BT Development Mentor Program Archives » kalalau's Group - FULL for now Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 38

2009-05-05 7:43 PM
in reply to: #2130788

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland
Subject: RE: kalalau's Group - FULL for now

ras26 - 2009-05-05 9:53 AM
ETA:  A thread answering this question and others appeared in the general tri forum today: http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp... />

That is a pretty good thread.  Lots of things I should've said here already. :-)  Make sure you attend the pre-race meeting if they have one.  I remember the Columbia meeting specifically because that's where I was given the idea to just wear my race bib under my wetsuit.

Drafting is 3 or 4 bike lengths but they will go over that in the meeting.  Are are allowed X seconds (30?) to pass, so you can draft while you approach, and then scoot around.  Once one guy's bike wheel passes the other, the behind person is then in charge of dropping back the require length.

It's good to read the "most common offenses" USAT page.

2009-05-06 12:14 PM
in reply to: #1876643

User image

Chicago, IL
Greetings from AZ!!!  I am really excited for your race coming up.  I noticved it was quiet out here and thought maybe every is just really focused, so I took a haitus as well.  Unless I get up at 4am in the morning, being outside right now just sucks!  102 + for the next week.  It was 87 degrees at 5:30am today!

Regardless, I am sticking with a higher intensity shorter time workout plan going into this race.  I feel that I am in good enough shape and I am just making sure that I have the strength and intensity to plow through another sprint.  It has been interesting training in the heat, totally different ball game.  It makes you appreciate those that do the IM in hot weather, what the heck are you thinking?!?!?!  I am only kidding I get, it supposed to be hard, just add heat, awesome! I am also taking a different approach with nutrition this time, I am planning to live off the course and I am not really doing anything other than H20 and Gatorade.  I am not going to use a wetsuit, I have decided on that much.

All and all things are good, I really am excited to hear all about the race in Columbia, you guys are going to rock!  All I can say after doing my first one is breathe and enjoy it all happens too fast!

2009-05-06 2:58 PM
in reply to: #2134216

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland

gone - 2009-05-06 1:14 PM

Greetings from AZ!!!  I am really excited for your race coming up.  I noticved it was quiet out here and thought maybe every is just really focused, so I took a haitus as well.  Unless I get up at 4am in the morning, being outside right now just sucks!  102 + for the next week.  It was 87 degrees at 5:30am today!

Regardless, I am sticking with a higher intensity shorter time workout plan going into this race.  I feel that I am in good enough shape and I am just making sure that I have the strength and intensity to plow through another sprint.  It has been interesting training in the heat, totally different ball game.  It makes you appreciate those that do the IM in hot weather, what the heck are you thinking?!?!?!  I am only kidding I get, it supposed to be hard, just add heat, awesome! I am also taking a different approach with nutrition this time, I am planning to live off the course and I am not really doing anything other than H20 and Gatorade.  I am not going to use a wetsuit, I have decided on that much.

All and all things are good, I really am excited to hear all about the race in Columbia, you guys are going to rock!  All I can say after doing my first one is breathe and enjoy it all happens too fast!

Go get'em Dave!  Hey are you going to wear socks?  Did you wear them in the last race?  Going sockless is a way to save some time, but don't do it without practicing it in training.  If you have foot problems with no socks, you might not finish at all.  It can get pretty bloody.  But some people can manage to go sockless and save some time.  You can use BodyGlide to slicken up the back of the shoe, or vaseline.  A friend of mine uses Gold Bond powder in his shoes so he can go sockless.

How is the aerobar idea going?

2009-05-07 2:05 PM
in reply to: #2134703

User image

Chicago, IL

Go get'em Dave!  Hey are you going to wear socks?  Did you wear them in the last race?  Going sockless is a way to save some time, but don't do it without practicing it in training.  If you have foot problems with no socks, you might not finish at all.  It can get pretty bloody.  But some people can manage to go sockless and save some time.  You can use BodyGlide to slicken up the back of the shoe, or vaseline.  A friend of mine uses Gold Bond powder in his shoes so he can go sockless.

