BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Jenny (jsnowash)'s Spring Guinea Pig Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 23

2012-07-09 12:56 PM
in reply to: #4124019

User image

Veteran
Miles City, Montana
Subject: RE: Jenny (jsnowash)'s Spring Guinea Pig Group - CLOSED

Hey- GP's - hope you all had a wonderful weekend. 

Brian - best wishes on your upcoming race.  I am sure that your intentional training will pay off.

I did a bike run brick on Sunday that kicked my butt in the heat.  I sat in the yard in the sprinklers after it was all done.  I swam on Saturday, but it was with the kids at a friend's backyard pool so the swimming was mostly turns.

2012-07-09 9:23 PM

Hey all.  Came home from work today, and let's put it this way...I needed to burn off some stress/angst, so I took a run tonight.  Not sure it fits into my taper week schedule, but who cares.  I ran 6.3 miles and averaged 8:13/mile, which for me is pretty good (especially for an evening run).  I guess stress/angst is just as a good as any gel/shot block.  In any case, the run went well and I feel pretty good.  

Less than 6 days until my HIM, so I'll really need to focus on rest and getting my body into race shape.  Hopefully the rest of my taper week goes smoothly.

How's everybody healing?  Jaycee?  Heather?  Jeff?  Mitch?

Hope everyone is well.

Brian

2012-07-10 2:22 PM

User image

Veteran
Miles City, Montana

Short 45 minute run this morning.  I am considering another OWS in the wetsuit tonight if the lightening does not make any appearances.  I hate to be in the water with a storm brewing! 

Happy training, folks!

2012-07-11 11:07 AM

User image

Expert
Boise, Idaho

Hey GPs,

Training has been kinda spotty for me lately.  Finally had to have rib looked at; of course I get the usual..."yep, you hurt your rib-nothing we can really do about it.  Should be better in a few weeks."  Duh! Thanks, doc!   Actually the x-ray revealed a seperation/ shifting of the cartilage between the ribs (ribs don't dislocate-the cartilage does).  Anyhoo, I can only do something about every other day, then heal for a day, repeat etc.  Got a decent OWS in yesterday.  Haven't had any anxiety issues, so that's good.  All in all I'm in 'decent' shape, but I'm not in 'race' shape yet...And races are fast approaching. 

Hope everyone is well.  Stay cool and hydrated. 

And thoughts and prayers to the 1000s of firefighters working to protect our homes and play areas.

2012-07-11 2:10 PM

User image

Veteran
Miles City, Montana

Jeff - ugh, sorry to hear about the rib cartilage thing - no belly laughing for you, I bet.

I did a ho-hum bike ride this morning.  I had decent time, just got a little bored.  I did see a rattlesnake in the morning sun on the road and that definitely perked me up!

2012-07-13 1:05 PM

User image

Veteran
Miles City, Montana

Well, Brian, I am not sure what has happened to the rest of our group - but here is wishing you a great weekend race.  I hope your swim is uneventful and your legs are strong!

I have been plugging along with daily mileage and such things.  I am definitely getting more comfortable with OWS, but will be glad when I have this race done so I know how it works in real time. 

My OWS options are tough to come by.  I have been swimming in our local "oasis" which serves as our town's public pool.  It is just a big reservoir that the city fills with river water - can you say, redneck?!  It is a dirt pit that has sand hauled in and is roped off for kid swimming.  There are ducks, cattail reeds and other vegetation along the edge so it has some bio-filtration and I have been told they treat the water for the swimmers.  Nonetheless, it is very murky and basically kind of gross.  We have had 2 weeks of 100+ heat so the water is really growing stuff.  I swim on the other side of the docks to avoid the kids, but I think I need to go back to the chlorinated pool soon.  Despite hitting the showers at home right away after swimming, I am feeling a little itchy today - YUCK.Frown

2012-07-13 1:36 PM

User image

Expert
Boise, Idaho

@Brian-I didn't forget your race.  I was waiting until today to say Good Luck! 

@Janette-All the local swimming holes get kind of 'funky'.  I am guessing your city is checking the water regularly for e coli and other really harmful stuff.  We have a nice little race here in August that I refuse to do because the pond is so full of goose crap by then that I just can't fathom taking a mouthful of it. 

As for the rest of the group.....who knows where we have scattered.  Our training logs are looking kinda sparse, too.  Oh, well.  Very few Mentor Groups survive the whole season intact.

