BT Development Mentor Program Archives » kenj's group - closed with a great bunch of triathletes in training!!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 29

2010-03-26 1:28 PM
in reply to: #2578675

Subject: RE: kenj's group - closed with a great bunch of triathletes in training!!!
Two running questions:
1, When running down hill, is it more energy conserving to let yourself go and fly down the hill or better to hold back a bit?

2, I am rather tall (6'3")with fairly long inseam(34/35") but yet I have a short run stride. What would be the best way to lengthen my stride?

Still undecided about my Indoor Tri this Sunday,,, will decide tomorrow.

2010-03-26 2:45 PM
in reply to: #2751121

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
Subject: RE: kenj's group - closed with a great bunch of triathletes in training!!!

DougJ - 2010-03-26 2:28 PM Two running questions:
1, When running down hill, is it more energy conserving to let yourself go and fly down the hill or better to hold back a bit?

2, I am rather tall (6'3")with fairly long inseam(34/35") but yet I have a short run stride. What would be the best way to lengthen my stride?

Still undecided about my Indoor Tri this Sunday,,, will decide tomorrow.

I like to take advantage of the down hills, but beleive it or not, if you are not careful running downhill can cause some serious knee issues.  Usually caused by over striding and the additional pounding from the impact.  So to answer your question, take advantage of the hills but don' over do it by over striding.

As far as lengthening your stride, I am not a huge fan of messing with your natural gait, unless it is causing you recurring injuries.  Your foot, whether you are a heel or toe striker should land fairly centered under your body.  Doing some strides (accelerated pace) for 50 meters over time will lengthen your stride because you are running faster.  I would also suggest some high knee and butt kick drills to emphasize the full running movement.  But, unless you are doing the shuffle, miles and miles and more miles is the biggest tool for improving your run. 

One other comment, I find that if I have been spending too much time on the treadmill, I do tend to shrink my stride some.  Without thinking about it, it returns to normal after a couple of outside runs.  Which is why I try and get outside at least once every week if I can during the winter.

I hope you are able to do the inside tri!!!

2010-03-26 6:47 PM

I finally got a proper bike fitting today at our local bike shop.  A new saddle, stem and  handlebars and a bit more $$ than I had planned...should be good to go.  The new position feels a bit akward because it's new, but definitely more comfortable.  If weather holds, I'll give it a try tomorrow on the trail...can't wait!

2010-03-27 3:45 PM
in reply to: #2751680

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY

brm75 - 2010-03-26 7:47 PM

I finally got a proper bike fitting today at our local bike shop.  A new saddle, stem and  handlebars and a bit more $$ than I had planned...should be good to go.  The new position feels a bit akward because it's new, but definitely more comfortable.  If weather holds, I'll give it a try tomorrow on the trail...can't wait!

Good job getting the fitting done, was this on a road bike or a tri bike?  What seat did you wind up with? I need to replace mine and although it has been an ok seat, I was never in love with it.

2010-03-27 9:29 PM

User image

New user
I was just curious as to what cleats you all use?  I know some people use tri cleats vs road bike cleats.  Additionally are all the clips ins universal.  I was thinking I want to get a good pair that will last a while that I can also use at the gym for the spin classes there.

Thanks in advance. 
2010-03-28 3:15 AM

User image

Welllington, NZ
Hi All,

Well here's a small race report on the Scorching Triathlon Medium Distance (Sprint) Race. Wow! Overall i really enjoyed that! The swim was worse than expected, the wind was REALLY gusty but i was happy with my bike and run times given the conditions!

Swim distance was reduced due to safety reasons so not a true Sprint, but my timings were 1:18:57 - 500m Swim (inc T1) 10:44, 20k Bike (inc T2) 44:49 and 5k Run 23:34.

I got there at 0630 for a 0735 start. Racked my bike and set up my transition - i was there about 15 minutes before most of the others turned up so there were loads of spaces. Because it was windy and drizzly i left most of my gear inside my bag instead of laying it out. No probs there, spent the time wrapping up/trying to keep warm and met up & chatted with some people and just waited for the start.

The event organisers reduced the swim lengths (my 750m turned into a 500m) and the surf lifesaving club decided to bring the course closer to the beach - all because of the conditions. This meant i ended up doing 2 small laps including a mid run around a marker on the beach.

The start/swim was delayed by about 30 minutes as it was still dark when the Olympic distance were due to go (daylight savings/winter change was moved to a week later this year) so instead of starting at 0755 we ended up going around 0820 (and we were going 30 minutes after the Olympic entrants). Anyway, the swim was not very nice - i was expecting it but the kicking, shoving and general impatience of the swimmers was un-nerving. I just got on and did my thing but it meant giving up time and position in the water to the pushier swimmers. Also, there were quite big swells (i'd say around 1/2m which felt like heaps to me!) so this together with the swimmers meant there was no chance of getting into a rhythm! Anyway, 1st time out i didn't want to get into any difficulties, being 500m it wasn't going to last too long.

