BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Colin Cook's Mentor Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 24

2010-08-02 7:59 PM
in reply to: #3018442

User image

Expert
MI
Subject: RE: Colin Cook's Mentor Group - CLOSED
Okay, just when I'm wondering if my local bike store has an end of the season sale comes a postcard in the mail that there's an end of the summer sale next weekend!  I am not set on buying a new bike, but I was thinking it's in the realm of possibility this fall/winter.  SO, I think I will go check out the store next weekend.  I know this is a very vague question, but besides the fit being the most important part, are there any other little things that I should keep in mind as I check out bikes???  I am a COMPLETE novice when it comes to bikes, I know nothing about them, so any key pieces of info would be very helpful!  Thanks!!

2010-08-03 10:11 AM
in reply to: #3019401

User image

Expert
Bedford, NH
cquin534 - 2010-08-02 6:01 PM Hi all.
So I had my second race yesterday and am happy to say I improved for the most part over my first race.  still working on swimming, but am I happy with the results. Here is a link to my report (I think I did it right this time, but let me know if it doesnt work)
Chad
http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=220473

Hey Chad,

I just read your race report.  Congrats once again on an awesome race!  Please take a look at my comments when you have a chance and keep up all the great work!

I'm not sure if everyone has looked at his report, but Chad got 4th in his AG in his second race!  Way to go bro!
2010-08-03 10:21 AM
in reply to: #3019707

User image

Expert
Bedford, NH
michgirlsk - 2010-08-02 8:59 PM Okay, just when I'm wondering if my local bike store has an end of the season sale comes a postcard in the mail that there's an end of the summer sale next weekend!  I am not set on buying a new bike, but I was thinking it's in the realm of possibility this fall/winter.  SO, I think I will go check out the store next weekend.  I know this is a very vague question, but besides the fit being the most important part, are there any other little things that I should keep in mind as I check out bikes???  I am a COMPLETE novice when it comes to bikes, I know nothing about them, so any key pieces of info would be very helpful!  Thanks!!

Hey Samantha,

Yes, that's a vague question, but its still a really good one.  To be honest, the most important thing to consider is how much you're willing to spend.  If you find a couple bikes in the same price range, you may want to really take a look at the specs.  Besides the price, the first thing you will want to consider in the type of frame.  The higher end bikes are made of carbon while the lower end will be aluminum.  I'm not sure what your price range is, but I would assume you're probably considering something with an aluminum frame.  The carbon frame will be a bit lighter and be a "smoother" ride, but you'll probably get more bang for your buck with aluminum.

The next thing to look at are the components of the bike.  Almost all retail bikes these days come with either Shimano or Sram compentents (two different companies), most being Shimano.  Each company has different levels of components and it may be a little obvious, but the higher end components you can get, the better.  The sales rep should be able to give you more details once you find a bike or two you are considering.

If you can pull it off, I'd recommend splurging now as opposed to the fall/winter.  Assuming you're still plan to do the HIM, you're race will be a lot better on a road bike as opposed to your hybrid.  If you feel like you're going to stick with the sport and you can pick something up now, I'd say go for it.

If you are in between a few and would like my advice, please feel free to email me at [email protected] and let me know which bikes you are considering.  I'd be more than happy to give you my input.
2010-08-04 12:50 PM
in reply to: #3020753

User image

Expert
MI
Colin, I sent you an e-mail!
2010-08-08 6:32 PM
in reply to: #3020728

User image

Hi everyone.  Just did a sprint today (second in two weeks, third ever) and I've posted my race report.
http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/directory/link-detail.asp?linkid=8214

Overall I'm very happy with my results even though I placed a little higher last week in my age group (I was higher overall this time).   If anyone remembers, I'm the guy who can't swim for crap and I was able to improve my 1/2M swim time from 18min in my first ever race to 13 min today.  Felt good and gave me a little more confidence.  Still room for improvement though.  Any and all comments welcome.
Thanks!
Chad
2010-08-08 8:57 PM
in reply to: #3030565

User image

Expert
Bedford, NH
cquin534 - 2010-08-08 7:32 PM Hi everyone.  Just did a sprint today (second in two weeks, third ever) and I've posted my race report.
http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/directory/link-detail.asp?linkid=8214

Overall I'm very happy with my results even though I placed a little higher last week in my age group (I was higher overall this time).   If anyone remembers, I'm the guy who can't swim for crap and I was able to improve my 1/2M swim time from 18min in my first ever race to 13 min today.  Felt good and gave me a little more confidence.  Still room for improvement though.  Any and all comments welcome.
Thanks!
Chad

Hey Chad,

I just read and commented on your RR.  Not too much to be said besides WOW!  That is quite an improvement on the swim and I think being relaxed was a HUGE part of it.

