BT Development Mentor Program Archives » light_sabe_r's group is CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 23

2008-06-18 5:42 PM
in reply to: #1473254

User image

Veteran
Newnan, GA
Subject: RE: light_sabe_r's group is CLOSED
AndriaLL - 2008-06-18 12:25 AM

Hi everyone!  Good news here!  My mom has a form of pancreatic cancer that is quite rare and she will have 1 to 3 years to live!!!  Okay, not really "good" news, but it's much better than the 3-6 months we were expecting.  I plan to book our trip to London and Paris tomorrow!

Enjoy every day!! Also, congrats on your race!

2008-06-19 7:21 PM
in reply to: #1349986

User image

Extreme Veteran
Brisbane QLD

hi everybody.  Sorry I haven't been around much... DAMN WORK. 

I will be more diligent next week I promise.    

2008-06-21 9:39 PM
in reply to: #1477695

User image

Slower Than You
Cracklantaburbs
I gotta quit all this running. I got a rep to keep up...

Maddy, did you get to see The Black Keys like I told you? You better have if you know what's good for you. I should be seeing them this fall at the Austin City Limits Festival.
2008-06-22 6:50 AM

I'm back, folks, from another disastrous race. Feel free to read my amusing race report.
2008-06-22 12:06 PM
in reply to: #1480545

User image

Master
Lafayette, IN

bcart1991 - 2008-06-21 10:39 PM I gotta quit all this running. I got a rep to keep up... Maddy, did you get to see The Black Keys like I told you? You better have if you know what's good for you. I should be seeing them this fall at the Austin City Limits Festival.

Ohhh....I dig The Black Keys.  Saw them at a festival in Indianapolis a few years back, round about when thickfreakness came out.  Good stuff.

2008-06-25 7:18 PM
in reply to: #1481063

User image

Slower Than You
Cracklantaburbs
I have never met a bottom bracket that took TWO PEOPLE to get off the bike. Ugh.

However, I have nice shiny FSA carbon cranks on the yellow roadie now!

2008-06-26 12:21 PM
in reply to: #1490536

User image

Slower Than You
Cracklantaburbs
Life changes today.

Filed the divorce papers. Mandatory 30-day wait, then the case gets reviewed by the judge. A week or two later, it should be finalized.

Probably going to get way too drunk tonight. Don't care, since I can walk home and I'm off this afternoon and tomorrow anyway.

Still haven't gotten a proper apology for all this, not holding my breath either.

Good times, good times.
2008-06-26 6:56 PM
in reply to: #1492129

User image

Veteran
Newnan, GA
bcart1991 - 2008-06-26 1:21 PM

Life changes today.

Filed the divorce papers. Mandatory 30-day wait, then the case gets reviewed by the judge. A week or two later, it should be finalized.

Probably going to get way too drunk tonight. Don't care, since I can walk home and I'm off this afternoon and tomorrow anyway.

Still haven't gotten a proper apology for all this, not holding my breath either.

Good times, good times.

WOAH!! I must not have been enough attention to your earlier blogs -- I'm so sorry for all that you're going through. I hope you have counsel and the process goes smoothly.
2008-06-26 10:26 PM
in reply to: #1493278

User image

Slower Than You
Cracklantaburbs
Yeah, it's going as smoothly as I could have hoped.

Though I didn't get drunk enough tonight, only 4 Jim Beam & Spritesand a small dinner. Obviously not enough.

Funny, she was a half-block away at another restaurant while I was at dinner.
2008-06-27 10:41 AM

Hey folks, sorry I've been MIA! Just busy with work and finding new roommates - but I think I have that nailed down! Also deciding how I want to decorate Starting the Oly training plan and the mary training plan - yikes!
2008-06-27 3:01 PM
in reply to: #1494340

User image

Master
Lafayette, IN
Just curious - are you simply replacing the run training from an Oly plan with the run training from a Marathon plan?  Are you going to be adding extra run sessions?  I think I've talked myself into a half-mary and realize that the run schedule for the Oly plan that I'm following probably isn't going to be enough to get me into appropriate running shape.  I want to incorporate the half-mary training but just wanted to see how other folks go about it. 

