BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Oriolepwr and QuincyF's Magical Mys-tri Tour "The Sequel" -On Tour!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 51

2012-05-21 7:56 PM
in reply to: #4221673

User image

Master
St. Louis
Subject: RE: Oriolepwr and QuincyF's Magical Mys-tri Tour "The Sequel"-OPEN
oriolepwr - 2012-05-21 7:12 PM
ransick - 2012-05-20 8:26 PM
oriolepwr - 2012-05-20 2:15 PM

fitmomma2010 - 2012-05-19 4:13 PM
ransick - 2012-05-19 9:50 AM Who is racing this weekend?  I have an Oly tomorrow.
Wish I were. We have my 25 year high school reunion. Geesh I'm getting old. Good Luck tomorrow. Shelly

Mike-Hope it went well.  Pretty sure you killed it.  c'mon back and let us know!

Shells-   You are a Young un    My 30 year reunion was not too long ago!

Missed a PR by under two minutes.  It was brutally, hot but I lost my time on the swim and T1, and improved on the bike and run.  

Mike  I have a buddy on the STL area and he did the same tri as you did I think.   Also said how brutal the temp was.   We had both raced  Branson 70.3   together in the most awful brutal  stamina sucking,  heat that I can imagine.     I asked him how it compared.  he said it was close to that Branson day.   very close.      So supreme work/effort you did to do so well!   Congrats bud!     Did you have a few beers after?    Bet that would have been FIIIIIIIIINEEE    after all that heat/effort.

I volunteered at Branson two years ago when the heat was awful.  I think Branson was about 5 degrees hotter.  

I didn't have any beers until that evening when I had a cookout.  I didn't feel well for a while after the race.  I lost about 5% of my body weight and really felt crappy until about dinner time.  I need to learn to take in more fluid.  

2012-05-21 8:31 PM
in reply to: #4221750

User image

Master
Gurnee, IL
ransick - 2012-05-21 7:56 PM

ransick - 2012-05-19 9:50 AM Who is racing this weekend?  I have an Oly tomorrow.
Wish I were. We have my 25 year high school reunion. Geesh I'm getting old. Good Luck tomorrow. Shelly

Mike-Hope it went well.  Pretty sure you killed it.  c'mon back and let us know!

Missed a PR by under two minutes.  It was brutally, hot but I lost my time on the swim and T1, and improved on the bike and run.  

Mike  I have a buddy on the STL area and he did the same tri as you did I think.   Also said how brutal the temp was.   We had both raced  Branson 70.3   together in the most awful brutal  stamina sucking,  heat that I can imagine.     I asked him how it compared.  he said it was close to that Branson day.   very close.      So supreme work/effort you did to do so well!   Congrats bud!     Did you have a few beers after?    Bet that would have been FIIIIIIIIINEEE    after all that heat/effort.

I volunteered at Branson two years ago when the heat was awful.  I think Branson was about 5 degrees hotter.  

That was the day!  what station did you volunteer at??   That was crazy hot. 

I didn't have any beers until that evening when I had a cookout.  I didn't feel well for a while after the race.  I lost about 5% of my body weight and really felt crappy until about dinner time.  I need to learn to take in more fluid.  

Woah  ya  that need to take in fluid thing is tricky.  Even though you KNOW its hot its hard to tell just how much you need.  

2012-05-21 8:47 PM
in reply to: #4221667

User image

Master
St. Louis
Ybeal - 2012-05-21 7:09 PM

Well, made it through the Warrior Dash, SO MUCH FUN!!!!  I'm a little battered and bruised but I'd do it again in a heartbeat   Only downside is that it contributed to me skipping my sprint the next day, I was so stiff I worried that it would be too much for my shin, so I thought it smarter to skip it.

What I didn't realize that Warrior Dash is an EVENT so I wish I had hunkered down and stayed for the day, drinking, eating, watching the chaos and listening to the bands! Alas, the very patient kiddos weren't down for that, but next time I definitely will!

