Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 8

2007-12-27 11:47 AM
in reply to: #1102173

User image

Expert
NW Suburbs, Illinois
Subject: RE: Schmize's Group - FULL

Mikkel - you are also doing all the right things.  Must be awesome living in LA where you can get out and do your workouts in nice weather almost any time!  And then to have your own business.  Very nice.  What do you do?

Make sure and ask the coach who is on deck at your Master's class for any tips she/he might have.  Invaluable.  Masters classes are great in that they have a coach (usually) and you have other people of varying strengths to keep you honest when you are there.

You are going to enjoy the HIM.  It is a different animal, though, in that you are really going to need to practice your nutrition while training.  If you are not fueled properly, the race can get long and hard in a hurry!

2007-12-27 3:55 PM

New user

There will be some reiteration here, but I guess it'll be good to have it one post anyways..

Strengths: My ability to calmly run for 2 hours or so. Still kinda slow, but my endurance is still improving. I really enjoy just running as a way to relax and spend some time thinking and praying. Cycling is a close second to running, as I am becoming better very quickly by improving my power output and endurance. Cycling Club and collegiate road races will help improve my bike a lot.

Weaknesses: Swimming. I still am very inefficient and lack fluidity and balance in the pool. Once I get the technique down though, I shouldn't have too much of a problem working up the distance. I will most likely be taking a Fitness Swimming course through K-State that should help with technique and practice, or if not that I am searching for other instruction.

Next Season: Train effectively and efficiently to take advantage of my youth and newness to endurance sports in order to make large improvements in my fitness. I know the improvements I see will start to trail off, so I want to make some large one's this first year. Completing the Kansas Ironman 70.3 with a sub-6hr time is my main goal for the year as far as triathlons go. Overall, next year will consist of a lot of sampling of different things as I try to figure out what I want to truly dedicate myself to. Cycling, Running, Swimming, Duathlons, Triathlons, Mountain Biking, XTERRA, Cyclocross, Marathons. There are so many ways to enjoy fitness and compete in events.

Long Term: Well, IM is a long-term goal. Staying with endurance sports and continuing to live a healthy and active lifestyle. It would be sweet to compete at Kona, it might take me four years or more but if I stay with it I bet I could make it. But, as I haven't done any triathlons yet Kona is more of a dream.

Why I Tri: Stay fit, healthy, and athletic when it is all too easy to be lazy in college otherwise. Triathlons gave me a long-term goal, commitment, and motivation to stick with a training program and gave me a reason to eat right. Working out for the sake of working out just doesn't cut it. Also, triathlons were more interesting to me than say just a marathon because of the three sport rather than just running. But this has had a strange effect, as I am now going to do marathons and cycling events as well.

Question: Any of you have favorite recipes/meals that you like to eat often?
One of my favorites is a chicken and black bean burrito (whole wheat tortillas) served with salsa. I usually make batches of 10 and freeze most of them for the next two weeks or so.
2007-12-27 4:19 PM

User image

I think I got in the group under the wire, so just wanted to introduce myself.

NAME: Aron
STORY: My second full season of triathlons. Have 6 sprint races under my belt.
FAMILY STATUS: Married with twin 3.5 yr. old daughters
CURRENT TRAINING: Winter training is a little slacking, which is why i signed up under the mentor program. I need somebody to crack the whip a little and push some of my training to the next level. Swimming is my strength and usually finish in the top 10% of the field. Biking is solidly average, but my new bike is guaranteed to make me faster (LOL). I only run because i have to, my weakest portion, but the largest area for opportunity. I usually run around 3 miles 3x a week during the season, but gettng geared up for a little winter running. I usually run around a 9:00/mile pace. Maybe faster if I'm running douwnhill with a tailwind.

THIS YEAR'S RACES: Did 4 sprints, Elkhart Lake (in my backyard), High Cliff, Stevens Point and Manitowoc. Manitowoc was my 1 year anniversary race and i took 7 minutes off my 2006 time, which I was happy about.

2008 RACES: Elkhart Lake OLY (my first), I am planning on the Spirit of Racine (HIM, my first),probably two other Sprints if i can fit it in the schedule.

WEIGHTLOSS: I usually hover around the 250 mark, mid season I was down to 242. I want to lose 20-30 lbs. this year to make me a better long distance athlete. I have a belly with love handles which is classic example of a poor diet. The wife and i are working on remeding that portion. My plan is to start logging what I eat so everyone can watch me.

WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD MENTEE: Willing to listen to suggestions and have fun doing it.

