Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 19

2006-12-21 7:00 AM
in reply to: #625443

User image

Expert
Kansas City, MO
Subject: RE: Artemis's Group - OPEN
I made up my own training plan when I trained for my 1/2 marathon and it worked great! I thought about making my own training plan for sprint tris next year, but didn't have a clue where to start. The plan I found and am using is similar in style to my 1/2 marathon plan: a gradual buildup each week in distances. So far so good. Tonight should be a good workout of 150m swimming and 30 minutes cycling. I hope to get some weights in there, too, but we'll see what time allows.

2006-12-21 7:56 AM

New user

Hi, I'd like to join this group - I have a feeling I'm much more of a beginner than anyone els here - older and less of an athlete - but most of the other groups are full! So be patient with me!

I'm 42, married with 2 kids, living in a small town in rural New England. I was never particularly athletic - played a bit of basketball in HS and afterwards for fun, but mostly my physical exertion was through dance - I was quite serious about ballet and modern dance through college. But always struggled with my weight - up and down throughout my life. I got in better shape for a while in my 20's - I was at a good weight and ran in a few 5K races, but never farther than that - I always thought my knees couldn't take it. (Excuses!) After my kids were born, working full time, I got into my worst shape ever - this year I found myself about 50 (or more) pounds overweight and unable to run a quarter mile without an asthma attack! It was atime to do something, so I started swimming at the local pool a few times a week and going for walks, and went on South Beach Diet.

After I'd lost about 10 pounds, I heard Jayne Williams, the author of "Slow Fat Triathlete" on the radio and was inspired to give it a "Tri". Since then I"ve lost another 10 (at least 30 pounds to go) started spinning classes and jogging (I'm up to a VERY slow 30 minute nonstop jog (13 minute miles!), but my back doesn't like it so I'm going to physical therapy) and trying to resists the avalanche of cookies over the holidays.

I've signed up for a sprint-length triathlon for June 2007, and my goal is to finish! Looking forward to getting to know you all and learning from everyone's experiences!
2006-12-21 8:32 AM
in reply to: #629987

Regular
Mechanicsburg, PA
I starting researching plans because I felt (and still feel) that I don't know what I am doing. I really use the books as research to get to the know the sport better. I have used some of the techniques there but not really the plans. The problem more is that I work out before work and have a limited amount of time. So I crafted a plan that also centers around what is offered at my local Y.

I am still looking to get better at running though. I need a coach or something because that is the worst for me and I know that I lost all my places that I had gained from swimming and biking only to lose it on the run.

What does everyone do for running? Just run for endurance or is anyone also using drills? If so, can you suggest some?

Also, what about weights? Last year I did none. How important is that?
2006-12-21 8:45 AM
in reply to: #630052

User image

Science Nerd
Redwood City, California

Hi Jenny!  Welcome to the group! 

Congratulations on all of your weight loss so far.  It's a lot of work and you've done great so far.

Don't worry about being a beginner.  It's really overwhelming when you first start!  We'll be able to help out with lots of things.  Looks like you've made good progress with running so far.  I was in the same position about a year and a half ago.  I couldn't run at all.  But, I built it up slowly.  You'll find that your time decreases as you build more endurance.

2006-12-21 8:51 AM
in reply to: #630102

User image

Science Nerd
Redwood City, California

Kelli, I've been building my running endurance more than focusing directly on drills and dropping my time.  I've found that it has helped me get faster to be able to run longer.  I started out at about 12.5 min/mile and now I'm down just below 10.  I started out using the beginner couch to 5k program here on the BT site.  Last winter, I started training for a half-marathon and used the plan I found on the half-marathon site (It's here if you want to check it out).

I think some of the plans in the tri books can be a little overwhelming.  I know I've read through Joel Friel's triathlete bible and was completely unsure of how to adapt that to use for myself.  So, I've been mainly using plans here at BT.  Last summer I followed the Oly distance plan that ws run focused.  I usually use the run focused plans because running is my weakest area too. 

2006-12-21 9:10 AM
in reply to: #630102

User image

Regular
Welcome Jenny (we now have a Jen and Jenny. whew. ). I am just as beginner as you are, still just working on basic volume building at this point, but still not up to the distances of a sprint triathlon yet. Volume building can be slow, but it accumulates.

As for running, Kelli, I read about doing a more interval running scheme to ease the transition from non-runner to runner (but keep the heart rate up). Something like 3 minutes jog/run, 1 minute walk. I think that the idea is that it keeps the heart rate up, gives your cardiovascular system a chance to clear out the lactic acid from the legs, and it trains you to run a faster pace. Then as your fitness improves, you can shrink the ratio (4:1, 3:.5, etc) until you are just running, then you are running the full time at the faster pace. As far as structuring a run, that is all I am doing.