Congrats!  I heard those are a lot a fun.

2012-05-21 8:53 PM
in reply to: #4221803

User image

Master
St. Louis
oriolepwr - 2012-05-21 8:31 PM

Woah  ya  that need to take in fluid thing is tricky.  Even though you KNOW its hot its hard to tell just how much you need.  

I did body marking both days and was the last volunteer on the bike out.  Both were a blast.  Watching the range of athletes going out on the bike course was an interesting experience.  I went through an wide range of emotions watching people leave the bike 

Pros -> Amazing athletes

Top AGer's -> I'll never be that fast

FOP -> Wow these guys and girls are fast, maybe this isn't for me after all

MOP -> Hey, I can relate to some of these athletes

BOP -> I guess I can do this after all

DNF -> sad seeing people miss the swim cutoff

It was also really cool doing body marking seeing the range of people's emotions from "this ain't no big thing" to "I'm scared to death" to "I'm in the zone". I actually burned my knee kneeling on the extremely hot asphalt.   

2012-05-21 9:23 PM
in reply to: #4221846

User image

Master
Gurnee, IL
ransick - 2012-05-21 8:53 PM

I did body marking both days and was the last volunteer on the bike out.  Both were a blast.  Watching the range of athletes going out on the bike course was an interesting experience.  I went through an wide range of emotions watching people leave the bike 

Pros -> Amazing athletes

It was also really cool doing body marking seeing the range of people's emotions from "this ain't no big thing" to "I'm scared to death" to "I'm in the zone". I actually burned my knee kneeling on the extremely hot asphalt.   

What a beautiful transition area that was.      Sounds like you got a lot out of the volunteering.    Some day that was. 

That was a fun trip.    We hit Lambert's on the way down for some throw'd biscuits   I'm sure you know the place.   Stayed right next to    Silver dollar city which we went to with the kiddos.  

That bike course was H-A-R-D  and scary.    But it was awesome having a closed highway to ride on.  Not sure If I remember the speed accurately or not but some of those downhills were over 50MPH!! 

If you want to re-live a bit of that day  here is a nice video.    ( I'm in it too last bike 3:10-3:14)

Branson Vid  

Not a course to PR on   but it was MEMORABLE   I want to do that one again!   Maybe next year?   want to do it?

2012-05-22 7:05 AM
in reply to: #4128570

User image

Veteran
West Palm Beach
Wow!mcongrats to all you racers on this past weekend! I did an "Orangetheory class" yesterday, kicked my butt! Has anyone tried this before?Happy week to everyone :-).....Alicia

2012-05-22 7:39 AM

User image

Veteran

Ok, so my wetsuit rental finally showed up yesterday.  Later than I thought would.  The email said it would be a brand new one and I should break it in.  Unfortunately I wont have time.  The funniest thing about it though -  It's an ORCA WETSUIT!

They're plotting against me I tell 'ya.

And for the other crowd..

2012-05-22 8:09 AM

User image

Veteran
Missoula

Tom, 

Rock the Orca. Wear it proud.

What model is it? I have been looking at Orca suits. I'm interested in your opinion once you get to try it out. 

2012-05-22 8:29 AM

User image

Veteran
Missoula

Ok fellow tourists, I need some advise.

My foot is still bothering me. I have only ran once in the last couple of weeks. I did 3 miles and it felt good, but the next day it was swollen and had the same pain. I am icing the crap out of it, but I think it needs more time. Not sure I have much time. The half marathon is 6 weeks out. I guess i'm feeling stuck. Can I keep my cardio and running stamina up by biking? What type of biking is better for simulating running? Mashing up hills? Spinning for a long ride? I have built up all year for this marathon and I feels like it is slipping away. 