I hope to participate in the group and contribute in any way that i can.
2007-12-27 9:10 PM

User image

Regular
Los Angeles
Scott - good stuff. And if you have time, please review my nutrition blog as we progress and give me feedback. I will be as honest as I can. I have a concern about getting enough calories in me given how much I am working out.

Living and training in Los Angeles is AWESOME! It's a wee bit cold right now (low 60's), but the sun is shining, and when I did my long ride on Sunday I found myself at the top of Mt Hollywood overlooking the city from San Fernando Valley all the way to the Pacific Ocean in 67 degrees. Pretty sweet for Dec 23rd.

My Master's Class does have a coach who is great. I took a TI workshop a few months ago, and it has really helped my swimming. I suspect that a lot of it is just practice to get me up to swimming the 2210 yards that comprise the 1.2 Miles. I know I can do it by using breast stroke, but I would like to do it freestyle to conserve energy and have some fresh legs for the bike part of the race.
2007-12-28 10:03 AM

User image

Expert
NW Suburbs, Illinois

OK, Here is how the group shapes out complete w: nicknames/real names - (main race '08):

Schmize/Scott - (IMWI, Sept)
Oraneburst/Scott - (HIM, June)
mbondesen/Mikkel - (HIM, May)
AngeloS/Angelo - (sprint, June)
lawlordc/Denny - (Oly?, ??)
Sarah Ray/Sarah - (Oly, 2 of them)
Ajotto/Aron - (HIM, July)

You should all have these people in your friends catergory in your blog, so we get the most out of this program.  I will be checking blogs regularly so I will know  

lawlordc - You need to make your blog public so we can view it!

Also, we have a varying amount of experience, age, and race goals which is awesome, but also makes things challenging b/c what works in one area, doesn't always work elsewhere.  Therefore this thread will try to stay general, but if you have a specific question please ask and I will answer it the best way possible and try to explain my rationale.  For instance, Orangeburst (who is 19 w/o kids) will have different workout times and will be able to recover easier than most of us.  So, a morning run and an evening run on the same day may be OK, but for the rest of us is asking for a trip to the doctor....

Depending on the traffic/questions/comments, I will be throwing up questions for the group on nutrition, training plans, goals, and anything else that enters my little brain....

For now, looking at people's schedules it looks like most of us should be building our base.  Mikkel has a big race in May, but should also be working on base.  I am a firm believer in periodization, b/c it works and all the top coaches utilize it.  Basically, 2/3 weeks building intensity or endurance and then an activer recovery week.  You will find that recovery is where the most progress is made.

2007-12-28 10:58 AM
in reply to: #1120236

User image

Extreme Veteran
Denver
Scott

Thanks for all the help now and moving forward. I am actualy looking to do my first race on March 16 (the day before my 34th birthday) and my second in June. Is there anything you can see that I am obviously missing in my workouts and should add?

Since I live in the Florida Keys (it's 78 degress today) I don't have any winter workout restrictions. Also I am within walking distance to the ocean at all times....would you recommend open water training once I'm comfortable with my freestyle.

I'll start using the nutrition log more as lately it's been difficult to stick to eating 6 times a day due to the demands at work. Hopefully logging everything will help keep me accountable.

Angelo

"TV is chewing gum for the eyes" Frank Lloyd Wright

2007-12-28 11:50 AM

User image

Veteran
I've just read through the thread and am feeling a little behind on blogging/logging. I will catch up on all of that in the next week. The tools were a great asset for me last year and I look forward to your input.

Strengths: Swim, I love it, especially in a wet suit! I'm self taught, read a lot, watch videos, and practice in a 25 yd. pool!! Fear of falling off the plan and not knowing how to get back into it keeps me from straying from the prescribed workouts down to the minute.

Weaknesses: Running, I have no natural ability here, but my training has shown I can improve greatly.

Next Season: Complete my repeat events faster than before, stay injury free, be disqualified from the Athena category, locate a group to train with.

Long Term: Complete HIM, use my experiences to help others/raise money, volunteer in the sport.

Why Tri: I love the periodization training plans and the marked results I achieve that way, variety, specific fitness goals to work towards, and the spiritual connection I feel on long rides and runs (haven't discovered anything spiritual in swimming yet).

Sarah

2007-12-28 10:48 PM

User image

Regular
Los Angeles
I just found out today that my swim class isn't a real Master's Class. I was talking to one of the other swimmers after our workout today (which kicked my butt - 4 x 40 sprints just suck when you're not used to swimming AT ALL), and it's apparently one "step" down from a Master's Class. But the other swimmers are so damn good. I am constantly the last to finish, sometimes by two lengths, and it drives me nuts.