Robert is the big runner, he or Jen may have some secret runner-tricks.

Crafting plans to fit your schedule makes total sense. I shift my work schedule early (flex time rules), so I am usually home by 2-3ish, so I have the afternoon to train.

Strength training is a really good supplement. I have researched the matter a decent amount, and could quote and blabber for some time on the subject, but here are the highlights.

- Strength training creates muscles that increase your resting metabolism (more so than endurance trianing, actually), which is a huge boon for fat loss.
- Strength and endurance training train different and distinct muscle fibers. Working both will create a better sense of overall fitness.
- There is talk about strength training firming tendons'/ligaments' attachment to the bone and their resistance to overstretch and reducing injury from higher impact exercises (like running or biking)
- The results look good (for both men and women in a reasonable sense - not talking about body builders)

Strength training is not critial, but depending on your goals, could be a good (and different if monotony seeps in) addition. That is just my opinion.

2006-12-21 9:57 AM

User image

Expert
Kansas City, MO
Subject: RE: Artemis's Group - FULL
Welcome, Jenny, to our group! Way to go on your weight loss so far!! Keep up the great work!!!

Kelli - I wouldn't recommend "drills" for you quite yet. I would focus more on building your base, first. I still consider myself a beginner runner as the most miles I've run in one week so far was right around 25-26. Granted, for sprint tris, that's an ok number, but I'd love to be able to get up to, and maintain, 30-35 mpw.
Also - thanks for the suggestion on Century rides and group rides. I have a friend at church who rides a LOT, so I may go ride with him, assuming I can keep up!

Since I'm forum challenged (as far as finding things within a thread) I thought I'd do something for us: screen names and actual names:

Artemis: Jen
dlvt52: Dave
JCDenton2000: Robert
stbrrn: Erin
celticblde05: Kelli
jahansell: Jenny

That may help us a little.
2006-12-21 10:20 AM

Regular
Mechanicsburg, PA
Thanks Robert. Here I was thinking that I was missing something by not doing drills. I know I need to put my time in during the winter for running. When the light goes out early, 5 or 6pm, it is hard to come home and train outside for running. My morning group only does about 2 miles so I am looking to complement it with more miles at night. I find I do much better when I run more often. (of course that is difficult when one trains for three disciplines at the same time)
2006-12-21 10:24 AM
in reply to: #630052

Regular
Mechanicsburg, PA
Welcome to the group Jenny. I am around the same age, but my daughter is older (14). I also have weight issues and have recently found out that I am also a diabetic. So I am adjusting things to the situation.

On the Tri side of things. My first Tri, the goal was to finish. Afterwards I found myself thinking "next time I will..." or "if only I tried to..." then I knew I was addicted to this new sport of mine. I imagine you will feel the same. Good luck!
2006-12-21 11:54 AM

User image

Expert
Kansas City, MO
Kelli - the thing with drills/intervals/fartleks, etc. is that although they are designed to make you faster, until you have a good base beneath you, they can cause injury. If all you do is run, then you could probably add speedwork to your running, but since you also swim and cycle, for now, "plain" running is ok. As you increase your distances, you'll naturally get faster (more efficient). When I started back in April, I could barely run 1 mile in 10:00 without hurting. After my 1/2, I can crank out a 7:00, and my pace is now right around 8:45-9:15. I rarely did speedwork (maybe some 800's now and then to change things up). If you can run a route that has some challenging hills, that will naturally help you run faster.

Edited by jcdenton2000 2006-12-21 11:55 AM
2006-12-21 9:29 PM

User image

Expert
Kansas City, MO
Hey all! How is everyone tonight? I hope we're all either healing up well, or getting good workouts in!!

I got in a pretty decent workout: 30 minutes of cycling and then 150m swimming. I even swam the whole 150m without stopping! I still have a LONG way to go in building up my swim endurance, but pretty happy that just 2 weeks ago I could hardly swim 50m, and already I'm up to 150m! There might be hope for me yet! LOL!

Well, I hope everyone has a wonderful night!

2006-12-22 7:30 AM
in reply to: #631169

Regular
Mechanicsburg, PA
Great job Robert! Hey thanks for the well wishes of getting better. Personally I think I can begin working out but I am waiting for the official doctor's OK. I don't want to start prematurely and then go back and convalesce again. So I am just planning my schedule when I can work out again.

