BT Development Mentor Program Archives » kalalau's Group - FULL for now Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 38

2009-05-17 3:26 PM
in reply to: #1876643

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland
Subject: RE: kalalau's Group - FULL for now

Way to go TRIATHLETE Becky and Josh!  Pretty cool when you can call yourself a triathlete.

Sorry I didn't get to hook up with you, Steve.  I probably could've planned that a bit.

My race was pretty decent, I think I PRed in all 5 diciplines.  Finish time was 2:40.  The roads were wet, and we got decent rain for the start of the bike course, which prevented me from having enough guts to slam the downhills.  Other than that, the only screwup I had was starting to run out the bike exit instead of the run exit.  Doh!  I'm used to running out the opposite side of the bike.  I think.  If not I'll make that up. :-)

Becky, were we telling you about Matthew, Roger's son?  He thought he got beaten for his age group 1st place, by someone he didn't know was behind him.  Well, when the results came out, Matthew had won by 1 second!  the other guy must not have led with the chip leg, or something is different about the mats than is obvious.

2009-05-17 6:20 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland

My race report is up if anyone is interested.  It's kind of boring though. :-)

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=159458

2009-05-18 9:48 AM
in reply to: #2156391

User image

Extreme Veteran
Fulton
My race report isn't up yet, but OMG...I think I spent over 10 minutes in transition, including almost 7 in T1.  I know I was about as far away as possible from the bike exit and it was hard to run in the wet grass, up the hill, with the bike, in bike shoes, but really??  7 minutes?  I know what to work on if I want to shave time off for Eagleman!  Those transition times are shameful.  Even considering that though, I made up 14 places on the combined bike + T1.  There were also only 3 people in my age group slower than me in T2 time.  Yikes!
2009-05-18 10:09 AM
in reply to: #2157642

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland

ras26 - 2009-05-18 10:48 AM My race report isn't up yet, but OMG...I think I spent over 10 minutes in transition, including almost 7 in T1.  I know I was about as far away as possible from the bike exit and it was hard to run in the wet grass, up the hill, with the bike, in bike shoes, but really??  7 minutes?  I know what to work on if I want to shave time off for Eagleman!  Those transition times are shameful.  Even considering that though, I made up 14 places on the combined bike + T1.  There were also only 3 people in my age group slower than me in T2 time.  Yikes!

Haha, yes that is so easy to do, especially in your first tri.  You aren't really around people in the transition area, so it doesn't seem rushed like a race.  But it is a race.  And lately, I've even talked to people.  Had a good swim?  Yeah?  You?  Wow you did really well for someone who forgot to bring goggles.  Hey, how was your swim?  Good?  Well, have a good bike.  All nice stuff but really, how can you rush a transition when you are having conversations. :-)

Just imagine all that free time you will get at Eagleman now. :-)  It's like taking over 5 minutes off your half marathon time!

I ran the mud/wet hills in my socks.  Until now I thought that might have been a detriment, but maybe I was wrong.  Bike shoes would've been slippery.

2009-05-18 2:56 PM

User image

Chicago, IL
Hey everyone....I hope all went well with your races this weekend.  I have not posted a race report yet either, but I do have some preliminary info...

I finished 32nd overall in the Sprint, 2nd for my division with an overall time of about 1:06 and change...I will be sure to write up and give you more details.  As an athlete you never want to use your equipment as an excuse, but having a "real" bike for this race made ALL the difference in the world.  I am twice as ticked off now that I did not have a real bike for my first tri, but whatever...

My race report is up as well now...

Edited by gone 2009-05-18 4:27 PM
2009-05-18 10:12 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland

Wow that's pretty impressive Dave!!  How did the aerobars work out?  Did you stay aero the whole time?

You've got a lot of time you can still improve on with fine tuning, things are looking really good.

