BT Development Mentor Program Archives » brick94513-GoGoGo Mentor Group - Closed For Now! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 108

2010-04-22 7:10 AM
in reply to: #2809117

User image

Extreme Veteran
Naperville, IL
Subject: RE: brick94513-GoGoGo Mentor Group - Closed For Now!
GoGoGo - 2010-04-22 4:37 AM QOTD:  Looks like many of you are experienced, but if not, here goes...

Do you use a quick lace system for your running shoes?  If so, which?  Lock Laces, YankZ?

I think these are great.  My running shoes always get these, right out of the box.   

Have a good day fellas & lady. 

Just normal shoe laces for me; but, now that you mention it, maybe I should....  Back to that too many new toys thing.

2010-04-22 8:26 AM
in reply to: #2808938

User image

Master
Brentwood, CA
croixfan - 2010-04-21 7:46 PM Guys,

Appreciate the posts and info.  Don't feel like I'm adding a whole lot as I'm only about a month in and just learning / building the basics.  However, am learning a ton from the discussions and observing.

Biggest help to me is knowing that you're checking up on me / providing feedback and guidance.  Provides a bit of extra motivation to get to the gym and make sure the log is up to date on training/nutrition.

On the negative side, all the talk of HRMs, MTBs, and other toys is likely to cause a drain on the wallet!!!

That's the point.  As a conversation develops and you don't understand something  ask away, we all train differently, live in different environments, have different goals, and are training for different races.
2010-04-22 8:30 AM
in reply to: #2808634

User image

Master
Brentwood, CA
Subject: RE: Some Guidance Please....
shmeeg - 2010-04-21 5:08 PM
brick94513 - 2010-04-21 4:49 PM 
  If you have a bike trainer, get it out, and conduct the test I posted.

im gonna give this a shot tonight.  seeing as how ive never really cycled, only monitored HR during spin class, do i just try to go balls out at what i think is a 30 min pace?  is there a mpg or cadence range that might benefit me to stay in to make it the whole ride?  i dont wanna blow up 1/2 way through :D

Sorry, I'm a little behind here.  We had phone line problems at work last night.

Setting a pace for a steady-state all out exertion is hard.  I try to keep my cadence between 92-95, which is a little high for me.  But, if you don't keep it a little high with slightly lighter existance, it is really hard to make the half hour.  As a guide, you should be around an RPE of 7.  The is where your ventilatory threshold can be approximated.  You know you've reach this point when you really don't want to talk or, when talking, it's in couple word sentences.

When doing the test, have a fan, towel, and water available.  Its tough!
2010-04-22 8:34 AM

User image

Master
Brentwood, CA
GoGoGo - 2010-04-22 2:37 AM QOTD:  Looks like many of you are experienced, but if not, here goes...

Do you use a quick lace system for your running shoes?  If so, which?  Lock Laces, YankZ?

I think these are great.  My running shoes always get these, right out of the box.   

Yankz.
2010-04-22 8:36 AM
in reply to: #2809478

User image

Elite
Romeoville, Il
brick94513 - 2010-04-22 8:30 AM

im gonna give this a shot tonight.  seeing as how ive never really cycled, only monitored HR during spin class, do i just try to go balls out at what i think is a 30 min pace?  is there a mpg or cadence range that might benefit me to stay in to make it the whole ride?  i dont wanna blow up 1/2 way through :D

Sorry, I'm a little behind here.  We had phone line problems at work last night.

Setting a pace for a steady-state all out exertion is hard.  I try to keep my cadence between 92-95, which is a little high for me.  But, if you don't keep it a little high with slightly lighter existance, it is really hard to make the half hour.  As a guide, you should be around an RPE of 7.  The is where your ventilatory threshold can be approximated.  You know you've reach this point when you really don't want to talk or, when talking, it's in couple word sentences.

I don't have a trainer but I did go to 16 weeks of computrainer classes over the winter.  Going back to my HR data in some of my FTP tests I can estimate my lactate threshold at about 163.  But, as was said before, there are probably some variables here.  I can look back at other HR data I have and estimate 168ish.  Where would one go to get a lab test on this?
2010-04-22 8:43 AM
in reply to: #2809500

User image

Master
Brentwood, CA

Edited by brick94513 2010-04-22 8:48 AM

2010-04-22 8:47 AM
in reply to: #2809524

User image

Master
Brentwood, CA
brick94513 - 2010-04-22 6:43 AM
Meulen - 2010-04-22 6:36 AM
brick94513 - 2010-04-22 8:30 AM

I don't have a trainer but I did go to 16 weeks of computrainer classes over the winter.  Going back to my HR data in some of my FTP tests I can estimate my lactate threshold at about 163.  But, as was said before, there are probably some variables here.  I can look back at other HR data I have and estimate 168ish.  Where would one go to get a lab test on this?

