BT Development Mentor Program Archives » mcgilmartin's 2013 Mentor Group~ let's get swimming! CLOSED FOR TRAINING Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 23

2013-02-28 3:18 AM
in reply to: #4638371

New user
Singapore
Subject: RE: mcgilmartin's 2013 Mentor Group~ let's get swimming! CLOSED FOR TRAINING

Hey Donald

Happy to hear your swimming is coming along nicely. I'd be happy being able to swim a continuous mile, period. Regardless of time Smile

As far as bilateral breathing is concerned, it actually worked wonders for me. I made it a point from the start to alternate breathing left/right every length (breathing every two strokes). But it was when I tried breathing every three strokes, alternating left and right, that all of a sudden things started to click. I can only assume that my body position improved and became more stable because of it. So I think it's a pretty good idea to try and get it down.

When is your first race ?

As for shoes, I second our Martin. Speedplays are very good.
I am not sure where you are planning on buying/ordering your shoes from, but there is a site that has very good deals on Diadora shoes at the moment (60%-70% off). Not sure whether I can post it on here, but PM me if you'd like the name.

2013-02-28 3:40 AM
in reply to: #4639949

New user
Singapore
Subject: RE: mcgilmartin's 2013 Mentor Group~ let's get swimming! CLOSED FOR TRAINING

oriolepwr - 2013-02-28 1:09 PM Great work!Also. Ive run several sub 4 hour marathons including NYC. That is a tough course to PR in! There are mobs of international runners that will run side by side like 5-6 wide. Its a wonderful race. Very memorable. Just tough to run to your potential there.With the 1:38. Half mary target. And your 5k time you just ran, No doubt in my mind that you can run under 3:45 for 26.2! Really well within your reach. If you train for the marathon and get your 20 milers in. Sorry for u that NYC was cancelled last year. Such a bummerr

'I've run several sub 4 hour marathons'. Now that is a statement I'd like to be able to make some day as well. Unfortunately, at the moment all I can say is 'my first marathon got cancelled' Smile

NY was a major bummer. Not really because it got cancelled - that was very understandable - but just the way it was handled. Anyway, water under the bridge.

I wish I would have finished a marathon before starting the whole triathlon challenge. Then again, I am sure I will do one at some point in preparation for an ironman distance event (big goals).

2013-02-28 7:23 AM
in reply to: #4639770

mcgilmartin - 2013-02-27 7:36 PM

Don,

They are just bulkier than road shoes.  I say Summer because I'll expect you to be fairly proficient on the bike by then.  You'll also start to get gear envy when everyone is out riding  If you are comfortable, by all means go for the MTB shoes.  I just think you'll find long-term that roadies will be a better investment.

As far as SPD vs. SPD-SL, the SL's are like the evolution of the SPD.  SPD's are great clips.  The SL's mean a little bit bigger contact space with your foot.  Try them both out and see what feels better for you.  I'm pretty sure that the standard SPD's are a little cheaper.  Most spin studios use SPD, too... something to keep in mind if you're going to spin at all.

Matt

I ended up biting the bullet and going with the speedplay frog. From what I read, they're mostly used by road bikers and sort of have the best of both worlds. If I do get gear envy in the future, I could possibly switch over to the zero, but I'll stick with these for now. Unfortunately, it's on back order until the 15th, so it's flat pedals until they make it here. Thanks for all the gear advice. You're a huge help.
2013-02-28 9:04 PM
in reply to: #4552506

User image

Master
Straight outta Compton
I think you will love the Speedplays!  Let me know what you think of them.  Get the covers, too- you'll be happy when you can walk around quietly
2013-02-28 9:12 PM
in reply to: #4641325

User image

Master
Gurnee, IL

I have speed plays  on both my road and Tri bike!  I love them.  I use the Zero stainless version.    I can't say why or whatever.  I do like that I don't have to "flip" the pedal over to clip in as can clip in from either side.   Also when I used to use "look" pedals  I could scrape the ground if pedaling on a sharp hard turn.   So had to factor that in.  When I went to speedplay  I found I could keep pedaling in many more turns than I otherwise could.     One thing is you need to keep your cleats really clean.  Or clipping in/out gets more difficult.

been using them for years and years  I forget all the reasons why.    pedal/cleat systems are largely subjective.   Whatever you feel is best for you is probably best for you!  

Edited by oriolepwr 2013-02-28 9:13 PM
2013-03-04 4:03 AM

New user
Singapore

Can anyone recommend some simple stretching exercises or a short routine?

I currently don't do any stretching at all, except for the occasional quick quads or calves exercises if my watch is slow in picking up a GPS signal.

