of 13

2007-05-21 12:13 PM
in reply to: #803897

User image

Elite
Columbus, Ohio
Subject: RE: jszat's group- closed
Alright... Time for the first question.

Weight training? I want to work it into my schedule. Plus I need to get some good core exercising done if I want to hold form on the swim and bike.

This is my current schedule:
Monday: Long swim
Tuesday: Short run
Wednesday: Long Bike
Thursday: off
Friday: Long Run
Saturday: Short Swim & Short Bike
Sunday: off (possible short set of arm curls, but usually only 12oz at a time )

I am thinking about changing it up to allow for arm muscle recovery between lifting and swimming. I am also thinking about making Wednesday a two a day for lifting in the AM and biking PM due to time constraits (DAM you work for always getting in the way!!). I really don't want to bike from 3am until 6am and leave for work at 7am in August at the peak of my Oly training.

With all that said I want two days of lifting a week. Should be enough to hit most body parts. Do I break Wednesday & Friday up?? Do I lift after Monday's swim and Wednesday?? Thoughts & Comments?

2007-05-21 12:15 PM
in reply to: #808794

User image

Pro
Libertyville, IL
Subject: RE: jszat's group- open
stainofmind - 2007-05-20 6:17 PM
jszat - 2007-05-18 11:03 AM Looks like this guy is hitting Mad town next week to ride a loop of the MOO course. First of many I am sure.
Just for a day, or are you staying over? I've been wanting to try a loop out there, but don't know if I should (with a race on the 3rd), or if I'm fast enough to hang with anyone.
  Well now my riding buddy might be bailing on Sat AM, but regardless, looking like a drop into down, ride, drop out now.  What time you usually ride at?
2007-05-21 12:30 PM
in reply to: #809867

User image

Pro
Libertyville, IL
JChristoff - 2007-05-21 12:13 PM Alright... Time for the first question. Weight training? I want to work it into my schedule. Plus I need to get some good core exercising done if I want to hold form on the swim and bike. This is my current schedule: Monday: Long swim Tuesday: Short run Wednesday: Long Bike Thursday: off Friday: Long Run Saturday: Short Swim & Short Bike Sunday: off (possible short set of arm curls, but usually only 12oz at a time ) I am thinking about changing it up to allow for arm muscle recovery between lifting and swimming. I am also thinking about making Wednesday a two a day for lifting in the AM and biking PM due to time constraits (DAM you work for always getting in the way!!). I really don't want to bike from 3am until 6am and leave for work at 7am in August at the peak of my Oly training. With all that said I want two days of lifting a week. Should be enough to hit most body parts. Do I break Wednesday & Friday up?? Do I lift after Monday's swim and Wednesday?? Thoughts & Comments?
 A questions first- what do you hope to accomplish by weight training?  I ask this because you will find that a lot of muscle building occurs by doing the sports.  I used to lift much more about a year ago, but now only throw in 20-30 minutes 2x a week and it is actually the activity that gets the ax if I need extra rest in a given week.  I have a bad habit of lifting before swims or after runs typically due to how my AM schedule works out.  Nothing wrong with the latter, though might be a bit taxed if a longer run.  I do feel it on the arms though.  I have lifted only very marginally with the lower body too and have great success in building leg strength by time in the saddle.  If you have goals with weight lifting though, would help to see what those are.
2007-05-21 12:58 PM
in reply to: #809897

User image

Elite
Columbus, Ohio
jszat - 2007-05-21 1:30 PM

A questions first- what do you hope to accomplish by weight training?  I ask this because you will find that a lot of muscle building occurs by doing the sports.  I used to lift much more about a year ago, but now only throw in 20-30 minutes 2x a week and it is actually the activity that gets the ax if I need extra rest in a given week.

My goal for lifting is to build some extra strength and stability. Strength I am planning on lifting arms, sholders and back. I had some great progress lifting earlier in the year before I ramped things up to reach the goal of a Oly. Stability I want to throw in abs and lower back workouts (general CORE workouts). I am noticing lower back pain due to slouching in saddle need to work on leg drag in the pool and the training abs and core help both situations.

