Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 47

2009-02-05 9:18 PM
in reply to: #1856289

User image

Expert
CHARLOTTESVILLE, Virginia
Subject: RE: Sesh's Group - FULL!
AAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHH  Lego pieces!  I have nightmares about those.  It's like the broomsticks from The Sorcerer's Apprentice.  They just keep multiplying and I can't stop it.

2009-02-06 12:10 AM

User image

Expert
Portland, Oregon

I would just like to take a few seconds and *WHINE* about wk4 pushups...

that is all.

2009-02-06 10:39 AM

User image

Master
On a lake in the Adirondacks in NY

I managed to stretch week 4 into two weeks.  Now it is time for another test, right?  I think I'll be doing week 4 again.

I was helping my son put together a lego helicopter last weekend.  My job was to dig around in the container and find all the tiny, odd-shaped pieces.  My hands are still healing from all the little cuts.  Those things are sharp!  And they do seem to multiply, except for the pieces you are looking for.  Those are always missing.

2009-02-06 3:05 PM

User image

Regular

Hope everyone is doing well.  It is finally starting to warm up, a little bit, here in Indiana.  High today of 45. 

Thanks for the swimming sites, I have glossed over them and I am positive they will help me.  I did get in the pool today and had a decent swim work out followed by a run.  Getting back to regular training does feel good.

I hope everyone has a great weekend.

2009-02-06 5:51 PM

User image

Expert

I biked (trainer), swam and did a core/strength conditioning class today.  The legs felt the best they have all week on the trainer this afternoon - my last workout of the day.  I seem to have gotten over this cold and I'm looking forward to my first day off since Jan. 22 when I went for a walk to lunch. 

I hope everyone has a great weekend.  I have an exciting preschool yard sale tomorrow and then a long run (9 miles) on Sunday AM.  and possibly still going to try and get my 90 min. bike ride in.  The best part of my weekend is warm weather and getting to run w/ hubby on Sun. AM. We are dumping the kids w/ his brother and girlfriend.  We may start running at not come back.

2009-02-06 6:46 PM

User image

Master

I swam tonight and felt much better in the water than Monday.  Tomorrow is an off day from training for me so I'm planning on going to yoga and doing a core workout.  My daughter doesn't have 8 am swim practice tomorrow so I can actually sleep in. I think I remember how to do that.

2009-02-08 8:38 AM

User image

Champion
Brandon, MS

We have our first bike crash of the season  I made friends with the curb when taking a turn to fast.  I think everything is still together, but I'm pretty sore today and really, really glad it's an off day.  Other than that, it was a pretty good ride for me on Saturday, though I cut it about an hour short.  The brick run was awful, but that happens, and that's what training is for.

How'd the weekend go?

2009-02-08 5:27 PM

User image

Master

Vertical, Bill!  The bike should be vertical!  ;-)

Seriously, I hope you are okay.

Saturday I did nothing but take a short walk.  This morning I went for a run.  It was 54 degrees!  I overdressed, and was drenched by the time I got back.  Sounds like it was just a tease, though.  It's supposed to get cold again.

I hope everyone else had a good weekend.

2009-02-08 6:12 PM

User image

Expert

Bill - Hope you are ok - biking makes me so nervous. 

Sat. was a day off and I enjoyed it.  Played w/ the kids and spent time outside.  It was so nice.  Today I had a 90 min. ride on the schedule but also a long run (9 mile) for my 1/2 marathon.  So I ran w/ my husband this morning for the 9 miles then got outside for 55min. bike ride.  So all in all I thought it was a good day.  The weather was great.  Can't wait for spring.  Hope everyone else had a good weekend.

2009-02-09 10:44 AM
in reply to: #1951640

User image

Champion
Brandon, MS

Ya know, it's funny.  I've had two pretty significant wrecks, and both have been caused by me, myself, and I.  Sure I've had some cars pass a wee bit to close, but the only time I've ever gone down is because I took a corner too fast and locked the brakes.  Oh, and sort of along those lines, the MS Legislature passed a bill requiring motorists to give at least three feet of space when passing a cyclist.  Mississippi is not really a bad place to bike, we do have the Trace and all, but it never seemed that concerned with it either.  Some people worked really, really hard on getting this bill to a vote, and I'm glad they came through.

As for the wreck, I noticed this morning the back wheel is a bit out of true (but I still rode it on the trainer), and the crank and crank arm look thrashed, but it's apparently all cosmetic since it still rides fine.  The shoulder is still a little sore, but I'm going to give it a go in the pool today anyway.

2009-02-09 11:40 AM
in reply to: #1952508

User image

Extreme Veteran
Seattle

Sorry to hear about the crash Bill.

I went running on Saturday with my wife.  I was planning to go once around the man-made lake near where we live, which is just less than 3 miles.

Out of the blue I felt great - ribs were fine, no shin splints, wasn't tired - so when my wife turned for home I decided to keep going and before I knew it I had gone around the lake again.  I wasn't paying any attention to my garmin, but it turns out my mile splits were getting faster and faster every mile too.

