in reply to: #1941897

User image

Expert
Florida
Subject: RE: Sesh's Group - FULL!
serendipity - 2009-02-02 4:50 PM

kirih - 2009-02-02 4:35 PM

For those of you who are ill:

I can't recommend investing in a neti pot highly enough... Especially if you have congestion, sinus crud going on. Yes they look and sound woo-woo, but they work.
http://www.webmd.com/allergies/sinus-pain-pressure-9/neti-pots

X2 on the neti pot. 

I can't imagine swimming across the ocean.  Maybe across a very narrow lake.

yea..im pretty sick in the head, and even I wouldn't contemplate doing that.....yet

Also just read the article...sure hope that device was tested on sharks before she strapped it on...i mean im sure it was..but how strong is it? that was my only concern, not worried about other marine lift, but one person in the middle of the ocean looks very tasty to a hungry predator.

Edited by BeginnerMan 2009-02-02 4:09 PM

2009-02-02 6:04 PM
in reply to: #1856289

User image

Expert
CHARLOTTESVILLE, Virginia

Good evening all - this is the first chance I've had to write since Friday I think.  Whew what a 48 hrs. 

Saturday - 6am up to hit the pool.  Ended up swimming 45m but not very far.  Several of the kick drills took me forever to get from one end of the pool to the other.  Then back home and while hubby was off doing some crazy mt. bike race on ice, I headed to a tri trainer's house w/ the kids for a VO2 max test.  Those are always so much fun - NOT!!!  That was about 40m on the treadmill then back home and 28 miles on the bike trainer.  Got to bed at a decent time to rest up for 12K on Sunday and looking forward to Super Bowl Party.  Sometime in the middle of the night hubby wakes me and not in a good way but back and forth to the bathroom.  Something did not agree w/ him so he was sick all night.

Sunday - up at a reasonable hour to get ready for race but also had to do more kid care since hubby was near death.  I woke up w/ a bit of a scratchy throat and stuffy head.  But I ignored it and told myself that everything was fine.  Got off to race - nice that is was local and laid back.  I registered at 9:45am for a 10:00am start.  Race went well - it was a hilly course.  I improved my time by 15min. over last year.  So I was very happy.  Got home and took kids to the park b/c it was so warm and they had been cooped up for weeks.  So I spent an hour chasing them around at a very large park w/ a lot of people and they insisted on going opposite directions most of the time.  Then I dropped the 2 yr. old at home for a nap and headed to the store w/ my son since we had no party supplies at home.  We were not able to go to the party b/c my husband was still feeling yuck.

Got home, made some munchies, ate half a pan of Rice Krispie treats, a beer and some other other junk.  Then it hit me - I felt yuck.  Not sure if it was the training, race, food, cold or what - most likely a combination the above.  So it was quite the pathetic Super Bowl evening.  I can say that I watched the entire game right up until those d*mn Steelers scored the winning touchdown.  LOL  We are anti-Steelers fans.  I went to bed feeling crummy.

So this morning I woke up feeling crummy but dragged myself to core/strength conditioning class and took some tylenol.  Started to feel better.  I had a productive day and got my long swim in.  I did scrap the run but I had already intended to do that.

So that is my sob story of a weekend.  I hope to feel better tomorrow.  I hate being sick!  Sorry for being so long winded but I wanted to whine and have a self-pity party.  I feel much better now.

I hope everyone had a great weekend and had fun watching the game.

Edited by sdalessio 2009-02-02 6:05 PM
2009-02-02 6:35 PM

User image

Master
On a lake in the Adirondacks in NY

Another one bites the dust!  Samantha, feel better soon! (And don't breathe in my direction.)

2009-02-02 7:19 PM
in reply to: #1942174

User image

Expert
I'll try not too.  I'm surprised I lasted this long w/ 2 kids in preschool and an office full of sick people the past few weeks.
2009-02-02 8:16 PM
in reply to: #1941591

User image

Champion
Sequim, Washington
danielc - 2009-02-02 11:44 AM
mchally - 2009-02-02 10:08 AM

I am going to go to Road Runner Sports and get some shoe advice. 

I got some great help at Super Jock n Jill down by Green Lake.  Just another option to consider.

Feel better Melissa and everyone else.

They are just a couple of blocks from Road runner's.  I think that I will visit both and compare their input.  It will be a little while before I have the funds anyway.
2009-02-03 8:09 AM

User image

Champion
Brandon, MS
Good luck finding the right shoes, mel.  It really will make  a world of difference.  It took Fleet Feet a few tries, and a couple of different pairs before I found heaven for my feet.  It's really nice not feeling like somebody hit my shins with hammers.

