BT Development Mentor Program Archives » COgirl's Group - FULL Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 34

2007-01-08 8:31 AM
in reply to: #641608

User image

Subject: RE: COgirl's Group - OPEN
Wow Heather--- the fast lane!!! Thats great. Sounds like you are ahead of the game I was in the "try not the drown" lane this morning. Love to hear about your workouts---it's keeping me motivated!

Nice work!!

Melissa

2007-01-08 10:17 AM

User image

MotoQueen
Hi, I'm Kendra and I'm interested in joining your mentor group.

I'm a 49 year old librarian, and will turn the big 50 this year. Married to a wonderful man (who has decided to do a tri with me this year), two kids (22 & 29, can they still be called kids?) and two grandsons (3 & 2).

Last year was a challenging year for me. Dealt with cancer (operation, chemo and radiation), and now I am geared to get my life back (and take off some of this weight).

I'm active, not a racer but a walker. I have walked a 1/2 marathon (Nashville), ridden a century ride (Cartersville) and ended last year walking a 5K on New Years eve, and opened the New Year with a 5K on New Years Day (beating my time by 10 seconds). I swam on swim teams back in HS and college (a long long time ago) and started swimming again last fall after the all clear from the Dr.

I have signed up to walk the MORE 1/2 marathon in New York in March, and "My first Triathlon" at Lake Lanier in May. A second triathlon in August and maybe a couple of more 5k's.

I find that without having a goal, I don't get out and exercise.

guess I better start logging all this training...should be fun1
2007-01-08 11:22 AM
in reply to: #645490

User image

Pro
Broomfield, Colorado

countregirl - 2007-01-07 4:07 PM My mountain bike is a TREK Fuel EX 9 I LOVE it!!!! I love the duel shocks....going from a hard tail to this was amazing and I won't go back. It has been really rainy here so lots of mud and I have not been in a few weeks. I took a pretty bad tumble about a month ago so I am slowly getting back into it.....I guess everyone has to have at least one bad fall! Lots of blood but no broken bones thank goodness! Do you mountain bike as well?

Bummer on the fall!  I think I fell about every week for the first summer I was on a road bike.  Usually I fell due to not unclipping my feet fast enough! 

Not mountain biking, but I have been thinking about starting.  But I think I want to save a little money for a bike first

2007-01-08 11:23 AM
in reply to: #645915

User image

Pro
Broomfield, Colorado

Trimomnewbe - 2007-01-08 7:31 AM Wow Heather--- the fast lane!!! Thats great. Sounds like you are ahead of the game I was in the "try not the drown" lane this morning. Love to hear about your workouts---it's keeping me motivated! Nice work!! Melissa

Good for you Melissa for swimming!  Swimming is my worst sport of the 3.....and I typically frequent the "trying not to drown lane" too!  LOL! 

You all are doing awesome!

2007-01-08 11:26 AM
in reply to: #646054

User image

Pro
Broomfield, Colorado

kns57 - 2007-01-08 9:17 AM Hi, I'm Kendra and I'm interested in joining your mentor group. I'm a 49 year old librarian, and will turn the big 50 this year. Married to a wonderful man (who has decided to do a tri with me this year), two kids (22 & 29, can they still be called kids?) and two grandsons (3 & 2). Last year was a challenging year for me. Dealt with cancer (operation, chemo and radiation), and now I am geared to get my life back (and take off some of this weight). I'm active, not a racer but a walker. I have walked a 1/2 marathon (Nashville), ridden a century ride (Cartersville) and ended last year walking a 5K on New Years eve, and opened the New Year with a 5K on New Years Day (beating my time by 10 seconds). I swam on swim teams back in HS and college (a long long time ago) and started swimming again last fall after the all clear from the Dr. I have signed up to walk the MORE 1/2 marathon in New York in March, and "My first Triathlon" at Lake Lanier in May. A second triathlon in August and maybe a couple of more 5k's. I find that without having a goal, I don't get out and exercise. guess I better start logging all this training...should be fun1

Welcome to the group Kendra!  Congrats on being a cancer survivor, but I am sorry that you had to go through it at all! 

sounds like you are on a great path!  You have some great goals.  I also find that signing up for races makes me motivated and keeps me going with training.    Is the triathlon for first timers only?  It sounds cool. 

Looking forward to seeing your progress Kendra!

