of 84

2011-04-08 2:18 PM

User image

Master
Dallas
Subject: Ernesto's group - CLOSED

WHEN CAN YOU START MENTORING CONSISTENTLY: I can start mentoring immediately

NAME: username: evillarroel / first name: Ernest

STORY: I am a very busy person, father of five, work for an oil company and had a short (only two and a half years) career as a triathlete although a very succesful one having completed a full Ironman in 12 hours 14 minutes a year after I started doing this.

FAMILY STATUS: Married to a beautiful woman, Schoolteacher (kinder) and father. I'm originally from Argentina. 

CURRENT TRAINING: I train an average nine hours a week, I'm very well rounded in all three sports, not the fastest but very, very consistent. I started getting podium finishes lately but not first place (yet).

THIS YEAR'S RACES: This year 2011 I did the inaugural Ironman Puerto Rico 70.3 and the inaugural Ironman Texas (full), then I'll probably go back to some base during the summer and maybe do another 70.3 and a few Olympics and Sprints maybe. 
2010 RACES:  I did two 70.3s (NOLA and Austin) and had my share of humble pie due to mispacing the bike in Austin (and a flat tire).

WEIGHTLOSS: I lost 20 lbs in a month when I started doing this (in conjuction with dieting). 

WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD MENTOR: I collected a lot of information (I'm a bit of a geek) about triathlons. I have a very hollistic approach to this whole thing (training/rest/nutrition) and I can put all this very simple to anyone. I've already mentored other people this year and from what I've heard I've been very good, I respond to messages quickly and as accurate as possible. Between my mentees I had everything ranging from a first timer to a very seasoned athlete. Also, I understand the anxiety, nervousness and self doubt that you have at the beginning of this journey. I thought myself that I'd never finish a sprint and thirteen months later I was crossing the finish line of Ironman Arizona with an impecable race.
I'm super passionate about triathlons. 

Edited by evillarroel 2011-06-10 1:13 PM

2011-04-25 10:33 AM
in reply to: #3436601

User image

Veteran
www.multisportbargains.com
Subject: RE: Ernesto's group - OPEN
Ernesto, add me!
2011-04-25 4:22 PM

User image

Master
Dallas
You're in. Please tell me about you and what you expect from the group.
2011-04-25 7:40 PM

User image

Veteran
Chicago, Illinois
Hi Ernesto! Please add me as well.
2011-04-25 7:53 PM

User image

Subject: Mentor Program
Hi:

I am trying to get back after 4 yrs out due to IT Band on right leg. 37yrs female...very busy marine biolgist in PR but ready for the challenge!!! Triathlon day is june 12, sprint.
2011-04-25 7:54 PM
in reply to: #3465607

User image

Master
Dallas

baurryman - 2011-04-25 7:40 PM Hi Ernesto! Please add me as well.

Welcome back Barry!

2011-04-25 7:55 PM
in reply to: #3465640

User image

Master
Dallas
Subject: RE: Mentor Program

yubi - 2011-04-25 7:53 PM Hi: I am trying to get back after 4 yrs out due to IT Band on right leg. 37yrs female...very busy marine biolgist in PR but ready for the challenge!!! Triathlon day is june 12, sprint.

You mean PR for Puerto Rico? I love the Island, I just raced the Ironman 70.3 race in San Juan 5 weeks ago. Welcome to the group. What's your name BTW?

2011-04-25 8:45 PM

User image

Expert
Guatemala

Hello Ernesto,

My name is Gabriel and I'm interested in joining your group. 

I'm from Guatemala and after living over 13 abroad (2 in Chicago getting my MBA and the rest in SF/Bay Area and Pasadena, CA; where I enjoyed great road and mt bike riding), I'm now back in Guatemala City.  I'm also married and a proud father of two lovely girls!

After years of innactivity, I began running last July to train for my 1st 1/2 marathon a month later, and did well while having a blast.  I've been enjoying training ever since and in the past 8 months have completed a couple of 1/2 marathons as well as my first 2 Sprint distance triathlons.  I'm totally excited about triathlons now and plan on doing my first Olympic Tri this month and my first 1/2 IM tri at the end of August.  Ideally, I want to shoot for my first full IM distance tri next year.

I'm looking for good sound advice, particularly on improving the structure of my trainings, as well as sharing good stories, recommendations and support messages with other on this group.

Cheers,

Gabriel

2011-04-25 10:43 PM

User image

Expert
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
I'm in.  I see we can add Guatemala to our list of places to visit our fellow mentorees.  Woohoo!
2011-04-26 1:05 AM

User image

Master
Gold Coast Australia.
Hi Ernesto, I'd like to join your group again. Here is my short bio for the reference.

