BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Experior's Group, Take Two -- CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 40

2010-06-07 9:28 PM
in reply to: #2906644

User image

Expert
Charlottesville, Virginia
Subject: RE: Experior's Group, Take Two -- CLOSED
slow turtle - 2010-06-07 6:49 PM Okay- You've all inspired and motivated me. I've decided to go for it and sign up for the Northern Columbia Tri on Aug 6! I realize I'll probably have to walk part of the run (I did last year too.)
So, I'm focusing on the bike. Starting this week, my goal is to bike 3 times a week. One long ride, one hilly ride, and one extra- probably on the trainer.
-Heidi

WTG Heidi!  I'm a big advocate of walking on the run... lol.  At least you have a good reason :-)  Go get 'em!

2010-06-07 10:59 PM
in reply to: #2775149

User image

Extreme Veteran
Oshawa, Ontario
Just got back from short swim workout. Tested friend's wetsuit, it's a seadoo wetsuit but it will keep me warm on Sunday. The suit didn't restrict my shoulders at all, actually posted better avg times in my 6x50 and 6x100. Only problem with it it's not full body, has short sleeve and knee high. At least my core will be warm. The race does claim that the water is warm this time of year and maybe with the record breaking weather it just might be warmer then normal and they're calling for hot weather for the weekend (high 84).

Just a little excited!
2010-06-07 11:31 PM

CO
slow turtle - 2010-06-07 4:49 PM Okay- You've all inspired and motivated me. I've decided to go for it and sign up for the Northern Columbia Tri on Aug 6! I realize I'll probably have to walk part of the run (I did last year too.)
So, I'm focusing on the bike. Starting this week, my goal is to bike 3 times a week. One long ride, one hilly ride, and one extra- probably on the trainer.
-Heidi

That's great to make the commitment.  It will sure help to give you motivation.  Way to go.
2010-06-07 11:48 PM

User image

Expert
Salem
2010-06-08 12:08 AM

User image

Expert
Salem
slow turtle - 2010-06-07 3:49 PM Okay- You've all inspired and motivated me. I've decided to go for it and sign up for the Northern Columbia Tri on Aug 6! I realize I'll probably have to walk part of the run (I did last year too.)
-Heidi

Take the leap Heidi.  Nothing wrong with walking.  I do even if it is for 30 sec. to regain my heart rate and running form.
2010-06-08 12:12 AM
in reply to: #2907277

User image

Expert
Salem
sstucker - 2010-06-07 8:59 PM Just got back from short swim workout. Tested friend's wetsuit, it's a seadoo wetsuit but it will keep me warm on Sunday. The suit didn't restrict my shoulders at all, actually posted better avg times in my 6x50 and 6x100. Only problem with it it's not full body, has short sleeve and knee high. At least my core will be warm. The race does claim that the water is warm this time of year and maybe with the record breaking weather it just might be warmer then normal and they're calling for hot weather for the weekend (high 84). Just a little excited!

What race are you competing in on Sunday?  If it is going to be that hot begin the fluids now.  Sipping throughout the week.  It will payoff come race day.  Good luck!!! 

2010-06-08 7:02 AM
in reply to: #2907345

User image

Champion
Columbia, South Carolina
TriGuyBri - 2010-06-08 1:12 AM
sstucker - 2010-06-07 8:59 PM Just got back from short swim workout. Tested friend's wetsuit, it's a seadoo wetsuit but it will keep me warm on Sunday. The suit didn't restrict my shoulders at all, actually posted better avg times in my 6x50 and 6x100. Only problem with it it's not full body, has short sleeve and knee high. At least my core will be warm. The race does claim that the water is warm this time of year and maybe with the record breaking weather it just might be warmer then normal and they're calling for hot weather for the weekend (high 84). Just a little excited!

What race are you competing in on Sunday?  If it is going to be that hot begin the fluids now.  Sipping throughout the week.  It will payoff come race day.  Good luck!!! 

Agree with this.  Hydration is a days-long project, not a hours-long one.

