BT Development Mentor Program Archives » kenj's group - closed with a great bunch of triathletes in training!!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 29

2010-03-19 11:40 AM
in reply to: #2735767

Subject: RE: kenj's group - closed with a great bunch of triathletes in training!!!

Run tomorrow am, bike on Sunday...watch NCAA Basketball the remainder of the weekend!!  I don't know why I bother, my tourney bracket already looks like a train wreck and it's only been one day...

Go Bucks!

Edited by brm75 2010-03-19 11:41 AM

2010-03-19 2:31 PM
in reply to: #2578675

User image

Extreme Veteran
Normal, Ill.
Subject: RE: kenj's group - closed with a great bunch of triathletes in training!!!
Rest today, but I broke that with a 31 mile ride to the lake for fun.  Bike/run brick tomorrow, bike Sunday.  Have fun y'all.
2010-03-22 9:23 AM

User image

Regular
Kansas City, MO
iPods, what are your thoughts?

I was always pro-iPod and never worked out without it. But this weekend, my iPod wasn't charged, so I trudged out and took to the streets without it for a 35 mi bikeride and a 13.1 mile run.

Both the bike and run were the best I've done so far. W/o the iPod I felt more tuned into my body and realized that spikes in my HR were sometimes caused by the music pumping and me getting all amped up because of it.  

Never thought I'd ditch it when I run, but it looks like for the most part, I'm going to.

What are everyone else's thoughts? 
2010-03-22 9:54 AM
in reply to: #2739817

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY

ryanknapp - 2010-03-22 10:23 AM iPods, what are your thoughts?

I was always pro-iPod and never worked out without it. But this weekend, my iPod wasn't charged, so I trudged out and took to the streets without it for a 35 mi bikeride and a 13.1 mile run.

Both the bike and run were the best I've done so far. W/o the iPod I felt more tuned into my body and realized that spikes in my HR were sometimes caused by the music pumping and me getting all amped up because of it.  

Never thought I'd ditch it when I run, but it looks like for the most part, I'm going to.

What are everyone else's thoughts? 

I rarely run without it, although I will closer to a race to get used to it as I don't where it racing for the most part.  The only time I use it on the bike is when I am in the trainer, I don't feel comfortable that I will hear what I need to outside.  Coincidentally, I spent yesterday looking at Ipod systems for swimming.  I'm thinking with the longer distance stuff it may help with the redundancy of long pool swims.

To address your statement about being more aware without the music, I agree a lot of the time.  But I have had some runs that just couldn't get into for whatever reason that I wish I had it with me.

Good topic for discussion though!  What does everyone else think?

2010-03-22 10:09 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Normal, Ill.
Never on the bike outdoors.  On the run and trainer, the music is always good for extra efffort especially when I plan the LiveSTRONG theme.
2010-03-22 11:22 AM

User image

Out of the thousands of dollars I've spent tinkering in this sport, my best investment has been a pair of Oakley Thump sunglasses with the built-in MP3 player. Love them, love them. Like Ken and Scott, though, I never play music while biking outside but I couldn't live without it on the long training runs. However, I've only run 2 half marathons and the first one I played music most of the way. The second I was into the run so much that I forgot to turn them on until the end and beat my time by 5 minutes. Maybe it was the lack of music that did it. I don't know, Ryan, but you're making me think. I don't use the Thumps during triathlons - they're too expensive to be bumped around in transition.

Don't know if you read about the guy who was killed in South Carolina last week when running on the beach with his ipod and didn't hear a plane making a crash landing coming up on him. Some of the sites I'm subscribed to used his death as a statement to NEVER wear headphones and run. I think that's a little crazy. I think if you're running on a beach that's the perfect place to listen to music. What's the chances of being hit by an AIRPLANE?!? Any ways, just throwing that out there for you to chew on.

Train safe!

2010-03-22 1:26 PM

User image

Welllington, NZ
Hi guys,

Music players - never use them personally. I did for a while collect good songs with decent beats for running but stopped for some reason. On a run or ride, once i find a comfortable rythym i find i go into a nice mental zone where i think and ponder. Sometimes my brain will be active thinking about an issue or problem and othertimes it'll be relaxed and quiet.