2008-06-27 3:05 PM
in reply to: #1495135

esc - 2008-06-27 4:01 PM Just curious - are you simply replacing the run training from an Oly plan with the run training from a Marathon plan?  Are you going to be adding extra run sessions?  I think I've talked myself into a half-mary and realize that the run schedule for the Oly plan that I'm following probably isn't going to be enough to get me into appropriate running shape.  I want to incorporate the half-mary training but just wanted to see how other folks go about it. 

My Oly plan has 3 runs a week (two during the week and one on the weekend) and a rest day nearly every Friday. The mary plan has 3 weekday runs and a long run on the weekends. So I am swapping the rest day for the last weekday run, which is a lower distance (and will keep it as an easy run) and putting the long run on the weekend (on Sundays) where the Oly has me running. And yes, I am simply following the mary plan mileage instead of the Oly plan minutes.

It actually tracks out fairly well, for the most part. Only one snafu where I have the actual Oly the same weekend I'm supposed to do a 16 miler - may have to shuffle some stuff a bit.

Edited by wurkit_gurl 2008-06-27 3:06 PM
2008-06-27 7:57 PM
in reply to: #1495161

User image

Master
Lafayette, IN
Thanks for the info.  Now I'm off to find a suitable training plan!
2008-06-28 9:17 PM

User image

Veteran
Newnan, GA
I've decided on a 1/2 mary for the end of Nov - don't quite know where to start as far as a training plan. Any suggestions? Not a $ member her on BT -- are the plans and extra features worth it? Have done a couple sprints and an Oly - but haven't used a set training plan, followed a few general training schedules from some books.
2008-06-29 4:32 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Glasgow, UK
I paid for access to the training plans and additional stuff but the exchange rate is so good for me at the moment that it's so cheap I would say it's worth it just for the additional elements of the training plans.

Apologies for the lack of posting. I went to San Diego for a week and then since I've been back I've been mega busy and ill

I'm almost back on form now and managed to get to the spin class today and I'm really pleased to be back into it. The problem is that next week I go on holiday - yet more lack of exercise - boo! On the up side I'm on a live aboard for a week diving in Scapa Flow in Orkney and I'll be diving every day and running in the mornings when I can.
How's everyone getting on here?
2008-06-30 6:16 AM
in reply to: #1496752

swise - 2008-06-28 10:17 PM I've decided on a 1/2 mary for the end of Nov - don't quite know where to start as far as a training plan. Any suggestions? Not a $ member her on BT -- are the plans and extra features worth it? Have done a couple sprints and an Oly - but haven't used a set training plan, followed a few general training schedules from some books.

Are you looking for purely a half-mary plan? If there isn't a free one on BT, go to HalHigdon.com - he is highly recommended by lots of runners (b/c he's kind of a big deal in running), and I used his 10-Miler plan (all of which are free on the website) for a race I did in April. As I mentioned, I'm using one of his plans for the marathon. I will probably kill myself with all the training for both the Oly and the mary, but we will see. Week 2 is down and I'm still standing.

Otherwise, there are plans on BT that are run-focused - not sure which of them are free, though.

Edited by wurkit_gurl 2008-06-30 6:16 AM

2008-06-30 12:20 PM

User image

Colorado
Hello everyone.  I hope you're all well.  I am wondering whatever happened to our leader.  Her training log has been wiped clean.  Is she sick? 
2008-06-30 8:10 PM
in reply to: #1498176

User image

Veteran
Newnan, GA
wurkit_gurl - 2008-06-30 7:16 AM

swise - 2008-06-28 10:17 PM I've decided on a 1/2 mary for the end of Nov - don't quite know where to start as far as a training plan. Any suggestions? Not a $ member her on BT -- are the plans and extra features worth it? Have done a couple sprints and an Oly - but haven't used a set training plan, followed a few general training schedules from some books.

Are you looking for purely a half-mary plan? If there isn't a free one on BT, go to HalHigdon.com - he is highly recommended by lots of runners (b/c he's kind of a big deal in running), and I used his 10-Miler plan (all of which are free on the website) for a race I did in April. As I mentioned, I'm using one of his plans for the marathon. I will probably kill myself with all the training for both the Oly and the mary, but we will see. Week 2 is down and I'm still standing.

Otherwise, there are plans on BT that are run-focused - not sure which of them are free, though.

