of 84

2011-05-25 9:59 AM
in reply to: #3517413

User image

Master
Subject: RE: Ernesto's group - CLOSED
ironbaby - 2011-05-25 7:10 AM
dangremond - 2011-05-25 5:31 AM

Are you maybe just fatigued?  When I did my last cycling test for the winter cycling program I did I could not get my HR to what I knew was a threshold level.  I had improved but my length endurance was an issue.  I was tired and needed a couple days off.  Maybe you ramped up a bit quickly and your body is telling you to back off for a few days?

I didn't think about the fatigue. You are probably half-right about it... not been sleeping enough this week and did not eat anything between ride-run. I assumed nutrition won't be required during transitioning between such short distance.

As for length endurance, I have done longer rides/runs before. Hopefully that wasn't the case.

I think Ernesto's comments above are also applicable.  Over time your cardio will improve and more effort will be required to get your HR to levels you used to see regualrly.  But, if my reading and research is correct you should also see your LT increase and push closer to your Max HR (whatever it may be - however your max hr is really un-important).  Therefore your body will burn fats longer before it switches over completely to sugars.  Your pace at that threshold and at all levels of HR will be faster - thus your leg muscles will be doing more work at lower HRs. 

As I explained rather ungrammatically above and with no proofreading - I have had personal experiences where I just didn't have the stamina to push my cardio system to threshold levels.  As you point out, many factors such as fatigue and nutrition can come into play.  That is one of the reasons that training exclusively by HR can be difficult and you see bike training being very focused on Power (power output doesn't lie) and other disciplines sprinkling in perceived exertion as a measure.

In a holistic sense - you really need to look at a variety of factors to understand what your body is experiencing and telling you to do.

2011-05-25 11:15 AM
in reply to: #3436601

User image

Expert
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Subject: Nutrition

Let's talk about nutrition.  I understand good carbs, high protein, good fats and lots of water.  I can do all of that with no problem.

My issues are with dairy.  I really like milk and feel like I need what's in it because osteoporosis runs in my family.  I'm thinking the leg cramps that I've been getting may be due to low calcium, so I have added my calcium supplements back in.

I don't understand why Maffetone, for example, seems to be ok with cream cheese, cottage cheese, ricotta cheese and I think yogurt but not milk.  I used to do Ovaltine and milk for a recovery drink after workouts.  If I understand Paleo for athletes, you don't do dairy.  What do you do for it instead?

So tri-warriors, your thoughts?

Edited by jdiis 2011-05-25 11:16 AM
2011-05-25 11:50 AM
in reply to: #3518047

User image

Maple Grove, MN
Subject: RE: Nutrition
jdiis - 2011-05-25 11:15 AM

Let's talk about nutrition.  I understand good carbs, high protein, good fats and lots of water.  I can do all of that with no problem.

My issues are with dairy.  I really like milk and feel like I need what's in it because osteoporosis runs in my family.  I'm thinking the leg cramps that I've been getting may be due to low calcium, so I have added my calcium supplements back in.

I don't understand why Maffetone, for example, seems to be ok with cream cheese, cottage cheese, ricotta cheese and I think yogurt but not milk.  I used to do Ovaltine and milk for a recovery drink after workouts.  If I understand Paleo for athletes, you don't do dairy.  What do you do for it instead?

Jackie, 

My guess is that Maffetone doesn't like straight milk because a cup of straight milk has 13 grams of sugar carbs.  A cup of ricotta cheese has hardly any sugar carbs.  But that is just a guess.  

I don't drink straight milk, but that's just a preference thing.  I do put 1/2 and 1/2 in my coffee and eat lots of cheese.  

2011-05-25 12:35 PM
in reply to: #3518111

User image

Veteran
Colorado Springs

Good Question Jackie....  

Since my nutrition is horrible!  I drink skim milk with ovaltine as my recovery drink too.  After reading the book I have recommitted myself to eggs for breakfast and stop with the cream cheese and wheat toast.  Dinners for me is well rounded, I cook a good bit of jasmine rice though.  I was using frozen veggies but I am going to switch bacK to steaming fresh...  I found lunches and snacks a huge issue.  I was grabbing a handful of nuts here and there but that's it.  What do you snack on??

2011-05-25 1:24 PM
in reply to: #3518111

User image

Master
Dallas
older2533 - 2011-05-25 11:50 AM
jdiis - 2011-05-25 11:15 AM

Jackie, 

My guess is that Maffetone doesn't like straight milk because a cup of straight milk has 13 grams of sugar carbs.  A cup of ricotta cheese has hardly any sugar carbs.  But that is just a guess.  

I don't drink straight milk, but that's just a preference thing.  I do put 1/2 and 1/2 in my coffee and eat lots of cheese.  

