BT Development Mentor Program Archives » OPEN -TRI (Totally Radical Improvement) - Clydes/Athenas to competitors Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2013-06-04 6:51 AM
in reply to: BigPaulD

User image

Extreme Veteran
Virginny
Subject: RE: OPEN -TRI (Totally Radical Improvement) - Clydes/Athenas to competitors

Hi all -

You seem a tad short on athenas here. May I join?

NAME: Rebecca

MY STORY: I have been doing sprints and oly's for 10 years. I am 39 (today!) and want to do a HIM before turning 40. My goal race is at the beginning of September. I did a (horrible) oly this past weekend and have a lot of work to do. I signed up for coaching but I basically need encouragement. I also covet tips from other larger athletes on how to finish that HIM. It has an 8 hr cut-off, and I'm afraid I'm not going to make it. If I blow up on the run, I'm not going to make it. So!

FAMILY STATUS: I have been married 6 years, got my hubby into racing. He is planning on his first marathon this Nov. I have a 4 yr old and a 16 mo old, both boys.

CURRENT TRAINING: Doing silver HIM plan. Up til now, I have not gotten in the full plan - it's pretty high volume. Since school has ended (I'm a chemistry professor) I should be able to get much closer to targets. I don't want to increase volume too fast though... Want to avoid injuries.

2013 RACES: I have another oly planned, either for July or August... still waffling. Big HIM in Sept.

WEIGHT LOSS PLANS: I have lost 60 lbs since having the baby.  I would like to lose 10 to 15 more mostly because it will make me faster. But I'm going to have to actually start calorie counting or something. Stop drinking coke and eating candy bars might help. I need to take healthy snacks to work. I get SO hungry I break down and go to the vending machine. Ahem.

Looking forward to hearing everyone's journey this season!

Cheers~

2013-06-04 4:59 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

, Massachusetts
Subject: RE: OPEN -TRI (Totally Radical Improvement) - Clydes/Athenas to competitors
Originally posted by miche033

Hi all -

You seem a tad short on athenas here. May I join?

Hey Rebecca! Despite the name (and ambiguous pic, heh), I'm an athena too -- represent!

Edit: also scientists represent; physicist here.

Edited by irq 2013-06-04 5:02 PM
2013-06-05 6:22 PM
in reply to: irq

User image

Extreme Veteran
Glasgow, UK
Room for another one? I'll be back with the biog if you do have!
2013-06-05 9:08 PM
in reply to: Kate_r

User image

Extreme Veteran
Virginny

The more, the merrier!

How's everyone doing?? I'm looking at some challenging workouts this week: 2.5 hr run, open water swim, 4 hr bike are the biggies. Anyone have any OWS advice? I mean, swimming in a current, in particular. Got hammered at my last race and trying to prepare for my big on in Sept.

2013-06-06 5:34 PM
in reply to: miche033

User image

Veteran
Rebecca - are there OWS races in your area? Are you near Virginia Beach or the shore? As it gets warmer I do almost all of my training outside - most of it in the ocean rather than in the way. By forcing myself to contend with waves, currents and other challenging situations I have found when my races are in bays or lakes the only thing I need to stress about is getting kicked or whatever contact may come from another swimmer.

Once you have tried sighting and swimming to buoys in the ocean - sighting and swimming straight just come easier in less difficult waters.
In regards to your long run - make sure you hydrate before, during and after - its starting to get hot and humid again on the east coast and one session where you suffer from heat can ruin the next three days.

I was supposed to swim/run today but got stuck at work for 14 hours and am less than 30 minutes from bedtime now that I have made dinner for the kids, packed their lunches and got them showered. Now I need to shower and get to bed and hope tomorrow is a better day at work so I can get today's session in ... ugh ...
2013-06-07 9:25 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Virginny

Paul -

I am near Richmond. All my races are in tidal rivers, not the ocean. So that's what I'm trying to practice in. But that only happens a couple times a month. Tonight is supposed to be a supported OWS in the James, but we have tropical storm Andrea in town so I'm guessing it will be cancelled. Boo!

I do need to do more hydration. Planning on running in the heat since it will probably be 1 pm before I am running in my HIM!

14 hrs is a long day. Hope today's better for you!

-R

2013-06-10 6:37 PM

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
Hi guys,

First thing is hello to the new members. Hopefully we can all help each other reach our goals.

Well, I’ve been a bit missing in action the last few weeks. Nasty, wet, cold weather has hurt my motivation, and a few trips out of town for work has hurt the opportunity for training. Those 2 have combined to give me the biggest break I’ve had from training since October/November 2011. I’ve been doing a bit, but it’s been 3-4 hours/week. Not 8-10 like it has been.

