BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Matt Gilmartin's 2nd Quarter Group- back in the pool! FULL HOUSE Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 25

2012-04-09 12:00 PM
in reply to: #4123663

Subject: RE: Matt Gilmartin's 2nd Quarter Group- back in the pool! OPEN
Matt, I'd like to be added to the group. I'm 48 and hoping to compete in my first sprint tri at the end of June. Swimming is my weakest discipline by far but bought Total Immersion and I'm hoping that makes a difference. Oh and I do have access to a swim coach, just not a triathlon swim coach. I like to train on my own so joining a group is something entirely new to me. Thanks.

2012-04-09 7:22 PM

User image

My wife called me today on my way home from work, and in a questioning tone (kinda angry), asked me what I ordered.

Confused, I said "Nothing, why?"  She told me there was a big box with my name on it sitting at the front door.

When I got home I opened it, and found boxes upon boxes of Wheaties Fuel!!!

Thank you Matt for giving me "a few boxes" which now sit as a pyramid on my dining room table. 

Side note: I'm getting back to running this week after being discharged last week from PT.  I plan on cycling a bit this weekend and starting back swimming next week.  I've still got a lot of season ahead!

2012-04-09 7:23 PM
in reply to: #4139311

User image

New user
Western North Carolina

Ha, that made me laugh. At my house it's the other way around, my husband, a mechanic, is always ordering something for his personal projects and I tend to get a little exasperated :-)

GatorRunner - 2012-04-08 8:22 PM

My wife called me today on my way home from work, and in a questioning tone (kinda angry), asked me what I ordered.

Confused, I said "Nothing, why?"  She told me there was a big box with my name on it sitting at the front door.

Thank you Matt for giving me "a few boxes" which now sit as a pyramid on my dining room table. 

Side note: I'm getting back to running this week after being discharged last week from PT.  I plan on cycling a bit this weekend and starting back swimming next week.  I've still got a lot of season ahead!

2012-04-09 7:25 PM

User image

New user
Western North Carolina

Hope everyone is having a great week! Sounds like many of us are getting close to that first tri. I'm trying not to think about it too much because I get nervous thinking about having to bike uphill.

Welcome to everyone who just joined, it's a great group!

2012-04-09 7:38 PM
in reply to: #4139311

User image

Master
Straight outta Compton
GatorRunner - 2012-04-09 6:22 PM

HAHAHA!  Dude, you should see my spare bedroom! I've got about 700 boxes still in there that I haven't been able to give away.  My kids love Wheaties FUEL- my son wears my team tech tee around the house.  Enjoy!

2012-04-09 7:53 PM

User image

Master
Straight outta Compton
BTW- Brian- yours are in my car ready to ship.  Will get them out to you this week.

2012-04-09 9:09 PM
in reply to: #4139319

Hey Matt!

Speaking of hills:

I noticed on the sprint tri I'm signed up to do, they have mapped out the bike route.   The bike route said there are no hills that qualified to be listed on the route.  Does that mean it really is totally flat, or there might be "small hills that don't change in elevation enough to be listed" or "short steep hills that aren't long enough to be listed" or what?! 

I have no clue how to guess elevation, all I know is everywhere I ride has hills.  So in essence, I feel I am mostly pushing hard, coasting, pushing hard, coasting. It's hardly ever a constant steady push which may be what this race is going to be like. 

PS: I know the logical answer would be to go drive or bike the course, but it's not something I can  do right now. 

2012-04-09 9:32 PM
in reply to: #4139561

User image

newbie99 - 2012-04-09 9:09 PM

Hey Matt!

Speaking of hills:

I noticed on the sprint tri I'm signed up to do, they have mapped out the bike route.   The bike route said there are no hills that qualified to be listed on the route.  Does that mean it really is totally flat, or there might be "small hills that don't change in elevation enough to be listed" or "short steep hills that aren't long enough to be listed" or what?! 

