Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 46

2010-01-20 6:06 AM
in reply to: #2555870

User image

Expert
Subject: RE: Experior's Group - CLOSED
http://xterrawetsuits.com/promo/?utm_source=jan19blast&utm_medi... />
xterra is having a $99 sale on wetsuits, if anyone is looking for one.

2010-01-20 6:45 AM
in reply to: #2623422

User image

Expert
Charlottesville, Virginia
slow turtle - 2010-01-20 7:06 AM http://xterrawetsuits.com/promo/?utm_source=jan19blast&utm_medi... />

Thanks Heidi.  I've seen that sale before, but don't know much about wetsuits.  Somehow I've managed to avoid the issue for the last 3 years, but a couple of the races this year would probably benefit from one.  I'd appreciate any suggestions / thoughts / experiences before pulling the trigger, especially with regard to sleeveless vs. sleeved.

Also, been learning a bunch from the Racing Weight book.  Decided to start logging my eating habits at least for the next two weeks.  Just doing that has made some changes in my eating decisions already.  When I have a chance, I'll summarize some things from the book that I found insightful.

Off to do a six mile run before the rain / ice begins and the January thaw is over... nice while it lasted though!  Have a great day everyone.

-Stu
2010-01-20 8:10 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Oshawa, Ontario
It was an eye opener when I started logging my meals last year. I thought I was consuming enough protein but it turned out I was getting in too much Carbs and fat. Reason I started logging my meals was because I had a hard time recovering after my May marathon, my thighs were sore for over a month and that didn't make any sense to me. I tried cross training on the bike with easy sessions just to get the blood flowing but that didn't work so I started looking at my nutrition. I adjusted my diet and two weeks latter my legs were back to normal. And I thought my diet was well balance, turn out it wasn't. That proved to me that I need to log my meals, if not all the time at least do it periodically for a few days, assess and adjust. That was my lesson learned.

Did easy three miler last night, had my 900m swim this morning. I'm starting to get in a rythm again, enjoying every workout and looking forward to the next.

My swimming is coming along just great, my first two weeks of program is concentrate on staying long with full strokes. My last two workouts I stayed long throughout the session. Starting Friday I'll be concentrating on the catch and keeping my head down.

- Sylvain
2010-01-20 8:14 AM

User image

Champion
Columbia, South Carolina
Morning all.

What on the table today?

Crazy day for me.  I did a trainer 'ride' this morning, will swim later, and long run this evening.  I'll be wiped out by then!

Wetsuits:  I don't know much about them.  I've heard, and sort of experienced (by trying on, not by owning!) myself, that you pretty much get what you pay for.  The higher-end wetsuits will be more flexible, especially in the crucial areas (shoulders).  I managed to find a used one that fits me well, so was able to get a little more suit for my limited money.  It definitely makes me faster.

My only two suggestions are:  (1) try on several brands if you can; they fit differently.  (2) if you go for a lower end suit, you might consider going sleeveless to make up for the comparatively less flexibility in the shoulders of lower end suits.  Unless you are swimming in frigid waters, I don't think that the loss of the sleeves will have much negative effect if any.  BUT:  As I said at the outset, I don't know much about wetsuits!

2010-01-20 8:29 AM

User image

Expert
I also have limited wetsuit knowledge. I rented one from Xterra a couple of years ago. It had sleeves, and definately tired my arms out.
I'm not sure they're ever worth it for a sprint distance.
Last year I did a sprint with water temps so cold, the race organizers avoided giving us a definate temperature. It had to be 60 at best. I was the only woman in my AG  that didnt wear a wetsuit. I came out of the water 11/12. But, got on my bike quickly while every one else struggled with their wetsuits. Finished the bike 7/12, and I'm pretty sure that is all time I made up in t1.

So, I guess what I'm saying is that, if I got one, it would be sleeveless. And, I wouldn't both for sprint distance races.
2010-01-20 9:03 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
St. Louis
Short 3.5 mile run this morning. Backing off this week has really been a good thing. I have much more energy and the run this morning was a little faster. Again,"faster" is a relative term. My RHR in back down into the upper 40's. Down side, weight loss slowing down. Plan on finishing the recovery week, take the weekend off, hit the 1/2 mary training hard again next week, and get on bike again. Have "indoor Tri's" scheduled for 1/30 and 2/28.

Well, that sums it up for me.

