Connecticut
Subject: RE: James G Group - CLOSED

Edited by jamesG 2007-12-12 9:35 PM

2007-12-12 9:36 PM
in reply to: #1088223

Extreme Veteran
Connecticut

Ok So first article addressing Tom's question on purchasing a new Bike.

Budget:

Budget will largely determine the kind of bike you can buy and as Tom says at the end of the process still want to be able to put food on the table. Remember to include the added extras you need pedals, shoes, bike fit, water cages, bike computer just in extras you are talking circa $300 - $400. My recommendation is if budget is limited get 1 cheap aluminum water cage for $10 and a set of pedals and shoes worry about all the other gadgets later.

In my opinion to get a decent “New” entry level bike you are looking at least $1,000 essentials include a good aluminum frame, 105 Shimano components don’t go any lower than 105 on the components. Also at this price range bike should have a front fork made of carbon and hopefully a carbon seat post, this will stop a lot of road vibration. Don’t get hung up on how much the bike weighs if you are worried about it then stop having dessert one night a week and you will soon have lost the 1 – 2lbs in weight difference to the next bike up in the price range.

If you don’t have a budget of $1,000 then my advice is get a second hand bike you can see some wicked deals on good bikes on this site. See below link for classifieds also e-bay has good deals. http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/forum-view.asp?fid=8#s

I brought my wife’s bike a 2006 Specialized Allez off the classifieds with only 250 miles on it. It included shoes, pedals, cycle computer of course remember you will have to pay for shipping a professional fit buying a second hand bike which is gonna set you back $150 new bikes will come with a professional fit included free of charge.

Process

Start at your local bike shop as ideally you will buy your bike here as it will be convenient for getting the bike serviced later. Tell the sales guy your budget and then test ride the ones he shows you I did this with my first purchase I rode 5 bikes all within $200 of each other and the bike I brought was the one that felt the best to me. If they don’t let you test the bikes then walk out and go to a different shop.

Sizing is the most important aspect of the purchase decision. I always read so many posts on the BT triathlon talk about people that have brought bikes and 6 months later are buying a new one as the bike doesn’t fit properly. Poor bike fit means slower biking, risk of injuries. A professional fit will help you out here by the bike shop measuring you they will then be able to match you to the right sized bike and the model. ONCE AGAIN PROPER FIT IS THE MOST IMPORTANT ASPECT OF THE BIKE SELCTION PROCESS. If you want to find out what a bad bike fit does to your performance read my very first race in my race reports see link, after this race I had a pro bike fit and my speed increased 2 miles an hour. http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp... face="Times New Roman" size="3"> 

Both of my bikes I brought at the end of the season my first bike I brought September 2006 Scott S20 roadbike I got on sale from $1,600 to $1,200. My 2007 Cervello P2C I brought September 2007 down from $3000 to $2700 I also got lot’s of extras included. End of season is always a good time to buy as shops will be trying to clear out 2007 stock to make way for 2008 stock always ask for a package discount if the bike shop says no go elsewhere. Shop around someone will always be willing to do a deal.

Articles here on the BT Site about bike Fit:

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/cms/article-detail.asp?articleid=189

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/cms/article-detail.asp?articleid=558

Tribike versus Road Bike:

This is a real dilemma, when I first started back into the sport end of 2006 I hadn’t been on a bike in 10 years and weighed 215lbs. I test rode a tri bike and it felt dreadful it was all over the place and I was deeply concerned about my ability not to kill myself in the first week of riding it so I went for the road bike. The problem I found was after 9 months or so when my fitness improved weight dropped and I could ride 50 miles easily and my bike handling had improved I would get passed in races by people on tri bikes. So I found I had to upgrade to a tri bike to be competitive on the bike.

The key differences between a tri bike and a road bike are the tri bike is more aerodynamic, the cost of this is the handling and breaking usually isn’t as good as a road bike. Tri bikes are faster downhill and on the flats and in windy conditions. A road bike is better for riding up hills. Also another difference is tri bikes are designed to enable you to run fresher of the bike than a road bike. Remember of course that triathlon bikes require greater flexibility and strength particularly the lower back, neck, shoulders and can be tough on the body for someone new to the sport

My recommendation is test ride a road bike versus a tri bike that will tell you pretty quickly the difference. Most new people starting the sport go with the road bike as it is safer more versatile and a better learning tool. Recommend the below article Road bike vs tri bike. A good tip is to get some aero bars on your road bike you then have a half way house between a road bike and a tri bike.