2009-02-03 8:19 AM

User image

Champion
Brandon, MS

Well it looks like none of us have a shortage of stuff going on!  I think it may be for the best that we all just get the sick out of the way early.  It's coming around, and it's looking like there is nothing anybody can do about it.

As for other stuff, I had a good weekend.  Five year olds are awesome when I'm the one that just gets to play with them.  Being the uncle is pretty fun.  The kid shadowed me at the dinner table.  If I ate a rib, she would eat a rib.  If I picked up the corn, then she picked up the corn.  When I got up to get more tea, she got up and asked her mom to get her more tea.  Then she wanted to go outside and play with me... and only me.  She got a soccer ball and wanted me to teach her how to play.  Things were good until her natural coordination took over (the kid can barely walk straight), and she stepped on top of the ball, did an aerial backflip and landed pretty much on her head.  Yes... I was doing my best not to laugh, but I still nearly lost it when she looked up and said, "Uncle Bill, we need to go get a band aid now."  Other people's kids

Superbowl party was good.  Just a few friends, few beers, good food, and a good game.  Then Monday hit.  We're insanely busy anyway, and now the lady I work under had to go to the hospital yesterday afternoon.  Still don't know for what, but that doubles what I have to get done by Friday.  Still, I guess I shouldn't complain.  I'd rather be busy than in the hospital.  So, I may be a bit spotty this week, but I'll check in when I can.  I've also got to sneak in a long run Thursday morning and a big brick on Saturday.  Crazy week all around, so I'm going into survival mode now

Take care and great work so far!

Edited by sesh 2009-02-03 8:19 AM
2009-02-04 8:31 AM

User image

Expert
Happy Wednesday!  I hope everyone has had a productive training week so far.  I seem to be on the mend.  Working out has helped I think.  Got in my swim early this morning and looking forward to 24 hrs. of rest and dinner out tonight w/ the hubby.  Of course, though home in time for LOST!  LOL
2009-02-04 9:59 AM

User image

Master

Okay, who's been breathing towards the northeast? Yell I woke up with my ear hurting and a scratchy throat.  Actually, I can't blame any of you.  My daughter and husband have both came down with something last week.  So nice of them to share.

It was supposed to be a swim day, but I just couldn't drag myself out of bed at 5:30 am (and then clean snow off my car).  I decided to do Friday's trainer ride tonight and swim over the weekend.  My shoulders are still sore from Monday, anyway!

How's everyone else feeling?

2009-02-04 11:19 AM
in reply to: #1945041

User image

Expert

That's exactly how I woke up Sunday AM.  My cold didn't last long.  I probably sound worse right now than I feel.  Exercise seems to have made things better.

Hope it goes away quickly!  Have a good trainer ride tonight.

2009-02-04 2:18 PM

User image

Master

I hope I can fight it off quick.  I had enough of being sick over the holidays.

After reducing the engine to a pile of parts and putting it back together again, my husband finally got the snowblower started today (after we shoveled yesterday's snow).  Therefore, I predict that winter is over and we won't see another snowflake until 2010.  Don't listen to the groundhog.  The snowblower is never wrong.  Laughing

2009-02-04 6:29 PM

User image

Regular

Does anyone know a good swim program?  I hear some people talking about kick workouts and other types of workouts, but where can I find out more about them.  I am finally getting back in the pool and I normally do just a warmup (100-200 m) followed by either a time/distance swim or a 5 x 50/5 x 100m, then a cool down.  Is there a website or a book that can guide me into improving my speed and endurance.

I did run again on Monday night, the first time in almost a month.  I am a little sore but I felt good while running (even kept my form pretty well).  I thought I would give myself an extra day or rest and then get back to running every other day (the run is my nemosis, I do not like it and it does not like me).

On a different note, I attended the first every meeting of the TriTippecanoe Triathlon Club yesterday (at a bar no less).  This was more of an informal meeting to get to know people but I am pretty excited that I might not have to run or bike by myself all the time this summer.  Most people their are doing a 1/2 or full ironman (Steelhead, Munci, or Lousiville IM) this year, so my OLY is the shortest distance.  But I am just excited to get with some people who share the same crazy gene that drives us to do Triathlons.

Take care and I hope that everyone is tracking on their training.

2009-02-04 6:54 PM

User image

Master

Bill will probably have lots of swim suggestions for you.

I used one of the beginner swim programs on BT last fall.  Month 1 is here:

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/cms/article-detail.asp?articleid=755

I think I'm going to start following it again once my planned swim times get long enough to fit all the drills in.

