BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Eriq's Mentor Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 17

2013-01-01 8:45 PM
in reply to: #4549295

User image

Subject: RE: Eriq's Mentor Group - OPEN
Hi Eriq,

I'd love to join the group if you still have room! I don't know a great deal about how this mentor program works, but if you're willing to answer questions and share your experience. I'd be thrilled to learn.

Background: I am 34, turning 35 in August - single with no kids. I live in Toronto, Ontario. I became active in Nov. 2011 after getting fed up with myself. Over the course of 2012, I lost 50 pounds. I did this by working with a personal trainer who taught me the basics of fitness from the ground up. He then dared me to run a 10k in May. Well, doing that race changed my life...I became addicted to testing my limits. I expect to be doing that for the rest of my life.

I did a try-a-tri in July and loved it - even though I couldn't ride a bike to save my life (I had to borrow one). I decided that I wanted to start doing triathlon in 2013 because they are fun and also offer years and years of improvement/learning.

Right now in a week, I do 2 strength sessions (previously with a trainer...now small group sessions); 3-5 runs (3 focused runs and sometimes 1-2 extra runs with a friend just learning. The extra miles are very slow, but I do count them in my mileage); 3 bike trainer sessions (can't bring my new tri-bike outside in the winter); Just started swimming consistently - plan is to go 2-3 times a week. I did swim non-competitively in HS and university though - so not starting from scratch.

Recent results...all from 2012 (this was my first year of racing)

SportingLife 10k (May) - 52:02
Try-a-try (July) - 55:35
Energizer Night Race 10k (Sept) - 51:28
Run for Heroes Half Marathon (Sept): 1:50:19
Scotiabank Toronto Waterfront Half Marathon (Oct): 1:51:21
Santa Shuffle 5k (Dec): 23:16 (Note, the race wasn't officially timed...so this was my Garmin time)

Upcoming races/Goals

5k Run for Homelessness (Miami while on vacation - April) - Goal: 22:30
Toronto Yonge St. 10k (April) - Goal: 47:00 (It's all downhill)
Toronto HM (May) - Goal: Under 1h48
Leamington Sprint Tri (June) - this is to set a benchmark for my other races since I don't know what my time could be. Non-time goal is to come in the top 50% of my AG.
Tour de Grand - 100k (not a race, but a bike event - June)
Belle River Sprint Tri (June) with a 30k bike leg: no goal time yet.
A RACE for Triathlon Seasion: Toronto Triathlon Festival - Olympic (July) - No goal time yet.
Tecumseh Triathlon - Sprint (July) - with a 30k bike leg: no goal time yet.
Toronto Island Triathlon - Olympic (August - tentative) - Likely treating this one as an "experience" since I'll be in the height of marathon training then. Won't be pushing too hard.
A RACE for Running Season: Run for Heroes Full Marathon (Sept): 3h40 minutes.

General Goals - Since I am doing a full marathon this year, I wanted to be a bit conservative in 2013 with respect to my tri goals. Mostly I see this as a year to learn how to cycle properly, gain triathlon race experience, and build base mileage. I have no idea how I'll do with real, consistent training under my belt...If I feel good at the end of the year, I will likely aim to do IMAZ in 2014.

Training Logs- I am on Training Peaks (free version) and Garmin Connect. GC - is only the uploads from my 210, where TP has everything. I am also getting a Garmin Swim to track my swim workouts (it's on order).

Thanks!

