BT Development Mentor Program Archives » triOK's group - The best group - Closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 52

2008-01-19 1:15 PM
in reply to: #1165410

User image

Master
Dothan, Al
Subject: RE: triOK's group - My goal completed
I have a 45 minute bike ride Sunday, and I too will be "troo widit! for the week."

2008-01-19 3:48 PM
in reply to: #1108061

User image

Veteran
Subject: RE: triOK's group - The best group - Closed
I got my bike!!!! I went to a few shops this morning and ended up back to the new shop I originally liked. When I saw the bike sitting there I thought to my self...it is small, it is way too femme for me (has a butterfly imprint on it) and I thought I saw a similar bike at Target :-) Then I got on it... it was over... I was so excited and so damn happy that the entire bike shop was out in the lot watching me. It was mine... women's cut out gel seat and all (even a carbon rear fork). I ended up with a specialized women's vita sport (women't sirrus). Really I think it is perfect for today. Great fit, road tires, yet rides more like a hybrid as I am upright. I can see myself getting a true road bike down the line...but right now it would be too much like going 100mph in a ferrari. So... the vita it is.

I went out and rode 7 miles. Here is the scoop, I don't know a thing about biking. So.. can I ask some basics at the risk of sounding so novice? First... do you peddle the entire time you ride (unless of course going downhill)?, my front was mainly on 2, what should the rear be on (1-8) for somewhat flat terrain? I live in a yuppy housing developement with miles of bike lanes, not much traffic, should I still not wear my i-pod? Lastly... I road 7 miles today...is it realistic for me to think that I can run after biking in a sprint tri by April? The swim is not an issue...but I run so slowly (and it is never easy)... biking is probably much the same. Also... what if it takes me 3 hours to finish... will it be over before I am done? Suddenly despite my strength and stamina I am second guessing my abilities.

Speaking of swimming... I promise, i am in that pool tomorrow.

Elizabeth
2008-01-19 4:11 PM
in reply to: #1165702

User image

Extreme Veteran
Elizabeth,

Congrats on the purchase of your butterfly bike. I remember last year when I got my new bike. It was a mountain bike that I put rode slicks on, but it was my bike. However, I have already upgraded my bike to a tri bike. Not sure why, but I did. Each time I got a new bike, I was so excited that I just had to go out and ride it.

As for how to pedal, your asking the wrong person. I'm sure I dont pedal "Properly", but at least I have my Butt in the saddle. I plan to do a lot of reading in the coming months on how to properly pedal. Ive heard so many different theories on how to peddle, but each one confuses me even more.

IPod: I always run and bike with my IPod. I leave the volume low enough to hear, but I also can hear traffic, etc perfectly fine. I would say experiment with different types of IPods if you feel comfortable with using one.

Finishing: If it takes you 3 hours to finish, then at least you finished. But I would be willing to bet you will do just fine. Its amazing how much better I did then I thought I would. Think positively about finishing. Ive been reading alot about mental imagery. Your mind is very powerful both helping you and putting doubt in your head.

Good luck and get that Butt in the saddle....

Oh by the way, hows your weekly goals coming?

Curt
azelizabeth - 2008-01-19 4:48 PM

I got my bike!!!! I went to a few shops this morning and ended up back to the new shop I originally liked. When I saw the bike sitting there I thought to my self...it is small, it is way too femme for me (has a butterfly imprint on it) and I thought I saw a similar bike at Target :-) Then I got on it... it was over... I was so excited and so damn happy that the entire bike shop was out in the lot watching me. It was mine... women's cut out gel seat and all (even a carbon rear fork). I ended up with a specialized women's vita sport (women't sirrus). Really I think it is perfect for today. Great fit, road tires, yet rides more like a hybrid as I am upright. I can see myself getting a true road bike down the line...but right now it would be too much like going 100mph in a ferrari. So... the vita it is.

I went out and rode 7 miles. Here is the scoop, I don't know a thing about biking. So.. can I ask some basics at the risk of sounding so novice? First... do you peddle the entire time you ride (unless of course going downhill)?, my front was mainly on 2, what should the rear be on (1-8) for somewhat flat terrain? I live in a yuppy housing developement with miles of bike lanes, not much traffic, should I still not wear my i-pod? Lastly... I road 7 miles today...is it realistic for me to think that I can run after biking in a sprint tri by April? The swim is not an issue...but I run so slowly (and it is never easy)... biking is probably much the same. Also... what if it takes me 3 hours to finish... will it be over before I am done? Suddenly despite my strength and stamina I am second guessing my abilities.

