BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Jenny (jsnowash)'s Spring Guinea Pig Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 23

2012-04-03 9:01 AM
in reply to: #4124019

User image

Veteran
Subject: RE: Jenny (jsnowash)'s Spring Guinea Pig Group - CLOSED

Jenny, a PM has been sent.

Bill

Edited by breger1 2012-04-03 9:16 AM

2012-04-03 10:43 AM

Regular
Toronto, Ontario
Does anyone have any workouts scheduled for today? I have a 1-hr ride on my trainer tonight and I'm not looking forward to it... I LOVE biking but having to do it on a trainer is not ideal.
2012-04-03 10:47 AM

User image

Veteran

Hi Jaycee!

I ran a 6.5 mile Wave run this morning with miles 3 and 5 at Tempo pace.  A bit slow on the tempo paces (7:45-ish) but having been sick for almost a month - that's kinda what I expected!

I'm planning to swim after work.  Somewhere between 800 and 1600 yards.  I may regret this but I may time this one!

Bill

2012-04-03 10:52 AM
in reply to: #4127023

User image

Master

jaycee6 - 2012-04-03 11:43 AM Does anyone have any workouts scheduled for today? I have a 1-hr ride on my trainer tonight and I'm not looking forward to it... I LOVE biking but having to do it on a trainer is not ideal.

I had 3x1 mile intervals this morning.  1.5 mile WU, 1 mile at 7:20, 0.75 miles at 9:10, repeat 2 more times, cool down.  Almost bagged on the intervals and just ran easy.  In the end handled it well and glad I went for it.

2012-04-03 10:53 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran

Strength Training tonight, with a little Treadmill action for me.

2012-04-03 12:04 PM

I'm probably going to do some lifting at the gym and maybe some biking tonight too.  Not sure how your trainer is set-up, but do you have a TV and DVD player available?

To fight boredom, I put a portable DVD player in front of my bike and just watch movies.  It took me a while to figure out how to set it up, but a visit to Guitar Center was key.  I bought a conductor music stand (they're quite sturdy) and put my portable DVD player on top of it.  A long earphone extension cord from Radio Shack helps keep the noise down, and voila...

I also use the same set-up in front of my treadmill.  It sure beats staring at a blank wall in my basement!

As for movie selections...that's a completely difference conversation... 

2012-04-03 12:44 PM

Hello everyone!  Here's my longer bio...

Name:  Brian

Story:  I've always been fairly active (soccer, cross country skiing (including roller skiing in non-snow months), cycling, running) and each year would watch Kona coverage.  I've always harbored an ambition to do a tri, but never got around to it.  Well, a few years ago, I watched Kona and there was an 80yo Catholic nun who was completing the race, and it wasn't her first time.  So I decided if she can do it, I can too.  I got on my bike the next morning and started training.  I completed my first tri in 2010.  So long story short, I guess I had some divine intervention.

Family Status: Married and a 5yo daughter.  

2012 races: somewhat light in terms of numbers - 1 Oly, 1 HIM and 1 IM - but it'll be a big test for me, especially since IMFL is in November and keeping up the training all the way until Halloween will be a challenge.   

Weightloss: I really don't weigh myself, but I know I've lost weight.  Put it this way, all my pants need to be taken in.  So no real weightloss goal per se, but wetsuits and tri kits are unforgiving...

Why I'm a Good Mentee: I'm still semi-new to tris, 2012 will be a big test for my training/racing abilities, and there is only so much you can learn/grow/develop on your own.  Tris are an individual sport on the day, but are really a team event - and I think this group (and all of our collective experience/goals/inspirations/etc.) will be very beneficial.

2012-04-03 1:08 PM
in reply to: #4127312

Regular
Toronto, Ontario
LarchmontTri - 2012-04-03 1:04 PM

I'm probably going to do some lifting at the gym and maybe some biking tonight too.  Not sure how your trainer is set-up, but do you have a TV and DVD player available?

To fight boredom, I put a portable DVD player in front of my bike and just watch movies.  It took me a while to figure out how to set it up, but a visit to Guitar Center was key.  I bought a conductor music stand (they're quite sturdy) and put my portable DVD player on top of it.  A long earphone extension cord from Radio Shack helps keep the noise down, and voila...

I also use the same set-up in front of my treadmill.  It sure beats staring at a blank wall in my basement!

As for movie selections...that's a completely difference conversation... 

