Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 103

2010-05-18 7:59 AM
in reply to: #2776397

User image

Expert
South Jersey
Subject: RE: chichitao's group - FULL!
Oh and I think you are a rockstar for racing three weekends in a row!!

2010-05-18 8:15 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Montreal, QC
Also, just think...  It'll be super easy for you to get a PB on your next race  Smile
2010-05-18 10:10 AM
in reply to: #2865145

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maple Ridge
Mrschach - 2010-05-18 5:58 AM
corstan - 2010-05-17 6:38 PM I got in to see my MT today, and he is confident, that I should be fully recovered in a couple of weeks.  He believes I may only have a small tear, which is causing the swelling, but that most of the problem is that everything in my right calf has seized and my left wasn't far behind.  It is still very tender, but definately better than before I went in.  He says I may go out this weekend for a short 20 minute bike or run to keep my muscles firing.

Also he said that considering my racing 3 weekends in a row the rest of my leg muscles were in pretty good shape

That is great you already saw the doctor and he does not think it is too serious.  How are you feeling today?

It was painful getting out of bed this morning and it still looks/feels like a giant goose egg on the inside of my calf, but once I got moving a bit, I'm almost walking without the grimace and limp.  Which is already better than yesterday, so I'll take it.  I even took the dog out this morning for a short walk, he was very happy about that, since I'm the only one able to walk him, he's been suffering without his walks and just getting the use of the backyard.
2010-05-19 7:59 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Montreal, QC
Happy Hump Day, everyone!  Have a great Wednesday!

I'm sorry I haven't been posting my workouts up here in a while.  I swear I've been doing them!  I went for a 1500m swim last night.  Let me tell you, after 22 years of swimming, it is HARD to change one's form!  It's also very tiring to go so slow and really focus on what you're doing.  I find that I can focus on one thing at a time (kicking, really extending my body, doing a good bent arm pull), but when I try to put together a couple of them at a time, I can't do it.  I will have to keep working at it, and really focus on one before moving on to another.

Hope everyone is having a good week! 
2010-05-19 8:08 AM
in reply to: #2867662

User image

Expert
South Jersey
LockOut - 2010-05-19 7:59 AM Happy Hump Day, everyone!  Have a great Wednesday!

I'm sorry I haven't been posting my workouts up here in a while.  I swear I've been doing them!  I went for a 1500m swim last night.  Let me tell you, after 22 years of swimming, it is HARD to change one's form!  It's also very tiring to go so slow and really focus on what you're doing.  I find that I can focus on one thing at a time (kicking, really extending my body, doing a good bent arm pull), but when I try to put together a couple of them at a time, I can't do it.  I will have to keep working at it, and really focus on one before moving on to another.

I give you a lot of credit for changing your form!  If someone told me to try and change my form, I would not listen to them.  There is no way it would work for me.  I have been swimming for so long.  I remember a coach trying to change my butterfly form when I was 13 or 14.  I tried and just could not do it.  My whole form went in the crapper when I tried.  He finally told me to just go back to what I was doing because it worked for me.
2010-05-19 8:09 AM

User image

Expert
South Jersey
And I can't stress enough how much posting my workouts has helped me!  I saw huge improvements in my workouts once I started posting them and seeing the log.

2010-05-19 8:36 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Montreal, QC
Oh, I completely agree that logging workouts is imperative!  I have a personal log book that I keep for myself.  I actually considered buying 4 or 5 of them at a time, since I am going to continue doing this for years to come, but I know that I would just lose them before I got through the 6 months of the first one!  :P

I just haven't been very good at actually putting them up here.  I will definitely start, though, once I get into my official training schedule, starting on the 31st of May!  I'll be on here on a daily basis!    Thanks for all the support thus far! 
2010-05-19 8:39 AM
in reply to: #2867771

User image

Expert
South Jersey
LockOut - 2010-05-19 8:36 AM Oh, I completely agree that logging workouts is imperative!  I have a personal log book that I keep for myself.  I actually considered buying 4 or 5 of them at a time, since I am going to continue doing this for years to come, but I know that I would just lose them before I got through the 6 months of the first one!  :P

I just haven't been very good at actually putting them up here.  I will definitely start, though, once I get into my official training schedule, starting on the 31st of May!  I'll be on here on a daily basis!    Thanks for all the support thus far! 

