Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 24

2009-07-07 8:46 AM
in reply to: #2068595

User image

Regular
Hudsonville, MI
Subject: RE: Team No DNF - FULL
Agreed.  However, better to find out now than later.  I've sold some items on Craigslist and have had similar things happen.  Where the buyer is in another country, wants to pay more for the item than the listing price.  I always approach them the same way.  If you want the item, here is what we need to do:

1.  Meet face to face
2.  Show up with cash in hand
3.  Make exchange

I learned at a young age that "In God we trust, everyone else pays cash" and "Strike while iron is hot".

2009-07-07 10:46 AM
in reply to: #2266919

User image

Elite
Gilbert, Az.
Cutlass454 - 2009-07-07 6:46 AM Agreed.  However, better to find out now than later.  I've sold some items on Craigslist and have had similar things happen.  Where the buyer is in another country, wants to pay more for the item than the listing price.  I always approach them the same way.  If you want the item, here is what we need to do:

1.  Meet face to face
2.  Show up with cash in hand
3.  Make exchange

I learned at a young age that "In God we trust, everyone else pays cash" and "Strike while iron is hot".

Yep. Sucks it's a scam, that would have been a great deal.

John
2009-07-08 1:36 PM

User image

Master
Lafayette, IN

Hey everyone!  How's it going out there in tri-training land?  Anyone racing this weekend?

I've been chugging along and continuing to skip my swim training...

I have a race on the 18th that could be interesting.  I gotta get to the pool this week.  Maybe I should have a Emily vs. pool challenge?  Anyone want to come up with a punishment for me if I don't make it to the pool at least once this week?

Edited by esc 2009-07-08 1:36 PM
2009-07-08 2:16 PM
in reply to: #2270706

User image

On your right
Sure, I bet the punnishment could be... a swim time that's not nearly as great as you'd like. 

I actually had a great swim last night.  My previous non-stop best for a swim was 400 yards, last night I stopped at 2000.  Then today I had my longest run to date, and was still at my usual pace, so that was cool also.

Anyhow, keep up the great work everyone.
2009-07-08 2:58 PM
in reply to: #2270824

User image

Master
Lafayette, IN

Chaderbox - 2009-07-08 3:16 PM Sure, I bet the punnishment could be... a swim time that's not nearly as great as you'd like. 

I actually had a great swim last night.  My previous non-stop best for a swim was 400 yards, last night I stopped at 2000.  Then today I had my longest run to date, and was still at my usual pace, so that was cool also.

Usually, the thought of a poor race is enough to keep me motivated.  It doesn't seem to be working right now, though.  I need a more immediate threat.

2009-07-08 3:27 PM

User image

Veteran
Toronto
Here's where my mind funk is:

So during the race I kept thinking about, well doubting, that I was going to get thru the next, longer race - as I was having a hard time getting thru this one. Well not hard, but it was a challenge.

I keep telling myself that of course it was hard because I had lost 2 1/2 wks to bronchitis. But I'm still not convinced.

So now I'm having a hard time training. Mostly because I don't know how i'm going to get ready for the next race - double what I just did. I'm getting out of bed and putting in the training. But I don't have the desire to train like I did before.

I tell myself that if it takes 21 days to make something a habit then maybe having almost that long without training undid that training "habit" that I formed.

I'm just in  a funk and want to get my training mojo back - help.

Fi

2009-07-09 7:25 AM
in reply to: #2271044

User image

On your right
alexenafi - 2009-07-08 4:27 PM Here's where my mind funk is:

So during the race I kept thinking about, well doubting, that I was going to get thru the next, longer race - as I was having a hard time getting thru this one. Well not hard, but it was a challenge.

I keep telling myself that of course it was hard because I had lost 2 1/2 wks to bronchitis. But I'm still not convinced.

So now I'm having a hard time training. Mostly because I don't know how i'm going to get ready for the next race - double what I just did. I'm getting out of bed and putting in the training. But I don't have the desire to train like I did before.

I tell myself that if it takes 21 days to make something a habit then maybe having almost that long without training undid that training "habit" that I formed.

Fi

Remember that it will take everyone twice as long to go twice as far.  Not only that, but it will suck equally as bad for most of the other racers too.  Besides, if you don't finish, John will throw you out of the group. 
2009-07-09 9:20 AM
in reply to: #2272212

User image

Veteran
Toronto
Is that supposed to make me feel better?
Thanks, I think.
2009-07-09 9:59 AM
in reply to: #2271044

User image

Elite
Gilbert, Az.
alexenafi - 2009-07-08 1:27 PM Here's where my mind funk is:

Fi

Set weekly or even daily goals. Make each workout a challenge, look to find what you found fun in training before.