2010-06-08 7:04 AM

User image

Champion
Columbia, South Carolina
sstucker - 2010-06-07 11:59 PM Just got back from short swim workout. Tested friend's wetsuit, it's a seadoo wetsuit but it will keep me warm on Sunday. The suit didn't restrict my shoulders at all, actually posted better avg times in my 6x50 and 6x100. Only problem with it it's not full body, has short sleeve and knee high. At least my core will be warm. The race does claim that the water is warm this time of year and maybe with the record breaking weather it just might be warmer then normal and they're calling for hot weather for the weekend (high 84). Just a little excited!

Wetsuits will do that for you!

Don't worry about the fact that it isn't full body.  It will keep you plenty warm.
2010-06-08 8:50 AM

User image

Expert
Salem

The other thing about wetsuits is their added bouyancy factor.  They tend to keep you higher in the water and actually lets you swim with better form (at least I have found); especially your legs and hips.  Not sure how a shorty responds to added bouyancy but a sleeveless and full do.
2010-06-08 11:26 AM
in reply to: #2907790

User image

Champion
Columbia, South Carolina
TriGuyBri - 2010-06-08 9:50 AM

The other thing about wetsuits is their added bouyancy factor.  They tend to keep you higher in the water and actually lets you swim with better form (at least I have found); especially your legs and hips.  Not sure how a shorty responds to added bouyancy but a sleeveless and full do.

It still provides quite a bit of buoyancy.  The arms and bottom half of the legs are typically the thinnest parts of the wetsuit anyway.  Most of the thick (more buoyant) material is above the knees and below the shoulders.  I've never owned one, but I tried one out and it felt pretty much the same as my full length suit.
2010-06-08 7:30 PM

User image

Champion
Columbia, South Carolina
I've been having motivation issues in the pool lately.  I got a good swim in on Monday, and was looking to take that up a notch today.  But just as I got started on the hard part of the workout, some kid took a dump in the pool and we all had to get out.  (He looked to be 10+ years old -- seems a bit old for this no?  I guess I'm just bitter.)

Is someone out there telling me to stop swimming?

I don't know about the rest of you (let's hear your take on this!), but in general it is the swim where I have the most motivation issues.  I do generally like to swim, but it is definitely the workout that I will bag more readily than any other.  How about you all?  How do you get motivated to go to the pool (and stay there!)?

2010-06-08 7:36 PM

User image

Expert
Salem
Ok I need some advice or direction.  My next Olympic is in exactly 16 weeks.  I am contemplating starting a new Olympic plan towards this race at a higher intensity level than before with longer mileage in all three.  My question is where do I begin? 

I have the Matt Fitzgerald Essential Week-by-Week Training Guide which has lots of 8 different level Oly plans in them and that I used for my recent Oly. training.  I have two additional Sprints (july10th and early Sept.) that are the same course.  I don't want to train specifically for the Sprints but use the sprint races as springboards to my final race at the end of Sept.  I will race hard in the Sprints to better my time from last year and the first time this year.

Q - Should I start a whole new Oly plan at a higher level and more mileage or start in the middle of a plan at the yardage I am currently doing and work upwards?  I am guessing if I start a whole new plan it will take me back through the  Base Phase , Build Phase and Peak Phase; is this such a bad thing or do I not want to do that?

A little help!
2010-06-08 8:23 PM
in reply to: #2909628

User image

Champion
Columbia, South Carolina
TriGuyBri - 2010-06-08 8:36 PM Ok I need some advice or direction.  My next Olympic is in exactly 16 weeks.  I am contemplating starting a new Olympic plan towards this race at a higher intensity level than before with longer mileage in all three.  My question is where do I begin? 

I have the Matt Fitzgerald Essential Week-by-Week Training Guide which has lots of 8 different level Oly plans in them and that I used for my recent Oly. training.  I have two additional Sprints (july10th and early Sept.) that are the same course.  I don't want to train specifically for the Sprints but use the sprint races as springboards to my final race at the end of Sept.  I will race hard in the Sprints to better my time from last year and the first time this year.

Q - Should I start a whole new Oly plan at a higher level and more mileage or start in the middle of a plan at the yardage I am currently doing and work upwards?  I am guessing if I start a whole new plan it will take me back through the  Base Phase , Build Phase and Peak Phase; is this such a bad thing or do I not want to do that?

A little help!

It is not at all a bad thing to go back to square one (but, as you say, at higher volume) at this point.  Here's why.