Way to go!

2010-08-09 9:53 AM
in reply to: #2776638

User image

Veteran
Georgia
Hello guys here is my race report from 8-8-2010 it was suppose to be 1.5k swim,22.4 bike,6.2 run....However this was a very disorganized event and the distances were shorter..I put the info end with my garmin distances at least I trust that because there is no way I improved from 2:46:00 to 2:10:11..LOL
Enjoy... all comments welcome!!!

http://beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=221420

Tim
2010-08-09 2:35 PM
in reply to: #3031646

User image

Expert
Bedford, NH
shake-n-bake - 2010-08-09 10:53 AM Hello guys here is my race report from 8-8-2010 it was suppose to be 1.5k swim,22.4 bike,6.2 run....However this was a very disorganized event and the distances were shorter..I put the info end with my garmin distances at least I trust that because there is no way I improved from 2:46:00 to 2:10:11..LOL

Tim

LOL, yeah, thats are too bad of improvements!  I just read and commented on your race report.  I didn't really have any criticism for you and its just too bad your chain dropped.  Your doing great Tim!  The only thing I must say is you are racing a TON!  Its really not idea for you body and its difficult to make gains if you're constantly racing.  Yes, you're getting some great experience, but like I stated, this must racing makes it difficult for someone to focus on their and make improvements.
2010-08-09 2:36 PM
in reply to: #3023244

User image

Expert
Bedford, NH
michgirlsk - 2010-08-04 1:50 PM Colin, I sent you an e-mail!

Hey Samantha,

So how'd you make out this weekend at the bike shop?  My guess is since you didn't post anything that you decided against getting something, but I figured I'd ask.
2010-08-09 4:17 PM
in reply to: #3032626

User image

Expert
MI
Hey Colin, the sale is actually this weekend, and I'm still planning on going!  Right now, I'm leaning towards the tri bike, but there are still a few more days to change my mind , and of course it depends on what they have in stock, hopefully my size! Thinking I want a Trek though.
2010-08-09 4:21 PM
in reply to: #3031646

User image

Expert
MI
shake-n-bake - 2010-08-09 10:53 AM Hello guys here is my race report from 8-8-2010 it was suppose to be 1.5k swim,22.4 bike,6.2 run....However this was a very disorganized event and the distances were shorter..I put the info end with my garmin distances at least I trust that because there is no way I improved from 2:46:00 to 2:10:11..LOL

Tim

WOW!  What is with all these events you are choosing without proper timing?   I didn't even know such triathlon events existed lol.

2010-08-09 5:10 PM
in reply to: #3032950

User image

Expert
MI
Oh yeah!  One more thing.  I know you're a swimming coach, but I'm not sure if long distance swimming is an area of expertise, but I am wondering how much I should cut back on my swimming for my 5K OWS event.  I am now two weeks out.  I've read varying things online, some saying long distance events don't need so much of a taper, and some 2-3 week taper suggestions.  Generally, recently, I've been swimming 8-10K each week, on 4x a week: 3x 2000m sessions, and then a longer swim, longest one being 3 weeks before the event at 4500m.  (I kinda slacked last week, 2x2000m and the long swim being 3200m = 7K.)  I am thinking this week I will try to make it up to 9-10K, and then back off next week, which is the week leading up to the race.  Any thoughts?  Thanks!
2010-08-10 10:28 AM
in reply to: #3033031

User image

Expert
Bedford, NH
michgirlsk - 2010-08-09 6:10 PM Oh yeah!  One more thing.  I know you're a swimming coach, but I'm not sure if long distance swimming is an area of expertise, but I am wondering how much I should cut back on my swimming for my 5K OWS event.  I am now two weeks out.  I've read varying things online, some saying long distance events don't need so much of a taper, and some 2-3 week taper suggestions.  Generally, recently, I've been swimming 8-10K each week, on 4x a week: 3x 2000m sessions, and then a longer swim, longest one being 3 weeks before the event at 4500m.  (I kinda slacked last week, 2x2000m and the long swim being 3200m = 7K.)  I am thinking this week I will try to make it up to 9-10K, and then back off next week, which is the week leading up to the race.  Any thoughts?  Thanks!