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/cms/article-detail.asp?articleid=938

Key is get to love your bike, you will spend a lot of time on it as a triathlete 8-)

Hope this has been helpful, let me know if this kind of detail is something you are after or let me know if you would like to structure answers in a different way.

2007-12-12 9:42 PM
in reply to: #1098494

Extreme Veteran
Connecticut

Hi Aaron - I live in Fairlfield County in a little town called Weston. Nearest big town to us is Norwalk and I work in Stamford. Closest exit to us on teh I95 is exit 15 so we are pretty far south down towards New York.

Run and Ride sound good to me, we have a 56 mile charity ride down her in May time, a great day, you should come down and do it.....Let's touch base when it starts warming up a bit.

Ok all tomorrow I am going to try and post something on Kristin's running question and Molly's Swimming question. 

2007-12-14 10:29 AM

Extreme Veteran
Connecticut

So what has everyone got planned for the weekend?

- Tonight I have my work teams X-mas dinner, few drinks and some dinner.

- Saturday Long Run and Weights.

- Sunday Long Ride and off to watch the Giants play at Giants Stadium in NY.

2007-12-14 12:21 PM
in reply to: #1098832

User image

Veteran
Allen, TX
aarondavidson - 2007-12-12 8:55 PM
kriscrn - 2007-12-12 8:38 PM

aarondavidson - 2007-12-12 6:08 PM James: Approximately where in CT are you? I am right off 95 at the CT/RI border. Just curious, maybe meet up for a run or ride sometime.

I just moved away from there this summer. I was living in East Providence....probably about 40 minutes away from you.

I lived in Allen for about 9 months because of work. I lived off of McDermott, east of the strip mall, the cross street is the one that is near Sonic.

East of Route 75?

I'm also living off McDermott, but west of 75. Small world, huh?

2007-12-14 12:26 PM
in reply to: #1101803

User image

Veteran
Allen, TX
jamesG - 2007-12-14 10:29 AM

So what has everyone got planned for the weekend?

Christmas cookie baking....:::gulp:::...will try not to eat too many of them.

Holiday party at a co-worker of my hubby's house.

Will try to get in some type of workout on at least one day this weekend, but  both days would be better.

2007-12-14 12:27 PM

User image

Veteran
Allen, TX

James,

Love the article format. Very helpful...wish I had had such concise info when I was shopping for a bike. Luckily, I ended up at a great bike shop which did everything you mentioned should be done at a good shop.

2007-12-14 1:21 PM

User image

Regular
Lafayette, LA
Tonight - short swim and short ride on the trainer. Then Christmas shopping with the family.

Sat - Long Run. Possibly some yoga sometime in the afternoon.

Sun - Long Ride. Then off to the Superdome to see the Saints.

2007-12-14 2:04 PM

Extreme Veteran
Connecticut

Sounds like a good weekend planned. I am about three quarters of the way through a piece on training zones and intensity. Will be finished this weekend and will post to the web. Then a running and a swimming piece next. I have Monday off so should get a lot done.

Remember consistency is the key to training, you will make better fitness gains by training an hour every day and having one or two days of rest than training 3 hours on a Saturday then having to take two or three days to recover from those sessions.

Remember it is the off-season or in some cases the start of your first adventure into tri's, the key this time of year is to build base, long and slow on the bike and run. The bigger your base the better you will be prepared to start doing speed training in spring in preparation for your races. Compare it to a pyramid the wider the base the higher it can go. If you look at my logs I am doing no speed training and wont be until about April time, The/My body can't cope with the continuous pounding for too long especially for running before injuries occur. Zone 1 and Zone 2 is also where fat burning occurs so if you want to lose weight this is the area to train in. The article I am putting together now has a description of the zones and how to calculate them....For the meantime think of Zone 1 and 2 as being able to hold an easy conversation while training. Finally remember the golden rule, NEVER increase your long sessions on the run or bike by more than 10% per week in duration. If you are following a BT plan this will factor it in, also every fourth week of training should be a step down week, i.e. cut volume by 30% this allows your body to recover and rebuild. The whole purpose of training is your body breaks itself down and then rebuilds it's self stronger. If it isn't given sufficent time to do this it can't rebuid itself and injuries occur due to over-training, sure symptoms of over-training are tiredness mentally and physically including irritation, lots of niggling injuries including lower body niggles in feet, calfs etc and a decrease in training performance.

