BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Sink or SWIM! with WittyCityGirl - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 72

2011-04-28 7:12 PM
in reply to: #3294922

User image

Extreme Veteran
Naperville, IL
Subject: RE: Sink or SWIM! with WittyCityGirl - CLOSED

Did 1200 yards this PM.  Broke it in to 3 x 400 yards (2:36, 2:41, 2:43, 2:42, || 2:36, 2:40, 2:38, 2:46, || 2:40, 2:48, 2:52, 2:52).  Took away some really good lessons from today's workout.  First, the importance of using a timer and letting the numbers speak.  I felt terrible during and after the workout AND felt that times were awful.  In looking at them, see that the first two sets were pretty solid and the third didn't have a big fade until the last 200 yards.  Second, even when things feel awful, you still are making progress.  Third, it's extremely painful to repeatedly slam your elbow against the lane dividers.  Given my less than ideal form and a busy lane, the result was a lovely bruise on my elbow after about 20 collisions due to my inability to swim in a straight line.

Tomorrow's scheduled as a vacation day and I'm hoping the weather holds for some outside activities.

2011-04-28 9:48 PM

User image

Veteran
Citrus Heights, CA
This is great--at least 3 of us have our first races (both overall or for the season) in the next month--My first ever tri (a mini sprint) is in exactly 25 days...I'm at that lovely point where I've started worrying about it...not how fast I am going, but just whether or not I will finish...my coach says I will, no problem, but my annoying little inner voice doesn't believe her. Well, nothing more to do, but KEEP TRAINING!
2011-04-29 12:04 AM
in reply to: #3472304

Extreme Veteran

Chet - finally decided to find out and use your name, lol. Glad I could help with the article.

Curt - good work on the swim - they look like some pretty consistent times to me. On the "it's painful to ..." front - I found out that you really need to start thinking how close the edge is when you see the flags - I found the end while doing baskstroke by hitting my arm on it, lol

Kate - you'll do great. Who are the other people doing "first races" in the next month anyway

2011-04-29 5:59 AM
in reply to: #3472239

User image

Master
Just South of Boston
Iwilltri2 - 2011-04-28 4:53 PM
Mike_D - 2011-04-28 7:23 AM

Good morning, everyone! Its finally spring here, and temps have creeped above 60 on a consistent basis, and even reached 75 yesterday! Whoo hoo!! Outside workouts are back! Now if the sun would just come up at 4 AM, I could ride my bike outside in the AM.

Johanne (sp?) - enjoy your trip and good luck on 5/7 with your race!

Curt -- 6 hour drives r/t for a *really* short practice tri? I vote no - just go out and make your own tri up at home, and get 6 hours of your life back!

Lori - my pace is slower than it was pre-injury so I guess its all perspective

Ice baths -- never tried one, and really don't know when I'd try. Is this done after long runs, generally? Or just tough workouts? I'm an ice-bath know nothing

Can't believe my first race is less than 2 months away, and I feel totally unprepared. Its a sprint (440/13mi/5k) and I'm concerned about the run, given how early I am in the recovery phase of my foot injury. I really want to kill it on this race (its our local in-town tri). My dream time would be a sub 1:10:00.

Today was a decent swim. Felt my form was only OK, but stamina wise, I was doing well. Tried to just focus on form, and not push the effort. Still worked out to a 1:40/100 average pace, but it didn't feel like it. Felt worse. I did a total of 1600 yards, split up between drills and intervals. Have another lesson coming up on Sunday, and I'm hoping that will tweak things for me.

Hey Mike, given how you are slowly building up your distance running again, I think you will do great on the tr run in 2 months.  Your swimming looks great! What length is your pool and do you break every so many yds/m?  I just started swimming today and you have given me some motivation to try out what I learned. 

Glad I could help out with the motivation - thanks!   You've motivated me to go out and swim better!

I try not to take too long a break between sets. Most drills I do 10 seconds between, and the main set stuff I do according to plan - usually 15 or 20 seconds between.

My swim has been OK I think. I have a swim lesson on Sunday to get some help with a few things, and keep moving forward.

Did another run today. meant to do a bike & run, but slept through my alarm, and only had time for the run. I did over 2 miles - 2.03 to be exact - and the foot felt great. A bit of soreness about an hour after, but that is now gone as well. I'm thinking I may be on the road to recovery with this.

This weekend I'm hoping to get a couple of bike rides, a swim, and another run done. End April strong, and start May stronger!