I'm lucky that half of the time i manage to find a buddy to train with so on those occasions i enjoy the company and the other times i enjoy my own company. I do agree though that music makes great partner if you're on your own though!!!

Lewis.
2010-03-22 3:05 PM

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY

A couple of added items on the Ipod, for triathlons they are against the USAT rules, even for the run.  Since most triathlons have marshalls out on the course, odds are you will get caught and penalized.  Most running races have gotten to the point where they allow them (although they suggest leaving them at home).

I have had good races where I didn't bring them, races I brought them but never turned them on, others (mostly the marathons) where they saved me during dark patches and other times where they were just annoying.   

2010-03-22 3:07 PM
in reply to: #2740184

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY

bswcpa - 2010-03-22 12:22 PM Out of the thousands of dollars I've spent tinkering in this sport, my best investment has been a pair of Oakley Thump sunglasses with the built-in MP3 player. Love them, love them. Like Ken and Scott, though, I never play music while biking outside but I couldn't live without it on the long training runs. However, I've only run 2 half marathons and the first one I played music most of the way. The second I was into the run so much that I forgot to turn them on until the end and beat my time by 5 minutes. Maybe it was the lack of music that did it. I don't know, Ryan, but you're making me think. I don't use the Thumps during triathlons - they're too expensive to be bumped around in transition. Don't know if you read about the guy who was killed in South Carolina last week when running on the beach with his ipod and didn't hear a plane making a crash landing coming up on him. Some of the sites I'm subscribed to used his death as a statement to NEVER wear headphones and run. I think that's a little crazy. I think if you're running on a beach that's the perfect place to listen to music. What's the chances of being hit by an AIRPLANE?!? Any ways, just throwing that out there for you to chew on. Train safe!

Did you find the Thumps heavy?  I have looked at them online, but didn't really think they would work for me.  I have a small nose, and before I had the eye surgery, any heavier glasses I wore wound up at the end of my nose constanly and I would look like a little old lady!

2010-03-22 3:56 PM

User image

Regular
Kansas City, MO
Timberman 70.3 August 22, just paid my $$, now it's time to bring it.
2010-03-22 5:45 PM

User image

Ken - I don't find the Thumps too heavy. The ear piece for the MP3 player keeps them in place. My hubby got a pair first so I was able to try them out. He's large faced and I'm smaller faced and the exact pair fit us both.

Ryan - Now you're committed!! Seems like you have a great base to keep building upon. August 22 is 5 months from today so I have no doubt you'll be ready to tear the course up.

Lewis - I'm jealous that you have someone to do some training with. That sounds wonderful. Talking with a friend would be better than listening to music.

2010-03-23 7:44 AM
in reply to: #2741164

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY

ryanknapp - 2010-03-22 4:56 PM Timberman 70.3 August 22, just paid my $$, now it's time to bring it.

Good for you!!! Registering is a great motivator!!!

Have you given any thought to doing Musselman at some point?  Great race and close by (for me anyway!). 

2010-03-23 8:23 AM
in reply to: #2742111

User image

Regular
Kansas City, MO
kenj - 2010-03-23 7:44 AM

ryanknapp - 2010-03-22 4:56 PM Timberman 70.3 August 22, just paid my $$, now it's time to bring it.

Have you given any thought to doing Musselman at some point?  Great race and close by (for me anyway!). 

I just looked at it. I might do the sprint this year, but definitely doing the minimussle.  

100 yard swim
0.6 mile bikeride on a kids tricycle
0.2 sprint.

Looks fantastic to me. 
2010-03-23 8:33 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Normal, Ill.
Ryan, congrats on signing up.  My half IM is a couple of weeks later than that.

To the rest of you, who can talk when they run? :'0

2010-03-23 8:41 AM
in reply to: #2742268

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY

IceManScott - 2010-03-23 9:33 AM Ryan, congrats on signing up.  My half IM is a couple of weeks later than that.

