BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Oriolepwr and QuincyF's Magical Mys-tri Tour "The Sequel" -On Tour!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 51

2012-05-17 9:47 PM
in reply to: #4214989

User image

Expert
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Subject: RE: Oriolepwr and QuincyF's Magical Mys-tri Tour "The Sequel"-OPEN
Lesandtj - 2012-05-17 11:13 AM

Good news Quincy!  

It is encouraging to feel improvement huh? 

I've never tried purposeful "interval" training. My intervals are more um.... spontaneous, and involve bursts of slowness.   

haha, good one, as my children will tell you, farting is ALWAYS funny! As long as you don't pants your poop...(from last tour...can we get a repost???).

2012-05-17 10:02 PM
in reply to: #4216124

User image

Expert
Albuquerque, New Mexico
fitmomma2010 - 2012-05-17 9:19 PM
quincyf - 2012-05-17 11:02 AM

OK, I enjoy the mentoring thing, but I get depressed sometimes b/c of my shoulder and having my season up in the air, but I wanted to report some good news in that the training plan I'm following for IMMoo has me working on improving my FTP which doesn't mean anything except my volume is not time, it's intensity.

For instance, yesterday I did a 1 hour run, but during the run I did 2x1/2mi and 2x1mi intervals on 3 minutes rest, for a total of 6.75 miles...basically trying to stay at a high heart rate/intensity for those intervals and then a medium intensity for the rest of the run. The bike is the same thing...today I am doing an hour but the main set is 2x15min high intensity.

Anyway, I am surprised to find out that I enjoy this kind of training and even though I've only been at it for about 3 weeks, I am starting to feel gains in my fitness, which is super exciting. Plus I have been thinking about doing some time trialing and this kind of training is perfect for that, so excited to see how it pans out for me.

Just wanted to share that...I'm glad I finally found some focus in my training...it's been hard with my season up in the air and now it doesn't matter because I'm on the right path either way...happy!

Q, That is awesome. I sometimes think I need to get better/ more purposeful with my training. I pretty much just do some swimming, biking and running a couple of days / week. I throw in some fitness classes and call myself training. I know though, that if I really want to see improvement- I'll need to start getting more focused and specific with my training. I just haven't decided if I really want to put that much into it yet. I do tri's because this is a fun way for me to stay fit. Completing is my goal but the more I do it, and the longer I'm here- the more I think about trying to compete some. It's very inspirational to hear someone is doing that (the more focused training) and seeing improvement. Shelly

Shelly, I hang with all kinds of triathletes, some who are crazy strict with a plan, coaches, etc. Some who just go out and do whatever whenever. I know one guy who just S/B/R every other day. Like colors in rainbow, the approaches are many. I always say that just going out and doing s/b/r is the way we all start, and that's good enough for some of us, and others seek out more structure. There is no right way. I happen to be achievement oriented and I like structure, so I got on the plan wagon super fast, but that doesn't mean that is the only way or even the best way. People like me can become slaves to the plan, or mileage junkies, or whatever, and that's not good either. 

And just being on a plan is not the final answer to success...after you try a couple you will start to develop preferences based on your personality and strengths. For instance, I like time based plans because they are easier to schedule and map out. I don't like a lot of volume, and my body doesn't respond to volume (time).  Intensity seems to work for me. I love beginner plans, advanced plans suck. I like plans where I can easily move workouts around. And I WILL have a freak out in the middle of any long plan where I am fine physically but mentally I am OVER it.

So the point is, your mileage may vary. There is no reason to go rushing headlong into a plan, but you may be ready to ramp it up and you have to just pick one out and give it a whirl...

2012-05-19 9:50 AM
in reply to: #4128570

User image

Master
St. Louis
Who is racing this weekend?  I have an Oly tomorrow.
2012-05-19 4:13 PM
in reply to: #4218060

User image

Expert
Hammond
ransick - 2012-05-19 9:50 AM

Who is racing this weekend?  I have an Oly tomorrow.

Wish I were. We have my 25 year high school reunion. Geesh I'm getting old.

Good Luck tomorrow.

Shelly
2012-05-19 9:10 PM

User image

Veteran
Ocean Springs, MS

So I finished my second tri today. Overall I can't complain. I missed placing by 7 seconds and some dirty race tactics, but we'll get to that in a minute. It was a reverse sprint, so I was testing out my panic in the water issue, which went surprisingly well, until I was accosted by a fellow swimmer!