Edited by Mike_D 2011-04-29 6:08 AM
2011-04-29 8:37 AM
in reply to: #3472767

Extreme Veteran
Mike - yay the road to recovery.
2011-04-29 8:40 AM
in reply to: #3472260

User image

Master
Dunedin

Lori, this is great to read!  It's awesome that you're better than you think you are--I spent well over a month trying to explain that to a local triathlete. =)  Do you mind sharing with us the drills your coach suggested?

Iwilltri2 - 2011-04-28 6:10 PM

So today I had my first swim lesson.  It was awesome!  The instructor coaches at the national level.  He was spot on in what I need to work on - breathing!  I put my self in beginner level but he moved me up to the group that has been swimming for 10 weeks.  He also said that 1 more week there and then I should go to the more advanced group at the location that is actually closer to my home.  I didn't want to do that one as I thought it was too advanced for me.  So, I don't think I am as bad as I thought and will do the try a tri on June 18.  The swim was scaring me more than anything.  I think my weakness will be the run. 

The instructor left me with some drills to do at my club before my lesson next week.  I will incorporate them into my swim workouts. 

Off to work the night shift tonight.  Have a great evening.  If anyone lives in or around the areas hit by the nasty weather, my thoughts and prayers are with you.  Stay safe!

2011-04-29 9:47 AM

User image

Master
Dunedin

So happy to see everyone really excited for races coming up!  You all are doing a fantastic job of making goals, going after them and supporting each other in the process-AWESOME!

This weekend I am running around one of the "Finger Lakes" with a relay team from our triathlon club.  We have a rivalry against another team from the tri club-"losing" team has to donate $100 to American Cancer Society.  One member was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer around January-ish (maybe later) and another was diagnosed with breast cancer this month.  So, I put quotes around losing team because it really wouldn't stink to split $100 between 7 people to support a good cause.

2011-04-29 7:11 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Naperville, IL

Made a great choice in taking a vacation day today - absolutely gorgeous outside.  Headed out after breakfast for a nice, easy run.  Focused on keeping my HR down, relaxing, and enjoying the run.  No pain in the legs or lungs, just the normal tightness in my shoulders/upper arms due to my form.  Did the 4.7 miles at a 9:39 pace

Played a round of golf in the early afternoon - UG-LEE!

Took a quick ride on the bike after getting home / prior to dinner.  Was really nice as I averaged just under 18 mph for just over 11 miles.  Second half of ride was much faster and I actually held over 19 mph for the vast majority of the second half.

2011-04-29 8:31 PM
in reply to: #3472991

User image

WittyCityGirl - 2011-04-29 9:40 AM

Lori, this is great to read!  It's awesome that you're better than you think you are--I spent well over a month trying to explain that to a local triathlete. =)  Do you mind sharing with us the drills your coach suggested?

Iwilltri2 - 2011-04-28 6:10 PM

So today I had my first swim lesson.  It was awesome!  The instructor coaches at the national level.  He was spot on in what I need to work on - breathing!  I put my self in beginner level but he moved me up to the group that has been swimming for 10 weeks.  He also said that 1 more week there and then I should go to the more advanced group at the location that is actually closer to my home.  I didn't want to do that one as I thought it was too advanced for me.  So, I don't think I am as bad as I thought and will do the try a tri on June 18.  The swim was scaring me more than anything.  I think my weakness will be the run. 

The instructor left me with some drills to do at my club before my lesson next week.  I will incorporate them into my swim workouts. 

Off to work the night shift tonight.  Have a great evening.  If anyone lives in or around the areas hit by the nasty weather, my thoughts and prayers are with you.  Stay safe!

Hi Sara, it is definitely a nice feeling!  The drills are actually quite simple.  As I mentioned earlier, breathing is an issue for me and I've typically held my breath for 50 to 100 yards of swimming without coming up for air!  So to start off, I begin in the swallow end. He suggested just taking a big belly breath, exhaling a little before allowing my head to go under and then breathing out gradually through my nose under the water and then come up and to the same thing until my breathing out under water is under control and my breathing out was evenly paced.  Simple, I know, but a light bulb went off in my head. 

