BT Development Mentor Program Archives » HILDEKQ'S Magnificently Motivational Mentor Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 41

2010-07-08 6:35 AM
in reply to: #2967284

User image

Veteran
Orlando, FL
Subject: RE: HILDEKQ'S Magnificently Motivational Mentor Group - CLOSED
Thanks Marsha!  I'll get to them today.  It was my "summer plan" to work more on my core since I've got more time, but I've only done core exercises once this week.  I'll push to try to get them in more often.  (Like today!)  I've got a core video and found some core exercises on BT -- and now I'll add this one.  Any more suggestions from the pro would be greatly appreciated.  Smile

2010-07-08 7:13 AM
in reply to: #2778561

User image

Veteran
Let me know how it goes! Also, are you sure your bike fit is proper - have you been looked at by a pro-fitter?
2010-07-08 8:20 AM
in reply to: #2967627

User image

Expert
Temple, TX
^^^ x2 on the bike fitting Peggy.... could be you are too stretched out on the bike.  I never have to stop and stretch, but of course I have a tri bike and am in aero most of the time... which feels like laying on the couch in bike terms!  I would think that along with doing Marsha's exercises (and how great is it we have a PT in our midst???!!) that time in the saddle (T.I.T.S.) will help build those muscles too. 
2010-07-08 8:20 AM
in reply to: #2967750

User image

Expert
Temple, TX
Marsha, soooooo darned cool that you have an OWS set up every week!!  That is awesome!!
2010-07-08 11:30 AM

User image

Veteran
Orlando, FL
I haven't had the bike fitted because it's not my bike -- it's daughter's!  Spent all my money on Paris and no money left to get a new bike -- haha!  Oh well, maybe next season.  In the meantime I could practice on my mt bike; I'd still get the T.I.T.S. Laughing  By the way:  does anyone know how to contact the people at BT for a problem?  Wilson said he contacted them and then worked out something.  I'm having problems with my training plan showing up correctly.  Couldn't find an email or contact button -- I guess I'm missing something.
2010-07-08 3:10 PM
in reply to: #2968352

User image

Veteran
Racine, WI
peggyf - 2010-07-08 11:30 AM I haven't had the bike fitted because it's not my bike -- it's daughter's!  Spent all my money on Paris and no money left to get a new bike -- haha!  Oh well, maybe next season.  In the meantime I could practice on my mt bike; I'd still get the T.I.T.S. Laughing  By the way:  does anyone know how to contact the people at BT for a problem?  Wilson said he contacted them and then worked out something.  I'm having problems with my training plan showing up correctly.  Couldn't find an email or contact button -- I guess I'm missing something.

Hey Peggy,
If you go to the forum and scroll down a bit under the general discussion section the last choice is Training Log and Site Support. It says you can ask questions there.
Good luck! 

2010-07-08 6:15 PM
in reply to: #2969116

User image

Extreme Veteran
Peggy, X2 on T.I.T.S., bike fit and core strength. I used to have a LOT of lower back stiffness on longer rides, but it is gradually dissipating. Maybe you could work on bike fitting yourself- check online for guidelines. I just started using the book "Core Performance Essentials" to work on core strength. It's got some good exercises.
2010-07-08 6:50 PM

User image

Expert
Hi from Nebraska, everyone!

So sorry I've been out of touch for a few days-- I'd expected to have internet access on my drive back to IL, but such access is nominal at best at some places! It's fine here, so I've quickly updated my logs (didn't get that last brick in before I left, alas-- clearly I needed the sleep more than the ride!)-- but wanted to wave hi to you all and assure you that I'm still here, honest! (Battling a sinus thingy, admittedly, but still here!) Tomorrow it's off to Kansas City, MO, then back to IL on Saturday-- am hoping for a long ride or run to get the driving kinks out on Sunday...

Thanks for all the messages, gang. Big hugs to you all,

Alex
2010-07-09 7:22 AM
in reply to: #2969565

User image

Expert
Temple, TX
Well, we're all glad to know that Alex is okay and is just driving cross country... a few more people have not logged in awhile... I have heard from Tammy (TTucker) and she's fine, she took a trip and is having some personal stuff going on that's keeping her from training, but you could send her some love, she's checking in once in awhile and I hope to see her next week. 

Looks like everyone is in a training groove, races are coming up and everyone seems to be dealing with heat.  Keep on trucking everyone!!!
2010-07-09 11:52 PM

User image

Hey y'all!  Hope everyone is doing well.  I've been out of town for most of the past week and a half so no training logs yet this month.  I should be back in the swing of things by Monday.  Perhaps you can see why my wife set conditions on me buying a bike.  Too many commitments and all kinds of excuses keep getting in the way of consistent training.  Sometimes all I have is that quiet voice in my head at the end of the day saying I'll try again tomorrow.  