Jana

Edited by Sandtiger 2013-01-01 9:09 PM

2013-01-01 9:12 PM
in reply to: #4555280

Napa
HelloI'm Gilbert R. I'm currently living in napa ca. Current weight 205 lbs. I consider myself a athletic person always looking for a challenge. I'm currently in the gym 5 days a week and my background comes from boxing and Muay Thai. My recent race has been the Tahoe tough mudder and my time was 3 hrs due to having to wait in lines for obstacles. My point is the was no challenge there was just fun. I also have completed SF bridge to bridge run. I have been looking for something to challenge myself so I signed for the vineman 70.3. My weakness I swimming so I have paid for a trainer to help me with my swimming. I don't have a lot of data to show my results or current stats. I just purchased the timex global trainer hrm to help me log my workouts. What I need is encouragement, goals and someone to follow and learn from help me please.
2013-01-01 9:26 PM

User image

Gilbert, AZ

Hi All,

It's been fun reading your bios and backgrounds. Decided to investigate Training Peaks....like 2 hours ago! Wow, there is a lot to it! Even the free version has so much! I am still making my way around the functions playing with the views/data, since I was able to upload my workouts from my Forerunner 310XT for all of last year. I did log my swims manually in GC, so I'll have to go back to add those, but otherwise it's all there.  

It has been helpful to hear the number of "sessions" you all are incorporating into your training. I'll definitely be interested to hear feedback/reflection on what works and what doesn't.

I am currently trying to get 2 swims per week (one about 30 minutes, mostly drills, one an hour masters class that I can just manage to do 1800 meters-I'm really slow!), 2-3 bikes per week (one hour spin class and a long group ride of 35-40 miles, averaging 15-17 mph on Sundays) and 2-3 runs, including a weekly hour or so tempo workout and a Saturday long run of 2-3 hours. I am a 4:30 pace leader for Rock n'Roll Marathon in a few weeks, and I will be running with a friend (probably not racing...I think) the Phoenix Marathon in March, so I feel I need to keep my running miles up a little more than I would for straight tri training. But after the Phoenix Marathon and a week of spring break skiing in Vail, then I will ready to focus more on swim and bike! I am hoping to make at least one of my workouts a 30 minute swim/hour bike spin class brick, and I also thought about adding a short (20-30 minute) run after my long ride on Sunday. Any other brick recommendations?

Danelle

2013-01-01 9:39 PM
in reply to: #4557039

User image

Veteran
Inland Empire, CA

Sounds good. Let's focus on that swim and see what we can do to help you get this swim thing figured out for you.

I started triathlon with no swim background. I enjoyed body surfing in the summer, but that was extent of it. After about 2 months of just doing my own thing, no real plan, I got to about a 2:00-2:05/100yd for 500yds. Did some private lessons at the local community college and rec center, watched and read a ton on swimming but didn't really improve much. 3-4 yrs later I had only gotten to a 1:50/100yd for a 400.

I got a late start to my 2012 season and started in May. I really focused on the swim and changed my whole approach on swim training. Got more specific, had structured workouts, got in the pool 3 times/week instead of 2. My last field test in July (so only 3 months of training), I got down to 1:31/100yd for a 400. I had matched my 3-4 yr improvement in just 3 months by having real structure and added focus on the swim.

You need to embrace it! Work on your weakness and like you experienced, it will translate to better performance in your bike and run.

2013-01-01 9:48 PM
in reply to: #4557043

User image

Veteran
Inland Empire, CA

There's still room! You're #10. Awesome to read of your weight loss in 2012!!!

Good to hear that you're bringing a fair amount of fitness to the table. It will definitely be a good start. And it looks like you are already spending a fair amount of time SBRing a week. How many hrs would you say? You say you want to build a base, but guessing from your running, I'd say you have a pretty good engine than most. Sub-23 5k, say what?! Tongue out

You have a busy season planned. Hopefully you don't burn out. And if you wouldn't mind sharing your TP account with us. I will chime in when I can and we can also hold each other accountable to doing the work. Plus I think everyone in the group could also learn a lot from it. You can check mine out in my signature.

2013-01-01 9:55 PM
in reply to: #4557075

User image

Veteran
Inland Empire, CA

Great to hear you found triathlon. Believe me, it will always be challenging!

Since you know have a watch, I encourage you to start logging your workouts, whether it be here at BT or maybe TrainingPeaks or Stava. Take your pick. Make it public and share with the group so that we can keep you honest on doing the hard work and help teach each other things along the way.