163-168 seems about right.  In a clinical setting, you have to search for a facility that does VO2 max testing for cyclists.  You would want the VO2 max and LT blood test done.

I'm going to be doing the test at UC Davis.  With all this interest, I'm going to try and schedule it sooner so I get some photos and information across to everyone.  I'll be doing it for running, but the test is obviouosly similar as far as procedure.
2010-04-22 8:52 AM
in reply to: #2808607

User image

Elite
Romeoville, Il
brick94513 - 2010-04-21 6:49 PM

1.  I thought that the reason we add speed work in our training is that it actually improves our lactate threshold.  Maybe it doesn't need to go quite to max HR.  However, elite athletes seem to have an uncanny ability to sprint to max hr and recover quickly.  I have been told that they train this by doing hills and sprints.  I got to train with Robbie Ventura this winter.  He told me that, while most triathletes don't, he thought speed work and hills (strength training on the bike) once a week is highly beneficially to overall speed.

In my opinion, you need to drop the concept of max HR.  I don't know my max HR and I don't want to know.  I know roughly where my LTHR reside and thats the number I care about.  LTHR is mostly determined by genetics, but can be improved through a combination of steady-state riding, speedwork, and hill work.  However, my point is that by riding below your LTHR, you develop base and gentle build.  As you build, you will become faster at a slower HR.  This takes years!  Similar to running, there are speedwork and hill drills, but you don't take these on during every ride.  These drills are intended for short duration and longer recovery before repeat.  I challenge you to sprint anaerobically for more than 5-10 minutes.

2.  You and I also race MTB's which I believe training above your lactate threashold is highly beneficial for tackling hill climbs and overtaking opponents trying to drop you.

Yes!  But these are "bursts."  I'm not going to head into a 5-10 mile hill climb anaerobic.  This is a recipe for disaster.  I'm going to settle in a few beats under my LTHR for the long haul.

Is you're opinion that I shouldn't be worrying about training this as much as I am?

No.  I think it is highly beneficial to know how to train via HR.  But, in my opinion, you need to know your LTHR before any of the numbers make sense.  If you have a bike trainer, get it out, and conduct the test I posted.

Once you have the number, then you know your base.  From here, you can monitor your training and assess progression.  But be forewarned, it takes years of riding, running, or swimming to influence your LTHR, VT threshold, and VO2 max.

Also, comparing your LTHR to anyone is meaningless.  There are to many variables.

I don't mean to confrontational LOL

Don't even worry about that.  This is a good conversation.  This my my perspective and how I train, so take it for what it's worth.

Thanks Brick!!

Actually, my training at Robbie Ventura's facility this winter backs you up on this.  One of his trainers told me to ignore it as well.  I've been trying to lean on my MTB buddies about their hang up on MAX HR because of it.  They've probably been training and bragging about each others Max HR's for years and are not open to the change.  Even though they said this I did notice the similarities Robbies HR acts to my MTB friends.  When we did speed work it seemed almost effortless for him to go from 120 to 190+.  Literally, a couple minutes of sprinting.  I get confused by this since when I put the hammer down my HR crawls up and I was worried I'm mentally talking myself out of max effort.

I guess my real question is will this change as I progress in my training?  Or maybe am I some sort of anomoly?
2010-04-22 9:04 AM
in reply to: #2808636

User image

Elite
Romeoville, Il
GoGoGo - 2010-04-21 7:08 PM
I'm with Tim, I am not patient enough to wait.

When choosing a Tri-Bike (or road bike), there are several thing to consider.

Usually you can get an excellent bike for around $3000.  The benefits increase rapidly from $1000-3000.  From there, the benefits increase marginally.  You save 150g (1/3 bottle of water!), etc.  Race wheels are usually included, which is a cookie cutter approach.  We all have different weights, windiness of city, etc. & it is nice to choose your wheel, if that is important to you

Some other points to consider...

P4 is an expensive bike...if you want nothing but the best, you may not want to budge.  If your wallet says you to afford it, you could wait or consider another brand such as Felt, Cannondale, Specialized or Trek.  The all have high end bikes.  Look at the Shiv by Specialized, for example!

Otherwise you could come down a little, eg P3 & as you said consider race wheels.  Still very fast & light bike.

You won't go wrong either way!

