BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Colin Cook's Mentor Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 24

2010-07-21 8:41 PM
in reply to: #2991866

User image

Expert
MI
Subject: RE: Colin Cook's Mentor Group - CLOSED
Well I had my tri tonight.  Overall I'm happy with my effort put forth for all 3 disciplines- that's a first!   I didn't run into any major nutritional issues during the race- finally!  I wasn't happy about my transitions however, in particular T1, but oh well.  Oh, and my age group suddenly got a lot faster!!  This was part 2 of a 3 part series so the course was exactly the same from before... I bettered my time by 12 minutes (which really just shows how horrible my other tri was) and my placement within my age group is practically the same.  12th place in my AG at the first tri, today a 12 minute improvement got me I think 10th place (looking at the unofficial results posted at the race).  People are so fast lol.  I need to make massive improvements on the bike!!!  I was laughing at how many and how quickly people were passing me!!  Laughing  Will post a race report once I get my official splits!

2010-07-21 8:58 PM
in reply to: #2996173

User image

Veteran
Georgia
michgirlsk - 2010-07-21 9:41 PM Well I had my tri tonight.  Overall I'm happy with my effort put forth for all 3 disciplines- that's a first!   I didn't run into any major nutritional issues during the race- finally!  I wasn't happy about my transitions however, in particular T1, but oh well.  Oh, and my age group suddenly got a lot faster!!  This was part 2 of a 3 part series so the course was exactly the same from before... I bettered my time by 12 minutes (which really just shows how horrible my other tri was) and my placement within my age group is practically the same.  12th place in my AG at the first tri, today a 12 minute improvement got me I think 10th place (looking at the unofficial results posted at the race).  People are so fast lol.  I need to make massive improvements on the bike!!!  I was laughing at how many and how quickly people were passing me!!  Laughing  Will post a race report once I get my official splits!

Congrats on improving your time 12 minutes is awesome...also great news on the nutritional issues...As far as age group placement that's how I felt Sunday when they were calling out awards for the age groups I thought I had a chance then when they got to the 35-39 we were like 9 minutes faster than lower groups so I missed an award by three minutes...ouch..Again congratulations and continue the work...

tim
2010-07-21 8:59 PM
in reply to: #2776638

User image

Veteran
Georgia
How do you import data from the garmin 310xt to the training logs on this site???
Thanks
Tim
2010-07-22 6:02 PM
in reply to: #2996220

User image

Expert
MI
2010-07-23 2:36 PM
in reply to: #2990985

User image

Veteran
I met with an open water swim coach today!  It was awesome.  I got a ton of great tips on how to prepare for the swim, how to acclimate myself to the water better, and how to understand what is happening in the lake.  The water was 58 degrees and I was cold, but appropriately so.

He also filmed my swimming and then we watched it and he gave me some tips to refine my stroke.  I was so glad to hear that all those hours in the pool have resulted in pretty good form that doesn't fall apart in the open water.  I also learned how to sight and how to draft. 

What a great tri day!
2010-07-26 3:23 PM

User image

Expert
Bedford, NH
Hi Everyone,

I'm very sorry I haven't posted in a few days, but my schedule has been extremely crazy!  Things should be back to normal very soon!

2010-07-27 8:44 AM
in reply to: #3005540

User image

Hi All,

I've been reading a lot of reviews about various drinks used for endurance/electrolytes. I'm pretty good about staying hydrated, but I've been getting cramps in my calves for a couple weeks now so I thought I would try something new to help prevent that.  I've been looking and Hammer endurolyte, Accelerade and Inifinite Nutrition.
Have any of you used these to help with leg cramping or any other purpose, and how did it work?
Colin, do you have any favorites or recommendations here?
Thanks
Chad
2010-07-27 7:57 PM
in reply to: #2996220

User image

Expert
Bedford, NH
shake-n-bake - 2010-07-21 9:59 PM How do you import data from the garmin 310xt to the training logs on this site???
Thanks
Tim

Hey Tim,

I'm not sure if BT has set it up so that you can automatically upload your data from the 310.  However, I used to do it with my 305 so it is probably possible.  I know there was a special add on I needed to download on my computer to get it to work.  I'll try to figure this out for you.  However, I find it easier just to put the data in myself these days.
2010-07-27 8:14 PM
in reply to: #2998851

User image

Expert
Bedford, NH
michgirlsk - 2010-07-22 7:02 PM race report!! http://beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid... />
Hey Samantha,

I finally got to your race report.  Awesome job on the race report and the race itself!  When you have a chance, take a look at my comments, but job well done!
2010-07-27 8:16 PM
in reply to: #3000785

User image

Expert
Bedford, NH
sbright - 2010-07-23 3:36 PM I met with an open water swim coach today!  It was awesome.  I got a ton of great tips on how to prepare for the swim, how to acclimate myself to the water better, and how to understand what is happening in the lake.  The water was 58 degrees and I was cold, but appropriately so.