Is it shameful for me to admit that I have my set-up pretty much this way already? If I had to stare at a blank wall I don't know if I would ever get any biking done. Embarassed It's nice to be biking outdoors and having landmarks to see how far I've ridden vs. riding to nowhere. I just have a verry short attention span. I recently moved downtown and don't have the nerve to do training rides in the midst of heavy traffic (cars & pedestrian) so I have to save my long outdoor rides for weekends when things are a little calmer.

2012-04-03 1:22 PM
in reply to: #4127564

Totally agree it's better to be outside, but you're right about the traffic in downtown Toronto.  Too much potential for accidents, yikes!

So, I guess we now have to discuss your dvd selections, right? Smile

2012-04-03 3:09 PM
in reply to: #4127595

Regular
Toronto, Ontario
LarchmontTri - 2012-04-03 2:22 PM

Totally agree it's better to be outside, but you're right about the traffic in downtown Toronto.  Too much potential for accidents, yikes!

So, I guess we now have to discuss your dvd selections, right? Smile

Hehehe... also shameful! I need lots of drama to keep me distracted interested while biking. aka. trashy reality tv?? Embarassed

On another note, I really need to motivate myself to get my workout done tonight. My dog decided that she HAD to be let out at 2:30 am last night so I'm in semi-zombie mode. Training last week did not go well since a lot of life got in the way so I need to step it up.

2012-04-03 5:21 PM

User image

Pro
Wallingford, PA
Just thought I would check in quickly and say Hi... I'm on a mini-spring break trip with the kids (just 1 night), hubby has to work this week, so it's just me & the kiddos. Sounds like you guys are keeping pretty busy!!

re: the discussion on trainer work, if you haven't seen it before, check out http://www.trainerroad.com/ It's an app you can download onto your computer. It gives you structured trainer workouts, which can be based on heart rate, power (if you have a power meter) or "virtual power" if you have a trainer with a known power curve. It's a great tool for helping with focused work on the trainer. Subscription is $10/month, and well worth it, IMO. You need a couple of things to use the program - it works using ANT+. You need an ANT+ usb stick (like this one from Garmin), and ANT+ heart rate strap (if you're using heart rate), or ANT+ speed sensor if you're using virtual power (if you have a power meter, it's probably ANT+...). All of my trainer workouts over the winter have been with Trainer Road. I teach spinning classes, and use it in my spin classes, too.... At home I set up my lap top in front of the TV - I watch something stoopid on TV and have the workout running in front. It can actually be a little tough to focus on whatever is on TV during some of the harder intervals, but it's nice to have something to distract me during the recoveries .

A couple of you PM'd me and asked my email - check your in boxes, I sent you replies. If anyone else wants my email to send forms, just PM me and I'll send it to you (I'd rather not post my email address on a public forum....)

Keep up the good work, folks!

2012-04-03 8:49 PM

User image

Veteran
Miles City, Montana

My workout this morning was a 60 minute spinning class that I teach.  My "students" push me more than they give themselves credit for.  I am not sure how the spinning will translate to the road biking that I have scheduled for later this weekend - my first time out on the road after the winter.  I know the form of some pedal strokes is different, but I am hopeful that the muscle memory and heart rate workout will pay off. 

My upcoming race is a 49 mile bike through some long gradual hills and some steep downhills.  Often, this race is run whether it is rain/snow/ice.  I did this one last year in driving sleet, but the bike route was all flat.  Any advice for downhill safety and road turns if it is slick?

My workout planned for tomorrow is just a plain jane morning run on the streets of town.  I was interested to read my fellow mentee's training plans that involve intervals with running.  I have a hard time doing those on the open road because I seem like as a runner I am in conservation mode to make the distance of the run or the time I have set.  I have done intervals on the treadmill, but should give it a go on the road too.  Are intervals designed to improve speed or just improve endurance?

Janette

2012-04-03 10:43 PM

New user
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

jaycee6 - 2012-04-03 11:43 AM Does anyone have any workouts scheduled for today? I have a 1-hr ride on my trainer tonight and I'm not looking forward to it... I LOVE biking but having to do it on a trainer is not ideal.

I ran a lovely 3 miles at lunchtime (the weather was amazing for a run!) and then went to a hot yoga class this evening.  It was nice to stretch things out a bit!

2012-04-04 5:12 AM
in reply to: #4128474

User image

Pro
Wallingford, PA
jaykayjay - 2012-04-03 9:49 PM

My workout this morning was a 60 minute spinning class that I teach.  My "students" push me more than they give themselves credit for.  I am not sure how the spinning will translate to the road biking that I have scheduled for later this weekend - my first time out on the road after the winter.  I know the form of some pedal strokes is different, but I am hopeful that the muscle memory and heart rate workout will pay off. 

