BT Development Mentor Program Archives » kaburns1214 Mentor Group 2013 (Year 3!) - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 122

2013-01-02 4:23 PM
in reply to: #4558632

User image

Pro
Nutmeg State
Subject: RE: kaburns1214 Mentor Group 2013 (Year 3!) - CLOSED
luv2bhealthy - 2013-01-02 5:18 PM
kaburns1214 - 2013-01-02 6:57 AM
luv2bhealthy - 2013-01-01 11:24 PM

First day of Whole100 -  2 c. coffee w/coconut milk, eggs and spinach in coconut oil; homemade dried fruit/nut bar; organic ground beef and sugar snap peas; fresh sockeye salmon, roasted butternut squash, fresh green beans.

Been busy with teaching my fitness classes and getting some of my students on board with the Whole30 program.  Had class this morning and a nutrition class.

I've got to start getting in some training.  It has been very cold for Texas and rainy.  Not too good for bike riding especially on a new bike I'm not too familar with.  I have a treadmill at our studio, but I despise treadmill running.  Think I'll finally get outside on Thursday with my running partner.  Got to get back up to speed for the Hot Chocolate 15k in February.  Need to get on the bike so I can do the Freeze Your Fanny bike ride in February, too.  I don't have a trainer.  Maybe I should consider buying one.  That sounds boring, too.  Don't know much about them though.  Now that the holidays are over, I will also go back to the recreation center that has the indoor pool to start swimming again, hopefully Friday.  Don't care for pool swimming, but this one is very nice and it's saline.

They're a complete necessity in cold climates.  Trainers are essentially stable fly wheels that place resistance on the back wheel of the bike.  Different trainers use different methods to create resistance (e.g. magnets, wind and fluid).  Outside of a compu trainer, fluid trainers give the most accurate road feel. 

Trainers aren't just good for cold weather, they also provide an incredibly efficient way to train.  You can control variables much better on a trainer and I lots of people who will use a trainer year round for interval work.  After my bike crash in July, I did 80-90% of my biking on the trainer. 

Thank you!  All this stuff is still so new to me.  Typically, we don't get a lot of cold weather, but January and February (good training times) are usually our coldest months.  So, I will start pricing them!

If you are looking at a couple options let me know -- my husband is a mechanical engineer and is very good at explaining why certain trainers are better than other -- I'll have him weigh in.

2013-01-02 5:13 PM
in reply to: #4558628

User image

Extreme Veteran
Texas
uhcoog - 2013-01-02 4:16 PM
luv2bhealthy - 2013-01-02 4:04 PM
karen26.2 - 2013-01-02 10:20 AM
uhcoog - 2013-01-02 10:46 AM
kaburns1214 - 2013-01-02 9:43 AM
trilooney - 2013-01-02 10:22 AM

I started the day with a ZR/Z1 35 minute run.  I'm very interested to see how I will do in the 5k I am doing this Sunday.  It's not an easy course, and I'm awful when it comes to pacing myself.  I usually blow up because I start out too fast.

So I think I'm going to go with the healthier choices option.  Whole30 is sooo restrictive.  I did do very well yesterday, as I was at my moms, and lunch was ham and broccoli.  The more impressive thing was that I would have had, but chose to decline, pepperoni bread, mashed potatoes, corn, diet coke, pudding pie, and tons of cookies with artificially sweetened coffee.  For dinner I had salad with olives, avocado, and a dressing with lemon and extra virgin olive oil.  Yes, this was only day 1, but this was a success for me.

I have a question.  Can someone explain the difference between a paleo diet and whole30.  As Whole30 is a huge extreme for someone that eats as poorly as myself, I'm wondering if a Paleo diet at this time would be a nice transition for me, rather than diving into Whole30.  Thoughts?

The diets are very similar.  Kind of like any diet they draw lines around the For edges somewhat randomly. 

The real goal should be to eliminate as much processed food from your diet as possible, make sure to include fat, protein and carbohydrates (from fruits and vegetables) at each meal and eat to fuel your body.  Going from eating almost 100% processed foods to strict Paleo or whole 30 is a really dramatic step.  I think the real goal should be moving in the right direction and thinking about making better food choices. 