Phil 

Edited by StlPhil 2010-01-20 9:04 AM

2010-01-20 9:26 AM
in reply to: #2623652

User image

Expert
Salem
slow turtle - 2010-01-20 6:29 AM I also have limited wetsuit knowledge. I rented one from Xterra a couple of years ago. It had sleeves, and definately tired my arms out.
Last year I did a sprint with water temps so cold, the race organizers avoided giving us a definate temperature. It had to be 60 at best. I was the only woman in my AG  that didnt wear a wetsuit. I came out of the water 11/12. But, got on my bike quickly while every one else struggled with their wetsuits. Finished the bike 7/12, and I'm pretty sure that is all time I made up in t1.

So, I guess what I'm saying is that, if I got one, it would be sleeveless. And, I wouldn't both for sprint distance races.

I have a sleeveless Xterra; rented my first two.  The seelveless works for me.  I may purchase a full this spring as when my club begins swimming at the Reservior it will be cold.  They are not all that expensive.  I found in most races you almost have your suit off by the time you reach T1 so it doesn't take that much time to get it off if you have prepared ahead of time; like practicing T1 Transitions before races (which I do regularly) and put the necessary glide on so it comes off easier.  A little trick others have showed me is upon exit to reach up and grab your neck area so water gets in and begins to travel down your body to your leg areas and it provides extra layer so the suit slips off faster at the ankles.

Another reason for the sleeveless is that I always have to use the restroom right before the race it never fails.  So if a restroom is available and close by and I have my wetsuit on, getting a sleeveless pulled back on is much easier than a full after it is wet.
2010-01-20 10:01 AM
in reply to: #2623422

User image

Regular
slow turtle - 2010-01-20 7:06 AM http://xterrawetsuits.com/promo/?utm_source=jan19blast&utm_medi... />

If anyone is interested in the Vortex 3 fullsuit, the BT discount is slightly better ($50 less): http://www.xterrawetsuits.com/special/login_code.php (Enter BT on this link).  The sleeveless suit is the same price.

All of my races here will be wetsuit eligible, so I bought a fullsuit. 

I got my lifting in this morning and am headed to the pool for another round of TI drills at lunch. 

- Mark
2010-01-20 12:48 PM

User image

Expert
West Palm Beach, FL
Hey Folks,
Took yesterday off and got a nice hour & half ride in this AM. I should have no problem hitting 400 minutes of tri sports this week which feels wonderfully normal.

My ride went right past the beach today and it was glassy flat and crystal clear. It's been ages since I last swam so I really want to squeeze one in the next couple of days. I only swim in the ocean so I use a wetsuit from Nov. until late April. I found a used XL QR suit on ebay for $40 and I've more than gotten my money out of it the last year +. Having borrowed a friend's sleeved wetsuit I much prefer sleeveless for the increased mobility in the shoulders. Unless you're in water thats lower than the mid 60s I think you'll be plenty warm in a sleeveless, and that's coming from an admitted WWW (warm water wussie). A winter wetsuit is almost a requirement here in SoFla because of the typical east winds and the man o' war that come with it. I'll even wear a full sleeve rash guard under my wetsuit to give a little extra protection against stings.

The other big winter threat we get are spinner sharks. They migrate southwards down the Atlantic coast following baitfish looking for warmer waters. You'll find 500 to 1000 sharks in loose aggregations from a few yards to a quarter mile off shore. Attacks are rare, but I avoid ocean swims when they're in season

2010-01-20 4:21 PM
in reply to: #2624374

User image

Expert
The other big winter threat we get are spinner sharks. They migrate southwards down the Atlantic coast following baitfish looking for warmer waters. You'll find 500 to 1000 sharks in loose aggregations from a few yards to a quarter mile off shore. Attacks are rare, but I avoid ocean swims when they're in season

Next time I visit my Mom, I'll leave out the OW swim in the Gulf.  Maybe it was better not knowing these things...
2010-01-20 5:06 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
West Chester, PA
Well, the good news is that it isn't skin cancer...the bad news is that I have to go back to the dermatologist next week so they can carve out some more skin on my shoulder...  Better get my swims in while I can!

Scout

2010-01-20 5:32 PM
in reply to: #2624964

User image

Champion
Columbia, South Carolina
juneapple - 2010-01-20 5:21 PM

Next time I visit my Mom, I'll leave out the OW swim in the Gulf.  Maybe it was better not knowing these things...

x2.

I do swim off the coast of SC several times per year.  One of the first few times I did it, I turned to breathe and was literally eye to eye with a dolphin.  I mean, I could see its eye, even in the murky waters of the Atlantic.  It turns out I was in the middle of around 10 of them.  (Not for long -- they took no interest in me and were soon well ahead.)  That's when it hit home that there are large creatures in that water, and it's their home not mine!  I grew up in Wisconsin so I'm used to being around large creatures (cows in that case), but only on my own turf (metaphorically and literally!).