I have a looooooong way to go before I can freestyle my way through the 2200 yards that comprise the HIM in 5 months...
2007-12-29 12:32 AM

User image

Regular
Los Angeles
Oh and Scott, forgot to answer your question about work, but I am in the Film and TV business. Among other things I am the Exec Producer of a TV show called BURN NOTICE which airs on USA. If you didn't see it this summer, make sure you catch it on re-runs...

I signed up to do the 70.3 HIM in Florida because we shoot out there, and I thought it would be good to combine work with some serious play...
2007-12-29 8:55 AM

User image

Veteran
Mikkel,

I read some good training nutrition advice on my local tri-club web site that you might like. Unlike you, the poster was trying to lose weight, but he separated 'daily calories' and 'training calories.'

Read the full post at: http://triokc.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=4804&highlight=weight#4804

Here is an excerpt on the training calories:

Training calories
This was another biggie. I read some papers from a physiologist/nutritionist that I respected, because her biological thought was very sound (which often isn’t the case with exercise physiology). From her papers and articles, I established the following protocol for training calories that can be broken down into two phases: workout calories and recovery calories. For workout calories, I consumed zero in the first hour (water only). For each hour after that, I consumed 200-300 per hour. Post-workout, I consumed 250 calories for every hour that I worked out. So for a 5-hour ride, I consumed 0 calories in the first hour, and 800-1200 for the next 4 hours. After the ride, I ate 1250 calories for recovery. THESE CALORIES DO NOT COUNT TOWARD DAILY CALORIES. This change completely eliminated by hunger pains that I would get in the evening and late at night. My body was getting lots of calories, but it was also getting them at the right times to 1) provide optimal energy for training and recovery and 2) promote fat utilization for energy stores. This second facet is what helped me increase my endurance a lot this year and also promoted weight loss since I was burning a lot of fat for energy.

The great thing about this training plan is that it prevents you from gaining excessive offseason weight. The only calories you adjust in the offseason are the training calories…your normal daily calories remain unchanged. Some weight gain is expected as we may eat a little more at family gatherings and we aren’t burning as many calories by training, but the gain should be minimal. Trust me, I still have my weakness for pizza, but now I can eat like crap once or twice a week and still lose weight.

Where I’ve noticed this change the most is in my running. I’m running faster this year, but that is mostly due to my training. Where the weight plays the biggest role is not speed, but endurance. I’m able to run much further without getting as tired, or worse yet, injured. Allowing me to run 40-50 mile weeks consistently without injury was a big reason for my improvement this year (which my times still aren’t great, but it’s a step in the right direction for me).
2007-12-29 12:44 PM

User image

Expert
NW Suburbs, Illinois

Angelo - I didn't realize your race was so close.  I think your best plan would be to follow one of the BT training plans.  The 13 week sprint plan would work great.   Just pick it up in week 3 or wherever you are suppose to be based on the schedule.  I would add your weight lifting in there.  It is usually better to lift weights after your workout.  Your muscles will be nice and warm that way.  As opposed to fatiguing them before yor training.

If that plan seems to easy, or doesn't fit your schedule, modify it accordingly...but keep the general structure b/c all the BT plans have recovery, taper, builds built right into them.

I will continue to watch your log, as well as everyone else in the group.

2007-12-30 4:34 PM

User image

Expert
NW Suburbs, Illinois

Sarah- good input on nutrition.  Since we have so many people doing the Oly and HIM distance, nutrition is very important during a race. 

My typical strategy is to live off what they have at the course, but I practice with it.  Its easiest to practice on your long runs/rides and/or bricks.  Depending on your size, the rule of thumb is 250-300 calories per hour.  You really have to do a "sweat test" to figure out how much fluid you need per hour.  For me 250 calories and around 24 oz of water per hour seems to work well.  Of course, this depends on the weather, too.  As it gets hotter (and more humid), the hydration efforts go up.

So in an HIM, I shoot for 250 cals per hour.  I like something solid, so I have a cliff bar once my HR comes down from the swim.  Then I use gels and water throughout the race.  I use egels since they have 150 cals and extra sodium.  Sodium input/output is another deal that has to be figured out, too.  As it gets hotter, I supplement with endurolytes (salt tabs).  I also use Gatorade Endurance and usually alternate that with water.  The good thing about GE is that it gives you 50 cals per 8 oz, which helps with your calorie intake, too.  And it has 200mg of sodium.

The thing about nutrition is that it is VERY personal.  You need to figure out what works for you through practice, however, you can get a good starting point from the rules of thumbs (250-300 cals and 24 oz of water).

