BT Development Mentor Program Archives » QuincyF and Oriolepwr's Magical Mys-tri Tour for Newbies Has Begun (CLOSED) Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 44

2012-01-19 9:58 AM
in reply to: #3942395

User image

Master
Gurnee, IL
Subject: RE: QuincyF and Oriolepwr's Magical Mys-tri Tour for Newbies Has Begun (CLOSED)

For those of you in Chicago-land    The Chicago winter bike swap at Harper college is this Saturday  9:30-3:30 

Its not just a place to get a bike.  There are many good deals  there all things bike related.   Parts, clothing, nutrition etc.    Perhaps yu want to check it out.   I went to it a couple of years ago and found some good things.  

http://www.chicagowinterbikeswap.com/

2012-01-19 2:30 PM
in reply to: #3999264

User image

Expert
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Subject: RE: QuincyF and Oriolepwr's Magical Mys-tri Tour for Newbies Has Begun (CLOSED)

DaDooRunRun - 2012-01-19 9:12 AM That's me!  They put me in glasses when I was 2 for a lazy eye...aka "cross eyed".  Glasses didn't work, so they did surgery when I was 3.  That did the trick...for a while.  Surgery again when I was 12, again when I was 19 and again when I was 29.  I'm 43 now and haven't had an issue since the last surgery.  They say it's something that you grow out of most times by the time you're an adult.  Which is why the surgeon when I was 29 is a pediatric opthamologist, which made me feel silly.  Not often they have to do that surgery on adults.  Anyway...it'll all work out!  Very correctable problem!  And, personally, I think a little kid in glasses is CUTE!  Remember the cute little kid in Jerry Maguire?!

Like this guy??? He was fairly good...wish me luck when he actually has to start wearing them full time. THat's quite a story you have...his Optho does adult strabismus too...same deal, the grown ups have to go to the kid office, but they know what they are doing, so I guess they put up with the stuffed animals and bead machines all over...

2012-01-19 7:35 PM
in reply to: #3999105

User image

Sutton
quincyf - 2012-01-19 9:16 AM
Michel.Sutton - 2012-01-19 8:07 AM
quincyf - 2012-01-18 10:36 PM
DaDooRunRun - 2012-01-18 7:24 PM

Good news on the swim front.  I spent some time tonight forcing myself to breathe on both sides.  Probably got in about 4 laps doing that.  I found it very tough to get into a rhythym and got pretty winded a few times, but I definitely made progress.  DH says next time I'll be able to do 6 laps and next time 10 and so on and then I'll catch on to it.  So, I'll keep work, work, working it.

So funny.  Everyone at the pool is faster than me.  My 8 year old on my left and the granny on my right!  All I can do is laugh!

Keep going with the bilateral breathing. It will become second nature to you. I PROMISE! It was like rubbing my belly and patting my head at first, and now it seems weird not to...

So for Michel, that puts me in the 3 stroke breather, although I tend to like to do a 2-2-3-3-2-2 kind of thing, depending on how hard I'm going. I change it up all the time...

Sorry, I should of added, I'm only breathing every 3 strokes. I like the rhythm, I can work my strokes, looking at how my arms are positioned with fingers spread (not much, just let the water pass through). I tend to like to pull hard and not as often, I like the feeling of gliding and covering as much distance with minimal strokes (laziness) and not slow down.

Some wise coach (many moons ago) told me, “The bottom line is how comfortable you are in the pool, and if you answer yes, than your technique is fine. Just work on consistency”.

THat's how I like to feel in the pool too, though I have experimented with shortening my stroke just to see if I could do it because I have heard it is better in open/choppy water. 'Tho in open, choppy water, we shorten our strokes naturally I suppose. 

My mantra? Whatever gets you working out and keeps you there...

The ability to be able to breathe to either side is golden, SO glad you are able to do that comfortably, and the only 'right way' is the way that makes you as fast as you can be!

I think the key to improving your swimming technique is learning how to breathe both ways and breathing well. You relax so much and then start focusing on technique... I see too many, who struggle not because of their fitness, but because they cannot swim long enough due to lack of oxygen intake. Their HR gets up quickly and cramps, lactic, name it.