Enjoy your weekend! 

Edited by jamesG 2007-12-14 2:30 PM
2007-12-14 2:09 PM

User image

Elite
I have 2 moderate rides planned for today and some shopping. Saturday I am going for a 5-6 mile run (still breaking in new shoes) in the morning then watching my daughter most of the day and heading to a Christmas party in the evening. Sunday will be 1 long ride and maybe a 5k afternoon race in Boston depending on the weather.

2007-12-14 2:58 PM

User image

Expert
Long Island, NY
I plan on an hour and a half or so on the trainer tonight or after work tomorrow, depending on how the little ones cooperate with bedtime.

Sunday will be an early rise for a 5-6 mile run (longer if I get the urge) before they wake and we start the day's activities. I don't know what those activites entail, though. The wife hasn't told me yet ;-)

As long as one night this weekend will enable me to relax on my sofa under a blanket with a nice single malt, all will be right with the world.

2007-12-14 3:10 PM

Extreme Veteran
Connecticut

Thought I would post pics of my bikes...anyone got any pictures of their machines?. I love both of my bikes. The Road bike is my Scott and my tri bike is my Cervello. The Cervello is a flying machine and the same color and  year model of the bike in which the female winner of Kona rode this year, it si a bi*ch to handle when you get some serious cross winds though 8-)

(ctmpphp9P88iJ_Bike10.jpg)

(tmpphpkYKgFJ_Scott.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
ctmpphp9P88iJ_Bike10.jpg (66KB - 20 downloads)
tmpphpkYKgFJ_Scott.jpg (90KB - 22 downloads)
2007-12-14 4:52 PM

User image

Elite
Here is my bike, 2007 Jamis Trilogy. Pretty much looks the same now.

[edit] I dont have a pic small enough to upload [/edit]
But it looks identical to this:
http://jamisbikes.com/usa/bikes/07_bikes/trilogy.html

Edited by aarondavidson 2007-12-14 4:55 PM
2007-12-14 9:40 PM

User image

Veteran
Las Vegas, NV
Sorry for not posting earlier - for a reduced work day it has been crazy. Workouts for this weekend include a long ride Saturday and a short swim and short run on Sunday.

Have a great weekend everyone!

Btw: saw I Am Legend today. Ok but my suggestion is wait until it comes out on DVD.
2007-12-14 9:50 PM

User image

Expert
Long Island, NY
http://www.feltracing.com/06/06_triathlon/t23/

This is my ride. Basically road geometry with aerobars, which I switched out to airstrykes. If anyone wants the jammer GTs it came with, let me know and they're yours. She will do as primary for now, though I will keep her when I get my tri geometry bike.

I've got my eye on either the B2 or B12 as incentive to continue.

MTB is a Specialized Stumpjumper FSR.
2007-12-15 10:12 AM

Extreme Veteran
Connecticut

Sweet bikes aaron and charlie......I have never seen one of the Jamis tri bikes before looks hot.

Charlie B12 and B2 are very good machines.... 

2007-12-16 9:35 PM

User image

Expert
Long Island, NY
Well, this weekend was a dud training wise. Got an hour and a half on the trainer Friday night. Came home from work Saturday to a 2 year old temper tantrum and one month old crying fit. That ended up being a late night short glass of Glenlivet. Todays planned run was done in by the weather and potty training issues (the daughter's, not mine), though I did get the heart rate up chipping ice and shoveling for an hour or so.

There's always tomorrow...
2007-12-17 4:16 PM

User image

Elite
My driveway is still a sheet of ice, it hasnt warmed up to melt at all. I wish I could have ran, but I spent alot of time on the trainer.
2007-12-17 6:22 PM

Extreme Veteran
Connecticut

I hear you man it is so cold here. I went to watch the Giants play last night and left half way through the third Qtr.

Very frustrating not being able to train outside, I made myself do my long run outside on Saturday despite the cold and ice.....

Here is too a good week of training this week!

2007-12-18 10:40 AM

Extreme Veteran
Connecticut

Guy's my thoughts on training Zones, this is very important! The articles are very good and I woudl encourage you to read them!

TRAINING ZONES

Hi guy’s saw this article in the D3 newsletter thought this is an excellent article and this is one of the most important topics for new Triathletes (see italics). The tendency for beginners is to always train hard, this causes injuries as tendons, muscles etc aren’t ready to take on the load of day in and day out speed training particularly for running. I did this a lot at the beginning of the year and had a lot of lower limb injuries. Looking at some of your logs I can see some really high average heart rates and some speedy runs.

