BT Development Mentor Program Archives » kenj mentor group - back for another great season! CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 64

2013-01-11 12:40 PM
in reply to: #4573953

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
Subject: RE: kenj mentor group - back for another great season! CLOSED

Omahabritt - 2013-01-11 12:54 PM Brian-do you really not train with music or tv??? That's hardcore! I'm usually about 50% with 50% without. Ken & goofy runners- Good luck this weekend!!! Becky- great job getting back in the pool!! I finally made it yesterday too (after almost bagging again). It wasn't as bad as expected (not that I still don't need to do a lot of work). I picked up the book "Swim Speed Secrets for Swimmers and Triathletes" by Sheila Taormina after it was recommended by some folks on BT last year, but I only read a couple chapters & promptly forgot about it. Going to finish it starting this weekend! Anyone read it? Thoughts? I had spin class this morning & did some strength training. I'm headed back to the pool this afternoon, then have a 5-6 mile run tomorrow & a day off Sunday to round out the weekend.

I have not read that book, but did see that it had some positive reviews.  I have the total immersion book and it has some good information and the drills are good.  For me though it was tough to learn from a book. 

2013-01-11 12:48 PM
in reply to: #4571892

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
50andgettingfit - 2013-01-10 11:52 AM

Masters swim has been a good fit for me. I did take a series of lessons last year and while I didn't feel like it improved my time a whole lot, it did make me more efficient so I came out of the water with some energy reserved. I'm not a fast swimmer but I was expecting about a 2 hour IM swim and I came out in 1:42 so I think the lessons/masters helped a lot.

I'm not an evening workout person either but sometimes I intentionally plan something later in the day so I would get used to it leading up to my IM. I'm not sure if it helped physically but it did mentally to get out there and workout when I didn't want to

Yesterday, I went out for a ride with my Wednesday Women cycling group. We rode a little over 30 miles and I was beat! I think it was a combination of getting back into my routine and it being day 3 of my little detox. I finished the detox last night so I should be back to regular energy soon. I wouldn't do it any later in the season. I need/love my calories

This morning I did a Spinnerval ride with Dave and then this afternoon a run with my daughter.

Here's a question for the group. I'm pretty good about taking a day off a week. This early in the season I usually don't schedule one and just take it when I feel like I need to because some days are pretty light and I feel like I can 'get away' with it. Bad plan or good plan?

Sometimes we move too quick and I need to go back as I miss a post or 2! 

Other than when I was recovering from the surgery, if you see a rest day on my schedule it is because I got sick or was on an airplane traveling cross country.  Taper will bring on a rest day too. BUT, this is a very individual thing.  You need to listen to your body and follow a reasonable plan.  A swim or a recovery effort bike or run works for me, but for others an entire day off is more appropriate. 

So, I don't think your plan is a bad one as long as you are good at reading yourself and knowing when you should rest. 

2013-01-11 12:49 PM
in reply to: #4572288

User image

Veteran
Omaha, NE
Meulen - 2013-01-10 1:11 PM

bckey=AQ~~,AAAABAI06Hk~,I3WnLiyY6veyJIWmm6HYxvqso_xLUtKb&bclid=1884765673001&bctid=2082068673001[/QUOTE">!

You people who have done Kansas 70.3, any suggestions on what hotel to stay at?

Last year I stayed at the Topeka Clubhouse Inn & Suites. We got a great rate & it had free drinks, snacks & breakfast, as well as a small but nice outdoor pool (in a courtyard in the middle with lots of trees). We chose a hotel in Topeka instead of Lawrence, since it was cheaper & I thought the park was inbetween both cities. Well it's MUCH closer to Lawrence. (What made it worse was the hotel was on the west side of town, so you had to drive through town then to the park on a toll road.

My suggestion would be a hotel in Lawrence or on the east side of Topeka. That being said, if you're looking to save a few bucks & don't mind a little extra driving, I was happy with it.