2009-05-19 9:31 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland

Local folks - we are doing our yearly "Bike to York" on Sunday, on the NCR Trail, from Cockeysville to York, PA, at 8am.  The terrain is easy but the soft ground slow you up a bit.  Decent for a road bike or hybrid bike, but can be done with a mountain bike with effort.  There's short stops every 10 or so miles, with lunch in York.  Round trip is 83 miles.  Easy effort ride; this is not a ride you go hard on, due to terrain and trail walkers. Would love it if any of you could come along.  Let me know if you're interested.

Saturday is the Dreaded Druid Hill 10k.  A local rite of passage.  Didn't really want to do it again but I'm getting sucked into it. :-)  Nasty hilly course.  But fun.  The hills are ridiculous enough to make you laugh about it when you are done.  Highly recommended at least once.

Edited by kalalau 2009-05-19 9:32 PM
2009-05-20 4:38 AM

User image

Expert
Glen Burnie, Maryland
Hey Dave.
That sounds like fun. I'm already committed to a trail race with BRRC on Sunday morning.
We'll get together and ride one of these days.
2009-05-20 6:43 AM
in reply to: #2162438

User image

Extreme Veteran
Fulton
Hey Dave, I actually made reservations in Cambridge for Saturday night so we could ride Eagleman this weekend.  I've never done flat before... Where can you swim from there?  It certainly wouldn't hurt me to get in open water again before the race.

Abbie - I haven't forgotten to update you.  Today, if work doens't suck all my time.

Race report is up, but got pushed to the second page or lower. 

Edited by ras26 2009-05-20 6:44 AM
2009-05-20 7:12 AM
in reply to: #2162516

User image

Expert
Glen Burnie, Maryland
ras26 - 2009-05-20 7:43 AM

Hey Dave, I actually made reservations in Cambridge for Saturday night so we could ride Eagleman this weekend.  I've never done flat before... Where can you swim from there?  It certainly wouldn't hurt me to get in open water again before the race.

Abbie - I haven't forgotten to update you.  Today, if work doens't suck all my time.

We'll have to bump up the race report. We're you able to see the pics I posted on Facebook? If I get time htis weekend I'll try to get them up on BT.

Have fun on your ride. I wish we could all get together sometime and ride together.
2009-05-20 9:43 AM
in reply to: #2162554

User image

Extreme Veteran
Fulton
SCamp07 - 2009-05-20 8:12 AM
ras26 - 2009-05-20 7:43 AM Hey Dave, I actually made reservations in Cambridge for Saturday night so we could ride Eagleman this weekend.  I've never done flat before... Where can you swim from there?  It certainly wouldn't hurt me to get in open water again before the race.

We'll have to bump up the race report. We're you able to see the pics I posted on Facebook? If I get time htis weekend I'll try to get them up on BT. Have fun on your ride. I wish we could all get together sometime and ride together.

Thanks for bumping my race report.  :-)  I think we have to be facebook friends in order for me to see your pictures...or maybe you just have to change the permissions on the album.  Either way, it won't let me in. 

2009-05-20 10:16 AM
in reply to: #2162438

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland

SCamp07 - 2009-05-20 5:38 AM Hey Dave. That sounds like fun. I'm already committed to a trail race with BRRC on Sunday morning. We'll get together and ride one of these days.

Oh yes there is a race on Sunday isn't there.  Bummer.

Well I will be doing the Bike to York several times before Lake Placid so there will be opportunities.

2009-05-20 10:21 AM
in reply to: #2162516

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland

ras26 - 2009-05-20 7:43 AM Hey Dave, I actually made reservations in Cambridge for Saturday night so we could ride Eagleman this weekend.  I've never done flat before... Where can you swim from there?  It certainly wouldn't hurt me to get in open water again before the race.

I haven't been able to check race reports since Sunday.  They are really hard to keep up with!  There must be something other people are doing that I don't do, to make it easier.  Well I should be bumping it up at some point. :-)

I'm assuming you saw Chrissie's blog on "failure" and Columbia, but it's a good read for non-attenders as well:

Learning the Lessons

I'm not very knowledgeable about open water swimming in Cambridge.  When I was there, the open water did not look very inviting for 'just anyone' to swim but I have no idea really.  I bet someone on the Eagleman thread about know.  But lacking course-swimming, you could go to Sandy Point State Park on your way out or way back home.  That is the last exit before you head east over the Bay Bridge.  $3 a car I think.  They have a nice beach, showers, bathrooms, etc.