T1 was interesting. I took it nice and easy (a little too easy i think). I came out of the water in the top third and left near the end - doh! Will have to work on that! ;-) It was my own fault really as i really did take it too leisurely - kids were shouting at me from the sidelines to hurry up! Looking at my times, i reckon i got in around 6 or 7 mins and spent 3 or 4ish in transition. ;-)

I quite enjoyed the bike. The wind made it really hard at times and when turning into a sheltered bay it meant instant speed and it was nice to get speed going!. Throughout the ride i was passing others so felt i went well - was worried for a time though that i was over-doing it though!

T2 was not too bad although my hands were freezing and i had trouble doing up my laces - elastic laces in future it think! In fact if any of you guys are willing to order some xlaces for me (anyone here use them?) i'll happily pay you back including shipping of course - they don't ship to NZ.

The run was reasonable - again had to battle the wind a lot of the time but managed to get moving and keep moving. Went at my normal pace and sped up slightly near the end.

Did my common mistake of not going hard enough though - still had more in the tank at the end.  A bit disappointed with myself there as before the race i was said i wanted to try and push myself more! Overall though i really enjoyed it - sure it was shocking weather (the worst they've run all year apparently and its the last one) but there was a great friendly feeling to it and i will definitively be back for more!

Thanks guys for your support during the training. The season is finished here now but I won't be leaving you as i now step straight into a 12 week build up for the marathon at the end of June, with my focus shifting primarily to running. Good luck to you guys coming into your triathlon seasons!

Cheers,

Lewis.

2010-03-28 3:16 AM
in reply to: #2752545

User image

Welllington, NZ
kenj - 2010-03-28 10:45 AM What seat did you wind up with? I need to replace mine and although it has been an ok seat, I was never in love with it.

Ken,

Obviously i can't answer that question but i can't recommend the Fizik Arione enough. It was instant comfort for me when i swapped to it! Pricey, but well worth it. The other choice i had was a specialized saddle but i can't recall the name...

Lewis.

Edited by lbishop 2010-03-28 3:18 AM
2010-03-28 6:29 AM

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY

Great job Lewis!  Too bad about the weather, but unfortunately that is the one thing we cant control!  Your description of the swim sounds exciting!  Great pace for the bike and especially the run in those conditions!  Transitions are something that we all need to practice, but the key is to remember that it is rest time!

The pictures in your race report came out great!!

Thanks for sharing! Congratulations!

I am looking forward hearing about your marathon training and how that journey goes for you!  I am a fan of the longer races both in running and tri's!  Do you have a training plan you are going to use? 

Edited by kenj 2010-03-28 6:32 AM
2010-03-28 6:31 AM
in reply to: #2753113

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY

lbishop - 2010-03-28 4:16 AM
kenj - 2010-03-28 10:45 AM What seat did you wind up with? I need to replace mine and although it has been an ok seat, I was never in love with it.

Ken,

Obviously i can't answer that question but i can't recommend the Fizik Arione enough. It was instant comfort for me when i swapped to it! Pricey, but well worth it. The other choice i had was a specialized saddle but i can't recall the name...

Lewis.

I have heard good things about that saddle!  I am just finishing the first of at least 8 months of 500 miles plus, so I am more than willing to spend for comfort!! Thanks for the feed back!

2010-03-28 6:37 AM
in reply to: #2752966

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY

selonimes - 2010-03-27 10:29 PM I was just curious as to what cleats you all use?  I know some people use tri cleats vs road bike cleats.  Additionally are all the clips ins universal.  I was thinking I want to get a good pair that will last a while that I can also use at the gym for the spin classes there.

Thanks in advance. 

I use the Look Keo's.  They are probably the most common and they come in several levels (made with different materials).  The cleats and the pedals come as a set.  I don't know of any tri specific vs road specific bike cleats.  The cleats should last a while as long as you don't do a lot of walking around in your bike shoes, but you can replace just the cleats. 

I can't answer the question on spin class bikes, I haven't tried spinning yet!

2010-03-28 9:45 AM
in reply to: #2753141

User image

Regular
Kansas City, MO
I have a pair of low end Shimano's. Like Kenj said they come with the cleats and pedals in one set.  They work just fine for me.  I didn't see the need to spend big bucks on a bike I'll probably ditch in a few years god willing. 

2010-03-28 1:38 PM
in reply to: #2752545

Congrats Lewis!!  Great job! 

