BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Gray Guys/Girls Masters Focus Triathlete Forum--OPEN! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 40

2014-07-04 7:42 PM
in reply to: Mountaindan

User image

New user
Hingham, MA
Subject: RE: July 4th--Who is racing?
Originally posted by Mountaindan

Great race James! I would say that is a good pace for anyone.

I need to get that book also, I feel like I have really slowed down as I have increased my mileage, time to concentrate on my cadence which will hopefully increase my pace.

Good luck on the swim tomorrow, looks like i wont be getting an OWS tomorrow, raining hard now and supposed to get worse through the night, hopefully Sunday will clear out enough to get in the ocean?

No fireworks in Maine tonight, thanks Andrew!

Thanks Dan.

Going to be heading up your way next week to Booth Bay. Can hardly wait, I love it up there.

Any inside scoop on The Lobsterman Half Triathlon in September? I know a couple of guys that said they liked it but for some reason the water was really murky and they actually had mud on them when getting out of the water. I like the idea of a lobster bake after the race. Yes, I do run for food.

2014-07-04 9:15 PM
in reply to: EchoLkScott

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member
Subject: RE: OWS training report...

Originally posted by EchoLkScott 

As far as sighting, I'm getting much more comfortable with the "croc eyes" technique that Scott described a while ago. Because of the relatively rough conditions, it only worked about half the time last night. The other half of the time I saw nothing but waves. I just sighted more frequently and that seemed to work. I did try the "heads up" sighting a few times, but it really messes with my stroke.

This is why I say you need to practice this.  To swim head up properly you shorten your stroke, maybe by half.  With your head up, your legs are going to drop and with the shortened stroke, clearly it isn't going to be fast.  However, it will allow you to see forward, which is precisely the point.  It works well in rough water and as you mention below, if you sight at the top of a swell it is effective in VERY poor conditions.  This is my 'go-to' sighting method when the conditions are terrible.

Originally posted by EchoLkScott

In answer to your question Scott, I'm not sure what I'd do if I were swimming in 8 foot waves. Honestly, at this point in my triathlon journey, I'd just go home and live to swim another day. But if I had no choice, I suppose I'd try to time my sighting so that I was at the top of a swell. How did you do it?

Congratulations!  You have taken the first step to becoming a good open water swimmer!  Perhaps the most important thing in open water swimming is preparing for the race.  In the case of my fictitious example, you looked at the situation, thought about it, and formulated a plan . . . BEFORE you were in the water.

I'll take a moment to share the story of how I learned the same lesson.  Unfortunately mine wasn't so pleasant.  Sorry to those or you that were in the mentor group with me "last semester" as this will be a repeat.

In the Southern California beach community of Seal Beach they have a rough water swim competition every summer.  It is important to understand that Seal Beach, on a 'big surf' day, typically has waves less than 3-4 feet.  The crowning event of the rough water swim competition is the 3-mile rough water swim which, during the years I did it, went from the base of the pier to an oil platform 1.5 miles off-shore and back.  By the time I was entered to do the race my third time, I had not only completed the race twice, but was swimming something like 15,000 meters per day, so the actual race was little more than a warm up.  When we got to the beach on the day of the race, there was a hurricane off the coast of Baja California, at Seal Beach the wind was upwards of 30 MPH.  There were 10-12 foot waves breaking on the beach, the pier was closed because there were waves breaking OVER the end of it, and beyond the surf line there was an 8-10 foot wind-blown swell (sound familiar?).

My first mistake was that I did not take the time to examine the conditions and form a plan.  My second mistake was starting the race without a plan.  I probably made a third mistake by actually starting the race.

The gun sounded and we were off, right into the teeth of the huge surf pounding the beach.  About 10 yards from shore I took in a mouthful of salt water and ended up not only swallowing it, but getting it down the windpipe into my lungs.  I couldn't breath and just that fast, I was in a full-fledged panic attack, right there in the middle of the surf line.  By shear force of will I finally caught my breath and got through the surf.  The water was so rough however, there wasn't going to be any freestyle swimming until I was much further out past the surf line.  I did butterfly until I got past the end of the pier, but my day was already done.  I made it 1.5 miles out to the turn around, at which point one of the lifeguards on a paddle-board came up, put a fork in my side, and said I was done.  I rode back to shore in a boat.  To add insult to injury, I got seasick on the boat and became violently ill before we made it back to shore.  All in all, it wasn't my best day.