My upcoming race is a 49 mile bike through some long gradual hills and some steep downhills.  Often, this race is run whether it is rain/snow/ice.  I did this one last year in driving sleet, but the bike route was all flat.  Any advice for downhill safety and road turns if it is slick?

My workout planned for tomorrow is just a plain jane morning run on the streets of town.  I was interested to read my fellow mentee's training plans that involve intervals with running.  I have a hard time doing those on the open road because I seem like as a runner I am in conservation mode to make the distance of the run or the time I have set.  I have done intervals on the treadmill, but should give it a go on the road too.  Are intervals designed to improve speed or just improve endurance?

Janette

Janette - what is your running background? Whether you include intervals & how to structure them would depend to some extent on your background, injury resistance, etc...
2012-04-04 7:47 AM

User image

Veteran

I did in fact go for the swim last evening.  850 yards only since I really just wanted to get a feel for the water and get a few fast bits in.  Felt tired, so it's a good thing I limited the swim.

I did another mini-Brick workout this morning.  10.2 miles biking, then a short 2 mile run.  I didn't want to do too much today with my 1st Sprint Triathlon coming up on Saturday.  (By the way, you will see I do the majority of my workouts - other than swimming - before work, early morning.  This is South Florida after all.)

Speaking of biking, I got to see my new Road Bike yesterday!  It has come in and the LBS has it built up.  Dang, it's a pretty Yellow thing!  But I can't pick it up till the 17th since the Bike Shop Owner/Bike Fitter is getting married and is going on his Honeymoon.

Harumph.  Imagine.  Going on his Honeymoon rather than fit me for the bike.  Wink

Janette, I will wait to hear what your running background is, as Jenny asked.  But I am a big proponent of Tempo runs and Fast Finish longer runs, rather than traditional Intervals/Speedwork.  Of course speedwork has it's place but only within the context of a solid running base, conditioning to limit injuries, and your running race goals.

Bill

Edited by breger1 2012-04-04 7:49 AM
2012-04-04 8:33 AM

User image

Veteran
Miles City, Montana

It would appear that I am the only "first timer" in this group?  I am beginning to see that as I read your posts and workouts.  Bear with me ....

As for my running history - it is very basic.  I have always just gone out for a run/jog and usually just picked a route and run it at the speed that the wind/ice/mood/terrain/ipod music dictated.  I have been consistantly running approximately 3 times per week for 4 years.  I average about about 12-15 miles per week.  Often I don't pay attention to my speed.  Most of my events over the last years have been fun runs in the 5K category with a couple 10K here and there.  My race times are the middle of my age group in the 8:30 to 9 range. 

I am seeing by your posts that training involves much more intentional efforts not just logging the time and the miles.  Hmm, I better pick a better plan ...

Janette

2012-04-04 10:17 AM

User image

Expert
Boise, Idaho

Did my first group ride of season.  Although my legs are a bit rusty, my cardio was good.  I was able to ride off the front all evening; climbing well and keeping great pacelines.  So I'm pretty stoked.  I have big plans for my cycling this summer, so this was a good confidence builder.

@Janette-EVERYBODY was a newbie.  So Feel free to ask away.  I probably wouldn't have lasted this long if it wasn't for BT Mentor groups and the forums.   Read lots of posts, use the 'search' feature to find answers to questions and ASK PEOPLE.  We've all been there; nervous, overwhelmed, tired, frustrated.  Just remember that most of your friends are sitting on their butts on a couch somewhere.

@Jen-Best advice is most obvious.  Go slow.  If rain has been falling for some time, then the road will be cleaned of all the slippery stuff and you'll have pretty good traction.  The roads are slickest when they're just a little wet.  All the oil and car fluids leech up from the road surface.

2012-04-04 10:32 AM
in reply to: #4129138

User image

Veteran
jaykayjay - 2012-04-04 8:33 AM

It would appear that I am the only "first timer" in this group?  I am beginning to see that as I read your posts and workouts.  

No you're not the only one.  I'm a first timer with Triathlon - I'm a newbie on both the Bike and the Swim.