The actual drills I will be doing are 4 x 50yds using a kickboard.  Again, it is about the breathing for me.  I will alternate hands holding on to the board while doing the front crawl and everytime I raise an arm I  bring my face to the side out of the water while trying to keep my ear on my shoulder, take an audible big breath in and back my face goes in the water to do it again on the other side.  Again, it seems so simple, why didn't I think about this myself?  lol  This exercise is also great for those of us who love to rush through the strokes (ME!)  to really concentrate on your form. He actually called me a speed demon Laughing! It helped me as everytime I raised an arm, I slowed down and I also remembered to breath! 

So that is what I am working on this week.  Hope it helps someone else too!  What other types are drills are there using a kickboard that other's are using?   Sorry if someone else posted similar drills previously.  I didn't have time to go back and check.

2011-04-29 8:35 PM
in reply to: #3473177

User image

WittyCityGirl - 2011-04-29 10:47 AM

So happy to see everyone really excited for races coming up!  You all are doing a fantastic job of making goals, going after them and supporting each other in the process-AWESOME!

This weekend I am running around one of the "Finger Lakes" with a relay team from our triathlon club.  We have a rivalry against another team from the tri club-"losing" team has to donate $100 to American Cancer Society.  One member was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer around January-ish (maybe later) and another was diagnosed with breast cancer this month.  So, I put quotes around losing team because it really wouldn't stink to split $100 between 7 people to support a good cause.

Nothing like a little friendly competition, especially when it is for a great cause!

The run I am doing Sunday is to raise money to send kids with cancer to a special camp in the summer.  It's a nice feeling to know you are contributing a little sunshine to those that need it most Smile.

2011-04-29 8:49 PM

Extreme Veteran

Curt - Good work on the run and bike - I'm lucky if I can get over 4mph on mine, lol. Sorry about the golf - I'd like to have a go one day but I'm not sure I want to be the silly girl who goes on her own and doesn't know how to play. I've only ever done mini-golf. I did get a hole in one there though.

Iwilltri - Thanks for the drill description - I think that's what I was trying to do when I tried Sara's ultra-beginner workout sans kickboard but it didn't work - I'll try incorporating this into the kick drills of Sara's workout next time I hit the pool.

Me - Just got back from a 2.36 mile walk. Only meant to do 2.25 but I couldn't remember if my previous route cut through the park (equivalent size to 4 house blocks so it's just a shortcut from one side of the "block" to the other) or went round the side of the block so I took the latter route - turns out the first one was right - on the + side - I only had to actually stop to cough twice and had extremely reduced coughing throughout. I tried a tactic I've used before and it worked - after I've had my ventolin I sit on my bed and do the yoga meditation breathing for a while to get the breating under control then finish getting ready to head out. On the - side, I have no idea how long it took me as I couldn't find my phone to time it so I estimated 58 mins in the log based on my "normal" long pace.

2011-04-30 8:24 AM

User image

Master
Just South of Boston
just a quick bike this AM. did 14.9 miles in 51 min (17.5 mph avg). spent much of my time working on gearing, and not so much on just trying to go fast. Now the thought is how to go fast most efficiently. There is a great article on BT this month all about 'gearing for hills' which made me think of how I'm riding and using the bike, and how to possibly do it better. Tried to work some of that into my ride. I need to know my bike better, and this is one of the things to work on. Also, no falls at stop signs or anywhere else
2011-04-30 8:38 AM
in reply to: #3474624

Extreme Veteran

Mike - good work on the ride. I need to get to know my bike a bit better too - I have absolutely no idea on how the gears work except that you go pedal less at the higher ones and more in the lower ones - you also change when you "max out" the pedals - they're going to fast for you to actually control them - but I still have no idea what to do with the gear thing that's on the opposiite side to the one with the numbers, lol

2011-04-30 10:49 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Naperville, IL

Took a swim lesson at the Y today.  Geez, do I need help!  Instructor picked up several key things.  First, my legs separate on my kick and I need to kick faster with small flutter kicks.  Second, my extension is good, but I'm crossing over / need to keep my arms wider.  I also need to enter with my finger tips versus flat handed.  Third, is the pull.  Right now I'm keeping my arms straight and pulling down versus back.  I need to think of keeping my thumb up and pulling along my body.  Finally, I need to extend my pull all the way to my hip versus exiting at the waist.  I can actually feel all of these things individually and work on them in the drills.  Challenge is putting them all together in the stroke!  She took a couple of videos for me so I'll likely have something to post / share in the next day or so.  Will welcome any and all help on this one.