How is the aerobar idea going?

Hey Dave...Thanks...and I flirted with the idea of going sockless and I think I could have managed...???  But I decided that I did not have "enough" time to be 100% comfortable with the idea before this race.  I will try for sure for a race in July and then the Chicago Tri in late August.  What I really want to do is learn to jump on my bike with the shoes already clipped on...that is the next real goal...I am using a REAL bike finally and its bittersweet.  Still a bit upset that I did not try to rent one for my last race, but sooooo happy I have it now.  Riding a GT 1000RX road bike, its nice.  You know, I have adjusted well to the aerobars, I mean I totally undersatnd the instability that you had mentioned, but I think I got the gist of it.  I am really working on fine tuning the settings on the bike.  Trying to really hone in and get everything adjusted just the way I want it.  The heat is for real though, man...I may have to try that vaseline idea, we used to do that too when breaking in new soccer boots.  Going into my final week of prep, I am excited all over again...this sport is great.

Thanks again Dave for all your suport and infinite wisdom...

2009-05-07 11:49 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland

There are a lot of good transition tips in this great BT video:

Triathlon Transition Setup and Execution

It talks about things like running sockless, and having the shoes already clipped in the pedals.  I learned how to start/stop with the shoes on the pedals, from this video.  Takes a good bit of practice, but it's super cool when you start to get it.  The only problem I had when I did it the first time in a race is that I jumped off the bike at too fast a speed, so the shoe hit the ground and popped right off, so I wasted time in having to go back to get my stupid shoe. :-(  So now I know I have to slow down more.

2009-05-08 12:40 PM

User image

Chicago, IL
I will check that out, sounds perfect.  Its very hard to train out here in the heat to improve.  It almost comical how slow I feel and inefficient. Its almost distracting.  How hot is it again in Kona?  Like 86 degrees, I believe, that might be tolerable, but this 90+ to 100+ is unbelievable...I really hope it cools down before the race...anything!  I would take a couple of degrees just to mentally feel better about it...I believe I am doing a great job with my nutrition...I have upped the sodium, I dont feel or ever percieve myself to be dehydrated, its just another animal.  What's the golden rule about temps, that when running your body will be about 10 degrees -15 degrees warmer than the outside temp?  Obviously that is not true out here because you would be dead, but because its so dry, you barely sweat, there is no cool down.  The way I am looking at it, it can only help me be more prepared to return to Chicago and deal with Chicago's hot 86 degree day and be so much more comofrtable with it than I would before.  I hope everyone is well and safe.

2009-05-08 7:19 PM

User image

Randolph, NJ
OK i just have to say i am HOOKED! Had the first triathlon ride tonight. It was friggin' AWESOME!!!!!! It was the first time I rode in a group ride and everyone was great. I saw areas of Randolph I have never seen before...beautiful farms and wonderful fields!!!! I can not wait till next friday to do it all again! Plus I feel great...only 4 big hill but i was able to manage them all! The more I do it the better i will get! WOOO-HOOO.....sorry i just had to share!
2009-05-11 1:40 PM
in reply to: #2139893

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland

abbiesue - 2009-05-08 8:19 PM OK i just have to say i am HOOKED! Had the first triathlon ride tonight. It was friggin' AWESOME!!!!!! It was the first time I rode in a group ride and everyone was great. I saw areas of Randolph I have never seen before...beautiful farms and wonderful fields!!!! I can not wait till next friday to do it all again! Plus I feel great...only 4 big hill but i was able to manage them all! The more I do it the better i will get! WOOO-HOOO.....sorry i just had to share!

Apparently I can no longer post from my cell phone, that is bizarre.  I wanted to respond to this over the weekend, it's exciting! :-)  I'm happy that you have gotten hooked, your race is going to be AWESOME!!  Did you meet folks who are also doing the race?