2013-01-01 10:13 PM
in reply to: #4557094

User image

Veteran
Inland Empire, CA

Cool. I love TP!

Swimming is swimming. You need to do a lot of it to improve. Especially since it is so technique driven. But I'd caution against doing a lot of drills. From my experience, a lot of drills just makes you a good driller, not necessarily a good swimmer. And don't worry about being slow, we were all there before.

I'm pleased to see the varying intensities in your bike and run. A good spin class will have you switch from high cadence to low candence/high resistance type work so should be a good mix. And then nice to see that you have a tempo run.

KEY LESSON FOR EVERYONE:you will not get faster SBRing by going the same pace, all the time. Just doesn't happen. You need to mix it up with the intensities.

Bricks. Some see benefit from the swim/bike. People with inner ear imbalances or other balance type issues have problems being horizontal for a long time in the swim and then being vertical on the bike. I, for one, don't have those issues so I don't swim/bike brick. But if you are, then by all means, that adaptation from swim to biking should be beneficial. The other brick sounds just fine.

Some people get in a rut by doing an endurance type effort on the bike and then an endurance effort on the run. I like to mix it up by doing intervals on the bike and then jumping right off and doing some tempo type work on the run. Similar to race-like conditions. The more you practice it, the easier it will be come race day. And really try to simulate race day conditions on brick workouts. Have your shoes and visor laid out like you would in transition. Keep that transition time to a minimum. Don't take too long of a break in between.

Trick if you are biking indoors on a trainer, then running outdoors with your GPS watch. Turn on your watch before hand and leave it by a window. That way when you start the run, you are not waiting around to get a satellite signal.

Edited by eriqpimentel 2013-01-01 10:20 PM
2013-01-01 10:15 PM

Hey all, sorry for new getting back to the group sooner with my info, but it's been a busy couple of days with family in town for the holidays and all, so without further adieu...

STORY - My name is Brian and I live outside New York City.  I'm entering my 4th season of triathlons, and really enjoy both the training and racing.  I got interested in tris, as many folks seem to, by watching the annual Kona coverage.  I was sitting on my couch watching it some 4 years ago right around Christmas and saw an 80 year old nun complete Kona.  I had always been interested in tris and thought if she can do, so can I.  So I registered for a Oly race the following June and got hooked.

FAMILY STATUS - married, one 6yo daughter.

CURRENT TRAINING - just started serious training again.  I raced IMFL in early November and have taken some downtime since.  I did some easy biking and running in Nov and Dec, but largely took a mental and physical break during the holidays.  Now it's Jan 1, so it's time to get back into the swing of things.  

2012 RACES - 2 Olys, 1 HIM (6:22) and IMFL (14:46).

2013 RACES - Musselman HIM (Geneva, NY) in July, and Syracuse 70.3 in June.  I'll probably throw in one or two Olys along the way.  And of course Kona, if the lottery gods are kind to me.

GOALS - doing two HIMs within 3 weeks of eachother in June and July, and sub 6hrs at the second of the two races.  

TRAINING LOG - I use BT, and keep it fairly up to date.  I'm not too much into data and measurements - I don't own a heart rate monitor or a Garmin, and I don't use a training plan.  My training philosophy is relatively simple - mostly volume, some speed word, listen to my body and rotate through the disciplines.  I'll typically run 2-3x per week, bike 2-3x per week and swim 1-2x per week.  I try to stretch every morning and do some abs/light strength training a few times per week as well.  So long story short, I typically train 7-9 hours per week.  It's not much compared to alot HIM/IM plans, but I'm consistent, and I think that's the key.

I think that's about it, right?  Let me know if you have any questions and I look forward to getting to know everybody in our group.

2013-01-01 10:15 PM

whoops, double post.  

Edited by LarchmontTri 2013-01-01 10:16 PM
2013-01-01 10:57 PM
in reply to: #4557150

User image

Veteran
Inland Empire, CA

Great. If you're mainly focusing on HIM (aside from Kona depending on the lottery gods), having done a full in late 2012 should set you up well. What will be interesting is to see how much fitness has been lost in the 2 months since.