I am definately not trying to build gigantic muscles through lifting but generally tone and help back up those slow twitch muscle with some fast twitch. I am only looking to add 30 minutes tops as well... and agree that I would not sacrifice saddle/road/lap time due to weight training. It will be the first to go if I start feeling fatigue or start to see HR spikes in my training at normal pace.

I have a bad habit of lifting before swims or after runs typically due to how my AM schedule works out.  Nothing wrong with the latter, though might be a bit taxed if a longer run.  I do feel it on the arms though.  I have lifted only very marginally with the lower body too and have great success in building leg strength by time in the saddle.  If you have goals with weight lifting though, would help to see what those are.

I have experimented with lifting after swims and they are really spent after such workouts. My major focus is not to workout so hard and then not have time to totally recover for the next swim workout. For me the time that I do spend in the pool is invaluable since it is my weakest event.

My legs are still being toasted by the runs and bike training. I have not reached a point where I feel comfortable lifting that muscle group without risking injury or overuse. I completely understand about building leg strength from running and spending time in the saddle, but I would like to build further arm strength and my first thoughts are hitting the weights.

I think I covered the first set of the inquisition... Thoughts?
2007-05-21 1:41 PM
in reply to: #809872

Veteran
Sun Prairie, WI
Subject: RE: jszat's group- open
jszat - 2007-05-21 12:15 PM

Well now my riding buddy might be bailing on Sat AM, but regardless, looking like a drop into down, ride, drop out now. What time you usually ride at?

I usually start before 10 AM. Am I correct that a single loop is about 40 miles?
2007-05-21 2:20 PM
in reply to: #809979

User image

Pro
Libertyville, IL

JChristoff - 2007-05-21 12:58 PM
jszat - 2007-05-21 1:30 PM A questions first- what do you hope to accomplish by weight training?  I ask this because you will find that a lot of muscle building occurs by doing the sports.  I used to lift much more about a year ago, but now only throw in 20-30 minutes 2x a week and it is actually the activity that gets the ax if I need extra rest in a given week.
My goal for lifting is to build some extra strength and stability. Strength I am planning on lifting arms, sholders and back. I had some great progress lifting earlier in the year before I ramped things up to reach the goal of a Oly. Stability I want to throw in abs and lower back workouts (general CORE workouts). I am noticing lower back pain due to slouching in saddle need to work on leg drag in the pool and the training abs and core help both situations. I am definately not trying to build gigantic muscles through lifting but generally tone and help back up those slow twitch muscle with some fast twitch. I am only looking to add 30 minutes tops as well... and agree that I would not sacrifice saddle/road/lap time due to weight training. It will be the first to go if I start feeling fatigue or start to see HR spikes in my training at normal pace.
  I have a bad habit of lifting before swims or after runs typically due to how my AM schedule works out.  Nothing wrong with the latter, though might be a bit taxed if a longer run.  I do feel it on the arms though.  I have lifted only very marginally with the lower body too and have great success in building leg strength by time in the saddle.  If you have goals with weight lifting though, would help to see what those are.
I have experimented with lifting after swims and they are really spent after such workouts. My major focus is not to workout so hard and then not have time to totally recover for the next swim workout. For me the time that I do spend in the pool is invaluable since it is my weakest event. My legs are still being toasted by the runs and bike training. I have not reached a point where I feel comfortable lifting that muscle group without risking injury or overuse. I completely understand about building leg strength from running and spending time in the saddle, but I would like to build further arm strength and my first thoughts are hitting the weights. I think I covered the first set of the inquisition... Thoughts?

Not saying that weight training doesnt have its place, but on two concerns, some suggestions perhaps:  1) the pain in the back could be a getting acclimated to the bike thing.  Work on flexibility may be as beneficial as core.  If fitted properly, you are able to rest comfortably in the aero postion.  Your core does some of the work too though.  2) legs dropping the in pool- big prob for me too, but easy thing to concentrate is pressing your buoy, that is, pushing the top of your chest lower into the water.  This will help bring the feet up a bit.

Since core is important, I usually fit that in after runs post stretching and/or lifting.  During the season, I generally will go with 2 days, one chest/back and core, another with bis, tris, shoulders and core.  This changed a bit in December after a full shoulder dislocation, so on a rehab plan primarily working all groups evenly and with high reps.  Have you tried lifting swimming after lifting at all?  Just looking at the light day and thinking thats the best to work em in (or use one of the rest days for one lifting maybe?)

