User image

Pro
Subject: RE: Affluenza

Originally posted by Aarondb4

Originally posted by Left Brain

Originally posted by mr2tony
Originally posted by JoshR
Originally posted by dmiller5

All the affluenze BS aside, it is still a minor who did something incredibly stupid. Assuming he has a clean record before this, the punishment seems to fit the crime far better than "never seeing the light of day again"

Also to the families that are outraged over the sentence, destroying someone else's life won't bring back the lives of your loved ones.

I don't think he should be sentenced for the rest of his life, but he should definitely do some time in my mind, even as a minor. Nothing about his "Affluenza" is going to change. It's still a get out of jail free card for him. Except now he can say he even got out of murder so he has even more malaise.
This is what I was thinking -- he now knows that he can literally get away with murder. I would HOPE he's smart enough to know that if he does something like this again he's going to go to jail for a very very long time, but if he truly is afflicted with this terrible disease then he won't realize that and continue on this path.

Lilke I said, his sentence is really very typical for that crime.  I don't think he knows more than anyone else who kills someone while driving drunk, regardless of family wealth.

I'm sure you are more aware of the typical sentence on this sort of thing than I am, but just a local story to share. A kid here did the same thing. Always a straight kid, no record, no driving record, wasn't a drinker. His friends convinced him to try drinking, he had a few then got in the car and drove home. Ran into a ped and killed them. He got 5 years in jail for that.

In the OP case I could understand a 10-15 year probation, but he needs to serve at least 5 in prison IMO. He killed 4 people, that shouldn't be taken lightly.

If this "Affluenza" crap is really a defense, he essentially has free license to continue to drink and drive. If he is rich and the courts have already given him a huge pardon like this how is he to know it is wrong in the future?

Honestly - DUI at 16?

My guess is he doesn't stay well-behaved during his probation and gets thrown in jail for some other poor decision.

Pessimistic? Maybe. Realistic? I think so. 

2013-12-13 10:47 AM
in reply to: gr33n

User image

Pro

Originally posted by gr33n Should the factor that maybe there should be a deterrent to doing it in the first place enter into this at all ?

You don't think there is?  I would disagree.  If there was no deterrent you'd see this much more than you do.

2013-12-13 10:50 AM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Regular
Madrid

Originally posted by gr33n Should the factor that maybe there should be a deterrent to doing it in the first place enter into this at all ?

You don't think there is?  I would disagree.  If there was no deterrent you'd see this much more than you do.

No. I don't think probation is much of a deterrant.
2013-12-13 10:54 AM

User image

Pro
Bartlett, TN

Sometimes I really wonder what judges are thinking.

1. He was under age to be drinking. Need to hold whoever got himt he alcohol responsible

2. Drunk

3. new driver (16 is still the age they get to drive without an adult here)

4. killed 4 people

Yeah probation seems fair.  NOT

2013-12-13 11:01 AM

User image

Pro

Originally posted by gr33n

For most of us the possibility of killing someone is deterrent enough. 

2013-12-13 11:50 AM
in reply to: jford2309

User image

Champion
Chicago, Illinois
Originally posted by jford2309

1. He was under age to be drinking. Need to hold whoever got himt he alcohol responsible

2. Drunk

4. killed 4 people

Do not forget theft. Maybe that is how he got drunk in the first place.

2013-12-13 12:01 PM

User image

Regular
Madrid

Yeah and we see how good that worked.
2013-12-13 12:16 PM
in reply to: chirunner134

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland

Originally posted by chirunner134
Originally posted by jford2309

2. Drunk

4. killed 4 people

Do not forget theft. Maybe that is how he got drunk in the first place.

Interesting how you like to add charges

2013-12-13 12:16 PM

User image

Oakville

LB, not sure what your argument is here.  The fact that you are racked with guilt for killing someone while DUI is sufficient punishment and a prison sentence would be going too far?

Two of the principles of sentencing are punishment and deterrence.  In my view, neither were accomplished with probation alone.

2013-12-13 12:17 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland

16 year olds cannot always truly understand the consequences of their actions, that is why they are considered children under the law. Sending him to prison will destroy his life, with probation maybe he has a shot at making better decisions in the future.

2013-12-13 12:26 PM
in reply to: Scott71

User image

Pro

Originally posted by Scott71

LB, not sure what your argument is here.  The fact that you are racked with guilt for killing someone while DUI is sufficient punishment and a prison sentence would be going too far?

Two of the principles of sentencing are punishment and deterrence.  In my view, neither were accomplished with probation alone.

I don't happen to believe that sentences are a deterrent to anything.  It's been my expereince that people who commit crimes simply think they will not be caught.  At least that's what they tell me when I'm interviewing them.  In cases like the one we are discussing, deterrent cannot possibly come into play because nobody intended to commit a crime (other than getting behind the wheel drunk, and probation is always thought of as reasonable for first time offenders in that case).  I think prison should be reserved for people who are violent and therefore a danger to society....I have no problem keeping violent people locked up forever, but we don't have room because you want to lock up 16 year old kids who made a stupid mistake, no matter how costly.  There are, of course, other crimes where someone should be considered a danger to society, and this may well be one of them after other alternatives are tried.  But I'm sorry, you will NEVER get me to go along with the idea that a 16 year old boy should be sentenced to prison in a case like this.....there are too many better alternatives.

2013-12-13 12:36 PM

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX

I don't happen to believe that sentences are a deterrent to anything.  It's been my expereince that people who commit crimes simply think they will not be caught.  At least that's what they tell me when I'm interviewing them.  In cases like the one we are discussing, deterrent cannot possibly come into play because nobody intended to commit a crime (other than getting behind the wheel drunk, and probation is always thought of as reasonable for first time offenders in that case).  I think prison should be reserved for people who are violent and therefore a danger to society....I have no problem keeping violent people locked up forever, but we don't have room because you want to lock up 16 year old kids who made a stupid mistake, no matter how costly.  There are, of course, other crimes where someone should be considered a danger to society, and this may well be one of them after other alternatives are tried.  But I'm sorry, you will NEVER get me to go along with the idea that a 16 year old boy should be sentenced to prison in a case like this.....there are too many better alternatives.

