BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Mav's Massachusetts Mentor Group/Full for the Season Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 23

2012-03-22 4:15 PM
in reply to: #3966875

User image

Elite
Connecticut
Subject: RE: Mav's Massachusetts Mentor Group/Full for the Season
Sorry I have been absent lately.  I have had a lot of stuff going on, physically, mentally and with kids.  But, I am feeling better all around today and hopefully that will continue. 

2012-03-22 6:04 PM
in reply to: #4109025

User image

Veteran
South Shore, MA

ebshot - 2012-03-22 5:15 PM Sorry I have been absent lately.  I have had a lot of stuff going on, physically, mentally and with kids.  But, I am feeling better all around today and hopefully that will continue. 

glad today was a better day!    hope things calm down soon...

2012-03-25 6:29 PM

User image

Veteran
South Shore, MA

hope everyone had a good weekend!  did anyone race??

i was SO lazy this weekend and did not workout AT ALL!!  i think i was giving myself a little break following the Quincy 1/2

i hope to get back into training mode this week...  no more slacking for me!!

2012-03-27 11:02 PM

User image

Princeton
I am sorry I haven't been able to post or even look at our mentor group site in days. My ears are still messed up causing me to have these awful dizzy spells although nothing as bad a few weeks ago. It's been pretty hard just making it to work every day. I'll have to start totally over at this point, but please don't give up on me!
2012-03-28 2:00 PM

Uxbridge
Were not giving up Nancy...don't worry.Kristen...long enough break??? Time to get goingI registered for the Season Opener today. Erin in too....anyone else?I am running the Boston 15 k tune up in upton this sat...if anyone wants to join me. Planning on going to the Multisport Expo in Boston after there. If you haven't been I would suggest going. Tri hard coaching (my coach Will ) is doing a seminar on racing your first tri.
2012-03-28 3:34 PM

User image

Elite
Connecticut

I'm volunteering at the Greater Hartford 1/4 Marathon this weekend.  The kids and I volunteer at this race every year.  Kaburns1214 is the RD.  Great race, beautiful location and yummy baked goods at the finish. 

If you have never volunteered at a race I highly suggest you try to volunteer for one at least once a year.  It's a great way to give back to our sport and it is very eye opening to see what goes on behind the scenes.  It's a lot of work but well worth it.

2012-03-29 8:54 PM

User image

Princeton
Mav I was considering stopping by the expo too as I have to go into town anyway sat. Maybe I'll see you there. Good luck in upton.
2012-03-31 10:22 AM

User image

Veteran
Hopkinton MA
Oh WOW ! I am here at the expo at MIT. It's amazing. Zillions of people, drawings for bikes and shoes, etc, booths for races all over NE, Next year I will plan and bring $$ to shop!
2012-03-31 6:29 PM
in reply to: #4122119

User image

Veteran
South Shore, MA

Erincsg - 2012-03-31 11:22 AM Oh WOW ! I am here at the expo at MIT. It's amazing. Zillions of people, drawings for bikes and shoes, etc, booths for races all over NE, Next year I will plan and bring $$ to shop!

that's awesome that you made it, erin!  wish i could have gone...  it's my daughter's 4th birthday today so spent the day with her!  i'll definitely plan to go next year, sounds GREAT!

2012-04-02 7:07 AM

User image

Veteran
Hopkinton MA

I haven't reported in a while, and I sort of fell apart in the two weeks since  the Half of QUincy.  Diet = FAIL.  Daily water = FAIL.  Weight + 6 pounds = YUCK.  Too much caffeine, too few workouts, weird leg/hip pains, some family stuff.  

But this is a new month! And the season opener sprint is 6 weeks away, so I am getting serious again.   I got a pair of lightweight/minimalist running shoes this weekend and have started doing short jogs in them - very excited about that.  I settled on a bike saddle that I hope will work out and sent the rest of the saddles back. Trying to schedule the follow-up appt for my bike fitting.  I've been in touch with Kate Hewitt, the swim coach offering master's at the Attleboro Y (you may have seen her posts on BT recently), and I'm planning to start swimming there on Tuesday nights. 

How's everyone doing?  Lots of family stuff and health concerns lately, I see.   I am thinking of you all.  Take care, and have a great week!

Edited by Erincsg 2012-04-02 7:19 AM
2012-04-02 7:11 PM

User image

Veteran
South Shore, MA

I see we've been archived! 

Erin, I had a similar experience following the Quincy HM!  My training became very inconsistent in the weeks right after the race...  I'm excited that it's a new month and hope to fill up my April training schedule with lots of PEACHES!!  My first tri is 8 weeks away - Escape the Cape on June 2nd, yikes.  I'm hoping that since tri season is right around the corner, I'll become more training-focused again! 

Hope everyone is still plugging along!!  Spring is in the air and there is nothing more motivating to me than that!!

2012-04-02 9:37 PM

Uxbridge

EVEN THOUGH WE HAVE BEEN ARCHIVED WE ARE STILL OPEN AND CONTINUING!!!!!! We havent even had a tri race!!!!!!