2009-02-05 8:14 AM

User image

Expert

OMG is it cold here.  I think it was 5 degrees this morning when I did my speed workout run.  My thighs were frozen when I was done!

I finally caught up on organizing my resolutions and checking on how I'm doing so far.  Jan. Monthly Challenge was completed - I had picked the BT Peach Challenge.  I came up w/ a lame one for Feb. (clean out 8 boxes worth of kids clothes and toys from my house) but maybe then I won't trip over so much.  And I am one step ahead of the game and decided on March already.  Also updated my mileage numbers for Swim/Bike/Run across the USA.

Training is going well.  My cold seems to be going away. So all in all I'm on an up swing.  I hope everyone else is feeling better and healing.  Eric - glad to hear about the tri group.  It's nice to find a group to hang out with and provide motivation.

2009-02-05 8:53 AM
in reply to: #1946040

User image

Champion
Brandon, MS
53epilot - 2009-02-04 6:29 PM

Does anyone know a good swim program?  I hear some people talking about kick workouts and other types of workouts, but where can I find out more about them.  I am finally getting back in the pool and I normally do just a warmup (100-200 m) followed by either a time/distance swim or a 5 x 50/5 x 100m, then a cool down.  Is there a website or a book that can guide me into improving my speed and endurance.

I did run again on Monday night, the first time in almost a month.  I am a little sore but I felt good while running (even kept my form pretty well).  I thought I would give myself an extra day or rest and then get back to running every other day (the run is my nemosis, I do not like it and it does not like me).

On a different note, I attended the first every meeting of the TriTippecanoe Triathlon Club yesterday (at a bar no less).  This was more of an informal meeting to get to know people but I am pretty excited that I might not have to run or bike by myself all the time this summer.  Most people their are doing a 1/2 or full ironman (Steelhead, Munci, or Lousiville IM) this year, so my OLY is the shortest distance.  But I am just excited to get with some people who share the same crazy gene that drives us to do Triathlons.

Take care and I hope that everyone is tracking on their training.

Oooh!  Swimming!

When I'm not on a BT training plan (which details out each swim for you), I'll use www.swimplan.com to get some workouts.  You can enter your times for a bunch of distances, tell it what toys and strokes you want, pick the intensity, and it will figure up a session for you.

Also, there are some good workouts here on BT that are separate from the individual days in a training plan.

Beginner workouts: http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/cms/index.asp?catid=156

Intermediate workouts: http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/cms/index.asp?catid=157

All kinds of stuff on drills: http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/cms/index.asp?catid=158

Very cool, to hear about your tri club.  We just re-vamped ours from a yahoo mail group to an actual funtioning club and it's been great so far.  We have about twenty members going down to New Orleans in April for the half iron, so it's been very helpful to be around others who are going through the same training.  Really get involved with them because you can learn a TON from the other members.  Also, they tend to be the only people who don't roll their eyes when you talk about nothing but triatlon

2009-02-05 8:55 AM
in reply to: #1946652

User image

Champion
Brandon, MS
sdalessio - 2009-02-05 8:14 AM

OMG is it cold here.  I think it was 5 degrees this morning when I did my speed workout run.  My thighs were frozen when I was done!

I finally caught up on organizing my resolutions and checking on how I'm doing so far.  Jan. Monthly Challenge was completed - I had picked the BT Peach Challenge.  I came up w/ a lame one for Feb. (clean out 8 boxes worth of kids clothes and toys from my house) but maybe then I won't trip over so much.  And I am one step ahead of the game and decided on March already.  Also updated my mileage numbers for Swim/Bike/Run across the USA.

Training is going well.  My cold seems to be going away. So all in all I'm on an up swing.  I hope everyone else is feeling better and healing.  Eric - glad to hear about the tri group.  It's nice to find a group to hang out with and provide motivation.

I was gonna whine about it being 25 degrees this morning.  I'll be quiet

2009-02-05 9:25 AM
in reply to: #1946748

User image

Master
sesh - 2009-02-05 9:55 AM

I was gonna whine about it being 25 degrees this morning.  I'll be quiet

That's our forecasted high for today! 

I'm still battling the sore throat, but my plan only calls for a 12 minute run today.  I think I can handle that this evening. 

I don't know what's going on with me, but I haven't been sleeping well, and when I do I have weird dreams or something.  Last night I woke my husband at 1:30 am to tell him "fourteen".  Anyone need a lottery number? Smile

2009-02-05 11:23 AM

User image

Veteran
Atlanta, GA

So y'all... i havent really logged anything but i have been running and biking. I am scheduled to start swimming next Monday. I have a question for folks in the north...