I'm actually in a bit of a funk myself, I found out that if I still want to test for 4th degree in February, I need 100 classes before then. So, I have to scale my training back some

I've got too many goals and not enough time. I need to win the lottery :-/

John
2009-07-09 10:03 AM
in reply to: #2270957

User image

Elite
Gilbert, Az.
esc - 2009-07-08 12:58 PM

Chaderbox - 2009-07-08 3:16 PM Sure, I bet the punnishment could be... a swim time that's not nearly as great as you'd like. 

Usually, the thought of a poor race is enough to keep me motivated.  It doesn't seem to be working right now, though.  I need a more immediate threat.

Threat? Bah. Threats are for five year olds to get them to clean their room. You can sit there and act like you are five and skip doing the things you know you should do, or you can get out there and get it done. Or else go to your room and sit in the corner, no dessert tonight!

John
2009-07-09 10:58 AM
in reply to: #2272789

User image

Veteran
Toronto
tkd.teacher - 2009-07-09 10:59 AM
alexenafi - 2009-07-08 1:27 PM Here's where my mind funk is:

Fi

Set weekly or even daily goals. Make each workout a challenge, look to find what you found fun in training before.

I'm actually in a bit of a funk myself, I found out that if I still want to test for 4th degree in February, I need 100 classes before then. So, I have to scale my training back some

I've got too many goals and not enough time. I need to win the lottery :-/

John

Thanks John.
I tried that with my swimming on Monday - making more structure to it and giving myself timed rests and goals for each 100m and then sprinting the next 3 laps. I did enjoy it more. I think part of it was in the blissful ignorance of not knowing what a race was like before - and now having the reality of it all.

I have today off and then I'm back in the pool tomorrow.

Fi

2009-07-09 3:12 PM
in reply to: #2272803

User image

Master
Lafayette, IN

tkd.teacher - 2009-07-09 11:03 AM
esc - 2009-07-08 12:58 PM

Threat? Bah. Threats are for five year olds to get them to clean their room. You can sit there and act like you are five and skip doing the things you know you should do, or you can get out there and get it done. Or else go to your room and sit in the corner, no dessert tonight!

John

But I don't wanna go to the pool!!  waaaaaaa!!!!

What do you think?  Pretty stellar impersonation of a 5 year old, if I do say so myself.

You're right, of course.  It is all up to me.  Usually, writing it down on the weekly schedule is enough to make me go.  Just haven't been getting it done recently.  I have a race next weekend that will hopefully re-fuel the fire.  And I've found a good outdoor pool to use on nice weather days.  Should be an improvement of the skanky gym pool that I've been going to.

Side note - Back in the day, I was totally the sort of five year old that got sent to bed without dinner.  My grandpa loves to tell the story of the time we were sitting at the dinner table and I wasn't eating.  He told me to eat my hamburger.  I picked it up, crumpled it into tiny pieces, and threw back on my plate.  Spanking and sent to bed early.  But I didn't have to eat that darn hamburger!

2009-07-10 10:08 AM
in reply to: #2274063

User image

Elite
Gilbert, Az.
esc - 2009-07-09 1:12 PM
But I don't wanna go to the pool!!  waaaaaaa!!!!

What do you think?  Pretty stellar impersonation of a 5 year old, if I do say so myself.

Yeah, but you're a girl. That's natural for you to whine. (hehehehe) Just get in the pool and paddle around a few times, don't worry about the workout. Getting wet is the first step.

I've got to rework my schedule, and I guess I'm just going to have to be happy with a mid 5 hour time for Soma HIM. :-(

But, I'm a hell of a lot better at martial arts than I am at triathlon, and I have some goals I want to meet, so...gotta shift some priorities around. :-/

John

2009-07-10 8:20 PM

User image

Veteran
Maine
Well, i have my first tri tomorrow(saturday morning). I'd excited but definitely nervous. I haven't put all three together yet. I can't wait to leave at 5:30am! woo-hoo.
2009-07-10 8:53 PM

User image

Expert
Kick butt, girl!! Can't wait to hear all about it. Good luck!!