Here is my running schedule for the HM:

Mon Wed  Thurs  Sat

5/21    3    5       3        8

5/27   3       5       3       10

6/3   4       5       4       11

6/10    4       6       4        12

6/17    4       5       4        9

6/24    3       4       3        8

7/1   3       3       2        13.1    

Any ideas on how I can substitute those miles? I'm hoping that the swelling will subside soon and I could get back with the program. Just looking to bridge the gap.

Thanks!

2012-05-22 8:58 AM
in reply to: #4221667

User image

Veteran
Ocean Springs, MS
Ybeal - 2012-05-21 8:09 PM

Well, made it through the Warrior Dash, SO MUCH FUN!!!!  I'm a little battered and bruised but I'd do it again in a heartbeat   Only downside is that it contributed to me skipping my sprint the next day, I was so stiff I worried that it would be too much for my shin, so I thought it smarter to skip it.

What I didn't realize that Warrior Dash is an EVENT so I wish I had hunkered down and stayed for the day, drinking, eating, watching the chaos and listening to the bands! Alas, the very patient kiddos weren't down for that, but next time I definitely will!

I love that picture!! Congrats on completing it. I've been wanting to do one of those...one day!!

2012-05-22 9:00 AM
in reply to: #4222195

User image

Veteran
Ocean Springs, MS

trirun26 - 2012-05-22 8:05 AM Wow!mcongrats to all you racers on this past weekend! I did an "Orangetheory class" yesterday, kicked my butt! Has anyone tried this before?Happy week to everyone :-).....Alicia

Hi Alicia!! I had to look that one up!! That looks pretty intense...not something I would get my butt up to doWink

2012-05-22 9:08 AM
in reply to: #4222341

User image

Veteran
Ocean Springs, MS
Lesandtj - 2012-05-22 9:29 AM

Ok fellow tourists, I need some advise.

My foot is still bothering me. I have only ran once in the last couple of weeks. I did 3 miles and it felt good, but the next day it was swollen and had the same pain. I am icing the crap out of it, but I think it needs more time. Not sure I have much time. The half marathon is 6 weeks out. I guess i'm feeling stuck. Can I keep my cardio and running stamina up by biking? What type of biking is better for simulating running? Mashing up hills? Spinning for a long ride? I have built up all year for this marathon and I feels like it is slipping away. 

Here is my running schedule for the HM:

Mon Wed  Thurs  Sat

5/21    3    5       3        8

5/27   3       5       3       10

6/3   4       5       4       11

6/10    4       6       4        12

6/17    4       5       4        9

6/24    3       4       3        8

7/1   3       3       2        13.1    

Any ideas on how I can substitute those miles? I'm hoping that the swelling will subside soon and I could get back with the program. Just looking to bridge the gap.

Thanks!

TJ - I wish I could be of more help to you. I just don't know enough about biking and swimming to tell you what would simulate running the most. I really feel for you, though. I know that gnawing feeling of having an injury that you know might not be healed by the time of your race. What has your longest run to date been? If you have the miles under your belt, you might be able to take more time off completely (let the foot really rest), and get back in to your training in a couple weeks. You might also consider doing the run/walk combo if you aren't already doing that. It really takes a lot of stress off your body (ligament, muscles, joints, etc). And your times are not always slower than if you just tried to run the whole thing. I'll be sending good vibes your way....never forget the benefit of positive thinking and prayer (if that's your thing)!

2012-05-22 10:17 AM
in reply to: #4222293

User image

Veteran
Lesandtj - 2012-05-22 9:09 AM

Tom, 

What model is it? I have been looking at Orca suits. I'm interested in your opinion once you get to try it out. 

TJ,

It is an S4 sleeveless.  I tried putting on last night, fortunately no one was taking pictures - LOL. It's a size 9, doesn't do my curves justice!  Moooo hahaha

I will let you know how it goes after Saturday.  They are not easy to put on, I think I'm getting the PAM out of the kitchen later.  I'm on the lower end of the weight range for the suit I have, and it is still tight!