I currently travel with my career. I have picked up a client in Philly where it snows and slushes. I went for an outside run twice this week (cant stand the t-mill too often) and nearly died between the cold and ice. How does one deal with this (i have winter running clothes). Also, I found a community center pool to train in but i was wondering if there are other, inside options. Please help!

2009-02-05 11:34 AM
in reply to: #1945041

User image

Champion
Sequim, Washington
serendipity - 2009-02-04 7:59 AM

Okay, who's been breathing towards the northeast? Yell I woke up with my ear hurting and a scratchy throat.  Actually, I can't blame any of you.  My daughter and husband have both came down with something last week.  So nice of them to share.

It was supposed to be a swim day, but I just couldn't drag myself out of bed at 5:30 am (and then clean snow off my car).  I decided to do Friday's trainer ride tonight and swim over the weekend.  My shoulders are still sore from Monday, anyway!

How's everyone else feeling?

It sounds like what I have been experiencing...and my classmates...and roommate

I just can't figure out where I could have possibly picked it up.  

2009-02-05 11:40 AM
in reply to: #1947112

User image

Champion
Sequim, Washington
TriNole - 2009-02-05 9:23 AM

So y'all... i havent really logged anything but i have been running and biking. I am scheduled to start swimming next Monday. I have a question for folks in the north...

I currently travel with my career. I have picked up a client in Philly where it snows and slushes. I went for an outside run twice this week (cant stand the t-mill too often) and nearly died between the cold and ice. How does one deal with this (i have winter running clothes). Also, I found a community center pool to train in but i was wondering if there are other, inside options. Please help!

I didn't make it out when the weather was like that here...but I was getting over a cold at the time as well.   Actually, I missed a lot of runs last month because of frost and black ice.  It was way to slippery.  I can't stand treadmills.

I guess that I am not much help.

2009-02-05 11:57 AM
in reply to: #1947112

User image

Expert

I think it's just a matter of getting used to the cold and knowing that it is going to be cold.  I dress in several layers but nothing heavy and cover as much skin as possible.  I even wore pantyhose under my running pants this morning to try and stay warm.  It almost worked but it was close to zero. 

Some of it is mental.  A few weeks ago I was FL during their cold spell and even though it was warmer there than home, I was cold even when running b/c mentally I expected it to be warmer.  This morning the forecast was for extreme cold and I knew it.  It took me 30min to summon the courage to get out of bed and run but it wasn't as bad as I thought b/c I was already expecting awful weather.

Don't know if that helps or not.  At the very least spring is around the corner. :-)

Can't help w/ the pool.  I swim at a commnuity pool and battle 3-4 people per lane most times.  You could look into a masters group.

2009-02-05 1:06 PM

User image

Master

X2 on the layers.  I'm about 45 minutes northeast of Philly, so we have pretty much the same weather.  I wear UA running tights under another pair of sweats, and UA or other thermal base layer shirt with 1-3 more layers on top of that, depending on how cold it is.  Then warm gloves, because I don't like it when my hands are cold.  Top it off with a UA balaclava and another hat on top of that.  By the end of the run I am usually wishing I had left off a layer, but I'd rather be too warm than too cold.

I have a pair of yaktrax for the ice, but I rarely wear them because it is only icy in patches.  I just slow down for the ice, or even walk.  (Of course, I don't actually have to slow down much, since I'm already running pretty slow.)

I swim at the Y.  Where do you stay when you travel?  Maybe you should look for a hotel with a pool.  Usually those pools are empty.  You'd probably have it to yourself.

2009-02-05 4:02 PM

User image

Veteran
Atlanta, GA

Thanks for the advice; I am about 30 minutes outside of Philly in Blue Bell and West Point. I am considering the community center for swim training and going at 6 when they open. I cant swim in the hotel pool (i stay at marriott) because it is only about 15m long and i would be constantly turning (not fun).

Uh, I think i'll skip the panty hose as my wife may start to wonder just 'who' I'm travelling with Surprised

I guess I'm doing the right things to run up here; i have some trail running shoes that seem better than my normal trainers. If anyone wants to train in the area, please let me know; misery loves company!!!

Edited by TriNole 2009-02-05 4:02 PM
2009-02-05 8:51 PM

User image

Champion
Sequim, Washington

Where does time go???

2009-02-05 8:59 PM
in reply to: #1948246

User image

Master
mchally - 2009-02-05 9:51 PM

Where does time go???

When you find out, let me know!

(My husband suggests checking behind the sofa cushions, but all I found was dog hair and lego pieces.)

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Sesh's Group - FULL! Rss Feed  

of 47