BT Development Mentor Program Archives » triOK's group - The best group - Closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 52

2007-12-31 5:29 PM
in reply to: #1108061

User image

Eastern PA
Subject: RE: triOK's group - The best group - OPEN
Hey! Can I join this group? Newbie looking to do my first sprint tri summer 08. I am an engineer looking to do a tri and you are a triathlete looking to be an engineer! Sounds like a match. I am 46 and married with 2 kids. Former bike racer (70's), can swim a bit, but new to running. Thanks!

2008-01-01 9:11 AM

User image

New user

Dear Robyn,

I would like to join your group if it's still open!

I am a beginner, never did any races. I always (at least since I can remember which means probably within the past 10 years) wanted to complete a triathlon, at least an Olympic one. I started off last year with a 20 weeks (2-3x balanced) Olympic training plan, overdid it with running and got lateral knee pain. Since 2 months I do some weights using a plan I pulled off the internet for swimmers (see http://swimming.about.com/cs/drylandexercise/a/swim_weight.htm). I still have some problems with me knee, however would like to pursue my initial goals, responsibly of course. I hope I will get the knee issue sorted soon. I kept recording me exercises in the training log, became lazy in the past months though when I started the weights. As part of my New Year Resolution, I will recommence that (as of tomorrow when I ate all those chips (or crisps how they are called here in Britain ) Besides the gym, I am going more or less frequently to the University swimming club (I am a student in neuroscience), and cycle on an exercise bike as I cannot make up my mind of buying a proper cycle

I haven't foreseen any particular events for 2008, though would like to finish some 10ks at least. In addition, I would like to do a organized trip crossing the French/Swiss Alps to the Mediterranean sea.

I hope that through this mentoring program, I become even more motivated than I am already , and gain solutions to problems in a supporting and spurring environment from people being in a similar position as I am.

Thanks in advance for putting me on the list.

Cheers,

dickey_moe alias Torsten
2008-01-01 10:53 AM

User image

Expert
Troy, MI
I hope you have room for one more.

I am a 43 year old who likes to run but got talked into a cycling team. The team requires 5 races for the season. I don't like to bike as much as run and swim so I chose the tri to be my race category. I ran the Detroit Marathon in 2006. By the way, WELCOME to MICHIGAN!!!

I need all the help I can get. I haven't trained much since last January and am restarting with a 22 week plan tomorrow. My gym membership expired so tomorrow sign up is half price and that way I have access to a pool.

The parts that make me nervous is not the physical activity but the transitions, clothing for women, and fixing any part of my bike. Probably why I love running-my shoes don't get flats.

I look forward to learning whatever I can. This will be a great year!
2008-01-01 10:55 AM

Hi

I would love to join the group if there is still space available.

I'm a 51 year old grade 4 teacher from Ontario Canada. I ran a marathon 7 years ago and many half marathons since then. In the past few years I have sustained knee and hip injuries that have had a negative impact on my training and motivation! My dream has always been to complete a tri., although I don't swim much and probably have poor technique.

Here's to a great start to the new year!

Jeanie

2008-01-01 11:12 AM

Veteran
Hi Robyn,

If this group is still open, i would really like to join!

My name is Sarah and I am a 19 year old college student in the Northeast. I completed my first sprint triathlon last season, and this season is going to be big! Im training for Musselman 70.3. I have a lot of questions and excitement!

thanks!

-Sarah
2008-01-01 11:32 AM
in reply to: #1125931

User image

Master
Dothan, Al

Hope there is room for one more!

The short story....

I am 40 year old, Captian, Firefighter / Paramdic in Southeast Alabama. I also work part time as a Paramedic in a smaller city called Enterprise Alabama. A long time ago I was a United States Coast Guard, Aviation Survivalman / rescue Swimmer. I am married and my beautiful bride is an E/R Nurse.  I have a son who will be two next month. (Yea, we waited a little late Ha Ha.)