2010-07-13 6:43 AM

User image

Veteran
Orlando, FL
How do I make my training log page wider?  I've seen that some of you have a wider space than me.  Can't figure out how to change the margins.

2010-07-13 7:58 AM
in reply to: #2977024

User image

Expert
Temple, TX
Peggy, I had that same question awhile back!!  It all has to do with what you put into the section you see when you open your BT page.  You know, where you put your goals and pictures etc, up at the top.  If you click on the edit button, I think you should see some grey dotted lines when you open it up.  I think you can stretch these boxes wider and it should widen your whole page.  (You can stretch them wider than the actual page, and when you click okay at the bottom to set it, it will look different than when you are actually working on it, if that makes sense).  In any case, just play around with it, you'll figure it out!
2010-07-13 9:37 AM
in reply to: #2977191

User image

Extreme Veteran

Hi guys, I have a long break at work, so I'll see if I can summarize my Total Immersion Workshop for you. First of all, let me just say, if you're struggling with your swimming and on the fence about whether to take a workshop, I say DO IT! Every last one of us (even the 6 year alumna that returned for a brush up) learned things that will forever change our swimming for the better.
A few of my lightbulb moments:
- swimming should be almost effortless. If you're fighting the water, you're doing something wrong.
- balance, balance, balance! They start with drills that focus only on balance in the water, then gradually build on that, adding proper arm tracking, timing, alignment, breathing, etc., one step at a time. Really good for those of us that can't walk and chew gum!
- a lot of the advice (and drills) I've been given have done more harm than good. Almost everything I was doing wrong was something I had been told to do at one point by a well-intentioned coach.
- you can make a lot of progress on your own, but there's really no substitute for having a trained coach observe you (in the water with you) and give you feedback.
- under- and over-water video of yourself can be quite illuminating, too! Often what you think you're doing and what you're actually doing are two very different things!
- a lot of balance/coordination issues originate in your core and what it is or is not doing.
- propulsion does not come from pulling with your arms (Wha??!)! It comes from the weight shift as you rotate and thrust your lead arm ahead of you. Shocking.

The instructors (Kevin and Sara) were amazing- they could always pinpoint what we were doing wrong and give us one or two simple fixes. I have struggled with my kicking for YEARS, and Sara fixed it in about 30 seconds! Still have a lot of unlearning to do there, but at least I know what to do now!

Bottom line, this workshop took a group of folks who had almost no natural talent for the water and turned us into swimmers- that's saying a lot! What you get in 2 days is really just a jump-start; it will take a lot of drill practice before I internalize this stuff and unlearn all my bad habits. But, they made sure we could all tell when we were doing something right so we'd be good to practice on our own, and they gave lots of tips for integrating drills with swim practice. It's really amazing, though, how much progress we made in 2 days (I think around 8 hours of pool time). We all looked so graceful at the end- no struggling, churning, or splashing- just gliding through the water!

I can't wait to get home today and head to the pool!

Tammy

2010-07-13 10:01 AM

Veteran
I went to an amazing tri club meeting last night. For the first 1/2 hour or so they paired experienced and beginner triathletes. Everyone brought a wheel and we practiced changing tires. Although I'ld seen videos and gone to a free REI session, actually doing it several times made me feel quite comfortable that I could do it on my own. It also gave us newbies a captive audience to ask questions. Very nice.

Then the focus was swimming and I got some great tips and ideas. After talking to the swim coach I decided to get some alpha fins. I've used Zoomers before, which he said are great for kick drills, but not good for actual swimming because of their weight and tendency to drag down your legs. The alpha fins are super light and actually "float" your legs, similar to a wetsuit. I could immediately feel the difference in body position this morning. They cost a few bucks less than Zoomers too. Going to try to get out to a group open water swim this weekend.

Also a presentation by Xterra. Sounds fun, but wild. Kind of an off-road tri between sprint and oly distance.

Take home message - attend your local tri club meetings!
2010-07-13 3:52 PM

User image

Veteran
Orlando, FL
Wow, Tammy, where did you hear about this TI workshop?  Sounds great!  I swam in high school and was even a coach for two years, butl that was soooo long ago, that I'm sure I would benefit from some tweaking of my stroke.  It certainly isn't as fast as it should be!  Sometimes I feel like I'm just slogging through the water.  Just being able to get video taped while swimming would be helpful for me to see what I'm doing wrong.  I'd love to go to something like that.
2010-07-13 4:31 PM
in reply to: #2978581

User image

Expert
Temple, TX
Kelly and Tammy-Turtle, thank you so much for sharing what you've learned in your workshops!  Lots of really good info there!