And I’ve got another trip away next week too, I’ll pack my running shoes, but realistically would be surprised if I got the opportunity for more than 1 run over the 4 day trip.

But, despite the upcoming, enforced light week, rest time is over… and I’m chomping at the bit to get back into things. I’ve had a bit of a think about what I want to achieve, and how to go about doing that.

First thing, a 2nd half ironman, in December, is going to be my ‘A’ race for the rest of the year.
Second thing, I recognise that my weight is a massive part of what is holding me back, so I have decided that I need to do something about it.

So I am going to divide the rest of 2013 into 2 separate parts,

Firstly, for a period of 10-12 weeks I am going to focus exclusively on weight loss. I will continue to train during that time. But the training will be limited in duration and intensity so I can try to lose as much fat as I can. I’m going to go back to counting calories, I have had success with this before last year after 100 consecutive days using the MyFitnessPal app I go to my lowest ever weight of 96kg (I raced the northern crossing at 103, and today am up to 106+ )

And secondly a 4 month build up to the HIM in December. I will still plan to be in a calorie deficit at this stage, but will be focused more on building fitness, and increasing the training load to properly prepare for the race. In the 2nd half of 2012 I trained really well, and exceeded my expectations at my Olympic tri in December last year. I’m going to look back at what worked well then, and apply it again this year. Only tweaking things a bit to adjust to the longer goal race.

Hope everyone is going well, train hard, but have fun people!
2013-06-13 6:22 PM
in reply to: bulfrog

User image

Extreme Veteran
Glasgow, UK
NAME: Kate

MY STORY: I started racing in 2007 and have slowly been working my way from Novice through Sprint to Olympic and a couple of weeks ago I did my first half IM. I'm starting to get more into my racing and training but really need to crack the weight issue (see below)

FAMILY STATUS: I have a cat and just lost a husband (how careless of me!), we separated in Nov and I've been using it as an excuse to let go a little and unfortunately that appears to have made me also let go of my waist band! eek

CURRENT TRAINING: I'm racing this weekend so after that I need to start into more bike and run specific training for races in July then swim for races in August and finally run specific for the 1/2 mara in October

2013 RACES: The HIM was OK, I have a further 2 Olympic (first one this weekend), a sprint and some swim and cycle and run events for the rest of the year

WEIGHT LOSS PLANS: I lost 65 lbs about 2 years ago and have regained about 35 lbs, I need to lose this again so I'm hoping that this group can provide some accountability and support to keep me in the straight and narrow as well as providing tips and how to keep the damn stuff off!
2013-06-13 6:33 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Glasgow, UK
Andrew, what's you're name on my fitness pal, do you fancy linking up so we can hold each other accountable?

Kate
2013-06-17 8:53 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Virginny

So we have, thus far, in alphabetical order:

airborne (private page)

BigPaulD

bulfrog

irq

Kate_r

mharvey_642

MuscleMomma

oops, and me! miche033

So it sounds like a lot of us are looking for encouragement and accountability. One of the best ways to do this, for those of you who don't know/don't use it is the "inspire me" button. Click on a group member's name above and go to their training log. Then you can congratulate them on how well they're doing or give suggestions or what have you. Added incentive to log those workouts.

Cheers,

2013-06-17 8:58 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Virginny

Originally posted by Kate_r NAME: Kate MY STORY: I started racing in 2007 and have slowly been working my way from Novice through Sprint to Olympic and a couple of weeks ago I did my first half IM.

Did you do a race report, Kate? Would love to hear about your HIM!

2013-06-23 12:01 PM

User image

, Massachusetts
I did my first race this weekend! A mini-sprint put on by a local company's wellness group. 300 yd swim, 9 mi bike, 1.5 mi run. It took me 1:27, but dammit, I finished and that's all I was hoping for. Especially considering that 5 weeks ago all I was doing was running a couple times a week and last week I got no training in thanks to a conference out of town. Yay!
2013-06-23 7:47 PM
in reply to: irq

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
Sorry guys, I was sent back to Australia for work last week, so all my new resolutions regarding diet and getting the training back on track ended up postponed a week. But I"m back now, with no long trips away expected in the foreseeable future.

This week my plan is to step things back up to where they used to be;

M: am 20min run, pm 45 min intervals on trainer
T: am swim, pm 40 min run
W: am 20 min run, pm 45 min intervals on trainer
T: am swim, pm 40 min run
F: am 20 min run, pm 45 min intervals on trainer
S: am long run, 60 min
S: Long bike, 2 1/2 hours, on road.