As far as Tri exerience I have none, zilch, zero. I have ran a few Five and Ten K races, the last of which I broke my foot. It was during my down time that I decided to do a Tri. I am on my first week of the BT's 13 week Sprint training  program. My Bike so far has been the stationary bike in the gym, but hopefully I will be going Thursday to get my own. I am sure I will have a ton of questions, but right now I don't know enough to even know what questions to ask.

Oh yea, My first Tri will be April 19th in Panama City Beach, Fl.

2008-01-01 12:59 PM
in reply to: #1122125

User image

Denver,CO
Ok Here is the Bio.
HISTORY: I was active in my younger years. But haven't done much lately.
I have watched the Ironman over the years and gave those people respect. My sis-in-law and I both turn 50 this year and we want to do a sprint Triathlon this year. What better time then now to get in shape. I just finished reading "The Slow Fat Triathlete" What a funny book. But it got me motivated to start now.

TRAINING: I just signed up with a Tri group in my area for help with swimming. I snorkel and swam as a kid but not latley. I have two good friends that bike and race. So they are training me on the bike. Like shifting. When to do it and when not. Oh yea and hills. I have downloaded some training plans but haven't put them into place yet.

FAMILY: I am single with 3 dogs, Bearded Collies. I am showing 4 right now when show season opens up in Feb.. So I have to split my training with dog training and Tri training. And Dog Showing and Tri races. This may get tricky.

RACES: I plan on doing the my first one in July with my sis-in law in Seattle. She hasn't given me dates. Then I was working on the Danskin in July in Denver, and possibly the Tri for the Cure in August in Denver.
My two bike coaches want to do a relay team in June. I get the swimming part. That one is in Boulder. One will do the bike and the other the running.

So it should be a great year. My Goal is to be able to do an Oly by 2010. Maybe 2009 if I can get in shape this year.

Edited by shanaspree 2008-01-01 1:00 PM
2008-01-01 1:16 PM

Albuquerque, NM
Hi. My name is Julia. I am new to tri's and would like to join this group. I am a brand new newbie...have never trained or competed. I am a 43 year old divorced-single mom. I've also been through a lot of transitions in my life over the past few years. I am very inspired by women triathletes, especially my younger sister, who has completed two ironman competitions. I enjoy swimming and cycling. Running has always been a problem for me, as I develop all kinds of knee, shin, and ankle pains. I have been following a light training regimen since Thanksgiving and have been doing walk/runs according to the Jeff Galloway plan for injury free running. So far so good.

I live in New Mexico, where I am lucky enough to have access to mountains and sunshine, even though the winters do get cold here, at altitude. I am currently skiing as much as my schedule and responsibilities will allow and working that into my training. I grew up in NY and will be back there to do 2 races with my sister - MidHudson Valley sprint tri on July 13th, and Mighty Hamptons Olympic distance on September 14th.

I am really thrilled to find a woman mentor.

Other factoids about me: kids are 5 year old daughter and 9 year old son. I have a partner who lives with us, who has also done some tri's years ago. We also have a cat, hamster, corn snake, fresh water fish, and South American horned frog. I like to make jewelry and knit. I am a part-time pediatrician. Our home is bilingual American Sign Language and spoken English.

2008-01-01 1:22 PM
in reply to: #1126151

Albuquerque, NM
Hey Shanaspree...What is the Boulder tri that you are planning to do? I am looking for something "local".

Mama J
(Julia)
2008-01-01 2:51 PM
in reply to: #1126195

User image

Denver,CO
We are looking into the 5430 Sprint Triathlon June 15 in Boulder. The web page is: http://www.5430sports.com/5430sprint.htm. It looks like fun.
2008-01-01 4:03 PM

User image

Los Angeles
I hope there is room for even one more.

