BT Development Mentor Program Archives » tri808's Spring Pot Luck (CLOSED) Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 45

2011-01-15 12:09 AM
in reply to: #3256440

User image

Subject: RE: tri808's Spring Pot Luck (CLOSED)

Looks like she's doing well on the run.  But man that bike course must be brutal.  The pros were putting up some less than stellar bike splits.

2011-01-15 12:10 AM

User image

Got my 8 mile run in feeling good.  Pales in comparison to an IM though...hehehe
2011-01-15 1:13 AM
in reply to: #3300929

User image

Extreme Veteran
Tx
Prince of Denmar - 2011-01-14 11:33 PM Krystyna is almost done. seems to be on the last part of the run.

follow here.
http://results.racetectiming.com/MyResults.aspx?CId=34&RId=140&EId=1&AId=17598 
no. 622.  

Way to go Special K! 
2011-01-15 6:12 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Montreal
Completed my first iron-distance race!!!!!!!!! The weather was f*cktastic - INSANE winds and gusts of 60-70km/hr. I've never experienced such psychotic weather. I finished in 14:07:13, about 1.5-2 hours slower than expected time in ideal conditions. I WILL TAKE IT, the first female pro finished in ~10:30, a ridiculously slow time if I've ever heard one.

I had a great swim, cruised in 1:14:xx expending basically no effort. Got punched in the eye and will probably have a mildly bruised eye. 

The bike was horrendously painful. I've never biked in such horrible conditions. I saw grown men cry as they pedalled at 10-15km/hr for the last 70km of the course (from Cromwell back to Wanaka). I dealt with it far better than I have in training. I broke it up in 10' chunks and just repeated one sentence to myself over and over again until the next 10' chunk, and then repeated another sentence. That was really the only way to deal with the excruciating business of biking and not going forward.

The run was EPIC. I ran down half my competition, and avoided all GI issues. I've never had such a good run off bike. The first lap of the 2-lap course went by in a flash, I was high on caffeine and just cruising. I did it in 2:15:xx, in painfully windy conditions (rocks from the shore were whipped into my legs and face. Yes, that's how windy it was!!). The second lap was 2:22:xx, a bit slower than the first but I was just avoiding abdominal pain and stitching. Successfully, I might add. I really had an epic run when everyone else was falling apart. Boo yah!! 
2011-01-15 6:49 AM

User image

Coastal Carolina
I do a fairly basic stretching/warmup for out of the gate runs, but alot of my strength training I do the run last, just to keep my body used to it for the PTT tests, it's not a constant problem just an irritaing one when it does pop up...

CONGRATS on the IM special K

Not weighing myself this week, restaurant week in Charleston, all the top restaurants are offering 3 meal for 30 specials and hey gotta live sometime... 
2011-01-15 7:49 AM
in reply to: #3301013

User image

Master
Fort Wayne
krystyna47 - 2011-01-15 7:12 AM Completed my first iron-distance race!!!!!!!!! The weather was f*cktastic - INSANE winds and gusts of 60-70km/hr. I've never experienced such psychotic weather. I finished in 14:07:13, about 1.5-2 hours slower than expected time in ideal conditions. I WILL TAKE IT, the first female pro finished in ~10:30, a ridiculously slow time if I've ever heard one.

I had a great swim, cruised in 1:14:xx expending basically no effort. Got punched in the eye and will probably have a mildly bruised eye. 

The bike was horrendously painful. I've never biked in such horrible conditions. I saw grown men cry as they pedalled at 10-15km/hr for the last 70km of the course (from Cromwell back to Wanaka). I dealt with it far better than I have in training. I broke it up in 10' chunks and just repeated one sentence to myself over and over again until the next 10' chunk, and then repeated another sentence. That was really the only way to deal with the excruciating business of biking and not going forward.

The run was EPIC. I ran down half my competition, and avoided all GI issues. I've never had such a good run off bike. The first lap of the 2-lap course went by in a flash, I was high on caffeine and just cruising. I did it in 2:15:xx, in painfully windy conditions (rocks from the shore were whipped into my legs and face. Yes, that's how windy it was!!). The second lap was 2:22:xx, a bit slower than the first but I was just avoiding abdominal pain and stitching. Successfully, I might add. I really had an epic run when everyone else was falling apart. Boo yah!! 