Now to be honest I doubt that I will hit all those marks on my first week back into it. But I'm hoping that putting it out there for everyone to see will help with my accountability. Please, feel free to check up on my logs and give me a kick in the bum if workouts go missing!

I think we're missing a few race reports... Kate, your first HIM would be a good read for us I'm sure. And Jack, congratulations on your first race... but now you have to tell us a story... we need details!

Kate, on MyFitnessPal my user name is Bulfrognz, feel free to add me if you're using it too
2013-06-24 6:13 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Glasgow, UK
Hi all, there should be a race report for my recent Olympic at Windsor and a race report for the Outlaw 1/2 Ironman linked to my profile, if you want to take a look, I really enjoyed both races and it's just awesome to think I've completed a half
2013-06-24 6:44 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Glasgow, UK
This week I'm a little more stable (I travel a lot the rest of the time) My focus this week will be on the bike as much as I can.
The plan is a little sketchy as I'm trying to work out what I can fit in but essentially it'll be swimming tonight, swim and run tomorrow. run and ride Wed, swim Thur and ideally ride Fri, Sat and then swim Sun.

I'm away 2 days Tue and Thur but trying to fit it all into one day with local gyms.
2013-07-23 6:53 AM

User image

New user

Hello everyone! Hope there's room for one more Clydesdale.

MY STORY: I'm 46 years old. In November 2010, my best friend and I were fishing and our boat capsized. We floated (and froze) for many hours and eventually were rescued by the Coast Guard. This was a pivitol point for both of us. His wife had recently finished an IronGirl event. Both of us were well overweight and in fairly poor shape. Early the next summer, we were drinking some beer in his pool when he challenged me to complete a marathon. I said that's crazy. He then challenged me to a Sprint Triathlon. I agreed. At the time I weighed 265 lbs.

Fast forward, I'm now about 220 lbs and completed 1 race in 2011, 3 in 2012, and 1 so far this year (all sprint tris). I plan on doing 2 more sprints this year. My goal is to do a couple of Sprints and an Olympic next year, and possibly an HIM at the end of the year.

FAMILY STATUS: I have been married 27 years and have a son and daughter in college. My wife doesn't really have any desire to train for triathlons although she does hit the gym 3 times a week.

CURRENT TRAINING: I'm currently doing an Olympic Plan. My biggest limitation is swimming where I haven't mastered freestyle yet. I've completed the swim portions of the events using breast and sidestroke, with a little freestyle at the beginning. This is my biggest fear in respect to the longer distances.

2013 RACES: I have one more Sprint (for sure) in October and will do one more between now and then.

WEIGHT LOSS PLANS: I've lost about 40-45 lbs since beginning this journey. I would like to get down to 205 or so. I've kind of platued where I'm at but haven't really focused on dropping the last bit as yet.

I'm looking forward to following everyone's success and get a little inspiration as well.

2013-08-14 4:23 AM

TRI (Totally Radical Improvement) - Clydes/Athenas to competitors

Name: Kevin

STORY: My story over the past few years I have had a few up and downs with my health. I woke up a couple of years ago unable to move or get out of the bed eventually after about 30 min I was able to get up. This repeated a couple of times over the next month. Come to find out I had hypothyroidism. The straw the broke the camel's back was I woke up one morning unable to move was stuck there for a hour my wife got home couldnt help me get up. EMS arrived they couldnt help me get up either. They took me to the hospital and my potassium was so low that I was on the verge of severe cardiac failure. I was not even 35 yet.

After 6 months of treatment they had to remove my thyroid completely. Since then I have struggled with weight. All my life I was 175 lbs soaking wet. 6'2..Now I am 250 lbs recently turned 37 and I am completely out of shape and ready for a change.

I work in IT so I sit on my at work all night at the computer eating and gaining weight. I am tired of feeling like crap all the time. No energy, no drive and looking for some people that have been there and understand where I am coming from and can point me to a good starting point.

FAMILY STATUS: Married with 4 kids ranging from 7 year's old to 18 year's old.

CURRENT TRAINING: I was on a couch to group ride training plan for my bike and am working up the stamina to be a daily commuter to work. I live roughly 8 miles from my work. I have not been on my bike for about a week due to sciatic nerve pain.

Looking for a low impact cross training program to get me started until I am fit enough to tackle things a little more seriously.

2013 RACES:

Planned:
None at the moment. I plan to do a 5k fun run hopefully in October.

WEIGHT LOSS GOALS: I would like to get to around 200 to 210 lbs.

GOALS:

Run in the Ky Derby Festival Mini Marathon May of 2014
Complete the 2016 IM in Louisville Ky
Continue to build my base fitness level
Be able to tie my shoes without being out of breath
Live a over all healthier life.
2013-08-15 10:09 AM
in reply to: 0

Extreme Veteran
Mind if I join too??