Bill

2012-04-04 12:54 PM

User image

Master

Couldn't drag myself out of bed this morning so I snuck in a cycling workout at lunch (I am lucky that I work 2.5 miles from home and from the fitness club/pool).  I did 40' on the trainer as follows:

5' WU @ 75% FTP
5' @ 80% FTP
5' @ 85% FTP
5' @ 90% FTP
5' @ 95% FTP
5' @ 100% FTP
5' @ 105% FTP
1' @ 100% FTP
1' @ 95% FTP
1' @ 90% FTP
1' @ 85% FTP
1' @ 70% FTP

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/164699324

I've also got a "pain cave" set up in the basement.  Trainer and treadmill side by side.  TV mounted on swing arm, wired with cable and dvd.  Large fan on floor as well.  Makes it a bit easier to workout inside if necessary.  I'll typically run outside unless it is icy or very cold and windy.

2012-04-04 1:15 PM

Regular
Toronto, Ontario

GOOD STUFF!

I wish I had the luxury of proper lunch breaks!

I have a 6k run scheduled for today but may have to push it to a double work out tomorrow since I made plans for tonight.

Question: I am not an experienced runner. I can comfortably run 5-7km so what distance should I be running my "long runs". I am trying to build up my run endurance but I haven't really done a 10k distance training run yet so should I be pushing for that distance (or longer)?

I guess I'm just trying to see what I should be doing to safely push my running.

Happy hump day! (and long weekend!!)

2012-04-04 2:22 PM
in reply to: #4129989

User image

Master
jaycee6 - 2012-04-04 2:15 PM

GOOD STUFF!

I wish I had the luxury of proper lunch breaks!

I have a 6k run scheduled for today but may have to push it to a double work out tomorrow since I made plans for tonight.

Question: I am not an experienced runner. I can comfortably run 5-7km so what distance should I be running my "long runs". I am trying to build up my run endurance but I haven't really done a 10k distance training run yet so should I be pushing for that distance (or longer)?

I guess I'm just trying to see what I should be doing to safely push my running.

Happy hump day! (and long weekend!!)

Have you ever checked our BarryP's run plan (search on slowtwitch.com).  Take your weekly mileage and divide by 10.  That becomes your short run.  Mid distance run and long run are multiples of short run as follow (I will use 15 miles per week as example).

15 miles per week:
Tuesday - 1.5 miles
Wednesday - 3 miles
Thursday - 1.5 miles
Friday - 3 miles
Saturday - 1.5 miles
Sunday - 4.5 miles

I am a firm believer that consistent, frequent running does more to improve your running ability than anything.  Begin by doing all of the runs at an easy conversational pace.  Over time slowly increase weekly mileage following same plan.  You will be amazed how quickly your HR at your easy pace begins to decline.  Just my two cents.

2012-04-04 6:42 PM
in reply to: #4129138

Janette,We're all learning and growing as triathletes, so don't worry. I've completed a few races, but there is always something to learn and that is why I'm here (and I bet that's the same for just about everybody else too). Ask questions, read some of the other threads in the general triathlon message boards, and generally soak in as much as you can. There is a lot of 'free' learning that can be done. This group seems quite diverse too in terms of experience, so ask away.Brian
2012-04-04 7:01 PM

User image

Pro
Wallingford, PA
I'm back home! Had a nice little trip with the kids. We live outside of Philly - we took a little trip to Hershey. Stayed overnight at the Hershey lodge, and spent most of today at "Chocolate World" - where every time you turn around somebody else is giving you free chocolate.... I ate more chocolate in the past day and a half than I have, well, probably since I raided my kids' Halloween candy last October

Thanks to all who have sent your forms back. I will have some follow up questions to help me begin creating plans, and there will likely be some back and forth as we narrow in exactly what you're looking for. So - I need to know how you guys feel about follow up discussions - would you like to carry out those discussions here in the mentor forum (there might be things other folks can either learn from or chime in with ideas of their own) or would you prefer private discussion via PM or email? And it's okay if some of you feel okay with a more public discussion and others prefer to keep it more private. Whatever works for each of you individually is all good...

2012-04-04 8:04 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran

I just emailed you my forms

To answer your question I'm good with both.  I think that our success and failures can help others, and if it's something a person does not want to discuss openly they can deal with that one on one in private.

We are ready for you to turn us loose.

Edited by Hunting Triathlete 2012-04-04 8:06 PM
2012-04-04 10:19 PM
in reply to: #4130869

That photo is a bit weird, but I guess it gets the point across.  Let's just hope there aren't any pictures of guinea pigs in wetsuits or on bikes... ;-)

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Jenny (jsnowash)'s Spring Guinea Pig Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 23