Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 24

2009-05-09 9:58 AM
in reply to: #1857266

User image

Veteran
Boise, ID
Subject: RE: PLMsbr (JD) Group - FULL
I've been using the nutrition duriring training that I'll be using in the races. I'm getting it pretty well dialed in. My drinks have some electrolytes and I will be taking a variety of Hammer capsules also. Still hoping to get an OWS in this afternoon. I heard the pond water/river water has been in the low 50's. I'm a little nervous about not being able to see the black line!!! Funny isn't it??

2009-05-09 3:41 PM
in reply to: #2140372

User image

Extreme Veteran
TX
Yeah, sometimes I really hate that staring at that black line lap after lap after lap... but you do miss it when you get in the open water and start zig-zagging around Cool
2009-05-09 8:22 PM

User image

Veteran
Boise, ID

And zig-zag I did!!!! I went to what's called the clock tower pond this afternoon with my son. He was going to stick with me in the raft but when we blew it up it had a hole. I used a long stem thermometer to check the water...48 degrees!! It was a nice sunny day, about 67 degrees with no wind. I had my wet suit (full arm/mid calf), polar cap, and Orca booties. I wasn't even chilled...the water actually felt great the entire time I was in. Very wierd, as you all know, being in the wet suit and floating on top of the water. I felt like I couldn't get my head deep enough. It forced me to not only concentrate on looking down but looking back, which I read is a good thing. I kind of felt like I was swimming pretty fast...kind of gliding on the water. But when I looked up towards the next dock I wasn't as far as I thought I was! It takes me about 15-20 minutes to really get warmed up, my breathing under control and my arms really going. But the nice thing about the wet suit is that when I really felt like I needed a break I could just flop on my back and float with no effort. I did find out I "lean right", way right! I can see now how during a race a swimmer may cross your path!!!

Well that's my first OWS report...bottom line...I can see I need more practice!!! The long range weather forecast looks good for next Fri HIM race course and then the HM on Sat.
Have great week!!!!!!!!!!  Tom

2009-05-10 7:05 PM
in reply to: #2141044

User image

Extreme Veteran
TX
48 degrees!!!  Good grief, I'd be a popsicle. Sounds like a great OWS practice with wetsuit, quite a different feeling that takes some getting used to. Can't wait to here about your upcoming weekend.
2009-05-10 7:06 PM
in reply to: #2141959

User image

Extreme Veteran
TX
Had one of those "it was good just to finish" days yesterday... you can read about it here in my blog if you want the details. Short version is late start, route confusion, bike crash, flat tires, and shifting problems; but we did finish!
2009-05-11 12:00 PM

Veteran
That was a crazy ride JD!  Glad you are ok.  Did you get your bike fixed?

I had a good weekend of training....great 9 mile long run and so-so 35.5 mile long ride (trying to be patient with the cycling but really wish I could go faster).  I averaged over 16 mph on the moderately windy, flat ride but had to push it a little harder than I wanted to achieve that speed.

It's taper week as I head into my first A race of the year.  It is also the first time I'll be traveling to a race.  I'm heading to Lubbock, TX and will be staying with my Dad for the weekend.  I plan on heading out to the venue to get in a swim Saturday morning and get a feel for the water and also drive the bike and run courses.  Just thinking about tapering has made me fidgety all weekend....the taper tantrums should be in full force by Friday.

2009-05-11 1:47 PM
in reply to: #2143503

Regular
Lake Forest, CA

I just checked out the weather for my upcoming HIM this weekend.  92 degrees with thunderstorms all day and serious humidity.

I don't know what I was thinking signing up for this, it is going to be brutal.

Orlando, great place to take the kids, but I am questioning my sanity in doing this race.

2009-05-12 4:49 PM
in reply to: #2143503

User image

Extreme Veteran
TX
Bike is not fixed yet, but I have a friend that says he'll look at it later this week. As for going faster on the bike, that one has frustrated me for a long time. I think it's harder to gauge effort level on the bike and how it relates to speed. I can measure things pretty accurately and consistently on the computrainer, and I'm anxious to see if that translates to increased speed this year.

Have a great time in Lubbock visiting your dad and we'll be cheering for you to have a terrific race
2009-05-12 4:57 PM
in reply to: #2143831

User image

Extreme Veteran
TX
Pac10er2 - 2009-05-11 1:47 PM

I just checked out the weather for my upcoming HIM this weekend.  92 degrees with thunderstorms all day and serious humidity.

I don't know what I was thinking signing up for this, it is going to be brutal.

Orlando, great place to take the kids, but I am questioning my sanity in doing this race.