The plans are periodized.  I haven't seen Fitzgerald's plan in a while (I think I have his book lying around somewhere, and I'll try to find it), but surely they are periodized.  What that means in particular is that they are going to take you through certain TYPES of workout at specific times in the plan.  It isn't just a matter of building volume.  They will first introduce non-race-specific workouts (but ones designed to build certain essential abilities for later) and later move in to the race-specific workouts.

What these various workouts are, exactly, depends on the race.  So, for example, for an IM you might focus on some short hard intense stuff early on -- this will boost your VO2 max -- and then move into LT intervals (to boost your LT, of course), and finally into the longer stuff that is similar to what you'll do in the race.  Notice that the earlier workouts here are serving a very specific purpose.  If you skip that part of the plan, you lose those benefits.  The same thing goes for other distances (I just happen to have IM on the brain at the moment!)  For short races, for example, you'll wait and focus on speedwork closer to the race.  Why?  Because in short races you are going to go fast and hard!  (I.e., periodization means different things for different races.  People are often confused about this (though it can sometimes boil down to merely a semantic issue) and think that it just means 'go slow early on, and faster later'.  It ain't so!)

So the above was meant to convince you not to skip part of the plan.  What I'd do if I were you is find a plan whose volume during base building starts at about where you want to start.  Then follow the plan to build your base even more than what you have now (which is pretty good), and let it take you into the other phases of the training.

Basically, what you are doing here is peaking twice in one year.  That's good!  But to do that, you need to go 'back to base' after your first peak and repeat the entire process.  I would also say that twice per year is about the limit.
2010-06-08 8:48 PM
in reply to: #2909724

User image

Expert
Salem
Experior - 2010-06-08 6:23 PM
TriGuyBri - 2010-06-08 8:36 PM Ok I need some advice or direction.  My next Olympic is in exactly 16 weeks.  I am contemplating starting a new Olympic plan towards this race at a higher intensity level than before with longer mileage in all three.  My question is where do I begin? 

A little help!

It is not at all a bad thing to go back to square one (but, as you say, at higher volume) at this point.  Here's why.

The plans are periodized.  I haven't seen Fitzgerald's plan in a while (I think I have his book lying around somewhere, and I'll try to find it), but surely they are periodized.  What that means in particular is that they are going to take you through certain TYPES of workout at specific times in the plan.  It isn't just a matter of building volume.  They will first introduce non-race-specific workouts (but ones designed to build certain essential abilities for later) and later move in to the race-specific workouts.

What these various workouts are, exactly, depends on the race.  So, for example, for an IM you might focus on some short hard intense stuff early on -- this will boost your VO2 max -- and then move into LT intervals (to boost your LT, of course), and finally into the longer stuff that is similar to what you'll do in the race.  Notice that the earlier workouts here are serving a very specific purpose.  If you skip that part of the plan, you lose those benefits.  The same thing goes for other distances (I just happen to have IM on the brain at the moment!)  For short races, for example, you'll wait and focus on speedwork closer to the race.  Why?  Because in short races you are going to go fast and hard!  (I.e., periodization means different things for different races.  People are often confused about this (though it can sometimes boil down to merely a semantic issue) and think that it just means 'go slow early on, and faster later'.  It ain't so!)

So the above was meant to convince you not to skip part of the plan.  What I'd do if I were you is find a plan whose volume during base building starts at about where you want to start.  Then follow the plan to build your base even more than what you have now (which is pretty good), and let it take you into the other phases of the training.

Basically, what you are doing here is peaking twice in one year.  That's good!  But to do that, you need to go 'back to base' after your first peak and repeat the entire process.  I would also say that twice per year is about the limit.

Thanks Michael..That's what I was thinking but wanted some reassurance and I have plenty of time to get to my second  peak in one season which comes in late Sept.

My two sprints have a very hilly bike leg.  Last year I rode it in 44 min. and ??secs.  So i'll just add some hills into my rides.  I drove a back way to a school district I needed to go to for a meeting and found a great rolling hill ride to replicate what the race course will be like.
2010-06-08 9:02 PM
in reply to: #2909618

User image

Master
South Alabama

Experior - 2010-06-08 7:30 PM I've been having motivation issues in the pool lately.  I got a good swim in on Monday, and was looking to take that up a notch today.  But just as I got started on the hard part of the workout, some kid took a dump in the pool and we all had to get out.  (He looked to be 10+ years old -- seems a bit old for this no?  I guess I'm just bitter.)

