Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 29

2009-03-24 7:53 AM
in reply to: #2035095

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
Subject: RE: kenj group - Closed

kweezen - 2009-03-23 3:54 PM Its a slow week of tapering for me.  OMG - I've got my first sprint on Sunday!!!! 

You'll do great!  Enjoy the moment and take it all in!

2009-03-24 8:49 AM
in reply to: #1859832

User image

Veteran
Houston
With tri races upon us, I'm already getting nervous about my own race in two weeks. It is my 4th overall, longest thus far ( quarter iron ), first of the season. Intuitively you know you'll be okay...my biggest concern is the swim course. How do you cope with prerace nerves? A running friend and BOP gave our marathon group this tidbit the week before the race. i adapted it for triathlons I think it helps.

"Look around you, think about the people you can’t see: those who trained for the triathlon but didn’t reach the starting line; those who race but not at this distance; those who run but never tri; those who used to tri but don’t anymore; those who will never attempt what you're doing. .
Don’t call yourself “slow” because you are not—You are fast enough to beat everyone who isn’t there. You've worked hard to get to the starting line, this is your "Victory Lap" Enjoy it."
2009-03-24 9:22 AM
in reply to: #2036367

User image

Veteran
Northwest Arkansas

wakehr - 2009-03-24 8:49 AM "Look around you, think about the people you can’t see: those who trained for the triathlon but didn’t reach the starting line; those who race but not at this distance; those who run but never tri; those who used to tri but don’t anymore; those who will never attempt what you're doing. . Don’t call yourself “slow” because you are not—You are fast enough to beat everyone who isn’t there. You've worked hard to get to the starting line, this is your "Victory Lap" Enjoy it."

Oh I am so going to steal that quote.  That's fantastic.  Thanks Wayne.

2009-03-24 10:37 AM
in reply to: #2033292

User image

Regular
kenj - 2009-03-22 6:13 PM

>So, what is everybody up to?

I'm focusing mainly on cycling currently. I have a 75 mile ride Apr 2, then my "big" ride is the 3 State, 3 Mountain century on May 2 in Chattanooga (AKA a "training ride" for Chip!).

This weekend I'm actually doing a racewalking clinic with racewalking guru Dave Mcgovern. I signed up for this when I was having more knee problems and was starting to doubt my ability to ever run much longer than 10K. I was (am?) considering training for a half IM next year, and a full IM in 2 years, with plans to run/racewalk the run portion. The clinic should be interesting.

I prob won't do a triathlon til the fall because of other commitments/events.

What's everyone else up to?

Howard
2009-03-24 10:52 PM

User image

Master
Dunedin

I have a 15k race on Sunday of this week and then I have a 1/2 marathon the following Sunday (*note* I have NEVER ran that far before!).

My husband suggested I use my rolling pin for something other than making a pie (which I haven't done in MONTHS)...helping my plantar fasciitis!  I've been rolling my feet back and forth over it to "stretch" things.  I started yesterday and my feet are achy today, but not that searing pain like my foot is going to split apart.  I'm going to keep it up through Friday and hopefully it'll help. 

TGIRW until then!

hank God It's Recovery Week)

2009-03-25 11:09 AM

User image

Master
Dunedin

I thought I'd share a recipe with y'all from this months Runners World. I was skeptical because I haven't made a yogurt smoothie before, but I liked this:

Melon Mango Breakfast Smoothie

3/4 c frozen mango chunks (bought three on Sunday and cut them up last night and stuck 'em in the freezer)

1/2 c frozen or fresh banana slices (mine are frozen because I use them for a different smoothie)

1/2 c cantaloupe diced (I opted out of this)

1/3 c low-fat vanilla yogurt (I just used one of the single serving yogurts)

1/4 c vanilla soymilk (I added 1/4 tsp vanilla to omega-3 fortified soymilk)

1/4 c low-fat granola for topping (didn't do this)

All ingredients minus granola go in blender and pureed.  Granola goes on top.

p.s. I volunteered for Ironman Lake Placid on July 26th this year to try and get my own spot for next year!

2009-03-25 2:07 PM
in reply to: #2039169

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
WittyCityGirl - 2009-03-25 12:09 PM

I thought I'd share a recipe with y'all from this months Runners World. I was skeptical because I haven't made a yogurt smoothie before, but I liked this:

Melon Mango Breakfast Smoothie

3/4 c frozen mango chunks (bought three on Sunday and cut them up last night and stuck 'em in the freezer)

1/2 c frozen or fresh banana slices (mine are frozen because I use them for a different smoothie)

1/2 c cantaloupe diced (I opted out of this)

1/3 c low-fat vanilla yogurt (I just used one of the single serving yogurts)

1/4 c vanilla soymilk (I added 1/4 tsp vanilla to omega-3 fortified soymilk)

1/4 c low-fat granola for topping (didn't do this)

All ingredients minus granola go in blender and pureed.  Granola goes on top.

p.s. I volunteered for Ironman Lake Placid on July 26th this year to try and get my own spot for next year!

I love smoothies!  I usually follow pretty close to what your recipe is except I have been using different berries.  Plus I'll add in a scoop of protien powder and a handfull of ice.