Hey Samatha,

Sounds great about the bike sale.  I hope it works out well for you.

Very good question about the taper for the 5K swim.  I will admit, I do not have much experience in tapering for swims this long.  However, I have been taught that due to the impact/strain on your body while swimming, you do not have to taper as much, especially compared to running.  If you wanted to taper the week before, I don't think that would be a bad idea.  I would recommend doing your normal 2K workout for the first workout of the week, only do about 1K in your next workout and then maybe 500 or so 2 days outs from the race.  Remember that while tapering, intensity stays high, but the volume drops.

I hope that helps.
2010-08-10 11:26 AM
in reply to: #3034517

User image

Expert
MI
Okay, thanks.  Works out perfectly actually.  Monday I'll do something normal, Wednesday is my tri (800m), and then one last swim before the event on Sunday!
2010-08-10 6:32 PM
in reply to: #3034517

User image

Expert
Bedford, NH

Hey Samatha,

Sounds great about the bike sale.  I hope it works out well for you.

Very good question about the taper for the 5K swim.  I will admit, I do not have much experience in tapering for swims this long.  However, I have been taught that due to the impact/strain on your body while swimming, you do not have to taper as much, especially compared to running.  If you wanted to taper the week before, I don't think that would be a bad idea.  I would recommend doing your normal 2K workout for the first workout of the week, only do about 1K in your next workout and then maybe 500 or so 2 days outs from the race.  Remember that while tapering, intensity stays high, but the volume drops.

I hope that helps.

Sounds good Samantha.  I just reread my post and notice a mistake.  I meant to say, I have been taught that due to the LACK OF impact/strain on your body while swimming, you do not have to taper as much, especially compared to running.
2010-08-11 1:01 PM
in reply to: #3035677

User image

Expert
MI
I knew what you meant, I didn't even notice.

2010-08-13 9:07 AM

User image

Expert
Bedford, NH
Hi Everyone,

Happy Friday!  How's everyone doing?

Things are going great for me.  I've got a big training day planned for tomorrow.  A friend of mine and I are heading up to New Hampshire to do ride a 6 hour ride followed by a 45 min run.  We're planning to do at least 2 loops of the Timberman course (a 56 mile loop, its a .MOT HIM thats actually next weekend) so it should end up being my longest ride ever.  Its a hilly course, but we should get at least 112 miles in.  It looks like we're going to have great weather so I'm really looking forward to it.

I hope everyone is doing well!
2010-08-13 9:47 PM
in reply to: #3041764

User image

Veteran
Georgia
hockeyhands - 2010-08-13 10:07 AM Hi Everyone,

Happy Friday!  How's everyone doing?

Things are going great for me.  I've got a big training day planned for tomorrow.  A friend of mine and I are heading up to New Hampshire to do ride a 6 hour ride followed by a 45 min run.  We're planning to do at least 2 loops of the Timberman course (a 56 mile loop, its a .MOT HIM thats actually next weekend) so it should end up being my longest ride ever.  Its a hilly course, but we should get at least 112 miles in.  It looks like we're going to have great weather so I'm really looking forward to it.

I hope everyone is doing well!

Have fun and be careful.... Weather permitting I'm suppose to do a fifty mile charity ride..
Hope everyone here has a great weekend...

Tim
2010-08-15 12:00 PM
in reply to: #3043321

User image

Expert
MI
It seems as though our group is diminishing.

I have really been slacking with my swimming and biking... errr...  There really is no reason except... I just haven't felt like it... On the flip side I've been trying to get my running up and have been happy with that.

I went to the bike store yesterday and they really didn't have anything my size.  It wasn't a total waste though, the bike guy that was helping me out was informative and gave me some food for thought... As for the girl's bike on craigslist, I was supposed to meet with her today, but she has another potential buyer who's currently in possession of the bike.  Apparently it's a bit small for her, but she's taking it to the bike shop to see if she can work with it.  If she can't, I'll check out the bike some time this week.  I found another bike on craigslist and maybe I'll meet with her...  The more time that passes the less I'm willing to spend, which means less likely to make a purchase, ha!  But I'll continue to keep looking on craigslist in hopes of something good coming along.  My thought is with tri/riding season coming to an end, more bikes will be put up for sale?
2010-08-15 1:40 PM

User image

Veteran
Georgia
Samantha

It does seem like it is just me,you, and Colin... Sometimes on the training it might be good to stop so you don't get burned out or just try switching up the workouts so you are not always doing the same thing... My one piece of advice on the bike is to make sure you are fitted...If you are thinking of a tri bike I would talk to a fitter to see which brand fits your body the best, don't choose a bike by looks along, please make sure it fits because you don't want to spend hard earn money then be uncomfortable..That's just my two cents because the first bike I bought did not fit me and I was very unefficent on it..
 BTW I got my run and bike workouts in this week but I missed a lot of my swimming to..