Ideally, it would be a daily routine that takes about 10 minutes. Is this realistic ?

2013-03-06 10:09 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ogallala, Nebraska

Tonight we had our first "triathlon" of the year. It was an indoor tri that was set up as a 30 minute bike, 20 minute run and 10 minute row. We could do those in any order but we had to go from one to the next without any rest or transition time. I decided to bike, run and row so that I could set the bike up without losing any time. The bikes they had were Schwinn spinning bikes with computers or you could use the recumbant bikes. I chose the Schwinn. The total distance was what counted.

My official distances were:

Bike - 16.9 miles

Run - 2.05 miles

Row - 1 mile

Overall distance was 19.95 miles. According to the director, I crushed the top bike distance and have a pretty good lead over the rest of the field. We had the entire week to schedule the event, so its not over until Saturday at noon.

I was amazed at my biking since I had never really pushed my cadence as hard as I did today. I knew the bike was where I would get the best return on distance versus energy spent and wanted to put all my effort into the 30 minutes of biking. I kept a cadence of right around 128-130 for the 28 minutes and at the 2 minute warning pushed it even harder. I basically redlined my heart rate for the bike. I toasted my legs for the run but still managed a decent distance for 20 minutes, which also included getting off the bike and to the treadmill. The rowing just stunk but I was pretty much done by then. All in all a good test to see where my training has gotten me so far. I just wish I could average 33.8 mph on the actual road!

2013-03-07 3:50 AM

New user
Singapore
Very impressive bike leg! Conngrats.
2013-03-07 9:29 AM
in reply to: #4644921

User image

Master
Straight outta Compton
smartine - 2013-03-04 3:03 AM

Can anyone recommend some simple stretching exercises or a short routine?

I currently don't do any stretching at all, except for the occasional quick quads or calves exercises if my watch is slow in picking up a GPS signal.

Ideally, it would be a daily routine that takes about 10 minutes. Is this realistic ?

Hey Max,

Given how well you run, I'd say you have a pretty strong core.  10 minutes a day stretching should be adequate for you, although experts usually say stretching should be done after exercise.  Have you ever tried pilates?  What about yoga?

2013-03-07 9:31 AM
in reply to: #4649537

User image

Master
Straight outta Compton
Steve, that's an awesome trainer ride.  When you say you redlined your HR, were you wearing an HRM?  Curious what your zones are.  Nice job, regardless.
2013-03-07 11:25 AM
in reply to: #4649984

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ogallala, Nebraska

mcgilmartin - 2013-03-07 8:31 AM Steve, that's an awesome trainer ride.  When you say you redlined your HR, were you wearing an HRM?  Curious what your zones are.  Nice job, regardless.

I was wearing my HRM and using my 910XT. I just uploaded my data, and my heart rate for the bike was 144 average with my high in the last 2 minutes of 156. I kind of used the bike as a LT test to see what my HR would be for a maximum effort. Last year my max heart rate on the bike was around 148. I now have to readjust my zones for the bike a little.

My run averaged 152 with a max at 159 at the end when I was really pushing. I had a high of 142 on the rowing machine but I was spent by then.

2013-03-08 8:23 AM

User image

Haven't responded in a while - work has been unreal! In the past month I have pulled 2 weeks straight of 24 hour manpower (bringing wounded patients in from downrange), a weekend of call (for the hospital), and then a 24 hour straight duty at the information desk of the hospital (without any sleep)! In addition, I've been working 14-16 hour days at work (due to lack of staffing) and needless to say, my training has really suffered

Fortunately, I won't have any additional duties for a while and most of my manning is back up to minimum staffing, so I should have some additional time in the afternoon. As a matter of fact, I'm actually getting off today after only 10 hours!

One of the Soldiers that I work with has invited me to do the Nijmegan March in July. It's a 4 day event consisting of a 40km march each day in uniform with a 20lb ruck and a cout-off time of 12 hours a day. Seeing as how I'm not doing the Pyreenees event this year, my husband has agreed to allow me to register for this event (it's also much cheaper than the Haute Route event)!

We have our first march tomorrow morning at 0500 - a 12 mile event in boots and gear...should be interesting. I won't be registering until I have a better idea of my fitness level and whether or not I feel that I can complete the event. We'll see what tomorrow brings. I haven't ruck marched in 16 years, so this should be interesting!

Hope all is well. We finally saw a little bit of sunshine earlier this week, but are expecting more snow and gloom this weekend and next week. They say that this was Germany's darkest winter ever, with only a total of 96 hours of sunlight this entire winter...so ready for Spring!