I lived in Florida for many years, and the one thing I know for sure is that the weather forecasts are really correct Laughing  It will certainly be hot and humid, though - you may just be praying for rain by early afternoon! You know what to expect now in a half IM, so just stick to your plan (and watch that bike pace!)...  Good luck!
2009-05-12 4:59 PM
in reply to: #2146892

User image

Extreme Veteran
TX
Quick summary of this weekend's races (tell me if I got it wrong or missed something):

Trinity: Sprint tri in Lubbock

mtnbkr: Half marathon (with swim and 56 mile bike day before)

Pac10er2: Half IM (Florida 70.3)
2009-05-12 5:12 PM
in reply to: #2146896

Regular
Lake Forest, CA
PLMsbr - 2009-05-12 2:59 PM Quick summary of this weekend's races (tell me if I got it wrong or missed something):

Good luck guys.

2009-05-12 5:16 PM
in reply to: #2146892

Regular
Lake Forest, CA
PLMsbr - 2009-05-12 2:57 PM
Pac10er2 - 2009-05-11 1:47 PM

I lived in Florida for many years, and the one thing I know for sure is that the weather forecasts are really correct Laughing  It will certainly be hot and humid, though - you may just be praying for rain by early afternoon! You know what to expect now in a half IM, so just stick to your plan (and watch that bike pace!)...  Good luck!

I am glad to hear that and it wasn't the rain that had me worried, I will welcome that.  It's that moment right after the rain when it just bakes you with the extra humidity down there.  That is what I am dreading.  Bottom line though, the weather is the weather, you still have to race and worrying about it won't make it better.  I got some salt pills yesterday, and am mentally prepared for a tough but fun day.
2009-05-13 2:51 PM
in reply to: #2146911

Veteran
Pac10er2 - 2009-05-12 4:12 PM
PLMsbr - 2009-05-12 2:59 PM Quick summary of this weekend's races (tell me if I got it wrong or missed something):

Good luck guys.

Thanks and good luck to you and mtnbkr also!  I'll be looking forward to race reports.
2009-05-13 9:30 PM
in reply to: #2146918

User image

Extreme Veteran
TX
I have to quit typing when my brain is tired... was just reading the last couple entries and noticed that I wrote the weather forecasts are "really" correct, when I actually meant "rarely". Can overtraining have an effect on your brain functions, maybe?...   You have a good plan and great attitude, so no worries. One last thought, start trying to cool yourself down *before* you start feeling the effects of the heat. On the real hot Texas races, I'll start pouring water on my head and body during the bike, before I feel overheated; and keep that up on the run.
2009-05-14 4:29 PM
in reply to: #2149615

Regular
Lake Forest, CA
PLMsbr - 2009-05-13 7:30 PM I have to quit typing when my brain is tired... was just reading the last couple entries and noticed that I wrote the weather forecasts are "really" correct, when I actually meant "rarely". Can overtraining have an effect on your brain functions, maybe?...   You have a good plan and great attitude, so no worries. One last thought, start trying to cool yourself down *before* you start feeling the effects of the heat. On the real hot Texas races, I'll start pouring water on my head and body during the bike, before I feel overheated; and keep that up on the run.

I knew what you meant, no worries.  I have been there with the brain functions.  Flying out

Edited by Pac10er2 2009-05-14 4:53 PM
2009-05-16 5:42 PM

User image

Veteran
Boise, ID
Here's my race report for the Famous Potato HIM...didn't run it. I was very bummed. I ran a low grade fever all day Friday and a sore throat. I took some Ibuprofen and did get an OWS in that morning. Ate some lunch, took some more Ibuprofen, felt pretty good, so did  most of the 70.3 course. Was pretty wasted when I got home. Woke up Sat morning with a high fever and couldn't swallow without pain. Waited until the very last minute and decided I was just too sick. Went back to bed for an hour and woke up in a sweat. Felt fair the rest of the day...on/off low grade temp. Oh well..."listen to your body" right?

2009-05-17 1:39 PM
in reply to: #2155228

User image

Extreme Veteran
TX
That's too bad, sorry that ended up happening to you. You did the right thing, though. You could have ended up seriously sick or even injured, which could have really screwed up your training and preparation for the Half IM. Hope you're feeling better today.
2009-05-17 2:59 PM

User image

Veteran
Boise, ID
Thanks JD...I am feeling a bit better but realizing that the HIM is only 4 weeks away makes me nervous just thinking about it. I'm really worried about the swim...I'm sure a lot od beginners are...I'm making it a point to get in the open water at least 1x/week for the next 4 weeks. It really is a different ball game.
I have the Camle's Back Duathlon/Standard in 2 weeks. It will be good the practice the transitions...................Tom
2009-05-18 10:00 AM
in reply to: #2156075

User image

Extreme Veteran
TX
Trust me, it's not just beginners that are nervous about the swim, especially for a half IM! Those open water practice swims are a great idea and will help a lot. The other thing you can do to make it a lot less stressful is take a line that parallels the buoy line, but is off to the side away from the traffic. You'll eventually need to angle back in to get around the first buoy, but by then you'll be in your rhythm and starting to relax.
2009-05-18 10:28 AM
in reply to: #2157691

Regular
Lake Forest, CA
Well, I did the Florida 70.3 this weekend.  It was hot, but I enjoyed it a lot.  The course wasn't as flat on the bike as I thought it would be, and there was a section where you had to slow down because we shared one lane with cars going into Disney World.  Despite that, I had my best bike at 2:42.