He also filmed my swimming and then we watched it and he gave me some tips to refine my stroke.  I was so glad to hear that all those hours in the pool have resulted in pretty good form that doesn't fall apart in the open water.  I also learned how to sight and how to draft. 

What a great tri day!

Good for you Sarah and that's great news!  So did you just where the same wetsuit from before and just didn't have any of the issues from last time?  I'm glad you got some great feedback from the coach and that you also feel your hard work has been paying off.  That feels great, doesn't it!

Keep up the great work!
2010-07-27 8:19 PM
in reply to: #3006834

User image

Expert
Bedford, NH
cquin534 - 2010-07-27 9:44 AM Hi All,

I've been reading a lot of reviews about various drinks used for endurance/electrolytes. I'm pretty good about staying hydrated, but I've been getting cramps in my calves for a couple weeks now so I thought I would try something new to help prevent that.  I've been looking and Hammer endurolyte, Accelerade and Inifinite Nutrition.
Have any of you used these to help with leg cramping or any other purpose, and how did it work?
Thanks
Chad

Hey Chad,

Great question and I'm glad you're looking into this.  Personally, I'm a big GU guy so I use GU 2 0.   However, I have not tried any of the other brands you mentioned.  Its definitely a personal preference and its worth training each one to see which one works best for you.  However, I tried GU 2 0 first and it worked for me so I have just used that ever since.  I'd be more than happy to let you try some of mine next time we meet up if you'd like.  However, its not very expensive.

Go get this weekend buddy!!!

2010-07-27 8:21 PM

User image

Expert
Bedford, NH
Hi Everyone,

On a personal note, I'd like to let everyone know that I'm officially signed up for Ironman Lake Placid 2011.  The signs up were Monday and I was able to get in so I'm really excited.  I kind of which I could have signed up after doing IM AZ so I would know if I really wanted to put myself through that again, but I'm still pumped.

Keep up all the hard work everyone!
2010-07-27 8:48 PM
in reply to: #3008655

User image

Veteran
Georgia
hockeyhands - 2010-07-27 8:57 PM
shake-n-bake - 2010-07-21 9:59 PM How do you import data from the garmin 310xt to the training logs on this site???
Thanks
Tim

Hey Tim,

I'm not sure if BT has set it up so that you can automatically upload your data from the 310.  However, I used to do it with my 305 so it is probably possible.  I know there was a special add on I needed to download on my computer to get it to work.  I'll try to figure this out for you.  However, I find it easier just to put the data in myself these days.

No problem Colin I will just continue to use garmin connect and load the data on bt myself.. it really is not that bad....
Thanks
Tim

2010-07-27 8:52 PM

User image

Veteran
Georgia
Colin

Check out my race report from the second Olympic I did...http://beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=217931

Also signed up to do an Olympic this weekend...

Thanks
Tim

Edited by shake-n-bake 2010-07-27 8:53 PM
2010-07-28 7:42 AM
in reply to: #3006834

User image

Veteran
Georgia
cquin534 - 2010-07-27 9:44 AM Hi All,

Thanks
Chad

Chad
I've used the GU products and the hammer products, I like the hammer products a lot, but like Colin said it is all preference and what seems to work for your body, also the new Gatorade  01,02,03 series is pretty good... You also can mix a little sea salt with water to help replace when you have lost a lot from sweating, just my thoughts lmk if I can help.

Tim
2010-07-28 12:22 PM
in reply to: #3009155

User image

Thanks for the feedback Tim and Colin.  I will probably try both the Hammer and GU products and like you guys said, just see what works best for me.  Wish I had some today as I'm doing a dry run tonight for my Sprint Sunday and its about 95 degrees out!
I'll be sure to post my race results for my second race after the weekend.
Chad

2010-07-28 5:22 PM
in reply to: #3008700

User image

Veteran
Georgia
hockeyhands - 2010-07-27 9:21 PM Hi Everyone,

On a personal note, I'd like to let everyone know that I'm officially signed up for Ironman Lake Placid 2011.  The signs up were Monday and I was able to get in so I'm really excited.  I kind of which I could have signed up after doing IM AZ so I would know if I really wanted to put myself through that again, but I'm still pumped.

Colin
I'm sure you will do well,at least you have signed up and that is the first step to doing it.. With all the high finishes you've had I'm sure the IM will be no problem... Good Luck to you...maybe one can be in my future..

Tim
2010-07-28 6:22 PM
in reply to: #3010920

User image

Expert
MI
shake-n-bake - 2010-07-28 6:22 PM
hockeyhands - 2010-07-27 9:21 PM Hi Everyone,

Colin
I'm sure you will do well,at least you have signed up and that is the first step to doing it.. With all the high finishes you've had I'm sure the IM will be no problem... Good Luck to you...maybe one can be in my future..