2007-05-21 3:05 PM
in reply to: #810190

User image

Elite
Columbus, Ohio
jszat - 2007-05-21 3:20 PM

Not saying that weight training doesnt have its place, but on two concerns, some suggestions perhaps:  1) the pain in the back could be a getting acclimated to the bike thing.  Work on flexibility may be as beneficial as core.  If fitted properly, you are able to rest comfortably in the aero postion.  Your core does some of the work too though.  2) legs dropping the in pool- big prob for me too, but easy thing to concentrate is pressing your buoy, that is, pushing the top of your chest lower into the water.  This will help bring the feet up a bit.

No aero bars for me. I haven't splurged on the bars yet. So its the drops or the hoods. I stay in the hoods 98% of the time. I am sure part of it is getting aclimated to the bike but flexibility, no... I am discustingly flexible. So I will give it a little more time for my body to get used to the position. I did have the bike professionally fit when I bought it. So I will listen to my body a little longer before I stress about it.

Since core is important, I usually fit that in after runs post stretching and/or lifting.  During the season, I generally will go with 2 days, one chest/back and core, another with bis, tris, shoulders and core.  This changed a bit in December after a full shoulder dislocation, so on a rehab plan primarily working all groups evenly and with high reps.  Have you tried lifting swimming after lifting at all?  Just looking at the light day and thinking thats the best to work em in (or use one of the rest days for one lifting maybe?)

Will definately think about using the light days or an off day. No, I have not lifted then swam. So I may have to give it a try and see how things turn out. I really do think I am missing the boat on some good possibilities of better form and therefore a better overall time with not hitting the core.

I am sure you will hear/see more from me as I integrate some weights and core training into "the plan" Thanks for your help Joe. Any other thoughts?
2007-05-21 3:27 PM
in reply to: #810321

User image

Pro
Libertyville, IL

JChristoff - 2007-05-21 3:05 PM
jszat - 2007-05-21 3:20 PM Not saying that weight training doesnt have its place, but on two concerns, some suggestions perhaps:  1) the pain in the back could be a getting acclimated to the bike thing.  Work on flexibility may be as beneficial as core.  If fitted properly, you are able to rest comfortably in the aero postion.  Your core does some of the work too though.  2) legs dropping the in pool- big prob for me too, but easy thing to concentrate is pressing your buoy, that is, pushing the top of your chest lower into the water.  This will help bring the feet up a bit.
No aero bars for me. I haven't splurged on the bars yet. So its the drops or the hoods. I stay in the hoods 98% of the time. I am sure part of it is getting aclimated to the bike but flexibility, no... I am discustingly flexible. So I will give it a little more time for my body to get used to the position. I did have the bike professionally fit when I bought it. So I will listen to my body a little longer before I stress about it.
Will definately think about using the light days or an off day. No, I have not lifted then swam. So I may have to give it a try and see how things turn out. I really do think I am missing the boat on some good possibilities of better form and therefore a better overall time with not hitting the core. I am sure you will hear/see more from me as I integrate some weights and core training into "the plan" Thanks for your help Joe. Any other thoughts?

If you do integrate the swimming post weights, know that some days it is going to feel azztastic.  With that, you can never get enough work on drills, i.e. kicking, balance, pull etc.  If you are feeling sadistic though, some tempo work post lifting will make the arms feel extra special.  Have fun!

2007-05-21 9:05 PM
in reply to: #810379

User image

Elite
Columbus, Ohio
jszat - 2007-05-21 4:27 PM

If you do integrate the swimming post weights, know that some days it is going to feel azztastic.  With that, you can never get enough work on drills, i.e. kicking, balance, pull etc.  If you are feeling sadistic though, some tempo work post lifting will make the arms feel extra special.  Have fun!

