BT Development Mentor Program Archives » GordoByrn's Group Full for the Spring Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 27

2009-07-04 11:21 AM
in reply to: #2256621

User image

Extreme Veteran
Southern California
Subject: RE: GordoByrn's Group Full for the Spring
All in all - looks like a very well-paced effort for you.

I agree, I feel like it was the best effort I could produce based on my current fitness.

I have a question about shoes/pedals.  Right now I am using my MTB shoes and pedals (Shimano SPD).  I am thinking about getting some road shoes/pedals.  Would I gain anything by getting roadie shoes/pedals?

2009-07-04 11:27 AM
in reply to: #2072085

User image

Extreme Veteran
Southern California
Happy 4th of July everyone!

I am a little down as I have no races scheduled.  I do have a local 5k on August 7th, but no triathlons.  There are a couple I wish I could do, July 26th (will be on vacation) and August 23rd (kids start school the next day).  The kids start soccer season soon so weekends are taken up from August through October.  I will probably not be able to race until December.  Cry
2009-07-04 11:59 AM
in reply to: #2261469

User image

Extreme Veteran
Boulder, CO
cjhild - 2009-07-04 10:21 AM
All in all - looks like a very well-paced effort for you.

I agree, I feel like it was the best effort I could produce based on my current fitness.

I have a question about shoes/pedals.  Right now I am using my MTB shoes and pedals (Shimano SPD).  I am thinking about getting some road shoes/pedals.  Would I gain anything by getting roadie shoes/pedals?

Hi Justin,

What's your definition of "gain" -- if you are riding comfortably then probably not much.  What you might find is that a solid road shoe/pedal combo (I like Look pedals) gives you a bit more stability.  I get calf issues using certain combos (I don't recommend speedplay for this reason).  Some MTN combos can be a touch loose and lead to Achilles issues in some athletes.

More here:

http://www.endurancecorner.com/library/injury_prevention_treatment/achilles_tendonitis

2009-07-04 12:00 PM
in reply to: #2261489

User image

Extreme Veteran
Boulder, CO
cjhild - 2009-07-04 10:27 AM Happy 4th of July everyone!

I am a little down as I have no races scheduled.  I do have a local 5k on August 7th, but no triathlons.  There are a couple I wish I could do, July 26th (will be on vacation) and August 23rd (kids start school the next day).  The kids start soccer season soon so weekends are taken up from August through October.  I will probably not be able to race until December.  Cry

Why don't you grab a buddy and create your own? 
2009-07-05 7:19 AM
in reply to: #2261556

Expert

GordoByrn - 2009-07-04 1:00 PM
cjhild

I am a little down as I have no races scheduled. Cry

DUDES! Let's do a GMG (Gordo Mentor Group) Virtual Triathlon. Pick a date. Pick a distance. Do the race 'together' and report the results here. No traveling, no crowded swim wave and best of all: no entry fees. Whaddya say. Justin, I'm gonna beat you! Nyah nyah nyah nah-nah dontletanoldladybeatyou! Suzy my only hope is some well-intentioned volunteer points you down the wrong road bwahhahhah. Matthew - just do it dude actually we could race together in real life couldn't we - where should we meet? Culpeper? My daughter can babysit. Gordo - aw c'mon you have to do the course twice. Ken? Laura? Everyone?

2009-07-05 2:21 PM
in reply to: #2262385

User image

Extreme Veteran
Boulder, CO
Sounds like fun for the virtual race.  I'm in - July 19th works for me.

2009-07-05 2:35 PM
in reply to: #2261447

User image

cjhild - 2009-07-04 11:05 AM
I also bought a bike the other day

What did you get?!?

'09 Cervelo P1.

Haven't gotten anything nice for myself in awhile and wanted to get something that could be used for several years without feeling like I needed to upgrade.

Tried to go to the gym on Friday and it was closed due to the 4th of July holiday, but was then going to be open on the 4th. Makes no sense to me.

Hope everyone is enjoying their (hopefully long) weekend.

- Rob
2009-07-05 3:34 PM
in reply to: #2261553

User image

Extreme Veteran
Southern California
What's your definition of "gain"

I have no idea.  Which probably answers my question.  I am very comfortable with my current shoes, was just thinking it was something I "should" do.  I guess just looking at something else to buy.   I will stick with mine till have any issues.
2009-07-05 3:44 PM
in reply to: #2261556

User image

Extreme Veteran
Southern California

Great idea G and B.

I am in for the 19th as well.  Barb- you good?  I don't have anyone that will do the whole thing, but I do have a buddy that will do the bike leg with me (I plan to crush him).