Fantastic on the 150m! How is the breathing and stroke feeling?
2006-12-22 8:10 AM

User image

Expert
Kansas City, MO
Kelli, smart move on waiting on the doctor's official OK - he/she usually knows best.

The swim was good, but my form completely collapsed in the final 50m. The first 100m was great: my breathing was good, form was good, I wasn't getting tired, and I wasn't getting any water in my nose or mouth. I don't know what happened when I hit the last 50m, but it all fell apart! LOL! I need to get a nose plug, now, I think, to keep water out of my nose!
2006-12-22 8:42 AM

User image

Veteran
Sask.

Hello Everbody,
I have a question regarding running.  First I really appreciate the link posted to the marathon traing program, in the past I have reviewed other plans and none of them seemed to "fit" my stlye, but this one looks managable.  So I have decided to do a 1/2 marathon on the last weekend of May.  Now, getting back to my question, I have been building my running "base" up to 4 miles.  It seems like things are going well thoughout the run until the last 5 minutes (approximately), I am really slow, like 13 min/mile slow.  Thus far, I have not felt the need to bring water and I have never had a gel.  When should I start trying these things, ie; gels or other nutrition? 
-Erin

2006-12-22 8:49 AM

User image

Expert
Kansas City, MO
Erin - great question! Gels and such are great tools, but typically, you won't need to use them until about 45 minutes into your running/cycling. For my 1/2 marathon, I ate a good breakfast before the race, and then took a PowerBar Gel at the 1/2 way point - did great! If you wanted to, you could take a Gel before you go out to run (10-15 minutes before you go). Hope this helps!
2006-12-22 8:58 AM

User image

Veteran
Sask.

Thanks for the quick response, I think I will pick up a few gels and give them a try this weekend.  Also, nice work on your swimming.  I joined my local Tri club swimming group and one thing we did was perform a 100m time trial, we also counted strokes.  After a few weeks everyone was kinda bored with drills so we did the time trial again.  I greatly improved, and it was an awsome motivatior and a great way to gague progress. 
-Erin

2006-12-22 9:25 AM
in reply to: #631318

Regular
Mechanicsburg, PA
Robert,

Being a former competitive swimmer, I would say NO to getting a nose plug. Though they help in some ways, you become very reliant on them. Let's say during the race it falls off from being accidently hit from a fellow competitor, what do you do? Chances of finding it are slim with all the dark water and splashing. Do you stop and quit?

Don't give up on learning and getting better at the breathing technique. Keep trying and taking it slow. I am a visual learner myself. I need to see something done correctly. Then I imagine myself doing it. Try watching other swimmers (like during a master's class) swim and how their stroke is. Most YMCAs have a Masters Class. You could talk with the coach and maybe just sit and watch a session. Seeing it visually may help you.

Good luck!
2006-12-22 11:27 AM

User image

Regular
Robert - great workout yesterday. It always feels so good to feel like you are making progress. Good job!

I had a nice long bike ride (for me) yesterday evening - about 53 minues and 10.5 miles. I also got in the pool today and swam for about 20 minutes. I tried to work on my breathing some, but spent the bulk of the swimming just doing backstroke. I think that I am going to continue that until I get lessons.

I also got into the weight room, whcih felt nice. The timing isn't great, since I won't be able to go back in two days (Sunday) to swim or lift since the fitness center is closed. Oh well. I am going to do a long run tomorrow and take Sunday off.

Hope everyone else gets some good workouts in this holiday weekend!

- Dave
2006-12-22 1:24 PM

User image

Expert
Kansas City, MO
Kelli - again, thanks for the advice. I'll keep working at it, as I have the entire winter to do so.

Dave - great workout, yourself! Keep up the great work!

Erin - something else you might try is simply drinking a serving of an energy drink (Gatorade, Powerade, etc) before you go run. I generally drink a Powerade about 30 minutes before a good run (for me, anything over 5 miles is a "good" run where I might need the fuel). And then, if I'm going to be out for anything over 45 minutes, I'll take my fuel belt along and pack in a gel.

Also, a note on gels: all gels are NOT created equal! The main difference I've found is consistency! CarbBoom is pretty watery, Gu is very much like toothepaste consistency, PowerBar Gel (my fave, right now) is in the middle. You might also try to find a "gel flask" - a little tiny water bottle designed for gel: it allows you to premix your gel with water, making it easier to get the gel down. Remember this: if take a gel straight out of the pack (no gel flask), you'll definitely want water with you to immediately wash it down - I get sick to my stomach if I don't chase it with water (or worse, the gel gums up in my throat and doesn't swallow easy!). If you can handle running with a water bottle in your hands, you can find a combination bottle that has an attached gel flask if you look at a specialty running store. Good luck!