I'll keep posting as long as other people are posting.  Cool

2012-07-13 2:15 PM

@Janette and Jeff - Thanks!!  Less than 40 hours to go until the gun goes off...I'm getting really excited.  I'm sure some nerves will kick-in on Sunday morning, but right now, it's all about packing and logistics.  The weather looks like it'll be pretty hot, but not as hot as last year, so that's good.  I'll let you how it goes.  

In terms of the group, it's definitely kinda quiet around here.  That said, I'm around and will continue to stay involved as long as other folks are....my final race of the year isn't until early November, so my season has a ways to go.

I'll be offline until Monday or Tuesday...see y'all then.

Have a good weekend.

Brian

2012-07-15 11:03 PM

New user
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

Hey G-pigs,

Brian - how was the race?

I'm still here, lurking more than posting, but I am reading everything posted to the group!

It has been so hot here that training has become difficult.  I find it is so hot that the only options are to go really early in the morning, or after sunset. 

This morning didn't feel so bad (as I sat on my front porch watching the racers in the local Olympic-distance triathlon race by my house), so I decided to go for a run.  To make it more interesting, I decided to make it a trail run at a local conservation area. I arrived to see a bunch of signs indicating that there was a black bear sighting there yesterday.  I ran anyways, just making sure to keep singing along to my ipod to avoid sneaking up on any bears. 

It was muggy. The air temps didn't seem so bad when I was sitting still, but as soon as I started to move, it just felt crazy hot. I ran 2.6 slow miles and (to my disappointment) saw no bears. Frown After the run, I had just enough time to jump in the pool to cool off before heading to soccer. Soccer was also crazy-hot.  Plan for the week is a bike ride and softball game tomorrow; a short run and soccer practice on Tuesday; swimming and soccer game on Wednesday; and biking and running on Thursday.

I'll try to post more often, but if I don't, please remember that I'm still here, cheering you all on silently. Smile

2012-07-16 10:43 AM

Hey all - quick race report....

Race went really well yesterday, I shattered my result from last year.  Finished the HIM in 6:22.  The weather was really odd - water too warm for wetsuits, air temps in the 70s, dark skies/thunder/lightning/hard rain for half of the bike leg, light rain for a healthy portion of the run and then blue skies and puffy clouds in the afternoon.  Very strange.

Long story short, I'm very pleased with my result.

More later...

2012-07-16 12:25 PM

User image

Veteran
Miles City, Montana

Brian - good deal - looking forward to race report. 

I am in taper week - I am planning on 3 swims with the last in my wetsuit at the lake and some easy bike/run bricks.  I really think following biking with running, even if it is short, has helped me get past the lead leg syndrome.  They still feel sluggish, but for less time.  The weather has been so hot that I wonder if the water temp will make it difficult to wear a wetsuit on race day.  It would be nice to not have to struggle out of the body condom (my husband's nickname for the wetsuit!) in transition, but I think I like the secure feeling it gives me in open water. 

2012-07-16 12:32 PM

User image

Expert
Boise, Idaho

@Brian-Great Job!  Anxious to read your race report.

@Janette-I like to do little 'mini-bricks' after my bike rides.  It just get you comfortable with the dead leg feeling.  You'll be in a way better place, mentally, than most of your competitors.  They'll be freaking out because they're legs feel sooo tired. 

Me-I've been doing a little bit here, a bit there.  Rib still gimpy after a swim, but it's my work schedule that's killing me.  I'm starting a 12 day STRAIGHT work schedule.  AND, my first race of the year is on the 13th day.  I may be re-thinking that. 

2012-07-16 8:27 PM

Hey all,

Here’s my race report from yesterday’s race (btw, it's a bit long...).  The race was the Musselman Triathlon.  It’s a half-ironman race in Geneva, NY, on the northern tip of Seneca Lake, one of the Finger Lakes in Upstate NY.

Had a decent night sleep on Saturday night in the athlete's village/dorms, but 4:30 wake-up calls are never easy.  After a nice cup of Tim Horton's coffee and my usual pre-race breakfast, I drove to the race site to set-up my gear.  The temperature of the lake was really nice – just over 78 degrees, so according to USAT rules, wetsuits are not permitted.  This caused a lot of folks some pre-race headaches, but I wasn’t planning to swim in a wetsuit anyway, so no big deal for me. 