2009-05-20 11:58 AM
in reply to: #2163177

User image

Extreme Veteran
Fulton
kalalau - 2009-05-20 11:21 AM

I haven't been able to check race reports since Sunday.  They are really hard to keep up with!  There must be something other people are doing that I don't do, to make it easier.  Well I should be bumping it up at some point. :-)

I'm assuming you saw Chrissie's blog on "failure" and Columbia, but it's a good read for non-attenders as well:

Learning the Lessons

I'm not very knowledgeable about open water swimming in Cambridge.  When I was there, the open water did not look very inviting for 'just anyone' to swim but I have no idea really.  I bet someone on the Eagleman thread about know.  But lacking course-swimming, you could go to Sandy Point State Park on your way out or way back home.  That is the last exit before you head east over the Bay Bridge.  $3 a car I think.  They have a nice beach, showers, bathrooms, etc.

I don't think it's what we ARE doing in order to look at race reports, it's what we're NOT doing, and that's our day jobs.  :-)

Thanks for the recommendation of Sandy Point on our way home.  We'd have to take turns though, cause we'll have the yapper (pomeranian).  I'm not sure where he's going to fit in the car with both bikes, but he's small.  We'll squeeze him in somewhere!
2009-05-21 11:35 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Fulton
OK Abbie - this is for you.  I'll tell you the good, bad, and ugly of my first race.  Keep in mind, your experience may differ.  I'll included J's experiences too, just for completeness.  :-)

the good:  It was SOOO fun.  I passed people on the bike, which was really exciting.  I was proud of how I did, even though it wasn't a super-awesome time.  J was top 20%...how can he complain? 
I also got to meet some other really nice BTers, who were very supportive. 
Although I didn't get my medal from her like other people, Chrissie Wellington was there, which is awesome!! 
Overall the good overshadowed the bad and I can't wait to do it again, and try to improve. 

the bad:  Other people had the same problem, so i'm not sure how to prevent it, but in the water my ankle timing chip thing was flopping around and i thought i was going to lose it at the bottom of the lake. 
I panicked in the beginning of the swim and had to breast-stroke until the first turn...so much for all those swimming lessons!  The good was that I was able to pull myself out of it and have a good rest of the swim (I was very excited to see that swim exit though). 
J didnt' sight enough or soon enough and zig-zagged all over the lake.  The kayak was headed his way to tell him he was going the wrong way.  Practice sighting and do it often! 
I took FOREVER in T1.  Time just slipped away so quickly.  It seems silly and the neighbors may laugh, but it's worth practicing.  For example, i always put my hair in a high ponytail under my swim cap, but then the bike helmet doesn't fit over it, so I had to re-do my hair in transition...what am I, J-Lo?  When it's wet and tangled with nasty lake water, this takes longer than you might think.  J put his bike shoes on before he remembered to take his wetsuit off (I totally wish I'd seen it).  I almost left for the run with my bike helmet on.  Oops!
Everything was wet because of the weather, and I couldn't really feel my toes/feet on the bike.  Not much you can do about that. 

The ugly:  me in wet tri shorts and tri top!  Ick.  (J said he liked it, so I guess I shouldn't complain).  :-)  Oh, and my hair was atrocious...something like an electrocuted poodle.  I had a big smile when I crossed the finish though, and that's what counts the most. 

Good luck on your first race!  Even if things don't go perfectly, I'm sure you'll have a great time and be so happy in the end. 
2009-05-21 2:43 PM
in reply to: #2165978

User image

Randolph, NJ
Hey Becky...thanks for all the info...every little bit helps! It is so funny u said that about the pony tail and having to re due it...i was already thinking how to handle that! Why cant they make a swim cap to keep ur hair dry??? Isn't that the purpose? Why do u think u panicked the beginning of the swim? Intimidated? I am so jealous u got to do one already...even though i am already panicking about mine and its still 52 days away! I got to see the pictures Steve had posted on FB...almost felt like i was there...I feel so left out up here in NJ!

