Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 84

2011-05-26 12:56 PM
in reply to: #3519895

User image

Veteran
Colorado Springs
Subject: RE: Ernesto's group - CLOSED

Can't wait to read the book myself after that recap!!!

have both the Merrell's and Vibram Five Fingers (two pairs).  I wear the Merrell Tough Gloves (a leather version of the Trail Gloves.  Still part of their "barefoot" line) as my everyday work shoe.  I find the Five Fingers much closer to barefoot than the Merrell's.  In fact, the running VFF, the Bikila, is farther from barefoot than my other pair, VFF Sprints.   Also, try running a little bit, say a half mile, slowly and completely barefoot now and then.   It helps with the form for running in VFF's.  And for both, work up the mileage very slowly.  Your calves will thank you.

What type of road conditions do you run on with the 5 fingers.... I'm looking at getting some while I can get a discount.  I just replaced my old...way too old Mizunos with a new pair and my feet aren't very happy.  My friends at the shoe store however were surprised that I wasn't injured because they were so shot.  Go back to less is better!  

Now for todays run..  What a reality check!  I thought I was during great at training at sub 9 minutes pace for short runs and around 10 min pace for longer runs.  I used the heart rate monitor today and I couldn't get my watch to stop screaming at me!  I was running at an 11min pace and it was still saying my HR was too high. I couldn't believe it.  Now I have my race in less than 3 weeks.  Should I still push the tempos at a shorter distance and then make sure the long is my aerobic?  Guess that's why I haven't been able to drop my body fat percentage with all my training.  If I've been training anaerobically this whole time that could explain so much!!!!!!  WOW and HELP!!!

2011-05-26 1:05 PM
in reply to: #3520054

User image

Master
Dallas
Subject: RE: Bike TT 2 PR

baurryman - 2011-05-26 11:34 AM Question. How often should you change the tires on your bike?
When you turn a tight corner and your bike decides to keep going straight, you go down and get some road rash.

That's definitely time to replace rubbers. j/k Tongue out When you don't see threads any more, time for a change.

2011-05-26 1:13 PM
in reply to: #3520244

User image

Master
Dallas
jenputnam - 2011-05-26 12:56 PM

Can't wait to read the book myself after that recap!!!

have both the Merrell's and Vibram Five Fingers (two pairs).  I wear the Merrell Tough Gloves (a leather version of the Trail Gloves.  Still part of their "barefoot" line) as my everyday work shoe.  I find the Five Fingers much closer to barefoot than the Merrell's.  In fact, the running VFF, the Bikila, is farther from barefoot than my other pair, VFF Sprints.   Also, try running a little bit, say a half mile, slowly and completely barefoot now and then.   It helps with the form for running in VFF's.  And for both, work up the mileage very slowly.  Your calves will thank you.

What type of road conditions do you run on with the 5 fingers.... I'm looking at getting some while I can get a discount.  I just replaced my old...way too old Mizunos with a new pair and my feet aren't very happy.  My friends at the shoe store however were surprised that I wasn't injured because they were so shot.  Go back to less is better!  

Now for todays run..  What a reality check!  I thought I was during great at training at sub 9 minutes pace for short runs and around 10 min pace for longer runs.  I used the heart rate monitor today and I couldn't get my watch to stop screaming at me!  I was running at an 11min pace and it was still saying my HR was too high. I couldn't believe it.  Now I have my race in less than 3 weeks.  Should I still push the tempos at a shorter distance and then make sure the long is my aerobic?  Guess that's why I haven't been able to drop my body fat percentage with all my training.  If I've been training anaerobically this whole time that could explain so much!!!!!!  WOW and HELP!!!

Not a good time for changes in the strategy Jen. But after the race we need to work on your aerobic endurance and fat glycolisis. That will probably mean much slower pace in your long runs than you’re used to but it’s ok.

Running slower will make you faster. Like I have said here many times, most runners have the same problem, going too easy on their hard workouts and going too hard in your easy workouts. There should be a significant gap between both sides of the spectrum.

The greatest marathoners in history (running at an average sub 5’/mile) do recovery runs at 10’/miles.

I’ve had running partners that wouldn’t run one ten minute mile for nothing in the world because it would make them look slow, so that’s when you need to separate training from racing. I know I lot of people that wins trainings but loses in races. What’s the point?

2011-05-26 1:20 PM
in reply to: #3520294

User image

Veteran
Colorado Springs
I am completely on board with slowing done to get faster.  I expected to have to slow down but was very surprised to see how much.  I'll keep the plan for the half in place and then really work on this new plan after the race.  I am glad to have discovered this information out and am so thankful for your guidance.    
2011-05-26 1:25 PM
in reply to: #3520244

User image

Maple Grove, MN
jenputnam - 2011-05-26 12:56 PM

What type of road conditions do you run on with the 5 fingers?