Amen.

X2 Very well said Kelly.

Start looking at labels, and if you can't pronounce half the ingredients you should put back on the shelf.

Shop the perimeter of the store, the aisles are full of the processed crap - the perimeter is where the fruits and veggies and meat are. Load up on that and you'll be doing good.

It is very restrictive, but the point of Whole30 is to try and reset your homone level.  All the chemical laden junk we put in our bodies throws our body chemistry off.  If we can just detox in a healthy way, lots of things get better.  But Kelly is 100% correct  in that any changes you make are better than none.  And the Paleo diet does allow sweetners and dessert items whereas Whole30 doesn't.

Agreed on the hormonal issues.  Ben Greenfield has a good piece on it on his website.  I'll try and find it when I get home.  Paleo allows natural sweetners like honey and agave correct?

Yes, that is correct!  Maple syrup is another.

2013-01-02 5:15 PM
in reply to: #4558635

User image

Extreme Veteran
Texas
kaburns1214 - 2013-01-02 4:23 PM
luv2bhealthy - 2013-01-02 5:18 PM
kaburns1214 - 2013-01-02 6:57 AM
luv2bhealthy - 2013-01-01 11:24 PM

First day of Whole100 -  2 c. coffee w/coconut milk, eggs and spinach in coconut oil; homemade dried fruit/nut bar; organic ground beef and sugar snap peas; fresh sockeye salmon, roasted butternut squash, fresh green beans.

Been busy with teaching my fitness classes and getting some of my students on board with the Whole30 program.  Had class this morning and a nutrition class.

I've got to start getting in some training.  It has been very cold for Texas and rainy.  Not too good for bike riding especially on a new bike I'm not too familar with.  I have a treadmill at our studio, but I despise treadmill running.  Think I'll finally get outside on Thursday with my running partner.  Got to get back up to speed for the Hot Chocolate 15k in February.  Need to get on the bike so I can do the Freeze Your Fanny bike ride in February, too.  I don't have a trainer.  Maybe I should consider buying one.  That sounds boring, too.  Don't know much about them though.  Now that the holidays are over, I will also go back to the recreation center that has the indoor pool to start swimming again, hopefully Friday.  Don't care for pool swimming, but this one is very nice and it's saline.

They're a complete necessity in cold climates.  Trainers are essentially stable fly wheels that place resistance on the back wheel of the bike.  Different trainers use different methods to create resistance (e.g. magnets, wind and fluid).  Outside of a compu trainer, fluid trainers give the most accurate road feel. 

Trainers aren't just good for cold weather, they also provide an incredibly efficient way to train.  You can control variables much better on a trainer and I lots of people who will use a trainer year round for interval work.  After my bike crash in July, I did 80-90% of my biking on the trainer. 

Thank you!  All this stuff is still so new to me.  Typically, we don't get a lot of cold weather, but January and February (good training times) are usually our coldest months.  So, I will start pricing them!

If you are looking at a couple options let me know -- my husband is a mechanical engineer and is very good at explaining why certain trainers are better than other -- I'll have him weigh in.

Do you have some suggestions?  How about these -

CycleOps Fluid 2 Indoor Bicycle Trainer

Blackburn Tech Mag 6 Trainer

Jet Black Z1 Fluid Trainer, Hydrogel Roller

Blackburn Tech Fluid Trainer

Edited by luv2bhealthy 2013-01-02 5:34 PM
2013-01-02 5:58 PM
in reply to: #4542521

User image

Master
Johns Creek, Georgia

Can someone explain why you're not supposed to weigh yourself for the 30 days? I live by my scale (ok, that's probably my answer right there), and depending on what it says it makes or breaks my day. I weighed yesterday morning so I'd have a starting weight, but I'm not sure I can hold out until the 30 days are up.

Also, why no snacks? I read you should have 3 meals, no snacks. So should I be eating more at those 3 meals, or just have a snack if I really am hungry?