Chris is right on the money, it's all about the "bad" carbs of the milk that you will not find in cheese. Real cheeses (emmental, gruyere, fontina, riccota, etc) still have the calcium but zero carbs. The other issue that Maffetone sees is lactose intolerance, which he says ALL humans have at different levels.

I did not quit milk however, I like it too much.

2011-05-25 1:38 PM
in reply to: #3518047

User image

Expert

Thanks Chris and Ernesto.  Think I'll do milk in moderation. 

Jen, my snacks include:  oranges, apples with almond butter or peanut butter, celery with cream cheese or almond or peanut butter, cottage cheese, can of tuna, greek yogurt with honey, cheese sticks, cashews, almonds, small ripe bananas, strawberries, cherries, and grapefruit.  That's all I can remember right now.

Next I'm going to have to concentrate on reducing my body fat percentage.

2011-05-25 1:51 PM
in reply to: #3516757

User image

Expert
mikjamlec - 2011-05-24 4:51 PM
jdiis - 2011-05-23 10:00 PM

Mike,

Thanks for the encouragement.  I've opted to not do the race this weekend.  Ernesto recommended the Metroplex and it looks like fun and a good test for me.

I'm curious about the Tejas Triathlon.  You said it almost made you give up triathlons completely.  Why?

OK, sorry for the long post, but you asked!  :) . . .

Thanks Mike.  I have been reading about the first OWS tris that people have done.  A lot of people seem to also panic in the water, even if they have been doing a lot of OWS.  Have you thought that it might not have been that particular race, but rather that it was your FIRST OWS one and could have happened anywhere?

I'm so glad that your family gave you the inspiration that you needed to continue.  We are all athletes, some of us just got exposed to it earlier in life (not me).  My high school kids can't believe that when I went to high school, we didn't even have sports for women.  My how times have changed.

I like when Ernesto recommended that Jen not do IM UK just because her husband was doing it.  I feel that I have grown so much over the last few months under Ernesto's guidance.  I have learned to give up some short term wants for some longer term payoffs.  I also like when he told Chris that you don't get faster when you are working out, but when you are recovering on the sofa in front of the TV (or for me with a good book).  So, training = work + rest.

Looking forward to seeing you at one of the races.

Edited by jdiis 2011-05-25 1:54 PM
2011-05-25 2:17 PM

User image

Regular
Got my Maffetone book last evening. Although I do plan to read from cover-to-cover eventually... but until then are there any sections that should be focused first? I was going to have a look at nutrition first because my eating habits are bad and I still lug few too many lbs.
2011-05-25 2:43 PM
in reply to: #3518531

User image

Master
Dallas
ironbaby - 2011-05-25 2:17 PM Got my Maffetone book last evening. Although I do plan to read from cover-to-cover eventually... but until then are there any sections that should be focused first? I was going to have a look at nutrition first because my eating habits are bad and I still lug few too many lbs.
From cover to cover, no waste in that book whatsoever. He addresses everything around endurance training and racing just like the name of the book says. Read the whole thing and take notes.
2011-05-25 2:51 PM
in reply to: #3518425

User image

Master
Dallas
jdiis - 2011-05-25 1:38 PM

Thanks Chris and Ernesto.  Think I'll do milk in moderation. 

Jen, my snacks include:  oranges, apples with almond butter or peanut butter, celery with cream cheese or almond or peanut butter, cottage cheese, can of tuna, greek yogurt with honey, cheese sticks, cashews, almonds, small ripe bananas, strawberries, cherries, and grapefruit.  That's all I can remember right now.

Next I'm going to have to concentrate on reducing my body fat percentage.

Don't worry about losing weight, it comes alone when training and eating properly. Your body will find its ideal race weight on its own. Just stick to the plan like you've already been doing.

Thanks for the kind words, I feel that what I'm trying to share in this forum is appreciated and I'm fortunate to have you guys too. You are all wonderful athletes and smart people.

The other day out of curiosity I went to a couple of other mentor groups to check it out and it gave me the impression they were more on the social side of the sport (which is great too), but I believe our main focus is learning from each other to become better at doing this crazy thing. We all are at different maturity levels when it comes to racing but I thing what is common to us all is that we love toeing off at the beach start feeling the excitment of the challenge to come. We live that passion every day too.

2011-05-25 2:56 PM
in reply to: #3518602

User image

Expert

evillarroel - 2011-05-25 2:43 PM
ironbaby - 2011-05-25 2:17 PM Got my Maffetone book last evening. Although I do plan to read from cover-to-cover eventually... but until then are there any sections that should be focused first? I was going to have a look at nutrition first because my eating habits are bad and I still lug few too many lbs.
From cover to cover, no waste in that book whatsoever. He addresses everything around endurance training and racing just like the name of the book says. Read the whole thing and take notes.