My mom got me a running log book and I am terrible at using that!  I have tried to do both and it just was not happening!

User image

Expert
South Jersey
LockOut - 2010-05-19 8:36 AM Oh, I completely agree that logging workouts is imperative!  I have a personal log book that I keep for myself.  I actually considered buying 4 or 5 of them at a time, since I am going to continue doing this for years to come, but I know that I would just lose them before I got through the 6 months of the first one!  :P

My mom got me a running log book and I am terrible at using that!  I have tried to do both and it just was not happening! 

User image

Expert
South Jersey

My mom got me a running log book and I am terrible at using that!  I have tried to do both and it just was not happening!  I

User image

Expert
South Jersey

Edited by Mrschach 2010-05-19 8:40 AM

User image

Expert
South Jersey

My mom got me a running log book and I am terrible at using that!  I have tried to do both and it just was not happening!  I think I like seeing all the peach squares on the month!

Edited by Mrschach 2010-05-19 8:39 AM
2010-05-19 8:46 AM
in reply to: #2867662

User image

Expert
Austin, TX
I guess that is one good thing about being a newby swimmer.  Before 3.5yrs ago I had never swam a real freestyle in my life, so I could focus on form without really having any muscle memory ingrained into me.  I would still like to find a coach though and just have my form/stroke critiqued a bit b/c I am sure there are areas I could improve on as well.  I have a hard time justifying the expense right now though and a lot of the coaches/training centers I have contacted already have a full client list and just don't have the time.  Oh well, maybe something to work on over the winter.

I commend you for being willing to change and trying to make it happen. 

I agree with Meggan, even if you don't have time to enter a lot of details into your log...at least try to get in and put the basics in without any comments.  Trust me, a couple of years from now you will want to look back and see how far you've come.

LockOut - 2010-05-19 7:59 AM Happy Hump Day, everyone!  Have a great Wednesday!

2010-05-19 8:46 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Montreal, QC
I have learned over the past year and a half that you gotta do whatever motivates you!  I definitely find that being accountable to others (like through here) is a great motivation tool!  If it's that colour you're going for, I have absolutely no problem with that at all

Tim, I definitely agree.  I am by no means saying that I don't find it to not be motivating to put stuff on here, but I am the kind of guy that really needs a hard copy to look back on as opposed to a soft copy.  I just find that is more motivating, and easier to use.  Again, though, it's all personal preference! 

Edited by LockOut 2010-05-19 8:49 AM
2010-05-19 8:54 AM

User image

Expert
Austin, TX
So how is everyone doing?

I am still not able to work out.  I've been doing a lot of taking it easy and not eating as well as I should, but I am hoping to kinda "get it out of my system" if that makes sense.  I tend to do this and go completely off the wagon for a short time, but it helps refresh me and get my mind/body back on target.  I am not fully refreshed yet, but I have started to get the itch again.  My goal is to start back up on Sun.  I am even thinking about doing another Olympic this year, but that decision is a long way off. 

I've got an allergy doctor appt this afternoon to see what I am allergic too.  This spring has been real bad for pollen and something in the air is killing me.  Kind of annoying when you go run/ride/swim and spend the rest of the day sneezing your head off!  Can't get much work done that way.

Hope everyone enjoys their Wed!
2010-05-19 8:56 AM

User image

Expert
Austin, TX
One post is enough there Meggan, we get your point!  

Kidding, I don't know why it does that sometimes.

2010-05-19 9:00 AM
in reply to: #2867845

User image

Expert
South Jersey
chichitao - 2010-05-19 8:54 AM So how is everyone doing?