I use Speedplay cleats with Bontrager shoes.  It's the first and only pair I've owned so I can't really compare them to any others, but I really like them.

Kenj...I ended up getting a Sele Italia split saddle for my road bike.  My bike fitting was also on a road bike not a TT bike.

Edited by brm75 2010-03-28 1:48 PM
2010-03-28 3:53 PM

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY

I save the e-mails of my favorite workouts that BT sends me.  I dug this little gem up today to get some hill work!  Give it a try if your up to the distance, or abreviate it if you aren't quite there yet!  You wont get bored!

TREADMILL:
1 - Start well below LT and gradually build speed over 1 mile to slightly under LT (grade 1%).
2 - Next mile stay at same pace and grade.
3 - Next 2 miles, maintain speed:
- 2/10 mile @ 5%
- 2/10 mile @ flat
- 2/10 mile @ 4%
- 2/10 mile @ flat, etc
- on down to 2/10 mile @ 1% & 2/10 mile @ flat. 4 - Next mile, decrease speed by .5 mph and alternate between 3% and flat by 1/10 mile.
5 - Last mile gradually decrease speed on flat.

*Concentrate on turnover - when it gets tough due to increased grade, faster turnover, not longer strides.

2010-03-28 9:40 PM

User image

Way to finish, Lewis! Good job!! Your description of the swim made me shudder. Glad you kicked it on the bike and run and that you finished with a positive feeling. I have a pair of Yankz elastic shoe laces that I've never used so I'll be happy to send them to you. PM me your address if you want them. Transitions are the 4th discipline in triathlons that a lot of folks overlook. Doing a few things different can save minutes off your time. A simple thing like shoe laces can make a big difference, as you found out. But that's another neat thing about triathlons - you're always learning something new with each one you do. I'm glad you want to continue doing them. Good luck with your marathon training!

Doug?....Doug?....did you do your indoor one today?

May you all have a great week!

2010-03-28 11:48 PM
in reply to: #2754228

Doug?....Doug?....did you do your indoor one today? May you all have a great week!

Nope didn't make it, couldn't really justify the almost 2 hr trip each way for a 50 minute event.
So instead I did a 7.25 mile run and a 2000 yd swim today.
Thanks for asking though.
2010-03-29 5:13 AM

User image

Travel time is always something to consider, Doug. Way to fit in a nice brick workout, though.

The pump at my Y pool broke last week so they had to drain the water and are hoping to get it fixed this week. Ugh. Some things you just can't control when you set your plan for training. I'm on the bike and running this week. The weather is supposed to be in the 70s so I'm not gonna complain.

Did my first competitve 5K on Saturday and set a PR. It was a beautiful, crisp morning and there were about 700 folks running and walking. Came in first in the old ladies age group. Woot woot!!

2010-03-29 6:53 AM
in reply to: #2754409

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY

bswcpa - 2010-03-29 6:13 AM Travel time is always something to consider, Doug. Way to fit in a nice brick workout, though. The pump at my Y pool broke last week so they had to drain the water and are hoping to get it fixed this week. Ugh. Some things you just can't control when you set your plan for training. I'm on the bike and running this week. The weather is supposed to be in the 70s so I'm not gonna complain. Did my first competitve 5K on Saturday and set a PR. It was a beautiful, crisp morning and there were about 700 folks running and walking. Came in first in the old ladies age group. Woot woot!!

Congratulations on the PR and first in age group! Your hard work is paying off!  I am sure it was the middle aged ladies group!

2010-03-29 7:00 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Normal, Ill.

Great job Brenda!  That is awesome!  Wish I could run!  Getting better though.
2010-03-29 3:54 PM

User image

Welllington, NZ
Brenda - well done on the PR!

Doug - shame about your event but yeah, travelling to/from the event has to be considered! Well done on getting a different workout in though!

Lewis.
2010-03-29 9:44 PM

User image

Regular
Kansas City, MO
Hey everyone,

Long time no write. Just been busy around here.  Last week finished up with some good training, knocked a step-up run out of the park on Thursday, much to the excitement of my coach.  

Friday, nice swim.

Saturday,  I went for a  2.5 hr ride.  I spent a lot of it in the drops and paid for it on Sunday and Monday, when my back was absolutely killing me.  I didn't do my longrun on Sunday nor my swim today to rest it up.

Do any of you ride with a roadie and if you do, do you do it on the hoods or in the drops?  I'm getting aero bars once the govt spits me out my refund check, but I'm stuck with what I've got for now. 
2010-03-29 9:48 PM

User image

What the tarnation is a "roadie" ?!?

