General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman Wisconsin : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 45

2012-07-12 1:38 PM
in reply to: #4308192

User image

Veteran
Chicago
Subject: RE: Ironman Wisconsin : Official Thread

IMHO, this kind of "they should feel lucky to have us" attitude pisses the community off more than a few cyclists littering and riding on closed roads. I feel lucky that Madison is such a great host city. The fact is most average citizens probably don't consider the economic benefit of an event like this, and we should not expect them to agree with that sentiment. 

Let me know if I am misinterpreting what you're saying. 

2012-07-12 1:40 PM
in reply to: #4308109

User image

Oshkosh, WI
melle - 2012-07-12 12:53 PM
bcagle25 - 2012-07-12 11:26 AM
sbsmann - 2012-07-12 8:49 AM
wcocco - 2012-07-11 8:38 PM

Oh I also tried this Sunday, walked the plank and carried our bike. Met some of the locals on the other side of the bridge and he stated we would be ticketed for trespassing. We indeed had the police waiting for us coming up the big hill into Mt. Horeb. They simply stated that if the road is closed to cars, it's also closed to bikes. I imangine this has been happening a lot and has many locals complaining. Next time I'm taking the detour! (If I see it, which I didn't on Sunday)

Walinda

That's pretty ridiculous & I hope u were not ticketed.  After crossing that bridge all of those roads are freshly paved and in PERFECT condition so it was treat to be riding them.  Ironically once were we got over the Mt Horeb hill and approaching the roundabout a policeman pulled up next to us in his car and severely scolded us for riding 2 across (even though the shoulder was about 5 feet wide at that point).  Needless to say we got back into single file and continued on. 

I like to think they are just trying to look out for our safety, but I don't know what the issue would be with riding on that closed road because it was in great/new condition and with no cars it was probably the safest road in all of Wisconsin!

Because the road is closed. Why don't people understand this? Bikes have the same laws as cars, can't run stop lights, red lights, etc. but bikes do it all the time! This is why cops also ticket bikers on the corner of Garfoot and KP as they blow through the stop sign every year in August. I am not pointing fingers at anyone, but why do cyclists think they can bend laws because they are on a bike, and then yell at cars for every little law they bend? As long as 92 is closed cyclists should stay off the road and take a detour, it will challenge you more and keep a good relationship with the local community and police. 

Just my $.02 but the bolded statement above says it all.  The people in these communities are stuck with hundreds of cyclists every week, many of whom don't quite get the idea of sharing the road or following the laws.  I have only been on the course approx 6 times but each time out I have seen groups riding 2-3 across, trash (GU packets etc) on the side of the road, cyclists stopped for meetings at intersections etc.  I can understand why the police and locals get irritated with us.  Just use common sense and treat the roads like you live in the area.

Yes I completely agree. I was stupid and should have brought a map with. My smart phone is useless when trying to look at a map outside. This had only been my 2nd time on the course, but I should have payed more attention when there was talk of construction on the course. Next time we will NOT be going down closed roads!

2012-07-12 2:03 PM
in reply to: #4308192

User image

Expert
Madison, Wisconsin
sbsmann - 2012-07-12 1:30 PM

The situation is this.  Not everyone has ridden the entire course before and sometimes people have very limited opportunities to get to Madison to ride it.  I suspect those of you suggesting we ride the detour are also people who have ridden the entire course numerous times and are familiar with every road, hill & turn.  Some of us are not and when we go out to Madison for our first and only time, we want to see the entire course exactly as it is going to be on race day.  If that involves riding on a short segment of closed road and risking a ticket, that is our choice.  Just as we all speed and violate many traffic laws daily, riding a bike on a closed section of road is not really a significant offense & people are going to continue to take that risk.  That's just life.

Second, there are less than a dozen certified Ironman courses in the United States and Wisconsin/Madison is truly blessed to host this event.  The bad (if you really want to call it that) will always come with the good and let's face it, the good is that Ironman brings millions of dollars into Madison and Wisconsin.  In addition, cyclists riding the course all summer brings additional revenue to the many businesses of Madison.  That is a LOT of good and the bad is....well, VERY insignificant.

IMO the communities should embrace the people & revenue that Ironman & the people bring to their cities.  The types of problems and crimes we are committing as cyclists are so minor in scope, that we shouldn't even be talking about this topic.

I understand the position you are in with wanting to ride the course in it's entirety before hand, but sometimes that is just not possible. This has become such a concern, Verona requested the route be changed last year as it was becoming such a problem over the past few years. The sad truth is the IM loop is a very insignificant part of the beautiful and challenging roads that surround the area. The 2016 Olympic road race was supposed to be around Blue Mounds, check out that ride! IM athletes are ribbing themselves of some great riding by limiting themselves to a 40 miles loop.