While I wouldn't suggest not having a plan, if it works for you, it works for you. Everyone else, HAVE A PLAN! Laughing [I wrote some stuff about Ryan Hall, whom I cheer for, but deleted it.] HAHA. But seriously, have a plan!

And 7-9 hrs is doable with the right focus. I trained for IMAZ this past year and my peak weeks were about 13 hrs and there were VERY few of those.

KEY LESSION FOR EVERYONE: Consistency is the key! Well one of the keys. If you want to see improvement in your performance, you have to be consistent. There are no magic pill, no shortcuts, just plain ol' hard work.

Any goals or focus areas you'd like to work on this upcoming season?

2013-01-01 11:25 PM
in reply to: #4555280

New user

Eriq- 

This is a quick bio: I logged around 1250 miles (running) last year. 1 Marathon, 7 1/2 Marathons, 3 10ks, and one 200 mile relay and one indoor Tri.  I am not not fast, just middle of the road.  Most half marathons are around 2 hours.  I currently do 1 track day a week and one long run and a couple days mid mileage with hills (4 to 6 miles on those days)

I am just starting on learning to swim.  A successful day in the pool right now is completing a 50 without needing to rest and catch my breath before  starting in for another lap.  (That is so embarrassing to say)  I was very shocked how my cardio from running does not translate to the pool at all.  So I don't even feel like I can start a swim workout yet...curious what you think about that?

I don't own a bike yet.  I need one but will not be seriously ready to buy until April.  I will be doing a class for tri cycling twice a week for the next three months.  A power meter class (Im sure I will learn what that is too)

Things I am hoping to learn here.  What to invest in first?  Do I need a Heart Rate Monitor? I feel overwhelmed by all the different programs to track on.  I current use Nike GPS for my running, but that I will have to give up.  I just downloaded Split Multisport app. which seems like it could be helpful?

Races and goals: I have signed up for 10K Series of 7 races, a couple 1/2 marathons and the Hood to Coast Relay again.  I haven't signed up for any Tri's yet.  Not sure what is realistic.  I was given the advice to start with the Sprint and develop my speed instead of going for the longer distances and training myself into slow"ness".  What do you think of that concept?  I would like to maintain around 1200 miles a year with my running as a goal.

I hope that helps paint a picture of my situation.  Thanks Nicole (NoBadDays1)

2013-01-02 12:53 AM
in reply to: #4557193

User image

Veteran
Inland Empire, CA

Ragnar?! I want to do one of those, team of 6 though. =P

You're cardio will translate to the pool, just need to give it a min. Swimming is technique driven so that should be your main focus starting off. I'd think you'd be able to get more than a 50 in. Might have to do with your breathing. You uncomfortable in the water? A bit of uneasiness every time you get in? As they say, "Embrace the suck."

People get caught up in spending a lot of money in this sport. While you can, there is no need. Get a bike. There's always people selling used bikes on slowtwitch.com. 

KEY LESSON FOR EVERYONE: Best investment?! Get a bike fit! You'll enjoy being on the bike more. Believe me!!! More comfort. Less risk of injury. Better power output. Legs will be fresher for the run.

No need for a heart rate monitor (HRM). A lot of pros and pro coaches have gone away from HRM training. More about rate of perceived effort (RPE), bike power, run pace.

I always suggest starting with a sprint. Get your feet wet. Don't try to take on too much to start.

2013-01-02 1:07 AM
in reply to: #4557225

New user

I live in Oregon and the relay is Mt Hood to the Pacific Ocean.  They call it the Mother of All Relays, Hood to Coast.  It has been going for over 30 years now.  Pretty fun and similar concept as Ragnar.  

Yes,  I am uneasy in the water.  I have a group I swim with and someone giving me pointers but haven't paid for full coaching in the pool.  I will just have to up my time in the pool till I get over that breathing issue.  Then maybe I can do some real swim workouts.  

2013-01-02 1:07 AM

User image

Hi Eriq, I'd like to apply for your group.

