BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Disturbed275's Group - FULL!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 26

2010-02-15 9:32 PM
in reply to: #2674424

User image

Master
Elgin, IL
Subject: RE: Disturbed275's Group - FULL!!
Jack,

Was wondering if you could give an update on your Garmin 310xt.  I have the 405, but it is not waterproof so if I want to wear it during races, I have to put it on it transition.  I like the flexibility the 310xt offers being waterproof so you can wear it the whole race.  It is huge though?  Do you get used to it? Do you have the quick release mount for the bike?  How does that work to take it on the run?

Thanks

2010-02-16 12:00 PM
in reply to: #2674601

User image

Veteran
Here is a link to my review.
http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/gear/review.asp?reviewid=2801

I think its too large to wear during the swim.  I don't think the swim info is that important and I can see someone kicking it off your wrist unless you put it under your wetsuit.  I toyed with the idea of fastening it too my gogles on my head but that is just too wierd. 

I have the quick release for my bike and it works great.  The way it works is that you have a bike mount that is attached by wire ties and the watch body quick connects to the bike mount by a quarter turn and clicks in place.  I've rode with this and it works fine.  The bike mount locates the ride information one the stem by the handlebars.    I like having the data located there so I can easily see it and scroll through the up to 5 screens of data.

When its time to run you simple twist the watch body off the bike mount and attached it to the wrist band that has the same quarter turn connection.  The 310 can be programmed to automatically switch over to run mode, but I have worked that out yet.  If you buy it be careful to purchase the 310 mounts and not the 305 they are not interchangable.

The original band that comes with the watch has to be disconnected to add the quick mount device to the watch body.  They give you tools to do it.  The quickmount wrist band is not as flexible or cool looking as the original band but it works just fine.  The size is something I got used to fairly quickly on the run, and the size is not an issue on the bike.  The larger screen helps me see the numbers with my old man eyes, and the battery life is great (20 hours). Some reviews say that the watch can fall out when biking, but if its clipped in correctly I don't believe that is a valid concern.

I plan to mount it on my bike and transfer it to my wrist for my next race.  I look at the clock for swim info. 
2010-02-16 1:04 PM
in reply to: #2675571

User image

Master
Elgin, IL
I guess I was trying to avoid the whole attaching during transition to save time.  So either grabbing my 405 to use during the run and just having a bike computer is fine, or the 310xt but be weary of the swim.  It is nice that the screen is bigger.

Thanks
2010-02-16 1:08 PM
in reply to: #2556283

User image

Master
Elgin, IL
Got a protein question:  I know Chris said breakfast like a king, lunch like a pheasant, dinner like a pauper . . . working good so far.  However, most workouts are at night and I have heard to always eat a protein bar or something with 30grams of protein after.  So that isn't really considered a meal right?  My swim ends at 9pm, so that is when I am grabbing a bar.

Also, I have been using power bar protein bars (23 gram of protein) and premium nutrition protein bars (30 grams of protein).  Anyone have any other favorites?  I prefer the peanut butter flavor.  Not fond of the chocolate flavors.  Is there anything specific you look for in bars?

Thoughts????
2010-02-16 2:11 PM
in reply to: #2675723

User image

Champion
Knoxville area
carrie639 - 2010-02-16 2:08 PM Got a protein question:  I know Chris said breakfast like a king, lunch like a pheasant, dinner like a pauper . . . working good so far.  However, most workouts are at night and I have heard to always eat a protein bar or something with 30grams of protein after.  So that isn't really considered a meal right?  My swim ends at 9pm, so that is when I am grabbing a bar.

Also, I have been using power bar protein bars (23 gram of protein) and premium nutrition protein bars (30 grams of protein).  Anyone have any other favorites?  I prefer the peanut butter flavor.  Not fond of the chocolate flavors.  Is there anything specific you look for in bars?

Thoughts????

workout under an hour at night = gel / some fruit / sport drink
an hour or over = actual "recovery" nutrition. I'd go for something in the realm of 200 calories if it was going to be around bedtime. Keep in mind protein can keep some people up.
2010-02-16 3:02 PM
in reply to: #2675879

User image

Master
Elgin, IL
 . . .  but recovery nutrition with protein in it.  Any average grams we should be shooting for?