+1 I'm re-reading it for the second time.  And after I read Born to Run, I may read it again.  I like it because it's got technical stuff but written so an average person can understand it.

Edited by jdiis 2011-05-25 2:57 PM

2011-05-25 2:58 PM

User image

Expert

Ernesto and Dallas people,

Did you all have any damage from the storms and hail yesterday?  Anyone out running?

Edited by jdiis 2011-05-25 2:59 PM
2011-05-25 5:56 PM
in reply to: #3515778

User image

Expert
Guatemala
evillarroel - 2011-05-24 8:52 AM
sirgab - 2011-05-23 11:30 PM

Gabe,

If you have iTunes I have found some incredibly nice training programs (for the self coached athlete) that Endurance Nation is publishing in the Podcasts section of the store. Coach Rich and Patrick are great at the Ironman and Half Ironman distance.

Those guys and Mark Allen Online are the best training programs I have found, they focus on putting meaningful work and getting return on investment, instead of raking in “junk” miles.

The good thing about the Endurance Nation programs is that they are free of charge and downloadable. Pay close attention to what they say and particularly to the Podcast called “the Basic Week” which is a template (that you can twitch) for endurance training.

AboutChicago, all you will have to do is lengthen your runs for base two weeks after your Half is done with.

@Ernesto,

Thanks for the tips on Endurance Nation and Mark Allen, I will go ahead and download the EN podcasts right now.  

Similarly, what are some good videos to enhance indoor bike training that you or anyone else recommends?

BTW, how is your recovery going?  Since I was still sore yesterday after my Sunday 1/2M race, I cannot imagine how you must be feeling after a full IM?

Saludos,

Gabriel

2011-05-25 8:05 PM

User image

Master
Dallas
Gabe, spinervals DVD is the best series of indoor cycling workouts out there. You will sweat your guts out. Recovery is going incredibly better than my first ironman, going for my first run tomorrow at noon very easy to start flushing the leg muscles. It may sound gross but I've been drinking tons of water and urinating battery acid. Clear sign that the healing is already taking place.When you get DVDs for the bike, make sure you get the ones that are focused in less than an hour. They have a series for long distance tempo rides that I find tedious for indoors.

Edited by evillarroel 2011-05-25 8:09 PM
2011-05-25 9:10 PM

User image

Veteran
Colorado Springs

Ernesto...  I have two questions..  Tomorrow's run, should I just do an easy run or a tempo...  With 2 hours for the 1/2 marathon my pace has to be 9:25 or less...  Should I run this or my 5k pce that is targeted to be around 8:30.. and for how long (distance or time should I run?)

Also, you mentioned not to train at the same time as my husband.  I completely understand this however...  When we move I will not be working outside the home.  He is giving he the luxury of not working at all but I will as time permits sell and ship my eggrolls and hopefully sell pampered chef items...  Other than that I can train while the children are in school.  Whether I'm training or not I will still be the one caring for the home.   Does that change your thoughts?

2011-05-25 9:47 PM
in reply to: #3519187

User image

Master
Dallas
jenputnam - 2011-05-25 9:10 PM

Ernesto...  I have two questions..  Tomorrow's run, should I just do an easy run or a tempo...  With 2 hours for the 1/2 marathon my pace has to be 9:25 or less...  Should I run this or my 5k pce that is targeted to be around 8:30.. and for how long (distance or time should I run?)

Also, you mentioned not to train at the same time as my husband.  I completely understand this however...  When we move I will not be working outside the home.  He is giving he the luxury of not working at all but I will as time permits sell and ship my eggrolls and hopefully sell pampered chef items...  Other than that I can train while the children are in school.  Whether I'm training or not I will still be the one caring for the home.   Does that change your thoughts?

Only you know your times and situations. If you think it will not be conflictive then go for it. Just know the facts: ironman training is VERY demanding.About the runs leave short and fast for weekdays and long on saturday or Sunday. So I would say go tempo.

2011-05-25 10:17 PM

User image

Expert
Subject: Bike TT 2 PR

Ok, something is working like it's supposed to.  I HAD to ride the TT course again tonight because I had NEW tires.  It was 95 degrees out. 

I set another PR 14.9 MPH, no drafting.  I have been riding for 5 years and kept trying to figure out how to go faster than 13 or 13.5.  I'm not exactly sure what has happened, but I have moved through that wall two weeks in a row now.  I'm just hoping that I can figure out what is happening so I don't inadvertently do something to hinder it.