As for the economic benefit, well unfortunately Madison host several larger events yearly, I think the dairy expo is the largest, Ironman is just a small speck that really only benefits Madison and not Verona, Cross Plains, Mt. Horeb, etc. Plus there is a little thing called Badger football that brings in well over 80,000 people into town for 7 weekends in the fall. 

As I stated before I am not trying to point fingers, and or blame certain people, but respect must be given. Every year the course is littered, abused, and locals grow more and more angry. Is it really worth riding a 5 mile stretch that has one false flat, and one small hill into Mt. Horeb? Pre-driving the course does virtually the same thing as pre-riding. 

On a side note I talked to a friend that lives in Mt. Horeb. Her commute into Madison the day of Ironman is extended by almost 90 minutes. yes this is once out of the year, but that is the sacrifice they make to let us have our race on their roads. All I ask is the laws be followed an respect be given, no one is above anyone else here so lets all just play by the rules. 

2012-07-12 2:19 PM
in reply to: #4308286

User image

Master
Great post Ben!
2012-07-12 3:08 PM
in reply to: #4308286

User image

Expert
Menomonee Falls, WI
bcagle25 - 2012-07-12 2:03 PM
sbsmann - 2012-07-12 1:30 PM

The situation is this.  Not everyone has ridden the entire course before and sometimes people have very limited opportunities to get to Madison to ride it.  I suspect those of you suggesting we ride the detour are also people who have ridden the entire course numerous times and are familiar with every road, hill & turn.  Some of us are not and when we go out to Madison for our first and only time, we want to see the entire course exactly as it is going to be on race day.  If that involves riding on a short segment of closed road and risking a ticket, that is our choice.  Just as we all speed and violate many traffic laws daily, riding a bike on a closed section of road is not really a significant offense & people are going to continue to take that risk.  That's just life.

Second, there are less than a dozen certified Ironman courses in the United States and Wisconsin/Madison is truly blessed to host this event.  The bad (if you really want to call it that) will always come with the good and let's face it, the good is that Ironman brings millions of dollars into Madison and Wisconsin.  In addition, cyclists riding the course all summer brings additional revenue to the many businesses of Madison.  That is a LOT of good and the bad is....well, VERY insignificant.

IMO the communities should embrace the people & revenue that Ironman & the people bring to their cities.  The types of problems and crimes we are committing as cyclists are so minor in scope, that we shouldn't even be talking about this topic.

I understand the position you are in with wanting to ride the course in it's entirety before hand, but sometimes that is just not possible. This has become such a concern, Verona requested the route be changed last year as it was becoming such a problem over the past few years. The sad truth is the IM loop is a very insignificant part of the beautiful and challenging roads that surround the area. The 2016 Olympic road race was supposed to be around Blue Mounds, check out that ride! IM athletes are ribbing themselves of some great riding by limiting themselves to a 40 miles loop.

As for the economic benefit, well unfortunately Madison host several larger events yearly, I think the dairy expo is the largest, Ironman is just a small speck that really only benefits Madison and not Verona, Cross Plains, Mt. Horeb, etc. Plus there is a little thing called Badger football that brings in well over 80,000 people into town for 7 weekends in the fall. 

As I stated before I am not trying to point fingers, and or blame certain people, but respect must be given. Every year the course is littered, abused, and locals grow more and more angry. Is it really worth riding a 5 mile stretch that has one false flat, and one small hill into Mt. Horeb? Pre-driving the course does virtually the same thing as pre-riding. 

On a side note I talked to a friend that lives in Mt. Horeb. Her commute into Madison the day of Ironman is extended by almost 90 minutes. yes this is once out of the year, but that is the sacrifice they make to let us have our race on their roads. All I ask is the laws be followed an respect be given, no one is above anyone else here so lets all just play by the rules. 

What is the significant problem?  The sheer number of riders on the weekend?

I might not be in-tune to what the real problem is on the loop?  I can't speak for the cities or what their specific complaints are about the cyclists, but if we are talking about issues like littering, urinating in public and illegal automobile parking in order to accommodate riders of the loop, I can definitely understand their concerns and I would hope most of us are diligent and use common sense on these things.