2009-05-11 1:44 PM
in reply to: #2139058

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland

gone - 2009-05-08 1:40 PM I will check that out, sounds perfect.  Its very hard to train out here in the heat to improve.  It almost comical how slow I feel and inefficient. Its almost distracting.  How hot is it again in Kona?  Like 86 degrees, I believe, that might be tolerable, but this 90+ to 100+ is unbelievable...I really hope it cools down before the race...anything!  I would take a couple of degrees just to mentally feel better about it...I believe I am doing a great job with my nutrition...I have upped the sodium, I dont feel or ever percieve myself to be dehydrated, its just another animal.  What's the golden rule about temps, that when running your body will be about 10 degrees -15 degrees warmer than the outside temp?  Obviously that is not true out here because you would be dead, but because its so dry, you barely sweat, there is no cool down.  The way I am looking at it, it can only help me be more prepared to return to Chicago and deal with Chicago's hot 86 degree day and be so much more comofrtable with it than I would before.  I hope everyone is well and safe.

Kona's normally around 86 for a high but it can get a little hotter on the lava and the street because the heat just radiates off.  The heat is a challenge, but everyone is racing under the same conditions.  If you are a good athlete in Illinois, you are a good athlete in Arizona. :-)  Go rock that race.  Stay hydrated.  Dump cups of cold water on your head.  They might have ice water sponges out on the course as well.  You can tuck those in your shirt, under your hat, etc.  I haven't been wearing hats in races lately though because it just keeps in all the heat that I am trying to dissipate.

Stay within yourself.  Be willing to make adjustments during the race.

You can hang with the boys, they are not super human.

Edited by kalalau 2009-05-11 1:46 PM
2009-05-11 1:50 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland

Weather reports for our two races:

6:30am Phoenix AZ around 76 degrees, probably around 80-81 when you finish.  Hot but you can do this, it's not 100. :-)

Columbia low of 63 around race time, rising to 75 in the middle of the day.  Probably be racing in the 60s most of the day.  Good racing weather, though it's hard to tell yourself that you don't want it warmer, when you are walking around chilly in the morning, and you know you have to jump in that cold water!

2009-05-11 6:21 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland

There is a great thread on being fast in transitions here:

Free Speed

2009-05-12 5:38 PM
in reply to: #2143813

User image

Randolph, NJ
kalalau - 2009-05-11 2:40 AM

abbiesue - 2009-05-08 8:19 PM OK i just have to say i am HOOKED! Had the first triathlon ride tonight. It was friggin' AWESOME!!!!!! It was the first time I rode in a group ride and everyone was great. I saw areas of Randolph I have never seen before...beautiful farms and wonderful fields!!!! I can not wait till next friday to do it all again! Plus I feel great...only 4 big hill but i was able to manage them all! The more I do it the better i will get! WOOO-HOOO.....sorry i just had to share!

Apparently I can no longer post from my cell phone, that is bizarre.  I wanted to respond to this over the weekend, it's exciting! :-)  I'm happy that you have gotten hooked, your race is going to be AWESOME!!  Did you meet folks who are also doing the race?

Yes i did mt some great people who are also doing the race. I also met more the following day at the savvy cyclist class i took. I am getting really excited...2 months TODAY!!
2009-05-13 7:38 PM

User image

Chicago, IL
Hey Dave and Group...Dave, I appreciate the support and I know you are right...its really not that bad at 6:30, anything after 8am is already pretty brutal, but will have to manage.  I went to the Danskin SheROX all women's triathlon last Saturday to get a sneak peak at what the Tempe Tri wll look like...same format and everything.  It should be a lot of fun.  Phoenix seems to ooze triathletes.  I am really looking forward to it.  I feel great about my condition, I just know I have not been able to improve much on anything specific.  The bike is going to make all the difference in the world, so I just feel ready this time, no anxiety as prior to the first one lasst month.

Just so you all know, I am not trying to hide it, I am going to eat lke 20 Jack in the Box tacos after the race...it won't be pretty and I know its not going to feel good AFTER I eat them, but man...oh and have a a cold beer...I cannot wait...I hope everyone is doing well and that your training is going as planned.  I wish I could be in Columbia to cheer you guys and girls on.  Be safe and take care...I will update you on the race specifics as son as I can...
2009-05-14 4:12 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland

You mean you haven't been eating 20 Jack in the Box tacos in training?  Darn, no wonder you're in the top 10 and I a lot further behind. :-)

Make sure you get good sleep tonight and tomorrow just in case you can't sleep the night before the race (me and Becky too).