PS - Go Astana!
2009-07-10 10:23 PM
in reply to: #2277378

User image

Regular
Hudsonville, MI
zachkoe - 2009-07-10 9:20 PM Well, i have my first tri tomorrow(saturday morning). I'd excited but definitely nervous. I haven't put all three together yet. I can't wait to leave at 5:30am! woo-hoo.

Good luck tomorrow!!!!! 

2009-07-11 12:45 PM
in reply to: #2277538

User image

Veteran
Toronto
Cutlass454 - 2009-07-10 11:23 PM
zachkoe - 2009-07-10 9:20 PM Well, i have my first tri tomorrow(saturday morning). I'd excited but definitely nervous. I haven't put all three together yet. I can't wait to leave at 5:30am! woo-hoo.

Good luck tomorrow!!!!! 

hey, I had a late night last night - no more than 2 drinks but was out VERY LATE!

Hope the tri went well!!!

Off for a run soon.

Fi
2009-07-11 7:03 PM

User image

On your right
Have a great race, and enjoy it.
2009-07-11 9:13 PM

User image

Expert
So how'd it go??
2009-07-12 12:00 PM

User image

Veteran
Maine
Yeah, I'm officially hooked! I can't wait to do another tri!

It went pretty well, I wasn't prepared for the bike at all. The race was in the Western foothills of Maine. So, there were some really big hills that I was just not prepared for. Other than that it went really well, I was really worried about the swim but I finished 16 out of 50 something women. Overall, I was 21st in the women and 4th in my age group. My transition from swim to bike was just awful. My water bottle got moved when I took the bike off the rack, so when I tried to get on my bike it half fell off, so while I was trying to get it off I dropped my glove. Finally I got it off and some woman was chasing after me with my glove. I stopped and forgot to unclip out of my pedals and fell. Must of been funny to watch. Well there was the less than a minute that would have put me in third place and won a cow bell.
I wanted to be in the upper half of the middle and accomplished that, so I am happy. Excited to get back to some more training!
2009-07-12 10:08 PM
in reply to: #2279170

User image

Regular
Hudsonville, MI
zachkoe - 2009-07-12 1:00 PM Yeah, I'm officially hooked! I can't wait to do another tri!

It went pretty well, I wasn't prepared for the bike at all. The race was in the Western foothills of Maine. So, there were some really big hills that I was just not prepared for. Other than that it went really well, I was really worried about the swim but I finished 16 out of 50 something women. Overall, I was 21st in the women and 4th in my age group. My transition from swim to bike was just awful. My water bottle got moved when I took the bike off the rack, so when I tried to get on my bike it half fell off, so while I was trying to get it off I dropped my glove. Finally I got it off and some woman was chasing after me with my glove. I stopped and forgot to unclip out of my pedals and fell. Must of been funny to watch. Well there was the less than a minute that would have put me in third place and won a cow bell.
I wanted to be in the upper half of the middle and accomplished that, so I am happy. Excited to get back to some more training!

Congrats on a successful race and on your placing in your AG.  Glad to hear that you worked your way through the issues you had during the transition.  Sounds like a good learning experience.  Once again, congrats on your results. 

2009-07-13 6:55 PM

User image

Expert
Congrats!! You'll get that cowbell next time.
2009-07-13 8:48 PM

User image

Veteran
Toronto
COngrats on the race.

I have a question for John:

Road bike or Tri Bike?

I love the P2C - it's carbon, the right price range and has great reviews. But should I be looking at a road bike?

I understand the differences and think that you should train on what you intend to race. But what are the downsides to a tri bike?

THanks ,

Fi
2009-07-13 11:36 PM
in reply to: #2282760

User image

Elite
Gilbert, Az.
alexenafi - 2009-07-13 6:48 PM COngrats on the race.

I have a question for John:

Road bike or Tri Bike?

I love the P2C - it's carbon, the right price range and has great reviews. But should I be looking at a road bike?

I understand the differences and think that you should train on what you intend to race. But what are the downsides to a tri bike?

THanks ,

Fi

A tri bike is less versatile, it's harder to ride just for "fun". The handling is different (not as responsive), and can be more uncomfortable if you are on longer (75+ miles) rides.

John
2009-07-15 9:24 PM

User image

Veteran
Toronto
Had an OWS clinic tonight. The water was 68F/19C. Wasn't too bad once you got going.
Did some drills and intervals. Lasted 90m but prob 60m of swimming.

How is everyone - so quiet.

Fi
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Team No DNF - FULL Rss Feed  

of 24