Background: My name is Maureen and I'm a 43 yr runner, married for 15 yrs this February, and proud mama of 2 Alaskan huskies and 1 Caribbean mutt.  I'm currently coming off a back injury.  Ok, "coming off" is the wrong term.  I'm in the midst of it.  I ran the Equinox marathon in September (Fairbanks, Alaska), Chicago Marathon in October, and then a HM in Chicago 2 weeks later.  I was fine when I returned to my little whaling village in Alaska, but I must have slept weird the first night bc I awoke with horrible lower back pain, spent 3 weeks on my back in bed as there is no real medical facility where I live beyond first responders, smuggled some painkillers from friends so I could get back on a plane to Chicago for an MRI, and voila - I have a herniated disc.  I'm in week 6 of PT now, and I haven't run a lick since Oct 24.  I can't even walk for very long without horrible pain.  I'm not sure when I'll be cleared to run again (I got elliptical clearance 2 weeks ago with a 30 min limit), but I'm in the pool almost daily and doing ST at the gym. And I'm going to stay in Chicagoland thru at least March to recuperate and continue PT, before returning to my family in frozen north.

I've never been a fast runner, but I love doing it and have been running for years, and I've always loved swimming and biking as my XT, which is why I like tri, though I haven't participated in a tri in about 4 or 5 yrs.  My original plan was IM Wisconsin in 2013, but a shoulder injury last Thanksgiving put the kibosh on that bc I had to massively cut down my swimming.  I then decided this summer since my shoulder was feeling stronger again to start training for IM Wisconsin 2014, but now this wretched back thing... and that's a pretty unpredictable injury in terms of recovery.  At least my doc and PT are pretty tight lipped about when I'll again be road worthy, though both are hopeful I can avoid surgery. 

So I'm here bc I'm hopeful of a full recovery. I've never done an IM before, and while I can't even sit right now (meaning biking is OUT for the time being) and I don't have the go ahead yet to try running, I can swim, and I can keep myself motivated by hanging out with like-minded people - even virtually.

My life is pretty bizarre for a variety of reasons, not the least of which is where I live (go to Google maps and do a search on Ilisagvik College, Barrow, AK, and then un-zoom all the way out so you can see just where that is...).  No pavement. No pool. No gym.  No sun for 3 months.  A 400 sq quonset hut is my home. Polar bears year round are a real issue for runners.  Training is a challenge for sure.  On the bright side, my job allows me a lot of freedom and the ability to travel, so finding 20-25 hrs a week is not difficult, and there are gyms and pools wherever I go.

My goals are thus:

1) Get my back in shape

2) Improve swim technique in hopes of increasing speed. I'd love to comfortably do 2.4m in sub 60.

3) Run faster.  I'm a 4:30 marathoner.

4) IM in under 15 hrs would be awesome, but to participate and finish healthy is the real goal. 

I'm determined to come up with solutions and make it work once my back starts to cooperate.  While I'm working on that, can I hang out in this group?

2013-01-02 1:24 AM
in reply to: #4557227

User image

Veteran
Inland Empire, CA

Ah yes, Hood to Coast. Learn to enjoy being in the water. Then you can start really improving your swim. It's very mental. Just like making the transition from the pool to the open water. My buddy could do a 4000yd swim workout. First time in the open water, a still river, he couldn't take more than 10 strokes without freaking out. Embrace it.

2013-01-02 2:45 AM
in reply to: #4557228

User image

Veteran
Inland Empire, CA

Another dog person awesome! My wife and I want huskies but our walls are much too short and weather gets way too hot. We'll stick with our corgi. =)

Wow. Hopefully everything is okay with your herniated disc. That'd be the most important thing, is to recovery, no doubt about that. But in the mean time, since you can swim, let's work on that for sure!

Welcome to the group. Feel free to hangout. Whatever questions you may have, ask away. Look forward to your recovery so we can work on that run of yours.