The first race of the year is usually pretty nervous.  It doesn't help that the Columbia Triathlon thread is getting hammered with people obsessing over the race and the weather report.  I even got caught up in the "oh no, the transition area will be muddy!" craze. :-)  That said I think I will have an extra pair of socks on hand if I need to change them in T2.

I am not too excited about the prospect of a rainy bike course.  I was hoping to hammer it on the bike but that is impossible if I am not fearless on the downhills, which I am not, and will get worse with slick roads.

2009-05-15 12:12 PM
in reply to: #2151584

User image

Extreme Veteran
Fulton
Sorry I've been MIA lately!  Last week was the second to highest volume week in my training plan...next week is the most!  This week has been crazy with work, so I am glad I've had the "taper" excuse, even if I missed more workouts than I'd intended.  I'm so excited for Columbia, but VERY nervous.  I almost cried waiting for the gun to go off at my first marathon -- I was so nervous...I hope it's not that bad for my first tri.  I am very confident about the distances, but open water and transitions will be new experiences.  Eeek!

Abbie - That's so awesome that you are loving your group rides so far.  I'll report back after this weekend and tell you how awesome my first race is, even if I make mistakes and totally suck.  ;-)

Dave - Good luck in Phoenix!  Sounds like you are prepared to have a great race.  Apparently I also had training all wrong in that I eat chipotle all the time during training.  guess I missed that memo about waiting until after the race for a large bolus of food. 

Mentor Dave - I think we're going to head to Columbia tomorrow in time to go to the 3pm race briefing and drop off our bikes.  I'm not sure how much time we'll have to kill, but we are intending to go to the BT group dinner at 6pm.  It sounds like fun!  I think Steve might be there too. 

Hope everyone has a great weekend!!
2009-05-15 8:38 PM

User image

Randolph, NJ
Good Luck to all of you racing this weekend!

Becky - I want to hear all about ur 1st tri! ...the good, the bad...and any ugly!

2009-05-15 8:47 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland

Thanks Abby!

Becky, just avoid wearing your wetsuit on the bike, and you will still avoid having a story like mine. :-)

I'm still pretty starstruck after talking to, taking a picture with, and having my arm around Chrissie Wellington.  Wow.  She's really easy to talk to.  She seemed to be ok talking as long as someone else was conversing. :-)  Torrenzo was approachable too but I don't know him well enough to ask questions.

I don't know about the BT dinner yet.  Seems unlikely I will be in the area at that time.  Right now I am looking to hit the noon mtg and then drop the bike off and I'm done!

Edited by kalalau 2009-05-15 8:48 PM
2009-05-15 8:52 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland

Dave if you are still looking for pros to follow, I just learned tonight that Chrissie Wellington has a blog:

Chrissie Wellington

And Terenzo Bozzone is on Twitter.

2009-05-15 9:47 PM
in reply to: #2154368

User image

Extreme Veteran
Fulton
kalalau - 2009-05-15 9:47 PM

Thanks Abby!

Becky, just avoid wearing your wetsuit on the bike, and you will still avoid having a story like mine. :-)

I'm still pretty starstruck after talking to, taking a picture with, and having my arm around Chrissie Wellington.  Wow.  She's really easy to talk to.  She seemed to be ok talking as long as someone else was conversing. :-)  Torrenzo was approachable too but I don't know him well enough to ask questions.

I don't know about the BT dinner yet.  Seems unlikely I will be in the area at that time.  Right now I am looking to hit the noon mtg and then drop the bike off and I'm done!