Agreed on the shorter stroke for open water. That will be a challenge, as I don't expect to be able to access open water before late May early June.

Stranded at the airport, flight delayed, snow storm came through. Finally called our flight, will be home in the early hours of the morning...

Ciao...

2012-01-19 8:50 PM
in reply to: #4000036

User image

Veteran
quincyf - 2012-01-19 3:30 PM

DaDooRunRun - 2012-01-19 9:12 AM That's me!  They put me in glasses when I was 2 for a lazy eye...aka "cross eyed".  Glasses didn't work, so they did surgery when I was 3.  That did the trick...for a while.  Surgery again when I was 12, again when I was 19 and again when I was 29.  I'm 43 now and haven't had an issue since the last surgery.  They say it's something that you grow out of most times by the time you're an adult.  Which is why the surgeon when I was 29 is a pediatric opthamologist, which made me feel silly.  Not often they have to do that surgery on adults.  Anyway...it'll all work out!  Very correctable problem!  And, personally, I think a little kid in glasses is CUTE!  Remember the cute little kid in Jerry Maguire?!

Like this guy??? He was fairly good...wish me luck when he actually has to start wearing them full time. THat's quite a story you have...his Optho does adult strabismus too...same deal, the grown ups have to go to the kid office, but they know what they are doing, so I guess they put up with the stuffed animals and bead machines all over...

Oh he is fantastic!  Such a cutie and LOVE the specs!

2012-01-20 7:13 AM

User image

Veteran

Ok, it this is wrong, I apologize upfront.  I recieved this email from schwaggle about triathlon swimming and wanted to pass it along. Dave & Quincy, what do you think?

http://schwaggle.active.com/deal/5650/50-percent-off-total-immersion-triathlon-library/national?cmp=24-4-68926-7

2012-01-20 7:58 AM
in reply to: #4001013

User image

Master
Gurnee, IL
TLakatos1259 - 2012-01-20 7:13 AM

Ok, it this is wrong, I apologize upfront.  I recieved this email from schwaggle about triathlon swimming and wanted to pass it along. Dave & Quincy, what do you think?

http://schwaggle.active.com/deal/5650/50-percent-off-total-immersion-triathlon-library/national?cmp=24-4-68926-7

Tom Nope nothing wrong with it. In fact thanks for sharing. Though not everyone is a fan of the total immersion method, i like it. Terry Laughlin is awesome at breaking down the various elements to the swim stroke and giving you things to "think" about. I might to the schwaggle myself!

Edited by oriolepwr 2012-01-20 7:59 AM

2012-01-20 10:52 AM

User image

Master
Gurnee, IL
quincyf - 2012-01-19 2:30 PM

Maybe the adults like the bead machine too??? The big guy looks great in glasses! I like his whale sweater too. Now think about how quick he will be able to move through that puzzle now!
2012-01-20 1:12 PM
in reply to: #4001537

User image

Veteran
He looks like he will be the NEXT great engineer to design a tri bike.  I like the sweater too!
2012-01-20 5:03 PM

User image

Veteran

Got my run in today, not bad.  Took a cool shower, as per Dave Innocent, felt a little better.  Thanks

We really need to stop texting while driving!  At least 6 drivers passed me while "playing" with their phones.  I kept my eye on them just in case I had to bail.  Cry

"LETS BE CAREFUL OUT THERE"

How about you experienced runners, any suggestions?

2012-01-20 8:53 PM

User image

Expert
Hammond
Subject: Opinions on Hrm strap needed....m

So I ordered my 910xt and it should be here Tuesday or Wednesday. I ordered the one without the hrm strap though, because I can get the premium strap less expensive than the 50 extra dollars they wanted with the monitor. In doing some research though, it seems people have trouble with the new premium soft strap. I wear mostly tech shirts for working out so I'm wondering if I'd be better off ordering the older strap.

Any opinions?

thanks for any help.

Shelly
2012-01-20 10:29 PM

New user

Well, I did yoga on Wednesday but nothing since then . . . ugh!!  Ran a debate tournament today when, during the final round at 4 PM, they closed the school.  We got it in, but then everyone had to head out into the snow.  Luckily, the roads were passable, so not too bad.  Running a speech tournament tomorrow.  Hoping to get a workout in on Sunday.  Does working snowblower tonight for 35 minutes count?