2013-01-02 2:59 AM

User image

Veteran
Inland Empire, CA

Setting Goals and a Training Plan

First, set some goals. Easy, right? Most people have heard about SMART goals and you need to do this in your training. Here’s quick rundown on SMART goals.

• Specific
  • Measurable
  • Achievable
  • Relevant
  • Timeline

Bad goal example – Improve my run
Good goal example – Improve my run to a 6:00/mile in 1 mi run field test by March 1, 2013.

The bad example is way too general and how do you quantify improvement? So in this example, I added a pace goal to it. For me, 6:00 for a 1 mile test would be achievable as the last time I tested, I ran a 6:30 back in July. If I set a goal to run a 5:00; there’s no possible way I’d be able to run that (not yet at least). It’s relevant as it's running and has to do with triathlon. I wouldn’t set a goal of so many leg squats of a certain weight, right? And then I gave myself a time that it needs to be accomplished. Now I really have something where I can hold myself accountable.

For some of you, these goals might be cross the finish line of my first sprint tri or first IM on [insert date here]. Awesome!!! Whatever it might be, set some goals, short-term, long-term, etc. 

Now that we have a goal, we need a road map to get there. To me, one of the keys to success (in anything really) is having a clear cut plan.  There’s a ton of different ways to go about putting together a training plan like purchasing a pre-built plan, hiring a coach to put one together for you, putting it together yourself with the input from others, etc. Of course you also need to be flexible with the plan. But in the end, you should have one. Period.

While putting said plan together, there are a ton of factors to consider. Race dates, current fitness, time between now and race day, time available to train, time to get from home to the pool or bike/run trail, family, vacations, work, etc. There’s a ton!!! And this is where you need to be EXTREMELY honest with yourself (and your coach if you have one). If you do not consider these things, you are setting yourself up for failure. You need to be honest with your situation, your training, and your goals so that it is achievable.

Now that you have your goals and your plan to achieve them, let’s go after it! Go out and train. You’ll have great days, terrible days, and everything in between. I had days where I kill a workout and then the next day I’m lying in the grass or on the sidewalk considering calling my wife to pick me up because I don’t think I will be able to get home on my own power. However things go, record it. That way, you can look back on your training to see what worked, what didn’t, what you did right, what you did wrong, did you improve, did you regress, etc. From there, you can continue building your plan to ensure that you are doing the things that work for you to get you to your goals.

So there you go:

Set some goals and make a plan to reach them.
Record and analyze your results compared to your plan and goals.
Wash, rinse, repeat.

Thoughts?!

2013-01-02 5:15 AM
in reply to: #4556785

User image

New user
Watford

Hi Eriq,

Thanks for your comments – this is exactly what I needed and what I hoped the mentor program would provide me, so firstly thanks for taking the time to help.

In answer to your questions about why I added weight session.  I did read somewhere that it’s a good idea to have a strength sessions, and to be honest I quite enjoy doing weights, but I certainly see your point about using the session more efficiently.

I also totally agree with your point about me missing a brick session for bike to run. 

One question (and this shows how new I am to this) – what is SBR?
I’ve rearranged the training and added some notes about what each session would be. Due to time constraints I doubt I’d train for a longer time, but the intensity should increase over time.

Could you please let me know what you think, in case I’ve misunderstood your suggestions?

Monday Swim – 30-40 min

Series of sprints and technique improving exercises.

Tuesday Bike – 45 min

Power intervals of about 10 mins.  Some hill climbs, some sprints on low rpm.

Wednesday -  Swim (20min) /Bike (30min)  brick session

Just go as far as I can in the time.

Thursday – Run (50 min)

This is my current training run, which is about 10k.

Friday – Bike (40 min) / Run (20 min)

Just go as far as I can in the time.

Saturday - off

Sunday – Run (50 min)

Hill intervals.

Two (or more) of Tues, Thurs, Fri will contain evening ‘core’ session which will involve non-weight strength exercises such as press-ups, crunches, plank etc.