So are you following two separate training plans at the same time?? How many hours a week are you doing?? As a full time working mom of two I am doing good to get in an a hour or two a day (and that usually comes at 5 am). I will definitely check out the web-site - THANKS! I know that I am going to have to buckle down and spend money on atleast the silver membership - my inner cheapscate can't bring myself to do it yet.
2008-06-30 8:20 PM
in reply to: #1500510

swise - 2008-06-30 9:10 PM So are you following two separate training plans at the same time?? How many hours a week are you doing?? As a full time working mom of two I am doing good to get in an a hour or two a day (and that usually comes at 5 am). I will definitely check out the web-site - THANKS! I know that I am going to have to buckle down and spend money on atleast the silver membership - my inner cheapscate can't bring myself to do it yet.

Yes, I am following the silver level basic Oly 12-week plan, which is HR-based, though I haven't really figured that all out yet. And then in place of the runs on the plan, I am substituting in the Hal Higdon Novice 1 marathon plan, with the extra run on my "off" day on Fridays.

2008-07-01 6:29 AM
in reply to: #1500523

User image

Veteran
Newnan, GA
Yes, I am following the silver level basic Oly 12-week plan, which is HR-based, though I haven't really figured that all out yet. And then in place of the runs on the plan, I am substituting in the Hal Higdon Novice 1 marathon plan, with the extra run on my "off" day on Fridays.

Wow -- I looked on the Hal Higdon website and found a plan I think I'm gonna try just got to workout all the logistics. If you figure out all the HR stuff let me know -- I understand the concept but having problems with the application.
2008-07-01 3:50 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Glasgow, UK
Can anyone offer any advice on mechanisms to remind me to do my core and knee exercises prescribed by my physio. I seem to be able to do the training but often to add the exercises in at the end either takes too long afterwards or I can't do them because my knees hurt. Trouble is I don't seem to get them done at the end of the day when I always promise myself that I will. I find this the hardest part of all the training - it's not difficuly to do just difficult to remember to do/find the time to do.

2008-07-01 3:54 PM
in reply to: #1502476

Kate_r - 2008-07-01 4:50 PM Can anyone offer any advice on mechanisms to remind me to do my core and knee exercises prescribed by my physio. I seem to be able to do the training but often to add the exercises in at the end either takes too long afterwards or I can't do them because my knees hurt. Trouble is I don't seem to get them done at the end of the day when I always promise myself that I will. I find this the hardest part of all the training - it's not difficuly to do just difficult to remember to do/find the time to do.

For your core - do them first thing in the morning. Or if you are watching TV in the evening, do them during commercial breaks. When did your PT say you have to do the knee exercises? I only ask because if it included stretching or something that needed to be done post-run, that would make a difference. If not - same idea, get up and do them first time, or in the evening while you are doing something else. A sticky note on your bathroom mirror, or a note on your screensaver, etc. I also feel a sense of accomplishment by filling in the little chart on BT and watching the pink squares add up - because I am weird- so maybe you could make a little abs/stretching spreadsheet and check them off or something. Use pretty colors

2008-07-08 10:32 PM

User image

Master
Lafayette, IN

Hey group!  How's everyone's week going?  It's been kinda quiet in here so I thought I'd drop in a recommend a book that I just finished reading:  Swimming to Antartica by Lynne Cox.  Lynne is a long distance open water swimmer who has done some amazing swims.  The book is about her adventures as an open water swimmer.  Inspirational stuff - makes you want to go out and try to push yourself to reach new heights.

Anyone else read anything swim/bike/run related that you'd recommend?

2008-07-09 10:27 AM

I am currently flipping through 'First Marathons' to get myself psyched about the race - that is still 3 months away
2008-07-09 11:41 AM
in reply to: #1517441

User image

Slower Than You
Cracklantaburbs
Taking it half-easy this week. RACE SUNDAY!

I need to put in a few bike miles today if the rains hold off. Probably swim tomorrow, Friday off, tennis match Saturday, and race SUNDAY SUNDAY SUNDAY!!!

$10 admission pays for the whole seat, BUT YOU'LL ONLY NEED THE EDGE!!!

Oh, wow. Not sure where that came from. Carry on...
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » light_sabe_r's group is CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 23