Tim

I love that you signed up for a second IM before completing your first! Laughing  BT has way too many threads on IMs, it is making me want to jump on the bandwagon!  I'm trying to be rational here, I'll first see how my HIM goes though.  But, I do have thoughts on Louisville for next year.  It's the closest M-dot from here (6 hours), and since it doesn't sell out immediately, I will have plenty of time to think about it after the HIM.  Non-M-dot wise, there's an iron-distance race 2 hours from here put on by Rev3 (Cedar Point).  Or, after my HIM I will decide it's way too long and will stick with sprints and Oly's. Smile
2010-07-29 2:00 PM
in reply to: #3008682

User image

Expert
MI
hockeyhands - 2010-07-27 9:14 PM
michgirlsk - 2010-07-22 7:02 PM race report!! http://beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid...

Hey Samantha,

I finally got to your race report.  Awesome job on the race report and the race itself!  When you have a chance, take a look at my comments, but job well done!

Colin, thought I'd respond to your comments given on my race report.

For the swim, I do feel like I was swimming relatively straight.  I think swimming bilaterally helped a great deal.  I also believe I was sighting a lot less than in my previous tri's.  And I definitely agree- I do believe being able to pace myself well/comfortably on the swim attributed to my success on the bike, and most importantly, run.  Thinking back, I could actually start to feel the side stitch come on (very little) during the swim, I think as a result of just trying too hard... or something like that.

hehe yes being on a hybrid probably isn't helping too much, but I do what I can. Laughing

And for the run, assuming I'm feeling well during the next tri, I'll try to pick it up sooner.  I actually feel like I was holding back a little because I was so afraid of the side stitches just suddenly appearing... like I was just waiting for it to come!  That, and quite honestly it was weird passing so many people, it made me doubt myself, wondering if I was going too fast.

Thanks Colin!
2010-07-31 8:39 PM
in reply to: #3008758

User image

Expert
Bedford, NH
shake-n-bake - 2010-07-27 9:52 PM Colin

Check out my race report from the second Olympic I did...http://beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=217931

Also signed up to do an Olympic this weekend...

Thanks
Tim

Tim,

Finally got to your race report.  Way to go man!  You did awesome!  Take a look at my comments when you have a chance, but you're just improving like crazy which is great to see.  Keep it up!
2010-07-31 8:42 PM
in reply to: #3012607

User image

Expert
Bedford, NH
michgirlsk - 2010-07-29 3:00 PM
hockeyhands - 2010-07-27 9:14 PM
michgirlsk - 2010-07-22 7:02 PM race report!! http://beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid...

Hey Samantha,

Colin, thought I'd respond to your comments given on my race report.

For the swim, I do feel like I was swimming relatively straight.  I think swimming bilaterally helped a great deal.  I also believe I was sighting a lot less than in my previous tri's.  And I definitely agree- I do believe being able to pace myself well/comfortably on the swim attributed to my success on the bike, and most importantly, run.  Thinking back, I could actually start to feel the side stitch come on (very little) during the swim, I think as a result of just trying too hard... or something like that.

hehe yes being on a hybrid probably isn't helping too much, but I do what I can. Laughing

And for the run, assuming I'm feeling well during the next tri, I'll try to pick it up sooner.  I actually feel like I was holding back a little because I was so afraid of the side stitches just suddenly appearing... like I was just waiting for it to come!  That, and quite honestly it was weird passing so many people, it made me doubt myself, wondering if I was going too fast.

Thanks Colin!

Hey Samantha,

All great feed back from you.  As for the kick at the end, its not a huge deal and is definitely just something to shoot for.  At this point, you're absolutely right and I don't blame you for being nervous about cramping.  However, as you get more experience and confidence, you'll be able to think about more.

As always, keep up all the great work!

2010-08-02 7:14 AM

User image

Veteran
Georgia
Hello Guys

I did another tri yesterday that was advertised as an olympic size, however I was very disappointed in this event's organization.. The distances were way off, they changed the bike route the morning of, and the run coursr was not marked very well at all..On top of that it was an usat event and there were no race officials anywhere.. I will post a race report later...Hope everyone has a great week..

Tim
2010-08-02 8:01 AM
in reply to: #3017687

User image

Expert
MI
Tim, sorry to hear about the race organization (or lack thereof), I'm sure that must have been frustrating, but way to go on completing yet another tri!!!
2010-08-02 11:33 AM
in reply to: #3017758

User image

Expert
Bedford, NH
michgirlsk - 2010-08-02 9:01 AM Tim, sorry to hear about the race organization (or lack thereof), I'm sure that must have been frustrating, but way to go on completing yet another tri!!!

x2 Tim.  That doesn't sound like a very well organized race to say the least.  It takes a tremendous amount of time/effort to organize things things (I found that out this year helping with a local tri), but clearly it shows when its done correctly.  But hey, you got yes another race under your belt.  You're a machine!
2010-08-02 5:01 PM
in reply to: #3018442

User image

Hi all.
So I had my second race yesterday and am happy to say I improved for the most part over my first race.  still working on swimming, but am I happy with the results. Here is a link to my report (I think I did it right this time, but let me know if it doesnt work)
Chad
http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=220473
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Colin Cook's Mentor Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 24