2013-01-02 5:57 AM

User image

New user
Watford
One final thing I forgot, once I've finalized the plan I'll add targets, mainly distance related.
2013-01-02 10:15 AM

@Tony - SBR...Swin, bike, run.  And if I can throw in my two cents about strength training.  As triathletes, we don't want to bulk up too much because that's not necessarily helpful in an endurance race....in other words, carrying too much weight, whether fat or muscle, isn't helpful.  That said, upper body strength does help with the swim leg, so if you're weight training, I would focus mostly on the upper body.  And I think it goes without saying that core strength is helpful in all three SBR disciplines.  I would skip most of the regular lower body strength training, our legs get enough of a workout during biking and running...at least that's my view.  Perhaps Eriq will have a different opinion.

BTW, saw that you're from Watford.  You a Watford fan?  I have the 'unfortunate' position of being an Aston Villa fan, which as you probably know, has been a very painful existence for the better part of the past 10-15 years.  Oh well, hopefully the January transfer window and the second half of the season are kind to us.  Relegation isn't in my vocabulary, but it's starting to creep in...

2013-01-02 10:30 AM

User image

I'd like to join this group. I'm new to triathlons and just started working out again last June after many years off. I'm in my late 40's and was getting that mid-life spread. I started just doing some bike riding for fun and exercise and quickly began to see my rides go from 4 mile to 10 to 15 or 20. I was a swimmer in high school so I began swimming just to add some variety. My wife half joking told me if I started to run I'd be able to do a triathlon. Challenge accepted, I began to run and have competed in three 5k races.

Since June I've lost 16 pounds and work out 3-5 days a week. I alternate between swim, run, rowing machine, bike (stationary in winter) and some strength training. I usually swim between a mile to a mile and a half, run 2 to 3 miles and bike 40 minutes. I really don't know if I'm doing things correctly but my 5k time for my first race was 26:47 and my most recent race on 12/8 I ran 23:16 so I've made some decent improvement.

A few weeks ago I signed up for my first triathlon, the Flower City Challenge in Rochester, NY at the end of April. It's a non-traditional event 5k run-20 mile ride-3 mile kayak. I'm hoping to do at least 2 more over the summer. Any advice or guidance is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

John Schrenker

Edited by Jschrenker 2013-01-02 10:42 AM

2013-01-02 10:55 AM
in reply to: #4557274

User image

Veteran
Inland Empire, CA

You're welcome! And I figured as much about the weight session. "Strength" will not necessarily make you faster. +1 to what Brian said that general strength won't help in an endurance race. It needs to be functional to what you are trying to accomplish. So definitely try what I had mentioned in the previous post as opposed to just hitting the weights. It's strength training specific to the sport in addition it will provide an aerobic stimulis. 

SBR = Swim, Bike, Run Wink

The swim, I would recommend adding some structure, and not just sprints. I can address this later as I think a lot of people are looking to work on this area.

Power Intervals (PIs) of 10 mins will be tough. 30 secs to 2 mins. I doubt you have a power meter so these will have to be done on rate of perceived exertion. For one you would have to determine your functional threshold power (FTP). This is the maximum effort that you maintain on the bike for 1 hr. PIs would be about 110-nearly 275% of this effort. Check out my training log for 1/1/13. My FTP is 192 and I did 10x1min PIs ranging from 251-267w. After that, I barely held on to do a 20min tempo effort. Power zones are in the right hand corner of the workout.

There are also a ton of different strength workouts you can do on the bike. Let me know if you want me detail on this.

And your schedule looks better. I like the longer swim on Mon. You won't be so rushed and can work on a few things. Also like seeing the brick that you've added. Intervals are a necessary evil. Some people hate them. Me, I love it. Bring the pain!!!

2013-01-02 10:55 AM

User image

Thanks for the welcome!

I do realize I have a lot of races planned - and that part of that is a feeling of making up for lost time (34 years worth!). Some of them I am not going to register in advance for, in case I need more down/training time. Other than the big ones (The Toronto Triathlon and the RFH Marathon), I figure I can make final decisions closer to the date (i.e., a month before). I have no desire to get injured!