I share this, not to frighten you or anyone else that may read it, rather I share this to highlight the importance of observing the conditions and forming a plan.  Had I done so that day, I would have, at the very least, been much more circumspect in the way I approached the surf line, had I chosen to enter the water at all.

Open water swimming is sometimes a challenge.  It certainly is different from swimming in a pool.  With the proper preparation BEFORE you enter the water, open water swimming can be a lot of fun.

Happy swimming!

2014-07-04 9:18 PM
in reply to: soccermom15

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member

Originally posted by soccermom15

Well I just did it - I registered for the short course at the New Town triathlon next weekend.  The butterflies are already starting.

Janet

Way to go Janet!  Enjoy the 3 mile swim!  (For those of you that missed it, that's a reference to a few days ago when I couldn't read).

2014-07-04 9:25 PM
in reply to: lutzman

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member

Originally posted by lutzman

I'm on the mend, but count on me Saturday to be working the remote control, channel jumping between the Tour de France and the World Cup. At least my fingers will get a workout!

Steve

I'm right there with you Steve, the word has gone out to my family and friends - "Don't bother me, it's Tour time!"

2014-07-05 3:42 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: Gray Guys/Girls Masters Focus Triathlete Forum--OPEN!
I had asked about a closed group, but I think this one would be better for me, if ok to join?
Nancy
2014-07-05 6:28 AM
in reply to: golfgirl88

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member
Subject: RE: Swim Endurance

Originally posted by golfgirl88

. . . However, the swim is an entirely different story. I am gassed after 25 meters. I am working hard on breathing and technique. I know everyone is different in levels of fitness, effort, etc. The swim leg is 500 yards. Any words of wisdom? Will I ever get there in a little over 11 weeks? I am currently swimming 3 days/ week. Should i swim 4 or more days a week? Any advice for this newbie is greatly appreciated.

Happy 4th to everyone!

Sandra

Hi Sandra,

A lot of this is a direct copy of a post I did during the last mentor group for a young lady facing a similar situation. Eleven weeks isn’t a great deal of time; however you should be able to get to where you are comfortable with the distance and confident in your ability.

So here's the first thing to becoming a successful swimmer - remember the phrase, "Technique, technique, technique."  Hang little post-it notes all over if need be to remember the phrase and constantly repeat it to yourself - "Technique, technique, technique."

I have said repeatedly that technique trumps everything else. You can get in the water and swim lap upon endless lap, but if your technique is flawed, you are wasting your time.

This is going to perhaps be counter-intuitive, but here is a plan that will get you ready for a sprint over the next 11 weeks. If my wife was going to train for a sprint, this is what I would suggest she do.

Start by reviewing all the stroke technique information on my website, http://goscottgo.info/index.php/swimming-technique. I suggest you read all of the articles in reverse order of how they are displayed on the page (start at the bottom).  Pay particular attention to the 'body roll' and the 'catch and pull' articles.  Next, go to http://swimsmooth.com, and watch the animation of 'Mr. Smooth' swimming. We won't worry about the minor differences between 'his' perfect freestyle and ‘my’ perfect freestyle. The differences are minute enough so as not to matter. Don't be afraid to 'assume the dry-land swimming position' right there in your living room and making sure you understand proper technique (stand upright, bend at the waist until torso is parallel to the floor, one hand above your head, the other behind you as if you are horizontal in the water and "swim").

During EVERY rest period in each workout over the following 11 weeks you should be thinking about PERFECT technique. Review in your mind all the various tips you have heard. Maybe review my website and revisit 'Mr. Smooth' each week just to confirm proper technique in your mind.

During the first couple of weeks, while I use the term ‘workout’ the focus is on technique. Don’t worry about pace, don’t worry about distance, other than using it as a guide on how long to practice. I am not clear on the length of the pool you train in. You referred to meters, which are typically long course pools (50 meters) but also made a reference to ‘being gassed after 25 meters.’ Short course pools are typically yards. I am assuming you are training in a short course 25-yard pool as they are far more common. If that is not the case, let me know and I will adjust this for the longer pool.

If you have someone that can video you in the pool, I will be happy to look at that and offer some pointers on your technique. It doesn’t have to be wonderful quality so you don’t have to run out and buy a GoPro camera. A video done with a cell phone will be sufficient if it is possible.