2007-01-08 2:14 PM

User image

Veteran
SC
Cathy, I would like to join your group if it's not too late to join. I don't really have an athletic background. I ran a 5k in Oct. 02. I just turned 39 and have 3 yr old b/g twins. I am a SAHM and go to the Y regularly since last March. I am pretty flexible in my training schedule. I just started the 20 week sprint 2x balanced plan. I swam this morning for 1/2 hr. (I'm not sure on the distance.) and I went to spin class. I am also going to incorporate strength training 3x's a week into my schedule.

I also signed up for the same race as countrgrl Tri Latta race. The Y is starting a Tri training in Feb. I'm going to sign up for that and they also have a stroke clinic for swimming that I'm going to look into. I do not have a bike right now. I look forward to getting info. & support.

Thanks!

Mel

2007-01-08 2:35 PM
in reply to: #646535

User image

Pro
Broomfield, Colorado
Subject: RE: COgirl's Group - FULL

lialog - 2007-01-08 1:14 PM Cathy, I would like to join your group if it's not too late to join. I don't really have an athletic background. I ran a 5k in Oct. 02. I just turned 39 and have 3 yr old b/g twins. I am a SAHM and go to the Y regularly since last March. I am pretty flexible in my training schedule. I just started the 20 week sprint 2x balanced plan. I swam this morning for 1/2 hr. (I'm not sure on the distance.) and I went to spin class. I am also going to incorporate strength training 3x's a week into my schedule. I also signed up for the same race as countrgrl Tri Latta race. The Y is starting a Tri training in Feb. I'm going to sign up for that and they also have a stroke clinic for swimming that I'm going to look into. I do not have a bike right now. I look forward to getting info. & support. Thanks! Mel

Welcome to the group Mel!  and with that, we are now full and in my opinion, have an awesome group! 

So cool that you and Heather are doing the same race!  And the tri training group through the Y sounds like a great resource!  Keep on training!  Triathlon is an awesome sport!

2007-01-08 2:48 PM
in reply to: #646187

User image

MotoQueen
Yes, the one at Lake Lanier is for First Time Triathloners. The second one in August is for women only. I might do another in Sept, but still waiting to decide.
Z
2007-01-08 2:51 PM

User image

Master
Reston, VA
Gold member
Hi, I would like to join this group!

My name is Zoya, I live, work, and train in Northern VA in Washingron, DC Metro area. I'm registered for my first tri this May. I used to be a competitive swimmer in Ukraine during my school and college years. I have been running and swimming on and off over the years with no specific goal. I also have a little post baby (2005) weigh issue, but I only have 10 more pounds to go to reach my healthy weight category.

I'm 30 year sold, married with two kids. It is nice to meet everyone here.

Zoya
2007-01-08 3:22 PM
in reply to: #646535

User image

Veteran
Hi MEL we are neighbors

I am excited that we are both doing the Tri Latta----I wish I was not so far from Lake Norman I am in the South side of Charlotte!

Cathy here is the bike my friend told me I could use for as long as I want it is scary and really awesome!!!!!

[IMG]http://i13.tinypic.com/4i267fk.jpg[/IMG]

I do not know alot about the brand.....

Heather
2007-01-08 4:05 PM

User image

New user
NAME: kaciphiz / Kaci

STORY: I'm 34. I work full-time, and have a sons who is 7 months old. I was always a swimmer, but signed up for my first century in 2001. I did the training on a mountain bike (if you can call it that) but bought a road bike a month before the race. I knew it was something I was going to continue doing. Shortly after that, I got a little crazy and was talked into doing my first (and only) triathelon - it was Barb's race. Well, I did great on the swim, good on the bike, and ended up walking most of the run. I think I finished last......but that was my goal, to finish! After that I didn't do another full triathlon - I only did the swim part of the relays. I've taken quite a bit of time off of any training or events. I went traveling for a year, got married, bought a house, had a kid, wrist surgery and am looking forward to doing Barb's race again this year.

FAMILY STATUS: Married to the TP (Keith), 1 son age 7 months

CURRENT TRAINING: I've been running, and just got talked into signing up for a half marathon this April. (Talk to me girls, apparentlly I'm easily persuaded!!) I figured this was my really weak point so I better get going on the training. No biking yet, I need to do a once over on my bike, since I haven't riden since I was pregnant.