I don't know about the rest of you (let's hear your take on this!), but in general it is the swim where I have the most motivation issues.  I do generally like to swim, but it is definitely the workout that I will bag more readily than any other.  How about you all?  How do you get motivated to go to the pool (and stay there!)?

Bad luck on the "Code Brown"

I'm with you on the swimming.  I had not been in the pool for a week and when I swam yesterday it felt like I had no clue what I was doing.  Decided to focus on drills and some pull work.  Today I did a solid workout and felt pretty good.  My problem is the first few hundred yards-I get out of breath and have trouble getting in a rhythm-even in the pool.  This creates a bit of a problem in a race as they tend to be more than 50-100 yards.  Makes me dread the swim in races.  

I try not to skip swim workouts but my favorite part is getting out of the pool after I am done.  Just never seems to get any easier.  Hang in there Michael I'm right there with you.

Randy

2010-06-08 9:42 PM
in reply to: #2909795

CO
slornow - 2010-06-08 8:02 PM

Experior - 2010-06-08 7:30 PM I've been having motivation issues in the pool lately.  I got a good swim in on Monday, and was looking to take that up a notch today.  But just as I got started on the hard part of the workout, some kid took a dump in the pool and we all had to get out.  (He looked to be 10+ years old -- seems a bit old for this no?  I guess I'm just bitter.)

Bad luck on the "Code Brown"

I'm with you on the swimming.  I had not been in the pool for a week and when I swam yesterday it felt like I had no clue what I was doing.  Decided to focus on drills and some pull work.  Today I did a solid workout and felt pretty good.  My problem is the first few hundred yards-I get out of breath and have trouble getting in a rhythm-even in the pool.  This creates a bit of a problem in a race as they tend to be more than 50-100 yards.  Makes me dread the swim in races.  

I try not to skip swim workouts but my favorite part is getting out of the pool after I am done.  Just never seems to get any easier.  Hang in there Michael I'm right there with you.

Randy

Randy, I know what you mean with it taking awhile to get into the swimming rhythm.  In my first Tri I was so worried about having the stamina that I didn't even warm up.  The second Tri I did, I biked a bit and then did some arm weight lifting (tricepts especially).  That really helped me swim better.  I find the first few laps my arms are so so it saps my swim.  Also using elastic bands to get the arms warmed up helps.

Michael, get out there and swim.  No one's telling you to stop.   I feel similar to you though.  During summer time, the only lap time is 6-7am Tues/Thurs or 12-1 all week.  The pool gets so busy in the summer, it really is a drag.  Today I got there 5 minutes early, and there was already 10 swimmers in 6 lanes.  During the school year there are about 6 more lap swim hours every day.  Thankfully my swim improvement the last half year has actually made swimming something I look forward to.  A peaceful, quiet cocoon.  Except during summer.

Another swimming motivator for me is that I'm so slow, I feel like I have to get all the swimming in I can.  I always bring my swim workout cards and that keeps me focused while i'm there.

Thankfully I've never experienced a "code brown".

2010-06-08 9:42 PM

User image

Expert
Salem
Experior - 2010-06-08 5:30 PM I've been having motivation issues in the pool lately.  I got a good swim in on Monday, and was looking to take that up a notch today.  But just as I got started on the hard part of the workout, some kid took a dump in the pool and we all had to get out.  (He looked to be 10+ years old -- seems a bit old for this no?  I guess I'm just bitter.)

For me it is more about when I swim that motivates me to swim.  I do not like to swim in the morning.  I like swimming in the evening or mid afternoon on the weekends when the sunlight is low on the horizon and shining into the pool area.  I prefer to run in the early morning or evening and right now bike in the evening as well.  Preference will be biking in the morning when it gets warmer and further into the summer.