2010-07-13 7:39 PM

User image

Veteran
Neat workshops! Thanks for sharing
2010-07-13 8:33 PM
in reply to: #2978581

User image

Extreme Veteran
peggyf - 2010-07-13 1:52 PM Wow, Tammy, where did you hear about this TI workshop? 

I found out about it on the TI website:
http://www.totalimmersion.net/freestyle-workshops
My workshop was led by coaches from Colorado- they seem to cover this part of the country.

I noticed there's even an open water clinic in Hawaii! How fun would that be?!

There may be a TI coach in your area that you could meet with. Also, I haven't had a chance to check out the forums yet, but I was told you could upload video of your stroke there and people would give you feedback, so that may be worth checking out, too.  
2010-07-14 11:34 AM

User image

Expert
Thanks for the info about workshops! Now that I've heard more details about TI, I'm definitely interested, so will check them out in this area.

Hot and humid as anything here in the midwest-- hope things are cooler and drier for all of you!

Alex
2010-07-15 6:33 AM
in reply to: #2980402

User image

Expert
Temple, TX
We have some racers this week!!

In case you missed it, Wilson has his FIRST tri on Saturday, (THE BIG DANCE)... he will have an entourage and papparazzi and I believe a red carpet will be rolled out for his arrival!  He has been a training machine, and I just know he's gonna rock that dance!!

Marsha has her second sprint tri on Sunday and since she struggled a bit on the first and only got 2nd place in her age group, we hope she can do better, ha ha!! 

I have a 5K, called Hot2Trot... out in the cornfields just north of town... there's no shade so I hope it's overcast, that will help.  Some hills too!  Not expecting a PR with the heat...

So send out some love!!
2010-07-15 6:52 AM

User image

Veteran
Orlando, FL
I've got a question for everyone:  How much stretching do you do?  I guess I'm not stretching enough because now that I've increased my distance (with my new plan), I'm in pain and I'm wondering if I need to stretch more?????  Seems like when I'm pressed for time, stretching is the first thing to go!

2010-07-15 9:46 AM
in reply to: #2982146

User image

Expert
peggyf - 2010-07-15 6:52 AM I've got a question for everyone:  How much stretching do you do?  I guess I'm not stretching enough because now that I've increased my distance (with my new plan), I'm in pain and I'm wondering if I need to stretch more?????  Seems like when I'm pressed for time, stretching is the first thing to go!

I agree that it's easy to let stretching go when we're battling time constraints, but I know from my own experience that I really need to do it-- so I do a little yoga in the mornings to get myself moving (it's made a HUGE difference to my hip mobility in the early AM), then about 20 minutes to half an hour of yoga in the evenings before bed (both for stretching and to help me unwind). I also use a foam roller on my legs regularly, and after running or biking I do a few stretches to make sure I don't cramp up. A little bit here and a little bit there seems more do-able to me than a whole lot all at once, it seems-- and it certainly helps!

Hope the pain goes away ASAP-- way to increase the mileage!
2010-07-15 9:47 AM
in reply to: #2982132

User image

Expert
hildekq - 2010-07-15 6:33 AM We have some racers this week!!

In case you missed it, Wilson has his FIRST tri on Saturday, (THE BIG DANCE)... he will have an entourage and papparazzi and I believe a red carpet will be rolled out for his arrival!  He has been a training machine, and I just know he's gonna rock that dance!!

Marsha has her second sprint tri on Sunday and since she struggled a bit on the first and only got 2nd place in her age group, we hope she can do better, ha ha!! 

I have a 5K, called Hot2Trot... out in the cornfields just north of town... there's no shade so I hope it's overcast, that will help.  Some hills too!  Not expecting a PR with the heat...

So send out some love!!

I've said it before and I'll happily say it again: GO MMM RACERS, GO!!! *cheers madly and waves pompoms, even in the heat and humidity of Chicago*
2010-07-15 10:04 AM
in reply to: #2982146

User image

Veteran
Racine, WI
peggyf - 2010-07-15 6:52 AM I've got a question for everyone:  How much stretching do you do?  I guess I'm not stretching enough because now that I've increased my distance (with my new plan), I'm in pain and I'm wondering if I need to stretch more?????  Seems like when I'm pressed for time, stretching is the first thing to go!

I have to take the time to stretch, otherwise I will definitely regret it. I do it for about 5-20 minutes depending on the intensity of the workout. I've pulled muscles in odd places due to amping up the workout but not the stretching. I've learned my lesson Laughing
2010-07-15 10:05 AM
in reply to: #2982132

User image

Veteran
Racine, WI
hildekq - 2010-07-15 6:33 AM We have some racers this week!!

So send out some love!!

Good luck to everyone this weekend! 
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » HILDEKQ'S Magnificently Motivational Mentor Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 41