Also, it looks like most of us are weekday loggers.  Which is OK, with me, too, as I usually only stop in to log my workouts on the weekends.

2008-01-02 11:10 AM

User image

Scott -

Can you expand on the "sweat test". I am guessing that you weigh yourself before a long workout, and you weigh yourself after. Difference in lbs. divided by the workout time?

How long after the workout do you wait to weigh yourself?

Also, I have a HRM with little idea on how to use the benefits of it. What experiences do you have with them? I keep seeing Zone 1, 2, 3, etc, without really knowing what that does and the importance to each zone. Maybe others in the group have information they can share too.
2008-01-02 12:09 PM

User image

Veteran
This week I ran some speed intervals with the help of coaching I downloaded from iTunes and LOVED it. It's "Kara Goucher's Endurance Boost" and she coached me throughout the run with some great inspiration and running tips, the music changed tempo with the run segment, it helped me to go farther and faster than I have been on my own. There are other similar workouts from Lance Armstrong and Serena Williams - you can choose your favorite.

Today I had Yoga with a new instructor who woke up some new muscles for me - ouch.

How's everyone else doing?

Sarah

2008-01-02 1:40 PM
in reply to: #1128259

User image

Extreme Veteran
Denver
I'm feeling great physicaly and getting there mentaly. I was stressing a little over my lack of swimming ability but after talking to a masters coach that will give me a few 1 on 1 sessions I feel like I should be very ready for my 1st event in march.

Probably going to cut another 10 pounds or so by March as well.....the lighter I am the faster I should be able to Bike and run, just don't want to lose any muscle mass which shouldn't be a problem if I'm in the gym 3 times a week.

I never had any idea of what a tight knit group triathletes are. Just in the last few weeks that I have been using this site I have spoken to dozens of people who are willing to help and advise as well as meet at events and party with....it's a very nice feeling. It's easy to see why people get addicted to this sport and I haven't even raced yet.

Angelo
2008-01-02 1:40 PM

User image

Regular
Los Angeles
I just finished doing hills for 20 Miles, and I am off to my swim class right now. Did my Barry's Bootcamp this morning (1 hour of crazy sprints combined with lots and lots of reps of dumbbells or push-ups...)...

Feeling like 2008 might have something to offer!

2008-01-02 5:03 PM

User image

Veteran
Wow Mikkel, you must workout all day!!

Angelo, I agree with how nice and helpful everyone in triathlon is. In my race last year nearly everyone who passed me on the bike (a few folks) or run (lots of folks) offered words of encouragement as they went by. I just smiled and thought "I can swim faster than you."

I hooked up with a local group for some open water swim practice prior to racing. Doing that alone is a little unnerving to me and asking someone to just sit and watch seems like a bore for them. It was a huge help. I got all kinds of tips and tricks for putting on wet suits and swim caps, lots of encouragement to do a 2nd OWS because it's common for the first to be a disaster, what to expect on race day, and the leader even sacrificed the quality of his own workout to hold last position and make sure everyone else was okay. I hope you can find a similar group to practice with.

Sarah
2008-01-02 6:24 PM

User image

Expert
NW Suburbs, Illinois

ajotto - you got it.  You will find some people sweat more than others.  So, its usually a good test to do when its warmer, but will still work.  If you go out for an hour (or a half hour or two) just weigh yourself (naked) before you go out.  Then if you don't take in any fluids and you weigh 2 lbs less after your run/bike, you typically lose about 2 lbs to sweat for every hour.  You can do the test while taking in liquids, as well.  If you take in 16 oz during your run, and weigh two pounds less, then you sweat 3 lbs per hour.  I am a heavy sweater, so that is why I use gatorade endurance.  Endurance has 200mg of sodium, which is a nutrient you lose in your sweat and need to replace.  Its a good test.  Not exact, but puts you in the ball park.

I also agree with triathletes as giving and caring people overall.  Wait until your first race....they are incredible.  In my first race, I had a flat BEFORE the race and had no idea how to change it and I didn't have a spare.  I had a guy give me a spare and show me how to change it w/ only 20 minutes until the start.  He took the $10 I offered him for his tube and services, but only b/c I made him.  And I hear stories like that all the time.  You see people who forget goggles or something else and there is always someone with a spare willing to loan you.  Its a great, great community.

I was out today, but will be around the rest of the week.  It sounds like everyone is hitting the new year running!  Feel free to post here with your workouts, etc., to keep everyone motivated.

Also, I have a question for y'all?