My swim leg went ok.  I beat my time from last year by a minute or so.  I was hoping to do better than that, but the lake was a bit choppy, and that slowed me down a little...but that's much of an excuse.  I think I need to work on sighting and do more OWS practice.  All that said, the swim is my weak leg, so I was just glad to get back on dry land with a respectable time to move onto the bike leg.  

The bike leg is where things got interesting.  The first part of the bike leg is generally uphill, though it’s a long gentle uphill climb.  I felt pretty good and had a good pace going.  My bike was great, my legs were feeling good and I was eating and drinking according to my nutrition plan.  So far, so good.  But around mile 20, the sky got very dark and it started to rain.  And when I say rain, I mean thunder, lightning and hard rain.  Bolts of lightning were fairly close and visibility dropped to about 50 yards at best.  I tried to maintain my speed and nutrition plan, though that was a bit hard given the terrible conditions.  (I found out later that the National Weather Service issued a severe thunderstorm warning and advised people to seek shelter.)  The thunder/lightning part passed in about 30-ish minutes, but it continued to rain for the next 30ish minutes.  Needless to say, I was soaked.  By the end of the bike leg, the rain pretty much stopped, so that was good.  But in terms of my time on the bike leg, I beat last year’s time by almost 30 minutes.  Woohoo!  So far, so good.

Luckily I decided to put my running shoes and a fresh pair of socks in a plastic shopping bag before the race started, so when I got to T2, my shoes and shocks were nice and dry!  The run leg started well.  I got into a decent rhythm early on.  That said, after a few miles and a decent sized hill, I didn’t think my legs had enough in them to run the full half-marathon at that pace, so I decided to do a run/fast walk mix.  Fast walk up hills, and run the rest of the way.  That seemed to work well.  I was tiring quickly by mile 7 (ie. big hill), but the run/fast walk mix kept me moving along at a good pace.  I got to mile 12 feeling fairly "decent" (ie. not too bad), but that last mile felt SO LONG.  I was so happy to get close to the finishing line and see the crowds.  My run leg this year was almost 35 minutes faster than last year…yeah!  (And if I had the strength to run the whole way...I might have been within striking distance of a 6 hour finish.  Oh well, there's always next year.)

My goal this year was to finish under 7 hours, and I did much better than that.  My total time this year was 6:22, so I knocked the ball out of the park.  I am so happy with my time.  It’s a great feeling to shatter my goal, not just beat it.  I guess my improved training plan, new nutrition plan and better race-day execution all worked to perfection.  Not sure I can beat my time next year by an hour, but for now, I’m savoring yesterday’s result and simply trying to rehydrate and recover. 

So, that's the report.  I do have a few lessons learned, which may be helpful to the group, that I'll put in another message.

(Hope this wasn't too much detail or too long.)

2012-07-16 9:07 PM

So, here's a few lessons learned from yesterday's race:

[Note - I just re-read my original posting...yikes, it was all over the map, so I made some edits.]

1.  I broke one of the cardinal rules of race day nutrition - don't change anything on race day that you haven't tried in practice.  Well, I did.  I knew I needed some better fluids, so I tried the Clif Shot Electrolyte drink.  I made a bottle the day before to test the flavor, but I hadn't used it during training, so I wasn't sure what to expect.  During the race, I felt like it delivered the energy and electrolytes as promised.  Great stuff.  I also tried a new eating plan on the bike.  Clif shot block every 20 mins for hrs 1 and 2 and Clif bar pieces every 20 minutes for hr 3.  That seemed to work well too.   LESSON LEARNED - take in a lot of advice on nutrition plans, but trust yourself - only you know what your stomach can usually handle.  If I had time, I would have tested my nutrition, but that was a luxury that I didn't have.   

2.  If you live off the course, you may not like what they have, so do your best to bring your own.  I was feeling great when I controlled my nutrition (see #1 above), but faded when I had other products.  I'm sure this is partly why I started to feel increasingly drained on the run.  LESSON LEARNED -  for now on, I plan to be more self-sufficient in terms of nutrition, esp on the run leg.

3.  Be prepared for the unexpected.  My timing chip fell off my ankle early in the swim.  I felt it come off and I wasn't sure if I should look for it or not, but made a split second decision to let it go.   In any case, a nice girl in the same wave my caught it, got my attention a few second later and handed it back to me.  Thanks to whoever she was - that was really nice of you.  And obviously the weather....yikes.  That was some storm.  LESSON LEARNED - be flexible, you never know what will happen in a race.