Week 1. Next week, only do 3 swim workouts of 400 yards each. Get in the water and do 16 x 25 with 60 seconds rest between repetitions. YOU ARE NOT CONCERNED WITH PACE AT ALL. The ENTIRE focus of these workouts is ABSOLUTELY PERFECT STROKE TECHNIQUE. If you fatigue to the point that your technique breaks down, take an extra minute of rest. If that does not improve the technique, get out of the water, go home, and try again next time. This is important - when you have gone 400 yards, get out of the water and go home! Don't try and add yards, you will defeat the whole purpose which is to commit perfect technique to muscle memory.

If you can get with a coach, even for a session or two, this would be the time to do it! There is no replacement for a coach on deck.

Week 2. Do the same thing, 16 x 25, however with 45 seconds rest between repetitions. Everything else applies exactly as 'week 1.' Make sure that you are breathing to both sides (bi-lateral breathing).

Remember technique!

Week 3. We are going to begin to add some actual conditioning this week. Three swim workouts, however up the yardage to 600 yards per workout. 4 x 25 easy warm-up with whatever rest you need between reps. Then 4 sets of 25-50-25 ladder with 60 seconds rest between repetitions. To make sure it is clear, swim 25, rest 60 seconds, swim 50, rest 60, swim 25, rest 60, repeat. Follow with 4 x 25 easy cool-down, again on whatever rest works for you. The same thing applies here as all the previous workouts. If you fatigue to the point your technique begins to break down, take an extra 60 seconds rest. If that does not improve the technique, get out of the water, go home and try again next time.

I CAN NOT overstate this - if you are continuing to swim after your technique breaks down, you are doing yourself a disservice!

Week 4. Same as week 3, however reduce rest period to 45 seconds. Everything else applies as in week 3.

Focus on perfect technique!

Week 5. Three swim workouts and increase the yardage to 800 yards. 4 x easy 25 w/30 seconds rest to warm-up. Follow with 4 sets of 25, 50, 75 ladder @ 45 seconds rest. Follow with 100 easy cool-down (preferably swim 100 yards non-stop at EASY pace, enjoying perfect technique).

Week 6. Three swim workouts. This will be the first week of true endurance training. The goal is to build to at least 1.5-2.0 times the race swim distance in any given workout. Keep yardage at 800 yards. 2 x 50 easy warm-up. Then 6 x 100 with 60 seconds rest. Follow with 4 x 25 cool-down.
As the distance increases, it is very important you concentrate on proper technique.

Week 7-10. Three swim workouts. 2 x 50 warm-up. Follow with main set, building repetitions of 100's with reducing rest. Here is what I mean. Week 7 up yardage to 1,000 then add 200 yards each succeeding week through week 10 ( 7- 1,000, 8 x 100; 8 - 1,200, 10 x 100; 9 - 1,400, 12 x 100; 10 - 1,600, 11 x 100). Through each week, on each day, reduce rest period by 10 seconds per repetition (for example, Mon - 60 rest, Wed - 50 rest, Fri - 40 rest then reset to 60 seconds at start of next week with longer overall distance). Follow with 2 x 50 cool-down. If this doesn't make sense, send me a message and I will try and clarify.

Week 11 – final week before the race. We want to back off a bit so you can rest for the race. Three swim workouts. First one 800 yards, 100 easy warm-up, then 6 x 100 @ 1:00 rest, follow with 100 cool-down. Second one, drop to 600 yards using the same general format as above, then the third workout, an easy 400 swim – maybe 100 warm-up, then 200 yard easy continuous swim, then 100 cool down.

When you get to race day, trust your training. You will have been doing the race distance in training since week three. Through the remaining weeks, you are not only doing more than the race distance, but you are doing it faster and increasing your endurance in each workout.

Hope that helps. If you have any questions I will be happy to try and answer them.

2014-07-05 6:33 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member

Originally posted by JREDFLY . . . running negative splits by a minute at each mile all the way in . . .

James

WOW!  Great job James!  This is probably a better indicator of all the work you have done than anything else!

Edited by k9car363 2014-07-05 6:34 AM
2014-07-05 9:06 AM
in reply to: soccermom15

User image

Regular
East Wenatchee, Washington
Originally posted by soccermom15

Well I just did it - I registered for the short course at the New Town triathlon next weekend.  The butterflies are already starting.  I know once I start the race I'll do fine - I just need to keep myself calm until then. 
Janet

Way to go Janet! Trust your training. You'll do great.
2014-07-05 9:09 AM
in reply to: ok2try

User image

Regular
Originally posted by ok2try

Come on gang....post 'em up! Who is racing this weekend.