2013-03-08 10:17 AM
in reply to: #4649980

New user
Singapore

mcgilmartin - 2013-03-07 11:29 PM

Hey Max,

Given how well you run, I'd say you have a pretty strong core.  10 minutes a day stretching should be adequate for you, although experts usually say stretching should be done after exercise.  Have you ever tried pilates?  What about yoga?

Hi Martin

Thank you for replying. To be honest, I think my core is pretty weak. Particularly after cycling and during swimming I notice a tendency for my core to 'give' a bit. I did find this routine on BT that I am going to incorporate:

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/cms/article-detail.asp?articleid=486

It's just that with 7 workouts and 5 days of training every week I find it a bit of a challenge to keep things balanced. Instead of building them into a fixed schedule I will treat them as a nice extra.

As for stretching, I did some reading and amongst other things I found quite a few recommendations on the Whartons book of stretching. However, I have decided to keep things simple. I know that the main areas where I tend to build up tightness are my calves, glutes and groin. I usually do my workouts in the morning which creates a bit of a rushed feeling. But I've realized that stretching those target groups only takes a few minutes after finishing and feels so much better  during the day. So I am planning on keeping that attitude and just take my time in the morning to loosen them up before moving onto the order of the day. The 5 or 10 minutes I arrive later in the office will not make the difference.

Regarding yoga/pilates: I have tried yoga twice before and I must say, I have never slept as well as after those sessions. I looked for a nice studio around where I live but did not find any. They all seem pretty focused on hard selling subscriptions based on monthly fees. When I do the math, it would come down to paying around USD 30 / session and frankly, it's not worth that much to me. Out of curiosity, how much do you pay per session/month ?

Kind regards

Max

2013-03-08 10:24 AM
in reply to: #4651500

New user
Singapore

Hey mmez

I can only say: respect for what you're doing at work. 24 hour shifts, no sleep etc ... That's all very hardcore. The fact you are doing all that to help wounded/sick people commands even more respect.

Sorry to hear your training is suffering from it. The Nijmegen March (Holland I presume?) sounds like a proper challenge although it is quite a big deviation from your initial goals. Then again, I believe it was John Lennon who said "life is what happens while you're planning". Do whatever feels good to you.

How was today's march ?

Kind regards

Max

2013-03-09 2:01 AM
in reply to: #4629705

New user
Singapore

Usually I do 100m and 200m intervals, but today I decided to mix things up a bit. Realized the Olympic distance triathlon is 10 weeks away now, so I'd better start working on my endurance a bit.

Did 500m in 11m43s. Then did 1000m in 27m15s. The first was pretty much a time trial. The second was a lot more relaxed, just making sure I could complete the distance without any breathing breaks between laps.

2013-03-09 8:02 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ogallala, Nebraska
Max - I attend some yoga classes but they are included in the cost of our gym membership. $30 would be a deal breaker for me. I know there are some apps for a smartphone that give the different poses. Im sure there are other resources out there as well. You could try to create a series of poses yourself as a no cost option.

2013-03-12 12:19 AM
in reply to: #4652982

New user
Singapore

Hey Steve. Thanks for the advice. I would mind attending a class to be honest, turning it into something a bit more sociable than all those other solo workouts. But I'll make do with what I can find online Smile

Does anyone have any upcoming races ?

At the end of the month I am doing a 10km race. Really looking forward to that one, as I think I can go for 10k PB (last year I ran 48'). Then the week after I am starting in a half marathon. Not much expectations for that one, just running it for fun with a friend.

2013-03-12 10:50 AM

Hello everyone.  Sorry I've been awol.  It's tax season so financial planning goes into high gear at this time of the year too. 

My swimming finally clicked the other day with a swimming lesson.  It was my third lesson last month and finally the stroke felt effortless and smooth.  Now on to speed and endurance.

Running has been on hold as I apparently sit too much which has compressed several of my discs.  It was suggested that I take last week off from running and stop sitting 10-12 hours a day at work.  Thankfully I am in my taper weeks after three weeks of 16 mile long runs at increasing pace.  This Saturday is the Rock-n-Roll D.C. half-marathon but I feel prepared enough.  My doctor has cleared me for running if I do intervals.  I will do the galloway running and should still set a new PR or match last years.

Steve nice job on the indoor tri!!

Someone was asking about stretching before and after.  When I run I don't stretch before.  I spin for 10-15 minutes and then do plyometrics like butt kicks, skipping, high knees and karaoke.  Then afterwards I do the "30 second stretches" from runner's world .com with a few stretches added for my particular trouble spots i.e. groin and T.F.L./It Band.