Got home and decided to do a short run.  Have been reading "run more, mostly slowly, occasionally fast".  With that in mind, I'm going to try and get in short easy runs almost every day to build up the muscles.  Did about 2.4 miles at a brisk pace (10:15 out, 9:41 back), BUT it felt very easy.  Even better, is that my legs aren't sor afterwards.  We'll see how it goes.

2011-04-30 10:52 AM
in reply to: #3474640

User image

Extreme Veteran
Naperville, IL
suzielea - 2011-04-30 8:38 AM

Mike - good work on the ride. I need to get to know my bike a bit better too - I have absolutely no idea on how the gears work except that you go pedal less at the higher ones and more in the lower ones - you also change when you "max out" the pedals - they're going to fast for you to actually control them - but I still have no idea what to do with the gear thing that's on the opposiite side to the one with the numbers, lol

I'm far from an expert on how to use the gears, but have read a lot about cadence.  Prevailing wisdom seems to be to see if you can keep the RPMs around 90 to be most efficient / save your legs.  Personally I had a ton of problem getting above 60 RPM when I started last year.  Now I'm most comfortable around 80 and can hold 90.  I have noticed that as I get faster with the RPM it does indeed seem to produce a better return on the effort.  Challenge is matching the body rhythm.  If you don't already have a cycling computer, you might want to invest in one.  Good luck!

2011-04-30 1:22 PM

User image

Veteran
Citrus Heights, CA

Mike--As I was reading your swim post, I realized the issues you mentioned are some of the same issues I have--After reading that though, it gave me really good insight as to visualizing my issues! Now I think I will make some REAL progress! Thanks!

Last night, I did a treadmill run at my gym--not my preferred method, but we had 30+ mph north winds here--and anyone from NorCal will tell you North winds=the WORST allergies! So inside I went...I did 2.5 miles (my first tri running length...) I couldn't keep up the running for the full time (35 Minutes), but still--I made it...then I went home and hit the WiiFit for another 30 minutes...Tonight will be a night for non-tri-specific exercising (winds are still bad, UGH.), or maybe some gym bike riding...who knows--I'll add in some weight training though...that has been sorely lacking over the past few months.

User image

Veteran
Citrus Heights, CA

Edited by kgore 2011-04-30 1:24 PM

User image

Veteran
Citrus Heights, CA

Mike--As I was reading your swim post, I realized the issues you mentioned are some of the same issues I have--After reading that though, it gave me really good insight as to visualizing my issues! Now I think I will make some REAL progress! Thanks!

Last night, I did a treadmill run at my gym--not my preferred method, but we had 30+ mph north winds here--and anyone from NorCal will tell you North winds=the WORST allergies! So inside I went...I did 2.5 miles (my first tri running length...) I couldn't keep up the running for the full time (35 Minutes), but still--I made it...then I went home and hit the WiiFit for another 30 minutes...Tonight will be a night for non-tri-specific exercising (winds are still bad, UGH.), or maybe some gym bike riding...who knows--I'll add in some weight training though...that has been sorely lacking over the past few months.

2011-04-30 1:52 PM
in reply to: #3474332

User image

suzielea - 2011-04-29 9:49 PM

Curt - Good work on the run and bike - I'm lucky if I can get over 4mph on mine, lol. Sorry about the golf - I'd like to have a go one day but I'm not sure I want to be the silly girl who goes on her own and doesn't know how to play. I've only ever done mini-golf. I did get a hole in one there though.

Iwilltri - Thanks for the drill description - I think that's what I was trying to do when I tried Sara's ultra-beginner workout sans kickboard but it didn't work - I'll try incorporating this into the kick drills of Sara's workout next time I hit the pool.

Me - Just got back from a 2.36 mile walk. Only meant to do 2.25 but I couldn't remember if my previous route cut through the park (equivalent size to 4 house blocks so it's just a shortcut from one side of the "block" to the other) or went round the side of the block so I took the latter route - turns out the first one was right - on the + side - I only had to actually stop to cough twice and had extremely reduced coughing throughout. I tried a tactic I've used before and it worked - after I've had my ventolin I sit on my bed and do the yoga meditation breathing for a while to get the breating under control then finish getting ready to head out. On the - side, I have no idea how long it took me as I couldn't find my phone to time it so I estimated 58 mins in the log based on my "normal" long pace.

Hi Suzanne.  I was just wondering if you also use a long-term inhaler as well as the ventolin?  I'm sure you already know this but if you are using one, it is best to take it after the short-term inhaler (ventolin) to maximize the effects.  Sorry if you already do this but you would be surprised how many people do the opposite.  The yoga/meditation thing is a great idea.  Getting that breath under control is critical.