2010-01-20 5:33 PM
in reply to: #2625030

User image

Champion
Columbia, South Carolina
scout21 - 2010-01-20 6:06 PM Well, the good news is that it isn't skin cancer...the bad news is that I have to go back to the dermatologist next week so they can carve out some more skin on my shoulder...  Better get my swims in while I can!

Scout

Simultaneously glad and sorry to hear that, Scout.  Tough week. 
2010-01-20 8:53 PM

User image

Expert
Salem
Greetings Everyone,

Kind of disappointed with not being able to get my swim in this evening.  Too much to do this evening and not the right timing to do it later.  Oh well, Saturady is our local Tri Club Meeting and we have a swim clinic going on so I'll be able to get some of it done there.  I also have the 1.5 hr Indoor Cycling Class that morning as well so it is going to be a busy next few days (thus - Sun); 2 sessions of running; 2 sessions of Indoor Cycling and one swimming.  I think that more than makes up for a missed workout.  I'd better enjoy the time this evening.
2010-01-20 10:00 PM
in reply to: #2623652

User image

Expert
slow turtle - 2010-01-20 9:29 AM I also have limited wetsuit knowledge. I rented one from Xterra a couple of years ago. It had sleeves, and definately tired my arms out.

So, I guess what I'm saying is that, if I got one, it would be sleeveless. And, I wouldn't bother for sprint distance races.

I was kind of leaning toward the sleeveless for the range of motion as well (not to mention $100 less).  I agree about the Sprints.  But I'm thinking of doing an early May HIM with predicted low-mid 60s, so it seemed like the time to look into it.  I grew up in the NE at a local pool that was spring fed and it never got above 68 or so... always a good home pool advantage in swim meets, especially early and late season.  Always loved seeing the faces of our competitors after they hit the 62 degree water.  Of course, we griped at early morning swim practice all the time.  Now however, I am a southern pup (and old) and 70 feels right cold. 

Have fun in Florida... I'm heading there in a week myself... warm it up for me!

-Stu
2010-01-21 6:54 AM

User image

Champion
Columbia, South Carolina
Good morning everyone.  What's on tap for today?

For me, yesterday was near-epic (given my current fitness), so today I'm taking it easy.  I'll do a short bike tonight.

Have fun all you Florida-travelers.  It's warm here (70+ yesterday) so I'd guess it is pretty nice there right now  (Pete?)

2010-01-21 8:39 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
West Chester, PA
Headed out shortly for a 5 or 6 mile run.  Too much going on this morning to make it to the pool.

As an aside - What kind of wetsuit do you all have, if you have one.  Full sleeve or sleeveless.  I have a full sleeve Neosport and used it 6 or so times last year between OWS and races.  I'm having a bit of buyers remorse thinking that I should have gotten sleeveless.  I'm thinking of putting it up on ebay and getting a sleeveless...

Scout
2010-01-21 9:17 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
St. Louis
Continue to enjoy a relaxed recovery week. 1700m swim this morning and will get an easy 3.5 mile run this afternoon.

Phil
2010-01-21 10:21 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Oshawa, Ontario
Today, I'm trying to stay away from BT. Spending waaaay too much time here, I think I'm addicted.

Have speedwork scheduled for tonight with a total of 6 miles. Should be fun, have not done speedwork in a while. Then up early in the morning for 1200m swim.

I don't have wetsuit, planning on renting this year. What's the experience out there with rentals? I seen some comments about using some kind lubricant to remove during T1, can someone explain this process.

thanks
Sylvain
2010-01-21 11:59 AM
in reply to: #2625949

User image

Champion
Columbia, South Carolina
scout21 - 2010-01-21 9:39 AM Headed out shortly for a 5 or 6 mile run.  Too much going on this morning to make it to the pool.

As an aside - What kind of wetsuit do you all have, if you have one.  Full sleeve or sleeveless.  I have a full sleeve Neosport and used it 6 or so times last year between OWS and races.  I'm having a bit of buyers remorse thinking that I should have gotten sleeveless.  I'm thinking of putting it up on ebay and getting a sleeveless...

Scout

I have a middle of the line Zoot wetsuit, with sleeves -- I forget the specific model name.  I'm happy with it.  The shoulders are tight, but not ridiculously tight, and once I get past the first 100m or so it feels fine.  I think it just takes 100m or so to work its way into the optimum spot.

