BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Ernesto's group (5th season) - OPEN Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 21

2013-05-11 4:28 PM
in reply to: #4737915

User image

Master
Subject: RE: Ernesto's group (5th season) - OPEN
JoePetto - 2013-05-11 4:37 PM50 miler on the drainer + 6 mile brick. Needed a long one today knowing that Sunday belongs to the mother of my children. Gotta know your place and who is the boss.
Nice workout! I'm going to have to get up really early tomorrow to sneak my swim and run in.......

2013-05-11 5:03 PM
in reply to: #4736698

User image

Veteran
Waukegan, IL
flyingpenguin - 2013-05-10 12:13 PM

Hey Ernesto, I'm in again!

NAME: username: flyingpenguin/first name: Jordan

STORY: 20 and fresh out of my Junior year of college. Had to stop playing collegiate football last year, looking to fill the athletic void it's created in my life. Currently also in the Army, figured that this kind of varied aerobic fitness would be better suited (and more fun) in the long run. Working to get better every day.

FAMILY STATUS: Part of a family of 5, doing triathlons with my dad, who has started racing as his "i'm not old yet" challenge. Generally healthy and active, I have no problems getting involved or staying involved and my family is completely supportive of my racing. Girlfriend is supportive too, but would rather I spend money on her or something "more useful" than "a super expensive bike", but I guess I could understand that.

CURRENT TRAINING: Currently more on "maintenance" than killing it, but honestly I could use a bit more motivation as i've hit that "what next" phase of training after getting a couple races under my belt. I'm looking to stretch out to Olympic Distance now (planning two Olympic races in August) so I could use a solid plan that fits that from a comfortable sprint distance i'm at now. 

THIS YEAR'S RACES: Chicago Triathlon (Olympic Distance), TriIndy Triathlon (Olympic Distance), Carmel Sprint Triathlon (Sprint, already completed), Olivet Indoor Sprint Triathlon (Sprint, already completed)

2012 RACES:
 None

FUTURE RACES: 2014 IM Steelhead 70.3 OR Rev3 Cedar Point 70.3, various oly.

WEIGHTLOSS: I'm 5'9, 180. I'm around where I need to be, but if i'm not careful I can slip. Fortunately being 20 and athletic means I can generally lose what I need to with hard work and some smart eating.

WHY I'M A GOOD MENTEE: I love being a triathlete. I'm someone who looks for a challenge, and this challenges me in not just one, but three different skillsets. I've had years of athletic training and I know what it means to put hard work in towards a goal. I'm a goal-oriented, forward seeking person who's always looking for the next big challenge. I'm a listener and learner, and respect the opinions of everyone in the group, you guys have a lot of combined experience under the belt. I've made great progress since January, and i'll only keep getting better. 

Sounds cool! 

I noticed something in your races that you've done. Looks like they're around Chicago which is where i'm from. Another thing I noticed was the Olivet Indoor Tri. Do you go to school around there or is that just a coincidence?

- Joel

2013-05-11 5:50 PM
in reply to: #4737915

User image

Master
Dallas
JoePetto - 2013-05-11 3:37 PM 50 miler on the drainer + 6 mile brick. Needed a long one today knowing that Sunday belongs to the mother of my children. Gotta know your place and who is the boss.
50 miles on the drainer? I would nearly collapse and die of boredom...
2013-05-11 5:51 PM
in reply to: #4727653

User image

Expert
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

I'm an alumni.  Please sign me up ;-)  Bio to follow.