Mostly asphalt. Some concrete, but I prefer to avoid that.  Too hard.

2011-05-26 1:47 PM
in reply to: #3520329

User image

Veteran
Colorado Springs
When I move I will have asphalt concrete and trails.  Do you recommend anything that would be good for all here.  Where I live now I have the beach but that's only for another month and I want to get them and start getting used to them after my race as my reward.

2011-05-26 1:54 PM
in reply to: #3520397

User image

Maple Grove, MN

jenputnam - 2011-05-26 1:47 PM When I move I will have asphalt concrete and trails.  Do you recommend anything that would be good for all here.  Where I live now I have the beach but that's only for another month and I want to get them and start getting used to them after my race as my reward.

I'm in Minnesota.  What is this "beach" you speak of?  

More seriously, I would mix it up, but run barefoot when on the sand.

2011-05-26 2:15 PM
in reply to: #3520415

User image

Veteran
Colorado Springs

I went online and looked at a few different models of them.  I am currently is Southern California (LA-Southbay area) and the beach is half a mile from my door.  We are only here until July 8 and then we will be moving to Colorado Springs.  I'm not sure of the running conditions where we will be living but asphalt is always available and I know that there are lots of trails in that area.  Several of my friends have them that live here for beach running and love them.  I never wear shoes in the house and it wasn't until I moved here that I even wore them outside.   Anyway...  I was looking for feedback and advice from people that actively wear them and seek recommendations and advice as I can get it!

Thanks

2011-05-26 4:53 PM
in reply to: #3520470

User image

Expert
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

I just bought the VFF Bilika LS.  The laces seem to help them fit my feet better than the sprints I tried on.  I don't want to take them off.  In fact, I wore them all day today at school.  I haven't done much "running" in them yet.  I have run one mile a few times completely barefoot and I loved it.  I too don't wear shoes much at home.  I run on asphalt, a little concrete and a little pea gravel.  I can't believe how light they are and I don't want to take them off as soon as I get inside like all of my "running" shoes.

FYI, www.rei.com, is having a sale until 5/30.  If you join as a member, you get a 20% discount.  So basically, if you buy the shoes from them, your $20 membership is free for life.  At the end of the year, you get a check back as a rebate on your purchases.  And, they have a 100% satisfaction guarantee.  They told me I could run in these shoes for 3 or 4 months if I wanted to and then return them.  That guarantee is what encouraged me to get them right away.

@Mitch  I tried on the Merrells, but found that the toebox felt constricting vs the Five Fingers.

2011-05-26 6:03 PM
in reply to: #3520813

User image

Veteran
Colorado Springs
Thanks Jackie.  I am a member of REI that's why I was looking at getting them before the 30th.  The run club I'm with, like most has a connection at the running store where I just purchased my Mizunos...  REI has a better selection though.  I was looking at the same pair that you are talking about or the Treksport/multisport which is recommended for light tail and road running.  The other give the Near-barefoot recommendation and running....but they are 3mm not 4mm.  
2011-05-26 6:15 PM
in reply to: #3520869

User image

Expert
I normally do research ahead of time, but stopped at the store after Texas IM.  When I got home and looked them up, it turns out the Bikila was the first shoe that Vibram designed specifically for running.  Just in case that helps you.  I think whichever ones you are comfortable in are the best for you.

2011-05-26 6:18 PM
in reply to: #3520049

User image

Expert
Subject: RE: Bike TT 2 PR
baurryman - 2011-05-26 11:33 AM
jdiis - 2011-05-25 10:17 PM

I wish sometimes that I lived in the Texas area to have someone to workout with but increasingly I won't be able to keep up with you folks!  

Barry,

Check these threads out.  Maybe these are close to you. 

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=238300&posts=17&start=1  Chicago Cycling Club

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=243709&posts=5&start=1   Chicago Tri Club

2011-05-26 11:17 PM
in reply to: #3436601

User image

Maple Grove, MN

Yesterday I was going to do a route which is used for Time Trials around here.  Drove to parking lot where it begins, put on shoes, reached for helmet .... no helmet. Still in my garage.   So I went straight to work instead of biking on the way.

Soooo, today I biked 24 miles in the morning.  (Just too nice a day not to bike).  

Then this evening, I did my long run.  Beautiful night, beautiful location (south Minneapolis lakes area) and the timing worked.  My daughter was taking a class 35 minutes from my home.  So no sense in going home after dropping her off just to have to turn around again to pick her up, so a long run seemed like a good thing to do with 90 minutes.  

But oh do my legs hurt now.  Is making up a workout like this by doing two a bad idea?  Tomorrow is a rest day.