Sounds like an awesomely horrendous time.  It must have been horrible to start the race knowing how bad it was going to be.  Living in Northern Indiana in the US we have some substantial winds that I have grown accustom to riding in BUT I still HATE it.  if I had to deal with it for 180KM I would be seriously be considering suicide before the end of the race.

I am glad you made it through but I wonder if you plan to change your focused training plans now.  You have said you would work on shorter distances after the IM so you can get faster but since you weren't able to complete this race in a time close to your target will you try to do another one sooner?

2011-01-15 7:53 AM

User image

Master
Fort Wayne
Melanie,
You're next on the race list aren't you?  Tomorrow is the big day.  Good luck!  What's your bib number so we can watch along with the rest of Naples?

2011-01-15 8:00 AM
in reply to: #3301042

User image

Master
Fort Wayne
Tripopo - 2011-01-15 7:49 AM I do a fairly basic stretching/warmup for out of the gate runs, but alot of my strength training I do the run last, just to keep my body used to it for the PTT tests, it's not a constant problem just an irritaing one when it does pop up...

CONGRATS on the IM special K

Not weighing myself this week, restaurant week in Charleston, all the top restaurants are offering 3 meal for 30 specials and hey gotta live sometime... 

Are you doing leg work and then running immediately after?  If you are doing calf specific workouts then running it could be that your calves are tight from the strength training and causing the problem.  My right achilles seems to be tight most of the time the day after a run.  I have to constantly stretch it out or it will seize up on me.

2011-01-15 12:48 PM

User image

Veteran
krystyna47 - 2011-01-15 5:12 AM Completed my first iron-distance race!!!!!!!!! The weather was f*cktastic - INSANE winds and gusts of 60-70km/hr. I've never experienced such psychotic weather. I finished in 14:07:13, about 1.5-2 hours slower than expected time in ideal conditions. I WILL TAKE IT, the first female pro finished in ~10:30, a ridiculously slow time if I've ever heard one.

Congrats on your IM "Ironwomen" I love stories of brutal conditions were the strong are seperated from the weak. You must of loved passing those guy's as they were crying for there mommy's. You are very inspiring, especially during the winter times where I would love to take it easier, because of the cold.

I went to the gym today and did 3 hours on the bike, burning 3100 calories. It felt great, I have stuck to my water and eating smaller portions and have lost 7 lbs in the last month. Keep up the good work everyone Woohoo!
2011-01-15 1:42 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Texas
Completed my first iron-distance race!!!!!!!!!

What a wonderful accomplishment!  You must feel awesome.  I don't like wind so I can't imagine riding a bike in horrific winds then having to run in it while have rocks hit you.  I love tough women!
2011-01-15 1:50 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Texas
Well, it is raining here today.  No bike ride for me.  I am not getting in enough bike time to feel really comfortable on it.  Weather conditions have been all over the place.  Did workout last night and this morning.  Interval class last night.  Heavy weights this morning.  I like weights more than cardio.

2011-01-15 6:58 PM

User image

Master
Fort Wayne
My daughter the all SAC (Summit Athletic Conference swim team at the championships today.  I am very proud of her accomplishment this season.  she has worked her tail off to get to where she has and she's not a year round swimmer.  She only swims the HS season and was at the top of her game.  She placed 4th in both of her individual events and missed a 3rd place finish in her 200 by .2 seconds.  It was VERY close from my vantage point at the finish.  I thought she had her opponent by a fingernail but it was the other way around.  Her 500 wasn't as good as she did the other night but she still smoked the 5th place finisher by about 8-10 seconds.  Her finish time in the 500 was 6:05

I am a very happy pappa!

2011-01-15 11:20 PM
in reply to: #3302001

User image

Veteran
DirkP - 2011-01-15 5:58 PM My daughter the all SAC (Summit Athletic Conference swim team at the championships today.  I am very proud of her accomplishment this season.  she has worked her tail off to get to where she has and she's not a year round swimmer.  She only swims the HS season and was at the top of her game.  She placed 4th in both of her individual events and missed a 3rd place finish in her 200 by .2 seconds.  It was VERY close from my vantage point at the finish.  I thought she had her opponent by a fingernail but it was the other way around.  Her 500 wasn't as good as she did the other night but she still smoked the 5th place finisher by about 8-10 seconds.  Her finish time in the 500 was 6:05

I am a very happy pappa!

Thats great Dirk, Tell her good job and to keep up the good work.