With that said it sounds like a whole new can of fun to open. I can't wait. Once I do I will let you know how I feel. Now is there a scale to the "azztastic" meter? Just wanted to know the joy to expect if you suggest especially fun/sadistic workouts or plans.
2007-05-22 9:13 AM

User image

Expert
Chicagoland
I am lacking the enthusiasm for training. After I trained so hard for the St. Anthony's and then had to back out my discipline level has dropped. Plus I really don't want to swim. Who pushes you? I am committed to the TNT program but the training sessions are sometimes hard to make?
2007-05-22 9:32 AM
in reply to: #810951

User image

Pro
Libertyville, IL
JChristoff - 2007-05-21 9:05 PM
jszat - 2007-05-21 4:27 PM If you do integrate the swimming post weights, know that some days it is going to feel azztastic.  With that, you can never get enough work on drills, i.e. kicking, balance, pull etc.  If you are feeling sadistic though, some tempo work post lifting will make the arms feel extra special.  Have fun!

With that said it sounds like a whole new can of fun to open. I can't wait. Once I do I will let you know how I feel. Now is there a scale to the "azztastic" meter? Just wanted to know the joy to expect if you suggest especially fun/sadistic workouts or plans.

Depends on how heavy the lifting day is and if you are doing speed work in the pool.  I typically do more high reps stuff, especially with shoulders for rehab, and infrequently do speed work in the pool (as of now).  So, I would put it only on a 5-7 range on the azztastic scale, 8-9 with speedwork thrown in and a heavier lifting day.  You grow through stress in duration and/or workload.  There are some days that you need recovery workouts, but a good general recipe for results in each sport is one long day, one tempo day, one recovery day and adjusting your paces accordingly.  That said, there are some folks who do very little tempo stuff, just consistent lower heart rate effort training, maybe an odd speed workout, that does very well.  In the early days, building a base is more important than testing the top end.

2007-05-22 9:33 AM

User image

Pro
McKinney, TX
Things that motivate me:
- Running - I use the Nike+ iPod system. I try to find challenges (distance per month, time per distance, etc). This helps.

- The rest - I've been keeping track of my heart rate and blood pressure for about a year and a half now. I know based on the graphs I've made that if I don't workout at least 3 - 4 times per week, my blood pressure goes back up. Huge motivator right there.

Logging my workouts - seeing the number of miles, minutes, etc also motivates me.

Also, I try not to think too much about it. In the mornings, I roll out of bed, turn the alarm clock off and get dressed. I've found if I stop and think in the mornings, I can usually talk myself back into bed. I can be pretty convincing.
2007-05-22 9:37 AM
in reply to: #811471

User image

Pro
Libertyville, IL

TeddieMao - 2007-05-22 9:13 AM I am lacking the enthusiasm for training. After I trained so hard for the St. Anthony's and then had to back out my discipline level has dropped. Plus I really don't want to swim. Who pushes you? I am committed to the TNT program but the training sessions are sometimes hard to make?

I am pushed by goals generally and staring down the face of an Ironman, I really dont have a choice if I want to make that goal.  For me, I see the sport as an outlet for stress in dealing with 4 kids, work, etc.  I also see it as giving me the physical stamina to deal with the same.  I enjoy working on improvement and the mental exercise of learning more about the sport and myself.  I would say take a look at the reasons you are doing the the sport in the first place and focus on that.  Regarding the swim, if it is because it is hard, dont let that be a stumbling block.  The majority of us come from non swimming backgrounds in this sport.  Heck after two years I am finally feeling comfortable in the pool and able to do a sustained stint of freestyle in the pool.  So lets hear it- what are your reasons for doing tris?  Its a great starting point.  What goals are set?

2007-05-22 9:39 AM
in reply to: #811515

User image

Pro
Libertyville, IL

KenD - 2007-05-22 9:33 AM Things that motivate me: - Running - I use the Nike+ iPod system. I try to find challenges (distance per month, time per distance, etc). This helps. - The rest - I've been keeping track of my heart rate and blood pressure for about a year and a half now. I know based on the graphs I've made that if I don't workout at least 3 - 4 times per week, my blood pressure goes back up. Huge motivator right there. Logging my workouts - seeing the number of miles, minutes, etc also motivates me. Also, I try not to think too much about it. In the mornings, I roll out of bed, turn the alarm clock off and get dressed. I've found if I stop and think in the mornings, I can usually talk myself back into bed. I can be pretty convincing.