2011-05-27 7:00 AM
in reply to: #3521173

User image

Master
Dallas
older2533 - 2011-05-26 11:17 PM

Yesterday I was going to do a route which is used for Time Trials around here.  Drove to parking lot where it begins, put on shoes, reached for helmet .... no helmet. Still in my garage.   So I went straight to work instead of biking on the way.

Soooo, today I biked 24 miles in the morning.  (Just too nice a day not to bike).  

Then this evening, I did my long run.  Beautiful night, beautiful location (south Minneapolis lakes area) and the timing worked.  My daughter was taking a class 35 minutes from my home.  So no sense in going home after dropping her off just to have to turn around again to pick her up, so a long run seemed like a good thing to do with 90 minutes.  

But oh do my legs hurt now.  Is making up a workout like this by doing two a bad idea?  Tomorrow is a rest day.

You'll be alright

Cycling and running utilize different muscle fibers. No sweat. It is not ideal though but it's ok.

2011-05-27 7:05 AM

User image

Master
Dallas

I already got rid of all my inflammation, on Tuesday my weight was 176.6 and today 170 even. That means I've healed most of the damage, I cannot believe it happened this fast but anyway, yesterday I put my first run and felt great. Today I'm going for another shorty and tomorrow an easy spin of 44 miles.

I'm already signed up for a Super Sprint (Metroplex) on Saturday June 11th. Time to race fast! I love sprints because you're red lining the whole way. Smile

2011-05-27 7:42 AM
in reply to: #3521327

User image

Master
evillarroel - 2011-05-27 7:05 AM

I already got rid of all my inflammation, on Tuesday my weight was 176.6 and today 170 even. That means I've healed most of the damage, I cannot believe it happened this fast but anyway, yesterday I put my first run and felt great. Today I'm going for another shorty and tomorrow an easy spin of 44 miles.

I'm already signed up for a Super Sprint (Metroplex) on Saturday June 11th. Time to race fast! I love sprints because you're red lining the whole way. Smile

Congrats on the quick recovery!  The pain from an all out effort is nice, isn't it?

2011-05-27 7:45 AM
in reply to: #3521173

User image

Master
older2533 - 2011-05-26 11:17 PM

Mike - I was in your part of the world on Wed (Chanhassen) for a business meeting.  On the way to the airport I took a detour and went to the Penn Cycle store in Woodbury to look at a Cervelo S1 from 2010.  Cervelo looks to be no longer making that frame so I wanted to check it out to see if I should buy it.  I have to say that the Minneapolis area is very beautiful!

Do you know anything about the Penn Cycle stores - good people to deal with, etc.?  Thanks!

2011-05-27 7:50 AM
in reply to: #3521393

User image

Maple Grove, MN
dangremond - 2011-05-27 7:45 AM

Mike - I was in your part of the world on Wed (Chanhassen) for a business meeting.  On the way to the airport I took a detour and went to the Penn Cycle store in Woodbury to look at a Cervelo S1 from 2010.  Cervelo looks to be no longer making that frame so I wanted to check it out to see if I should buy it.  I have to say that the Minneapolis area is very beautiful!

Do you know anything about the Penn Cycle stores - good people to deal with, etc.?  Thanks!

Chris here.   There is a great tri place here, Gear West Bike and Tri in Long Lake.   Everybody seems happy with them, including me.  They have an entire room dedicated just to tri bikes with what seems like scores of them.  I bought my bike from my local bike shop, and they were fine, but I had it refitted at Gear West.  Penn Cycle is a fine bike store from what I've heard.  I've never been there, but my impression is that they are a bike store.  

2011-05-27 8:40 AM
in reply to: #3521401

User image

Master

Chris: Thanks for the reply and I'm sorry about the name mixup. 

I'm still not ready to take the tri-bike plunge and am intrigued with the ability to use the Cervelo S1 capability of changing the seat tuve angle with their special seat-post.   Based on family and work dynamics I am a couple years from doing an ironman - I figure I can certainly do a 1/2 on a road bike especially if I can get close to an optimum aero position with a special seatpost.  Plus, there are group rides local to where I live that will become the bulk of my outdor riding as time permits.  I stumbled on Penn Cycles by searching for 2010 S1 Cervelo 54cm online.  Not many stores with them anymore and Minnesota happens to be somewhere I travel to semi-regularly.

2011-05-27 9:55 AM

User image

Expert
Subject: Fueling the Workouts

OK, let's talk about fueling before and after a workout.  What should I change or add or what do you do that's working?

For cycling right now, I drink tons of water, eat a Cliff or Luna bar and/or a banana and/or nuts, and a GU gel if I'm feeling low on energy.  This is in addition to a good meal an hour or so before.  That's usually for rides of 30 to 40 miles.  As it gets hotter, in the past I have done Gatorade, but I don't really like the sweetness. 