2010-03-30 3:35 AM
in reply to: #2756887

User image

Welllington, NZ
ryanknapp - 2010-03-30 4:44 PM Do any of you ride with a roadie and if you do, do you do it on the hoods or in the drops?  I'm getting aero bars once the govt spits me out my refund check, but I'm stuck with what I've got for now. 

I'm guessing a roadie is a road bike rather than tri bike?

Yea, i spend some time (not a great deal to be honest) in the drops but only after a fair bit of training for it. First century i did, my back was really sore afterwards and i spent about 6 months doing back specific exercise routines in preparation for the next years event. I also made sure (starting slowly) i spent slightly more time in the drops each ride to get used to it. The next years event after this, everything was sweet - not one little twinge!

It could be a sizing or flexibility issue? Do you/can you raise the handlebar up slightly so the drop is not so pronounced? Have you had a bike fit done? Are you flexible?

So yea, no help to you right now, but i'd say you do need to prepare/train yourself slowly and get used to the lower position before using it for any length of time! Remember you'll also need to do this with aero bars too.

IIRC with a back issue it's best to keep moving rather than staying still - but no effort on it though! Hope it clears up quickly for you bud!

Lewis.
2010-03-30 4:13 AM
in reply to: #2756887

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY

ryanknapp - 2010-03-29 10:44 PM Hey everyone,

Long time no write. Just been busy around here.  Last week finished up with some good training, knocked a step-up run out of the park on Thursday, much to the excitement of my coach.  

Friday, nice swim.

Saturday,  I went for a  2.5 hr ride.  I spent a lot of it in the drops and paid for it on Sunday and Monday, when my back was absolutely killing me.  I didn't do my longrun on Sunday nor my swim today to rest it up.

Do any of you ride with a roadie and if you do, do you do it on the hoods or in the drops?  I'm getting aero bars once the govt spits me out my refund check, but I'm stuck with what I've got for now. 

My first bike (since I was a kid) is a roadie.  I put aero bars on it for my first season of tri's.  It does take some getting used to and if you have a chance to get some help getting it properly fitted, your back will thank you!  I can't recall the name of the bike shop in Buffalo that has a great reputation for fitting, but if you want it I have a friend that got fitted there!

Nice work Ryan!

2010-03-30 4:16 AM

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY

In this case, I believe Ryan is referring to his bike being a road bike rather than a tri specific bike.  But the term roadie can also be used to describe folks that only race or ride bikes. 

2010-03-30 7:20 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Normal, Ill.

Road bikes with add-on aero bars are the way to go for people who can only afford or want one bike.   For one, you do not ride time trial bikes in group rides.  Your hands are too far away form the brakes when you are aero.  Don't do it.  Asking for trouble.  There are also time trial route when aero doesn't help much - hilly ones to be sure.  So there is absolutely nothing wrong with riding a road bike and adding aero bars.   If you need to save money, buy a good bike with am aluminum frame and carbon forks.  Cheaper and the carbon absorbs a lot of the road vibration that aluminum is known for.  Get entry level components.  105 Shimano or Rival SRAM.  Both are good.  I have Rival with some Red mixed in on the TT bike at the moment.  Adding more Red as I go, but the Rivals are perfectly fine.  Never a problem.  In bikes, you pay more for less - less weight, that is.  But that is the main difference.  Tuned properly, the gearing works pretty much the same.  There is little to no performance difference between Shimano Ultegra and Dura Ace and loads of price difference.  So you can have a great bike for less money if you shop. 

When you do get a bike, new or used (I am a huge proponent of used and building up your own bike.  Savings of 50% or more possible. Remember, a new bike is used the first time you ride it ) make certain it fits.  Invest in a proper bike fitting.  Find out what size frame you need, your crank length, your seat height, and distance back from the bars and hoods.  Bike fits are critical for best results.  Once you get those numbers, you can repeat them.  I just got my titanium done last night after a winter in the basement.  My expert friend had it on track in 15 minutes.  I was adjusting things the wrong way and getting farther and farther from optimum.  Back killed me after 35 miles on two separate rides.

As you ride a road bike, make sure you are changing hand position every so often, hoods, drops, top of the bars near the stem.  Stretch your back, stand and pedal, scoot forward and back in the saddle.  Turn your head from side to side. Give your body a break.   If you try to stay in the same position hour after hour, something will hurt.

You guys are really helping me on the running.  Hope I can do some good for you on the bikes.

BTW, 5K = 27:32 last night.  That is really good for me.  PR, though it was just practice.  I'm in the running club's program for moderate runners again.  I asked to be in a faster group and it is paying off, though hard on this 58 year old. The results are great.

IceMan.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » kenj's group - closed with a great bunch of triathletes in training!!! Rss Feed  

of 29