Good suggestions!  Thats another thing about the blogs.  You can look back at improvements in distance, speed, weight, volume, etc.  If you are into self improvement, there is a lot to work with in data terms.

2007-05-22 10:35 AM
in reply to: #811522

User image

Elite
Columbus, Ohio
jszat - 2007-05-22 10:37 AM

TeddieMao - 2007-05-22 9:13 AM I am lacking the enthusiasm for training. After I trained so hard for the St. Anthony's and then had to back out my discipline level has dropped. Plus I really don't want to swim. Who pushes you? I am committed to the TNT program but the training sessions are sometimes hard to make?

what are your reasons for doing tris?  Its a great starting point.  What goals are set?

Sorry if I am jumping in but I wanted to answer the question too.

My parents have a multitude of health problems that I want to prevent from happening to me. To do so I need to be active and doing the same thing in the gym every other day just was not cutting it for me. I wanted variation and a challenge and thats how I started training for triathlons. I am doing triathlons to put variation in workouts, deal with stress, push myself and most of all have fun. I want to be healthy and sorry to say it outloud but I want my wife to think I look good. She said it to me a couple nights ago... "You are starting to look really cut." I almost shat myself. Maybe that is vain but it is the truth but having that kind support helps a lot.

Before I completed my first tri I had never really pushed myself to finish anything physically. It was an amazing feeling and a great high. I want to do it again. After not being in the sport last year I felt like I was cutting corners, slacking off and just not trying to push myself. Hense why I am back in the sport. I push myself out of bed everyday to get out there and hit the pool, or road. To get in the saddle or lace up my shoes. My general ambition is what pushes me. I want to do this and I want to be in shape.

My goal for this year is to complete an Olympic distance triathlon. To get there I am going to finish two Sprints to get more experience in open water swims and get used to, as Joe says, the azztastic feeling of BRicks and full events. My first sprint in two years is 19 days away and I am nervous.... Really nervous.

I just hope that I am training properly... That I can push myself on that day to get it done. Once the first tri comes and goes I will know then if the Olympic distance can be realized.
2007-05-22 11:37 AM

User image

Pro
McKinney, TX
Anyone else still fuzzy about heart rate zones? I know I am. I've read and re-read the posts on this site and in books and I'm still trying to figure it out.

When I first got my HR monitor, I performed the tests they recommended in the book that came with it to determine my max HR (183).

Almost a year later, I read the long thread regarding HR zones and tests here. I decide to use a 5K race as my test. Based on that, my Lactate Threshold (LT) is 186 and my Max HR is 199.

This puts my Zone 2 (according to my watch) in the 119-139 range. I can run in the range very easily at somewhere between 10 - 11 min/mile. This weekend I was pushed for time on my long run day and therefore ran faster than this. My average HR was 146 which is in my Zone 3. I tested myself with reality by saying the Pledge of Allegiance. I was able to do this in 4 - 8 word sentences. I THINK this means that I was still running easy.

I've experienced the effects of running slow last year. I kept getting faster with the same HR. I don't want to over do it by increasing my HR into another zone, but I also don't want to waste time by running in a zone that will provide no benefit.

Anyone else have these issues?

2007-05-22 12:16 PM
in reply to: #811825

User image

Pro
Libertyville, IL

KenD - 2007-05-22 11:37 AM Anyone else still fuzzy about heart rate zones? I know I am. I've read and re-read the posts on this site and in books and I'm still trying to figure it out. When I first got my HR monitor, I performed the tests they recommended in the book that came with it to determine my max HR (183). Almost a year later, I read the long thread regarding HR zones and tests here. I decide to use a 5K race as my test. Based on that, my Lactate Threshold (LT) is 186 and my Max HR is 199. This puts my Zone 2 (according to my watch) in the 119-139 range. I can run in the range very easily at somewhere between 10 - 11 min/mile. This weekend I was pushed for time on my long run day and therefore ran faster than this. My average HR was 146 which is in my Zone 3. I tested myself with reality by saying the Pledge of Allegiance. I was able to do this in 4 - 8 word sentences. I THINK this means that I was still running easy. I've experienced the effects of running slow last year. I kept getting faster with the same HR. I don't want to over do it by increasing my HR into another zone, but I also don't want to waste time by running in a zone that will provide no benefit. Anyone else have these issues?