NAME: username: markz / first name: Mark
STORY: This is my 4th year of triathlon training, prior to that I was mainly running for fun. I don't do many races a year. so far I have completed a Sprint in Wisconsin, few Olys in Chicago and one IM 70.3 in Racine. I also have several 1/2 Marys, 3 Marathons and many shorter running races under my belt.
I love being fit and at this point races provide only a minor motivation to workout. I don't care about being fast, but rather get the kick from being able to do the distance. Still, love the races, the excitement etc. and  this time I am getting ready for IM. 
I'm 'originally' from Poland, but since lived in Austria, USA (LA, Hawaii, Chicago) and now Australia.
FAMILY STATUS: Married to a beautiful Colombian girl (I am still not speaking Spanish, just the bad words, body parts etc.), we have a beautiful 3 yo daughter.
CURRENT TRAINING: I don't follow any training plans, just make sure I can comfortably do the distance. My OWS include 4k swims now, some of the bike rides are in the mountains and running is sort of in the maintenance mode, but still do occasional 20+ kms LSD. I know I need to do some more really long bike rides, but it has been pouring here for months now and it's hard to time it.  On top of it I will have to travel to Poland again soon for a month or so to sell our house and it's middle of winter there.
THIS YEAR'S RACES: Signed up for my first IM Australia in Port Macuarie in May 1st 2011! The goal is just to finish it, really.
Other than that I might do another Marathon here on the Gold Coast in July. 
2010 RACES:  10k running race in my home town in Poland and a Marathon here on the Gold Coast, Australia.
WEIGHTLOSS: I'm one of the lucky ones who never have to worry about it. As long as I remember my weight has been 150 lbs, give or take a few. I have been a vegetarian almost all my life, maybe that has something to do with it, I don't know.
2011-04-26 6:37 AM
in reply to: #3465748

User image

Master
Dallas
sirgab - 2011-04-25 8:45 PM

Hello Ernesto,

My name is Gabriel and I'm interested in joining your group. 

I'm from Guatemala and after living over 13 abroad (2 in Chicago getting my MBA and the rest in SF/Bay Area and Pasadena, CA; where I enjoyed great road and mt bike riding), I'm now back in Guatemala City.  I'm also married and a proud father of two lovely girls!

After years of innactivity, I began running last July to train for my 1st 1/2 marathon a month later, and did well while having a blast.  I've been enjoying training ever since and in the past 8 months have completed a couple of 1/2 marathons as well as my first 2 Sprint distance triathlons.  I'm totally excited about triathlons now and plan on doing my first Olympic Tri this month and my first 1/2 IM tri at the end of August.  Ideally, I want to shoot for my first full IM distance tri next year.

I'm looking for good sound advice, particularly on improving the structure of my trainings, as well as sharing good stories, recommendations and support messages with other on this group.

Cheers,

Gabriel

Welcome Gabriel! Your goals are perfectly attainable but it will require a serious commitment. You should start building a foundation base for your upcoming races with long stuff at low(er) intensities. We'll talk some more. Which half are you planning on doing in August?

2011-04-26 6:39 AM

User image

Master
Dallas

Mark and Jackie: Welcome back!!!

Mark,

How do you feel with only 4 days to your Ironman?

2011-04-26 2:51 PM
in reply to: #3466007

User image

Master
Gold Coast Australia.
evillarroel - 2011-04-26 6:39 AM

Mark,

Thank you Ernesto, feeling fine and calm, but this rain is worrying me. Apparently the weather pattern is set for the next few days. Oh, well, they don't call it Ironman for nothing...

2011-04-26 5:02 PM
in reply to: #3467211

User image

Master
Dallas
markz - 2011-04-26 2:51 PM
evillarroel - 2011-04-26 6:39 AM

Mark,

Thank you Ernesto, feeling fine and calm, but this rain is worrying me. Apparently the weather pattern is set for the next few days. Oh, well, they don't call it Ironman for nothing...

It only makes for a very slow bike, other than that racing in the rain is not bad unless it is cold. I did a half in September 2009 in a downpour from wire to wire, I couldn't even believe they started the race but they did. It was funny to see the drivers on the road looking at us athletes with some mix of amazement and the face of "what are you doing out in this rain stupid?".

You have got what it takes and you're gonna make us proud Mark. Just go with the spirit of having fun and enjoying the view, Ironman courses are usually scenic.