Film at 11 (oops, I think I aged myself again)

Tom

Edited by TLakatos1259 2012-05-22 10:19 AM
2012-05-22 10:24 AM
in reply to: #4222442

User image

Veteran
Missoula

never forget the benefit of positive thinking and prayer (if that's your thing)!

Thanks Sarah. And yes, that is my thing. If it wasn't for God's grace I wouldn't be alive, let alone living a fulfilling life. There is tremendous benefit from seeing our lives from his perspective. It makes our "issues" seem kinda silly.    (Ok, enough preaching.)

My longest run to date is 10 miles. It was a weekend long run on a full mary plan. Part of me feels like I'll be fine. If I can run 10 then 13 is doable. But now, several weeks later, I'm wondering how true that is. 

2012-05-22 10:43 AM
in reply to: #4222632

User image

Veteran
West Palm Beach
Lesandtj - 2012-05-22 11:24 AM

never forget the benefit of positive thinking and prayer (if that's your thing)!

Thanks Sarah. And yes, that is my thing. If it wasn't for God's grace I wouldn't be alive, let alone living a fulfilling life. There is tremendous benefit from seeing our lives from his perspective. It makes our "issues" seem kinda silly.    (Ok, enough preaching.)

My longest run to date is 10 miles. It was a weekend long run on a full mary plan. Part of me feels like I'll be fine. If I can run 10 then 13 is doable. But now, several weeks later, I'm wondering how true that is. 

I would suggest doing aqua jogging, I know plenty of people who have been successful training for half marathons and long triathlons doing aqua jogging during injury time. It is really hard! (sorry if this is all in one paragraph, my iPod does it this way...arggg)Alicia
2012-05-22 10:47 AM
in reply to: #4222611

User image

Veteran
West Palm Beach
TLakatos1259 - 2012-05-22 11:17 AM
Lesandtj - 2012-05-22 9:09 AM

Tom, 

TJ,

It is an S4 sleeveless.  I tried putting on last night, fortunately no one was taking pictures - LOL. It's a size 9, doesn't do my curves justice!  Moooo hahaha

I will let you know how it goes after Saturday.  They are not easy to put on, I think I'm getting the PAM out of the kitchen later.  I'm on the lower end of the weight range for the suit I have, and it is still tight!

Film at 11 (oops, I think I aged myself again)

Tom

Tom..I am not experienced with wetsuits because living in Florida it is an extremely rare occasion that we need them. But, here is a good suggestion for putting them on. Take two supermarket plastic bags and put them on your feet....then slide your foot with the bag into the wetsuit! Repeat with the next one! It's really easy. I was told pam can damage the suit ( I don't know) but I used body glide audit worked perfectly. Good luck! Do try the bags....it's funny looking but makes it easy :-)Alicia

2012-05-22 3:24 PM
in reply to: #4221906

User image

Master
St. Louis
oriolepwr - 2012-05-21 9:23 PM
ransick - 2012-05-21 8:53 PM

Pros -> Amazing athletes

What a beautiful transition area that was.      Sounds like you got a lot out of the volunteering.    Some day that was. 

That was a fun trip.    We hit Lambert's on the way down for some throw'd biscuits   I'm sure you know the place.   Stayed right next to    Silver dollar city which we went to with the kiddos.  

That bike course was H-A-R-D  and scary.    But it was awesome having a closed highway to ride on.  Not sure If I remember the speed accurately or not but some of those downhills were over 50MPH!! 

If you want to re-live a bit of that day  here is a nice video.    ( I'm in it too last bike 3:10-3:14)

Branson Vid  

Not a course to PR on   but it was MEMORABLE   I want to do that one again!   Maybe next year?   want to do it?

Cool video and really cool you are in it!

Not sure what my plans are for next year.  We'll see how I do nutrition wise on my half this year.  I'm thinking of changing my goal from going sub-6 to taking in 250 calories/hour on the bike.  I know they shouldn't be mutually exclusive, but they seem to be for me at this point.