This is an area I have dabbled in but not done nearly enough with.  I havent done an actual test to set my zones but think around 160 is LT (my HR just is naturally low maybe from years of soccer).  Anywho, I have been working more off of perceived exertion but use the HRM for data on how a run is going.  Last Thursday was a perfect example as a nutrition experiment jacked my HR waaaaaay up at one point.  Knowing where that HR was helped me take action and successfully go into some damage control to work with the hand I was dealt.  FWIW, my understanding is that zone 2 offers the same aerobic benefits as zone 3 with less stress on the legs.  That said, zone 3 and up is good for helping build leg strength, just use it in moderation or the risk to injury rises.

2007-05-22 12:53 PM

Veteran
Sun Prairie, WI
Joe,

Any advice on how I should conduct myself now that I'm inside of two weeks to my first big race? I've back-logged my workouts up to the beginning of May so you can see what I've been doing. I'm going to start filling in April too for a better understanding of where I'm at.

My biggest concern is that it's been a while since I've really felt like I've done any kind of over-training. It used to come in undetermined cycles. I don't want that part of the cycle to hit me next week. Obviously I'll take it fairly easy next week, but don't know how easy, or what I should be doing this week.
2007-05-22 2:23 PM
in reply to: #811999

User image

Pro
Libertyville, IL

stainofmind - 2007-05-22 12:53 PM Joe, Any advice on how I should conduct myself now that I'm inside of two weeks to my first big race? I've back-logged my workouts up to the beginning of May so you can see what I've been doing. I'm going to start filling in April too for a better understanding of where I'm at. My biggest concern is that it's been a while since I've really felt like I've done any kind of over-training. It used to come in undetermined cycles. I don't want that part of the cycle to hit me next week. Obviously I'll take it fairly easy next week, but don't know how easy, or what I should be doing this week.

How are your workouts feeling?  Do you think you are dragging at this time or feeling overtrained?  I would cut back on too much tempo stuff and cut volume big time the week before if this is a key race for you.  The days before I would recommend maybe a few short workouts with some of the activity at race pace but not too much.

2007-05-22 2:26 PM

User image

Pro
Libertyville, IL
Oh yeah- from an aerobic standpoint, it is important to note that most of the hay is in the barn as they say, meaning cramming in workouts will do ya no good right now, so dont feel compelled to throw in that extra one or two with hopes of improving performance at this point.
2007-05-22 3:11 PM
in reply to: #812214

Veteran
Sun Prairie, WI
jszat - 2007-05-22 2:23 PM

stainofmind - 2007-05-22 12:53 PM Joe, Any advice on how I should conduct myself now that I'm inside of two weeks to my first big race? I've back-logged my workouts up to the beginning of May so you can see what I've been doing. I'm going to start filling in April too for a better understanding of where I'm at. My biggest concern is that it's been a while since I've really felt like I've done any kind of over-training. It used to come in undetermined cycles. I don't want that part of the cycle to hit me next week. Obviously I'll take it fairly easy next week, but don't know how easy, or what I should be doing this week.

How are your workouts feeling? Do you think you are dragging at this time or feeling overtrained? I would cut back on too much tempo stuff and cut volume big time the week before if this is a key race for you. The days before I would recommend maybe a few short workouts with some of the activity at race pace but not too much.

I feel pretty good right now. I actually feel like adding to my workload. I probably just cleared that hurdle I was battling a couple of months ago of feeling over-trained, and this is simply the level I'm at right now. That or I'm peaking right now (two weeks too soon). I definitely don't want to cram, but I can't help to wonder if a little cramming would at least boost my confidence level (like by riding a single IMWI loop this Sat), then take it easy from then on. Lake Mills is pretty important to me though, so it's not like I would consider taking any real risks. If Lake Mills was more of a stepping stool to something else, than I guess it would be an entirely different set of circumstances, and I'd ride hard right up to race time, but I've got something to prove on June 3.