Happy 4th everyone. Be safe out there.

Steve

Spending a week in Bend Oregon visiting daughter & family. Nothing planned, but as it happens there's a 5k tomorrow. Late night I went with my youngest daughter, who is 17, to a presentation by 4 local Bend runners who did well in the Western States 100--miler, including the 1st place woman and 4th place man, who happens to be my son-in-law. My teenager, who is not a runner, got totally inspired and wants to do the 5k! So that's what we're doing tomorrow.
It'll be interesting because the elevation is about 3500 ft and that does effect my HR.
Have a good weekend everyone, whether you're competing or just relaxing.
Deb

Deb--Sounds like a great weekend. We love Bend. A fabulous place. We don't get down there too often as it's about an 8 hour drive from where we're at in Central Washington State. Hopefully you'll have time to rent some bikes and ride as well as run.

Hope your 5k went well!
2014-07-05 9:19 AM
in reply to: JREDFLY

User image

Regular
Originally posted by JREDFLY

I finish in 40:42 at a 9:22 Pace on what turned out to be 4.2 mile course, running negative splits by a minute at each mile all the way in.

I think now I will start using the Run Less Run Faster book Steve recommended to try and get my times down to under the 8:00 minute/mile for a 5k that just eluded me last year.

As I always say "not too bad for a little fat old Irish guy".

Happy 4th everyone!!!

James

James--nice work on the negative splits. That takes discipline to hold back early and then build through the final miles.

I found the pacing and workout guides in the Run Less Run Faster book to be pretty good. The key is to make sure you set your interval times at your current pace not your "want to run" pace. If the intervals are set to high you'll either A) be totally gassed before the workout is completed, potentially reducing your ability to complete the other workouts later in the week, B) increase your risk of injury because interval workouts are quite stressful, C) both A and B.

The other piece that I think is critical are the tempo runs. Those mid-week runs really condition your body for maintaining your effort at close to race pace. It's pretty easy to get very comfortable running slow...which does a great job of teaching your body to run slow. The slightly faster, slightly uncomfortable pace builds fitness while building the ability to maintain a that pace.

Hopefully you've got a place to train or a sport watch that will help you nail the paces for both intervals and tempo runs. Find the pace you're supposed to run, nail it, resist the urge to go faster.

Good luck out there.

Steve
2014-07-05 9:20 AM
in reply to: nancylee

User image

Regular
Originally posted by nancylee

I had asked about a closed group, but I think this one would be better for me, if ok to join?
Nancy

No worries. Glad to have you participating in our group Nancy.

Steve

2014-07-05 9:27 AM

User image

Regular
Subject: Swim Repeats--Scott?
Scott--

Any thoughts on this? Page 1.13 has the 1500 yard/meter repeat plan.

http://coachsci.sdsu.edu/swim/bullets/47GUIDE.pdf

2014-07-05 11:43 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran

Nancy

No worries. Glad to have you participating in our group Nancy.

Steve

Thank you, Steve!
I went for my first bike ride in years today, 6 miles out into a headwind and 6 miles back with the wind shifting! My neck was killing me. I don't remember if there is a trick - when I look up ahead, my neck hurts. Any advice as to how far to look, or will my neck just get used to it? Thanks!
Nancy
2014-07-05 1:24 PM

User image

Regular

Thank you, Steve!
I went for my first bike ride in years today, 6 miles out into a headwind and 6 miles back with the wind shifting! My neck was killing me. I don't remember if there is a trick - when I look up ahead, my neck hurts. Any advice as to how far to look, or will my neck just get used to it? Thanks!
Nancy

Hey Nancy:

Good question on the neck issues. My first question is whether you are riding a time trial bike (triathlon bike with aero bars) or a regular road bike. Both bikes require the rider to lean forward into the handle bars. The result is when your head is a neutral position--(looking straight ahead when standing) the forward position on the bike means you're looking at your front tire or slightly farther ahead. In order to see what's coming, the rider is forced to tilt the head upward to see down the road. It's an unnatural position and puts strain on the neck. It's much worse on a time trial bike than a road bike because the forward position is more extreme.