You got to talk to her AND touch her?!?  I'm so jealous.  Stupid work preventing me from being in Columbia at 3pm today.  Hrumph.  I'd have loved a signature or picture.  :-(
2009-05-15 10:12 PM
in reply to: #2154451

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland

ras26 - 2009-05-15 10:47 PM
You got to talk to her AND touch her?!?  I'm so jealous.  Stupid work preventing me from being in Columbia at 3pm today.  Hrumph.  I'd have loved a signature or picture.  :-(

Yeah she even had posters out, and was signing them.  She says "Anything is possible!  With Smiles, Chrissie."

I don't know what their schedule is tomorrow, but from what I hear, they are pretty available after the races.  You can probably get a hug if you told her she was your biggest fan. :-)  She does fly out Sunday though, so I don't know how that plays in.

They did the get-together session at 6pm tonight, not 3.  I didn't even get there til 6:50 and they were all still chatting away with people.

2009-05-16 10:06 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland

That's funny, I don't see instructions for the stickers in our packet.  Well, I was confused when I was a newbie, so just in case, here's what they are..

The smallest sticker goes on the front of your helmet. 

The bigger sticker with your number listed twice, goes on your bike.  You wrap it around your top tube, and stick it to itself, so your number is visible on both sides of the bike.  Make sure this sticker doesn't hit your legs as you bike, that will be highly annoying and might even cause chafing.  Some people will put this sticker on their seat post, thinking it's more aerodynamic.  That seems allowed, and I've done it at times if I can fit it there while still putting my tool bag under the seat. 

Bib of course goes on your bib belt, which you will wear on the run.  I don't see a rule that says you wear it on the bike this year.  Some races ask you to wear it on the bike as well.

So, if they really don't care about us wearing it on the bike, I will probably just wear it just for the run.  Otherwise I will wear it under the wetsuit and wear it the whole race.

Looks like rain tonight!  Nice to have our bike sitting out overnight.  Let's just hope the swim isn't canceled due to tstorms (unlikely).  Whatever the forecast, remember that our thoughts and fears are ALWAYS worse than it really turns out.  Even if it rains the whole race, it will not be that bad once we get started.  Even the folks at Lake Placid last year in the Ironman where it rained 5 inches during the day, said it was ok being out there once you got used to it.

2009-05-16 12:01 PM
in reply to: #2154810

User image

Extreme Veteran
Fulton
kalalau - 2009-05-16 11:06 AM

That's funny, I don't see instructions for the stickers in our packet.  Well, I was confused when I was a newbie, so just in case, here's what they are..

The smallest sticker goes on the front of your helmet. 

The bigger sticker with your number listed twice, goes on your bike.  You wrap it around your top tube, and stick it to itself, so your number is visible on both sides of the bike.  Make sure this sticker doesn't hit your legs as you bike, that will be highly annoying and might even cause chafing.  Some people will put this sticker on their seat post, thinking it's more aerodynamic.  That seems allowed, and I've done it at times if I can fit it there while still putting my tool bag under the seat. 

Bib of course goes on your bib belt, which you will wear on the run.  I don't see a rule that says you wear it on the bike this year.  Some races ask you to wear it on the bike as well.

So, if they really don't care about us wearing it on the bike, I will probably just wear it just for the run.  Otherwise I will wear it under the wetsuit and wear it the whole race.

Thanks for the instructions.  I actually found them on the website yesterday, but they weren't as apparent as I would have assumed they'd be, so I appreciate the input.  I'd have put the important things on the front page in big bold letters, not in a tiny link on the sidebar, but oh well.  I printed them out so I can study them.  :-)
2009-05-16 12:20 PM

User image

Expert
Glen Burnie, Maryland
Hey guys,

Good luck with your race this weekend.

I'm jealous about Chrissie wellington. My daughter had a make-up softball game so I couldn't make it yesterday.

If the weather isn't too bad tomorrow I'm going to come down and watch for a while.
2009-05-16 8:18 PM

I'm ready, can we get going?
2009-05-17 2:20 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Fulton
Hey Abbie, I'll post all the details later (it wasn't all pretty) but all in all...awesome!!

Thanks, Steve, for coming out and taking pictures and supporting everyone! 
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » kalalau's Group - FULL for now Rss Feed  

of 38