For those looking to get a campsite, they start taking reservations January 22 (you have to call & pay upfront). Still trying to decide if I should do it again. I think I'll make myself decide by the 22nd!
2013-01-11 5:22 PM
in reply to: #4573953

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cold Spring, NY

Omahabritt - 2013-01-11 12:54 PM . I picked up the book "Swim Speed Secrets for Swimmers and Triathletes" by Sheila Taormina after it was recommended by some folks on BT last year, but I only read a couple chapters & promptly forgot about it. Going to finish it starting this weekend! Anyone read it? Thoughts?

I read this based on the reviews also.  I would put in a Spoiler Alert, but Brian already gave up the big "Secret for Swimmers", its all about the pulling.  Its not that I disagree... Once you have really good form, swimming must be about the pull (also 100 little things, but Mostly about your pull).  It seemed like she was trying to prove this point to an audience that became so wrapped up in form that they forgot that at some point, you just need to be stronger to go faster.  I think this point could have been made in an article, but capitalism works.  The product placement (Halo(tm) dry land swim bench) also goes a bit far, bordering on an infomercial.  All that said, I'm glad I read it.  It's a pretty quick read and as soon as I was done, it got passed on and I got myself some swim cords to tie to a door in my office.  But not the more expensive ones that they were shilling for in this book.

I don't know your swim background, but I got a lot of help watching the Total Immersion DVDs and they are on netflix (not streaming).  I also took a couple of lessons, and get tips at Masters.  Its not individual lessons, but it helps.  With form, self help only goes so far, and like Ken (I think it was Ken) said, its good to have someone look at your stroke.  Take any of this for what it is worth from a BOP swimmer.

2013-01-12 6:51 AM
in reply to: #4542655

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY

Morning and happy Saturday!

One of the downsides (at least for me) is the winter race series don't start till 10 am.  I guess it is to allow the streets to be cleaned if it snows or maybe warm up some.  Anyhow, leaving shortly for the race!

How is everyone else doing this weekend?  I hope you east coasters are taking advantage of the nice weather!

2013-01-12 10:35 AM

User image

Ugh.  12 degrees this morning in New Mexico.  I wimped out on my run but did ride the trainer, briefly.  Now it's off to work.    If you've got a weekend, enjoy it double for me!

Jaime

2013-01-12 10:54 AM
in reply to: #4574859

User image

Master
Sin City
kenj - 2013-01-12 4:51 AM

One of the downsides (at least for me) is the winter race series don't start till 10 am.  I guess it is to allow the streets to be cleaned if it snows or maybe warm up some.  Anyhow, leaving shortly for the race!

How is everyone else doing this weekend?  I hope you east coasters are taking advantage of the nice weather!

a session on the trainer and maybe some yoga. I've been slacking off strength and flexibility, would like to get back into it...slowly. last time I did a bunch of lunges and squats, it rendered my legs useless for a few days. Too much, too fast. Oops. Taking my hubby to Rocket Fizz. If you are a fan of Steve S., the man behind Steve in a Speedo, you may have seen his pictures of a recent trip to Las Vegas - I'm the "friend" that recommended the spots to check out, including Pinball Hall of Fame. he went to Rocket Fizz and I never heard of it until he told me about it. I'm not big on sodas or candies, but I do like to sample, and have a sweet treat every once in a while. It's not going to kill me. So we're going to check that out today. Tomorrow, I have a Cake Ride with BLV, (a 25 and 40 miler ride to celebrate BLV members birthday of the month ride), so its nice to see that back again. It's going to be COLD this weekend...unlike last week's weather!
2013-01-12 10:56 AM

User image

Master
Sin City
Completely non triathlon question...I notice that when I am posting on BT via tablet and I press enter to separate paragraphs, it doesn't show up on the forums. Why is that? Its annoying if I have to type the p HTML tags. I have Nexus 10 if that matters, as well as using BT's full site vs mobile.
2013-01-12 11:02 AM
in reply to: #4575039

User image

Veteran
Omaha, NE
CyborgQueen - 2013-01-12 10:56 AM

Completely non triathlon question...I notice that when I am posting on BT via tablet and I press enter to separate paragraphs, it doesn't show up on the forums. Why is that? Its annoying if I have to type the p HTML tags. I have Nexus 10 if that matters, as well as using BT's full site vs mobile.