The other challenge is as gray guy/girl athletes we're just not as flexible as when we were younger. Combine that with a lifetime of living and there may be other neck issues that can come into play as well. I was having neck pain on my TT bike so I went to the orthopedic doc for a check only to find I had a congenital fusing in my neck vertebrae. Who knew?

The good news is it does get easier as you ride more. I can remember when I got my first serious road bike about 10 years ago. I could only go about 30 minutes before I had really serious pain on one side of my neck. Through training, I gradually pushed out the point where the pain kicks up. I still get pain, but it doesn't really start to kick in until I've been riding about three hours. I used to take 600-800 mg. of Ibuprophen (which did help) before every ride just to try to ease the pain.

If you've got neck issues or think you might, it's probably worth getting checked out by a doctor. Otherwise, just ride and know that it will take time to introduce flexibility and strength into your neck. It does get better.

You can also work on stretching exercises specifically focused on increasing the flexibility in your neck. An exercise the doc gave me consisted of getting hand towel to hold in my hands. Find a flat wall in your house and stand facing the wall with your nose about 8-10 from the sursface. Put your hands close together and place them, palms against the wall, slightly above your head. Slowly slide your palms up the wall as reaching as high as you can, rotating your chin and head upward. Hold at the top for 10 seconds, then slowly slide back down. Repeat 10 times every day. The towel under your palms will help your hands slide up the wall...and keep your wall clean! It worked for me!

Good luck.

Steve
2014-07-05 3:01 PM
in reply to: k9car363

Scott,

I cannot thank you enough for your plan and words of wisdom. I will follow the plan to the letter. i plan to get in the pool tomorrow and will watch the videos you mentioned today. Yes, the pool is 25 yards. I try to focus on technique but I think it breaks down quickly. I will have someone video and send to you. I have looked for a coach in the area without any luck so far. I truly appreciate you expertise. I feel better already just having a plan. It is true, you don't know what you don't know; but with your guidance I feel better already!

Thank you so much!
Sandra
2014-07-05 5:25 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Hi Steve,
When I was doing tris about 7 years ago, I bought a Specialized Dolce - it's a road bike, a great bike! I think it's the 7 years I've added since then that is the problem! I will try that exercise you gave me - it sounds good! Thank you!lnancy

2014-07-05 6:51 PM

User image

Spencer, New York

Originally posted by ok2try

Come on gang....post 'em up! Who is racing this weekend.

Happy 4th everyone. Be safe out there.

Steve

Spending a week in Bend Oregon visiting daughter & family. Nothing planned, but as it happens there's a 5k tomorrow. Late night I went with my youngest daughter, who is 17, to a presentation by 4 local Bend runners who did well in the Western States 100--miler, including the 1st place woman and 4th place man, who happens to be my son-in-law. My teenager, who is not a runner, got totally inspired and wants to do the 5k! So that's what we're doing tomorrow.
It'll be interesting because the elevation is about 3500 ft and that does effect my HR.
Have a good weekend everyone, whether you're competing or just relaxing.
Deb

Deb--Sounds like a great weekend. We love Bend. A fabulous place. We don't get down there too often as it's about an 8 hour drive from where we're at in Central Washington State. Hopefully you'll have time to rent some bikes and ride as well as run.

Hope your 5k went well!

Oh yes, Bend is a great place. If your children have to move far away, let them move somewhere you love to visit. So far we have done a trail ride on horseback, stand-up paddle-boarding on one of the Cascade Lakes, and a 3-generation bike ride that I can call a workout since I was pulling one of the kids in a bike trailer with 2 kid bikes bungeed on top. It's great to still be fit at my age.
The race went well; I was 177 overall out of 460, 3rd in the 60-69 AG out of 19. Time was 30:13, not my best time, but ok. Ran by HR not pace because I wasn't sure of altitude effect. Best part: my 17-year old, who is inclined to neither self-confidence not hard work, ran it also, successfully enough to be proud of herself and maybe inspired to do more.
Still to come: some training runs on the River Trail, and tomorrow, floating down the river.
Deb
2014-07-05 8:00 PM

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member
Subject: RE: Swim Repeats--Scott?

Scott--

Any thoughts on this? Page 1.13 has the 1500 yard/meter repeat plan. http://coachsci.sdsu.edu/swim/bullets/47GUIDE.pdf

Hey Steve,

USRPT has been around for decades and gone through several cycles where it is popular, then falls off.  About a year ago there was another uptick in the popularity of the method.