I felt really low on energy this morning when I woke up. Like my arms felt heavy to lift, walking up stairs was a chore. But I'm contributing it to taking Municex for days, and being sick. Maybe low on hydration too. For some reason I'm struggling drinking water, which usually is not a problem for me. And I should be drinking extra right now, just can't seem to do it.

2013-01-02 6:51 PM

Karen -I too start every day by getting on the scale and it also can make or break the day. That is one thing I think I can do for a few weeks. To me, it felt good to not let a number dictate how I feel about myself. I also did not realize snacking was not involved. I snacked today on raw carrots and had a few almonds between meals. Otherwise, I made some great choices again.
2013-01-02 7:23 PM

User image

Pro
CyFair
People make rash, emotional decisions that weight in daily.  If they can get you off the scale because there is bound to be fluctuations and to trust the program they've won a major battle.

2013-01-02 7:25 PM
in reply to: #4558775

User image

Extreme Veteran
karen26.2 - 2013-01-02 6:58 PM

Can someone explain why you're not supposed to weigh yourself for the 30 days? I live by my scale (ok, that's probably my answer right there), and depending on what it says it makes or breaks my day. I weighed yesterday morning so I'd have a starting weight, but I'm not sure I can hold out until the 30 days are up.

Also, why no snacks? I read you should have 3 meals, no snacks. So should I be eating more at those 3 meals, or just have a snack if I really am hungry?

I felt really low on energy this morning when I woke up. Like my arms felt heavy to lift, walking up stairs was a chore. But I'm contributing it to taking Municex for days, and being sick. Maybe low on hydration too. For some reason I'm struggling drinking water, which usually is not a problem for me. And I should be drinking extra right now, just can't seem to do it.

Karen - I used to start my day weighing and stopped about a year and a half ago for two reasons. One, for me, it was a marker of how my day would go - I would feel really good about myself if I liked the # and I would have this down feeling if I didn't like the #. The second reason I put the scale away was because my now teenage daughter, who was 12 then, was also weighing every day. My oldest daughter is VERY thin and has a beautiful figure and when I would hear her make comments about how she must have eaten a lot that day because she was up 1-2 pounds, I knew it was time for the scale to disappear. She doesn't miss it and honestly, I do not miss it at all. IT is very liberating not to be a slave to a number. I have weighed myself at the gym a couple of times over the last 18 months and I stay pretty stable. That said, I wish I could go into a new year and NOT think that I could lose another 5-10 pounds and maybe this will be my year. Karen, take the scale away for just a week  - I bet you will not miss it as much as you think.

Now, what is this that there are NO snacks on whole30? I read about half the book  so far but haven't gotten to that part yet. I was willing to give up my dairy (ie greek yogurt) but I am not sure about snacks. I really feel like eating every 2-3 hours is important to metabolism and that is how I have been eating for years now. I will still eat clean, but I can't give up eating every couple hours. Maybe that is why you feel sluggish...

2013-01-02 7:26 PM

User image

Expert
Karen, in the book they talk about only using three meals, except after a workout. They say you can have a fourth meal after a workout, preferably protein. They recognize how important that meal is post workout in order for the body to recover and remove stress. For those of us that workout at 5 am, I am not sure where that meal would fit in since breakfast comes pretty much right after I workout. Suggestions?

I'll say this. Today was day two. Breakfast was again 3 whole eggs and veggies including 1/2 avocado mixed in. That was about 7:30 am. By 12:30, I was not really hungry but had spinach broccoli cauliflower onion and 1/2 avocado, along with chicken breast and 1 boiled egg. Dinner, pretty much the same veggies and chicken breast, along with a chopped apple on the side and handful of almonds after dinner. I feel so freaking full. They want you to eat healthy fats, but looking at my numbers based on myfitnesspal app, fat is 104 grams, 19 of which is saturated, 41, monounsaturated. Cholesterol is 1284 mg. I think recommended is something like 300. Protein was 146 grams. Carbs 102. I don't think I've ever seen my numbers like this. Thoughts? Am I doing something wrong? Seeing all that "healthy" fat, makes complete sense why I'm full. Total calories for the day, 1,861. But 300 of that came from the almonds i ate tonight right after dinner. Yeah, I had more almonds than I should have.
2013-01-02 7:51 PM
in reply to: #4558911

User image

Pro
Nutmeg State

rizer22 - They say you can have a fourth meal after a workout, preferably protein. 