I can see your point. 

Per the news article: 

However, Scott Brown, the boy's lead defense attorney, said the teen could have been freed after two years if he had drawn the 20-year sentence.

"(The judge) fashioned a sentence that could have him under the thumb of the justice system for the next 10 years," he told the Star-Telegram.

If the teen violates any terms of his probation, he'll be re-sentenced for up to 10 years in prison, according to MyFoxDFW.com. 

"If he messes up, we'll be right there waiting for him," Alpert told the station.

When you think of 10 years in "the system" vs 2 years, probation does sound better. 

2013-12-13 12:41 PM
in reply to: KSH

User image

Pro

Originally posted by KSH

I can see your point. 

Per the news article: 

However, Scott Brown, the boy's lead defense attorney, said the teen could have been freed after two years if he had drawn the 20-year sentence.

"(The judge) fashioned a sentence that could have him under the thumb of the justice system for the next 10 years," he told the Star-Telegram.

If the teen violates any terms of his probation, he'll be re-sentenced for up to 10 years in prison, according to MyFoxDFW.com. 

"If he messes up, we'll be right there waiting for him," Alpert told the station.

When you think of 10 years in "the system" vs 2 years, probation does sound better. 

We need more smart, hardworking judges. Many of them just take the easy way and nobody wins.

2013-12-13 12:47 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Oakville

I just don't believe that.  You might convince me that probation alone is sufficient if there was only property damage, but you take a life (or 4) while driving drunk, then there has to be consequences.

And the deterrence is not to stop people from intentionally killing others while driving drunk, the deterrence is to stop people from picking up the keys in the first place.

Edited by Scott71 2013-12-13 12:48 PM
2013-12-13 12:52 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland

do you know what probation means?

2013-12-13 1:00 PM

User image

Pro

I just don't believe that.  You might convince me that probation alone is sufficient if there was only property damage, but you take a life (or 4) while driving drunk, then there has to be consequences.

And the deterrence is not to stop people from intentionally killing others while driving drunk, the deterrence is to stop people from picking up the keys in the first place.

You don't have to, you can keep fillng the jails with people who truly can be rehabilitated and are not a danger to anyone else, and I'll keep arresting the same violent people over and over again.....job security as far as I'm concerned.....my kids need new swimsuits!!

2013-12-13 1:09 PM
in reply to: dmiller5

User image

Oakville

do you know what probation means?

Not sure if this is a genuine question or just a snarky response, but yes I do know what probation means.

The terms of the probation will likely be quite harsh, but IMO that is not a substitute for imprisonment in this case.

2013-12-13 1:23 PM
in reply to: dmiller5

User image

Champion
Chicago

16 year olds cannot always truly understand the consequences of their actions, that is why they are considered children under the law. Sending him to prison will destroy his life, with probation maybe he has a shot at making better decisions in the future.

Poor kid. I'm glad his life wasn't ruined by manslaughtering four people.
2013-12-13 1:23 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland

Its is a kid who made a bad decision, do you want to punish him to get "justice" for yourself, or do you want to teach him to make better decisions.

2013-12-13 1:26 PM
in reply to: mr2tony

User image

Pro

Originally posted by mr2tony

Poor kid. I'm glad his life wasn't ruined by manslaughtering four people.

Naw, his life is pretty much ruined.....and it will take alot of work to bring it back from those ruins, if it can happen at all....but it's a much better alternative than putting him in prison.  You can't bring those 4 people back, might as well try to save the last life involved and make a productive citizen out of him. 

2013-12-13 1:29 PM

User image

Champion
the alamo city, Texas

Its is a kid who made a bad decision, do you want to punish him to get "justice" for yourself, or do you want to teach him to make better decisions.

this is not the kid's first bad decision...he has several prior charges against him.  nobody bothered to teach him after those...

(edited to add i had read a different article about this incident and the kid had several prior sexual assault charges and cannot find the article....)

Edited by mehaner 2013-12-13 1:35 PM

2013-12-13 1:31 PM
in reply to: mehaner

User image

Pro

Originally posted by mehaner

this is not the kid's first bad decision...he has several prior charges against him.  nobody bothered to teach him after those...

What are the prior charges.....juvenile records are closed everywhere I know of.

2013-12-13 1:33 PM

User image

Pro
Bartlett, TN

As I read the posts where people are agreeing that probation is the best "sentence" for this kid, I can't help but think how people are dismissing the fact of the four victims that were killed. That simply saying, Oh, he's only 16, he didn;t set out to kill anyone, he just made a mistake, is OK.

I will never agree that killing four innocent people should equal a slap on the wrist and probation.

2013-12-13 1:37 PM

User image

Veteran
St. Louis

Originally posted by mehaner

What are the prior charges.....juvenile records are closed everywhere I know of.

When he was 15, he was caught by the police in a vehicle with a naked, passed out, 14 year old girl.  He was given a ticket.

ETA: According to the psychiatrist who used that as an example of how his parents never punish him for anything.

Edited by kevin_trapp 2013-12-13 1:38 PM
2013-12-13 1:40 PM

User image

Champion
Chicago
"The defense team recommended a long probationary term at a rehabilitation center near Newport Beach, Calif., with the teen's parents picking up the tab of more than $450,000 a year for treatment."

So, had his parents not been able to afford this, would he still have been given probation?
New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Affluenza Rss Feed  

of 5