2012-01-20 10:46 PM

User image

Expert
Hammond

Omg that is one of the cutest kids I've come across. ;-) He really is adorable glasses and all. Better watch the girls with that one.

Shelly

2012-01-21 7:30 AM
in reply to: #4002380

User image

Veteran
TLakatos1259 - 2012-01-20 6:03 PM

Got my run in today, not bad.  Took a cool shower, as per Dave Innocent, felt a little better.  Thanks

We really need to stop texting while driving!  At least 6 drivers passed me while "playing" with their phones.  I kept my eye on them just in case I had to bail.  Cry

I run in the dark all the time, but I ground myself "on campus" when it's dark.  That means I won't go out of my neighborhood.  I always wear a reflective vest when it's even a little dark.  Having passed runners when I'm driving in the dark, I can tell you the vest makes a big difference.  I always run against the flow of traffic so I can hurl myself out of the way if someone doesn't see me, which I've had to do many times.  You just have to pay special attention b/c most drivers don't.  I'm lucky b/c our town has a great trail system for running and biking.  Something like 50 miles of trails.  So when it's daylight and I'm running long, I run about 2 miles to get on the trail and then stay on it.

You are right, though.  The phone/driving thing is a big issue.  I'll admit I've been a chronic offender.  BUT, my New Year's resolution has been to silence my phone and put it in my purse every time I get behind the wheel.  I'm glad to say I've been pretty good about keeping it so far!

Off to a spin class and then running after.  Have a good day everyone!

2012-01-21 8:43 AM
in reply to: #4002655

User image

Expert
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Subject: RE: Opinions on Hrm strap needed....m
fitmomma2010 - 2012-01-20 8:53 PM

So I ordered my 910xt and it should be here Tuesday or Wednesday. I ordered the one without the hrm strap though, because I can get the premium strap less expensive than the 50 extra dollars they wanted with the monitor. In doing some research though, it seems people have trouble with the new premium soft strap. I wear mostly tech shirts for working out so I'm wondering if I'd be better off ordering the older strap.

Any opinions?

thanks for any help.

Shelly

I have the soft strap, but never used the old one. It worked fine for me...when it was cold out, I would get VERY exciting HR readings for the first 5 minutes of a run until you start sweating...

One thought for me is that the only part of the strap that ever caused chaffing was the rubber part, the fabric part never did, so I would be wary of an all rubber strap. But again, I am just guessing...

2012-01-21 8:55 AM
in reply to: #4002898

User image

Expert
Albuquerque, New Mexico
DaDooRunRun - 2012-01-21 7:30 AM
TLakatos1259 - 2012-01-20 6:03 PM

I run in the dark all the time, but I ground myself "on campus" when it's dark.  That means I won't go out of my neighborhood.  I always wear a reflective vest when it's even a little dark.  Having passed runners when I'm driving in the dark, I can tell you the vest makes a big difference.  I always run against the flow of traffic so I can hurl myself out of the way if someone doesn't see me, which I've had to do many times.  You just have to pay special attention b/c most drivers don't.  I'm lucky b/c our town has a great trail system for running and biking.  Something like 50 miles of trails.  So when it's daylight and I'm running long, I run about 2 miles to get on the trail and then stay on it.

You are right, though.  The phone/driving thing is a big issue.  I'll admit I've been a chronic offender.  BUT, my New Year's resolution has been to silence my phone and put it in my purse every time I get behind the wheel.  I'm glad to say I've been pretty good about keeping it so far!

Off to a spin class and then running after.  Have a good day everyone!

I have an anger management problem with running and cars...of course I'm running in the inner city. I have nearly been hit numerous times by people. I don't even know if it is inattention...sometimes I think it is over aggressive driving or altered mental status (my neighborhood has a lot of bars). For this reason I don't run at night.

I also NEVER drive and text. I do look at my phone at a red light once in a while, but I've trained myself to put it down when I'm rolling. I talk hands free in my car sometimes, but I swear even that divides my attention. 