If you are going to eat after a workout, you really should include carbs.  Its carbs (not protein) that help decrease cortisol levels that rise while training. 

Scott can speak to this better than I can, but foregoing carbs in favor of protein post-training can cause cortisol levels to remain high. 

2013-01-02 7:54 PM
in reply to: #4558719

User image

Champion
luv2bhealthy - 2013-01-02 6:15 PM

Do you have some suggestions?  How about these -

CycleOps Fluid 2 Indoor Bicycle Trainer

Blackburn Tech Mag 6 Trainer

Jet Black Z1 Fluid Trainer, Hydrogel Roller

Blackburn Tech Fluid Trainer

If you want the best bang for your buck, stick with the fluid trainers. Magnetic trainer power curves are not realistic and you end up spinning much faster than you would on the road.Blackburn and Cycleops are two of the best. Sturdy, stable and accurate power curves. I have a Cycleops Fluid 2 that is 6 years old and never had a problem with it. One other thing to keep in mind is that a smooth tire will provide a quieter, smoother ride than a tire with grooves.

Edited by CubeFarmGopher 2013-01-02 7:55 PM
2013-01-02 7:55 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
North Shore, MA.
I did a 30 min TT this am. Thought I was gonna lose my breakfast! The numbers were nothing to write home about, but I'm hoping it gives me a good starting point for the next x amount of months on the trainer.

2013-01-02 8:03 PM

User image

Master
Johns Creek, Georgia

Jeff, I logged everything yesterday and I was shocked at the #'s as well.

1467 calories

92 grams fat (631 mg cholesterol)

95 grams protein

80 grams carbs

I've never had that much fat!

For the most part I have not been hungry, more sick to my stomach if anything. But I did have an afternoon snack yesterday and today.

If I workout early morning I think I'll have breakfast, then a morning snack, lunch a little later than normal, and dinner.

2013-01-02 8:04 PM
in reply to: #4558860

User image

Master
Johns Creek, Georgia

trilooney - 2013-01-02 7:51 PM Karen -I too start every day by getting on the scale and it also can make or break the day. That is one thing I think I can do for a few weeks. To me, it felt good to not let a number dictate how I feel about myself. I also did not realize snacking was not involved. I snacked today on raw carrots and had a few almonds between meals. Otherwise, I made some great choices again.

Glad you're making good choices. It gets easier, I promise!

2013-01-02 8:04 PM
in reply to: #4558941

User image

Expert
kaburns1214 - 2013-01-02 8:51 PM

rizer22 - They say you can have a fourth meal after a workout, preferably protein. 

If you are going to eat after a workout, you really should include carbs.  Its carbs (not protein) that help decrease cortisol levels that rise while training. 

Scott can speak to this better than I can, but foregoing carbs in favor of protein post-training can cause cortisol levels to remain high. 

Kelly, I think I wrote that wrong. Sorry. Hence the reason I'm not a mentor.
2013-01-02 8:08 PM
in reply to: #4558951

User image

Pro
Nutmeg State

cheekymonkeys1 - 2013-01-02 8:55 PM I did a 30 min TT this am. Thought I was gonna lose my breakfast! The numbers were nothing to write home about, but I'm hoping it gives me a good starting point for the next x amount of months on the trainer.

That's what testing is for.  You put down the baseline numbers so you can measure improvement.  Its all about the delta. 

2013-01-02 8:11 PM
in reply to: #4558907

User image

Master
Johns Creek, Georgia

uhcoog - 2013-01-02 8:23 PM People make rash, emotional decisions that weight in daily.  If they can get you off the scale because there is bound to be fluctuations and to trust the program they've won a major battle.