I am going to do a sprint, the distances of the Desert Triathlon I did in March and plan to do in 2010, 500 yd swim (this one will be a pool swim), 14 mile bike, and 3 mile run.  I think my T1 will be pretty long as I have to negotiate the men's locker room out of the pool.
2009-07-05 3:48 PM
in reply to: #2262891

User image

Extreme Veteran
Southern California
'09 Cervelo P1

<--------- Jealous.

Awesome!  I have been looking at the P1 as a possible first tri bike.  I would like to go Cervelo and the P1 will be my price range when that time comes (could be awhile).  Let us know how you like it.
2009-07-06 4:16 PM

User image

New user

Speaking of Tri Bikes... after 6 years of riding my Trek 2300 road bike, I think it's time to move on to something else (one of my tri-buddies calls it the "lead sled").  I was fitted on it, and actually went from a 58cm Cannondale to a 60cm Trek.  I trusted my bike guy at the time to dial in an accurate frame, but always just feel like the bike is too big for me....  don't want to make that same mistake again.

Gordo, you had mentioned that a guy of my height (6'1") and limiters (tight hamstrings and troublesome back) might be better suited to a road geometry with aerobars.  So, couple of questions:

1.  Will Yoga help me with my hammy flexibility?  My wife is loving Yoga, and I am kind of *shy* about trying it out.

2.  Will better flexibility help get me into more of an aggressive tri position without losing power?

3.  What are your thoughts on the Cervelo P2 as an option?  It has the reversible seat post, allowing one to ride a more slack or steep seat angle.

Thanks G!

2009-07-06 5:10 PM

User image

New user
....other option would be the Kestrel Talon...

and BTW, G -- waiting for my first shipment of Kona Coffee from COH.
2009-07-06 11:08 PM
in reply to: #2262385

User image

New user
BabsVa - 2009-07-05 5:19 AM

GordoByrn - 2009-07-04 1:00 PM
cjhild

I am a little down as I have no races scheduled. Cry

DUDES! Let's do a GMG (Gordo Mentor Group) Virtual Triathlon. Pick a date. Pick a distance. Do the race 'together' and report the results here. No traveling, no crowded swim wave and best of all: no entry fees. Whaddya say. Justin, I'm gonna beat you! Nyah nyah nyah nah-nah dontletanoldladybeatyou! Suzy my only hope is some well-intentioned volunteer points you down the wrong road bwahhahhah. Matthew - just do it dude actually we could race together in real life couldn't we - where should we meet? Culpeper? My daughter can babysit. Gordo - aw c'mon you have to do the course twice. Ken? Laura? Everyone?

As much as I would like to compete (and be first out of the water Tongue out)  -- I really am trying to stay in my aerobic zone, until just before my first race in August.  And today I found out I am going to a wedding that day... so my first race may not be until September.  UNLESS I can figure out a way to drive home from Show Low (AZ) in time for the wedding, I would even clean off the race numbers and Hammer tattoos....

My competitive juices are flowing.... nah.  Have to stick with the training plan.  Will pass on this go round... I will be cheering you all on, though -- no drafting!

ken
2009-07-07 6:52 AM

User image

Champion
Verona WI--Ironman Bike Country!
Hi All

Sorry I have been MIA, I am at our house in Northern WI enjoying the clean lakes, cool weather and solitude!  Waking up to crisp 50F is awesome and not grabbing weeds when you swim is priceless.

We are having a load of people up here over the weekend of the 19th.  How can I participate in the virtual tri???  In a prior mentor group, we gave ourselves two weeks to complete the events.

Justin, I used to use MTB pedals and shoes and really liked them.  Over the winter, I switched (due to some foot issues) to Shimano Dura Ace 7800s because they are lighter and seem to spread my weight more evenly. The big downside IMO is they are not double sided.  I waste a little time making sure the pedal is upright.  Otherwise, I like them a lot. 

G--two questions for you:

1. What is the longest B-R brick you recommend for your first time HIM'ers?  I don't have my notes with me from the webinar and I was having that debate last night.  Some go for long runs after a long bike, others say it is a way to set yourself up for an injury as a first timerl.

2. I have a friend (and no, it isn't me) who appears to be suffering from severe burn-out.  She did TTT and HHH 200K and is signed up for IM WI again this year.  She is quitting workouts mid stream or missing the goal, performing poorly at races and has an all around lackluster attitude, but keeps training.  I try to tell her to take some time off, but she tells me IM WI is around the corner.  Advice?
2009-07-07 1:47 PM
in reply to: #2262972

Expert

cjhild - 2009-07-05 4:44 PM

Great idea G and B.

I am in for the 19th as well.  Barb- you good? 

Awwwwright! I'm in.

Sure Suzy do it anytime, I guess (I'm kind of assuming the role of virtual triathlon RD here ... hmmm let me scare up some good virtual swag for the participants ... KEN! Do it, just do it at your pace c'mon man

2009-07-07 2:18 PM
in reply to: #2267960

User image

Champion
BabsVa - 2009-07-07 1:47 PM

cjhild - 2009-07-05 4:44 PM

Great idea G and B.