Speaking of swimming... I promise, i am in that pool tomorrow.

Elizabeth
2008-01-19 4:16 PM

Veteran
okay guys...i did my hour of yoga..and im about to go run..then im done! Everything will have been completed for this week's challenge!
2008-01-19 4:30 PM

User image

Regular
Bristol, CT
Elizabeth, a huge congrats on the bike, it sounds perfect for you and more importantly, you seem very comfortable with what you got, that's key. Congrats!! On the tri, I actually direct about 5 races/yr, and the organizers should know exactly how many people are still on the course. You shouldn't worry at all about how quick you complete it. But I'm sure you're right in that you're underestimating your abilities, you'll likely come home with a trophy!! As for the biking/running, I'm no coach but I'd suggest you start doing some "brick" workouts. Meaning right after you bike, change your shoes and immediately go for a run, even if it is only say a 1/2 mile. The bike works different muscles so when you start running, it feels like you have bricks in your legs. But trust me, that feeling goes away after a few minutes into the run once your legs loosen up. Maybe do one of these per week if you can, and stretch out the run distance a bit over time, but it never needs to be a long run at all. I hope that helps, enjoy the new purchase!!!Oh, be careful with an Ipod when biking. I use mine occassionally but on low. Its hard enough avoiding getting run ove when I CAN hear the cars, Ipods make it that much tougher. And Ipods are typically illegal to wear when cycling during a race. Running yes, but cycling no, its prohibited by the USATF.Jay

Edited by stayfocused 2008-01-19 4:35 PM
2008-01-19 4:37 PM
in reply to: #1165723

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sarah, Great job on completing your weekly goals, with still a day to go.

I am feeling confident about this weeks challenge.

coldheat - 2008-01-19 5:16 PM

okay guys...i did my hour of yoga..and im about to go run..then im done! Everything will have been completed for this week's challenge!

2008-01-19 6:00 PM

User image

Master

azelizabeth - 2008-01-19 3:48 PM I got my bike!!!!

I want pictures!!!

2008-01-19 6:02 PM
in reply to: #1165129

User image

Master

lmscozz - 2008-01-18 9:37 PM  I'm doing the 1/2 marathon in Carlsbad, CA on Sunday -- my first one.

Good luck tomorrow Lynn!!!  You'll do great.  Can't wait to see the race report!

2008-01-19 6:09 PM
in reply to: #1165806

User image

Master
Dothan, Al
Aviator1596 - 2008-01-19 6:00 PM

azelizabeth - 2008-01-19 3:48 PM I got my bike!!!!

I want pictures!!!

Me too!!! And some pics of the bike would be nice too!!! Laughing

I did day the "day two" work out with the resistance bands, so maybe I score some extra points. Tomorrow will be the final bike ride of the week.

2008-01-19 6:10 PM

Veteran
IM DONE!!! WOOO

Good luck tomorrow!
2008-01-19 6:14 PM
in reply to: #1165818

User image

Extreme Veteran
Great JOB!!!!

You Rock

And we all kick booty

coldheat - 2008-01-19 7:10 PM

IM DONE!!! WOOO

Good luck tomorrow!

2008-01-19 6:19 PM

User image

Eastern PA
Elizabeth-
Congrats on the bike!! I was so excited last August when I got mine. Everyone at work was sick of hearing about it. I got a 47cm Fuji Finest 1.0 and have been really happy with it. I don't recommend the ipod unless you are on a bike path with no cars.

Les and Bennet-
Thanks for posting comments on my log. I didn't even know they were there. I didn't know what those little exclamation marks meant!

Thanks everyone else for the encouragement.

I swam/ran today and it felt SO GREAT. I feel all warm and muscley (if that's a word). I also found out about some low cost lap swimming at a local middle school two evenings a week, so next week I will shoot for that.

2008-01-19 6:32 PM

User image

Veteran
Thanks everyone. I am going to swim tomorrow and then I am done with my challenge. I am sooooo exhausted from all the activity today and this week... and I am getting dressed up and going on a date. Just working out all week has boosted my confidence... let's hope the sitter shows!