1) What did you get for Xmas (either tri-related or not) that you loved
2) What did you want (this one needs to be tri related) for Xmas, that you didn't get or think you want before the next tri season.

I will respond with mine after some of your responses.

2008-01-02 8:58 PM

User image

Santa said i was a good boy:

1. Performance Neoprene cycling booties
2. Performance cool weather cycling tights
3. Performance winter cycling jacket (I'm returning for something a little more useful for Fall/Spring rides)
4. Adidas climacool workout shirt

I got a lot of other stuff related to other hobbies like golf clubs, books and clothes. Good stuff, but the best was enjoying Christmas through my kid's eyes. Too cool.

Things that Santa forgot:

1. Bike Pump

2008-01-02 10:25 PM

User image

Regular
Los Angeles
Santa did not really support my tri-desires. At all. So I had to do some shopping myself...

Bought a 2XU Winter Biking Jacket and a Zoot long sleeved Jersey. And some toe warmers...
2008-01-03 7:28 AM
in reply to: #1129344

User image

Extreme Veteran
Denver
It was a big X-mas for me for tri stuff. (Of course in this case I was playing santa for myself but that's OK right)

1) Vilano aluminum frame road bike (trying to get it on the road today)
2) clip style pedals, cleats and shoes
3) waterproof athletic watch with multiple timing and lap functions.

I didn't get a wetsuit but hope to have one by my first race in March

2008-01-03 10:25 AM

User image

Expert
NW Suburbs, Illinois

ajotto - to answer your 2nd question about HR and training zones.  Joe Friel's Triathlon Training Bible does a great job of explaining it, but so does this thread (which is free) right from BT:

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=25733&start=1

Its a ton of information, but its very good.  Mike Ricci used to be one of the coaches on this site and is very knowledgeable.  He has a very good website with a ton of information on this topic and others, which I would also recommend downloading or reading when you get a chance. 

www.D3Multisport.com

Bottom line is that once you are in pretty good shape, you should do an LTHR test.  Finding an 8K or 10K race for the run is the easiest way to do this, but you can also do the test that Mike Ricci explains in the thread.  Basically, 30' all out run, hit the lap button after 10' and the avg. HR in the last 20' is your LTHR.  Its a tough test, but works out pretty well.  From your LTHR (the HR where your body produces more lactic acid and starts burning sugar, instead of fat), you can figure out your zones.  I believe there is a calculator on the Ricci site.  If not, ping me and I will find mine and upload to the thread here. 

Most of your training should be in Z1/Z2.  This builds the aerobic engine.  And it burns fat.  We have a huge supply of fat (and that goes for everyone) that is available for energy.  Sugar will only last so long.

Hope that helps.

2008-01-03 11:50 AM
in reply to: #1129344

New user

I got some pretty nice stuff, a lot of good cycling stuff.

Trek 2.3 Road Bike
Sidi Road Shoes and Shimano-105 pedals
Blackburn Floor Pump
Cycleops Fluid 2 Trainer
Suunto T6 HRM + foot pod

Oh, and I did buy most of these for myself.. just in the general xmas period. My parents chipped in for some of the bike though.

I still need to get cycling clothing (bib-shorts etc) and a wetsuit, jammer for swimming.
2008-01-04 2:57 PM

User image

Expert
NW Suburbs, Illinois

I got some pretty nice stuff, too.

- Speedo swim jammers
- Giro Aero Helmet
- Bike trainer tire

I think I am set in the triathlon department, but i am sure I will come up with something.  Maybe a new saddle? 

2008-01-04 3:17 PM

User image

Veteran
Is a George Forman Grill tri-gear? I think so!
And maybe also the speed rope from my daughter.

Santa forgot about the orange and black trisuit that would look great on my bike, that I really, really wanted last year, but my bargain shopping instincts would not allow me to purchase it, so when I found it on clearance and emailed it to Santa in October with a message to hurry before my size was gone it was too early in the year to match with Santa's habit of last-minute shopping and was long forgotten by the time the big man put his suit on, but I'm okay, sad, but okay.

Sodium question . . . How much is too much? I realize sodium affects weight loss, which I desire, but we also need to replace some of our salty sweat. A couple of my favorite recovery snacks have soaring sodium numbers.
V8 = 480 mg sodium, 430 mg potassium
Turkey Pepperoni = 640 mg sodium, 9 g protein
Gatorade (for comparison) = 160 mg sodium, 50 mg potassium per 12 oz.
If I drink water during workouts are these numbers still too high?

Sarah
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Schmize's Group - FULL Rss Feed  

of 8