The swim was much slower than my first but with no wetsuit and a ton of slow swimmers to wade through - being in the last group will make that happen - I felt okay.  The run is where the heat of the day catches up to you.

I actually did not push hard on the bike, and my legs were fine as I went out on the run.  It was just too hot for me and I found myself walk/running through the second third of the run.

My overall time was 5:52, which is an 8 minute improvement from my first HIM.  I went into this thinking it would be an easier event, but it turned out to be a little harder.  4 people from my company did this one that had done IM California, and each had slower times except for me.

I was happy to finish, and glad I had taken in a lot of fluids on the bike because it was a scrocher out there, with little to no shade on the run portion.

Funny story of the day - due to several factors the only flight home we could get that evening was a 3:45 flight.  I didn't start my wave until 7:21 so the whole time I was walking/running the course I was thinking about how I was never going to make my flight. 

I finished the event, got my tee shirt, medal, and hat, then kept on moving to the bike, got my stuff in my backpack and pedaled back to the hotel.  It was only about a mile, so not a big deal.  Raced up to the bellmen, who pulled my luggage out of storage along with my bike box.  While he was doing that I was breaking down my bike.  Got it packed in record time, then ran to the health club for a quick shower, change and threw my stuff in the waiting cab.  My wife had gone ahead just in case I missed the flight so we could collect our kids at home.

Made it to the airport, was helped by a very cool skycap who hustled me through the baggage check process and hanlded my bike box.

Made it to the gate at 3:30 and breezed into my seat.  Ate every snack pack Souhwest would bring me and probably half of their supply of water and promptly fell asleep.

Back to the house by 11:45 and at work this morning, fresh as a daisy.

Whew, that was hectic just typing it.  Anyway, really glad I signed up for this one, as it is good experience to work in the heat as most races that will be a factor. 

Talk to you later.
2009-05-18 12:12 PM

Veteran
Nice race Pac10er2!  Congrats on the PR in some difficult conditions and I'm glad you made your flight.

mtnbkr sorry to hear about your illness but I agree with JD that you did the right thing by skipping the race.  I hope you are feeling better and are back to your normal training schedule.

Well race 2 is in the books.  I had a great time traveling to Lubbock, TX and spending time with my dad.

I finished middle of pack which is what I expected.

The surprise was that I came out of the water in the top 5 (gotta love the wetsuit!).  Of course I didn't get to celebrate that long because the bike is where I struggle.  It didn't help that immediately out of transition was a huge (16% grade I'm guessing) hill which was followed by another (a little less steep but longer) huge hill.  After struggling over those I hit the flat section.  I was ecstatic to discover that the out was into the wind so the back would be wind aided.

I came off the bike pretty tired so I knew the run was going to be tough and it was.  My feet were numb from the cold temps on the bike so I felt like I was running on my ankles.  I managed to get up to my planned pace and held it for the first mile but I soon figured out I wasn't going to be able to hold it.  I kept thinking that I must have missed the turn around because I felt like I had been running forever.  I finally hit the turn around and gutted out the last half finishing fairly strong.

Overall it was an amazing experience (better than the 1st!) and the venue had some nice scenery around the lake.  The downside was that they didn't use timing chips so I don't have accurate splits.  I had my watch but was so caught up in racing I didn't remember to punch it every time I should have.

I am celebrating my great swim and the small improvement in the bike but me and my bike are going to become very good friends for the rest of the season as I struggle to make some decent gains.

2009-05-19 12:54 AM

User image

Veteran
Boise, ID
You're awsome Mike...way to go...hope I'm as satisfied with mine......
2009-05-19 7:45 AM
in reply to: #2157783

User image

Extreme Veteran
TX
Great race Mike! The definition of "flat" is a funny thing... just because there aren't any major hills doesn't mean there aren't significant grades that slow you down. 2:42 is a great bike time either way, though. Not much you can do about that heat/humidity other than hydrate well and tough it out, which is exactly what you did! And you are right on the money to compare your race based on how you did vs. competition vs. the actual time. There are so many variations in the course, temps, wind, elevation, etc. When you are the only one that had faster times, that really says something.
2009-05-19 7:52 AM
in reply to: #2158209

User image

Extreme Veteran
TX
Tim, your swim progress is very impressive! Congratulations on that, as many people struggle with the swim for years. Starting off the bike with a big hill is always killer, makes it hard to get your heart rate and breathing down after the swim. And way to tough it out on the run. Overall, nice improvement on the first, and sorry that our Texas weather ended up being so weird and miserable that day
2009-05-19 10:56 AM
in reply to: #2160106

User image

Extreme Veteran
TX
if any of you have been thinking about a computrainer, PM me. I hesitate to even bring that up, cause I'm not here to sell stuff; but just thought I'd check before I do a classified posting.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » PLMsbr (JD) Group - FULL Rss Feed  

of 24