My first comment is that they are talking specifically about training swimmers.  There has been no study with respect to triathletes.  At the longer distances I don't think it would really matter but just sayin'.

USRPT is really a modification of Intermediate Endurance training.  It favors shorter repetition distances, although as you are training for the longer race distances, the two methods converge and are almost identical.  If you compare the USRPT 1,500 training recommendations to what I put up about Intermediate Endurance training in the Threshold post just a couple days ago, you will see they are pretty much the same.  USRPT recommends 25-30 x 100 at race pace, I recommended 20 x 100 at STP (race pace) and add reps as fitness improves.

I take exception to the USRPT theory when you are talking about a base build at the beginning of the season.  USRPT would have you only doing short repetitions.  I favor 100's, 200's and the occasional set of 400's during Extensive Endurance build phases.  USRPT's rationale is that doing short repetitions avoids injury.  My position is that if an athlete is injured doing 200 yard repeats then the athlete had something going on already and likely would be injured regardless of what they are doing.  As often as not, injuries are a result of poor technique so using either method, there needs to be good coaching input on deck.   I also think that USRPT discounts the psychological factor especially with respect to the newer swimmer.  If a swimmer has only done 100's or less in training, I wonder how much confidence they are going to have when they get on the blocks at the start of a 400, or a 1,500.

One thing I do like about USRPT is that it discourages the use of drills, paddles, pull buoys, and kick-boards.  I generally limit the use of paddles to the technique focus training prior to the extensive endurance base build at the beginning of the season so I am OK with not using them (paddles) during the season.  I think there are quite a lot of coaches that are going to have a major hitch in their giddy-up if USRPT catches on, they aren't going to know what to do without all their toys and drills - they might actually have to coach!

Thanks for sharing the link.  It was an interesting read.  I don't see where there was any actual clinical testing and evaluation (did I miss it?), but having a published paper does give a bit of credibility to the training method.

As for me, I will stick to what I have been doing for the past 45 years.  It has served me pretty well.

2014-07-05 8:12 PM

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member

Thank you, Steve!

I went for my first bike ride in years today, 6 miles out into a headwind and 6 miles back with the wind shifting! My neck was killing me. I don't remember if there is a trick - when I look up ahead, my neck hurts. Any advice as to how far to look, or will my neck just get used to it?

Thanks!

Nancy

Hey Nancy:

Good question on the neck issues. My first question is whether you are riding a time trial bike (triathlon bike with aero bars) or a regular road bike. Both bikes require the rider to lean forward into the handle bars. The result is when your head is a neutral position--(looking straight ahead when standing) the forward position on the bike means you're looking at your front tire or slightly farther ahead. In order to see what's coming, the rider is forced to tilt the head upward to see down the road. It's an unnatural position and puts strain on the neck. It's much worse on a time trial bike than a road bike because the forward position is more extreme.

Hi Nancy -

Another couple of thoughts.  Have you ever had a bike fit done? Might be something to consider if it has been awhile since you had it done and/or you never had it done.  I know having a bike fit done may seem kind of extreme, however, if it has been awhile, or you haven't ridden in a while, you may have aged a day or two.  Lots of things can conspire together to change your bike fit.  Just something to consider.  Also, most newer bikes have a stem that can be turned over making the rider position on the bike much more aggressive, which would mean your having to lift you head that much more.

Of course, if it has been awhile since you did any serious riding, you may just need to put in some miles.

Happy riding, and welcome to the group!

2014-07-05 8:27 PM
in reply to: golfgirl88

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member

Originally posted by golfgirl88

. . . I try to focus on technique but I think it breaks down quickly . . .

Sandra

Sandra,

This is what you need to work on first.  Your technique breaks down quickly for a couple reasons, number one, your technique is probably not quite perfect yet, that will cause rapid fatigue.  Secondarily, your swim fitness is probably not where it needs to be.  The next couple weeks is focused entirely on stroke technique.  If need be, you can read the articles on my site and visit swimsmooth.com before you go to workout.  Then proper technique will be in your mind.

Good luck!

2014-07-06 7:56 AM
in reply to: JREDFLY

User image

Veteran
Kennebunkport, Qatar
Originally posted by JREDFLY

Originally posted by Mountaindan

Great race James! I would say that is a good pace for anyone.

I need to get that book also, I feel like I have really slowed down as I have increased my mileage, time to concentrate on my cadence which will hopefully increase my pace.