In this particular post I was talking about a short strip of detour that was being ridden by some of us who have never ridden the course.  My point is that this particular act is probably not causing anyone any issues or any type of hazard to the community.  In fact I doubt the communities are raising any concerns about that at all.  If you want to loosely consider that a violation of the law like j-walking then let's call it that.  However, I do think if some of those offense I mention above are causing issues than they definitely need to be addressed and I would hope as a group, we are respectful and careful with how we handle ourselves out on the course.  I do believe most cyclists are very cognizant of obeying traffic laws and are very respectful to the various communities. 

Unfortunately on the flip side, I also think the communities, motorists & law enforcement need to have a mutual respect for us as a group and realize that most of us are not causing many problems.

2012-07-12 4:18 PM
in reply to: #4308430

Master
Northern IL
No, the problem is that nobody who does any of those things thinks it's that big a deal, or it's only one time. But it's not one time. And it's the cumulation of all of them together. All of these people do it and think they are the exception. I haven't ridden on the loop this year, but have ridden another a few times that overlaps it, and every time there are cyclists out on the IMWI loop. There are cyclists on there very regularly. If you ride it, you will most certainly see someone else there too.

2012-07-14 8:22 AM
in reply to: #3693947

User image

Master
Lexington, KY

I know this has come up before, but I can't find the answer in the archives...

Any recommendations on places to OWS in the Madison area?  I'll be spending some time on the bike course next week and would like to try to squeeze a swim in as well.

2012-07-14 9:39 AM
in reply to: #4311259

User image

Champion
Verona WI--Ironman Bike Country!
wiky - 2012-07-14 8:22 AM

I know this has come up before, but I can't find the answer in the archives...

Any recommendations on places to OWS in the Madison area?  I'll be spending some time on the bike course next week and would like to try to squeeze a swim in as well.

Depending on where you're staying, the options I would consider are 1) the quarry in Verona at Fireman's park which is close to where SN is set up-very low weeds and no boats, 2) Wingra at Vilas park which is part of the arb.  No motor boats, but weedy, 3) Governor Dodg State Park which is convenient if you're in the Milddleton area, 4) Picnic Point on campus.  My last resort would be Lake Monona if you're alone because of the early morning boat traffic or late afternoon ski practice.

Edited by SSMinnow 2012-07-14 9:40 AM
2012-07-14 11:18 AM
in reply to: #4311307

User image

Master
Lexington, KY
Excellent -  Thanks Suzy!
2012-07-14 7:04 PM

User image

Expert
A little slice of paradise

The detour below is marked Well with RED paint and arrows saying Detour. The Detour is a much better workout than actually riding on 92. You will not be missing out on any hills, but infact you will be riding more hills on the below detour.  Enjoy and be safe.

FYI Uphill Grind and coffee,which is located on the course in Crossplains has a mobile repair van if you need assitance while riding on the course call    608-413-0068

Messerschmidt to Hwy 92.
Right on Hwy 92 about 100yds to Town Hall Rd.
Right on Town Hall Rd. to Cty Hwy S.
Left on Cty Hwy S to Witte Rd.
Right on Witte Rd. to Cty Hwy J.
Right on Cty Hwy J which puts you back on the route.

Edited by FredsRider 2012-07-14 7:06 PM
2012-07-14 9:30 PM
in reply to: #4311741

User image

Champion
FredsRider - 2012-07-14 7:04 PM

The detour below is marked Well with RED paint and arrows saying Detour. The Detour is a much better workout than actually riding on 92. You will not be missing out on any hills, but infact you will be riding more hills on the below detour.  Enjoy and be safe.

FYI Uphill Grind and coffee,which is located on the course in Crossplains has a mobile repair van if you need assitance while riding on the course call    608-413-0068

Messerschmidt to Hwy 92.

Thanks for the info!  I love the AAA for bikes.   I had no idea they offered it.  So given the route, we totally miss the Mt Horeb BP water stop.  Is there a way to get back to water?

2012-07-15 7:52 AM
in reply to: #4311853

User image

Expert
A little slice of paradise
SSMinnow - 2012-07-14 9:30 PM
FredsRider - 2012-07-14 7:04 PM

Messerschmidt to Hwy 92.

Thanks for the info!  I love the AAA for bikes.   I had no idea they offered it.  So given the route, we totally miss the Mt Horeb BP water stop.  Is there a way to get back to water?

Suzy

Following the above detour, if you do not turn on Whitte Road but continue straight on County S until that ends then turn left on 8th Street you can get to the MT Horeb BP at the round about. It is only about 2 miles to the BPgas station from Whitte road.  Other than that for water, Uphill Grind in Crossplains is the next stop. They are fabulous, ice/water, all types of powdered sports drinks, bathrooms, tea, snacks, etc.

