BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Mav's Massachusetts Mentor Group/Full for the Season Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 23

2012-04-09 1:27 PM
in reply to: #3966875

User image

Princeton
Subject: RE: Mav's Massachusetts Mentor Group/Full for the Season
Hi it is me, nancy. Got out for a walk today with a few short bursts of running. Was surprised I felt better than I thought I would. Am in desperate need of a way to stay motivated with workouts. What works for you?

2012-04-09 1:44 PM
in reply to: #4138495

User image

Veteran
South Shore, MA

hi Nancy!!  Glad you got out for a run/walk and that it felt good!! 

The thing that motivates me the most is having an actual race lined up/registered for.  If I don't have a race coming up, I totally blow off training/working out! 

I also try to schedule my weekly workouts in advance so I can get the appropriate training sessions in each week. On Sundays, I write out what I have on tap for the coming week and try to stick with it as best I can (but also have to be flexible, it's a delicate balancing act as we all know!). 

I occasionally allow myself a guilt free purchase if I stick to my training and finish a race that is challenging.  For example, I told myself that if I completed my first HM last fall, I'd allow myself to purchase a road bike without feeling guilty about it!

2012-04-09 3:36 PM
in reply to: #4138534

User image

Veteran
Hopkinton MA
kpringle - 2012-04-09 2:44 PM

hi Nancy!!  Glad you got out for a run/walk and that it felt good!! 

The thing that motivates me the most is having an actual race lined up/registered for.  If I don't have a race coming up, I totally blow off training/working out! 

I also try to schedule my weekly workouts in advance so I can get the appropriate training sessions in each week. On Sundays, I write out what I have on tap for the coming week and try to stick with it as best I can (but also have to be flexible, it's a delicate balancing act as we all know!). 

I occasionally allow myself a guilt free purchase if I stick to my training and finish a race that is challenging.  For example, I told myself that if I completed my first HM last fall, I'd allow myself to purchase a road bike without feeling guilty about it!

I love that treat/shopping idea Kristen!

I agree, Nancy & Kristen, that having a race on the calendar and a workout plan is the best motivation!!!   @N - last summer I didn't have a paid BT membership, but I made up a free "custom" training plan based on the tri's I'd registered for.  I shifted some workouts around during the week, to fit my available hours and mav's group workouts, but I tried very hard to get all the week's workouts done.  I also logged all my calories in/out and the distances I ran/ rode, and it was so encouraging to see my progress from May to October.  By then I had a fairly good habit going, and developed some ambition for longer races, and I started to WANT to go running (LOL - ME wanting to run!?!? but yes, it happened over the course of a year) and I now get disappointed if I miss more than 1-2 training days in a row.

@N - are you interested in the SheRox sprint in Devens, 8/19, or Westboro sprint 8/19, or Appleman sprint in Littleton, mid-July?

Edited by Erincsg 2012-04-09 3:41 PM
2012-04-09 4:11 PM

User image

Veteran
Hopkinton MA
These look fun!  I'd never heard of this before....

Hal's 27th Boston Marathon Day Bike Ride
April 16, 2012 at 6:00 AM - 10:00 AM
A Boston Tradition Continues with 'Hal's 27th Annual Marathon Day Ride.' Be a part of history with this bicycle endeavor. Since 1986, every Patriot's Day, a group of 40+ cyclists, lead by Hal Gabriel, join forces to bike the Boston Marathon path. It's a 52 miles excursion from Boston to Hopkinton and back. Be assured you will not be alone and there is enough support to get everyone through this trek. Upon the participants return, the Greater Boston Central YMCA will provide free refreshments and Fitness Foundry will dole out free T-shirts. It's a Win, Win event. Here are the details on 'Hal's 27th Annual Boston Marathon Day Ride': *52 Total Miles. 26 miles each way. *BYOB: Bring Your Own Bicycle *Cost: Free *Experience: All are welcomed *Date: April 16, 2012 *Start Time: 6:00am EST *Estimated End Time: 10am *Location: The front steps of 'The Greater Boston Central YMCA' on Huntington Ave., Boston, Mass. *They will ride to the starting point in Copley Square. *Weather: Rain or Shine. *Pre-requisite: Must sign agreement form to participate in physical activity. Things to Consider: *Please arrive 20 minutes early to prepare for the ride. *They ride to the starting point in Copley Square. *There is no competition. Ride at your own pace. *Total is 52 miles. 26 miles each way. *Weather elements. Dress accordingly. *Be cautious of potholes. *Be smart and alert to surroundings. *Have Fun and Enjoy the Ride. *Hal’s motto for this year is “Keep Moving”…
YMCA of Greater Boston, Boston