Good job on the walk.  It must have been a good one if time got away from youSmile!

2011-04-30 1:54 PM

User image

Expert
Henderson, NV

Curt - It makes a huge difference having someone on the side of the pool huh?  After some of the coaching I got I wondered why I wasn't drowning.  

Small local 5k this morning.  I didn't run particularly well but ended up 2nd overall.  Results of my lottery will not be available until Friday now.  Ugh, I really want this race.

Everyone have a great weekend.

2011-04-30 1:58 PM
in reply to: #3474624

User image

Mike_D - 2011-04-30 9:24 AM just a quick bike this AM. did 14.9 miles in 51 min (17.5 mph avg). spent much of my time working on gearing, and not so much on just trying to go fast. Now the thought is how to go fast most efficiently. There is a great article on BT this month all about 'gearing for hills' which made me think of how I'm riding and using the bike, and how to possibly do it better. Tried to work some of that into my ride. I need to know my bike better, and this is one of the things to work on. Also, no falls at stop signs or anywhere else

Hi Mike.  I hear you on the gears.  I am still getting used to my bike and the gears on my new bike  (road) are different from my old one (hybrid).  I also read the article on BT and hills.  I believe it is low gears - hills, high gears - flat.  Or is it the other way around Surprised?   I think I need help with this one.  What kind of pedals do you have?   I am afraid of clipping my feet into anything.   I feel like I am giving up some control or something.

2011-04-30 2:10 PM
in reply to: #3474726

User image

croixfan - 2011-04-30 11:49 AM

Took a swim lesson at the Y today.  Geez, do I need help!  Instructor picked up several key things.  First, my legs separate on my kick and I need to kick faster with small flutter kicks.  Second, my extension is good, but I'm crossing over / need to keep my arms wider.  I also need to enter with my finger tips versus flat handed.  Third, is the pull.  Right now I'm keeping my arms straight and pulling down versus back.  I need to think of keeping my thumb up and pulling along my body.  Finally, I need to extend my pull all the way to my hip versus exiting at the waist.  I can actually feel all of these things individually and work on them in the drills.  Challenge is putting them all together in the stroke!  She took a couple of videos for me so I'll likely have something to post / share in the next day or so.  Will welcome any and all help on this one.

Got home and decided to do a short run.  Have been reading "run more, mostly slowly, occasionally fast".  With that in mind, I'm going to try and get in short easy runs almost every day to build up the muscles.  Did about 2.4 miles at a brisk pace (10:15 out, 9:41 back), BUT it felt very easy.  Even better, is that my legs aren't sor afterwards.  We'll see how it goes.

It's interesting when someone is watching your technique, isn't it?  As for the hands, my instructor was showing us that a slightly cupped hand with fingers together is the best position for them.  For the arms crossing, holding on to a kickboard while the other strokes actually prevents you from crossing over. I am doing this in 4 x 50yd drills.  And the pull you explained is similar to what I did with my instructor. The full extension to the hip helps you glide further.  The drill I explained earlier actually incorporates that all into the drill.  I just didn't mention the fingers, pull and kick because I am ok there. 

They kind of slow you down but at least we'll have great form Laughing!

2011-04-30 2:13 PM
in reply to: #3474849

User image

kgore - 2011-04-30 2:22 PM

Good job on the tm run!  I usually don't run the whole thing as well.  I have been incorporating a 10min run with a 1 min walk for all my runs.  I really look forward to that 1min walk sometimes Laughing!

2011-04-30 7:13 PM

User image

Master
Just South of Boston

chet -- great race! Nice when you don't feel it, but still pull a 2nd OA!

As for the bike, I have clip pedals (shimano ultegra) on my bike, and I'm new to clipping in this year. I have the scars from falling over to prove it. . Its a totally different, and IMHO better, feeling than the flat platform pedals or cages. takes some getting used to, but I'm getting there.

Tomorrow AM I have a swimming lesson. Should be interesting to hear what he has to say. I've been working on some things the past 2 weeks, so I'm hoping its looking better.

2011-04-30 7:42 PM
in reply to: #3475200

User image

Extreme Veteran
Naperville, IL
x2 on the feeling bad but finishing second overall.  Can only dream of being up with the big boys on the run.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Sink or SWIM! with WittyCityGirl - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 72