2010-02-17 7:18 AM
in reply to: #2675571

User image

Master
Elgin, IL
So how is the watch attached durin the swim?  Run?  Are you wearing a separate band that the face of the watch clicks into?  If so, I could see how it would get kicked off during a swim.
2010-02-17 7:19 AM
in reply to: #2675989

User image

Champion
Knoxville area
it sort of depends on how the rest of the day looked. Ideally your protein should be high enough throughout the day that you shouldn't really be worried about "x" grams after a late workout. If everything has looked good through the day I'd say you'd be fine with anything  8 grams or above.... (skim if you want to cut the fat) chocolate milk comes to mind pretty quickly as a good solution.
2010-02-17 9:58 AM

User image

Veteran
Chicago, IL

Transition Question:

When I go to set up transition on Saturday is there typically a single place that you'll be for T1 & T2, or are they different locations? I'm thinking they're usually the same location?

If they are at the same place, do you just set your bike shoes, running shoes, socks, etc all in a line ready to go, or do you just get your bike stuff ready and then set up the run stuff during T1 or even just grab it out of a bag at T2?

How neatly do you need to put away the wetsuit at T1? I see a lot of complaints to not spread stuff all over, but seems like it would take forever to neatly fold the wetsuit.

I hate the look of my tri shirt. What is the technical advantage of a tri shirt vs a technical running T? Obviously, I'd have to put the T on at T1, but it just looks so much less wife-beater ghetto than the tri-shirt does on me.

Any other points & tips? 

Edited by randomguymike 2010-02-17 9:58 AM
2010-02-17 1:39 PM
in reply to: #2677228

User image

Master
Elgin, IL
Definitely set up your transition before the race.  The race info. should tell you if there is 1 transition area for T1 and T2.  Most are 1 transition area, but make sure (I haven't wanted to sign up for 2 transition area races).

I haven't raced much, but I got compliments from veterans on my set up that then had to go back and check their own set up.

First of all, I would definitely practice a transition at home.  Sounds silly, but will help you understand how to set up the transition area or in what order to put things on and give you and idea of how quickly you can do things.

I usually put a towel down underneath or in front of/behind my bike if there is room.  The towel gives you a place to place everything and also dry your feet from the water if you need to.  I would set up items in the order you will put them on.  For instance, I would put my glasses, gloves, gels/blocks inside my bike helmet (I couldn't get my helmet on without grabbing this stuff, so I wouldn't forget anything).  I would put my socks in my cycling shoes (if you need socks).  Again, set them on the towel in the order you put them on (some people put their helmet on their bike). 

I would put the run stuff at the back. I just tossed my wetsuit, but made sure it was in my spot and not infringing on others space (space in minimal!!!!!).

Also, put your transition bag where it won't infringe on your getting ready or changing for transitions.  Anything you use before the race or after or don't need during the race, put back in the bag.  So I put the body glide on before transition, then threw it back in my bag.  Anything out that is not needed will just confuse you and cost you time, I find transition areas are not times for clear thinking, just get everything and GO!!!

If you do wear socks at all I have heard to roll them sort of inside out so they are easier to get on.

If you have the luxury, get to transition early and try to get an end spot.  It will ensure you have a little bit more room and that you will find your bike quicker than it being in the middle of the rack.

Hope this helps, love to hear how it all goes.  I have an indoor tri next weekend.
2010-02-17 1:49 PM
in reply to: #2677228

User image

Master
Elgin, IL
Oh yeh a couple more things, if you are coming from a sandy beach, maybe make sure there is water or something to wash your feet off with before putting shoes on.

Make sure your water bottles are already on your bike . . one less thing to worry about.

Also, your transition area is about 2' long x 1 1/2' wide ---- VERY SMALL

Pack your transition back the night before, not the morning of, less stress.  If you haven't already made a list for what you need for the race start writing it down now.  I even went so far as to list the order in which I did things in transition and memorized it --- think less.  Transitions can be stressful

2010-02-17 2:32 PM

User image

Veteran
Chicago, IL
oy. Yeah, last night was the first time I tied aything like a transition. Went from bike shoes w/o sox to running shoes with. I finally put my Yankz on my shoes and had a hell of a time with them last night. Got one on in 5 seconds, but the laces on the other got caught and it was a mess. Will try working that out tonight.

I am a little intimidated by the space issue. I can't get my running shoes on without sitting. I should be well behind most folks by that poitn, though. I anticipate I'll be fairly with the pack at T1, near dead last by T2 and hopefully toward the front of the slow people by the end.