I have no clue how to guess elevation, all I know is everywhere I ride has hills.  So in essence, I feel I am mostly pushing hard, coasting, pushing hard, coasting. It's hardly ever a constant steady push which may be what this race is going to be like. 

PS: I know the logical answer would be to go drive or bike the course, but it's not something I can  do right now. 

I would think that maybe the hills are small and don't really qualify as a hill. I don't know...

As far as "pushing hard, coasting, pushing hard, coasting", my bike coach said that he NEVER coasts on the downhill portion of a hill. He continues to pedal and hammer it on the way down. He said that it's like free time - sort of like one of those people movers they have in airports. If you just stand on it, you will eventually get to where you are going, however, if you walk while on it, you will get there faster. 

Will you be able to drive the course before the event in order to at least have an idea of what the course looks like? 

Good luck and let us know what these "non-qualifying" hills really look like!

2012-04-09 9:56 PM

User image

Regular
WI

Finally found the new group.  Thought I lost everyone there for a while.

Didn't fare so well last week.  Went for a short run on Tuesday and the dull, nagging pain in my left knee was still at it, so I figured I'd take the rest of the week off to let it rest and test some theories.  If it were IT band it would go away and if the pain was still there I'd make an appointment to see the doctor.  Needless to say, I see the doctor on Thursday.  From there we'll see what they doc suggests and what options I have.  Hopefully it's not in the joint and I can rehab it. 

I've also been thinking about going to the Osteopathic Medical clinic down in Des Moines.  They have a sports medicine clinic.  The Med students are at local road races and give treatments afterwords.  Each time I've seen them their treatment has helped, unfortunately this stuff isn't covered by my insurance.  Hopefully I can get this stuff figured out relatively soon. 

2012-04-10 12:17 AM

Oops.  Just saw that you're closed the group yesterday.  Good luck everyone!

Edited by Cloverleaf 2012-04-10 12:23 AM
2012-04-10 9:31 AM
in reply to: #4139561

User image

Master
Straight outta Compton
newbie99 - 2012-04-09 8:09 PM

Hey Matt!

Speaking of hills:

April, they could be rollers with just a few feet of altitude change... what about calling the RD and asking?  Have you checked the "Races" portion of this site to see if anyone has written a race report for the race from the previous year?  Whenever I do a race I check BT beforehand- 

2012-04-10 9:41 AM
in reply to: #4139669

User image

Master
Straight outta Compton
phyre_cyclone - 2012-04-09 8:56 PM

Finally found the new group.  Thought I lost everyone there for a while.

Didn't fare so well last week.  Went for a short run on Tuesday and the dull, nagging pain in my left knee was still at it, so I figured I'd take the rest of the week off to let it rest and test some theories.  If it were IT band it would go away and if the pain was still there I'd make an appointment to see the doctor.  Needless to say, I see the doctor on Thursday.  From there we'll see what they doc suggests and what options I have.  Hopefully it's not in the joint and I can rehab it. 

I've also been thinking about going to the Osteopathic Medical clinic down in Des Moines.  They have a sports medicine clinic.  The Med students are at local road races and give treatments afterwords.  Each time I've seen them their treatment has helped, unfortunately this stuff isn't covered by my insurance.  Hopefully I can get this stuff figured out relatively soon. 

Christian, take care of it now- before it becomes a bigger issue.  I'm 39, and I've been told over and over that my knees are 79.  I wanted to get the Chicago Marathon in this year because I don't know how many more miles I have left before I can't do this stuff anymore.  Had I taken better care of my joints when I was younger I wouldn't have this issue.

That being said- orthopedics have come a long way.  If you have something wrong an arthroscopic surgery can do wonders.  They'll have you in and out in a morning, and the recovery can take a week or less, depending on what the diagnosis is.