Jackie
www.funafterfifty.com

2013-05-11 5:53 PM
in reply to: #4737591

User image

Master
Dallas

Regolid - 2013-05-11 6:51 AM Hello Ernesto and friends!Thanks to Gabriel Biguria who introduced me to his group. I would like to sign up and be part of this group to learn from you and share many good tri experiences...NAME: Ramon ErnestoSTORY: I'm from Venezuela, although I have been living abroad for the last 13 years. I currently side in Amsterdam where i work for a medical nutrition company called Nutricia (subsidiary of Danone). For many years, i have been trying to keep in shape primarily running and playing sports. My problem has been consistency and weight. I have always been drawn to triathlons, but never made the commitment to go for it. That changed in January this year when i decided to finish a full ironman before i am 40 years old ( i am 38 1/2 now). I signed up for my very first sprint tri on June 16 th and an ironman 70.3 on september 22 nd. The two main barriers i need to overcome are 1- the amount of travel that i have (30-70% of every month) and some chronic pain on joins and lower calfs (good smart training, some weight loss, and good stretching needed)FAMILY STATUS: I live in Amsterdam with my wife Gabriela and two sons Diego and Santiago (8 and 5 years old)CURRENT TRAINING: i started a training program 5 days a week in February. The first two months were excellent, very consistent and motivated. Then april came and i spent 80% of my time traveling. That got me out my routine and i have struggled to keep the training going. I feel i lost most of the good work done and need to get back on track. THIS YEAR'S RACES: 10k den haag loop. Time 47 min2012 RACES: 10k den haag loop (april); 16k dam to dam (sept); amsterdam 1/2 marathon ( october)WEIGHTLOSS: I'm 6'0 and weight 195 lbs.. I lost 10lbs this year, got to 190 but gained 5 back in aprilWHY I'M A GOOD MENTEE: i do not know if i am a good mentee, but i hope to be an excellent one. I am looking for consistency to avoid injuries and train smarter...the plus side is that I am dedicated, passionate, love sports, love races.... I know i will get to the ironman 70.3 in september, but i want to ensure that i get there in great shape to enjoy the experience and be able to continue towards a full ironman next year.Cheers,Ramon
Ramon,

The Ironman you are doing on September 22nd, is it Lake Tahoe by a chance?

2013-05-11 6:05 PM
in reply to: #4737415

User image

Master
Dallas
davidfedez - 2013-05-10 10:01 PM

NAME: username: davidfedez / first name: David

STORY: I am a 29 year old male originally from Spain where I lived until I was 22-23 years old and moved to the US. I lived in Austin, TX and now I live in Miami, FL. Before moving here, I always mountain biked and I also played pro Team Handball until I got a career ending knee injury when I was 18 years old. I played at an amateur level after that. So I can say that I was always very active and in shape, although I never trained specifically for endurance sports.

When I moved here I stopped doing sport for a few years (except for playing soccer on Saturdays with my friends) due to a crazy business schedule and the lack of team handball opportunities in the States. Last year I decided that I wanted to be back in shape and I trained for my first Sprint Tri, I loved it and wanted more!

FAMILY STATUS: Married since August last year to my awesome wife, who is very supportive.

CURRENT TRAINING: Since I had a very bad knee injury, I am working out without increasing volume and/or intensity drastically. I have been consistently training for 4/5 hours per week during the last couple of months and now I am just starting to increase my volume up to 7/8 hours per week.

Since February, I've been focusing on swimming and running, my two biggest limiters. I have been neglecting the bike as I think is my strongest sport due to years of mountain biking. However, starting in May, I started to combine all three sports in a more balanced way (swim 3 x week, bike 3 x week, run 3-4 x week). Always stopping or not doing a work out if I feel pain in my knee.

THIS YEAR'S RACES:

- Completed: 5k, 2 Sprint, and 1 International.

- Pending: 1 Sprint and 1 Olympic to come before my biggest race of the year: HIM Miami in November

2012 RACES: 5k and 1 Sprint

WEIGHTLOSS: I am 5'11" and last year I was around 180 pounds. When I started training more seriously (since mid January) I was 169 and 17.8% body fat. Now I am at 161-162 pounds and 12.5-13% body fat. I was able to do this not only because I started training, but also due to following my sister's recommendations (she is a nutritionist for top athletes in Spain). Therefore, my focus is not to lose weight, since I have been already working on it. I would actually like to gain a little bit of muscle instead.

GOALS for 2013:

a. Finish a HIM in November

b. Keep improving my ranking in my age group in Sprint and Olympic distance races (Currently my best result is a 7th place)

c. Build an aerobic base. Never did endurance training, so I need to work on this, even though it is the only think I do all year.

d. Swim: Finish in the top 35% swimmers for my age group (currently 55-60%)

e. Run: 5k Sprint tris run under 22 min and 10k Olympic tris run under 45 min

It is very likely that I will sign up for Ironman Miami 70.3, I've been thinking about it and my kids live in Fort Myers, so there's a strong possibility that I will go.