My bio:

I was a competitive swimmer growing up (started when I was 6 and retired after college at 23). Since then, I have swam sporadically, but mostly focused on yoga. As a favor for a work colleague, I swam on a relay team in the Malibu triathlon when their swimmer dropped out. It was fun quickly getting back in shape for that, but I felt like a wuss for being done after the swim. I wanted to be one of the people that did the whole triathlon, not just a leg. I just signed up for my first triathlon - a sprint triathlon in Napa, CA the first weekend in May.

Goals:

I just want to complete a couple of sprints this year and have fun doing so! I know once I get started, my competitive nature will kick in, but I am trying to just enjoy it and get back in shape.

Also, I am excited to meet new people. When I look back on my swimming career, the thing I miss most is the fun I had at workouts and swim meets with my teammates and fellow competitors. I would love to get that back in my life.

I know I have the swimming part down; I really need help with the biking and running. I have never enjoyed running, and I really want to learn how to break through that mental barrier and enjoy it.

Thanks and I look forward to getting to know everyone in the group.

2008-01-01 4:44 PM

New user

Norcross, GA
Hi Robyn,
I'm fairly new to Triathlons and I'm looking for a group to join.

Name: Rel3427/Bob

Story: I trained with Team in Training for an Olympic distance event last year, but because of work commitments was not able to do enough swim training and did not complete the swim. I completed (barely) a sprint length event 3 weeks later. My goal this year is to complete Memphis in May plus some shorter events and to finally conquer Tugaloo in September. I am a cyclist with many metric centuries and a full century under my belt.

I joined a tri club (Peachtree Tri Club, featured in the December Triathlete magazine) and plan on taking swim lessons to improve my techinique. I also need to make a major effort to drop 20-25 pounds before May. So I have a lot of work during the next 4-1/2 months.

Would love to join your group.

Thanks,

Bob
2008-01-01 5:51 PM

User image

Veteran
Tampa, FL
It seems like everyone wants to be in this group. Well, if there is still room I would love to be a part of it, I know I'm going to need some accountability to reach my goal of completing a sprint triathlon this year. My husband is thinking about joining me in this endeavor, but he's still not sure yet. A little background on me, I'm a 24 year old elementary school teacher and have been married for almost two years. We have two fur-babies and hopefully will try for our first baby this year, but first I want to complete my triathlon goal. My husband was an avid mountain biker throughout high school and still loves it, so luckily I have some help with the biking part of the goal, but swimming and running will be a challenge to excel at. I guess that's a little about me, happy new year and good luck to all!
2008-01-01 6:57 PM

User image

Veteran
Hey Robin,

I'll throw my name in the mix as well to join this group although it appears that there are quite a few ahead of me. Let me know how many you are limiting the group to and if I'm in I'll post my background info.

Thanks

Alan
2008-01-01 10:10 PM

New user

Castle Rock, CO
Robin - you have already inspired me just reading all of your activities! Congrats on the move and career change! I so love the midwest (I'm originally from the Chicago NW burbs!).

Last year was my first tri. I ran the Denver Danskin Tri and will again this year. I'm so glad I did it last year. I totally undertrained and blew off caring for my health. Not what I intended in the beginning but I think I just scared myself by actually committing to a tri.

This year it's a different story. I already know I can do the sprint distance so this year is about improving my health and my tri-times! In addition I am also signed up for a 50 mile ride (Elephant Rock) here in Castle Rock, CO, and I'm looking at an olympic distance come August...

I have an entirely different approach to the swim this year -- I bought a comprehensive Triathalon training guide and already I see a difference from last year where I just got in the pool and tried to do some laps.

Weight is still an issue, but it's getting better! I have moved to a vegetarian lifestyle and the weight is steadily coming off and I feel so much better.

Oh, I'm married, 2 kids, 1 dog (pug) and as I said, we live in Castle Rock, CO. I'm a legal secretary at a major law firm here and have really supportive work friends/bosses who cheer me on in my tri-endeavors!

I'll be using my personal blog to record the changes I'll be making this year...www.getkinetic.typepad.com.