2011-04-26 5:15 PM
in reply to: #3467521

User image

Master
Gold Coast Australia.

It only makes for a very slow bike, other than that racing in the rain is not bad unless it is cold. I did a half in September 2009 in a downpour from wire to wire, I couldn't even believe they started the race but they did. It was funny to see the drivers on the road looking at us athletes with some mix of amazement and the face of "what are you doing out in this rain stupid?".

You have got what it takes and you're gonna make us proud Mark. Just go with the spirit of having fun and enjoying the view, Ironman courses are usually scenic.

Thanks Ernesto!

That's what worries me about the bike since I'm already slow... The temps will most likely be in low20's C, so no problem here. Oh, I forgot about the wind! But it's a loop so at least one way will be fun.

2011-04-26 5:20 PM
in reply to: #3466004

User image

Expert
Guatemala
evillarroel - 2011-04-26 5:37 AM

Welcome Gabriel! Your goals are perfectly attainable but it will require a serious commitment. You should start building a foundation base for your upcoming races with long stuff at low(er) intensities. We'll talk some more. Which half are you planning on doing in August?

Hey Ernesto, agree with the need for a good foundation base and have been trying to maintain consistency in my trainings.  

I'm planning on doing a local 1/2 IM tri called IronMaya which takes place near the main port of San Jose in the Pacific coast of Guatemala on the 27th of August.  

2011-04-26 10:05 PM

User image

Expert
Subject: Maffetone Aerobic HR Question

Ernesto,

I decided to do an aerobic walk/run tonight.  A few months ago, I couldn't run at all without my HR going anaerobic.  Well, tonight I had to run more of the workout to keep my HR up.  At first I thought maybe the readings were incorrect.

Question:  Is it possible that on the second day of the Two Week Test, I am into a "higher fat-burning state" already and that explains why I could do more work at a lower heart rate?

2011-04-26 10:32 PM
in reply to: #3468064

User image

Master
Dallas
Subject: RE: Maffetone Aerobic HR Question
jdiis - 2011-04-26 10:05 PM

Ernesto,

I decided to do an aerobic walk/run tonight.  A few months ago, I couldn't run at all without my HR going anaerobic.  Well, tonight I had to run more of the workout to keep my HR up.  At first I thought maybe the readings were incorrect.

Question:  Is it possible that on the second day of the Two Week Test, I am into a "higher fat-burning state" already and that explains why I could do more work at a lower heart rate?

Abso-freakin'-lutely! This is a clear indication of a high intolerance to carbohydrates. Welcome to your first endurance epiphany.

2011-04-26 10:35 PM
in reply to: #3467551

User image

Master
Dallas
sirgab - 2011-04-26 5:20 PM

Hey Ernesto, agree with the need for a good foundation base and have been trying to maintain consistency in my trainings.  

I'm planning on doing a local 1/2 IM tri called IronMaya which takes place near the main port of San Jose in the Pacific coast of Guatemala on the 27th of August.  

Gabriel,

How old are you? I've been looking at your log and your HR seems kinda high for an average. Also, your max HR at some points is pretty intense. Maybe you should lower intensity (counter intuitive to most people's idea of endurance training) and focus on steadiness and aerobic numbers. Do you own a Garmin?

2011-04-26 11:20 PM
in reply to: #3468107

User image

Expert
Guatemala
evillarroel - 2011-04-26 9:35 PM
sirgab - 2011-04-26 5:20 PM

Gabriel,

How old are you? I've been looking at your log and your HR seems kinda high for an average. Also, your max HR at some points is pretty intense. Maybe you should lower intensity (counter intuitive to most people's idea of endurance training) and focus on steadiness and aerobic numbers. Do you own a Garmin?

Ernesto,

I'm 42 years old and have been wondering a little about the HR readings.  I own a Garmin Forerunner 305 which is what I use to record all of my runs and most of my bike rides.  I do push myself on some workouts as I feel stronger and more confident with time, but take it easier whenever I feel tired or sick (have been battling constant colds).  I have improved my times significantly on the different races I have participated since I began running 10 months ago (2 1/2Marys, 2 10K's, 2 Sprint tris).  However, I have not felt extremely tired/overextended during my different training sessions, so not sure what to make of my higher HR readings?