2011-05-26 8:57 AM
in reply to: #3519108

User image

Veteran
Colorado Springs

I LOVE the Spinervals DVDs...  I used Recharge 12.0 to start out...  It's a shorter workout but it's awesome and one of the easier ones.  The other one is Recovery and Technique 8.0.  I have aero Base builders too that are recommended for pre and post season but I used them alot since I am so new to cycling.  

I finally got the heart rate monitor to work.  I am going on a run today.  I want to put in about 5 miles at a pace of 8:45 but I also want to watch where my heart rate is going with it.  According to the 180 minus my age and + 5 for being injury free since the beginning... puts my Aerobic training HR at 147..  we shall see how that works with the pace I want to run....  I'll slow done if my HR gets to high!

2011-05-26 8:59 AM
in reply to: #3519269

User image

Veteran
Colorado Springs
Subject: RE: Bike TT 2 PR
Jackie that is AWESOME!!!!  Way to go!!!!!!!!
2011-05-26 9:17 AM

User image

Veteran
Colorado Springs

LAst question....

I looked up the Endurance Nation..  Any particular podcast..  I see the most popular is episode 17 with Coach Rich...

2011-05-26 9:46 AM
in reply to: #3519730

User image

Master
Dallas
jenputnam - 2011-05-26 9:17 AM

LAst question....

I looked up the Endurance Nation..  Any particular podcast..  I see the most popular is episode 17 with Coach Rich...

They have no waste, download them all except for the race report ones. It is just propaganda to sell their coaching. The one called "basic week" is PERFECT for people training for halves and fulls.

2011-05-26 10:22 AM

User image

Master

I just finished Born to Run last night and i can't recommend it enough! 

Key takeaways:

• Humans evolved into the intelligent creatures we are today because we developed the ability to run long distances at moderate paces.
  • Our entire body from how our head and neck are connected, to the size of our head, the size of our gluteals, our ability to breath at a distinct rhythmm separate from stride rhythmm, the design of our feet, the number of nerves in our feet, the high number of tendons in our legs, and our ability to sweat all contribute to or are connected to our ability to run.
  • Our feet and legs are engineered to support running wihout fancy shoes and the shoe companies and top running coaches have known for years that the more cushion and motion control built into the shoe the more injuries that result. 
  • Running should be fun and bring joy to you.  Think of what it was like when you were a kid and you ran all summer long.
  • The fatigue from a long or intense run is the demon you must face but ultimately makes you a stromger person as you gain an understanding of your ability to perservere and push through.

There are tons of more lessons in the book - easy read - and worthwile.

So - I will drink the kool-aid and get me some Merrell barefoot shoes and retrain my feet and legs to run as intended.  I'll make a commitment to myself to put away my mp3 player on my runs and use the time to meditate and go within myself and just run.  I will slow down and focus on the journey instead of the destination (while sprinkling in some tempo, pace and intervals).  Just really pumped about getting back to my running heritage - sounds kind of hokey and hippy-ish but the book really inspired me.

2011-05-26 11:23 AM
in reply to: #3519895

User image

Maple Grove, MN
dangremond - 2011-05-26 10:22 AM

So - I will drink the kool-aid and get me some Merrell barefoot shoes and retrain my feet and legs to run as intended.  

I have both the Merrell's and Vibram Five Fingers (two pairs).  I wear the Merrell Tough Gloves (a leather version of the Trail Gloves.  Still part of their "barefoot" line) as my everyday work shoe.  I find the Five Fingers much closer to barefoot than the Merrell's.  In fact, the running VFF, the Bikila, is farther from barefoot than my other pair, VFF Sprints.   Also, try running a little bit, say a half mile, slowly and completely barefoot now and then.   It helps with the form for running in VFF's.  And for both, work up the mileage very slowly.  Your calves will thank you.

2011-05-26 11:33 AM
in reply to: #3519269

User image

Veteran
Chicago, Illinois
jdiis - 2011-05-25 10:17 PM

Ok, something is working like it's supposed to.  I HAD to ride the TT course again tonight because I had NEW tires.  It was 95 degrees out. 

I set another PR 14.9 MPH, no drafting.  I have been riding for 5 years and kept trying to figure out how to go faster than 13 or 13.5.  I'm not exactly sure what has happened, but I have moved through that wall two weeks in a row now.  I'm just hoping that I can figure out what is happening so I don't inadvertently do something to hinder it.

I wish sometimes that I lived in the Texas area to have someone to workout with but increasingly I won't be able to keep up with you folks!  

Congrats Jackie!

2011-05-26 11:34 AM
in reply to: #3520049

User image

Veteran
Chicago, Illinois
Question. How often should you change the tires on your bike?
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Ernesto's group - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 84