Past races: Alcatraz swim, Tiburon open water swim, tahoe century, Barb's race (1/2 vineman raising money for cancer support groups)

2007 RACES: I'm signed up for the Santa Cruz half marathon in April. Thinking about the Rock n Roll half marathon in June (sounds like a fun party). I'm planning on doing Barb's race this August. Just a side note: My goal this time is to not only better my time - but if my husband enters the same race, I want to beat his time!

WEIGHTLOSS: Hmmmm. Post baby - having problems getting off the last 10 pounds. but have noticed, the more my son gains, the more I lose. Interesting coorelation huh?

2007-01-08 5:39 PM
in reply to: #646622

User image

Pro
Broomfield, Colorado

zschaller - 2007-01-08 1:51 PM Hi, I would like to join this group! My name is Zoya, I live, work, and train in Northern VA in Washingron, DC Metro area. I'm registered for my first tri this May. I used to be a competitive swimmer in Ukraine during my school and college years. I have been running and swimming on and off over the years with no specific goal. I also have a little post baby (2005) weigh issue, but I only have 10 more pounds to go to reach my healthy weight category. I'm 30 year sold, married with two kids. It is nice to meet everyone here. Zoya

Welcome Zoya!  Man, seems like all of you are swimmers (except me and Melissa! )  How old are your kids?  And where are you in NoVa?  My dad lives in Woodbridge - I was there in October! 

What distance is your tri in May? 

It will be great to get to know you!

2007-01-08 5:43 PM
in reply to: #646822

User image

Pro
Broomfield, Colorado

kaciphiz - 2007-01-08 3:05 PM NAME: kaciphiz / Kaci STORY: I'm 34. I work full-time, and have a sons who is 7 months old. I was always a swimmer, but signed up for my first century in 2001. I did the training on a mountain bike (if you can call it that) but bought a road bike a month before the race. I knew it was something I was going to continue doing. Shortly after that, I got a little crazy and was talked into doing my first (and only) triathelon - it was Barb's race. Well, I did great on the swim, good on the bike, and ended up walking most of the run. I think I finished last......but that was my goal, to finish! After that I didn't do another full triathlon - I only did the swim part of the relays. I've taken quite a bit of time off of any training or events. I went traveling for a year, got married, bought a house, had a kid, wrist surgery and am looking forward to doing Barb's race again this year. FAMILY STATUS: Married to the TP (Keith), 1 son age 7 months CURRENT TRAINING: I've been running, and just got talked into signing up for a half marathon this April. (Talk to me girls, apparentlly I'm easily persuaded!!) I figured this was my really weak point so I better get going on the training. No biking yet, I need to do a once over on my bike, since I haven't riden since I was pregnant. Past races: Alcatraz swim, Tiburon open water swim, tahoe century, Barb's race (1/2 vineman raising money for cancer support groups) 2007 RACES: I'm signed up for the Santa Cruz half marathon in April. Thinking about the Rock n Roll half marathon in June (sounds like a fun party). I'm planning on doing Barb's race this August. Just a side note: My goal this time is to not only better my time - but if my husband enters the same race, I want to beat his time! WEIGHTLOSS: Hmmmm. Post baby - having problems getting off the last 10 pounds. but have noticed, the more my son gains, the more I lose. Interesting coorelation huh?

Hello Kaci!  Welcome to the group!  You have some great goals....and I hear Barb's race is a great race to do! 

Ha!  So could I persuade you to do SOMA 1/2 IM with me in October?  LOL!  I am still undecided, but would love to do it. 

Yep, I understand wanting to beat the hubby.  Good to see that competitive side come  out!  LOL! 

2007-01-08 5:54 PM
in reply to: #646704

User image

Pro
Broomfield, Colorado

countregirl - 2007-01-08 2:22 PM Cathy here is the bike my friend told me I could use for as long as I want it is scary and really awesome!!!!! [IMG]http://i13.tinypic.com/4i267fk.jpg[/IMG] I do not know alot about the brand..... Heather

Specialized makes good bikes!  I have a Specialized that I like a lot.  On that bike, I see Look pedals, so you'll need bike shoes with Look cleats on the bottom.  Are you familiar with them?  If not let me know, there are 2 different kinds.  And it's got a double crank.....how hilly is your area?  If it's hilly, you'll get some strong legs!    Also think about putting on your own saddle if the one there is uncomfortable. 