Boston Midnight Marathon Ride
Apr 15 at 06:00 PM - Apr 16 at 03:00 AM
This ride is 'show and go'; no "leaders", just come and ride the route with each other! Since the Boston Marathon's start/finish lines and fancy mile markers will be set up, you'll feel just like you're running the marathon, except without all that silly cheering and running.
RSVP here for email updates and to give us an idea of headcount so we can warn the commuter rail managers in advance (we'll likely need more cars than usual)
Like last year, there will be two rides; a sunset ride and a midnight ride. Details will be posted shortly.
2012-04-09 5:01 PM
in reply to: #4138998

User image

Veteran
South Shore, MA
erin, those rides look so much fun!  we're headed to NY on thursday through monday for my brother's wedding...  otherwise, i'd love to do one of those rides!!  let me know if you end up doing one, i'd love to hear about it!
2012-04-10 7:39 AM

User image

Veteran
Hopkinton MA

Found this on someone's blog:

"The USAT national board passed this resolution, 4/2/12, for the revision of the USAT Rule Book, Article III, General Rules and Conduct, Rule 3.2. The weight standards will commence in effect on January 1, 2013."
Female weight class (Athena) 165 pounds (previously 150)

Hmmm. Paradigm shift for me next season.

2012-04-10 11:59 AM
in reply to: #4140065

User image

Veteran
South Shore, MA
Erincsg - 2012-04-10 8:39 AM

Found this on someone's blog:

"The USAT national board passed this resolution, 4/2/12, for the revision of the USAT Rule Book, Article III, General Rules and Conduct, Rule 3.2. The weight standards will commence in effect on January 1, 2013."
Female weight class (Athena) 165 pounds (previously 150)

Hmmm. Paradigm shift for me next season.

wow, very interesting.... 

2012-04-11 7:31 AM

User image

Princeton
Thanks for the motivational advice, guys. I really appreciate it!
2012-04-11 8:07 AM

Uxbridge

Oh Erin those rides look like fun. Are you thinking of doing it? I would probably have to join you!!!

Nancy, I completely agree with Erin and Kristen....motivation comes when you sign up for a race. You will train out of sheer excitement ( and maybe a little fear). Once you race a few races it becomes part of a lifestyle because you realize how much better you feel when you train regularly.

When I quit smoking and started training I would reward myself with tri gear. SO much fun to shop! I could rationalize spending the money because I was not smoking. 6 years later...I cant really use it as an excuse, but I love to buy new toys.

The weekend looks like its goingto warm up. Who is going to the Marathon on Monday?

2012-04-12 1:52 PM

User image

Princeton
@erin I am thinking of signing up for westboro or devens. I am signed up for Hopkinson women's race in sept. my dentist is doing westboro. Funds are kind of limited so I was thinking maybe just signing up for some running races would be a more realistic option for me.
2012-04-14 7:21 AM

User image

Veteran
Hopkinton MA

@N - I think that would be great if you plan on a sprint for August!  The SheROX event was a lot of fun, very spirited crowd, lots of newbies. 

This OWS on the cape looks fun!!    There are 0.5mi, 1mi, and 3 mi events, only $25. 23rd Annual “Cape Cod” Open Water Super Swim, Saturday, June 23rd, 2012

http://www.mashpeerec.com/documents/reg.2012.pdf

2012-04-16 10:20 AM

User image

Princeton
Anybody go to the marathon? I'll be working on editing marathon stories and photos for the paper tonight so instead i walked/ ran my own little route. Man it was hot out just doing 2.5 I can't imagine how hot the runners are right now!
2012-04-16 12:48 PM
in reply to: #4153362

User image

Veteran

I'm also curious to hear if any of you went to the marathon.  Do some of you guys have today off? 

I'm tracking a few friends and watched a little bit of the elite race.  I just ran 3 miles at lunch and I can't imaging running a whole marathon in that heat!  The friends that I am tracking are slowing down and one appears to be mostly walking (he hates the heat!).

2012-04-16 6:59 PM
in reply to: #4150086

User image

Veteran
South Shore, MA
Erincsg - 2012-04-14 8:21 AM

@N - I think that would be great if you plan on a sprint for August!  The SheROX event was a lot of fun, very spirited crowd, lots of newbies. 

This OWS on the cape looks fun!!    There are 0.5mi, 1mi, and 3 mi events, only $25. 23rd Annual “Cape Cod” Open Water Super Swim, Saturday, June 23rd, 2012

http://www.mashpeerec.com/documents/reg.2012.pdf

i would totally do this, but have the Cohasset Tri the following day (24th)!  i love OWS...  keep me posted if you see any more of these!!

2012-04-17 5:17 PM

User image

Finally took the time to sign up for Sharon, This should get me on track!
2012-04-17 5:34 PM
in reply to: #4156802

User image

Veteran
South Shore, MA

TriB4Bride - 2012-04-17 6:17 PM Finally took the time to sign up for Sharon, This should get me on track!

yay, i've registered for sharon, too!!  maybe we could meet up for some practice swim/bike/runs in the weeks leading up to the race!