I also use music sometimes to motivate me as well.  I use the Interval music device from H2O Audio.
2010-06-09 6:23 AM

User image

Expert

I'm having general motivational problems right now, but we'll bypass that for the moment and focus on swim motivation.  The problem with the swim is that it is so friggin' boring.  I would think mixing in some open water swims in the summer would help alot (probably some code browns there as well, but no one knows).  Music would probably help (though I tend not to do that myself).  I've found that a lunchtime swim is a nice break in the day, so compared to work, it is a welcome relief.  I think I'd have more motivational issues if I tried to swim before or after work when there were better options.  I also focus on how I feel after the swim... with the exception of the chlorine smell, my body just feels much better than after the other workouts.  Part of that may be due to the fact that I'm heavier... so water workouts are like this welcome relief where I'm not feeling 210 lbs pounding on my 50 year old knees or hauling my 210 lbs butt over the Virginia countryside. 

We'll see, today is swim day.  I'll let you know after lunch :-)

Stu
2010-06-09 6:32 AM

User image

Champion
Columbia, South Carolina
The time of day thing might just be it.  I do tend to have a better attitude when I swim at lunchtime, especially if I've been working hard all morning.  That's helpful.
2010-06-09 11:17 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Oshawa, Ontario
Experior - 2010-06-08 8:30 PM

I've been having motivation issues in the pool lately.  I got a good swim in on Monday, and was looking to take that up a notch today.  But just as I got started on the hard part of the workout, some kid took a dump in the pool and we all had to get out.  (He looked to be 10+ years old -- seems a bit old for this no?  I guess I'm just bitter.)

For me I need a plan, if I don't have one I have trouble getting up for the workout. During winter when I did the 0 to 1 mile plan I was up three times a week and looked forward to each workout. When that was done everything went downhill, missing multiple weeks. I started a new plan and now have been looking forward to each workout again. Also, I noticed that when I keep track of stats (avg times, strokes and distances) I have higher motivation to get to next workout to improve on it.

Sylvain
2010-06-09 6:20 PM

User image

Expert
Swimming is definitely the hardest leg to train for. There are too many variables that I can't control- like code browns, and no lap lanes, and synchronized swim team.
Three issues keep me motivated. First, I'm super slow. I know that if I don't train, I will probably post the slowest swim times at any race. Second, I can torture my family with the smell of chlorine when I come home from the pool. They all complain loudly about how bad I smell. It's sort of fun to watch them wrinkle their noses . Third (and this is very vain), I like how my shoulders and back look when I've been doing a lot of swimming.

2010-06-09 7:15 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
St. Louis
Did another bike TT tonight. Finished a 21 mile loop in 1:05:13 for 19.32 mph on a rolling course. First half was 32:20 avg. HR 76% and the second half was 32:53 avg. HR 78%. Not much of a drop off. Once again cardiovascular is ahead of musculoskeletal. Need more bike time, but finishing the bike leg of my race in an hour is looking very realistic.
2010-06-09 7:29 PM
in reply to: #2912159

User image

Extreme Veteran
Oshawa, Ontario
StlPhil - 2010-06-09 8:15 PM

Did another bike TT tonight. Finished a 21 mile loop in 1:05:13 for 19.32 mph on a rolling course. First half was 32:20 avg. HR 76% and the second half was 32:53 avg. HR 78%. Not much of a drop off. Once again cardiovascular is ahead of musculoskeletal. Need more bike time, but finishing the bike leg of my race in an hour is looking very realistic.

Great job Phil! I wish I could tell you how you can improve but I just don't have the cycling background. For practice I will try. I would think that you would need to work on strenght workouts like hills once a week. Duration, I'm thinking midrange intervals maybe 3 to 5 minutes. Start with 5 sets then gradualy increase. Now, lets wait for the experts to comment.

Sylvain
2010-06-10 4:48 AM

User image

Expert
Hey Everyone,

As a bit of a change of pace of pace from training notes, I finally uploaded pictures from along my bike to work.  Note that I didn't take any pictures of the dogs attacking... just the good stuff :-)  Enjoy... I know I do!

my commute

Stu
2010-06-10 4:55 AM
in reply to: #2912581

User image

Expert
juneapple - 2010-06-10 5:48 AM Hey Everyone,

As a bit of a change of pace of pace from training notes, I finally uploaded pictures from along my bike to work.  Note that I didn't take any pictures of the dogs attacking... just the good stuff :-)  Enjoy... I know I do!

my commute

Stu

Very nice! I'm envious- my bike commute is all suburbs, service roads and one small section of park.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Experior's Group, Take Two -- CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 40