About developing a strong endurance (aerobic) base, you're in the right place. I have always advocated for working at low heart rates and have a lot to talk about it. More to come...

2013-05-11 6:07 PM
in reply to: #4738023

User image

Master
Dallas
jackiep - 2013-05-11 5:51 PM

I'm an alumni.  Please sign me up ;-)  Bio to follow.

Jackie
www.funafterfifty.com

How couldn't I accept one of my first mentees? Of course...
2013-05-11 10:59 PM

User image

Would love to join the group again. I was in the last session. I will post bio again tomorrow. I have a marathon next Sunday and a sprint three weeks later with my big race being HIM Racine.
2013-05-12 12:49 AM
in reply to: #4738317

User image

Veteran
Wollongong

Ernesto

I'd like to go for round 2.

Name: Greg / Username: gla56

Story:  I come from the land downunder. I have a background in long distance cycling and have completed Paris Brest Paris three times, London Edinburgh London, Sydney - Melbourne and a range of other 1200km rides. In 2012 took up running and did a couple of marathons before taking up triathlons. Love it!

I've now done three Olympic and one 70.3 as well as a number of shorter tri's.

Family status: Married with three adult kids. My wife has got into cycling and running and she is targeting a half marathon in Dublin in August 2013. My two daughters love to run in and out of their busy lives.

CURRENT TRAINING: I've started to get on top of consistency but am now starting to move into double sessions on a day - this is more challenging for me from a time perspective. 

THIS YEAR'S RACES: Wollongong Oly, Mooloolabah Oly, NSW Club Championships, Canberra Half Marathon as well as a number of Aquathons. Next week, I have the Sydney Morning Herald Half Marathon. My last real hit out before focusing on building endurance.

Our tri season is out of sync with the northern hemisphere, however, after a few weeks 'break' I am focusing back into training for my target race for this year, Challenge Copenhagen, my first ironman distance event (to finish is my goal). So a lot of winter training for me. Fortunately our winter, though I think are cold, are not as severe as most of you are used to. Also at the end of the year I will be doing the Noosa Tri.

I've already entered Ironman Melbourne in 2014 (you have to plan this stuff 12 months in advance!) and at this stage I've love to 'race' it.

WEIGHTLOSS: This is not too much of a problem for me - though I could be a couple of kgs lighter. My diet is basically, anything in moderation.

WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD MENTEE: My goals will stretch me this year and I'm keen to learn from the experiences of those who have walked the path before me. Also, I believe that I can contribute to the discussion with my own experiences

2013 GOALS: (1) Develop my swimming to come closer to my bike/run abilities (2) train with consistency (3) stay injury free (4) Complete my first ironman distance event (5) Olympic PR for Noosa (5) Have fun on the way

Edited by Gla56 2013-05-12 1:00 AM
2013-05-12 11:49 AM
in reply to: #4737996

User image

Indianapolis, Indiana
The Chupacabra - 2013-05-11 5:03 PM

Sounds cool! 

I noticed something in your races that you've done. Looks like they're around Chicago which is where i'm from. Another thing I noticed was the Olivet Indoor Tri. Do you go to school around there or is that just a coincidence?

- Joel

Yeah, I go to school here and i'm in the kankakee area, so maybe an hour and half south of you. Good to see someone so close! I try to hit up some of the major events within a couple hours of here, generally in/around the chicago area or northern indiana. 

2013-05-12 3:40 PM
in reply to: #4738038

User image

Miami
ernestov - 2013-05-11 7:05 PM
davidfedez - 2013-05-10 10:01 PM

It is very likely that I will sign up for Ironman Miami 70.3, I've been thinking about it and my kids live in Fort Myers, so there's a strong possibility that I will go.

About developing a strong endurance (aerobic) base, you're in the right place. I have always advocated for working at low heart rates and have a lot to talk about it. More to come...

