BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Ontherun's Group -Full, off and running :) Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 11

2007-01-06 12:53 PM
in reply to: #639905

User image

Tiffin, Ohio
Subject: RE: Ontherun's Group -One space left!
Sorry for the tardiness in my homework.

My bike is a 10 year old hybrid. I put slicks on it and rode it for over 1000 miles last summer. I am planning to buy a new bike this spring/summer. I don't have a trainer for it and hate riding in the cold so it is put away for now.

I belong to the campus gym, which is pretty decent during the semester but has very restricted hours during breaks, like now. It has mills, bikes, and a pool. It is going to be crazy busy at the gym in the first few weeks of the semester (starting Jan 22) and just before spring break. Some days I just can't get on the equipment and when I do there is a 30 minute limit per session.

I'm planning on overcoming the 30 min limit by doing 2 workouts per day, depending on the pool and class schedules which are yet to be posted. I'll run outside when I can, but I am still trying to determine how cold is too cold for my asthma.

2007-01-07 4:48 PM
in reply to: #633464

User image

Frugal Gear Geek
having fun with the kids
Subject: RE: Ontherun's Group -Full, off and running :)
not a problem on the response time. I just wanted to get a feel for what was available to you as your training progresses. Will hope to look at all your blogs tommorow.
2007-01-08 1:05 AM

I am not planning on racing at all while I am on the east coast. That leads me to think per your advice I should not buy a bike while in Boston. Would it be normal to get a very good deal on a bike at this time of year, if so I could buy one while here in CA, and use it whenever I come into town for a few days. If deals are not good now, then I will just wait until I move back here in May.

Also I am looking now to plan out my race schedule while on the West coast (I am a ridiculous planning freak, it gives me motivation to know what exactly I am training for rather than just an abstract race) and have no idea how many races are typical for one season.

I was thinking of doing one sort of practice warm up sprint triathlon within a couple days of moving back to CA, the May 22nd Newport Beach sprint triathlon. Concern with this would be that I would not have been training that consistently on whatever bike, whether I would be about to buy one, or would have bought it earlier. On the other hand if you said a bike could even be borrowed for a race, maybe that is not that important. Especially since I would view this first one as learning what tring is all about. How do transitions work, what is swimming in open water like, how do I swim in a wetsuit etc.?

Then I was thinking to follow that up with a second sprint triathlon on June 24th, with the Breath of Life ventura triathlon. I picked these based on the fact taht I could drive to them both, so I don't have to deal with flying with a bike etc.

Keep in mind that I will be studying for and taking the CA bar exam at the end of July.

Finally, I thought I would end the season with the Olympic distance Los Angeles Triathlon on September 9th. By then I would have moved to Vegas (August 1st) so I would have to come back to LA for this race. The risk is that I will not be able to go because of work, as I won't know my work schedule until August at the earliest. I am not sure if this is the type of race that I have to sign up for way in advance.

Thoughts on this schedule? Too many races? Should/can I add more? Too ambitious?

I have no idea how many races are typical for a first season. Last year I just prepared for the single LA marathon which was much easier because I just counted backwards 18 weeks from the marathon and followed Hal Higdon's program to the tee.

2007-01-08 5:07 PM

User image

Frugal Gear Geek
having fun with the kids

Wow, that is a loaded bunch of questions. I will attempt to give you my best oppinions on the subjects at hand. First as for bikes. "Deals" are all realtive. The reason for this is you can get a very good bike on clearance as the new bikes are hitting the showroom floor for 2007. You still need to do your homework though. I have seen a better equiped bike from 2006 be less expensive than a 2005 on the same showrooom floor from the same manufacuturer. Newer bikes have the latest and greatest upgrades. With that being said, I love to buy the older bikes with no miles. I have managed to save over 25% each time I have done that.

I would agree that buying a bike in Bos. would probably not be worth it from what you have said. Get on drainers as much as you can.

As for the races part of the question. The number is up to you and the time you have to put in to make sure you do not get hurt. A sprint is very doable with a reasonable amount of training. Be careful though. Some sprints are longer than others, and it is important to know things like: Open water vs. pool swim, off road or road course, trail or asphalt roads. These little things will help you make sure you are ready for the race.

I personaly did 2 races my first season, one oly and one sprint. Since then I have upped the numbers. I know many of my pears local and on BT who race at least every other week! Mind you they are in very good shape, have been training awhile, and know when to push and when to have fun. I would think you could race the sprint when you get home, but I would think it would be good to be getting on a bike you know at least a little. If you have the time and money to buy a bike before comming to the east coast, you will at least have a bike that fits. I would consider the race a C race though. (A race, all out...B race, good effort, looking to work on a few things....C race, just for fun and to finish).