I bet you could easily sell P3 next year if you needed to & roll it into a P4

JMHO 

Thanks for the advice.  Actually, a lot of research and time went into my decision to get a P3.  I wanted the P4 but who doesn't LOL.  I just wasn't sure it was something I needed and was willing to spend the money on.  Neither bike I'd be taking a loan out on or anything, but my wife was trying to be nice and surprise me with the P4.  So you're right, either bike would be fine.  I just need to decide whether I want to wait for what I want or just get something now.

I still have no idea!  LOL
2010-04-22 9:06 AM

User image

Elite
Romeoville, Il
GoGoGo - 2010-04-22 4:37 AM QOTD:  Looks like many of you are experienced, but if not, here goes...

I tried these for the first time a couple months ago with a new pair of running shoes.  I do like them, but I'm not sure I got the use of them or the tension on the dialed in yet.  Still learning.
2010-04-22 9:28 AM

User image

Expert
GoGoGo - 2010-04-22 2:37 AM QOTD:  Looks like many of you are experienced, but if not, here goes...

I have a simple plastic lock type deal on my laces, I actually stole them off my kid's lunch boxes...  They are just the little black spring loaded clips that teh lace slides through, then it holds the lace tight.  I'm just using the normal laces, not elastic, so I still have to loosen it to get my foot in so it's not super quick, but I guess better than having to tie a knot with cold wet hands in T1.

I want to pick up a set of the Xtenex laces, they look pretty cool.

2010-04-22 9:34 AM
in reply to: #2808442

User image

Expert
shmeeg - 2010-04-21 2:58 PM
norcal_SAHD - 2010-04-21 2:09 PM I just got back from the pool  I did my first ever 1000yd TT today!  My arms feel like jello, and my calves were starting to cramp in the last 100 yards...  Anyway, I finished in 17:58 (comes out to 1:48/100), which is way faster than I was expecting.  It's all working!  Only breathed on the left during the test, but I did breathe bilaterally during the warm up and cool down.  Still not so good at that...

I'm not exactly sure what I do with this new information other than try to beat it in a month or so, but it was fun. Tongue out

David...or Dave, which do you prefer?

anywho, nice work!  i WISH i could swim even 1/2 that far w/o stopping.  keep it up! 

Call me David I guess, I don't really care though.  Hey, I jumped in the pool last June and barely made it 100 yards...  Now I can go forever!  slowly...  Yesterday's 1000tt was a first, I've never swam that hard for that long.  I've swam further than that before, but never at that effort level.  That was quite a bit faster than I would attempt in a race, I was fully kicking and trying to finish up with no strength left.  I really focussed on keeping my cadence up as high as I could without my stroke falling apart, the last 100 was ROUGH!
2010-04-22 10:17 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Silicon Valley

Yankz. I actually need a new set because the material that covers the elastic is frayed after years of use. I think they are $6 so one of the least expensive tri toys out there. I practiced transitions last weekend and they make a HUGE difference in T2.
2010-04-22 10:20 AM
in reply to: #2809716

User image

Extreme Veteran
Silicon Valley
norcal_SAHD - 2010-04-22 9:34 AM
shmeeg - 2010-04-21 2:58 PM
norcal_SAHD - 2010-04-21 2:09 PM I just got back from the pool  I did my first ever 1000yd TT today!  My arms feel like jello, and my calves were starting to cramp in the last 100 yards...  Anyway, I finished in 17:58 (comes out to 1:48/100), which is way faster than I was expecting.  It's all working!  Only breathed on the left during the test, but I did breathe bilaterally during the warm up and cool down.  Still not so good at that...

I'm not exactly sure what I do with this new information other than try to beat it in a month or so, but it was fun. Tongue out

David...or Dave, which do you prefer?

anywho, nice work!  i WISH i could swim even 1/2 that far w/o stopping.  keep it up! 

Call me David I guess, I don't really care though.  Hey, I jumped in the pool last June and barely made it 100 yards...  Now I can go forever!  slowly...  Yesterday's 1000tt was a first, I've never swam that hard for that long.  I've swam further than that before, but never at that effort level.  That was quite a bit faster than I would attempt in a race, I was fully kicking and trying to finish up with no strength left.  I really focussed on keeping my cadence up as high as I could without my stroke falling apart, the last 100 was ROUGH!