2012-04-10 1:31 PM
in reply to: #4139343

User image

Regular
Olney, Maryland

Matt---I'd be happy to reimburse you for shipping if you'd like to send some my way.  I'll PM you my address.  BTW---I seem to recall that you ordered a bunch of Honey Milk around the same time that I did.  Wanted to give you a heads up to check the expiration dates on the case you received.  I just noticed that a few of the flavors that I got expire in April (grrrr)---seems to be the Chocolate and the Coffee ones.  The rest expire in September.  Can't thank you enough for recommending this----absolutely love it as a recovery drink and have also been using it as a meal replacement at work when I'm running around like a crazy woman between patients and don't have time to sit down and eat a real meal.  This is such a better alternative to the sugary crap that is always lurking in our break room. I'm attached to my computer right now because the Iron Girl Rocky Gap triathlon opens today  at 3pm Eastern time (race day is Sept 9)----the last Iron Girl event in Maryland sold out in less than 3 hours.  Am really hoping I get a spot---this will give me three sprint triathlons for the season (May, June, and Sept) as well as two marathons (beginning of October and end of October).  Not letting turning 40 get the best of me!

Edited by RobinRN 2012-04-10 1:32 PM
2012-04-10 8:15 PM

User image

I did it - I registered for a 100k bike ride! What have I done? I think I may have flipped my lid this time!! It's in 12 days...oh my...Surprised
2012-04-10 8:49 PM

User image

Master
Straight outta Compton
I'd just like to say for the record that I love this group :D
2012-04-10 8:55 PM

User image

Master
Straight outta Compton
Robin, smackdown for me- I noticed that too when my cases came.  Fortunately I supplement 2x a day with a protein shake, so my 3 cases are almost gone.   Lesson learned for both of us- the deals that are screaming "cheap" really are for a reason.  Sorry I recommended the bargain, I thought it was a great way for everyone to try a supplement.   Caveat emptor

2012-04-10 9:15 PM

I love this group, too! My ONLY connection to the tri world.  I have no coaches or training partners LOL    Smile

REPLY:

("As far as "pushing hard, coasting, pushing hard, coasting", my bike coach said that he NEVER coasts on the downhill portion of a hill. He continues to pedal and hammer it on the way down. He said that it's like free time - sort of like one of those people movers they have in airports. If you just stand on it, you will eventually get to where you are going, however, if you walk while on it, you will get there faster.")  

I really like the analogy of the airport mover.  The first time I COASTED down a hill and hit above 30mph I halfway freaked.  Had to suppress the "need for speed" because it was fun, but had to tell myself to gradually slow down that I'm not experienced enough on the bike to even hit a pebble or a bump without doing the obvious.   I'm working on it, though.  It makes me feel lazy to coast.  I'm just scared. LOL

2012-04-10 9:40 PM
in reply to: #4142285

User image

newbie99 - 2012-04-10 9:15 PM

I love this group, too! My ONLY connection to the tri world.  I have no coaches or training partners LOL    Smile

REPLY:

("As far as "pushing hard, coasting, pushing hard, coasting", my bike coach said that he NEVER coasts on the downhill portion of a hill. He continues to pedal and hammer it on the way down. He said that it's like free time - sort of like one of those people movers they have in airports. If you just stand on it, you will eventually get to where you are going, however, if you walk while on it, you will get there faster.")  

I really like the analogy of the airport mover.  The first time I COASTED down a hill and hit above 30mph I halfway freaked.  Had to suppress the "need for speed" because it was fun, but had to tell myself to gradually slow down that I'm not experienced enough on the bike to even hit a pebble or a bump without doing the obvious.   I'm working on it, though.  It makes me feel lazy to coast.  I'm just scared. LOL

My coach was the one that suggested no coasting...can't say that I'm brave enough yet to keep going instead of coasting. I came up with the analogy since that's the way I envisioned it in my head when he was talking about going down hills.

2012-04-11 1:59 AM

New user

Hi

I would like some advice or just others experiences/thoughts about how to run a HM.