I get it, and I know my obsession is not healthy. But I also feel like if I just let go, I could end up 50 pounds heavier! I really like to see that number every day...and base my day on if I'm up or down.

I'm committing to not looking until the 30 days are up though. I better be pleased with what I see on that scale is all I can say!

2013-01-02 8:23 PM
in reply to: #4558975

User image

Veteran
karen26.2 - 2013-01-02 8:11 PM

uhcoog - 2013-01-02 8:23 PM People make rash, emotional decisions that weight in daily.  If they can get you off the scale because there is bound to be fluctuations and to trust the program they've won a major battle.

I get it, and I know my obsession is not healthy. But I also feel like if I just let go, I could end up 50 pounds heavier! I really like to see that number every day...and base my day on if I'm up or down.

I'm committing to not looking until the 30 days are up though. I better be pleased with what I see on that scale is all I can say!

While I cannot guarantee the amount of poundage lost. I can guarantee that giving up the short-term gain of anxiety reduction in weighing yourself daily will far outweigh the long-term benefits (anxiety produces maladaptive neurochemicals in the brain that can alter brain structure). The concept of regression to the mean also applies I think. You are an active, health conscious, fit, triathlete. There is no eartly weigh you will gain 50 pounds by simply not weighing yourself - your lifestyle and body simply won't let it happen - the same way my body wakes up around 530 no matter what. You can do it. If you would like, I could provide some suggestions to help you not do it.
2013-01-02 8:26 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
North Shore, MA.
I think I could use some suggestions on how to not do it every day. My name is Deb, and I have a scale / daily weigh in problem. :-( I tried taking batteries out, hiding the scale etc.
2013-01-02 8:27 PM
in reply to: #4558989

User image

Veteran
ccmpsyd - 2013-01-02 8:23 PM

While I cannot guarantee the amount of poundage lost. I can guarantee that giving up the short-term gain of anxiety reduction in weighing yourself daily will far outweigh the long-term benefits (anxiety produces maladaptive neurochemicals in the brain that can alter brain structure). The concept of regression to the mean also applies I think. You are an active, health conscious, fit, triathlete. There is no eartly weigh you will gain 50 pounds by simply not weighing yourself - your lifestyle and body simply won't let it happen - the same way my body wakes up around 530 no matter what. You can do it. If you would like, I could provide some suggestions to help you not do it.
Sorry - It should read the L-T benefits to your body will outweigh the s-t benefits (anxiety reduction) of weighing yourself daily....but you probably got that.
2013-01-02 8:28 PM
in reply to: #4558963

User image

Pro
CyFair
rizer22 - 2013-01-02 8:04 PM
kaburns1214 - 2013-01-02 8:51 PM

Kelly, I think I wrote that wrong. Sorry. Hence the reason I'm not a mentor.

Herein lies my issues with programs like this for endurance athletes.  You need a mix of quick and slow releasing carbs in my opinion to utilize the recovery window post training.  It is really hard to have fruit or the like on hand immediately post workout.  Where as those who generally get the most out of a ketogenic type diet are the average joe and body builders.  I get the idea of balancing your hormones and starting fresh.  IMO this needs to be done immediately after being recovered from your final race of the season (2 weeks or so).  The issue most triathletes will find is this puts you smack dead at Thanksgiving and who the heck can do that.

2013-01-02 8:30 PM
in reply to: #4558968

User image

Pro
CyFair
kaburns1214 - 2013-01-02 8:08 PM

cheekymonkeys1 - 2013-01-02 8:55 PM I did a 30 min TT this am. Thought I was gonna lose my breakfast! The numbers were nothing to write home about, but I'm hoping it gives me a good starting point for the next x amount of months on the trainer.

That's what testing is for.  You put down the baseline numbers so you can measure improvement.  Its all about the delta. 

TRUTH!!!

BTW Karen remember that fat doesn't make you fat.

2013-01-02 8:33 PM
in reply to: #4558995

User image

Master
Johns Creek, Georgia

cheekymonkeys1 - 2013-01-02 9:26 PM I think I could use some suggestions on how to not do it every day. My name is Deb, and I have a scale / daily weigh in problem. :-( I tried taking batteries out, hiding the scale etc.