I've used it in only a few races -- very few races around here are wetsuit legal.

Frankly, although I am working hard to become a faster swimmer, when it comes to the race, I just want to get out of the water in some reasonable time feeling reasonably good.  As I heard someone say once "I swim because it's the only way to get to my bike".  That's not quite me -- I enjoy swimming -- but I have no illusions of grandeur on the swim.
2010-01-21 12:09 PM
in reply to: #2626230

User image

Champion
Columbia, South Carolina
sstucker - 2010-01-21 11:21 AM Today, I'm trying to stay away from BT. Spending waaaay too much time here, I think I'm addicted. Have speedwork scheduled for tonight with a total of 6 miles. Should be fun, have not done speedwork in a while. Then up early in the morning for 1200m swim. I don't have wetsuit, planning on renting this year. What's the experience out there with rentals? I seen some comments about using some kind lubricant to remove during T1, can someone explain this process. thanks Sylvain

I've never rented one, but it does sound like a pretty good way to try it out.  You could try a sleeved and sleeveless and see what feels better.

Lots of people lubricate their ankles and wrists (with various things, from cooking oil spray to Body Glide) to help get the wetsuit off.  Apparently some wetsuits might have a problem with some lubricants, so you'd want to check that the lubricant isn't going to melt the wetsuit first.  (Body Glide should be safe on anything.)

I used Body Glide the first few times, and found that it made no difference -- it's just as easy to get off either way, with some practice.  I can have mine stripped to the waist before I get to T1, and then it's just another 10-15s to get it off all the way.   This makes the wetsuit an overall time-saver for me, as I'm around 8s/100 quicker with it.  (That's because I'm a slow and untalented swimmer -- better swimmers tend to be helped less by the wetsuit and so the cost/benefit analysis is different for them.)

I think that the best way to practice is under 'realistic' conditions (as close as you can get).  In other words, be sure you are physically tired, and try to go fast.  Every time that I've practiced swimming OWS in my wetsuit (which isn't very often, alas), I've made it a point to run out of the water and strip the wetsuit as quickly as possible.  I'm sure this looks silly to people on shore, but it is a good simulation of the race.

Edited by Experior 2010-01-21 12:10 PM

2010-01-21 12:49 PM

User image

Veteran
DC
Michael, your workout yesterday was indeed epic.  Impressive time on the run.  Out of curiosity, what is the DOMS storm?

I did an easy run of 30 minutes today. It's a bit of a chore to prevent myself from going out and running fast, but I have to start slow if I'm going to prevent injuries.  Slow and steady for now...

I'm heading to the pool tonight for an easy 'endurance' swim.  The good thing about the extra weight that I've put on over the last few weeks is that I'll be extra buoyant.

2010-01-21 2:42 PM
in reply to: #2626230

User image

Expert
Salem
sstucker - 2010-01-21 8:21 AM Today, I'm trying to stay away from BT. Spending waaaay too much time here, I think I'm addicted. Have speedwork scheduled for tonight with a total of 6 miles. Should be fun, have not done speedwork in a while. Then up early in the morning for 1200m swim. I don't have wetsuit, planning on renting this year. What's the experience out there with rentals? I seen some comments about using some kind lubricant to remove during T1, can someone explain this process. thanks Sylvain

I rented twice last year before purchasing an Xterra Sleeveless.  I rented from Wetsuitrental.com.  One fo teh BT Sponsors.  They are out of Washington State so very close for me with shipping an all.  Great company to work with.  They were extra helpful and you can rent for additional days for a slightly higher amt., but well woth it when you hadn't used one before.  I may rent a full this spring to use for practice in the cold Reservior we swim for our Tri Club or purchase another one that is a full; at least until is warms up some.

Body glide is what I used last year.  Pretty standard, but may try some other products this year.  Used around the shoulders and neck area, up the ankles and shins and lower arm pits with a sleeveless; with a full makes sense around the wrists as well.
2010-01-21 3:53 PM
in reply to: #2626744

User image

Champion
Columbia, South Carolina
Stone Cutter - 2010-01-21 1:49 PM Michael, your workout yesterday was indeed epic.  Impressive time on the run.  Out of curiosity, what is the DOMS storm?

DOMS = Delayed Onset Muscle Soreness.  (It's a common acronym in exercise science articles.  Sorry -- my geekiness coming through again.)

2010-01-21 5:29 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
West Chester, PA
I wound up putting my suit up on ebay this afternoon...

Scout
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Experior's Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 46