Congrats again...Triathlete Becky!

2009-05-21 3:03 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland

Maybe we should come to Randolph and do that one with you. ;-)

Hey did you request that "newbie wave" that they have listed?

Doh!  The race is sold out even if we wanted to travel up there.

Edited by kalalau 2009-05-21 3:05 PM
2009-05-21 6:12 PM
in reply to: #2166643

User image

Randolph, NJ
kalalau - 2009-05-21 4:03 AM

DANG! That would have been FUN! Yes I believe I did sign up for the newbie heat...

We need to find a race between us!
2009-05-22 11:22 AM
in reply to: #2166956

User image

Expert
Glen Burnie, Maryland
abbiesue - 2009-05-21 7:12 PM

kalalau - 2009-05-21 4:03 AM

DANG! That would have been FUN! Yes I believe I did sign up for the newbie heat...

We need to find a race between us!

Maybe we can find a race BEFORE Randolph. :-)

I would be up for all of us meeting somewhere in between for a race. I loved the Cape Henlopen race last year. Not sure where that is in relation to where Abbie lives.

WOW...I just checked the map and you're up above NYC. Looks like we would have to be in Central PA or Philly.

Edited by SCamp07 2009-05-22 11:26 AM
2009-05-22 11:39 AM
in reply to: #2168237

User image

Randolph, NJ
OK...to hell with the race....let's all meet in AC!
2009-05-22 2:34 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland

Hey you have a triathlon to get ready for, stop the party talk. ;-)

I don't see anything obvious on the calendar.  There are a lot of NJ races in Aug-Oct though.  The Black Bear Triathlon is only 80 mins from Randolph.  I would be up for that race but I can't make it to packet pickup in time, unless I got someone to get it for me (if taht's allowed).  I have a friend heading to that race so I have extra incentive there.

2009-05-22 2:37 PM
in reply to: #2168639

User image

Extreme Veteran
Fulton
kalalau - 2009-05-22 3:34 PM

Hey you have a triathlon to get ready for, stop the party talk. ;-)

I don't see anything obvious on the calendar.  There are a lot of NJ races in Aug-Oct though.  The Black Bear Triathlon is only 80 mins from Randolph.  I would be up for that race but I can't make it to packet pickup in time, unless I got someone to get it for me (if taht's allowed).  I have a friend heading to that race so I have extra incentive there.

May 31?  We'll be in Chicago for work. 
2009-05-22 11:22 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Fulton
Yea!  I (well, really J) just installed aerobars on my bike.  I'm really excited to try them on the Eagleman course tomorrow.  Wish me luck!  I'm not very coordinated sometimes.  :-)
2009-05-23 8:02 AM
in reply to: #2169323

User image

Randolph, NJ
Good luck Becky - let us know if u survived!
2009-05-24 12:39 PM
in reply to: #2169471

User image

Extreme Veteran
Fulton
abbiesue - 2009-05-23 9:02 AM Good luck Becky - let us know if u survived!

Not only did I survive, but it was fun!  I did the course for our HIM that is totally flat and even with pretty strong winds in places, you can go so much faster with so much less work!  I loved the aerobars.  I didn't really try them until after 10 miles or so, and then once I got comfortable with them, I used them almost the entire rest of the ride.  I came up every 10-15 minutes to drink and stretch a little since I wasn't totally used to the position, but then I went back down.  It is a little scary because the slightest shift can cause you to go awry, and it's harder to control with a crosswind, but really, I'm sooooo glad I got them and was able to try them out.

Really, compared to the 3+ hour rides around here or the very hilly metric century we did last month, E-man was a piece of cake.  I really should have pushed harder and now have a better idea of how to pace and ride on race day. 

Edited by ras26 2009-05-24 12:40 PM
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » kalalau's Group - FULL for now Rss Feed  

of 38