I went to the expo late because I raced a 15K on Saturday morning. I had a blast. It was a hilly course in Upton and my time was the same as the Foxboro race so I know my running is improving. I ran with a guy who was 75 years old for the first 7 miles. He was a great runner...avging 10:40!!! He has been to Kona 4 times. Amazing man. I actually left him at mile 7 because he was slowing...but I cheered him on at the finish. He was INSPIRING!!!!! He is running Boston. I can only hope to be that healthy at 75. He hopes to make it to Kona again this year. WOW!!!!

I purcahsed the new Garmin 910X at the expo...they had them on sale. This is a FANTASTIC tool. It counts your laps in the pool...your lap avg, individual lap times. It gives you GPS in the water. Tells you how straight you are swimming and how far!!!!The function for the bike and running are essentially the same as my old one but the swim aspect rocks!!!! It also holds a charge for 20 hours. This will be helpful for IM racing. SO if you are in the market I would give this 2 thumbs up!!!!

Kristen, so glad you are doing escape the Cape...I am still thinking about it...looks tempting my parents have never seen me race and they will be on the Cape mid June so I am thinking about the Hyannis sprint.

Erin...we should get out and ride the course soon...maybe do a brick.

Hey Chris you still there....Courtney, Joel, Lauren, ????? HELLO its SPring. What are you guys doing?????? I know Chris rode his a$$ off last week. Stop by his logs...VERY IMPRESSIVE!!!!!!

We have a new members joining us. Tri Bob...he is from Mass and doing the Season Opener. Hope we can get him to swim with us. I have also invited Mary...she is new to BT but I met her through a local mentor program last summer. WELCOME TO MARY AND BOB!!!!! Introduce yourselves

2012-04-02 9:38 PM

Uxbridge
OH yes ERICA GRADUATES IN A FEW WEEKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! SHE DID IT...3 kids...full time school and still trains fairly REGULARLY....NO EXCUSES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
YAY ERICA!!!!
2012-04-03 9:26 AM

User image

Veteran

I'm still here!  I'm glad to hear we are still going even though we've been archived. 

I was in Minnesota last week for business, but then stayed through the weekend to visit relatives.  There are some great places to run there.  I met my cousin's wife on Saturday morning for a run with one of her friends around some of the lakes.

I really need to get serious about HIM training.  I need to get my bike back on the trainer so I can get at least some riding in early in the morning.  I think the weather might be OK for riding over the long weekend (we have Friday off and are not traveling this weekend).  I am signed up to do Seneca 7, a 7 man 77 mile relay (run) around Seneca Lake (last Sat in April).  I did it last year and it was a blast.  It is organized by the same guy that is the RD for Musselman.  This year, they are hosting a group ride of the Musselman bike course the day after Seneca 7.  I am definitely doing that!

2012-04-03 9:11 PM

User image

Rough couple weeks but I am back in the swing

http://thecolorrun.com/newengland/

My friends and I just signed up for The Color Run.  

Anyone else thinking of it?

2012-04-03 9:23 PM

Hi Marianne!

Trained with you last year for the Danskin Tri in Webster!  Had fun and you were a great mentor especially with swimming and biking.  I participated in the DAnskin, TDD, and Women's IX Triathlons.  Love to cycle and have conquered my fear of swimming but still need endurance work on both.

I am totally addicted to triathlons and fitness.  Love to workout!

Would love to work with you again!

2012-04-04 7:13 PM
in reply to: #4128540

User image

Veteran
Hopkinton MA
mtr3350 - 2012-04-03 10:23 PM

Hi Marianne!

Trained with you last year for the Danskin Tri in Webster!  Had fun and you were a great mentor especially with swimming and biking.  I participated in the DAnskin, TDD, and Women's IX Triathlons.  Love to cycle and have conquered my fear of swimming but still need endurance work on both.

I am totally addicted to triathlons and fitness.  Love to workout!

Would love to work with you again!

Is that Mary?  Hi!   Welcome to BT.  I learn a lot here.  It was nice to see you at the Expo last week. What are your race plans for this year?

Cheers, Erin

2012-04-04 7:19 PM

User image

Veteran
Hopkinton MA

I'd like your input on my tentative race plan for the year.  I think I'm setting aside that HIM fantasy for now.

Is it reasonable to race once a month?  too much?   Last year I only did 2 sprints in September, and I was pretty tired after each of them, but I am much more fit and focused this year.  I have not registered/paid for July/Aug/Sept yet.

May 13 - season opener sprint/ Hopk

June 17- Ashland Oly

July 15 - Title 9 / Mass St/ Winchendon Oly

August 19 - Westboro Sprint

Sept 15 - Lobsterman Oly, Freeport Maine (family camping weekend)

Oct 28 - Cape Cod Marathon, Falmouth

Thanks for your thoughts and advice.

