Running Fit
83F / 28C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 24m 9s
Overall Rank = 184/465
Age Group = F25-29
Age Group Rank = 10/34
Pre-race routine:

Well, first off, I had been experiencing abdominal discomfort every now and then since Monday, not sure why, and Wednesday was no different leading up to the race. :( Didn't really know what to do about it. I was quite nervous about that leading up to, and during, the race. Seemed to be getting better as race start neared (I think it was mental!!), but it was present throughout the whole race, but fortunately it was very slight and there were no adverse effects!!

Second, there were a few things I was going to test out for this tri. I had experienced side stitches during my last (first) two triathlons, and I believe the issue was either too much food/drink before the race, and/or lack of a proper warm-up... so I decided to work on these areas both. I tried to minimize the food and drink as much as possible, trying to eat lightly throughout the day, and as it turns out, last I ate was 1-2p (wasn't planning for it to be so early), and last I drank was around 3:30p. (Race start 6p.) I did have a GU and some water halfway into my warm-up run.
Event warmup:

Biked for 10 min, swam for 10 min, ran for 10 min. Hooray for a proper warm-up! Got to the swim start just in time to see the first wave head off. (I was wave 2, 5 min later.)
Swim
  • 16m 41s
  • 880 yards
  • 01m 54s / 100 yards
Comments:

Felt pretty good about this swim. Swam bilaterally throughout- this helped to make sure I wasn't going too hard. One of my goals was to work on staying to the inside of the course, but that didn't work out so well. I found myself swimming on the outside for most of the swim. Not a big deal though.
What would you do differently?:

I guess I will continue to work on trying to stay towards the inside of the course.
Transition 1
  • 00m 58s
Comments:

Well I was quite happy about my transition spot location but then went off and ruined that by having a horrid transition. List of things that went wrong:

1- I started running the wrong way once I got into the transition area!
2- Once I found my row, struggled a bit to find my exact spot.
3- Got to my spot and hesitated because I wasn't thinking about what I should be doing.
4- Started putting on my socks without wiping off my feet... which wasn't the plan, but I guess this actually did save me time, and I may keep this in mind in the future- wet feet and socks were not really a problem!

hmm... I think that does it. Wasn't so smooth.

Absolutely know which row is mine, and how far down my spot is!! The rest, well, not too big of a deal.
Bike
  • 42m 37s
  • 12.4 miles
  • 17.46 mile/hr
Comments:

This ride was quite amusing to me. Soooooooo many people were passing me, and they were all so fast!! LOL. I especially loved it when people with their fancy wheels would pass me, it would seriously just make me laugh because I'm just so dang slow compared to them! Oh man. Really, this ride was quite enjoyable. I enjoyed people watching. :D

Also, nearly every time I shifted gears (which was often) I would think about the tdf and Andy Schleck, just hoping my chain would not come off!

Sipped water throughout ride.

Pretty happy with my effort here. I just need to get faster at biking!!
Transition 2
  • 00m 41s
Comments:

Once again I had a little bit of trouble finding my spot. Finding my row wasn't as bad as T1, but I had to search extra to find my spot.

Again, I just need to know where my row and spot is in relation to the swim in/bike in.
Run
  • 23m 10s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 07m 28s  min/mile
Comments:

My legs felt heavy and I felt like I was going quite slow so I was delighted to see that I ran a 7:3x for the first mile! Solid run all around.

With less than 0.1 mi to go as I'm going for my last surge, someone yells to me, "go 106- oh I know her!" and then started ringing cowbells for me LOL- awesome! Unfortunately though I was just focused on getting to the finish line, and I didn't look over and I have no clue who it was.

Crossed the finish line, and I was so happy to be able to have solid efforts all around for all 3 disciplines!

Oh yeah, and it seems as though I can say I have become efficient in running on the balls of my left foot! I am still being cautious and am opting not to put normal pressure on my left foot.

And the hydration thing. At each aid station (think there were like 3-4?) I took two cups of water. One for a sip, and the other to dump on myself. I wasn't that hot but I figured cooling down the body temp couldn't hurt.

Based on my last mile being so fast compared to the others, it makes me feel that perhaps I could have picked up the pace a little sooner, but that's just something to keep in mind for next time. I'm just really happy I was able to finish the race without side stitches plaguing me from feeling well during the run- a first!
Post race
Warm down:

Jogged 5 min, stretched 5 min.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

hmm... other than minor transition issues nothing really shouts out at me. I'm happy about this race.

Event comments:

Volunteers were out in full force! There were tons of them, and they were loud and cheerful in encouraging us on! (And they were definitely helpful in keeping us on course!)

Last updated: 2010-06-16 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:16:41 | 880 yards | 01m 54s / 100yards
Age Group: 12/34
Overall: 0/465
Performance: Good
Suit: none
Course: counter clockwise loop at Kent Lake.
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 82F / 28C Current:
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 00:58
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:42:37 | 12.4 miles | 17.46 mile/hr
Age Group: 14/34
Wind:
Course: hilly enough!
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 00:41
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:23:10 | 03.1 miles | 07m 28s  min/mile
Age Group: 6/34
1- 7:34, 2- 7:40, 3- 7:12, 0.1- 0:44
Course: Slight gradual inclines/declines now and then. A nice portion of the run was shaded.
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2010-07-22 5:54 PM

User image

Expert
MI
Subject: Pterodactyl Tri

2010-07-23 5:33 AM
in reply to: #2998840

Master
Subject: RE: Pterodactyl Tri

Wow! Great race.  Congratulations!

2010-07-27 8:13 PM
in reply to: #2998840

User image

Expert
Bedford, NH
Subject: RE: Pterodactyl Tri
Way to go Samantha!  A 12 minute improvement in a couple months?  Are you kidding me?  That's absolutely terrific!

We'll start with your prerace nutrition.  It is very tricky to prepare for races in the afternoon and to be honest, I don't have too much experience in this department.  However, I think keeping things light on the food is an excellent idea.  But, I think you could have been drinking more water up until the race.  At the next race, I would try drinking more fluids throughout the day.

The swim sounds like it went well.  Did you feel like you were swimming relatively straight?  As long as that was the case or at least you improved on it from last time, that is great!  I'm very glad to hear you paced yourself this time and I have a feeling that's why the rest of your race went so well.

As for the bike, I must admit your hybrid bike probably isn't helping you too much.  Nonetheless, avg 17.5 mph is pretty solid!  I think your cycling could use some work, but that is still a very good ride!

And last but not least, the run.  It sounds like your run went amazing!  No cramps = a job well done for the most part.  The only thing I will mention is you probably could have started your kick (final push at the end) sooner.  Most people start their kick too late and are better off starting too early than too late.  Try starting it a little earlier next race.

Awesome job Samantha!  I'm very proud of you.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Pterodactyl Tri Rss Feed