So cool!

2007-01-08 6:08 PM

User image

Pro
Broomfield, Colorado

OK, I think our group is all set.  Here we are:

• Melissa - Trimomnewbe
  • Joy - stmphoto
  • Heather - countregirl
  • Kendra - kns57
  • Mel - lialog
  • Zoya - zschaller
  • Kaci - kaciphiz

I am SO excited to get to know all of you and for us all to SUCCEED in our goals!  I know everyone isn't using the logs (yet), but I will likely be visiting everyone's log and putting notes on the "inspire me" section, so check it out.  I encourage everyone to use the log.....I have found it a great tool!  But I also understand if you don't care to do it! 

I will be checking in on this thread every day - I log on to BT from work and just stay on all day   Pretty scary that I have been on this site for almost 3 years! 

Please feel free to ask ANY questions.  There are no dumb questions!  We can talk about bikes, nutrition, transitions, racing, running, swimming, training, family......whatever!  I am happy to help in any way that I can!  And if you prefer to contact me by PM that is fine too.

I saw an equipment list somewhere.....I am going to track that down and post a link. 

Who's working out yet tonight?  tomorrow? 

2007-01-08 6:53 PM

User image

Hi,

Tomorrow's plan

Bike during lunch break--- I want to see where I am
Swim--PM swim class

With this said, my 8 month old, Kolby, has an ear infection, fever, cough, runny nose, and is getting his first tooth. We'll see how tonight goes........

2007-01-08 7:32 PM
in reply to: #646968

User image

Veteran
I saw the LOOK pedals and I do not own any road shoes at this point but I have a beautiful pair of Shimano MTB shoes. I will purchse a pair of road shoes soon....I guess I will need to the cleats or buy other pedals. Do you have any feelings about the LOOK or SPD pedals either way???

Heather

OH and PS would LOVE equip list....

Workout tommorow: Masters swimming 6-7 AM perhaps a small bike ride/run in PM with kiddos.

I ran a 12:30 minute mile after an hour of spin class this morning....I felt like an elephant on the treadmill hahahahah

Edited by countregirl 2007-01-08 7:34 PM
2007-01-08 8:33 PM

User image

Pro
Broomfield, Colorado

Here's an equipment list I found on the internet....I'm still looking for the one I saw on this site just the other day though : http://www.afpafitness.com/articles/FirstTimeTriathalon.htm  Looking over the list, we'll have lots to talk about soon I think!

Melissa, I hope Kolby gets better and fast!  A sick kiddo is no fun.  Enjoy your bike and swim tomorrow!

And Heather, I am SURE you were no elephant on the TM (treadmill)!  LOL!  As far as pedals, I like Look pedals, but really that is all that I've used!  The cleats are either red (have float) or black (no float).  Personal preference there.  Some people say that the "no float" cleats bother their knees.  I personally use the red ones with float, and I set the pedals for I think 6 degrees of float.  If anyone is lost on this topic, just ask!  Seems like SPD pedals are pretty similar to Look....Speedplay is another popular pedal. 

I am supposed to swim tomorrow.  And it looks like several of us are....so happy swimming!  

Is everyone signed up for their tri's?  One thing to keep in mind is that they often fill up fast, so don't get locked out!  Sign up! 

2007-01-08 8:48 PM

User image

Pro
Broomfield, Colorado

In case you missed it, here's a GREAT thread on managing family and work and tri training: http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=63050&posts=33&start=1 

And definitely click on the link in the thread by JohnnyKay.  He put some awesome ideas in his thread for his mentoring group. 

Z
2007-01-08 9:51 PM
in reply to: #646949

User image

Master
Reston, VA
Gold member
Hi again! I'm in Reston, VA. It is about 25 minutes from Woodbridge. Next time you are in NVa let me know! I'm racing a spring tri this May - 400-12-5k.

I used to be a very good swimmer, the key work is USED TO ;-) I have not been swimming consistently in over 12 years. I struggle to find a comfortable pace in a pol now days, my old habbit or racing against myself is kicking in, which makes me really tired really fast. I really have to work on this.

In addition to all that i can not bike!!!! I never learned anything more then biking a straight lane. I have a lot of work to do in this department.

My kids are 12 and 1.5 years old. The little one is keeping us all in check.

Happy training!