2012-04-04 7:46 PM
in reply to: #4126095

User image

Veteran
Hopkinton MA

mav - 2012-04-02 10:38 PM OH yes ERICA GRADUATES IN A FEW WEEKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! SHE DID IT...3 kids...full time school and still trains fairly REGULARLY....NO EXCUSES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
YAY ERICA!!!!

That's exciting!  Are you doing the whole cap & gown ceremony ?

2012-04-04 9:41 PM
in reply to: #4126092

I was at the MIT Expo as well.  I'm surprised I didn't run into you Marianne,  as I did with quite a few people from all kinds of groups I have joined.  I did the Bike Time Trial on the CompuTrainer..quite the challenge but fun! 

I am in training for A Tri Sprint..Mass State in Webster but I'm really training for my first Olympic Tri in August..Cranberry Tri Fest.  I live in Webster..so if anyone is nearby and wants to bike/run...let me know.  Will also be signing up for my first Century bike ride in September.  I will probably do the Major Taylor bike race as well this year.  Did the 5K Celtic race in Worcester and will be doing a 10K on 5/20th.

If anyone wants to train in Webster or near Webster...let me know...always looking for people to train with.....mary

2012-04-04 9:47 PM
in reply to: #4130790

Hey Erin!

Nice to see you at the Expo as well.  Race plans include:

Mass State Tri (Sprint) in Webster in June

Cranberry TriFest (Olympic) in August

10K in May

Did a 5K in March

Planning on doing a Century Bike in September...and the Major Taylor Bike race.  That's it for now.  Will be doing mostly cycling this summer which is my "love".

2012-04-05 10:15 AM

Uxbridge

Hi Mary!!! I see you have found us!!!!

I think your race schedule looks great! The Cranberry oly is a great race . It can be a little warm on the run but its a beautiful course. I ride down there a lot because its flat!!! I will let you know when I go...we can ride together. I do most of my longer rides down there.

As for wanting to do a HIM...its a great goal but dont push it! Enjoy the journey. Doing an oly and feeling ready to race is better than pushing so hard you cant enjoy the training.

ERin, How do you like the Vibrams? Be careful not to push the distance in them. I have heard that you really should build distance slowly or you risk injury.

Race season is almost here

2012-04-07 9:43 AM
in reply to: #4131781

User image

Veteran
Hopkinton MA

@mav - I like the new shoes, I think. My ankles feel weird when I'm running in them.  They are actually not the VFF but flat/ultralightweight New Balance 730. I have run in them 10-15 mins about 4x.

So at the moment I am trying to get outdoors on my bike for the first time since Thanksgiving, having been on the trainer and Spin class for 4 months. I'm dressed and have checked tire pressure.  Am having a mild panic about traffic and hills; afraid of falling while clipped in, crashing, and flats.   I know it's irrational.

------Later......Ok, I survived 12mi in the wind and no crashes.

Edited by Erincsg 2012-04-07 12:26 PM
2012-04-07 1:22 PM
in reply to: #4135413

User image

Veteran
South Shore, MA

Yay, glad you survived, haha!!  I rode for 12 miles today, too!!  I rode the Cohasset Tri bike course.  I wish we lived closer and we could have kept each other company

I'm loving my new road bike and clipless pedals.  I can feel such a difference compared to the hybrid I rode last year!  I actually feel like I'm getting something out of the bike (SPEED) based on the power I put into it!! 

2012-04-08 9:02 AM

Uxbridge

Happy Easyer to All!!! Hope you all have a great holiday!

As for the bike...it takes !!!! Time In The Saddle!!!! The more time you spend...the more comfortable and the greater speed and endurance. I find that riding during the week after work traffic and school buses is the least amount of traffic. I stay off heavily traveled roads whenever possible. Once you find a few good routes you will stick with them....usually some combo of hills and flats. I have one route that is flat and has few cars...its a 30 mile loop so I can ride it a few different ways to get the mileage I need. Erin I would stay away from RT 85 and 135 until you feel more comfortable. Work on feeling comfortable on your bike first ...the speed will come. ALWAYS ALWAYS follow traffic rules.Signal at turns. Stop at lights and signs...drive like you are a car at intersections. Practice drinking from your water bottle. WEAR BRIGHT COLORED CLOTHING!

There are always idiots on the road. NEVER EVER WEAR HEADPHONES WHEN YOU RIDE!!! It is dangerous. You need to stay alert to your environment on the bike...it will keep you safe.

You sweat a lot on the bike. Because of the wind you will not feel the loss becasue you wont be wet. A quick way to see how much you sweat is to weight yourself without clothing just prior to riding. Ride 1 hour at a moderate pace and do not eat or drink while on the bike. Weigh yourself without clothes when you get back. You will be shocked at your weight loss. It will tell you how much you need to drink every jour to stay hydrated!!! I loose a pound an hour! Unfortunately it doesnt stay off!LOL!!!

Erin I am going to ride the course in Hopkinton this week if you are interested.

Have a great holiday!

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Mav's Massachusetts Mentor Group/Full for the Season Rss Feed  

of 23