I am still not able to work out.  I've been doing a lot of taking it easy and not eating as well as I should, but I am hoping to kinda "get it out of my system" if that makes sense.  I tend to do this and go completely off the wagon for a short time, but it helps refresh me and get my mind/body back on target.  I am not fully refreshed yet, but I have started to get the itch again.  My goal is to start back up on Sun.  I am even thinking about doing another Olympic this year, but that decision is a long way off. 

I've got an allergy doctor appt this afternoon to see what I am allergic too.  This spring has been real bad for pollen and something in the air is killing me.  Kind of annoying when you go run/ride/swim and spend the rest of the day sneezing your head off!  Can't get much work done that way.

Hope everyone enjoys their Wed!

Hope the allergist can help you out!  Allergies are really bad around here this season.  Joe is an absolute mess.  I can only imagine how much worse he would be right now if we still had the dogs.  We saw a huge improvement once they left but we are still dealing with seasonal allergies for him.  I feel bad giving him daily medicine but it is helping him. 

Hope you are able to start back up on Sunday!  I know what you mean about taking it easy for a week.  I decided to plan an easy week the last week of June.  It is the week right before I start a marathon plan and we will be at the shore for vacation.  I still plan on getting some runs in that week but I am not going to set a weekly goal.  I can't wait for that week! 
2010-05-19 9:15 AM

User image

Expert
Portland, OR
Yay!  The Two Day Migraine is finally gone!  I don't think it helps that I've been dogsitting our friend's dog, and he is a MONSTER, so even when I'm feeling good enough to workout, it has to be on his schedule.  I will never complain about our dog EVER AGAIN, because this other dog is such a terror.

Tim - Have you tried any over-the-counter medication?  My allergies get pretty bad when I'm in a new place, but the Walgreens brand of Zyrtec actually works really well.  Here in Milwaukee, the air quality is pretty bad, so it helps to have extra medicine around.  We can always tell the days when we're going to have trouble breathing outside because Nadie's eyes will get a ton of gunk in them. Gross.

Sandra - I hope you feel better quickly!  That sounds so awful. 

And I agree with everybody about logging workouts!!!  That's so motivational to see exactly how much I've done.  Even though my running numbers are low, I enjoy watching the weekly totals go up!  Maybe someday I'll be to run around 25 miles/week like Ryan!

Lastly, I have a bachelorette party the weekend after next.  I'm really nervous about it because I've been losing weight, and the calories that one night entails is overwhelming.  Any suggestions?  I'm already thinking I'll be the DW (designated walker) since we'll be downtown Chicago, so nobody will be driving anywhere.  This will be another major challenge for me!  I made it through my weekend at home without gaining any weight though, so we'll see how this goes!

Happy Wednesday!
2010-05-19 9:32 AM

User image

Veteran
Hey all!  I have posted in a while, but I have been logging my workouts.  It is so true, it really does make a difference when i log workouts versus not logging them.  I do love the accountability piece of it. 
I have been focusing on running this week and hope to get around 13-15 miles in this week.  So far I have 6 miles in.  I am at home today with a sick little girl, so I won't be running today and I ran two days back to back anyway. 
Thanks for all the motivation and help!  You guys are awesome!
2010-05-19 9:44 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Montreal, QC
Good luck on getting the miles up, Debbie!  It doesn't matter how many you're doing, as long as you're enjoying it and you are improving!  With already havign done 6 miles, though, I doubt you'll have a hard time getting the miles in!  I promise i'll email you back tonight.  I haven't been home much since the weekend!

2010-05-19 10:07 AM

User image

Expert
Austin, TX
Glad that migraine is gone!

Yeah, I used to take the medication (had these allergies for about 3-4yrs...just about the time I picked up triathlons and was outside working out more) and it used to work for the most part but this year I took it several times and it did nothing.  Finally gave up and saw the doc and he thinks my body got used to the meds and they lost their effectiveness.  Hopefully we can figure out exactly what it is and I can get something that works directly for it.