So I ordered a vortex 3 sleeveless wetsuit today, can't wait to get it. Although I won't be swimming for a couple months in the open water. All I have left is tri shorts and a shirt and I am set.

Edited by garrunning 2011-01-16 11:16 AM
2011-01-16 9:33 AM

User image

krystyna47 - 2011-01-15 6:12 AM Completed my first iron-distance race!!!!!!!!! The weather was f*cktastic - INSANE winds and gusts of 60-70km/hr. I've never experienced such psychotic weather. I finished in 14:07:13, about 1.5-2 hours slower than expected time in ideal conditions. I WILL TAKE IT, the first female pro finished in ~10:30, a ridiculously slow time if I've ever heard one.

Congrats, that is awesome!  That is my biggest fear about the swim, getting kicked in the face.
2011-01-16 9:39 AM

User image

Veteran
krystyna47 - 2011-01-15 6:12 AM Completed my first iron-distance race!!!!!!!!! The weather was f*cktastic - INSANE winds and gusts of 60-70km/hr. I've never experienced such psychotic weather. I finished in 14:07:13, about 1.5-2 hours slower than expected time in ideal conditions. I WILL TAKE IT, the first female pro finished in ~10:30, a ridiculously slow time if I've ever heard one.

Amazing, congratulations, it gives me hope to see such badass racers here.
2011-01-16 1:48 PM

User image

Great job Krystyna.  I was trying to put together why the male and female pro winning times were so sub par.  70km/hr winds will do that.  Way to tough it out on the bike.  And sounds like you had an awesome run.

2011-01-16 1:50 PM

User image

Got in a 8ish mile group run this morning.  Thought twice...okay...maybe 5 times about sleeping in...but I forced myself out and glad I did.  Legs were still a bit sore from yesterday's ride...and I was on my feet all day as I went to watch the Sony Open (PGA golf tournament) in the afternoon.

2011-01-16 2:51 PM
in reply to: #3302858

User image

Extreme Veteran
Montreal
tri808 - 2011-01-17 4:48 AM Great job Krystyna.  I was trying to put together why the male and female pro winning times were so sub par.  70km/hr winds will do that.  Way to tough it out on the bike.  And sounds like you had an awesome run.

Thanks!! Thanks everyone for the superbly kind words! There are no words to express how amazing I felt coming down that finishing chute, and I wish I could do another one (Challenge Cairns comes to mind, June 2011), but I know it would be smart and SO WORTH IT in the long run if I went back to short-course stuff for a couple years. Someone's got a half-marathon coming up, eh? NEXT RACE, NEXT ADVENTURE!!!!! 
2011-01-16 4:24 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2011-01-16 5:03 PM

Mercer Island, WA
Congrats to Krystyna and Melanie. Great races ladies!

Went to the pool yesterday and skipped my swim to watch the Seahawks play today. Probably should have gone swimming, the game was horrible. My trip to the pool brought up some questions.

First, it was really busy when I showed up to the pool. For the majority of my workout we had 4 people total in my lane. I'm totally fine with circle swimming but it was the fact that in the lane next to us there were two women who were obviously friends, one trying to give the other a lesson. It seemed like they were mostly working on walls and turns as the would go about halfway down the lane, talk for a while then head to the wall and repeat. While I was there they probably only did about 4 or 5 swims down the whole length. It was frustrating because at one point in our lane we had 2 people doing kick sets, one doing back, and then me trying to do my free drills and it would have been kinda nice to spread out a little since it seemed like they were just kind of splashing around next to us. What should I do if that situation arrises again?

Second question, I realized I don't have a lot of good swim drills to work on my form. I really trying to work on a quality catch right now as that I think is the weak part of my swim. Anyone have some good drills to try? 
2011-01-16 5:16 PM
in reply to: #3303054

Veteran
melbel1038 - 2011-01-16 3:24 PM
krystyna47 - 2011-01-15 7:12 AM Completed my first iron-distance race!!!!!!!!! The weather was f*cktastic - INSANE winds and gusts of 60-70km/hr. I've never experienced such psychotic weather. I finished in 14:07:13, about 1.5-2 hours slower than expected time in ideal conditions. I WILL TAKE IT, the first female pro finished in ~10:30, a ridiculously slow time if I've ever heard one.

Congrats Krystyna.  Awesome Awesome job!