This reminds me...I've read that it's smart to save your legs on the swim. Luckily, I rarely kick to begin with unless I'm sprinting. Usually this "front quadrant" swimming advice says to kick in the last part of your swim to get some blood into your legs before exiting the water. I've never given it that much thought in a race. Had anyone tried using this technique?
2010-04-22 10:23 AM

User image

Expert
Kansas City, Missouri

i grabbed a pair of zoot shoes to wear recently.  i like em, the built in lace locks work good.  i was lookin at yankz last weekend to throw in some of my other shoes too.
2010-04-22 11:44 AM
in reply to: #2809915

User image

Extreme Veteran
Silicon Valley
shmeeg - 2010-04-22 10:23 AM

i grabbed a pair of zoot shoes to wear recently.  i like em, the built in lace locks work good.  i was lookin at yankz last weekend to throw in some of my other shoes too.

Ahhh, zoot shoes! I'm tempted to go sockless on the run which I think would require a specialized shoe like zoots, but I'm nervous that I'd still get blisters and putting on socks just doesn't take that much time if you roll them up.

How have they worked for you?

2010-04-22 1:24 PM
in reply to: #2770949

User image

Regular

QOTD- I have heard of Yankz more than once but have never seen then in any store I have been in.  I need to Try Texas Running this weekend and see if they have them and try them out.   I plan to get a bike ride in this afternoon Not sure if I'll take the 4x4 or the Street rod out yet.

Edited by SAWFISH50 2010-04-22 1:43 PM
2010-04-22 2:02 PM

User image

Elite
Romeoville, Il
I planned on riding tonight but it's supposed to be in the 40's tonight.  Being I didn't feel that good yesterday and not exactly 100% today I think I'll pass.  I'll try to do some weight training and maybe a swim tonight.
2010-04-22 2:08 PM
in reply to: #2810585

User image

Extreme Veteran
Silicon Valley

Last night I was able to squeeze in 45 minutes on the trainer after dinner while my gf watched her new favorite show "Parenthood".

I'm swimming tonight for the first time in the last three weeks. The pool has been shut down for a new filtration system. My Wildflower Oly is in 10 days and I've been slacking!

2010-04-22 2:23 PM
in reply to: #2810601

User image

Regular
dhopman - 2010-04-22 2:08 PM

Last night I was able to squeeze in 45 minutes on the trainer after dinner while my gf watched her new favorite show "Parenthood".

I'm swimming tonight for the first time in the last three weeks. The pool has been shut down for a new filtration system. My Wildflower Oly is in 10 days and I've been slacking!

Good luck on your race.. Its not slacking its tapering  right Undecided
2010-04-22 2:24 PM
in reply to: #2810585

User image

Regular
Meulen - 2010-04-22 2:02 PM I planned on riding tonight but it's supposed to be in the 40's tonight.  Being I didn't feel that good yesterday and not exactly 100% today I think I'll pass.  I'll try to do some weight training and maybe a swim tonight.

Dont feel bad even if I feel 100% I won't ride outside unless it is firmly in the upper 60's... Call me a wimp..LOL!!

Edited by SAWFISH50 2010-04-22 2:26 PM

2010-04-22 2:45 PM

User image

Expert
Canada
Well, I finally got back to the pool today.  half hour before work.  I do not take to water well, but continue to try & improve.  Gonna try & go 3 mornings a week for a bit.

Ran another 10k this afternoon.  Feeling groovy.  

Working this weekend, so workouts are sporadic.  Hopefully, will not pay to much havoc to my training schedule.

R

Edited by GoGoGo 2010-04-22 4:33 PM
2010-04-22 2:46 PM

User image

Expert
Canada
Some bike porn.   Apologise for the dark pic, but at least it's not raining...

My hybrid, commuter bike, a Specialized Sirrus sport, with road tires.

(IMG_3237.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
IMG_3237.jpg (96KB - 7 downloads)
2010-04-22 2:54 PM
in reply to: #2810644

User image

Extreme Veteran
Glendora, CA
SAWFISH50 - 2010-04-22 12:24 PM

Meulen - 2010-04-22 2:02 PM I planned on riding tonight but it's supposed to be in the 40's tonight.  Being I didn't feel that good yesterday and not exactly 100% today I think I'll pass.  I'll try to do some weight training and maybe a swim tonight.

Dont feel bad even if I feel 100% I won't ride outside unless it is firmly in the upper 60's... Call me a wimp..LOL!!

living so cal i used to be a huge weather wimp. this winter i have run in the high 20's on some mornings with only shorts a long sleeve and gloves. and loved it.
2010-04-22 3:01 PM

User image

Expert
Canada
Here is my Roadie, I purchased last summer...much faster & lighter than Hybrid

(IMG_3240_2.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
IMG_3240_2.jpg (84KB - 5 downloads)
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » brick94513-GoGoGo Mentor Group - Closed For Now! Rss Feed  

of 108