NAME: Nicole

MY STORY: I've been doing try a tris, sprints & Olympics for the past 3 years, and have my eye at taking on my first HIM in Sept 2014. I actually just completed my final tri for 2013 (a sprint where I FINALLY made some decent improvements on the bike and established a new sprint PB), and I'm focusing now on continuing to train for my 2nd marathon (Oct 2013) AND in dropping some of this excess weight!
Maybe I'm weird... but I love the training more than racing (usually since I'm a back-of-the-packer.

FAMILY STATUS: I'm selfishly single. Got out of a messed up long term relationship not that long ago & am refocused on what I want (hence my 5-year plan-- starting this year-- to get me to ironman).

CURRENT TRAINING: I'm run/marathon-focused now. But refuse to run more than 3 x per week. The rest of the time I keep up with my triathlon-based cross training routine. (Masters swim 2 x per week.... and I've been SLACKING on the biking! but I do want to invest in a tri bike in the next year or two....!)

2013 RACES: I have my fall marathon approaching (October) and a 10k (November) before transitioning into my 2014 training plan.

WEIGHT LOSS PLANS: I'm ALL for a slow & steady approach. I know I don't make the healthiest choices! (I have a SERIOUS chip-addiction that I need to break!)
So the focus is on gradual weight loss (not a BIG concern during marathon training, since I don't want to jeopardize my energy levels while I'm heading into my heaviest training block!), but I'm slowly working my way at dropping 20lbs this year. I'm at -6 of 20 so far.

GOALS:

2013: Improve my marathon PB (which stands at 5:14) with a fall marathon & gradually lose the first 20lbs
2014: Improve my marathon PB with a Spring marathon, tackle my Oly PB in July.... and ultimately complete my first HIM in September (while dropping 10lbs)
2015: Improve my HIM PB with a June HIM & then tackle a Fall marathon (while dropping another 10lbs)
2016: Focus on triathlon with a Spring HIM (June) & a Fall HIM (September)
* at this point I'll work at maintaining my weight
2017: June HIM & August IRONMAN (the Tremblant-double!)

Edited by nicruns 2013-08-15 10:14 AM
2013-09-13 11:06 AM
in reply to: nicruns

User image

Expert
Berkley, MI
I hope there is room for another even as the season winds down... I am looking fo rsupport in 2013 and beyond, this would be a great place for me to join right if if possible!

Name: Jennifer (RunnerGirl or Seashell to people around here)

STORY: My story is a long one, as well so I will make it very short. I bounced around from the 230's to the 170's over the past few years. I raced Ironman Florida in 2012 at my lowest weight ever (mid-170's) and am back into the low 200's (right around 205). I am losing the weight again, especially in preperation for 2014's races.

FAMILY STATUS: Married, 1 year as of 8/25 to my hubby Mike. We live in spearate states now due to work, but we were together nearly 8 years before we were married.

CURRENT TRAINING: I am off of injury as of August, so I am back into training now. I have a half ironman in November that my goal is to finish strong and happy. After my HIM in November, I will be run/swim focused, and then in January I start in on ~ 5-7 hours as week of out season power training (bike/run focused), then in April I will switch to a speed based plan (5-8 hours week), then race a HIM in June, then IM training (7-10 hours a week) from then until September's Rev3 Cedar Point FullRev race, which will be my 2nd 140.6.

2013 RACES:
Completed:
Martian Half Marathon (April)
Injured (April - August)
Raced the Dino Series of sprint triathlons June, July and August (set a course PR in the August race even while injured... weird.)
Raced The Experience Sprint tri August 3rd and took 1st in Athena, 3rd in my actual AG (PR race all around... again weird given NO training since April)

Planned:
POSSIBLY September 28, Brooksie Way Half Marathon
October 20, Detroit Half Marathon
November 10, MiamiMan Half Iron

WEIGHT LOSS GOALS: I want to get down to my goal weight once and for all... I came so close in 2012 but then depression hit me with my hubby loosing his job the week after IMFL, and then him moving to Florida for work (I live in Michigan). I want to get down to 165 by Rev3 in September, 2014 or there abouts.

GOALS:
•Run a HM in under 2 hours.
•Break 6 hours at Welland Half Iron in June, 2014
•Break 16 hours, even hit a sub-15:30 at Rev3 Cedar Point Full Rev
•Get to my goal weight and stop the cycle of EXTREME weight fluctuation (~30 lbs in 2 months is crazy gain and loss, but happens to me regularly)
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » OPEN -TRI (Totally Radical Improvement) - Clydes/Athenas to competitors Rss Feed  

of 2