I was about 100 meters from the finish, swimming quite well, with NO panic problems, when I felt someone grab my ankle and pull me backwards. I was so shocked I didn't really understand what was going on, so I stopped swimming, said sorry to the lady who did it (cause I figured I had done something wrong) then let her pass me. By the time I figured out what she was doing, it was too late for me to catch her. She had on her iron girl swim cap, and her bike was near mine with her Ironman Kona bag. I would have expected more from an Ironman. Then my husband pointed out that she probably got to Kona using those race tactics.

Anyway....what is up with that? Is this what I should expect at triathlons. I'm still pretty upset by the whole thing, because I really try to display sportsmanship regardless of my situation, and this just takes a lot of the fun out of the sport, in my opinion.

Edited by Sarah73 2012-05-20 6:26 AM
2012-05-20 8:40 AM
in reply to: #4218602

User image

orthodontic aerodynamics
So, I was in aero position on my bike this morning thinking about how I might cut back on drag even further and being a dentist I thought maybe some orthodontics would be in order...Undecided
Maybe something more ratlike?

2012-05-20 1:11 PM

User image

Master
Gurnee, IL

Re-posted!

Do no not Pants your poop!  Marathon thoughts!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NsMw10KVVCk

2012-05-20 1:40 PM
in reply to: #4218849

User image

Master
Gurnee, IL

trei - 2012-05-20 8:40 AM orthodontic aerodynamics
So, I was in aero position on my bike this morning thinking about how I might cut back on drag even further and being a dentist I thought maybe some orthodontics would be in order...Undecided
Maybe something more ratlike?

It's good to have a plan!    Perhaps this plan will help you being more aero,  but it will get you less customers as a dentist.             So dunno  

2012-05-20 1:48 PM

User image

Master
Gurnee, IL
Sarah73 - 2012-05-19 9:10 PM

So I finished my second tri today. Overall I can't complain. I missed placing by 7 seconds and some dirty race tactics, but we'll get to that in a minute. It was a reverse sprint, so I was testing out my panic in the water issue, which went surprisingly well, until I was accosted by a fellow swimmer!

I was about 100 meters from the finish, swimming quite well, with NO panic problems, when I felt someone grab my ankle and pull me backwards. I was so shocked I didn't really understand what was going on, so I stopped swimming, said sorry to the lady who did it (cause I figured I had done something wrong) then let her pass me. By the time I figured out what she was doing, it was too late for me to catch her. She had on her iron girl swim cap, and her bike was near mine with her Ironman Kona bag. I would have expected more from an Ironman. Then my husband pointed out that she probably got to Kona using those race tactics.

Anyway....what is up with that? Is this what I should expect at triathlons. I'm still pretty upset by the whole thing, because I really try to display sportsmanship regardless of my situation, and this just takes a lot of the fun out of the sport, in my opinion.

Great progress Sarah!!!   Nearly podium in the tri.   You are podium here!  so theres that.

No it isn't something you should expect to happen.   I mean anything can happen, but I've never had that happen.  So maybe its the only time it will ever happen to you? ?

So glad to hear that you did not have panic issue in the water.    And you ran really well too!  I always like to see that.  

Keep in mind re: an Ironman   that some people are no damn good  period.    Ironman same thing.    Most people are really great.   But there are some real SOB's out there.    Looks like you have one identified.       Please don't let this experience  over-shadow your experience.       You did great! 

2012-05-20 2:15 PM
in reply to: #4218319

User image

Master
Gurnee, IL

fitmomma2010 - 2012-05-19 4:13 PM
ransick - 2012-05-19 9:50 AM Who is racing this weekend?  I have an Oly tomorrow.
Wish I were. We have my 25 year high school reunion. Geesh I'm getting old. Good Luck tomorrow. Shelly

Mike-Hope it went well.  Pretty sure you killed it.  c'mon back and let us know!

Shells-   You are a Young un    My 30 year reunion was not too long ago!

2012-05-20 2:55 PM

User image

Veteran
West Palm Beach

Hi all!

Hope everyone is having a fantastic weekend of racing, training, family time or whatever it is that you are doingCool. I am getting my PF Devil worked out of me by my a physical therapist at my Chiro's office, boy did it hurt but I am thinking it is better. Also going to seen an acupuncturist for my neuropathy in my hands...I am thinking it is definately going to work!