It will be awesome if you finally end up signing up for the Miami Man HIM! Having my mentor doing the same race that I am planning to do will be very helpful.

Thanks for accepting me into the group!

2013-05-12 3:56 PM
in reply to: #4738656

User image

Veteran
Waukegan, IL
flyingpenguin - 2013-05-12 11:49 AM
The Chupacabra - 2013-05-11 5:03 PM

Sounds cool! 

- Joel

Yeah, I go to school here and i'm in the kankakee area, so maybe an hour and half south of you. Good to see someone so close! I try to hit up some of the major events within a couple hours of here, generally in/around the chicago area or northern indiana. 

That's cool. I went to school at Olivet. I tend to to more Xterras than regular tris. 

2013-05-12 5:30 PM
in reply to: #4738819

User image

Indianapolis, Indiana
The Chupacabra - 2013-05-12 3:56 PM

That's cool. I went to school at Olivet. I tend to to more Xterras than regular tris. 

Dang, what a small world! Would've never guessed. Yeah, going into senior year here. Are there xterras around here? I don't have the equipment for it but they've always sounded fun.

2013-05-12 5:54 PM
in reply to: #4738873

User image

Veteran
Waukegan, IL
flyingpenguin - 2013-05-12 5:30 PM 

Dang, what a small world! Would've never guessed. Yeah, going into senior year here. Are there xterras around here? I don't have the equipment for it but they've always sounded fun.

Nothing super close. The ones I'm doing are in Scales Lake, IN (XTERRA Scales Lake), Versailles, IN (XTERRA DINO Versailles), and Peoria, IL (Illinois Wilds). I did Peoria last year and it was tons of fun. All you need is a mountain bike...doesn't even have to be a great one!

2013-05-12 7:04 PM

User image

Master
At least got my run in this afternoon. 8 miles. Typical Michigan weather, low 40s, tons of wind and a rain/sleet/snow mix. I'm beginning to wonder if we'll get summer this year?

I am noticing the 6 pounds I've lost in the last month...running definitely feels easier at sub 160, really going to try hard to get to low 150s to see how it feels. I'm 5'9" so that doesn't sound too light at all.
2013-05-12 7:13 PM
in reply to: #4738956

User image

Expert
Somewhere in the Swamps of Philly

trisuppo - 2013-05-12 8:04 PM At least got my run in this afternoon. 8 miles. Typical Michigan weather, low 40s, tons of wind and a rain/sleet/snow mix. I'm beginning to wonder if we'll get summer this year?

I am noticing the 6 pounds I've lost in the last month...running definitely feels easier at sub 160, really going to try hard to get to low 150s to see how it feels. I'm 5'9" so that doesn't sound too light at all.

Got on the scale at 149 this weekend (but attributed it to a bit of dehydration - I'm 5'9" and have my fighting weight down to 154.  For me there's a big difference at sub 160.  Makes running fast easier.

9 miler today - 8 miles with the wife.  After about 5 miles she relieved me of my sherpa duties and ran some fast negative splits.  I've run 30 miles in the last 4 days and feel pretty good.  

2013-05-12 7:24 PM
in reply to: #4738956

User image

Expert

trisuppo - 2013-05-12 7:04 PM At least got my run in this afternoon. 8 miles. Typical Michigan weather, low 40s, tons of wind and a rain/sleet/snow mix. I'm beginning to wonder if we'll get summer this year?
QUOTE]

I am watching a snow storm with heavy winds thinking Wednesday is supposed to be in the upper 70's Wednesday then back to the 50's for the Weekend. This Spring has been bi-polar at best.