I am in for the 19th as well.  Barb- you good? 

Awwwwright! I'm in.

Sure Suzy do it anytime, I guess (I'm kind of assuming the role of virtual triathlon RD here ... hmmm let me scare up some good virtual swag for the participants ... KEN! Do it, just do it at your pace c'mon man

Hey Barb
Love the new avatar!

2009-07-07 8:36 PM
in reply to: #2265594

User image

Extreme Veteran
Boulder, CO
Ken in AZ - 2009-07-06 3:16 PM

Speaking of Tri Bikes... after 6 years of riding my Trek 2300 road bike, I think it's time to move on to something else (one of my tri-buddies calls it the "lead sled").  I was fitted on it, and actually went from a 58cm Cannondale to a 60cm Trek.  I trusted my bike guy at the time to dial in an accurate frame, but always just feel like the bike is too big for me....  don't want to make that same mistake again.

Gordo, you had mentioned that a guy of my height (6'1") and limiters (tight hamstrings and troublesome back) might be better suited to a road geometry with aerobars.  So, couple of questions:

1.  Will Yoga help me with my hammy flexibility?  My wife is loving Yoga, and I am kind of *shy* about trying it out.

2.  Will better flexibility help get me into more of an aggressive tri position without losing power?

3.  What are your thoughts on the Cervelo P2 as an option?  It has the reversible seat post, allowing one to ride a more slack or steep seat angle.

Thanks G!

Hi Ken,

1 - it certainly won't hurt - quite useful for all sports.

2 - I doubt it, that's not based on you, that's based on working with guys like you.  So you might end up with different results.  Freeing up your hips will make your more comfortable/economical in your existing position and will, likely, help your economy across all sports.

3 - it's a good bike but, for the money, you'll get more "speed" from buying a powertap so you can learn how you are training on your existing bike.

2009-07-07 8:42 PM
in reply to: #2266584

User image

Extreme Veteran
Boulder, CO
SSMinnow - 2009-07-07 5:52 AM Hi All

1. What is the longest B-R brick you recommend for your first time HIM'ers?  I don't have my notes with me from the webinar and I was having that debate last night.  Some go for long runs after a long bike, others say it is a way to set yourself up for an injury as a first timerl.

2. I have a friend (and no, it isn't me) who appears to be suffering from severe burn-out.  She did TTT and HHH 200K and is signed up for IM WI again this year.  She is quitting workouts mid stream or missing the goal, performing poorly at races and has an all around lackluster attitude, but keeps training.  I try to tell her to take some time off, but she tells me IM WI is around the corner.  Advice?

1 - For you, I recommend Swim/Bike/Run -- swim a little more than total distance then "brick" long enough so your total training (spread across the day) is at least as long as you will be racing.  The run on that day should be no longer than 45 minutes.  

I also like building your long ride to the shorter of: (a) your race duration; and (b) six hours.  Make this ride as continuous as possible and note HR/effort/pace/power by hour.  It will go a long way to helping you wrap your head around how "easy" your steady effort feels early in the day.

2 - Tough situation and happens a lot. Give her your best advice through example; offer emotional support and give honest feedback when she asks.  That tends to be how I play it.  The best lessons are the ones that we learn for ourselves.

2009-07-07 9:08 PM
in reply to: #2268865

User image

Champion
GordoByrn - 2009-07-07 8:42 PM
SSMinnow - 2009-07-07 5:52 AM Hi All

1 - For you, I recommend Swim/Bike/Run -- swim a little more than total distance then "brick" long enough so your total training (spread across the day) is at least as long as you will be racing.  The run on that day should be no longer than 45 minutes.  

I also like building your long ride to the shorter of: (a) your race duration; and (b) six hours.  Make this ride as continuous as possible and note HR/effort/pace/power by hour.  It will go a long way to helping you wrap your head around how "easy" your steady effort feels early in the day.

2 - Tough situation and happens a lot. Give her your best advice through example; offer emotional support and give honest feedback when she asks.  That tends to be how I play it.  The best lessons are the ones that we learn for ourselves.

Perfect, thanks.

I just got done reading about your commitment to training to a plan on TP.  It will be interesting to see how well it goes and how hard it is to stick to it.  There are times when I add a few more run or bike miles to my daily workout.  And there are other times I feel like I should be doing more and am tempted to add an extra bike or run to the day, but don't.  The good news is I can blow off that steam by swimming more which we both know I need.  Good luck.
2009-07-07 10:12 PM
in reply to: #2268853

User image

New user
GordoByrn - 2009-07-07 6:36 PM

Thanks G!

Hi Ken,

1 - it certainly won't hurt - quite useful for all sports.