The bottom line is what do you have the time and finances for. I would personaly think that if you have firm dates at school and will not be delayed in making races, then sign up for them. This way you have your goals and can commit to them. The worst that happens is you surrender $50- $100 on an entry fee and USAT one day lic. Mind you, at least in my area, most races do not sell out until the month of the race, if at all. The exception are the higher profile and very well run races.

As for the LA race,  I would consider looking in the Vegas, Reno area for a tri at the same time as the LA race so you are not forced to travel. Not sure if there is much out there, but you can check. Keep in mind I would venture to say that only about 30% of this seasons races are posted on sites like Active.com. More should be posted. Also if you are having trouble getting the bike time in, consider the sprint in June with running races on the ends. When time is crunched, you can kick back and focus on only one sport for a little while.

Hope this helped.

2007-01-09 8:32 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Hello Joe,

It's lost in the nowhere zone Amy.... If the offer is still open and if your group agrees, I would benefit greatly from your group, and I will be a great cheerleader. I would appreciate a chance to be part of this motivated group.

Let me know?

Amy

PAIN IS ONLY WEAKNESS LEAVING THE BODY
2007-01-09 4:55 PM

User image

Frugal Gear Geek
having fun with the kids

2007-01-09 5:21 PM

Thanks for all the advice. This may be a stupid question, but what is a drainer?

is it different than a stationary bike? If so, where can one get access to one?
2007-01-09 5:40 PM

User image

Hey all,

I was just being nosey here. I am impressed on the swim times I see. Good job everyone. I can bearly make it a couple of min when I do swim. I guess I have to slow down a little and focus more on my ability to make the distance/time. Any advice for swimming would be well appericated.

Good jod all and keep it up.
2007-01-09 6:52 PM
in reply to: #648341

User image

Extreme Veteran
Hey there Christian,

I'm definately not the one to be giving advice on swimming, I am just learning how to do my strokes, turn my hips, keep my head down, oh, and how to breath that is the big one. I guess just get some good advice from other here and take it slow...

You sister in the Lord,
Amy
2007-01-09 11:04 PM

User image

Regular
Florence, Arizona
Silver member
Hey Fone....a drainer is an indoor trainer. You attach your bike to it so you can train on it rather than a stationary bike. There is lots of stuff on the net about the indoor trainers (drainer)...if you want some info on my experience with them, just let me know.

helen

ps...Joe....can my BF hop onto this group? He won't be training for a couple of weeks...no swimming for sure...because of his shoulder injury...if it's ok that he join, let me know. Thanx a bunch
2007-01-10 1:10 AM

Thanks Helen. So if I don't have a bike (in Boston), or obviously a drainer, should I just stick to stationary bikes for now? What is better spinning classes or just stationary bikes? Are there programs on stationary bikes that are particularly helpful?

2007-01-10 8:27 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Anyone,

Ok, I was told I needed to start doing bricks, the way I understand it is swim to bike or bike to run, no more than 10 min. between. I'm going to do a bike to run today, I'm thinking bike 30 and run 20 or 30... I have worked up to running 7 mile and I can bike 16 miles, but I want to be smart about training, so what do you think?
I was going to do my first sprint tri in August 07, but there are some coming around in march, april and may, I'm just now feeling comfortable in the water, I feel pretty good about the biking and running, do I just go ahead and do one or wait until I feel totally comfortable, which may be uh never...

Appreciate all advice...

Amy in Indiana
2007-01-10 12:49 PM
in reply to: #648669

User image

Regular
Florence, Arizona
Silver member
My personal preference is the spinning classes because....the instructor can motivate you to push harder than you normally would by yourself on the stationary....and you can stand up with the spinning bikes too. Problem with spinning bikes is that they don't track your mileage, but if you've had enough experience on a bike, you can guestimate your distance. For example, with a 40 minute intense spinning class, I'll say it's worth a 10 mile ride.

I also use spinning classes as a substitute for a run....

You can buy spinning tapes/dvd from a bike shop...probably Walmart too! But I'm not sure how those tapes will work with a stationary bike - I've never seen the tapes.

H
2007-01-10 3:31 PM

User image

Frugal Gear Geek
having fun with the kids

Wow where did I go? This is too cool. Ok, first, Helen, sure your BF may join us as long as he will workout

As for the swimming, it is the most technical and least natural of all of the three sports. There are lots of good tips to getting better. My first advice is get your HR down. The best way to do this is slow your stokes down. A way to gauge progress is to count the number of times your right hand enters the water, and try to use less strokes durring the next lap. A good mental tip is to try and leave the hand in front of your head in place until your stoke arm comes around and touches it. This is very hard to do and you may start your next stroke sooner to keep from sinking.