Tim
2010-08-16 7:04 PM

User image

Veteran
Georgia
Colin I hope your ride went well, I rode 50 on Sat. then 23 on Sunday... Will you look at my planned workout and see how I need to taper for the week before the 5th race and the week for the 11th race in September... Thanks

Also what wheel set do you have on your TT bike..

Thanks
Tim

2010-08-16 11:05 PM

User image

Colin, Tim, and Samantha,

There's still a few of us on here...lurking anyway...  Wink

I've been super busy, spending a ton of time in Denver (where I'm at again this week (and last, and next; basically August), but I'm still getting most of my training in.

Let's see, since the last time I've posted: everyone has been doing a ton of races, congrats;
- I had my first swimming lesson in probably 30+ years.  That was kind of strange, but went really well.  My coach said that my swim was actually better than she'd expected and not too bad; she put together a set of drills for me to work on specific parts of the freestyle stroke.  I'll work on it out here this week and will, hopefully, get a chance to meet with her again this coming weekend.
- Found a bike store with a load (maybe 10) Tri bikes and a few "bikes" to measure optimal geometry (don't remember the name, but it was basically a jig to move everything around).  I figure if this Olympic goes well and I'm still stoked, I'll look into a new bike and a HIM for next year and maybe an IM sometime after that.  As far as bikes, I was really surprised to see the Speed Concept in-person and they had Cervelo and Felt, as well.  Very nice!!!
- Other than that, I've just been doing a bunch of running and biking.  Nothing too exciting.  Running at night was kind of cool.

- The only other "big" news from my front is my shooting team (US Air Force: me and 3 other guys) took second place at the National Prone Championships.  That was/is a big deal.  We beat the Army team for the first time in forever and were near the top for the first time since sometime in the 60's.  No one present could remember a time we'd shot so well.  That was very cool.  So, shooting's going well!

Colin: anything specific for getting faster on the bike?  I've been building up the distance and time to a bit longer than race distance, so I'm not concerned about finishing.  Sure would like to be faster though.  Is it just a matter of pushing harder (i.e. purposefully riding faster, maybe in sprints for a few minutes throughout the ride)?  There're no hills close to me, so riding hills is out w/o me driving maybe 60 miles, then riding.  Which I could do.

I guess that's it for now.

Take Care,
Mark

2010-08-17 8:14 PM

User image

Expert
Bedford, NH
Hey Guys!

Yes, it certainly appears that our group is dwindling, but that's ok!  Smile

Samantha, unfortunately almost everyone gets sick/bored of training at certain points.  Don't feel bad about it as it is extremely common.  If you really don't feel like training, don't!  As Tim said, it can often lead to burnout if you try to train through it.  During these times, I have a few recommendations.  I'd recommend trying to do something fun with your training or do some cross training.  Go out for a ride and leave your odometer, GPS, etc at home, and ride through a scenic or area you enjoy being in.

Whenever this happens to me, I usually just remind myself how lucky I am to be physically capable of doing this type of training and think about people that aren't able to.  I also think about my ultimate goal and how great it is going to be when I achieve it.  This usually really helps me, but everyone is different.

I hope that helps.
2010-08-17 8:19 PM

User image

Expert
Bedford, NH
Hi Everyone,

Just realized I didn't tell you all about my first 112 mile ride last weekend.  As I had planned, I went up to NH and did 2 loops of the Timberman HIM course.  Its a pretty hilly course, but the ride it went quite well!  It was definitely very difficult, but I averaged just under 19 mph and felt a great sense of accomplishment after.  I also managed to pull of a pretty decent 45 min run after when I was actually pretty surprised about after how tired I was after the ride.  This was definitely an eye opener for me as to how hard the IM is going to be, but I've still got a lot of great training in front of me and I'm feeling really good about it!
2010-08-18 12:43 AM
in reply to: #3049237

User image

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Colin Cook's Mentor Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 24