If you'll have me, I'd LOVE to join your mentoring group...I can use all the support I can get!

~ Shay
2008-01-01 10:18 PM

User image

Champion
Rochester Hills, Michigan
Gold member

On behalf of Robyn, I'm gonna announce this group as *CLOSED*. At this point, I think there might be 15+ folks that have their name in the hat, and Robyn's skiing with limited access to the site...so she might not be able to say 'when'.

If she wants when she returns, she can reopen it...

2008-01-02 12:32 AM

User image

Master
Vista, CA
Is there room? I'm a first-timer to tri's. I've been wanting to do one for a couple of years. Of course, starting with a sprint and I'll be happy to accomplish that. I've been swimming and some running, but will need to add biking.

I'd love to have some support. I'm 47, female, married, one son (12), one cat, one dog and live in So. Cal. so I can train year 'round. :-)

Thanks,

Lynn
2008-01-02 8:29 AM

New user

This group seems pretty full.. i would love to join if there is room... very much new to beginnertri.. very much going from couch to sprint.. is there room for one more?

zack
2008-01-02 10:13 AM

User image

Veteran
San Antonio
Hi Everyone!

I was away from the computer for a few days but am glad that I was welcome to the group earlier this week.

login: denny.l aka lesley

My bio:

I'm 45 widowed (6 years ago) with a 16 year old son. I work with technology, students and teachers in a public school. A coworker encouraged me to do a sprint a year ago last October and I chickened out. The open water swim terrified me. She asked me again in February and I started training for the Danskin tri in Austin last June. Roger Soler Sports in San Antonio sponsored a mini women's last May and I completed that and had a blast. I concentrated on my swimming and went from barely able to swim 50 meters to feeling relaxed and comfortable swimming 750m in the pool. The open water swim was pretty scary. I felt great at the end of the Danskin and wasn't even sore the next day.

I've been sporadic on training since the summer and cycled with coworkers 2x per week until the time change made it too dark to cycle without lights. I took swimming lessons with my son for 8 weeks but I don't feel like the group lessons really helped that much. I was going to start a training program in November but had minor surgery the week before Thanksgiving. I'm now ready to get started!

I'm not familiar with the challenges and would appreciate some info on that.

I'm planning to do the Texas Tri Festival Sprint in Galveston at the end of March, the Siren's mini in May (Roger Soler's ) in San Antonio in May, the Danskin in Austin in June and an Olympic in October.

I live about 25 miles west of San Antonio so I do a lot of my training alone. I hope that being in a group will give me some much needed encouragement.

Cheers and Happy New Year!

Lesley

2008-01-02 1:29 PM

User image

Expert
Findlay, OH
Delete missed a post closing the group!!!

Hello,

This group is already very active, Please let me know if there is any room for another person.
I will post BIO if you have room.

David

Edited by razorxp 2008-01-02 1:30 PM
2008-01-02 3:52 PM

User image

Regular
Bristol, CT

Hi Robyn, if there is room for one more count me in.  Just shoot me a message letting me know if I'm in, and I'll give you more details about some 2008 goals.  In a nutshell, I've been running for 20 years fairly competitively (5K's to marathons), and started doing tri's a few years ago (Sprints to the '07 IMLP).  I haven't mapped anything out for 2008 other than a winter marathon in February in New York.  Thanks

Jay

2008-01-02 6:54 PM

User image

Subject: RE: triOK's group - The best group - Closed

Yes.. okay... the group is closed now.  Everyone that has posted to THIS point is in!  I am still a little MIA for the next few days since I am in the process of MOVING (I hate moving) to Michigan from Oklahoma.  After that, I will have nothing but time for everyone.

Ok... so... everyone post bios and please include your real name.. we're all friends now.

Please also include what your goals are for the season, what races you are planning on doing and how your training is going so far.

2008-01-02 7:57 PM
in reply to: #1129421

Veteran
Hello Everyone!