Yes the AAA for bikes is terrific. Last year I had the misfortune of getting 2 flats (only carried 1 tube), at separate places, while riding the loop, called Uphill Grind and Michael came to  the rescue.

Nicole

2012-07-16 7:01 AM
in reply to: #4312041

User image

this isn't exactly related to the issues as hand, but as far as going around baracades on closed roads...you are potentially causing much more drama than it is worth.

Feel free to read this court case, and note all of the drama that was a result of people taking it upon themselves to ignore the closed signs.

you might not think it's a big deal, and you are just going around a small barrier, but... what happens if you get injured?

anyway just an FYI.

http://mn.findacase.com/research/wfrmDocViewer.aspx/xq/fac.19570510_0005.MN.htm/qx

but hopefully we can move past this topic, and get back to the Race Information. less than 2 months - Get Stoked!

2012-07-18 10:20 AM

User image

Expert
I can run again!  Yay!  we are 2.5 weeks since my last real  run.  Hopefully I haven't lost too much run fitness!
2012-07-18 1:54 PM

User image

Regular
Grand Rapids, MI
Do you all think we'll be wetsuit legal this year?  It's been really hot for quite a while now. 
2012-07-18 2:39 PM

User image

New user

St. Louis, MO

This will be my first IM so I'm really hoping so since the swim is my weakest part.  I'm from out of town too so I don't know anything about lake monona but according to the usgs site the water temps so far look on par with last year.  Need to some cooler Aug nights to cool it down.

http://nwis.waterdata.usgs.gov/nwis/uv?cb_00065=on&cb_00010=on&format=gif_default&begin_date=2010-07-18&end_date=2012-07-18&site_no=05429000

2012-07-18 2:43 PM
in reply to: #4318428

User image

Veteran
Chicago

Selfishly, I sure hope it is not wet suit legal. I hate wearing one, and I'm a good swimmer without, so if it's illegal, I get a bigger lead out of the water than I would otherwise. 

On the other hand, I'd be very surprised if it is not wet suit legal. The midwest always gets hot in the summer, and IIRC I don't think it's ever not been legal in the past ten years. 

2012-07-20 5:54 AM

User image

Oshkosh, WI

I feel as though I haven't had enough "Mental Toughness days" during my Ironman training, so I decided to kick up a notch and ride 4 1/2 hours in the rain yesterday. (FYI I checked the radar, and it was just overcast, NOT raining) I was actually doing really good, welcoming the rain but with the temperature in the 60's and the wind picking up during the last half I was starting to turn sour. I couldn't look at my smartphone once again, because of the rain and I didn't have a dry spot on me to wipe it off.

After a kind lady asked me if I needed help and brings me into her nice warm, dry house. At this point I want to run into her shower and warm up.

Me: "Yes, I'm looking for County RD T, but apparently it just ends here?"

Her: "Yes this turns into School Ave. Where are you trying to go?"

Me: "Back to Fond u lac, where my car is parked. I thought Co Rd T would take me right back to my car."

Her: "Oh! Well you're not headed to Fond u lac!" Her Husband: "This is Sheboygen County, not Fondulac County, there are 2 County Road T's."

Me with a confused look on my face: "oh?"

Anywho the kind women loaded me and my bike in her car and drove me the right Co. RD T, which was 10 miles in the opposite direction.

Paper Maps!!! When will I learn?! Undecided

50 days until IRONMAN!!! ARE YOU EXCITED??

Walinda

Also, I would recommend my route I took yesterday, minus the cold and rain. It's called the Birky Challenge. Starts in Fondulac and heads out into the Kettle Moraine area, beautiful and some fun hills.

2012-07-20 10:21 AM
in reply to: #4321405

User image

Extreme Veteran
Algonquin, IL
great story Walinda!  I love getting lost and finding new routes until I find my way again.  It is all part of the ironman adventure.
2012-07-20 10:38 AM
in reply to: #4321803

User image

Expert

David - I actually laughed out loud when I saw your profile pic - niceLaughing

daviddclough - 2012-07-20 10:21 AM great story Walinda!  I love getting lost and finding new routes until I find my way again.  It is all part of the ironman adventure.

2012-07-20 11:51 AM
in reply to: #4321405

User image

Veteran
Sun Prairie-ish, WI
wcocco - 2012-07-20 5:54 AM

Her: "Oh! Well you're not headed to Fond u lac!" Her Husband: "This is Sheboygen County, not Fondulac County, there are 2 County Road T's."

Me with a confused look on my face: "oh?"

Anywho the kind women loaded me and my bike in her car and drove me the right Co. RD T, which was 10 miles in the opposite direction.