I am going to run a HM on sunday, and I would really like to do it in less than 2 hours. I have run a 10k in Feb and 15k in March with the times (there was snow and slippery conditions during the 10k):

10k: 28:53+27:46 = 56:39

15k: 28:17+27:41+27:08 = 1:23:06

I believe I can run a negative split again during the HM, but I would like to know how you approach a HM as I have never run that far before. The nervousness is begining to build

2012-04-11 9:05 AM
in reply to: #4142323

User image

Master
Straight outta Compton

The problem with coasting is that the lack of movement makes it harder to get going again once you need to.  Think about how after a race you go and sit down- then you cannot get up again.  It's the same principle at work.  You're going to get stiff, blood stops flowing, and you're going to suffer.  Don't spin at a high cadence, just keep your feet moving and you'll feel better.

M

2012-04-11 9:07 AM
in reply to: #4142496

User image

Master
Straight outta Compton
Tigereye - 2012-04-11 12:59 AM

Hi

I would like some advice or just others experiences/thoughts about how to run a HM.

I am going to run a HM on sunday, and I would really like to do it in less than 2 hours. I have run a 10k in Feb and 15k in March with the times (there was snow and slippery conditions during the 10k):

10k: 28:53+27:46 = 56:39

15k: 28:17+27:41+27:08 = 1:23:06

I believe I can run a negative split again during the HM, but I would like to know how you approach a HM as I have never run that far before. The nervousness is begining to build

Those are awesome times!  I'm sure you'll finish under 2 hours... I'll let Aaron and Christian answer your question about pacing- they are our running studs in this group.

2012-04-11 9:11 AM
in reply to: #4136759

User image

Master
Straight outta Compton
mmez - 2012-04-08 1:07 PM

Our new tri team uniforms! The company messed up and put "bike jersey" pockets on the back instead of the zipper pocket that was ordered, so we may be getting new tops. I called the company to see if I could order a smaller size, so hopefully I'll get the next size down if we get new tops. When we made the initial purchase we could have opted to purchase (at our own expense) a tri-suit. Most of the team decided not to, as did I, however now I wish I would have oh well...too late now - live and learn.

ETA: having trouble uploading the picture...will keep trying.

Mariah- I don't know how I missed this-  very cool uniform!!!!  Despite it not being what you wanted it looks good on you!

2012-04-11 9:55 AM
in reply to: #4137364

User image

Master
Straight outta Compton

Runsw/Parker - 2012-04-08 11:50 PM Room for another? I've been talking about doing a tri for years but just recently found the courage to actually do it. There's a local race in May that will be the first. Still deciding between the sprint or international distance. After my bike ride today though, I'm thinking sprint! Plus, I've been told you want to enjoy your first race. I could use any encouragement and tips I can get! Would love to join the group.

you're in- can you send me a little information about yourself?

2012-04-11 9:57 AM
in reply to: #4138259

User image

Master
Straight outta Compton

Loosenut - 2012-04-09 11:00 AM Matt, I'd like to be added to the group. I'm 48 and hoping to compete in my first sprint tri at the end of June. Swimming is my weakest discipline by far but bought Total Immersion and I'm hoping that makes a difference. Oh and I do have access to a swim coach, just not a triathlon swim coach. I like to train on my own so joining a group is something entirely new to me. Thanks.

Sure, you can join in.  We're a swimming-focused group.  Send me your information and anything you want to share with the group.

2012-04-11 9:58 AM

User image

Master
Straight outta Compton

OK- here's our additional 2nd quarter members.  I'll go through the 1st quarter roster and edit tonight.

Welcome all!

douthi1/doug
Tigereye/Hjalte
fishracer/David
Runsw/Parker- need name
Loosenut- need name

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Matt Gilmartin's 2nd Quarter Group- back in the pool! FULL HOUSE Rss Feed  

of 25