Advice for you guys...hard to say. Don't become like me...I have pounded people's cars that have almost hit me...I need to calm down or I'm going to get myself in trouble.

One thing is certain, you have to be careful at certain times of day/year...when the sun is low and apt to shine in driver's eyes is probably MORE dangerous than pure darkness. Also in the midwest, the first nice days after winter are VERY dangerous for cyclists and runners because motorists are not used to people being out and about in larger numbers. It's always a big day for the ER...my husband will come home and say "I saw three people who were hit by cars today." 

We have jackets that are neon orange and have lights, but I have always wondered if that makes you more of a target. 

OK, I am rambling. If you have access to a trail, use it, but be careful, be aware of your surroundings, and consider carrying a phone. Make sure someone knows where you are planning on going and when you should be home. If you're on the streets, you have to drive for everyone else and assume nobody can see you and if you're in Chicago that even if they can see you they are not going to stop for you.

2012-01-21 8:58 AM
in reply to: #4002741

User image

Expert
Albuquerque, New Mexico

lmo123 - 2012-01-20 10:29 PM Well, I did yoga on Wednesday but nothing since then . . . ugh!!  Ran a debate tournament today when, during the final round at 4 PM, they closed the school.  We got it in, but then everyone had to head out into the snow.  Luckily, the roads were passable, so not too bad.  Running a speech tournament tomorrow.  Hoping to get a workout in on Sunday.  Does working snowblower tonight for 35 minutes count?

I used to track snow shoveling when I was frustrated by being sick! It's in the sports section!!! I think it counts. You were sweating when you were done, right?

How's your ankle?

2012-01-21 9:15 AM
in reply to: #4002756

User image

Expert
Albuquerque, New Mexico
fitmomma2010 - 2012-01-20 10:46 PM

Omg that is one of the cutest kids I've come across. ;-) He really is adorable glasses and all. Better watch the girls with that one.

Shelly

Thanks everyone! I think he's cute too, but I'm partial! He's fine with girls as long as they don't try to take his trains. He may or may not try to take a chunk outta anyone who breaks the sacred rules of the train table. Otherwise, he's a love.

2012-01-21 10:51 AM

User image

Veteran

Great workout today.  45 minutes spinning and introduced a friend of mine to spinning.  Since I had a guest, I worked hard to show off a little.    

Then 6 mile run.  2 on the indoor track, 2 on the treadmill, 2+ more on the indoor track.  The last 2 miles on the track were a result of sheer will.  My legs were so heavy...felt like I had weights on!

Workout felt great though!!  Now...I"M HUNGRY!

2012-01-21 3:08 PM

User image

Veteran

Q and Dave,  FYI:  you missed  a letter listing my ID in the group.  It is TLakatos1259  (you have TLkatos1259)

2012-01-21 3:10 PM
in reply to: #4003010

User image

Veteran

Quincy,

Now I know why I like your son, He LOVES trains.  Woo Hoo!!  or Toot Toot

My favorite Disney character is a train.  Can anyone guess?

Tom

2012-01-21 7:55 PM
in reply to: #4003124

User image

Master
Gurnee, IL
DaDooRunRun - 2012-01-21 10:51 AM

Great workout today.  45 minutes spinning and introduced a friend of mine to spinning.  Since I had a guest, I worked hard to show off a little.    

Then 6 mile run.  2 on the indoor track, 2 on the treadmill, 2+ more on the indoor track.  The last 2 miles on the track were a result of sheer will.  My legs were so heavy...felt like I had weights on!

Workout felt great though!!  Now...I"M HUNGRY!

Great work Jacki!   ok so you are now like a dealer.   Getting others addicted!  

2012-01-21 8:23 PM
in reply to: #4002380

User image

Master
Gurnee, IL
TLakatos1259 - 2012-01-20 5:03 PM

Well, i think I'm lucky.  I have a trail nearby for long runs.   No traffic there.   For my other runs, I have some nice neighborhood routes where I really do not have to be too concerned about traffic.    I mostly run the opposite direction as traffic so I get to jump out of the way if I see something out of the ordinary.  