Quincy...I am glad to hear the shoulder is better..woohooo for that, any little improvement is awesome. Fartlek training, interval training...all good things to get speedy. Something I should do to get out of the turtle mode.

Shelly...how is the PF devil? I ordered some prickly balls (oh, that does not sound right..lol) from road runner sports to do some tissue breaking, my PT recommended them. $24 for prickly balls for the PF devil, not bad and will let you know if they work. I am ready to run naked around down town if someone promises me PF will be gone!!Surprised

Sarah...A big WOOOHOOOO to you for completing your 2nd tri, no panic in the water and being podium materialLaughing...as Dave said, SOB's will be found every where and with every sport. I have found IM racers to be very very nice and never really encountered any problems. I remember one time several years ago at an olympic tri a "whale" swam over me..well at least I felt like it was a whale....this idiot literally pushed me down!!!!! Forget about it, not worth thinking about it and using oxygen on that moment! The important thing is that you pulled your self together and finished! Yeah!

2012-05-20 8:19 PM

User image

I'm sure after watching "don't pant's you poop" video you are dying to hear this song.  Here it is.

Santana-Rob Thomas "Smooth"

Oh yeah   "WOOOF!"   Tongue out

2012-05-20 8:26 PM
in reply to: #4219132

User image

Master
St. Louis
oriolepwr - 2012-05-20 2:15 PM

ransick - 2012-05-19 9:50 AM Who is racing this weekend?  I have an Oly tomorrow.
Wish I were. We have my 25 year high school reunion. Geesh I'm getting old. Good Luck tomorrow. Shelly

Mike-Hope it went well.  Pretty sure you killed it.  c'mon back and let us know!

Missed a PR by under two minutes.  It was brutally, hot but I lost my time on the swim and T1, and improved on the bike and run.  

2012-05-20 8:27 PM

User image

Master
St. Louis
Sarah73 - 2012-05-19 9:10 PM

Congrats on your tri!  Nice you didn't have panic issues but that sucks someone pulled your ankle.  That is just BS.

2012-05-21 8:06 AM

User image

Veteran
Sarah73 - 2012-05-19 10:10 PM

Don't worry, you have a "place" in our hearts!

Only one thing you can do...

http://www.hark.com/clips/mgyvzwkgxg-off-with-their-heads

2012-05-21 8:15 AM

User image

Veteran

OK, now for my update:

I got a new job this past weekend; I will be an operations/program manager & sales for a kitchen cabinet warehouse.  This is in addition to managing the showroom I mentioned a few weeks ago.

The plus side is that I will be switching my training from afternoons to mornings.

So, todays question:  Does anyone train as soon as they get up and what do you do, eat, and prepare to start exercising right out of bed?

Tom

2012-05-21 8:40 AM
in reply to: #4219070

User image

Veteran
Ocean Springs, MS
oriolepwr - 2012-05-20 2:11 PM

Re-posted!

Do no not Pants your poop!  Marathon thoughts!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NsMw10KVVCk

&nb... was. awesome!!! I always think people would be shocked if they knew what I was thinking during a marathon...nice to know I'm not the only one!!

And...thanks to everyone for their comments about my last sprint. I think I was being a baby about the whole situation, but I'm done pouting now. My husband and I practiced some full contact swimming yesterday...I wish we had a video of that!!! I know it would have gotten some laughs. One thing I did notice, though, is that being worried about someone grabbing you and dragging you under really takes away from the panic of just being in the water and racing.

The swim has definitely been the biggest shocker for me regarding triathlons. When I practice swimming at the pool, I pick a lane alone, and I actually focus on the angle of my hand entering the water, how long my stroke it, and bilateral breathing every third stroke. Racing in a triathlon is COMPLETELY different. Both of my races have been complete chaos!! People kicking you in the face, grabbing your legs, pushing you out of their way!! Live and learn!!

Edited by Sarah73 2012-05-21 8:42 AM
2012-05-21 8:44 AM
in reply to: #4219609

User image

Veteran
Ocean Springs, MS
ransick - 2012-05-20 9:26 PM

Missed a PR by under two minutes.  It was brutally, hot but I lost my time on the swim and T1, and improved on the bike and run.  

Nice job, Mike!! If it weren't so hot I'm sure you would have PRd!! Great work!