By the time I got home it was 6 miles and I felt awesome.  My best run for a long time.  Maybe all the time spent on the trainer without any running has helped somehow?  Maybe it's losing a few pounds?  I don't know but I hope it continues.

Sunday I took my bike outside for once, which was great.

Still on track with my weight loss goals so far - I lost a pound last week and 2 lbs the week before that.  Got to keep on top of the nutrition though - it's so easy to fall off the wagon...

Hope everyone has a great week and that all the sickness and injuries clear up.

Edited by danielc 2009-02-09 11:41 AM

2009-02-09 11:43 AM

User image

Master

At least it doesn't sound like anything is seriously broken on the bike or you!

We need a law like that in NJ.  I ended up sitting on a guard rail a couple of years ago after a driver passed within inches, then honked at me when he right next to me.  I was really concentrating on staying straight so I wouldn't weave into the car so the car horn startled me so much I just lost it.  I wasn't hurt much (physically, anyway - my ego was a bit bruised) and the bike was fine, but I was freaked out and haven't ridden on that road since. 

I swam this morning, and I'm still alive.  I can even lift my arms. :-)

2009-02-10 8:59 AM

User image

Champion
Brandon, MS

I totally trued a wheel last night!  I noticed my back wheel had a little wobble, which I'm assuming was from the crash.  I'd never done that before, and it was a little bit intimidating, but it seems to have worked out.

We're all tearing up February the best we can aren't we?  Some may be fighting the injury bug, some may fighting the germ bug, and some might just have an increase in the load, but we're meeting them head on, right?  Although, I think a special whine day might in order.  I've been trying to put it off, but I'm nearing a much needed venting.

2009-02-10 9:25 AM

User image

Expert

I may be real close to needing a whine day as well.  I have a birthday party to get through this weekend.  My son turns 5 on Sat. (he's really a Valentine's baby) and I will running after his preschool class and some neighborhood friends.  Plus another 9 mile run and 90 min. bike ride on Sat/Sun. 

And while swimming yesterday morning I was getting depressed that my swim times are getting slower.  Soon my interval 800 running pace will be faster than my 100m swim pace.  I hate swimming but I did call another master's program and I'm going to give them a try Monday.

Oops - sounds like I am already whining.  LOL

On a bright note - the weather is fantastic here.  It will be in the 50s/60s til Friday.  My husband and I are going to sneak out of work a bit early tomorrow for a long bike ride.  :-)

Happy Tuesday all!!!!!!!!! I feel better already.

2009-02-10 10:27 AM

User image

Expert
Florida
sesh-really glad your ok!!
hope everyone had good weekends, i had my twice a year-im going ot pig the hell out because im so strict-weekend, and proceeded to put away around 15000 calories for the weekend in the form of pizza, cookies, cupcakes, biscotti, chinese food.
it happens twice a year like clockwork. my wife says i need to do that 6 times a year, cause im too lean, she doesn't mind the single digit BF% showing tho so im confused
Listened to advice and took the end of last week off from training because of my sickness hanging around, it was my recovery week anyways so i didn't fret.
glad i did cause the past two days have gone well entering week 1 of my last month on this 16 week oly plan. excited for the MIT in one month!
anyways thats bout it, still looking for a wetsuit, but i think the spinner sharks are still migrating down here so no OWS right now.
2009-02-10 10:49 AM

User image

Champion
Brandon, MS
I'm on the hunt for a wetsuit as well.  I decided to go with Desoto, and whenever people ask what I want for my birthday, I give them the link to the gift certificate page on the Desoto website.  My birthday probably won't be as nuts as the kiddo's, samantha.  I have a strict no running on birthdays policy.  Anyway, if all goes according to plan (in other words, if I get what I want), I'll be ordering a wetsuit next week!

2009-02-10 12:29 PM
in reply to: #1954527

User image

Expert
Florida
sesh - 2009-02-10 11:49 AM

I'm on the hunt for a wetsuit as well.  I decided to go with Desoto, and whenever people ask what I want for my birthday, I give them the link to the gift certificate page on the Desoto website.  My birthday probably won't be as nuts as the kiddo's, samantha.  I have a strict no running on birthdays policy.  Anyway, if all goes according to plan (in other words, if I get what I want), I'll be ordering a wetsuit next week!

nice sesh!

Are you going with the bib short and top combo???
T1???

someone on slowtwitch had a set of bibshorts and top in my size, but i can't contact them because i havent posted 20 times yet!!!!
soooo mad. my price range too, T1 and everything.
anyways-good plan!!!
the coach i am going to start working with gets a sizeable discount at xterra, and he wants me to get a full suit, which is what i wasn't going to do originally, he says the bouyancy and flexibility are better for me in the long run and my plan for the future( racing HIM's and IM's)
otherwise im going DeSoto as welL!
2009-02-10 12:41 PM

User image

Master

We can WHINE?!?!  Oh, goody.  I need to whine.