Edited by JBacarella 2013-05-12 7:28 PM
2013-05-12 11:08 PM

User image

New user

WSU
1 hour run this AM before heading out with the wife to let her enjoy her day.
2013-05-13 8:52 AM

User image

Miami
80+ and sunny all weekend here in Miami, so no weather complaints... However, I've been sick!! It was painful to spend sunny days indoors. I don't feel recovered 100% yet (maybe I'm at 60-70% at best). When do you recommend to start training again? I was thinking about doing some bike trainer tonight while watching the Heat game, since I need something good on TV to put more than 60 min on it. I also have my masters swim class tomorrow at 6 am. I was racking up volume during the past few weeks and I don't want to stop it due to sickness, although I'm not sure if training a little bit sick my be counter productive...
2013-05-13 9:42 AM

User image

Master
Dallas
I am in taper week starting today, on Saturday hopefully I will be doing Ironman number four. Feeling fit and ready, hoping to have a good day and execute properly. Smile
2013-05-13 11:42 AM

User image

Master
Boynton Beach, FL

Ramon: A fellow Venezuelan! Now I cannot even say I am the faster Venezuelan on this mentoring group...great! Smile

David: A fellow South Floridian! I am a little further north (Boynton beach), but will probably cross paths in some of the races. Do you know which sprint/Olympic you are going to do? Whereabouts in Spain are you from? My brother-in-law is from Barcelona.

2013-05-13 12:30 PM

User image

Expert
Today, I did a relaxed 4 mile runch. I am winding down for Sunday's marathon.
2013-05-13 12:55 PM

User image

Expert
Guatemala

It's great to see how the group is coming together and we even have a Chupacabra (great username BTW!)

Like Chupacabra, I'm also transitioning from a Marathon a couple of weeks ago into tri training for a HIM in July (Vineman). However, so far I'm having a hard time motivating myself to deal with the increased swim and bike volume required...

Joe, 50 miles on the drainer is hard core, well done.  How is your wife's recovery going?  And your exams?  Hope all is better now!

With Sammy and now my other friend Ramon in the group, have two Venezuelans, scary.  I might have to pull in another Guatemalan friend to bring some balance Smile

So for this weekend we have our Mentor Ernesto doing Ironman Texas and Jim and Robert doing both Marathons.  Are you guys ready and enjoying the taper?  E, send us your bib# so that we can track you. I will also send you the Bib# for two good Salvadorean friends who are also competing.

2013-05-13 1:54 PM
in reply to: #4740100

User image

Master
Dallas
sirgab - 2013-05-13 12:55 PM

It's great to see how the group is coming together and we even have a Chupacabra (great username BTW!)

Like Chupacabra, I'm also transitioning from a Marathon a couple of weeks ago into tri training for a HIM in July (Vineman). However, so far I'm having a hard time motivating myself to deal with the increased swim and bike volume required...

Joe, 50 miles on the drainer is hard core, well done.  How is your wife's recovery going?  And your exams?  Hope all is better now!

With Sammy and now my other friend Ramon in the group, have two Venezuelans, scary.  I might have to pull in another Guatemalan friend to bring some balance Smile

So for this weekend we have our Mentor Ernesto doing Ironman Texas and Jim and Robert doing both Marathons.  Are you guys ready and enjoying the taper?  E, send us your bib# so that we can track you. I will also send you the Bib# for two good Salvadorean friends who are also competing.

My bib number will be 2682, once again I have rented a GPS tracking device from www.myathletelive.com and you will be able to find me by name. They also have apps for Android and Apple devices.
2013-05-13 2:05 PM
in reply to: #4739938

User image

Miami
Samyg - 2013-05-13 12:42 PM

Ramon: A fellow Venezuelan! Now I cannot even say I am the faster Venezuelan on this mentoring group...great! Smile

David: A fellow South Floridian! I am a little further north (Boynton beach), but will probably cross paths in some of the races. Do you know which sprint/Olympic you are going to do? Whereabouts in Spain are you from? My brother-in-law is from Barcelona.

Also from Barcelona, small world!Right now, I'm signed up for: 1. Sprint Mack & Cycle trylogi I (June 9th). I'm thinking to upgrade to the international distance though. 2. Olympic distance Publix Escape to Miami on September 29th. However, I don't think I will be able to do it, since I will be attending a wedding in Michigan. I'm considering to do an Olympic distance race either in Naples on September 22nd or in Homestead on September 15th as I wante to do an Olympic race in preparation for my HIM. 3. Miami Man 70.3 on November 11thWhat races are you doing?
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Ernesto's group (5th season) - OPEN Rss Feed  

of 21