Edited by jcdenton2000 2006-12-22 1:28 PM
2006-12-22 2:24 PM

Regular
Mechanicsburg, PA
Erin great question. I have often wondered myself and have never managed to get into them, though I need to use them. During the tail end of the bike and the entire run, I start really losing energy. I asked around and found out that I am not nourishing myself enough.

Robert I had never heard about the gel mix. Thank you so much for the information. I will look into it. I tried the GU and a couple others. Besides bad taste, they are hard to get down. During the bike, I have gotten into having two bottles. One straight Gatorade and the other water. But I found myself getting into the pace so much that I often forgot to use them. I will now check out the GU mix.
2006-12-22 2:42 PM

User image

Expert
Kansas City, MO
Just so there is no confusion on the "gel mix", all it consists of is a pack of Gel + water. There's not any special powder mix or anything else like that (at least, not that I'm aware of).

FYI - don't chase a Gel with a sports drink - bad taste combinations!!! LOL!

2006-12-23 9:15 AM

User image

Regular
Well, my wife's family is all in town, so it will be all I can to try and get my exercising in during that (fun but busy) whirlwind. I took advantage of the mid-50s this morning and got in my long run for the week (30 mins, about 2.6 miles). I am a little dissapointed by the pace, but I have .4 miles uphill to start the run from my house, which takes a little out of me. Also, the path I ran today has a really big down-and-up hill that hit me really hard on the way back. I kept up the 3 min:1 min intervals, which helped me get through the whole distance.

The only think I am a little concerned about is that about 2/3 of the way through I got a minor little pain in my arch. It feels almost like I have a pebble in my shoe (but I don't). I got shoes fitted at a running store, so I hope it isn't a misfit problem. I have a rest day tomorrow, biking Monday (which I use bike shoes which should rest my arch), so I will see how it is feeling after those days.

How is everyone else looking with their workouts over the holidays? Hope everyone is/will have a great weekend.

- Dave

EDIT: After checking the mileage, it is 2.8 miles, which makes the pace a little better (and really close to the 5k distance)

Edited by dlvt52 2006-12-23 9:20 AM
2006-12-24 8:39 AM

User image

Expert
Kansas City, MO
Dave - great job on getting your run in. If I run my usual route(s) around my neighborhood, I always have a 1/2 mile hill to start with, so I feel your pain!

As for working out this weekend - I'm taking 4-5 days off to rest up and will go see my chiropractor on Wednesday after work to see what's up with my tail bone injury. I might squeeze a run in tomorrow, but I'm not sure - it's supposed to snow. Tuesday I have to work late at my main job and then I work at night at my part time job (I work at a specialty running shoe store). I figured the time off would do my body a lot of good and can get a fresh start for the new year.

I hope everyone has a wonderful Christmas!!!
2006-12-26 10:06 AM

User image

Expert
Kansas City, MO
Good morning everyone! I hope everyone had a great Christmas. My wife and I had a pretty good Christmas, visiting my dad and step mom's on Christmas eve, and my mom and step dad on Christmas day, with a quick revisit to dad's last night. We visited her family last week in Nebraska.

So who got workouts in over the weekend? I opted for rest and recovery, so I didn't do anything, and so far, my tail bone injury is getting a lot better. It doesn't hurt to walk any more, and sitting isn't nearly as painful (a little sore, but doing a lot better). I'm hoping to keep the healing trend going for the rest of the week. Because of my work schedule, I may only be able to get in a swim session tomorrow night, and maybe a bike session on Friday. That's ok, though, b/c I figure the more I rest this week (plus a visit to my chiro tomorrow), the better I'll be to ramp things up next week.
2006-12-26 1:56 PM

User image

Science Nerd
Redwood City, California

Hey everyone!  Sorry I haven't been responding.  I'm currently on vacation with my family in Wisconsin.  I had a long drive on the 22nd and 23rd from Virginia up to Wisconsin and no net connection along the way.    I hope everyone had a great Christmas! 

I'm glad to see everyone has been helping each other out in my absence.  I'm going to try to catch up on some of the posts today.  If there's anything that you'd specifically like me to answer sooner rather than later, please let me know and I'll address that right away.

Thanks!!

-Jen

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Artemis's Group - FULL Rss Feed  

of 19