Thats great about volunteering for LP!  I will see you up there!

2009-03-25 9:16 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Middleville, MI
My first tri won't be til June so I am still stuck in training mode.  I have been travelling a lot for work so it makes things a bit tougher.  At least spring is here so I hope to be done with the treadmill and the trainer. 
2009-03-26 7:56 AM

User image

Veteran
Houston
Is there such a thing as free speed? Interesting report on top 20 training gear.

The Tri Talk Top 20 is an independent listing of triathlon gear, supplements, orthotics, and printed resources that have been specifically tied to performance gains when racing. The purpose of this report is to provide the triathlete with a list of the most effective training and racing components, while educating the triathlete on the most economical investments in training gear.

http://www.tri-talk.com/Top20.asp

2009-03-28 8:36 AM
in reply to: #2041012

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY

wakehr - 2009-03-26 8:56 AM Is there such a thing as free speed? Interesting report on top 20 training gear. The Tri Talk Top 20 is an independent listing of triathlon gear, supplements, orthotics, and printed resources that have been specifically tied to performance gains when racing. The purpose of this report is to provide the triathlete with a list of the most effective training and racing components, while educating the triathlete on the most economical investments in training gear. http://www.tri-talk.com/Top20.asp

Some good info here!  I especially like that they don't just throw expensive gear on the list, including the fitting and books for the self coached athlete.

2009-03-30 8:06 PM

User image

Master
Dunedin
Y'all are quiet on here!!! Thanks for checking in on my race yesterday fellas.  My hamstrings are tight today, but so far so good.  1/2 marathon is Sunday!

2009-03-31 7:20 AM
in reply to: #2049792

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY

WittyCityGirl - 2009-03-30 9:06 PM Y'all are quiet on here!!! Thanks for checking in on my race yesterday fellas.  My hamstrings are tight today, but so far so good.  1/2 marathon is Sunday!

I sure wish I was back home so I could come over and run the race Sunday!

You are right! It has been a bit quiet, I hope it is because everyone is off training!

2009-03-31 7:27 AM

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY

Another thing that maybe you are not aware of is the race reports.  Make sure you do a race report (let me know if you don't know how to access these).  These are fun to look back on and see how you progress over time or if you are doing the same race the following year!

Also make sure to stop by and read plus comment on others race reports!

2009-03-31 10:15 AM

User image

Veteran
Houston
OWS. Sunday will be my first open water swim in Galveston bay salt water with a wetsuit. From what I can tell, no surf or current issues since its in a bayou. 1000 meter swim to transition. Since this is my longest swim ever, I plan to start, as usual, in back since I'm slow. Nerves are starting to creep in I guess; any tips, lessons learned from our group regarding wetsuit swims or strategy...other than have "fun" and Kick a$$.

Edited by wakehr 2009-03-31 10:16 AM
2009-03-31 4:47 PM
in reply to: #2050892

User image

Veteran
Northwest Arkansas

Galveston Bay huh?  Be sure to take something to get the crude oil off.  Laughing

So, I got a call today from a friend of mine who tells me he's signed me up for their marathon relay team this Sunday.  I'm not sure if he's kidding or not, but I hope so.  That doesn't fit into my training schedule very well. 

2009-03-31 5:10 PM

User image

Master
Dunedin

Make sure you get some body glide so that you can get out of your wetsuit! 

wakehr - 2009-03-31 11:15 AM OWS. Sunday will be my first open water swim in Galveston bay salt water with a wetsuit. From what I can tell, no surf or current issues since its in a bayou. 1000 meter swim to transition. Since this is my longest swim ever, I plan to start, as usual, in back since I'm slow. Nerves are starting to creep in I guess; any tips, lessons learned from our group regarding wetsuit swims or strategy...other than have "fun" and Kick a$$.

2009-03-31 9:19 PM

User image

Regular
Update on racewalking

I spent this last wknd at a Dave McGovern racewalking clinic. He's a competitive racewalker/coach (his PB marathon (racewalking) is 3:38). I signed up for it when I was having more knee problems, and was wondering if I would ever be able to run long distances. It was very interesting. Racewalking kind of reminds me of swimming -- you have to get the technique down first (OK, not nearly as much technique as swimming, but more to it than running). So he showed us some basics, then video'd us. Then it was back to the classroom to watch the video and have him point out mistakes and talk about how to correct them. Then back to the track to work on it. We did another video on the second day and you could see some improvement in almost everyone. He also did a test to estimate lactate threshold, and talked about training. He did convince me that racewalking has definite crosstraining benefit with running, but with MUCH less wear and tear (esp for someone my size).

I'm prob not ever going to pursue competitive racewalking, but I definitely plan to incorporate it in my training to help reduce joint wear and tear. I can't see racewalking in a sprint or Oly, but if I eventually decide to do 1/2 IM or a full IM, I could see using racewalking as an alternative to running.
2009-03-31 9:25 PM

User image

Veteran
Northwest Arkansas

Interesting stuff Howard.  A sub 4 marathon racewalking??  Maybe that's the answer! 