Go to settings, then forum settings, & where it says "Use rich editor for blog and forum posts?", select "No". Then it should work!
2013-01-12 12:41 PM
in reply to: #4575017

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
RunningJoke - 2013-01-12 11:35 AM

Ugh.  12 degrees this morning in New Mexico.  I wimped out on my run but did ride the trainer, briefly.  Now it's off to work.    If you've got a weekend, enjoy it double for me!

Jaime

I don't blame you Jaime!  That is cold!  Glad you got a ride in!

2013-01-12 12:58 PM

User image

Veteran
Got in a 30 mile ride this morning.. wet from all of the rain, but nevertheless, good to get outside. It was a slow ride, but I have not been outside on the bike since October. Overall had a good week of staying active considering how I felt for the last two weeks.

Hope everyone is enjoying their weekend.

2013-01-12 6:16 PM
in reply to: #4575044

User image

Master
Sin City
Omahabritt - 2013-01-12 9:02 AM

CyborgQueen - 2013-01-12 10:56 AM

Go to settings, then forum settings, & where it says "Use rich editor for blog and forum posts?", select "No". Then it should work!

Sweet
Thanks!!

Hope it works now...
2013-01-12 6:20 PM
in reply to: #4574859

User image

Expert
San Jose
kenj - 2013-01-12 4:51 AM

How was your race Ken?

2013-01-12 6:43 PM
in reply to: #4575466

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
50andgettingfit - 2013-01-12 7:20 PM
kenj - 2013-01-12 4:51 AM<p>Morning and happy Saturday!</p><p>One of the downsides (at least for me) is the winter race series don't start till 10 am.  I guess it is to allow the streets to be cleaned if it snows or maybe warm up some.  Anyhow, leaving shortly for the race!</p><p>How is everyone else doing this weekend?  I hope you east coasters are taking advantage of the nice weather!</p><p>
</p><p>How was your race Ken?</p>
Race was good, following the plan that doesn't want me to go all out so I ran at a fairly comfortable pace. Finished at a bit over 50 minutes. Faster than the plan called for, but not on the edge. Great day for the race though! 50 degrees, sunny and no wind.
2013-01-13 6:53 AM

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY

Good Sunday morning folks! 

It is still nice here, but heading to the basement for a trainer ride. With a prescribed interval workout that will be pretty hard, it is a better workout on the trainer I find. 

How are you all doing with your January goals?

2013-01-13 9:21 AM
in reply to: #4575806

User image

Veteran
kenj - 2013-01-13 7:53 AM

It is still nice here, but heading to the basement for a trainer ride. With a prescribed interval workout that will be pretty hard, it is a better workout on the trainer I find. 

Feeling better about my goals after not being able to workout all of last week. Definitely feeling tired, but happy. Going to take tomorrow off to recover some, I was very sluggish on my run this morning.

2013-01-13 10:55 AM
in reply to: #4575911

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
ramiedd - 2013-01-13 10:21 AM
kenj - 2013-01-13 7:53 AM

Feeling better about my goals after not being able to workout all of last week. Definitely feeling tired, but happy. Going to take tomorrow off to recover some, I was very sluggish on my run this morning.

Glad you are feeling better Eddie!

2013-01-13 3:31 PM

User image

Master
Sin City
31 miles in 35 degree weather...frickin' cold....cut my 40 mile ride a little short.

I don't know if I pushed it a little hard, feels like I pushed it somewhat, but not RPE 9-10. Noticed my HR was in the upper zones 175-180 more often. I wonder if the cold weather attributed to it. This is the coldest temps I've ridden in. Definitely need another long layer as my legs was practically frozen. it is unusual for 30 degree weather to last long enough. Learned what i need at certain temps. Anyone notice that their HR gets higher for colder weather than normal?
2013-01-13 3:50 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Normal, Ill.