I hope these edited lessons learned make more sense.  I guess typing late at night after a HIM isn't a wise idea.

Edited by LarchmontTri 2012-07-17 12:36 PM
2012-07-17 12:57 PM

User image

Veteran
Miles City, Montana

Brian, great race report.  I especially liked all the details - us Type A folks usually do!  Wow, what amazing time improvement even with the weather and the walking.  I am impressed.  It seems that you must have had incredible focus throughout the entire race.  Great job!

I just checked out the weather report for my race this weekend - 104 on Saturday and 102 on race day - which means even though we start at 6:30, it won't really be cooled during the night.  Yikes.  I hadn't planned any particular nutrition since it is only a sprint, but I am thinking I may add some electrolyte juice to my little bag on the bike.  I was only planning on water on the bike and one of the run stations. 

2012-07-17 1:14 PM

User image

Expert
Boise, Idaho

Brian-Great Job.  That was a race report I actually enjoyed reading.

I know you overcame some strains/sprains along the way, but you still totally KILLED that race.  I'm envious and, frankly, a bbit jealous.  I need to get off my A$$ and get serious.  WELL DONE!

@Janette-I don't know if I would add any electrolytes.  Sprint distance races don't last too terribly long.  If your nutrition/fluid intact is balanced and healthy and think you'll be fine with just water.  But a tiny bit of something certainly wouldn't hurt.  Good Luck.

2012-07-18 8:19 AM

User image

Veteran

Excellent HIM Brian.  You've got me thinking about doing my first HIM next year.  (This way I can blame it on you!)

I ran a pretty good Wave Run this morning.  I've been doing nothing but Base Building and it was time for me to start adding in some Tempo miles, so I decided on a Wave run today.  (For those not familiar with a Wave Run, this is where, after a sufficient warm up, you alternate "On" and "Off" miles at 10K pace or there abouts.)

8 miles total with miles 3, 5, and 7 "On".  These came in at 7:56, 7:40, and 7:50 paces.  Not bad.  Pretty much right on/near my 10K pace.  I was pretty tuckered out on that last one, but they'll get easier as I do them weekly.

Bill

2012-07-18 11:41 AM

User image

Veteran
Miles City, Montana

Bill - thanks for the explanation of the Wave run - that sounds like an engaging way to keep your mind on the run for a longer distance.  Blistering paces you set too, in my book.

I swam at the pool - thank you chlorine - last night and swam the sprint distance 3X, but with different breaks.  I needed to have it clear in my head that I can make the distance.  I did a bike/run brick this morning that felt good.  I have read everywhere on here that you need to do at least once in practice anything that you will do in a race - so in that spirit, I biked and ran in this funky tri-suit thing I bought.  Did I say that I went very early this morning?!  I have decided to swim without a wetsuit because of the heat so that changed what I planned to wear.  (Yes, I overthink everything.)  The tri-suit may be the ticket because it is pretty streamlined - even if I feel a little dorky wearing body hugging spandex.  My typical gear is running shorts and a baggy t-shirt!!

2012-07-18 12:22 PM

@Janette, Jeff and Bill - thanks!  It was a great day out for me.  All my training and planning seemed to pay off, so that was good.  Still, there are things to improve on, so hopefully my next race will go even better.

Janette - I'm sure you'll do great in your upcoming race.  You've been training alot and seem ready to go...trust your training, and oh yeah, enjoy the experience.  Race day can be chaotic, but don't forget to have fun too.  

Jeff - how's your rib doing? Hopefully you're back to 100% before long.  

Bill - I'll take the blame, no worries!

Heather - I met a number of folks from Ottawa at my race this past weekend.  Since the race is in upstate NY, alot of folks from ON and QC come down to the race, but I was surprised how many there were from Ottawa.  There's a Tim Horton's in town, but that can't be it...

In any case, my next race is IMFL, so I have to get back to training soon.  Early November is right around the corner...

Hope everyone is having a great Wednesday.

2012-07-20 12:23 PM

User image

Veteran
Miles City, Montana

Happy Friday!  I did a nice easy swim last night and easy run this morning.  All feels good.  I have a golf game planned for this evening, but the 106 degree heat may make me rethink the fun in that. 

My race is Sunday and we are traveling Saturday.  I am setting out my transitions tonight.  I have my checklist.  I am liquid loading today.  I am excited.  I will be very glad not to be a newbie. 

Have a great weekend!