To the rest of you, who can talk when they run? :'0

I run with my BIL  a lot on the weekends, we both do marathons and other local races so its nice to have company for the longer runs.  I don't know if it is running out of gas or running out of things to say, but usually by the 7 or 8 mile mark the head phones come out!

2010-03-23 8:46 AM
in reply to: #2742232

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY

ryanknapp - 2010-03-23 9:23 AM
kenj - 2010-03-23 7:44 AM

I just looked at it. I might do the sprint this year, but definitely doing the minimussle.  

100 yard swim
0.6 mile bikeride on a kids tricycle
0.2 sprint.

Looks fantastic to me. 

That does sound like fun.  The race director that runs Musselman (Jeff Henderson) is quite inventive when it comes to ways of making it a fun weekend.  Its too bad the ITU doesn't race as part of this race weekend anymore, it was always educating and entertaining to watch the pro's race.

Beginner Triathlete runs the aid station on the run for the mini mussel on Saturday.  I have done that the past couple of years.  Lots of fun and a great way to put a face to a cyber friend!

2010-03-23 11:14 AM

Subject: First so-called Tri
Maybe attempting my first (so-called) Tri this Sunday.
Its all indoors, pool, spinners/trainers, treadmills
Its a timed event apposed to a distance event. Your judged off of how much you can do in the allotted time of each stage.
Each stage is a 10 minute segment with the T1 being 10 minutes and T2 being 5 minutes.
Its not much but its a start, so work permitting. I think I'll give it a shot.
What's your thoughts on this kind of event?

Edited by DougJ 2010-03-23 11:15 AM
2010-03-23 11:57 AM
in reply to: #2742797

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
Subject: RE: First so-called Tri

DougJ - 2010-03-23 12:14 PM Maybe attempting my first (so-called) Tri this Sunday.
Its a timed event apposed to a distance event. Your judged off of how much you can do in the allotted time of each stage.
Each stage is a 10 minute segment with the T1 being 10 minutes and T2 being 5 minutes.

We have one of those up here every March! I have never done it but it is put on by a group at Rochester Institute of Technology at the college and the guy that runs our masters program is a professor there, so a bunch of the folks at masters swimming do it every year.  One of the reasons I haven't been able to do it is that it sells out so fast and I can never commit early enough!

It is differernt and other than the time in the pool and running, there isn't a lot of crossover to a normal tri, but if it gets you moving, why not?  Have fun with it!!!

2010-03-23 12:15 PM

User image

I did one at our Y last year. My goal was to do a competitve event each month and it was the only thing going on in my area in February. It wasn't well attended so I didn't have much competition but it ended up being fun. I'd say go for it, Doug. It'll get your heart rate up to be in competition and give you a jump start on the real tri season when it finally gets here in Indiana.
2010-03-23 9:21 PM
in reply to: #2742797

User image

Welllington, NZ
DougJ - 2010-03-24 6:14 AM Maybe attempting my first (so-called) Tri this Sunday.

Doug,

Sounds like fun to me and a great way to start! Good luck on your first event! I've signed up for mine on Sunday too - my first tri (a sprint).

Lewis.
2010-03-23 9:33 PM

User image

Enjoy your last days of preparation, Lewis. Hope you have a blast. Finish with a smile on your face and it'll all be good. Let us know how you did.

2010-03-23 9:40 PM
in reply to: #2744198

User image

Regular
Kansas City, MO
Good luck lewis, let us know how you do! Kick butt , take names.

Edited by ryanknapp 2010-03-23 9:40 PM
2010-03-24 4:06 AM

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY

Looking forward to seeing your results Lewis!  Have a lot of fun and enjoy the experience!!! You are going to be awesome!

2010-03-25 7:36 PM

User image

Did you decide to sign up for the indoor tri on Sunday, Doug? Just curious.
2010-03-26 4:03 AM

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY

Good luck to Lewis in his tri Sunday!!!  Also to Doug with his (assuming he has decided to do it!)

What does everyone else have planned?

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » kenj's group - closed with a great bunch of triathletes in training!!! Rss Feed  

of 29