I ran 13.1 training run yesterday in 1:58.  That may not be fast for you but blazing for me.  That is about 5 days after the worst FTP test on the bike of my life.  Then the next time I went downstairs to ride found a flat tire.  I wonder if that affected things.  We are tossing the test either way.  Trying to balance more running earlier in the year with consistent bike improvement and it's not easy.  The long run is on day one of my week and I've been trying to to bike intensity on tired legs. Modifying the plan.  Full speed ahead. 

You guys write ALOT!  I have to catch up. 

2013-01-13 3:55 PM
in reply to: #4576354

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY

CyborgQueen - 2013-01-13 4:31 PM 31 miles in 35 degree weather...frickin' cold....cut my 40 mile ride a little short. I don't know if I pushed it a little hard, feels like I pushed it somewhat, but not RPE 9-10. Noticed my HR was in the upper zones 175-180 more often. I wonder if the cold weather attributed to it. This is the coldest temps I've ridden in. Definitely need another long layer as my legs was practically frozen. it is unusual for 30 degree weather to last long enough. Learned what i need at certain temps. Anyone notice that their HR gets higher for colder weather than normal?

Never remember the cold raising my HR, usually a little bit of the oposite.  When I did Florida in 2010 and it was so cold the first half of the bike, it did make my legs ache, but no issues with HR.  That is interesting.  Good for you get out in it though.

How strange is it in mid-January it is in the 60's here in NY and 30's in Vegas!

2013-01-13 3:56 PM
in reply to: #4576363

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
IceManScott - 2013-01-13 4:50 PM

I ran 13.1 training run yesterday in 1:58.  That may not be fast for you but blazing for me.  That is about 5 days after the worst FTP test on the bike of my life.  Then the next time I went downstairs to ride found a flat tire.  I wonder if that affected things.  We are tossing the test either way.  Trying to balance more running earlier in the year with consistent bike improvement and it's not easy.  The long run is on day one of my week and I've been trying to to bike intensity on tired legs. Modifying the plan.  Full speed ahead. 

You guys write ALOT!  I have to catch up. 

Great pace Ice!  I know lots of people that would be jealous of that pace in a race, let alone training.

Yes, I am guessing that the flat sabatoged your test!

2013-01-13 5:23 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Normal, Ill.
I am also wondering about leftover flu.  I had it about 3 weeks.  And I feel strong again yesterday and today.  I also added more protein to the diet starting at breakfast plus two to four pieces of wheat bread, whole grain.  I was on a Paleo Diet for a long while.  Still a lot of fruits and veggies, but more protein.  Wondering about that too.   Dropping a few pounds since Christmas.  All good.
2013-01-13 8:18 PM

User image

Sounds like an awesome run, Ice!  Maybe the flu break was good for you.

I took more time off than I meant to this weekend, but with several 12 hour shifts and lousy weather it happens.  I was feeling pretty beat up on Thursday, so I'm telling myself I needed the break!  Now I'm raring to go...gonna do a trainer ride this evening and hit the pool tomorrow. 

2013-01-13 8:18 PM

User image

New user
Good weekend of training--had a really nice 12 mile run on Saturday morning, most of it with a small group of people from my running group. Weather was foggy (humid) but a perfect temperature before the sun burned through, and I felt pretty good. Did the second half faster than the first which is not normal for me.

Today got out on the road bike for the first time this year, and immediately felt how out of shape my cycling muscles are! Not too worried, I get it back quickly, but nothing like a couple of group sprints to highlight the lack of conditioning in my quads!

But on the ride I met a woman who did IM Louisville last year, her first IM, so I chatted with her for a while and got some good feedback from her, so that was a bonus!

Hope everyone had a great weekend!
2013-01-14 4:14 AM
in reply to: #4576651

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
RunningJoke - 2013-01-13 9:18 PM

Sounds like an awesome run, Ice!  Maybe the flu break was good for you.

I took more time off than I meant to this weekend, but with several 12 hour shifts and lousy weather it happens.  I was feeling pretty beat up on Thursday, so I'm telling myself I needed the break!  Now I'm raring to go...gonna do a trainer ride this evening and hit the pool tomorrow. 

Sometimes a break and a couple of days off is just what you need!  Have a great swim!

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » kenj mentor group - back for another great season! CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 64