If you look at my logs you will see my long runs and cycles are all done in Zone 1 to early zone 2 i.e. easy pace. For example my Sunday long run of 7 miles I average 9.20minute miles or late Zone 1. My shorter 3 – 4 mile run during the week I sit in mid zone 2 at around 8.20 minute miles.

"SIMPLY" Training Zones for the Beginner Triathlete”

So, let’s start with defining training zone. In this article it is a given level of intensity that is measured by your heart rate monitor. It is your ability for training on the run or on the bike. These training zones are important to you for a multitude of reasons as they help you keep easy days, easy, and hard days, hard. These zones help you determine your effort during an anaerobic workout which includes intervals and recovery between intervals.

“One of the simplest ways we can learn to understand the different zones is by defining them. These five zones are as follows:

Recovery/Zone 1: This zone is where we do our easiest workouts. This is typically a workout that is used as a recovery and usually follows a hard workout or training day. The overall intensity is low and is well below our lactate threshold level. This zone is most often used as the recovery portion of an interval workout.
Extensive Endurance/Zone 2: Often referred to as the “conversational pace” zone, we want to use this to build our aerobic endurance. Lactate build is low so we can train for longer periods of time or extensively to build our aerobic endurance. This zone is the most used zone by multisport athletes.
Intensive Endurance/Zone 3: This zone is used in the base phase. It is a slightly higher level than zone 2 as is lactate production. As we move out of the base phase and into the build phase we tend to train in the zone above or below this zone.
Threshold/Zone 4: This zone, along with zone 2 is the most important zone for us to train in. In this zone we work just above or below lactate threshold. Here we look at intervals in terms of minutes vs. hours of training. Training in this zone helps us to increase our lactate tolerance and removal of lactate from the muscles.
Anaerobic/Zone 5: This zone sees us training beyond lactate threshold and the intervals are short. This zone needs to be used with caution as it is the zone that most often causes injuries when overused.”

Zone 1 and 2 are the primary Zones for fat rate burning i.e. Weight loss. There is a very significant school of thought that believes until you are capable of running fast from memory the equivalent of a Boston Qualifier time you should stick to endurance running only i.e Zone 1 and 2 with one tempo run a week i.e. intervals of 5 x 2min Zone 4 runs with 2min recovery in between or something like this. The thought process is this training will enable to reach 90% of your ability while ensuring injuries aren’t incurred by training with too much intensity.

How do we calculate our LT Zones?

We try to establish our Lactose Threshold (LT). LT is the point at which lactic acid, the by product of the muscular metabolic process, is accumulating in your muscles faster than your body can clear it out. It's your body's natural braking system so that you don't kill yourself with over-exertion.

To calculate the LT we have to do a test, please note LT only applies for running and cycling. WARNING LT Tests are extremely painful and challenging and should not be attempted unless you are sure you can do it with-out injury. I think the only ones in our group at this stage that should be doing LT tests are Molly & QArron.. Others give it a month of consistent training and in the meantime just train easy pace. I HAVE NEVER DONE A RUN LT TEST. I do plenty of LT tests on the bike and just add 8 beats per minute to the bike LT to get my run LT, run LT for the vast majority of people will always be higher than Bike LT. Run LT’s are very damaging and I only want to put my body through that kind of pain exertion on race day. Remember run is my strong leg and I run a 6.45min mile in a sprint and about a 7.20min mile in an Olympic if you are starting to get the picture training is not all about speed, speed is a by-product of good technique and a big base to start with.

The test it self, warm up for 15 minutes. Start your Heart Rate monitor after warm-up and build up to maximum maintainable speed for the duration of the test on the bike or run for 10 minutes. When you get to the 10 minute mark click the lap function on your HR monitor then hold maximum speed for 20 minutes click your heart rate monitor lap function at the end of the 20 minutes this will give you an average heart rate number across that 20 minute period. That is your LT for bike or run depending on what discipline you are measuring. Some people do a 5k race or a bike time trial to get this measurement as you will be at race pace across the test. I often do this during the season.

Don’t forget that your LT will change as you become more conditioned so you’re going to have to repeat the test periodically to update your training zones.