2012-07-21 5:06 PM

@Janette - good luck tomorrow!  I'm sure you'll do great!

2012-07-22 6:59 PM

Hey all - today was back to training.  I took a week off after last week's HIM, so today was the day I put my running shoes back on...and I have to admit, it felt great.  I ran 6.1 miles on a different course that I usually run, and I really pushed myself in terms of speed.  Averaged just about 7:55 miles.  Long story short, it was a great run and it felt great to be training again.  12-ish weeks until IMFL, and I know there will be alot of bumps along the way in terms of training, but it felt good to re-start training with such a good run.

Also, anybody have advice on how to select a wetsuit?  I'm in the market for my first wetsuit, so I figured I would see if anyone here has some sage advice.  The one that I'm most interested in (right now) is the Nineteen Pipeline, but am also intrigued by the Xterra Vortex.  Any opinions, views, and/or lessons learned when you bought your wetsuit?  

@Janette - hope today's race went well!

2012-07-23 9:57 AM

User image

Veteran

(Drumming Fingers)

Okay Janette, not so patiently waiting. How did it go?  Deets please!

Bill

2012-07-23 10:57 AM

User image

Master

Hi all - apologize for being absent the last # of weeks.  We went on vacation for a week and I've just been waiting for my leg to heal and cycling/swimming when my schedule permitted.

I received the all clear to "try" running from my Doc last  Fri with the mandate that if any pain I should stop.  I found a Pfitzinger plan online for retruning to running after a stress fracture.  My first work out was this morning and was 10 minutes walking, 5 minutes running, 5 minutes walking, 10 minutes running.  Running obviously at a very easy pace.  No pain, could tell the tendon is still a bit sore.  I need to be more focused on my strength and flexibility exercises for my tendon.  But, the good thing was no pain where the stress fracture was.  I ran on a cushioned track as well.  Pretty happy to be running again.

2012-07-23 12:12 PM

User image

Veteran
Miles City, Montana

Hey, GP's - No, I didn't drown!  And wonderfully, I didn't even panic.  I was the very last person to go into the water from the beach because I wanted on outside spot.  (My son said later, he thought I was chickening out!)  I don't think that was the best idea because I did have to pass some people which really changed how I sighted and swam.  I swam the first 200 m freestyle, but then switched to breast stroke and side stroke.  I did do some freestyle throughout, but I never felt like I could gain any traction. The water felt like pea soup.  I opted not to wear the wetsuit because of heat, but about 1/2 the field wore wetsuits.  I think it would have helped to have the buoyancy.  It was an 800 m swim with a 100 m dash across the beach at the 1/2 way point.  It was good to get out of the water for the little dash, but it was odd too.  I finished the swim in the last 1/4 of swimmers, but that was okay for me.  9/11 in AG.

I was really pleased with my transitions.  I was very organized and methodic and both transitions were 1/11 in AG - thank you BT.  I practiced and executed there pretty well.

My favorite leg was the biking.  I was able to pass some people.  It was an out and back loop so the hills going out were a push coming back.  I was happy with my leg here, but I think I could have pushed a little harder. 4/11 in AG

Transition to running felt fine - I only had wooden legs for a couple minutes.  It was helpful to know that would pass.  I did pass a couple folks walking in the first mile.   I never really felt like I could speed up on the run, but the last mile was definitely hard so I felt good that I ran to the end.  One thing I didn't realize about this course was it was 4km of dirt trail/gravel road and 1 km pavement.  I usually run all pavement so that was an adjustment for me.  It shouldn't make a difference, but it seemed harder for some reason.  I had one big hill at the end and I thought specifically about watching the crest, lifting my arms and attacking the hill - thank you mentor group.  6/11 in AG

I finished 5/11 in AG and 47/90 overall - decidedly MOP.  My finish time was about where I predicted to myself.  I was satisfied.  I never doubted my ability to finish, but I did doubt my ability to go "all out" the whole time.  I don't think I went "all out" for me this time but I came pretty close.   What that means is ..... next time ..... 

In the meantime, I am going on vacation, getting a swimming lesson or four, running more (entering a half marathon this fall), and sticking with the training plan I have going in my head.

Race report concluded, but triathlon training just beginning!  I do want to thank all of you for your tips and support in this mentor group.  I thought of many of the things I have learned from the group throughout the race.  I felt very prepared thanks to many of you!

Have a great week!

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Jenny (jsnowash)'s Spring Guinea Pig Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 23