I hope everyone has a great week.  Back to work for me.

2013-03-12 10:41 PM

User image

Round Rock

I have a 5k fun run with the family coming up at the end of the month. April 7th have the Capitol 10k which should be fun.

I put together my training plan for my A race tonight. The race is memorial day weekend. The swim is what kicks my butt. My endurance is poor when it comes to swimming and my stroke and breathing is poor. I guess it is time for lessons and just putting my butt in the pool and doing laps. If I could just get past the boredom of swimming laps. Oh well, I am greatful for my health and a family that supports my efforts to stay healthy!

2013-03-13 9:25 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ogallala, Nebraska

We've got some local races coming up. This weekend is a 10K on the golf course. It's actually a real hilly course if its run the same as last year (which they said it will be essentially the same). April 6 is a 5k adventure race. No details on what the "adventure" is going to involve. Both of these are part of the Get Fit programs we are doing. April 14 is my half marathon in Corvallis which I am prepared to PR! It's also my first half so as long as I cross the finish line its going to be a PR. May 4th is our last 5k of the Get Fit Challenge and its a make up race since the Polar Bear Freeze race in January got snowed out.

We got the results from the Indoor Triathlon and I ended up second overall. I was 1st on the bike distance by about half a mile but my run was .8 miles less than the winner's. It was a great turnout too with 53 people participating. Not bad for a town of 1500. They had a lot of interest in doing an actual triathlon that they are starting to try to plan one out for this summer.

My wife and I also joined the Fitness Center where the indoor triathlon was held. She started their cross fit program Monday and I've spent each morning cranking out some miles on the spin bike with the computer. I am not a 5 a.m. person but I'm learning.

I hope everyone is having a great start to their spring.

Steve

2013-03-16 12:18 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ogallala, Nebraska
We just finished the St. Patrick's Day 10k and I finally broke an hour. 57:48 is my new PR! For the first time in quite a while I did what I had planned to do and stayed in my heart rate zone. The last mile I pushed as hard as I could and stopped looking at my watch. I ended up crossing the finish line, headed straight to the bushes and puked. My wife did the 5k and was waiting for me when I crossed the finish line. She was not impressed until she realized my finishing time. She knew I was trying to beat my time from Boulder last year (1:05).

2013-03-16 2:35 PM

User image

Round Rock

Way to go Steve!!!!

Proud of you Bro!

2013-03-17 11:48 PM
in reply to: #4662423

Good job on the PR!  Keep it up!

I have a few races coming up as well.  A half marathon April 27, Olympic tri on May 12, and possibly another Olympic in June. 

I learned an important lesson about biking the other day.  I should always carry a spare tube, a pump (or CO2 cartridge) and a multitool (with tire wedges) everytime I leave the house on a bike ride.  Luckily I never found myself in a situation where I needed it in the middle of a ride, but now I know what I need to prepare for those contingencies.  I know it should have been common sense, but I just never thought of it.  Just wanted to share that for my fellow newbies. 

Anything else you guys like to take with you on long rides?

2013-03-18 11:47 PM
in reply to: #4663821

User image

Good reminder! I also bring some band aids, my cell phone and some cash -$5 to $10 that I keep in my bag under the saddle. Oh, and don't forget your ID as we'll as your RoadID!
2013-03-19 2:46 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ogallala, Nebraska

Where I live there aren't any bike shops around for about 55 miles, so I plan to be able to be pretty self reliant if I have a problem. We also have crappy roads with lots of broken beer bottle glass and goat head thorns.  I have a larger bag that I use for training, and it has 2 spare tubes, 3 co2 cartridges, tire levers, a small 6 head tool (I can't remember what its called but it has 2 screwdriver heads and 4 allen wrench heads that fold out for making any adjustments or tightening screws). I also carry a piece of old tire tube in case I split a tire or have a big hole in it. I plan to use it as basically a patch to protect the tube but have been lucky and haven't had to try it out. I have a road id bracelet and I wouldn't consider riding without wearing it. I really feel the road id bracelet is the most important piece of gear I have.  In my bento box I have my cell phone, a few dollars, salt tabs and some gels.

For my race pack, I have a spare tube, tire wrenches, 2 co2 cartridges and the small wrench tool. That's literally all that will fit in it and it sits between my 2 bottle holders off the back of my saddle. My bento box will just carry gels and salt tabs on race day.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » mcgilmartin's 2013 Mentor Group~ let's get swimming! CLOSED FOR TRAINING Rss Feed  

of 23