Good luck on the swim tomorrow, looks like i wont be getting an OWS tomorrow, raining hard now and supposed to get worse through the night, hopefully Sunday will clear out enough to get in the ocean?

No fireworks in Maine tonight, thanks Andrew!

Thanks Dan.

Going to be heading up your way next week to Booth Bay. Can hardly wait, I love it up there.

Any inside scoop on The Lobsterman Half Triathlon in September? I know a couple of guys that said they liked it but for some reason the water was really murky and they actually had mud on them when getting out of the water. I like the idea of a lobster bake after the race. Yes, I do run for food.

James, No inside scoop on the Lobsterman, I'm a little surprised that is was murky unless maybe it was soon after a heavy rain? I was thinking about doing that race, but I may do my first century ride that day instead. Food and beer are my main reasons I keep moving, I love to eat and enjoy a beer or 2 once in while
Enjoy Booth Bay, yes it is very nice up there. It looks like the weather should be pretty nice.

2014-07-06 7:59 AM

User image

Veteran
Kennebunkport, Qatar

Nancy

Welcome to the group Nancy. Slow and steady to get back into riding shape
2014-07-06 9:36 AM

User image

Regular

Hi Steve,
When I was doing tris about 7 years ago, I bought a Specialized Dolce - it's a road bike, a great bike! I think it's the 7 years I've added since then that is the problem! I will try that exercise you gave me - it sounds good! Thank you!lnancy

Hi Nancy--The Specialized Dolce is a great bike. My wife had the same one until she got a newer Felt last year. I agree with Scott on considering getting a bike fit. I meant to mention that in my post as well. As Scott points out, there is quite a bit of flexibility on riding angle. If the fitter understands you're having neck issues they can potentially add spacers to the head unit to give you a more upright and comfortable position.

My guess is you'll slowly adjust as your ride more...but as you've already heard, the problem you experienced is not particularly uncommon.

Steve
2014-07-06 9:43 AM
in reply to: k9car363

User image

Regular
Subject: RE: Swim Repeats--Scott?
Originally posted by k9car363

Scott--

Any thoughts on this? Page 1.13 has the 1500 yard/meter repeat plan. http://coachsci.sdsu.edu/swim/bullets/47GUIDE.pdf

Hey Steve,

USRPT has been around for decades and gone through several cycles where it is popular, then falls off. 

If you compare the USRPT 1,500 training recommendations to what I put up about Intermediate Endurance training in the Threshold post just a couple days ago, you will see they are pretty much the same.  USRPT recommends 25-30 x 100 at race pace, I recommended 20 x 100 at STP (race pace) and add reps as fitness improves.

Thanks for sharing the link.  It was an interesting read.  I don't see where there was any actual clinical testing and evaluation (did I miss it?), but having a published paper does give a bit of credibility to the training method.

As for me, I will stick to what I have been doing for the past 45 years.  It has served me pretty well.

Scott--I too noted how similar the workouts you posted were to what was being recommended by USRPT. I made me wonder if you were following this regimen. I share your thoughts on putting in some longer distance intervals (200,400). Just hard to imagine getting in shape for a 1500 with nothing but 25, 50 and 100 yard repeats.

Quick question: if I was doing 25 X 100 yard repeats at race pace, how would I calculate my rest interval? Would it change over time or would I keep the RI the same and gradually increase the race pace as my fitness improved?

Thanks,

Steve
2014-07-06 11:52 AM

User image

Upstate, New York
Hi Nancy, what groups around the Albany area have you found helpful for the open water swim training? I have found so many helpful ideas in this forum but my schedule often conflicts with the only 2 I know of - Chrystal Lake or Westerlo.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Gray Guys/Girls Masters Focus Triathlete Forum--OPEN! Rss Feed  

of 40

RELATED POSTS

Beer Drinker Accountability/Appreciation Society - Open Pages: 1 ... 55 56 57 58

Started by Qua17
Views: 48191 Posts: 1446

2014-12-21 7:19 PM Qua17

Slornow and Wannabefaster's Summer Group-CLOSED Pages: 1 ... 51 52 53 54

Started by slornow
Views: 51175 Posts: 1331

2014-12-18 10:15 PM wannabefaster

Jim Kelley's (Birkierunner) General and Long Course Group (Open) Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9

Started by Birkierunner
Views: 19856 Posts: 218

2014-12-22 1:14 PM Birkierunner

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31