2 - I doubt it, that's not based on you, that's based on working with guys like you.  So you might end up with different results.  Freeing up your hips will make your more comfortable/economical in your existing position and will, likely, help your economy across all sports.

3 - it's a good bike but, for the money, you'll get more "speed" from buying a powertap so you can learn how you are training on your existing bike.

Thanks Gordo, grateful as always for the input, a couple of follow ups if I may:

1.  How about a Cervelo with a Power Tap?  May be a possibility... the follow up to that would be, can I race with the Power Tap wheels?  Can a PT be useful to me without really having the assistance of a coach?

2.  When you say "guys like me," what are you referring to?  I am not in the least way offended, I am just curious if you are talking about my back issues, tight hammies, 6'1" frame???  And of course if there is any information you have put together on EC related to my 'guy type,' I would love to take a look at it. 

Excited that I just got 2 new books from Amazon -- Phil Maffetone's new edition of In Fitness and In Health; and Mark Allen's book Fit Soul, Fit Body.  That one may challenge some of my spiritual beliefs, but I am open to reading it and applying it to my life in a suitable way...

G, thanks again for the info.  I will be looking for a new bike, it's just time (not so much a definite move to tri geometry, my bike just has a lot of miles on it and it sure is heavy, time for carbon)... and will talk to my local tri shop about Powertaps as well...

ken
2009-07-07 11:46 PM

User image

New user
Regarding the virtual tri...
HEAT is the big issue here.  By the time the Y opens up, it is way too hot to swim, then bike and run.  Tomorrow morning when I head out on my bike ride at 6AM, it will already be mid 80s... other option might be separate days for each sport?

I may be able to play along if we open up like a 1 month window, as I am hopefully racing 8/15 in Show Low AZ.

2009-07-08 1:27 PM
in reply to: #2269173

User image

Champion
Ken in AZ - 2009-07-07 11:46 PM Regarding the virtual tri...
HEAT is the big issue here.  By the time the Y opens up, it is way too hot to swim, then bike and run.  Tomorrow morning when I head out on my bike ride at 6AM, it will already be mid 80s... other option might be separate days for each sport?

I may be able to play along if we open up like a 1 month window, as I am hopefully racing 8/15 in Show Low AZ.

The last time I did a virtual tri with a mentor group, we did the workouts whenever we could,but it was a set distance --400y/12m/5K. We were actually on teams which gave it a different twist. My team came in last .   I am doing a Sprint on Saturday that I could count, otherwise I will be doing the events one at a time. I have a plan and am sticking to it!

Suzy
2009-07-08 6:04 PM
in reply to: #2269073

User image

Extreme Veteran
Boulder, CO
Ken in AZ - 2009-07-07 9:12 PM
GordoByrn - 2009-07-07 6:36 PM

1.  How about a Cervelo with a Power Tap?  May be a possibility... the follow up to that would be, can I race with the Power Tap wheels?  Can a PT be useful to me without really having the assistance of a coach?

2.  When you say "guys like me," what are you referring to?  I am not in the least way offended, I am just curious if you are talking about my back issues, tight hammies, 6'1" frame???  And of course if there is any information you have put together on EC related to my 'guy type,' I would love to take a look at it. 

Excited that I just got 2 new books from Amazon -- Phil Maffetone's new edition of In Fitness and In Health; and Mark Allen's book Fit Soul, Fit Body.  That one may challenge some of my spiritual beliefs, but I am open to reading it and applying it to my life in a suitable way...

G, thanks again for the info.  I will be looking for a new bike, it's just time (not so much a definite move to tri geometry, my bike just has a lot of miles on it and it sure is heavy, time for carbon)... and will talk to my local tri shop about Powertaps as well...

ken

Hi Ken,

1 - the PT will help you understand what you are already doing -- all you need to do is research my public training log and you'll be able to see how to use it.  As well, plenty of free information on the web as well as my website.  PowerTap wheels will be far faster to the finish line than any race wheel (without power) the reason is that you will be able to better measure your output and see where you can save energy.

2 - yes, I was talking about men with your physiological structure and fitness.  Try riding an aggressive position for 90 minutes without leaving the aerobars (before you buy) and you'll quickly see what I mean.

Your best bet for saving weight is superior nutritional choices for the rider.  That's always been my approach.

2009-07-08 7:02 PM

User image

New user
Thanks G.  Great advice as always.

Your public training log -- is that through EC?
2009-07-09 1:14 PM
in reply to: #2271491

User image

Extreme Veteran
Boulder, CO
Ken in AZ - 2009-07-08 6:02 PM Thanks G.  Great advice as always.

Your public training log -- is that through EC?

www.trainingpeaks.com/gordo

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » GordoByrn's Group Full for the Spring Rss Feed  

of 27