Did my first half marathon today.  My target time was 2:11 and my dream time was 2:05 and I did it in 2:03:25 so I was super happy with that!!!  Honestly guys can't believe that just a year and 3 months ago I ran my first 5k (30ish lbs heavier and it took me 44 minutes!!!!).  So happy with how my running is progressing. 

No GI issues during race...NOW I'm having them...ugh.  I ate a huge plate of french toast right after the race and haven't had another thing since.  Not hungry.  This week recover and then I'll have to really get serious about all 3 disciplines again.  Bike especially.

Great time Melanie, sounds like you have came a very long way in your journey.

2011-01-16 5:48 PM
in reply to: #3303112

bwanzer - 2011-01-16 6:03 PM Congrats to Krystyna and Melanie. Great races ladies!

Went to the pool yesterday and skipped my swim to watch the Seahawks play today. Probably should have gone swimming, the game was horrible. My trip to the pool brought up some questions.

First, it was really busy when I showed up to the pool. For the majority of my workout we had 4 people total in my lane. I'm totally fine with circle swimming but it was the fact that in the lane next to us there were two women who were obviously friends, one trying to give the other a lesson. It seemed like they were mostly working on walls and turns as the would go about halfway down the lane, talk for a while then head to the wall and repeat. While I was there they probably only did about 4 or 5 swims down the whole length. It was frustrating because at one point in our lane we had 2 people doing kick sets, one doing back, and then me trying to do my free drills and it would have been kinda nice to spread out a little since it seemed like they were just kind of splashing around next to us. What should I do if that situation arrises again?

Second question, I realized I don't have a lot of good swim drills to work on my form. I really trying to work on a quality catch right now as that I think is the weak part of my swim. Anyone have some good drills to try? 

As far as the catch there are a couple drills that would be helpful.  The first is called the 3-catch drill: when you're hand enters that water you scull out and in 3 times before pulling.  Make sure that you keep your fingers together and your hands cupped.  The second is the paddle float drill... there's a video on youtube under goswim098.  They have a bunch of videos on different drills for all strokes.  You don't necessarily need paddles for the drill.  

I would stay away from the catch-up drill!  I've seen too many swimmers use the drill and it becomes they're style of swimming.  Most coaches stay away from that drill all together.

Hope some of these tips help.

Edited by swimmindy 2011-01-16 5:49 PM
2011-01-16 5:59 PM
in reply to: #3303054

Extreme Veteran
Montreal
melbel1038 - 2011-01-17 7:24 AM 

Did my first half marathon today.  My target time was 2:11 and my dream time was 2:05 and I did it in 2:03:25 so I was super happy with that!!!  Honestly guys can't believe that just a year and 3 months ago I ran my first 5k (30ish lbs heavier and it took me 44 minutes!!!!).  So happy with how my running is progressing. 

No GI issues during race...NOW I'm having them...ugh.  I ate a huge plate of french toast right after the race and haven't had another thing since.  Not hungry.  This week recover and then I'll have to really get serious about all 3 disciplines again.  Bike especially.

Awesome, awesome!!! Isn't it amazing how quickly you progress? It's such a satisfying feeling!!! Congrats, what a great race, you've come so far! Try eating some salty whole wheat crackers and flat ginger ale, and green grapes if you can. That stuff always soothes my tummy!!! Salty, liquids, some sugar and very easy to digest complex carbs.
2011-01-16 6:59 PM

Expert
Las Vegas, NV
Hi everyone,
Sorry to hijack your thread, but I was in a group with J & Dirk in the summer/fall and just wanted to let them know that I rode 60 miles today. Longest ride ever for me. Had to let them know. They knew me when I struggled to clip into my shoes, and gave me so much great advice like I'm sure they are doing for all of you.

Thanks J & Dirk
2011-01-16 7:26 PM
in reply to: #3303314

Master
Fort Wayne
jpbis26 - 2011-01-16 7:59 PM Hi everyone,
Sorry to hijack your thread, but I was in a group with J & Dirk in the summer/fall and just wanted to let them know that I rode 60 miles today. Longest ride ever for me. Had to let them know. They knew me when I struggled to clip into my shoes, and gave me so much great advice like I'm sure they are doing for all of you.

Thanks J & Dirk

Thanks for the props Jackie but it's all you.  You did all the work and put the dedication into getting that far.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » tri808's Spring Pot Luck (CLOSED) Rss Feed  

of 45