2012-04-17 5:39 PM
in reply to: #4156823

User image

kpringle - 2012-04-17 6:34 PM

TriB4Bride - 2012-04-17 6:17 PM Finally took the time to sign up for Sharon, This should get me on track!

yay, i've registered for sharon, too!!  maybe we could meet up for some practice swim/bike/runs in the weeks leading up to the race!

I would definitely be up for that!

2012-04-17 6:33 PM

User image

Veteran
South Shore, MA

I just registered for a 10K in Norwell - it's call Evan's Run - the objective of the race is to raise money for autism awareness.  The race is on Sunday, May 20th at 10:30am.

Here's the website if you want to check it out:www.evanhenry.org/

I ran it last year and it was great!!  TONS of great, free food before and after the race - burgers, sausage, fruit, chips, etc. It was a great race to bring my kids to - they had a bouncy house and MyGym set up an obstacle course for the kids to do.  There's also a short kids run/race before the gun goes off for the official race. They have a 5K walk and 5K run option if you're not up for the 10K run.  It was a really pretty, scenic course through Norwell! 

Edited by kpringle 2012-04-17 6:34 PM
2012-04-18 8:26 AM

Uxbridge
Kristen, I am probably going to do Evans run too!
2012-04-20 7:37 AM

User image

Princeton
Norwell is a little far for me. I'd like to start with Saturday mornings at the t. They have a 9 am running group At greendale. I think running with a group would be good for me. I've ways liked team sports. Nancy
2012-04-20 8:14 AM
in reply to: #4162249

User image

Princeton

Ahem, I meant to say YMCA. The Greendale apparently has a running group that meets by the workout area at 9 a.m. and goes outside for a run. I'm going to give it a try tomorrow.

2012-04-20 1:14 PM
in reply to: #4157703

User image

Veteran
South Shore, MA

mav - 2012-04-18 9:26 AM Kristen, I am probably going to do Evans run too!

Yay, fantastic!!

2012-04-27 9:02 PM

User image

Veteran
South Shore, MA

So I need some advice...  I just went to register for a 1/2 marathon which is held in NY in October.  I did it last year and loved it.  It is held in Albany, which is where my family is and where I grew up.  I even ran with some friends that I went to high school with.  It was a fun family/school reunion and we all totally had a blast!  We promised we would run it together every year, blah, blah, blah (after experiencing runner's high and drinking a post-race beer).  Well, I just found out registration has been capped and they are no longer taking names for the wait list either!  I'm so completely bummed b/c I really had my heart set on running this race again this year.  I did not even consider that it could be sold out so early (like 6 months early!).  I think it sold out in September last year so I figured I had plenty of time.

So here's my question to you, friends.  They also offer a full marathon option and registration is still open for that.  Or I could run a different 1/2 marathon the very same weekend in Boston - the BAA 1/2 on October 7th.  I'm kind of leaning toward the full marathon in NY b/c I LOVED the course (of the 1/2 last year) and maybe this could be a good challenge for me???  I still have a full 5+ months to train and just ran a 1/2 in March.  Any words of advice would be greatly appreciated!  Thanks! 

Have a great weekend!!
2012-04-28 6:59 AM

Uxbridge

Kristen,

You certainly have enough time to train for the full. If you want to finish with your NY peeps you could register for the full and then just run the half! I am assuming the half and the full are the same route ( the full just being 2 loops). Fall marathons are great and it should be very colorful in upstate NY that time of year!!! DO IT!!!!

2012-05-01 4:51 PM

User image

Been quiet around here, Everyone must be bust training Laughing

Absolutely feel more focused, have gotten a bit of a schedule going so that is helpful.  Getting the fever!

Just registered for another Race, Mill City in Lowell on July 8th. Plain Old Sprint Tri for me. (there are international and aquabike options).  Still contemplating a 3rd, maybe Buzzards Bay? My summer schedule is already quite full so its not so much the event I can pick but the date. and I am curious about the water temp.

Was googling wetsuits last week but trying to stem my enthusiasm and see how things pan out this year. Any short girl "athena" size suit recs?

I have still yet to get on my actual bike though Embarassed.  I think I may have to start out on my old mountain bike and get comfortable, my road bike is to tall for me and I am still scared of it. (that being said my one bad bike incident was on a mountain bike).

I was also "confronted" by a friend who just signed up for the Hampton Rockfest 1/2 marathon at the end of September, trying to get me to join up.  Not sure sure about that one yet!

Hope everyone is doing well!

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Mav's Massachusetts Mentor Group/Full for the Season Rss Feed  

of 23