Walinda

Also, I would recommend my route I took yesterday, minus the cold and rain. It's called the Birky Challenge. Starts in Fondulac and heads out into the Kettle Moraine area, beautiful and some fun hills.

Just an FYI, a lot of counties have duplicate hwy names.  That is why they are called Cty hwy and will often change names as it enters a new county.

2012-07-20 6:49 PM

User image

Expert

If I have a really awesome day on September 9 and all the stars align then I might make it though the bike path section on the second loop before the end of civil twilight (around 12:45 into the day).  There is a good possibility though that I will not make it through this section by that time.  I think my finish time will likely be between 13:00 and 13:30. 

So this question is for the course veterens that finished after dark - How dark does the path get?  Does it get dark enough to need some other sort of light?  If anyone has done florida, how does it compare to the state park?  That portion of florida on the second loop was horrible.  So dark, rough roads, I was terrified of stepping in a pothole and ending my race 7 miles from the finish line.  For Florida, I bought a little light that clipped onto my visor.  Not great, but I was definitely happy to have something.  Would something like this be necessary for the bike path? 

2012-07-21 7:54 PM

User image

Regular
Waconia, Minnesota

Hi everyone, I don't post much on BT and have never posted on this thread but thought I might as well start now. I am looking forward to this race. It will be my second IM, with Louisville 2011 being the first. This is my re-do at the distance since I got sick and was throwing up at Louisville, ended up walking the marathon to a 12:28 finish (but still a finish). 

Anyway, I am planning on heading to Madison next weekend to ride and run the course. If anyone lives in the area or is planning on being in town next weekend let me know and maybe we can meet up for a ride or run. I am looking to get into town Friday evening (maybe camp in a nearby campground), ride the full course on Saturday morning, then do a short run off the bike. Sunday morning I am planning on running 1 full loop of the run course plus an additional few miles (16-17 or so?). I am flexible on pace if someone wants to join but I am thinking roughly 20 mph average bike and a 7:30-8:00 long run pace. But as mentioned I can go slower to accomodate or am always willing to go with someone faster to push the pace. Thanks and I look forward to meeting some of you soon.

2012-07-22 12:13 AM
in reply to: #4323693

User image

Expert
Madison, Wisconsin
Jedd325 - 2012-07-21 7:54 PM

Hi everyone, I don't post much on BT and have never posted on this thread but thought I might as well start now. I am looking forward to this race. It will be my second IM, with Louisville 2011 being the first. This is my re-do at the distance since I got sick and was throwing up at Louisville, ended up walking the marathon to a 12:28 finish (but still a finish). 

Anyway, I am planning on heading to Madison next weekend to ride and run the course. If anyone lives in the area or is planning on being in town next weekend let me know and maybe we can meet up for a ride or run. I am looking to get into town Friday evening (maybe camp in a nearby campground), ride the full course on Saturday morning, then do a short run off the bike. Sunday morning I am planning on running 1 full loop of the run course plus an additional few miles (16-17 or so?). I am flexible on pace if someone wants to join but I am thinking roughly 20 mph average bike and a 7:30-8:00 long run pace. But as mentioned I can go slower to accomodate or am always willing to go with someone faster to push the pace. Thanks and I look forward to meeting some of you soon.

Next weekend will be a VERY busy weekend on the course. My coach has a camp going on the course all weekend as well as EN i think. Toss in all the others and it should be a party. I will be doing a 6 hour ride over in the Blue Mounds area, might run on the course Sunday. 

2012-07-22 6:00 AM
in reply to: #4322809

User image

Champion
Daffodil - 2012-07-20 6:49 PM

If I have a really awesome day on September 9 and all the stars align then I might make it though the bike path section on the second loop before the end of civil twilight (around 12:45 into the day).  There is a good possibility though that I will not make it through this section by that time.  I think my finish time will likely be between 13:00 and 13:30. 

So this question is for the course veterens that finished after dark - How dark does the path get?  Does it get dark enough to need some other sort of light?  If anyone has done florida, how does it compare to the state park?  That portion of florida on the second loop was horrible.  So dark, rough roads, I was terrified of stepping in a pothole and ending my race 7 miles from the finish line.  For Florida, I bought a little light that clipped onto my visor.  Not great, but I was definitely happy to have something.  Would something like this be necessary for the bike path? 

The path has big flood flights at certain points so it didn't pose a problem for me.  It is fairly dark in certain other points of the course (e.g. Picnic point) and I did see people wear headlamps both times I did it.  I did not wear one and was fine.

New Thread
General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman Wisconsin : Official Thread Rss Feed  

of 45