For swimming and walk/runs of less than 7 miles I make sure I don't go when I'm hungry.  Sometimes I'll have an orange or an apple with almond butter before leaving.  I usually just drink water before I go and water when I come back. 

Thanks!

2011-05-27 10:27 AM

El Paso

Good day gang,

Ernesto, need your help, I’m feeling kind of down, my training is not going as I hope for, don’t know if its the summer, the heat, or the wind that lately seems to be a norm here at El Paso!..  the thing is that my numbers are not as good as I thought, my long runs are in the range of 10 min/mil, with a HR of +7. The bike is not bad, I think, average 21mil/hr with a HR of -5. And the swim, oh!! The swim, actually I haven’t recorded any time but im guessing that its around 3min/100yds.. 

That will not get me in any 1/2 im right? ...   The last 2 weeks I stopped using the garming just to enjoy the activities a bit more, but at the end of the day in the back of my mind the numbers start popping from total time and distance its kinda frustating, I will start using the Garmin this weekend.

And to top it all next Tuesday Im back in school, Im not complaining because at this point this is my top priority. I only know that I could do so much better with training if I see some improvement and competitive numbers..  ooh!!  Wait, I had developed some knee pain, I think that its because of the shoes that the guys from the store recommended, they are kind of stiff, planning to get a new pair of the ones I had before.. 

To improve; I plan to do a ½ Im on Sep 23, do you think this is a doable goal? Also, next week I’ll do a 5k run, just to get the race spirit in. no sub 20, my PR is 28 min 5k.

Edited by alfredo1414 2011-05-27 1:37 PM

2011-05-27 12:23 PM
in reply to: #3521710

User image

Master
Dallas
Subject: RE: Fueling the Workouts
jdiis - 2011-05-27 9:55 AM

OK, let's talk about fueling before and after a workout.  What should I change or add or what do you do that's working?

For cycling right now, I drink tons of water, eat a Cliff or Luna bar and/or a banana and/or nuts, and a GU gel if I'm feeling low on energy.  This is in addition to a good meal an hour or so before.  That's usually for rides of 30 to 40 miles.  As it gets hotter, in the past I have done Gatorade, but I don't really like the sweetness. 

For swimming and walk/runs of less than 7 miles I make sure I don't go when I'm hungry.  Sometimes I'll have an orange or an apple with almond butter before leaving.  I usually just drink water before I go and water when I come back. 

Thanks!

Where's the electrolytes chica?!?!?!?!?! Watch out, you're gonna drop dead in the Texas heat. Fueling also, has to happen DURING the workout mostly. What you do before is pretty much irrelevant (unless we're talking you had a Quarter pounder w/cheese before) and after you should procure some protein in that small window of two hours after.

Sugar and electrolytes are what you need during such as Gatorade or IM perform. If you can't deal with the taste do gels (many), water and electrolyte pills such as saltstick or endurolytes.

Careful!

2011-05-27 1:35 PM
in reply to: #3522044

User image

Veteran
Colorado Springs

Jackie I don't like Gatorade either..  Too thick and sweet.  I do use gels though but I just started drinking NUUN.  Ernesto, have you heard much about this product?  It is much thinner than Gatorade and I actually feel as though any thirst has been quenched.

I tried a run today...  It was tough!  Right foot still bothering me in the arch and instead of pulling or doing any damage I stopped several times to walk....  Also stopped the watch.  I avoided running the inclines and walked those except for the 1 dune coming off the beach to the road.  I have a long run planned Monday and I want to be 100%.  

2011-05-27 1:55 PM
in reply to: #3522165

User image

Master
Dallas
jenputnam - 2011-05-27 1:35 PM

Jackie I don't like Gatorade either..  Too thick and sweet.  I do use gels though but I just started drinking NUUN.  Ernesto, have you heard much about this product?  It is much thinner than Gatorade and I actually feel as though any thirst has been quenched.

I tried a run today...  It was tough!  Right foot still bothering me in the arch and instead of pulling or doing any damage I stopped several times to walk....  Also stopped the watch.  I avoided running the inclines and walked those except for the 1 dune coming off the beach to the road.  I have a long run planned Monday and I want to be 100%.  

I heard about NUUN, I went to a Catholic School when I was a kid. Laughing Never tried it. Don't run with pain, it will lead to injury 100% sure of that. Give it some rest and see how you feel later.
2011-05-27 2:01 PM

User image

Maple Grove, MN

I like Nuun.  But stopped using it for two reasons: it has 1) artificial ingredients, and 2) no calories.  

The no calories is a good thing sometimes, but I'm guessing Ernesto wants you to actually get calories along with the water and various salts in sports drinks when actually racing or in the middle of a hard training session. 

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Ernesto's group - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 84