Hey Jackie and other members, you are welcome to visit me in beautiful Guatemala anytime Wink

Cheers

Gabriel

2011-04-27 1:30 PM

User image

Master
Dallas

Gabriel,

You have clear symptoms of training over the edge (constant colds is the biggest one). I highly encourage you to purchase the "Big book of Endurance Training and Racing" by Phil Maffetonne. Others in the group can tell you the good things you will pick up from it. Amazon.com has it pretty cheap and trust me on this one, it will be the single biggest investment in your whole endurance career.

2011-04-27 8:40 PM
in reply to: #3469422

User image

Expert
Guatemala
evillarroel - 2011-04-27 12:30 PM

Gabriel,

You have clear symptoms of training over the edge (constant colds is the biggest one). I highly encourage you to purchase the "Big book of Endurance Training and Racing" by Phil Maffetonne. Others in the group can tell you the good things you will pick up from it. Amazon.com has it pretty cheap and trust me on this one, it will be the single biggest investment in your whole endurance career.

Ernesto, thanks for pointing out my higher HR levels and the book recommendation, I will go ahead and purchase it right now.  In the meanwhile, any recommendations as to my current level of exertion and volume of activity? I'm planning on doing my first Oly tri next Sunday, but will play-it-by-ear (b/c I got another cold) and can always choose to do a Sprint instead in case I'm not feeling ready.   

btw, its great to get prompt comments back from you, thanks!

2011-04-27 10:03 PM
in reply to: #3470269

User image

Master
Dallas
sirgab - 2011-04-27 8:40 PM

Gabriel,

Ernesto, thanks for pointing out my higher HR levels and the book recommendation, I will go ahead and purchase it right now.  In the meanwhile, any recommendations as to my current level of exertion and volume of activity? I'm planning on doing my first Oly tri next Sunday, but will play-it-by-ear (b/c I got another cold) and can always choose to do a Sprint instead in case I'm not feeling ready.   

btw, its great to get prompt comments back from you, thanks!

Ok, as far as your running volume, it is superb. You are running a very consistent 20+miles a week which is great. However I notice this:

- You're not doing speedwork.

- You're going too hard on your long runs, as evidenced by your HR.

The way to do speed is to go real hard for very short periods. As an example: warm up 15 minutes running an increasingly easy to moderate pace, take off really fast for only twenty seconds, recover for forty seconds and repeat six times. Finish your run with 15 minutes of warm down.

By doing this, you will do the neuro-mechanical training that speed requires without taxing your body. I have many more examples. Best way to do speed is on the track, so find one if you can.

Your bike is not up to par with your run as far as volume goes, you should be cycling about double what you are doing now. Longer (but easier) rides are needed. The bike is what takes the most time to get good at, because you need a huge aerobic engine for it and because it recruits a lot of muscle fibers.

Swim is fine.

Two questions: why don't you workout on Sundays?

Can you shoot me links to your Garmin files?

2011-04-27 10:38 PM
in reply to: #3470397

User image

Expert
Guatemala
evillarroel - 2011-04-27 9:03 PM
sirgab - 2011-04-27 8:40 PM

Ok, as far as your running volume, it is superb. You are running a very consistent 20+miles a week which is great. However I notice this:

- You're not doing speedwork.

- You're going too hard on your long runs, as evidenced by your HR.

The way to do speed is to go real hard for very short periods. As an example: warm up 15 minutes running an increasingly easy to moderate pace, take off really fast for only twenty seconds, recover for forty seconds and repeat six times. Finish your run with 15 minutes of warm down.

By doing this, you will do the neuro-mechanical training that speed requires without taxing your body. I have many more examples. Best way to do speed is on the track, so find one if you can.

Your bike is not up to par with your run as far as volume goes, you should be cycling about double what you are doing now. Longer (but easier) rides are needed. The bike is what takes the most time to get good at, because you need a huge aerobic engine for it and because it recruits a lot of muscle fibers.

Swim is fine.

Two questions: why don't you workout on Sundays?

Can you shoot me links to your Garmin files?

Agree with your assessment, I need to reinforce my run with speedwork and increase my biking volume (just got a new bike a month ago to replace my 13 year old bike, so ready to pedal more now!)

Regarding your questions, 1) no particular reason for not working on Sundays, other than more than usual family events in April due to the Semana Santa (Holy Week) which is big in Guatemala.  I believe I have done better in other months with my weekend training.

2) What's the easiest way to send you my Garmin files?  I have them recorded both here at BT and also at the Garmin Connect site

Gracias!

2011-04-27 10:42 PM

User image

Expert
Subject: Barefoot Running

Hey Everyone,

Any thoughts on barefoot running and/or the minimalist running shoes like the Vibram Five Finger? 

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Ernesto's group - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 84