About the bachelorette party...I can think of two options.  I think you can be really good before and after and just let it be your "letting loose" (within reason) day or I would let everyone know ahead of time that I am serious about losing weight and I just can't do everything i might have done in the past.  ask them to respect your decision and help you be as healthy as possible and that you will be the DW.

SoccerGK - 2010-05-19 9:15 AM
Tim - Have you tried any over-the-counter medication?  My allergies get pretty bad when I'm in a new place, but the Walgreens brand of Zyrtec actually works really well.  Here in Milwaukee, the air quality is pretty bad, so it helps to have extra medicine around.  We can always tell the days when we're going to have trouble breathing outside because Nadie's eyes will get a ton of gunk in them. Gross.

2010-05-19 12:01 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maple Ridge

Today is better than yesterday and that is all I focus on, as long as there is improvement on the calf, I'm happy.  Today I walk relatively limp free and stairs aren't as excruciatingly painful as they were the last couple of days.  I'm doing everything I have been told to do, lot's of stretching, some ice and some heat.  Tomorrow, I'm supposed to try a nice light and easy 20 minutes of jogging or biking, I'd like to do the biking but the weather will determine that.  I know that even without an injury this would be a recovery week, but this is really forcing it on me, so I guess in a backhanded kind of way the injury is good...

Logging workouts is key, and I find I like looking at weekly/monthly stats too, it helps me gauge where I am focusing most of my time and may help me determine where I need to focus more time(swimming for me, but hard when I hate pools so much and the lakes are still a bit to cold)

Debbie, great job on getting the miles up!

And I will echo Tim's thoughts on the party, don't completely deny yourself, save it as a cheat "night" and let yourself indulge a little, but not to excess and definitely enlist your friends in helping you stay on track.  If you do drink any alcohol or have any caffeinated drinks, make sure you drink a glass of water for each you may have.  Do NOT weigh yourself the next morning, most likely you will have ingested salty foods and you may be retaining larger amounts of water, so drink lots of water the following day and wait another day before jumping on that scale if you feel compelled to. 

2010-05-19 2:20 PM
in reply to: #2868502

User image

Expert

Haven't checked the forum in a couple days and see I have alot to catch up on.

Sandra - Sorry your race didn't go as expected but looking on the brightside it sounds like your receovery is going pretty good.  I think someone mentioned it already but it does show alot of character, drive and determination to finish it the way you did.  I think most people would have just quit.

As far as posting I pretty much try and make it a habit to enter my workout within a few hours.  It does make you feel like you are accomplishing something when you enter it in and it is a great motivtional tool to look back and see your hard work when you are struggling.  Two years ago I was having some heart palpatation issues during my marathon training and by going back and reviewing the past year and the years after I was able to determine that my heart palps seem to increase as soon as I would hit 30 miles/week.  Doctor has cleared me to work out and calls it normal but by reviewing my logs it helped pinpoint one of the causes.

2010-05-19 8:26 PM

User image

Expert
South Jersey
Tim...I am happy to report you will not have to bring out your stick to beat me!  I thought I was going to be registering for a 5k tonight for next Saturday morning.  I was almost ready to register when I saw another one the following Sunday.  The one on June 6th is in the next town over and a much safer area than the one next weekend.  When I mentioned the one next weekend to John he just gave me a look.  The one next weekend is in Camden, the town that is usually on the top 10 dangerous cities of the country!  I just need to make sure we will be home the first weekend in June before I register and John is out tonight to check with him.  By lunchtime tomorrow, I will have registered for one of them!!
2010-05-20 9:34 AM

User image

Expert
Austin, TX
Alright Meggan...we're gonna stay on you until you sign up for one!  No sticks though.   I hope it works out with your schedule that you are able to do it.

Sandra, good to hear about your leg and I like the new picture!

Kick some butt on your triathlon this Sat, T2!!  This is your first right?  So do you have any time goals you are shooting for?  I used to be afraid to post mine for fear of failure, but I've learned that it is never a failure to compete to the best of your ability in a triathlon!!
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » chichitao's group - FULL! Rss Feed  

of 103