Now that is funny - to me.

Yes, suggestions would be nice.

2013-01-02 8:37 PM
in reply to: #4558996

User image

Master
Johns Creek, Georgia
ccmpsyd - 2013-01-02 9:27 PM
ccmpsyd - 2013-01-02 8:23 PM

Sorry - It should read the L-T benefits to your body will outweigh the s-t benefits (anxiety reduction) of weighing yourself daily....but you probably got that.

OK maybe 50 pounds was an exaggeration...

I know what you're saying, and it makes sense, but I've weighed myself pretty much everyday since I was a teenager. It's hard to just stop. But I will.

2013-01-02 9:46 PM

User image

Veteran

cheekymonkeys1 - 2013-01-02 8:26 PM I think I could use some suggestions on how to not do it every day. My name is Deb, and I have a scale / daily weigh in problem. :-( I tried taking batteries out, hiding the scale etc.

Okay, I'd be happy to...

One problem with taking the batteries out or hiding the scale is that you probably were still thinking about the scale. Who was the first person you kissed? Probably brought back some memories - memories you haven't thought of in a long time. Back then, you probably thought about it a lot. The point is, thoughts are habits. The more you do them, the more engrained they become and establish entrenched patterns in the brain. If you stop the pattern, millions of connections will die. Which is good when wanting to unlearn a maladptive habit and learn a new one.

So, you have to engage in thought stopping and mindfulness strategies. One helpful strategy is when you think about weighing yourself, say "stop" out loud. This draws your attention from your thought to the external environment. Whatever you can do to focus your attention from internal (thought) to something else, the better. Count backwards from 100 by 3s, stretch, engage in deep breathing exercises. Also, it is often helpful to simply remind yourself that your are probably just a little anxious and it will pass - just like when you stub your toe...just grip it and hang on. The point is, not weighing yourself is not what this is about, it is simply a physiological habit (anxiety). Anyone who has smoked has had to grip through a nic fit...it passes. It's physiological. So is this. Try wearing a rubber band around your wrist. Notice when you might feel a little anxious and have the thought of weighing yourself and when you do, give it a little snap - this draws your attention from thought to external. It also stops the chain of thinking, emotion, behavior.

These are a few ideas, I hope it helps some. Sorry if it was long winded.

2013-01-02 9:47 PM

User image

Veteran

cheekymonkeys1 - 2013-01-02 8:26 PM I think I could use some suggestions on how to not do it every day. My name is Deb, and I have a scale / daily weigh in problem. :-( I tried taking batteries out, hiding the scale etc.

Okay, I'd be happy to...

One problem with taking the batteries out or hiding the scale is that you probably were still thinking about the scale. Who was the first person you kissed? Probably brought back some memories - memories you haven't thought of in a long time. Back then, you probably thought about it a lot. The point is, thoughts are habits. The more you do them, the more engrained they become and establish entrenched patterns in the brain. If you stop the pattern, millions of connections will die. Which is good when wanting to unlearn a maladptive habit and learn a new one.

So, you have to engage in thought stopping and mindfulness strategies. One helpful strategy is when you think about weighing yourself, say "stop" out loud. This draws your attention from your thought to the external environment. Whatever you can do to focus your attention from internal (thought) to something else, the better. Count backwards from 100 by 3s, stretch, engage in deep breathing exercises. Also, it is often helpful to simply remind yourself that your are probably just a little anxious and it will pass - just like when you stub your toe...just grip it and hang on. The point is, not weighing yourself is not what this is about, it is simply a physiological habit (anxiety). Anyone who has smoked has had to grip through a nic fit...it passes. It's physiological. So is this. Try wearing a rubber band around your wrist. Notice when you might feel a little anxious and have the thought of weighing yourself and when you do, give it a little snap - this draws your attention from thought to external. It also stops the chain of thinking, emotion, behavior.

These are a few ideas, I hope it helps some. Sorry if it was long winded.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » kaburns1214 Mentor Group 2013 (Year 3!) - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 122