What kind of heart rate did you see when you were walking (compared to when you're running)?

2009-04-01 6:47 AM

User image

Master
Dunedin

KEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Did you see this...http://senecaepic.com/ ??

Let's do it and racewalk the last 13 miles!

2009-04-01 6:58 AM
in reply to: #2053020

User image

Regular
snaproll - 2009-03-31 9:25 PM

What kind of heart rate did you see when you were walking (compared to when you're running)?

It took a little longer for the heart rate to rise, but I reached about the same heart rates I get when I'm running slow (i.e. my usual pace). We did 8 min hard (racewalking) efforts, and my heart rate stayed around 150-155. Now if I'm running hard, I will definitely get my heart rate higher (170-175), but I can't maintain this for more than a few minutes. On long bike rides I usually avg around 145.
2009-04-01 7:16 AM
in reply to: #2053519

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
WittyCityGirl - 2009-04-01 7:47 AM

KEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Did you see this...http://senecaepic.com/ ??

Let's do it and racewalk the last 13 miles!

Jeff Henderson has certainly been staying up late to think this one up!!!  With that swim and some of the hills on the bike I may have to sprint the run to finish under the time limit! 

Are you going to do it?

2009-04-01 7:20 AM
in reply to: #2053001

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY

y2kdad99 - 2009-03-31 10:19 PM Update on racewalking I spent this last wknd at a Dave McGovern racewalking clinic. He's a competitive racewalker/coach (his PB marathon (racewalking) is 3:38). I signed up for it when I was having more knee problems, and was wondering if I would ever be able to run long distances. It was very interesting. Racewalking kind of reminds me of swimming -- you have to get the technique down first (OK, not nearly as much technique as swimming, but more to it than running). So he showed us some basics, then video'd us. Then it was back to the classroom to watch the video and have him point out mistakes and talk about how to correct them. Then back to the track to work on it. We did another video on the second day and you could see some improvement in almost everyone. He also did a test to estimate lactate threshold, and talked about training. He did convince me that racewalking has definite crosstraining benefit with running, but with MUCH less wear and tear (esp for someone my size). I'm prob not ever going to pursue competitive racewalking, but I definitely plan to incorporate it in my training to help reduce joint wear and tear. I can't see racewalking in a sprint or Oly, but if I eventually decide to do 1/2 IM or a full IM, I could see using racewalking as an alternative to running.

I can't think of the name of the method, but there are a lot of people that do the walk/run strategy in HIM and IM as well as marathons!  I played leap frog with a group doing it a couple of years ago in the Harrisburg Marathon.  Every 8 or 10 minutes the timer on one of their watches would beep and they all would walk for 2 minutes.  Very effective method for a good finish, but may be tough for a Boston Qualifier.

2009-04-01 7:22 AM

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY

wakehr - 2009-03-31 11:15 AM OWS. Sunday will be my first open water swim in Galveston bay salt water with a wetsuit. From what I can tell, no surf or current issues since its in a bayou. 1000 meter swim to transition. Since this is my longest swim ever, I plan to start, as usual, in back since I'm slow. Nerves are starting to creep in I guess; any tips, lessons learned from our group regarding wetsuit swims or strategy...other than have "fun" and Kick a$$.

Besides the body glide around the arms/shoulders and neck, the best advice I can think of is to practice taking it off.  I am assuming they don't have strippers for this race.  Typical problem is people struggling to get it off, especially around the ankles.

2009-04-01 8:43 AM
in reply to: #2053594

User image

Veteran
Northwest Arkansas

y2kdad99 -

It took a little longer for the heart rate to rise, but I reached about the same heart rates I get when I'm running slow (i.e. my usual pace). We did 8 min hard (racewalking) efforts, and my heart rate stayed around 150-155. Now if I'm running hard, I will definitely get my heart rate higher (170-175), but I can't maintain this for more than a few minutes. On long bike rides I usually avg around 145.

Sounds like a great way to burn fat.

kenj -

I can't think of the name of the method, but there are a lot of people that do the walk/run strategy in HIM and IM as well as marathons!  I played leap frog with a group doing it a couple of years ago in the Harrisburg Marathon.  Every 8 or 10 minutes the timer on one of their watches would beep and they all would walk for 2 minutes.  Very effective method for a good finish, but may be tough for a Boston Qualifier.

Is this the Galloway Run/Walk/Run method?  I think he claims it to be a successful strategy all the way down to a 3:20 marathon.  http://www.active.com/running/Articles/Run-walk-run_to_faster_times__faster_recovery.htm

kenj -

AM I am assuming they don't have strippers for this race.  Typical problem is people struggling to get it off, especially around the ankles.

I for one am not participating in any race where they don't have strippers.  I have my standards.

Edited by snaproll 2009-04-01 8:43 AM
2009-04-01 12:48 PM

User image

Veteran
Houston
Strippers? I did find out YES there will be strippers of both genders as soon as you exit the water. One less thing to worry about.....the wetsuit of course. I definintely need to look into perscription goggles !!
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » kenj group - Closed Rss Feed  

of 29