My name is Sarah, and I am a 19 year old college student in the crowded northeast. I'm currently living at home going to community college for a semester for treatment after shoulder surgery went wrong about a year ago (I still can swim...thus participate and train for tri's!). I live with both parents, an ankle biter, and my older brother is living on his own but occasionally stops in. I work at a YMCA teaching swim lesson and lifeguarding a few days a week. In spare time I enjoy hanging out with my friends and boyfriend who I've been with for several years.

I completed my first sprint triathlon at the end of last season, and got hooked. This season my goal race is to complete the musselman half ironman. I plan to participate in a few sprint and olympic distance tri's leading up to and following musselman.

I'm coming off the off season now. This week I'm getting back on my eat-a-lot-of-balanced-whole-foods plan, re-introducing my body to longer periods of exercise, and getting into a sleep pattern. I will start my actual training schedule monday the 7th so that it will end perfectly before my goal race!

I'm very excited and have a lot of questions! Thanks to Robyn and everyone ahead of time!

~Sarah
2008-01-02 10:14 PM
in reply to: #1129421

User image

Master
Dothan, Al
triOK - 2008-01-02 6:54 PM

Yes.. okay... the group is closed now.  Everyone that has posted to THIS point is in!  I am still a little MIA for the next few days since I am in the process of MOVING (I hate moving) to Michigan from Oklahoma.  After that, I will have nothing but time for everyone.

Ok... so... everyone post bios and please include your real name.. we're all friends now.

Please also include what your goals are for the season, what races you are planning on doing and how your training is going so far.

O.K. I am 40 years old, and my name is Rueben. I am a Firefighter /  Paramedic ( Captian) and also work a partime job as a Paramedic.  My wife is an E/R Nurse so our home schedule is a little crazy. We also have a son who will be two next month, and he is a Daddy's Boy! My work schedule goes something like this. Work 24 hours at the FD, then off for 12. Work 12 at the part time job and then off for 24. Then back at the FD. I would put my fitness level at a 4 on a 1-10 scale. I am a former Coast Guard Rescue Swimmer, so I think I am a strong swimmer...however I do not think I am an efficient swimmer. ( I work hard but not smart.)

Training: I am following the BT 13`week Sprint Tri Plan. Still in week 1.

Race Goals: I want to Race these four Sprint Tri's this year.  http://www.emeraldcoastevents.org/

Good luck with the move... ( I hate moving with true passion!!!)

Edited by ditchdoc 2008-01-02 10:17 PM
2008-01-03 8:26 AM

User image

Veteran
More info. about me:

My name is Elizabeth, I live in Scottsdale, AZ, I am 43, the mother of two fabulous little ones ages 5 and 7. Racing for me is really about health and finding time for myself. I am a late bloomer, very slow, but probably one of the happiest folks out there. I just finished the Iron Girl 5K and it was the best feeling. I shaved 4 min. off of my time but still came in towards the back of the pack (700/1200). As I mentioned earlier... my goal is to do a sprint tri for the cure in April. I would also like to do the Nike Women's half marathon in SF this fall.

The roadblocks for me are weight that needs to come off and time to train. I have a demanding corporate job as well as my favorite role...that of mother. I adopted both of my girls as a single woman... so I can't just get up and run outside at 5am. Leaving me with the treadmill most days. I did join a CO2 running group at Lifetime Fitness and love it. I want to find balance with work, training and family... family being the most important. Things I want to overcome are shame about being so slow, my body, etc. I want to feel as though I belong at a race even though I may not fit the norm.

I am not sure where to really start with my training as I am a new runner, an old strong swimmer and still need to get a bike to call myself a rider. I am looking forward to this group as I think a circle of support is essential to keep going.

Robyn... good luck with your move! The actual move may be a pain...but once you are on the other side... hopefully all the good reasons that you decided to move will bloom.

Elizabeth
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » triOK's group - The best group - Closed Rss Feed  

of 52