2012-05-22 3:31 PM
in reply to: #4222689

User image

Master
St. Louis
trirun26 - 2012-05-22 10:43 AM
Lesandtj - 2012-05-22 11:24 AM

I would suggest doing aqua jogging, I know plenty of people who have been successful training for half marathons and long triathlons doing aqua jogging during injury time. It is really hard! (sorry if this is all in one paragraph, my iPod does it this way...arggg)Alicia

I think aqua jogging is a great idea.  I was going to say elliptical but aqua jogging is probably better.

2012-05-22 3:50 PM

User image

Veteran
Missoula
Subject: RE: Oriolepwr and QuincyF's Magical Mys-tri Tour "The Sequel" -On Tour!!

Thanks for the aqua jogging suggestion. I'll give it a shot. 

Lifeguard 1: "What is going on over there? Should we save him?"

Lifeguard 2: "No, he's been thrashing around for 2 hours. I think it's aqua jogging."

2012-05-22 4:15 PM
in reply to: #4223583

User image

Master
Gurnee, IL
Subject: RE: Oriolepwr and QuincyF's Magical Mys-tri Tour "The Sequel" -On Tour!!
Lesandtj - 2012-05-22 3:50 PM

Lifeguard 2: "No, he's been thrashing around for 2 hours. I think it's aqua jogging."

Aqua jogging is good! If have watched "spirit of the marathon" Deena Kastor is shown aqua jogging to maintain fitmess. Our own royal "Q" ness Used aqua jogging as well. Me? Ok when nursing injuries on a couple of marathon training schedules i ised the elliptical like mike said. No impact and very very much lie running. Cycling is always helpful Its going to be going long distance to keep your body efficiently using fat for fuel that will help. If i were you id water jog or elip, bike lots The bike is good for your engine but you will still feel the lack of running.One rule of thumb i follow re:running. Your last long run your body will remember for one day per mile. So if you ran 10 miles 10 days ago you are in shape to run 10 in a slightly easier effort. Every day after that point you are deteriorating on your long run to some degree. So 20 mile run in a marathon plan effects can be felt for 3 weeks which not coincidentally is where marathon plans typically begin tapering.
2012-05-22 4:19 PM
in reply to: #4223642

User image

Master
Gurnee, IL
Ha thats what a reply is like on an ipad while driving 75 in traffic on 294 hustling to get to Gold's

2012-05-22 5:37 PM

User image

Veteran
Ocean Springs, MS
oriolepwr - 2012-05-22 5:15 PM

Aqua jogging is good! If have watched "spirit of the marathon" Deena Kastor is shown aqua jogging to maintain fitmess. Our own royal "Q" ness Used aqua jogging as well. Me? Ok when nursing injuries on a couple of marathon training schedules i ised the elliptical like mike said. No impact and very very much lie running. Cycling is always helpful Its going to be going long distance to keep your body efficiently using fat for fuel that will help. If i were you id water jog or elip, bike lots The bike is good for your engine but you will still feel the lack of running.One rule of thumb i follow re:running. Your last long run your body will remember for one day per mile. So if you ran 10 miles 10 days ago you are in shape to run 10 in a slightly easier effort. Every day after that point you are deteriorating on your long run to some degree. So 20 mile run in a marathon plan effects can be felt for 3 weeks which not coincidentally is where marathon plans typically begin tapering.

Alicia - Great suggestion!! I was going to mention Deena Kastor from " Spirit of the Marathon". She had a break in her foot and did aqua jogging, then went on to win the Chicago Marathon...not too shabby!!

2012-05-23 12:11 AM

User image

Expert
Albuquerque, New Mexico
oriolepwr - 2012-05-22 4:15 PM

Man, I got here late and all the beer is gone and let me see...Love the silly pix and vids, Yvonne, congrats on that crazy warrior dash, Mike good job on the race. Sarah, it might have been accidental...I think people with a swim background do that instinctively...