My workouts are going pretty well, despite an awful cough that doesn't want to go away.  My voice is shot, which according to my kids is a good thing.  I taught a yoga class last night doing a very nice Barry White imitation.  I'm not sleeping very well and keep getting headaches.  But I'm not going to let a bunch of germs keep me from working out!

I think the workouts are a good way to release my frustrations from work, which is busier than it should be in February, complicated by a laptop which is going to be a pile of parts on the ground below the first open window I can find.  (The IT guys are so lucky our windows don't open.)

My daughter's high school swim team is going to the state quarterfinals this weekend.  To show team spirit they are all bleaching the ends of their hair white and dying the top blue (their school colors).  She told me what they were doing and I said "cool. want help?"  She told me I was weird because all the other girls' parents are freaking out.  When I offered to do the same to my hair to show my support, she walked about grumbling something about wishing she had normal parents. There is no winning with teenagers, but at least you can have fun at their expense.

Samantha, you are very brave.  I've given up on trying to have parties at home.  It took me weeks to recover from the last one.  Luckily my son's birthday is in August so we were able work the last birthday celebration into a vacation.

Bill, I hope you continue to heal quickly. 

One last whine - I really need a nap, and think it's very unfair that napping at work is frowned upon.

2009-02-10 12:43 PM

User image

Expert
Make that 3.  Does anyone have any advice for a wetsuit that has really good shoulder freedom?  I rented a full suit last year and hated it.  For my second go round I got a sleeveless and really liked it.  However, my early spring races will be too cold for that.
2009-02-10 12:55 PM

User image

Regular

Make that 4 on the wetsuit.

I was looking at a Neosport Longjohn ($100-140 on Ebay) for a good entry level wetsuit.  I just can't afford the $400 wetsuits, no matter how good they are.  Any advice on longjohn vs full wetsuit, 5/3 mm vs 3/2, etc. would be greatly appreciated.

2009-02-10 12:57 PM

User image

Expert

Debbie - I love having another mom in this group.  No offense to anyone else but the kid comments make me feel like I'm not going crazy!  I am so NOT ready for the teenage years.  However, I have picked up a few bits of wisdom in my young mommyhood.  That party is nowhere near my house.  LOL  We rented a room through the county at a community center and a moon bouce.  So I only have to show up w/ Domino's, a cake and drinks.  Then watch a dozen 4-5 yrs. run themselves silly!

And why can't we nap at work.  I hated naps as a little kid and now I miss them dearly.  I did nap at work when I pregnant though.  I would close the door and crawl under my desk for 15-20 min.  I would be soooo tired.  My coworkers would cover for me.  He He

I hope the IT people get your laptop straight!  And the cough goes away soon.

2009-02-10 1:20 PM

User image

Master

Samantha, that is definitely the way to do it!  A moon bounce is great.  They will wear themselves out in that.  One more bit of advice.  Whenever I have to go to a kid party I take aspirin before I go.  It helps prevent the headache, or at least delays it until the party's over.  Too bad you can't bottle some of that kid energy for your run!

2009-02-10 1:28 PM

User image

Master

I have a random BT log question.  Does anyone know what the "FB" after some of the strength training exercises means?

(I know.  My noob-ness is showing.)

2009-02-10 1:31 PM

User image

Expert
Florida
ill chime in on the wetsuits, no kids so i cant add anything useful there
Sleeveless ive come to learn obviously has its upsides, there is more freedom in the shoulders, but its easier for water to get in, 5MM wetsuit is going to be more bouyant and "better" out oft he two choices.
My coach recomennded full because the full suit gives you more bouyancy and flexibility overall than the johns do. how much more really depends ont he maker and the amount of money your willing to spend.
i was originally going to go sleeveless with an Xterra sleeveless Pro X2 08 model, which was 400 new, but on sale for 175 to make room for 09's.
Coach said he me to do full, i asked him to talk with xterra and get me a decent full for 175
so im waiting right now.
The following companies ive come to understand have GOOD-GREAT reputations

DeSoto(favored by strong swimmers,elite AG'ers,Pro's?)

Xterra-firs tout of the water at Kona past two years, good quality and affordable pricing for closeouts and 08 models.

Then maybe Zoot, Promotion, etc....

Edited by BeginnerMan 2009-02-10 1:33 PM
2009-02-10 1:33 PM
in reply to: #1954527

User image

Master

sesh - 2009-02-10 11:49 AM I'm on the hunt for a wetsuit as well.  I decided to go with Desoto, and whenever people ask what I want for my birthday, I give them the link to the gift certificate page on the Desoto website.  My birthday probably won't be as nuts as the kiddo's, samantha.  I have a strict no running on birthdays policy.  Anyway, if all goes according to plan (in other words, if I get what I want), I'll be ordering a wetsuit next week!

That whole bit about your birthday just sunk in.  What day is it?

Anyone else have a birthday coming up?

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Sesh's Group - FULL! Rss Feed  

of 47