2012-05-21 9:33 AM

User image

Veteran

Mike, Awesome effort!  I'm looking forward to my new PR this weekend.  Not coming in Last LOL 

2012-05-21 6:44 PM
in reply to: #4220039

User image

Master
St. Louis
TLakatos1259 - 2012-05-21 8:15 AM

So, todays question:  Does anyone train as soon as they get up and what do you do, eat, and prepare to start exercising right out of bed?

Tom

If I'm exercising less than an hour, I usually hit it without eating anything and maybe drinking a little water.  Over an hour and I like to eat some yogurt and/or a banana and bring some water. Over two hours and I like to get up and wake up for a couple hours, banana and yogurt and a couple cups of coffee.

2012-05-21 7:03 PM

User image

Veteran

Good job! You'll beat that PR next time, no problemo!

2012-05-21 7:04 PM
in reply to: #4220039

User image

Master
Gurnee, IL
TLakatos1259 - 2012-05-21 8:15 AM

OK, now for my update:

I got a new job this past weekend; I will be an operations/program manager & sales for a kitchen cabinet warehouse.  This is in addition to managing the showroom I mentioned a few weeks ago.

The plus side is that I will be switching my training from afternoons to mornings.

Awesome Tom!  Happy for you!   

Tom

hmm  There are time periods when I do just that.   Get up drink something,  then train right away.  Then eat breakfast.     Thing is,  that's when I'm at my best training wise.   When I don't do that   "life" gets in the way often, and will prevent me from training.   Also when I train first thing, I get to think "no matter what else happens today, I have made an investment in myself"     And then I feel better about whatever may bring me down during the day.   Don't have to worry or whatver about getting my workout in.   Or at least ONE of them.  

Another plus to this, is that most events start first thing in the morning, and thus I know what to expect on race day from my body ( "Don't pants your poop"

But yea drink something, possibly eat part cliff bar  then train,  then eat real breakfast.

Edited by oriolepwr 2012-05-21 7:05 PM
2012-05-21 7:09 PM

User image

Veteran

Well, made it through the Warrior Dash, SO MUCH FUN!!!!  I'm a little battered and bruised but I'd do it again in a heartbeat   Only downside is that it contributed to me skipping my sprint the next day, I was so stiff I worried that it would be too much for my shin, so I thought it smarter to skip it.

What I didn't realize that Warrior Dash is an EVENT so I wish I had hunkered down and stayed for the day, drinking, eating, watching the chaos and listening to the bands! Alas, the very patient kiddos weren't down for that, but next time I definitely will!

(warrior_dash2.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
warrior_dash2.jpg (88KB - 8 downloads)
2012-05-21 7:12 PM

User image

Master
Gurnee, IL
ransick - 2012-05-20 8:26 PM

Mike  I have a buddy on the STL area and he did the same tri as you did I think.   Also said how brutal the temp was.   We had both raced  Branson 70.3   together in the most awful brutal  stamina sucking,  heat that I can imagine.     I asked him how it compared.  he said it was close to that Branson day.   very close.      So supreme work/effort you did to do so well!   Congrats bud!     Did you have a few beers after?    Bet that would have been FIIIIIIIIINEEE    after all that heat/effort.

2012-05-21 7:16 PM
in reply to: #4221667

User image

Master
Gurnee, IL
Ybeal - 2012-05-21 7:09 PM

Well, made it through the Warrior Dash, SO MUCH FUN!!!!  I'm a little battered and bruised but I'd do it again in a heartbeat   Only downside is that it contributed to me skipping my sprint the next day, I was so stiff I worried that it would be too much for my shin, so I thought it smarter to skip it.

What I didn't realize that Warrior Dash is an EVENT so I wish I had hunkered down and stayed for the day, drinking, eating, watching the chaos and listening to the bands! Alas, the very patient kiddos weren't down for that, but next time I definitely will!

Yvonne,

Fun Pic!

YA IT IS!  I always wanted to do one of these but have not.   Honestly I'm a bit afraid of getting injured doing anything but straight line stuff.    No question that would be like not possible to sprint tri the next day.   You are brave to even consider it.     nice to hear you had so much fun!  

Edited by oriolepwr 2012-05-21 7:17 PM
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Oriolepwr and QuincyF's Magical Mys-tri Tour "The Sequel" -On Tour!! Rss Feed  

of 51