So you now have your maximum LT or Zone 5. To calculate your training zones from 1 – 5 dump your maximum LT number from your test in a spreadsheet and calculate your zones with the below %’s of max LT. I have a cool spreadsheet I can e-mail if you want post your e-mail address and I will forward.

Zone                                                Percent LT           
Zone 1 (Recovery Zone)                    65-85%   
Zone 2 (Extensive Endurance)         85-90%    
Zone 3 (Intensive Endurance)          90-95%    
Zone 4 -5a (Lactate Threshold)        95-102%     
Zone 5b/5c (Power Training)            102-110%    
So now you have your zones what does this mean? First step is to update your polar to the LT number i.e change the settings to have this number as your maximum rate number. This will enable you when you train to match the % on your HR monitor to the HRate % above. Most plans on BT and the like will say things like easy run in Zone 2 you now can monitor you Polar to stay at the 85% level the whole time and adjust your pace & effort to train in the zone. Also this is useful for racing. As an example in Sprints I don’t use my H Rate monitor I am fit enough to race at my LT for the 1 hour of the race. For Olympic I race in early Zone 4 on the bike and then look to push into late Zone 4 on the run. HIM distance I race Early Zone 3 on the bike and mid-zone 3 on the run. I believe in these things religiously, and in fact am currently looking to purchase a power meter which is a more accurate form of measuring your bike effort and power.
Any questions post them.
Some Articles:
http://www.madisontrainer.com/HeartRateHandbook.php  (Recommend)
http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/cms/article-detail.asp?articleid=53 (V Good)
http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/cms/article-detail.asp?articleid=54 (V Good)

Edited by jamesG 2007-12-18 4:00 PM
2007-12-18 4:05 PM

Extreme Veteran
Connecticut

Ok team - Looking through some of your logs It appears we are all busy people, yeah know sh*t working and family and trying to train consistently are the main challenges to a non-professional triathlete in my opinion.

So what about everyone share their one top time Mgmt saving technique.

Mine is. Train as early as you can in the day, this will mean you are done for the day. Work and family things always crop up later in the day and put time pressure on us fitting our training in...Also thsi impacts your family the least, especially in the weekend!

2007-12-18 4:48 PM

User image

Elite
Train after the baby goes to sleep if you cant in the morning. The morning is so much nicer to train in, because you havent been eating all day long.
2007-12-18 5:32 PM

User image

Expert
Long Island, NY
I can second both of those. It's difficult to start waking early to run/bike, but it does become routine after a bit. I should get a less comfortable bed so I'm less prone to stay in it!

I do find myself using the trainer mainly at night, though. I'll set it up after dinner while the two year old is getting ready for bed and then hop on when she's out. This has suffered a bit as of late with a five week old who cries. And cries. And cries. And cries, though it is getting better. Helping out the distraught wife trumps time on the trainer even though that soothes my frustration.

If I can add one, it is: don't procrastinate. I've been prone to procrastination my whole life and don't think that will ever change. Knowing this as a weakness, I make a concious effort to do things NOW because I know they won't get done if I put it off. Not just with training, but with most everything. I've put off eating because I don't want to open the tuna can. Not even joking.

And cries...
2007-12-18 5:43 PM

User image

Elite
My problem early in the morning is that I get up at 5:45am to get to work, so getting up 'early' isnt a real option. Especially since I get to bed at 10 on a good night but normally around 11.

Albeit on the weekends I try to get out and run as early as possible.

Edited by aarondavidson 2007-12-18 5:44 PM
2007-12-18 8:13 PM

Extreme Veteran
Connecticut

Charlie gee whizz damn. I love procrastination. My motto used to be "Why do today what I can put off until tomorrow" 8-)

Not any more though, a couple of tips for you on what I do. HAVE a clear space for all your tri things I have a spare room which I know not everyone has the benefit of having at least have a draw or an area of the closet that is yours 8-). Everything lives in a place and by discipline i.e. S/B/R things all in different draws. I also have two bags always packed swim bag and gym bag so I can just grab first thing.

Another thing I used to do was put all my weeks workouts in my blog in the calendar in advance  that way I always knew what I was doing a week in advance. Also if you type in big red letters Plan - Run 40 minutes you are then accountable everyone can see in your logs you goofing off.

Aaron yep hard to train in the morning when you have to get to work that early, not sure if you work weekends, if you don't then in summer schedule long runs and rides tehn family wont even miss you if you are on the road by 6am - 4 hour ride you are home by 10am...

Keep the tips coming... 

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » James G Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 10