And...TJ...yes yes yes to Alicia's suggestion of Aquajogging...here is a link that really helped me. The claim is that for short periods of no running, water running can almost completely avoid loss of fitness. 

Plus as the veteran of a couple of accidentally undertrained races, you might be surprised how far your existing base can carry you. I don't advocate this approach and you won't PR but you can finish. You can already do 10...that doesn't evaporate over night. In fact I think it stays with us for a lot longer than people know.

And cycling can't hurt either...my instinct is to do interval training to avoid hours of noodling around (junk miles) but even noodling is better than sitting on the couch.

Let us know what you decide to do. 

And sorry your foot is injured, I know how hard that is. Owie.

sorry for the drive by post...I've been following along...DH is on nights so I'm kind of on the hook for most of the day and evening...kind of insomniac tonight so got a little time on the internets!!!

Ciao,

Q

2012-05-23 8:58 PM
in reply to: #4218602

User image

Expert
Hammond
Sarah73 - 2012-05-19 9:10 PM

So I finished my second tri today. Overall I can't complain. I missed placing by 7 seconds and some dirty race tactics, but we'll get to that in a minute. It was a reverse sprint, so I was testing out my panic in the water issue, which went surprisingly well, until I was accosted by a fellow swimmer!

I was about 100 meters from the finish, swimming quite well, with NO panic problems, when I felt someone grab my ankle and pull me backwards. I was so shocked I didn't really understand what was going on, so I stopped swimming, said sorry to the lady who did it (cause I figured I had done something wrong) then let her pass me. By the time I figured out what she was doing, it was too late for me to catch her. She had on her iron girl swim cap, and her bike was near mine with her Ironman Kona bag. I would have expected more from an Ironman. Then my husband pointed out that she probably got to Kona using those race tactics.

Anyway....what is up with that? Is this what I should expect at triathlons. I'm still pretty upset by the whole thing, because I really try to display sportsmanship regardless of my situation, and this just takes a lot of the fun out of the sport, in my opinion.

Sarah,
That really is disappointing to hear. I've been fortunate to only have good experiences with both of my tri's. That would have made me angry and I would've had a hard time not saying anything to her. I'm just always shocked to see the lengths people will go to in order to win. Thankfully for every one person like that, I really believe there's hundreds more of friendly, helpful, honest athletes.

Awesome job though on your tri. I'd do anything to have results like yours right out of the gate. Well almost anything- lol. I wouldn't cheat by trying to sink the swimmer ahead of me- hehe.

Shelly
2012-05-23 9:07 PM
in reply to: #4219160

User image

Expert
Hammond
trirun26 - 2012-05-20 2:55 PM

Hi all!

Hope everyone is having a fantastic weekend of racing, training, family time or whatever it is that you are doingCool. I am getting my PF Devil worked out of me by my a physical therapist at my Chiro's office, boy did it hurt but I am thinking it is better. Also going to seen an acupuncturist for my neuropathy in my hands...I am thinking it is definately going to work!

Shelly...how is the PF devil? I ordered some prickly balls (oh, that does not sound right..lol) from road runner sports to do some tissue breaking, my PT recommended them. $24 for prickly balls for the PF devil, not bad and will let you know if they work. I am ready to run naked around down town if someone promises me PF will be gone!!Surprised

I am right there with ya. I'd gladly run around town naked if it would fix this stupid foot. It is ok some days and excruciating others. Even on the ok days though it still hurts. Just not so bad that I absolutely can't run.  Please let me know if the prickly balls help. I'll try anything. I'm just about to the point of seeing the sports medicine specialist. I would have already by now if there were a decent one in my city. Unfortunately, the nearest is 45 min. away. UUGGHH. But all the stretches, icing, tennis balls, splints, braces and arches are just not making it go away. It is slightly better overall though. Slightly.

Shelly

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Oriolepwr and QuincyF's Magical Mys-tri Tour "The Sequel" -On Tour!! Rss Feed  

of 51