Anouther swim tip I have found helpful is to try and keep your chin down to your chest. The idea here is too get your body inline. Most of us were taught to look forward when swimming. This is no longer a promoted style of swimming. Doing it arches the back and allows the feet to drop.

BTW I also do not kick while swimming. Kicking only acounts for about 20% of your forward thrust, and some people actualy go backwards while kicking. If you are doing laps you can also see if you can borrow a set of leg bouys. They go between your knees and are used in an aid to find proper body position. The big help to those learning to swim again is it takes the legs out of the HR boost. With just your arms working, you should be able to go further without running out of breath.

As for the bike issues without a drainer. I have not done spin classes, but have seen one lead by Karen Smyers, winner of IM Kona about 10 years ago. So I figure if she leads them, they must be cool. What ever it takes to get your legs going in a spinning motion will work. Stationary bikes, your bike on a drainer, or spin classes. They will all work on adding up your leg strength.

I hope I ansured all the questions here. If not feel free to ask further questions.

2007-01-10 7:44 PM

User image

Frugal Gear Geek
having fun with the kids
Just a quick note to the group, I will not have much access to a computer until next Wed. due to family obligations. Please feel free to check in with each other to make sure we are all working out! I will help ansure any questions you guys do not figure out first Good luck to all of you.
2007-01-12 1:07 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Hope everyone has a great weekend, I'm off to Indiana University for an indoor track meet...

Hope everyone has good workouts too...

Amy

2007-01-13 10:28 PM

User image

Well I have my first race date. It is March 17th, it is a 5k race, but still none the less it is a race. This will help me to see how I am for my April 28, TRI. Plus I can get a little experience in a race sitution before hand which will be nice.

Everyone keep up the good work, because in the end it pays off.
2007-01-18 2:56 PM

User image

Frugal Gear Geek
having fun with the kids
Ok all, I am back! Will check in with everyones blogs soon as I can. Feel free as always to post at will.
2007-01-18 6:26 PM

User image

Ok everybody time to see how everyone is doing in their training up to this point. Meaning going strong, or kind of sporadic. Just checking in to see how you all are doing. That is what I like about this program accountablilty. It can be a good motivator to get off your butt.

Also has any one hit a problem, or the wall in their training? Lets work through them. Keep up the good work everyone.
2007-01-19 5:38 PM
in reply to: #660076

User image

Extreme Veteran
I was on my butt or should I say back for two days, but I'm back in action and ready to work.
Had and ok run today, and hope go to the y tomorrow to do weights.

We are supposed to get ice and snow starting Sunday, does everyone here run in the snow? Cold doesn't bother me, what do you think?

I also like the accountability, I want to make everyone proud like I'm proud of you.

Let's go for it!!!!!!!

Amy
2007-01-19 5:44 PM

User image

Personaly I don't mind running in the snow, accept for all the stupid drivers on the roads. If you have a safe place to run, go for it. Snowed here today, so I'll be at the Y for the time being on the good old dread mill run. Yippeee.

2007-01-19 5:49 PM

I don't mind running if there is snow on the ground, although ice is sometimes scary. Trained for marathon last winter in Boston, and the snow wasn't a problem, but sometimes running along the river got scary on the ice. I didn't like running if it was actually snowing though.
I agree if you can find a safe place to run from both cars, and ice patches then go for it. Just layer up.
2007-01-19 5:56 PM

User image

Frugal Gear Geek
having fun with the kids

I will run in about anything except when there is lots of ice, particularly under a layer of thin snow. I have run in 2 inches of snow as a blizard started. Was going into work to plow for about a 30+hour shift and wanted to make sure I did not miss too many workouts. I only missed 2 weeks last year without at least one outside run in Mass. This year has not started quite as well, but major family obligation has set me back a week right now.

Bottom line is do what works for you. The one big benifit of staying outside is when the weather is bad is it gives you a leg up on others come race day. I raced in a downpore last year and loved it. Others just bailed and lost there $$. I had one of my most favorite races ever!!

2007-01-19 5:58 PM

User image

Frugal Gear Geek
having fun with the kids
BTW, I am going into chat for at least the next 10 minutes if anyone on wants to join me. I will stay on longer if others jump in
2007-01-19 6:06 PM

I'll agree with the leg up part too. After training in Boston winter, the mild Los Angeles Marathon weather felt so nice, I really think it made the run much easier.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Ontherun's Group -Full, off and running :) Rss Feed  

of 11