I got my Desoto outfit, btw, and like the shorts. Not nearly as comfy as my bike shorts, but good. I just hate the shirt. Got black shorts, but went with white shirt(the mens cooler). Shows through way too easy, which I didn't expect from the shirt and just is ugly. Would not recommend.

2010-02-17 7:04 PM

User image

Champion
Knoxville area
Man, I had one of those days today... bummed out for some reason, even though training is going excellent. Got a tough workout finished today, but still... just felt down.

I think it might be the fact that it snows every single day haha.
2010-02-17 8:13 PM

User image

Champion
Ames, IA
Thanks for the info on setting up transition.  Here is what I have found that generally works for me.  Some of this will be a repeat of what Carrie said.

First off you will rack your bike on an aluminum bar along with several other bikes.  You can rack it either by resting the handlebars of the bike on the rack or the nose of seat, whichever works.  Personally I prefer to rack it by the seat so its facing the direction that I'm ready to run.  The area under your bike and about a 1-2 foot space to one side OR the other is generally all you will need to set up.

I will bring a towel to set down alongside the bike.  At the top end (the end furthest from me) of the towel I will place my running shoes.  I leave the tongue open for easy entry and will sprinkle some baby powder inside to make them easier to slip into as well.   Under the shoes I will place my race number, which is attached to a race number belt.  I would highly recommend buying a race number belt.  They can be found for about 10 bucks and allow you to clip your number onto the belt rather than safety pin it to your shirt.  One caveat here is that some races will require the race number to be worn on the bike portion.  In that case the race number belt goes under my bike shoes.  Next, I place my cap/visor on top of my running shoes.  I will also leave any nutrition I am taking along on the run on the towel near the race belt

The bike shoes should be placed on the towel in front of the running shoes, with the clasps open for easy entry.  If you plan on wearing socks leave them on top of the shoes.  One tip I've found that works well for socks is to put them on before a race, then roll them down your foot to remove so you're left with a donut shape.  Then, come transition time, you stick your toes in the opening and roll the sock on.  It's much easier than tugging on a wet sock.

I also leave a bare spot of towel in front of the bike shoes to stand on and wipe the feet if necessary.  Some people will leave a water bottle to wash off their feet. 

I will usually leave my bike helmet resting on the ground in front of my bike shoes, with sunglasses on the inside.  Some people like to leave their helmet on their aerobars so they don't have to bend over to pick it.  I tried that once and it was knocked of my bike before I got to T1.  Any bike nutrition should already be attached in some way to the bike

With all that set up you should be able to come into T1, strip the wetsuit off if you're wearing one, put on the bike shoes, put on sunglasses, put on helmet, grab your bike and go.  T2 you will rack your bike, remove helmet and bike shoes (alternately you can learn a flying dismount so you don't have to worry about bike shoes in transition).  Then I usually just throw on my running shoes, grab my cap/visor, nutrition, and race number belt and go.  Cap and belt go on as I run out of transition.

One thing that will help with this is practice.  Set up a transition area and go through both T1 and T2 as sort of a mock trial.  You could even work this into an actual workout if you wanted to.
2010-02-17 10:10 PM
in reply to: #2678417

User image

Master
Elgin, IL
You might be getting depressed that you have that nice beautiful bike and can't get out side yet???

Hey, I signed up for the Taylorsville, KY aquabike on my way home from Knoxville.  Heard anything about this one?
2010-02-17 10:11 PM
in reply to: #2678522

User image

Master
Elgin, IL
Very detailed and gave me a few more ideas too.  I have never really done the run yet, so haven't had to worry about that.

2010-02-18 6:18 AM

User image

Veteran
I use a plastic milk crate to sit on and carry my gear. The crate goes over my run shoes on the towel. I see other folks using 5 gallon buckets too. I sit down to put my shoes on and its easier if you sit on a crate. It looks dorky but OK by me.
2010-02-19 8:58 AM

User image

Master
Elgin, IL
Here is a link to my local tri clubs checklist for races.  Might be usefule for some people

http://multisportmadness.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=56&Itemid=59
2010-02-19 5:59 PM

User image

Veteran
Chicago, IL

OK, if anyone happens to check this before the AM, any tips for swimming a straight line? Holy Cow.  As my training log notes, found myself turned 90 degrees from where I thought I was going a couple times today on my first OWS. I'd look up, but by the time I did, I was way off line every time.

Also, 60 degree water isn't as cold as I thought it'd be. I felt fine. I think I could even do it no wetsuit if I felt the need to.