Any ideas on how to balance racing with training from your experience? I am not really sure how to make sure I don't overload on races and therefore end up with not enough quality training time. I read somewhere that I should have a couple of big priority races to focus on - and to use other races more for training/experience. But maybe I am way too optimistic.

Hours a week of training...started around 3-5 near the beginning of the year, moved to 5-7 over the summer. Nov/Dec I believe I was between 7-9 most weeks. Only did 5.5 over Christmas Week though. Adding swimming, I'm guessing I'll be averaging about 8-10 hours a week from here on in.

I was thinking more in terms of Swim & Bike as opposed to Run when I referred to base building. I assumed I needed a base in each sport - and with a new tri-bike (I went direct to a tri-bike, so have a lot to learn), figured time in the saddle (even just on a trainer) should be a priority over worrying about speed. For swimming, I am still trying to get a sense of where I am at after years of not doing much of it. I think I did around 1500-1800 meters easy the first couple of times I went to the pool before Christmas. Once I have the tracking watch, I will know for sure.

How do I make my TP account public? Do I need to change a setting?

I will say that while I have a year of training in there - the mileage, etc. isn't completely accurate. I only started recording distance (For non-Garmin and inside workouts) consistently recently.

Thanks again! (And I hear you on having a plan...I really wasn't concerned about anything last year other than "doing stuff consistently" -- but know that I really need to have a set schedule moving forward - especially if I want to get ebtter. Thanks for the tips. Will work on something this week!

Jana

2013-01-02 10:59 AM
in reply to: #4557778

User image

Veteran
Inland Empire, CA

Welcome to the group. That puts us at 12. Grats on your 5k PR. This group is turning out to have a solid bunch of runners. And I'm looking forward to what you may add to swim discussions. Though depending on your swim philosophies, there might be some good debate, which is welcome and encouraged.

So welcome aboard. Whatever advice I can possible give, I will give. Have questions? Ask away!

2013-01-02 11:24 AM
in reply to: #4557179

eriqpimentel - 2013-01-01 11:57 PM

Great. If you're mainly focusing on HIM (aside from Kona depending on the lottery gods), having done a full in late 2012 should set you up well. What will be interesting is to see how much fitness has been lost in the 2 months since.

While I wouldn't suggest not having a plan, if it works for you, it works for you. Everyone else, HAVE A PLAN! Laughing [I wrote some stuff about Ryan Hall, whom I cheer for, but deleted it.] HAHA. But seriously, have a plan!

And 7-9 hrs is doable with the right focus. I trained for IMAZ this past year and my peak weeks were about 13 hrs and there were VERY few of those.

KEY LESSION FOR EVERYONE: Consistency is the key! Well one of the keys. If you want to see improvement in your performance, you have to be consistent. There are no magic pill, no shortcuts, just plain ol' hard work.

Any goals or focus areas you'd like to work on this upcoming season?

Eriq - I agree that most folks should have a plan, but imho, folks should also realize they were created for an 'average' person.  Everybody's fitness levels, work-life-training balance, motivations, etc., are different, so while having a plan is good, I would argue that a plan is only starting point.  You'll need to add in a good amount of flexibility to make it work specifically for you.  (BTW, I don't understand the Ryan Hall reference, but oh well.)  

Not having a plan (or a coach) was fine for my IMFL training last year, and that's what I'm planning to stick with given my work-life-tri balance.  I read through a bunch of plans from various sources, so I generally know what the typical plans calls for, but since my work schedule is all over the place, it's hard for me to stick to a plan.  And besides, in terms of goals, I'm not worried about podium spots...I'm out there to get/stay fit and enjoy racing.  If I were more focused on finish times and thought I had a chance to KQ or VQ, I would probably have a different view of training plans.  But since those aren't in the cards, I take a less structured approach to training.  

Having said this, don't mistake what I just wrote for goofing off or not training...I'll get my training done, I just follow my own path.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Eriq's Mentor Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 17