Which leads me into some more last minute crunching, regarding swimming technique. I'm a terrible swimmer. Any last minute tips on refining my form so the breathing comes easier? I find myself completely out of whack by the end of every other lap and I have to stop to catch my breath. I've been right-side breathing every two strokes. I tried left-side breathing yesterday and it makes me wild/dizzy. I even toyed around with breathing every 4 strokes, which makes me fast as hell, but only good to go for about a lap.

2007-05-22 3:49 PM
in reply to: #812309

User image

Pro
Libertyville, IL
stainofmind - 2007-05-22 3:11 PM
jszat - 2007-05-22 2:23 PM

How are your workouts feeling? Do you think you are dragging at this time or feeling overtrained? I would cut back on too much tempo stuff and cut volume big time the week before if this is a key race for you. The days before I would recommend maybe a few short workouts with some of the activity at race pace but not too much.

I feel pretty good right now. I actually feel like adding to my workload. I probably just cleared that hurdle I was battling a couple of months ago of feeling over-trained, and this is simply the level I'm at right now. That or I'm peaking right now (two weeks too soon). I definitely don't want to cram, but I can't help to wonder if a little cramming would at least boost my confidence level (like by riding a single IMWI loop this Sat), then take it easy from then on. Lake Mills is pretty important to me though, so it's not like I would consider taking any real risks. If Lake Mills was more of a stepping stool to something else, than I guess it would be an entirely different set of circumstances, and I'd ride hard right up to race time, but I've got something to prove on June 3. Which leads me into some more last minute crunching, regarding swimming technique. I'm a terrible swimmer. Any last minute tips on refining my form so the breathing comes easier? I find myself completely out of whack by the end of every other lap and I have to stop to catch my breath. I've been right-side breathing every two strokes. I tried left-side breathing yesterday and it makes me wild/dizzy. I even toyed around with breathing every 4 strokes, which makes me fast as hell, but only good to go for about a lap.

I am generally conservative on this kind of thing most of the time and try not to upset the applecart within spitting distance of a race, especially if it is an important race.  I say that last part cuz I am using a few races this summer as training races vs all out efforts.  That said, I did a century ride (my first) three weeks before my half ironman just because I thought it would be a good confidence booster.  So, I see little wrong with a big day like the Moo ride since biking is low impact and you can vary you pace considerably.  I would back off of it though if it is way outside of your longest mileage for the year.

RE swimming, my advice at this point would be to try and get in an open water swim or two if you havent.  The OWS comfort will do more to help at this point vs form adjustments.  I also recommend taking a peek at Total Immersion's site as they have some examples of balance drills and so on, some of these which will help immensely.  I struggled with breathing for ages until I started breathing every other stroke (so stroke right, breath, stroke left, stroke right, breath stroke left) and found great success.  Focus more on form than speed and as advised before, work on pressing your head and chest lower to keep the arse and legs up.

2007-05-24 12:37 PM

User image

Pro
Libertyville, IL
Kinda quiet past few days.  Does that mean everybody has it all figured out and it whoopin some azz? 
2007-05-24 1:00 PM

User image

Pro
McKinney, TX
We're all out swimming, biking and running instead of on the computer.

Or maybe not.

I've got Friday off this week and of course, Monday. Trying to plan the workouts for the weekend around family events.

Friday afternoon - dance recital on-stage rehearsal
Saturday morning - dance recital
Sunday - nothing so far
Monday - High School graduation

I should be able to get a decent length ride in on Friday morning and Sunday morning. With a long run on Saturday morning (if I get up early enough).
2007-05-24 1:28 PM
in reply to: #815465

User image

Pro
Libertyville, IL

KenD - 2007-05-24 1:00 PM We're all out swimming, biking and running instead of on the computer. Or maybe not. I've got Friday off this week and of course, Monday. Trying to plan the workouts for the weekend around family events. Friday afternoon - dance recital on-stage rehearsal Saturday morning - dance recital Sunday - nothing so far Monday - High School graduation I should be able to get a decent length ride in on Friday morning and Sunday morning. With a long run on Saturday morning (if I get up early enough).

I am currently trying to re-write the book on early AM workouts.  Check out my blog for the nonsense I will go through to get IM training in and spare some family time.  Oy, its gonna be a long summer! (fun too though)

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » jszat's group- closed Rss Feed  

of 13