2007-01-09 9:36 AM
in reply to: #647218

User image

Pro
Broomfield, Colorado

zschaller - 2007-01-08 8:51 PM Hi again! I'm in Reston, VA. It is about 25 minutes from Woodbridge. Next time you are in NVa let me know! I'm racing a spring tri this May - 400-12-5k. I used to be a very good swimmer, the key work is USED TO ;-) I have not been swimming consistently in over 12 years. I struggle to find a comfortable pace in a pol now days, my old habbit or racing against myself is kicking in, which makes me really tired really fast. I really have to work on this. In addition to all that i can not bike!!!! I never learned anything more then biking a straight lane. I have a lot of work to do in this department. My kids are 12 and 1.5 years old. The little one is keeping us all in check. Happy training!

No worries, the only way to improve on the bike is to get on the bike more!  You'll be ok!  Do you have a bike? 

Hope everyone has a great Tuesday! 

Z
2007-01-09 10:05 AM
in reply to: #647132

User image

Master
Reston, VA
Gold member
Subject: Bike opinion needed
Hi !

I was wondering what is your opinion on this bike? http://www.vilanobikes.com/roadbikes.html

I'm looking for something not too expensive because I'm a real beginner when it comes to biking.

I appreciate your help!

Zoya
2007-01-09 11:58 AM

User image

Veteran
SC
From reading everyone's background I think I'm a beginning beginner. I did a walk/run (a lot more walking than running) on the treadmill this morning. Then I did some strength training.

Cathy, I do not have a bike and I don't know anything about bikes. What bike do you suggest that I get starting out? Is there anything out there that has a good reputation and is under $1000?

My son who is almost 3 has to get a root canal done on his front tooth tomorrow. He was running around and fell and his front tooth is loose. I'm not sure if I'll be able to do any training tomorrow. The dentist said after having oral sedation they can get very cranky. It all depends on how he does.

Thanks!

Mel
2007-01-09 2:43 PM
in reply to: #647864

User image

New user
Hi Mel!

About the bike reccommendation, it sounds like money is a consideration. Especially with a root canal for your son - poor guy! I don't know how comfortable you are with buying a used bike, but I bought mine from a website - a lot like craigs list, but just road bikes.

When I bought my road bike, I went to a store and had them size me to make sure I was getting the right sized bike. I checked around and found some of the things I thought were important to me, but the prices were killing me! Then a friend sent me this website and I found my bike - used on this website.
http://classifieds.mtbr.com/cgi-bin/classifieds/classifieds.pl?db=R...
I bought my bike here (Specialized Allez sport) and my husband bought his mtn bike here. My bike was barely ridden, sometimes you can find good deals on this website. Maybe you can find something - most are high end bikes, but some are mid-range bikes for a good deal.

I would highly recommend going to the bike stores and talking to the people there, trying out a few different types of bikes and finding out what you like. Most importantly, make sure the bike is the right size for you.

Hope this helps - and hope your son feels better.

Kaci
2007-01-09 6:08 PM
in reply to: #647671

User image

Pro
Broomfield, Colorado
Subject: RE: Bike opinion needed

zschaller - 2007-01-09 9:05 AM Hi ! I was wondering what is your opinion on this bike? http://www.vilanobikes.com/roadbikes.htmlI'm looking for something not too expensive because I'm a real beginner when it comes to biking. I appreciate your help! Zoya

So my buddy, bsjracing, was reading your questions and offers this link: http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/dawes/lt1000.htm  Both bsjracing and I checked the components on the bike and they seem to be mtn bike components.  Plus I'm confused about the shifters - I can't see any?  BUT ANYWAY, whatever you choose, I suggest checking out the components first and foremost (and I'm happy to help in your research). 

And you also might consider a used bike?  You could check your local craigslist to see if anyone is selling a reasonably priced bike.  I said earlier on in our thread to get the best components that are within your budget.....I think the link the bsjracing provided is a better bike than the vilano bike.....BUT I also don't want to seem like a know-it-all or like a bike snob   Really, I think that any bike you can afford, or want to purchase, based upon your gut feelings is good! 

I'm glad to help!  I like talking about bikes  

The link that Kaci provided above is also good for used bikes too!

Edited by COgirl 2007-01-09 6:16 PM
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » COgirl's Group - FULL Rss Feed  

of 34