Elizabeth
2008-01-19 6:33 PM

User image

Veteran
One more thing... I will limit my new bike talk down to 10 min. during the date :-)

Elizabeth
2008-01-19 6:37 PM
in reply to: #1165835

User image

Master
Dothan, Al

azelizabeth - 2008-01-19 6:32 PM Thanks everyone. I am going to swim tomorrow and then I am done with my challenge. I am sooooo exhausted from all the activity today and this week... and I am getting dressed up and going on a date. Just working out all week has boosted my confidence... let's hope the sitter shows! Elizabeth

It does not count as a work out

2008-01-19 8:13 PM

User image

Los Angeles

Have a big day tomorrow to get my goals done. Was out of commission Thursday and Friday because I was sick, but got my bike done today.

Have yoga in the morning, followed by a swim. And I will do a jog in the afternoon. I won't let the group down!

2008-01-19 8:28 PM

User image

Master
Holy Cr@p!!!  I just left Alan an inspire, and saw on his weather page that his HIGH Temp on Monday will be -1....  I was having my private pity party because it is 23* here, but minus one!!! That is nuts.  I hope you stay warm, and please, run indoors next week.
2008-01-19 8:34 PM

Veteran
Thank you everyone for all of your encouragement through out this challenge week! Youre wonderful! Many of you have quite the impressive training schedule/past races! Keep it up guys!
2008-01-19 8:37 PM

User image

Veteran

Wow! Almost 24 hours without checking in at the forum...I kinda missed you guys!!!

I coached my 4th grade daughters basketball team in a tournament all day...20 below on the way down...I'm not sure where exactly to record that in my log but that coaching is hard work...must count for something!!

Great job everyone on your workouts and completing your goals! Really puts pressure on me tomorrow.

I have my long run tomorrow and it's the longest I've ever run so it will be a challenge...need to tell myself to relax and slow down the pace if I'm going to get through it. It is very cool to come on and see everyone else checking with 'done' or 'almost done' because then there is no way I will slack off tomorrow!

Elizabeth congratulations on the new bike...I hope your date was a cyclist because I guarantee you'll never keep that talk under ten minutes!!
2008-01-19 8:48 PM

Veteran
Go Alan!! I know you'll get be awesome on that run tomorrow!!! Youre almost there!!!
2008-01-19 9:41 PM

User image

Denver,CO
Well I got my swimming done today. So that leaves the bike ride tomorrow. I think I will make it.
When do we need to have next week goals up?

Laura

2008-01-19 10:22 PM

User image

Veteran

Just to make sure I don't forget tomorrow I'm going to post my week 2 goals tonight...my understanding is that I have to go up by 10% in everything...pretty much what i did in the run...bike and swim pushed a little further because my swimming sucks and I want to bike in the MN Ironman Bike Tour in April and I'm hoping to do at least their 60 mile ride (and then I can have a shirt that that says "Ironman" and people will assume it must be an ironman triathlon and think i'm a stud. I think that's the only way i'll finish anything that says "Ironman."

Run 101m
Bike 180m
Swim 2000m

3 x 60 strength
2008-01-19 10:56 PM
in reply to: #1165811

User image

Master
Vista, CA
THanks so much. I'm getting ready to go to sleep. I'm a little nervous. I just did my first race 5K on Thanksgiving and now I'm doing a 1/2. Call me crazy. Next will be the tri in April.

My goals for the coming week -- just in case I forget to post after the race and then the Chargers game tomorrow: Recover from the 1/2 marathon :-)

2 swims 3/4 to 1 mile each
2 bikes 35 to 45 minutes each
2 easy runs 30 minutes one, 1 hour
2 strength training sessions (one core and one interval)

Whew!

I'll let you know how I do.

How are you and how's your training coming????

2008-01-19 11:13 PM
in reply to: #1165835

User image

Master
Vista, CA
Elizabeth -- Way to go this week. Hope the sitter showed!

~Lynn
2008-01-20 7:11 AM
in reply to: #1165947

User image

Master
Loveland, Ohio
ldubbe - 2008-01-19 9:13 PM

Have a big day tomorrow to get my goals done. Was out of commission Thursday and Friday because I was sick, but got my bike done today.

Have yoga in the morning, followed by a swim. And I will do a jog in the afternoon. I won't let the group down!

Today's my final day, too, Lisa.  I was shooting for Friday to have been done, but life is what happens to you while you make plans for it (John Lennon).

Let's persevere and kick butt today!

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » triOK's group - The best group - Closed Rss Feed  

of 52