Cycling- well this is much different.  I'm almost always not feeling all that safe.   I've been riding the roads forever though.  I will say that most people do not realize how much traffic signals bunch up traffic.    I get long periods of almost no traffic, then I hear the cars coming and move over as far as I can and ride defensively till they pass, then its that bliss time period again where there are no cars. 

I have had many a close call with cars.    I will tell you a story about one.  

I was riding one day and this station wagon with woodgrain comes along. It was one of those old country squire wagons.  It was full of teenage kids and buzzed me real fast and real close purposely.  They yelled some stuff at me and pissed me off big time.   I was full of rage against them and knew that a few miles down the road  there would be a series of lights where I hoped to catch them.   "something needs to happen to those fcukng schit hads!    They are going to wish they never did this.     What I thought I was going to do, I have no idea.  But I wanted to catch up to them BAD!  So I kick it up a few MPH and get into that ZONE! 

Well a couple of miles go by and I look ahead to the light in the distance, and see there is lots of cars parked all over by the intersection on both sides of road.   "hmm there is usually nothing going on over there, wonder what's up?"

As I approach, I see that the station wagon is all smashed up and there is a mini-van that is on its side in the intersection.  smoke is everywhere,  people are crying and kids that were in the wagon were all slumped over in the car.    OMG!  that's that car!!!!!   It looked REAL bad.    My rage turned into instant sadness.    As much as I wanted them to learn a lesson, I never wanted them or anyone else to get hurt.  Well not hurt like that anyhow.    I know my feelings toward them did not really have any part in what happened  but I was shaken.     I felt kind of like Carrie in that Sissy Spacek movie.       I told myself  to stop thinking the way I had been towards aggressive/abusive drivers.   Instead  to just look at it like they were giving me "compliments"  instead.        I can't say that the concept has worked 100%  but it has helped. 

I also am lucky that I do have a good amount of cycling areas that help keep my traffic interaction to a minimum.   But I do my fair share of riding with traffic.  And unlike riunning,  Its not a good idea to ride against the flow of traffic.

Do I text and drive?   Yes  all the time.   Not proud of that,  but If I saw a cyclist or runner,  I would not be texting at that time. 

Yes "LETS BE CAREFUL OUT THERE!"  

Edited by oriolepwr 2012-01-21 8:57 PM
2012-01-21 8:28 PM
in reply to: #4002974

User image

Master
Gurnee, IL
Subject: RE: Opinions on Hrm strap needed....m
quincyf - 2012-01-21 8:43 AM
fitmomma2010 - 2012-01-20 8:53 PM

Any opinions?

thanks for any help.

Shelly

I have the soft strap, but never used the old one. It worked fine for me...when it was cold out, I would get VERY exciting HR readings for the first 5 minutes of a run until you start sweating...

One thought for me is that the only part of the strap that ever caused chaffing was the rubber part, the fabric part never did, so I would be wary of an all rubber strap. But again, I am just guessing...

Shelly

I have the Garmin 405 (2 of them actually) with the older style strap.  It works fine.  Garmin 910XT would be great for me but the Race director (DW) would disown me if I got another.   The old strap works great, I don't know what makes the new one any better or not.   

2012-01-21 9:21 PM

User image

Master
Gurnee, IL

Someone asked a while back about good Tri-books.

I don't have a tri book recommendation, but I do have one for running.

The Competitive Runner's Handbook: -Bob and Shelly Glover

Ive used mine for years.  Its highlighted, written in the margins,  dog eared and I still refer to it frequently.    

Its great for "everything" running.   DO not buy it for your Iphone/pad  kindle or whatever.  Buy the actual book.   Much easier to reference.     When you have a running question, the answer will be in it.

2012-01-22 8:06 PM
in reply to: #4002995

New user

My ankle is actually good, Q.  It hasn't been bothering me, especially since I've been doing my hip exercises.  Thanks for asking! Strengthening whatever connects hip/ankle helps a ton.

I was sweating, so I guess that's good. At least I'm building some strength running the snowblower!

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » QuincyF and Oriolepwr's Magical Mys-tri Tour for Newbies Has Begun (CLOSED) Rss Feed  

of 44