2010-02-19 6:17 PM
in reply to: #2682744

Mike,
Good luck in your first tri! I have no tips on swimming straight as I have never tried open water swimming myself. Hopefully there will be someone you can follow.

2010-02-19 11:23 PM

User image

Champion
Ames, IA
randomguymike - 2010-02-19 5:59 PM

OK, if anyone happens to check this before the AM, any tips for swimming a straight line? Holy Cow.  As my training log notes, found myself turned 90 degrees from where I thought I was going a couple times today on my first OWS. I'd look up, but by the time I did, I was way off line every time.

Also, 60 degree water isn't as cold as I thought it'd be. I felt fine. I think I could even do it no wetsuit if I felt the need to.

You will probably want to look up every 3 or 4 strokes or so to make sure you are on course.  You should get the hang of it after awhile and may be able to sight every 5-6 or even more strokes.

In my experience I sight more often the beginning of a race to feel how my line is going.  If I can get away with sighting less I do.  I know this will be your first OWS experience so it will take some getting used to.  Just keep in mind that it will be more effective to look up every few stokes and make slight corrections than to not look up very much and have to correct a huge deviation from course.

2010-02-19 11:26 PM

User image

Champion
Ames, IA
Everyone make sure you stop by Mike's blog and give him some encouragement for tomorrow.  I am extremely jealous that you are racing already.  Hope your first tri is an incredible experience!
2010-02-20 12:23 PM

User image

Veteran
Chicago, IL
Thanks for the notes everyone. Just got back to the hotel from the race. Posted the summary in my training log. Will post a full race report when I get my swim times (hopefully tomorrow). I'm sure I crushed my goal time based on my run/bike splits. 

Three questions based on today. So, I can be ready for my next one.

In T1, it was a muddy mess since it rained last night. By the time I walked my bike out to the mounting area, my shoes (and cleats) were so covered in mud that I couldn't clip in for the whole bike. Any suggestions on getting around that? Is T1 typically a mess or are they typically on nice paved not mud pits?

When I got there it was pitch black and there were forms to fill out. Lots of folks had the mounted head lights. Anyone else find those useful? I'm thinking they wouldn't be as necessary in the summer when it's light out earlier, but just wondering.

Is there a good reason I should wear goggles in the swim? I found it much easier to sight without them today. Not sure if there's something I'm missing, though.

Edited by randomguymike 2010-02-20 12:36 PM
2010-02-20 12:26 PM

User image

Master
Elgin, IL

Hey, good luck . . . wear the wetsuit, you will get VERY cold by the end.

OWS are tough, but like everyone said, look up every 4-6 strokes. I usually try doing it in conjunction with lifting my head for breathing to not lose too much momentum.  Also, not a recommendation, but I do tend to follow kicks or people I see in front of me as long as I know they are sighting correctly.  Alot of times as you are are first looking for a buoy, they are very hard to sight from far away!!!  I HAVE BEEN KNOW TO YELL AT THE LIFEGUARDS AND ASK --- WHERE THE HELL ARE THE BUOYS Sealed

Another tip, put your goggles a little tighter then you would in the pool.  For some reason I think you can get water under them easier in open water and it might help keep them from getting kicked off if you run into someone.  Relax in the beginning as much as you can, nerves are very high at the start of the race.

Good luck and be sure to send a good summary of how it went tomorrow.  Since you have the first race it the group, I am sure we are all jealous.

Carrie

2010-02-20 5:42 PM
in reply to: #2683517

User image

Master
Elgin, IL
Hey great job!!!

I have had paved areas so far for transition, so no mud to worry about thank god.  Good thing, it races can only get better.  Think how much better you would've been clipped in!

I have only seen 1 person not wear goggles during the swim.  I actually wear open water goggles in races and OWS, and indoor goggles in the pool.  The reason for the difference is that the open water goggles have a much wider field of vision, so I not only see the feet in front of me, but I can also see people on the sides as well.  Much more easily adjusted as well, especially when I got them kicked off the first race.  Can't do that with pool goggles without turning your head.  Main reason for goggles - being able to keep your eyes open the whole time, but yes you are right you probably get a little blurry look when sighting. 

My waves have probably been 40-60 people.  First race I went out in the front/middle and got kicked cuz there was alot of men faster than me, but I ended up passing most of the people towards the middle of the race.  Second race, I went out in front (all women) and held it pretty good.  Had a woman next to me I kept pace with, should've dropped back and drafted off her.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Disturbed275's Group - FULL!! Rss Feed  

of 26